Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Tower of the Heavens (Inactive)

Game Master bbangerter

Mines


1,101 to 1,150 of 1,760 << first < prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | next > last >>

Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

oops forgot the roll.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


"If we are to successfully take out their leaders without getting ourselves killed we will need to be stealthy and be able to run away quickly if they notice us. This is the type of people we will most need."

In game terms, people with high dex and high con; but mostly high dex.

Diplomacy Assist: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


Unknown

You only have a +4 to diplomacy Alma, but regardless...

After Alma's rousing speech many of the mercenaries give a small cheer.

"That's right, these are our lands."

"We must drive the creatures back into the mountains."

"Chase them into the mountains and exterminate them in their holes."

Sav interrupts them, "Many of you will still be needed here to protect this area. Alma and Warren choose out four to go with you in this mission. Make haste. Goblins will most likely attack at night, but if they are feeling bold they won't hesitate to attack during the daylight."

Overland Map

Each grid square represents a half mile, you are currently at J20, the next settlement is nestled in the forest at J4. Following the road you can move at about 3 miles per hour, and it would take you 8 hours. Cutting straight across country you can move at about 2 miles per hour. Cutting a straight path across will take you about 4 hours. You are free to make your own path though based on those movement rates.

Hand picking, I'll swap the Str and Dex scores of the generic mercenaries I posted earlier, so Str 12, Con 12, Dex 14.


Eying the crowd, Warren points to several. "Let's be off, then. If we cut across the land we can make it early and see what Calid thinks of the situation."


Unknown

Cutting straight across it is then

The four mercenaries with you are talkative at first, but soon become silent as perhaps the dangerous nature of the mission they have joined you on sinks in. The first few hours pass uneventfully and you reach the wooded area without difficulty. The trees are sparse, with 20 to 30 feet between each. They have a wide spread of low hanging branches. Many are showing signs of the drought with some wilting. Still perhaps a mile away you can see a few thin tendrils of smoke rising in the western sky. Most likely these are from cooking fires in the settlement.

Irina, Markov, Warren:
Sitting on the ground beneath the low hanging branches of a tree you spot three squat figures with greenish skin, scrawny bodies and oversized heads, goblins. They do not seem to have noticed you yet. They are about 100 feet away.

Will get a map up tonight.


Unknown

Map


Realizing that the goblins are too close to effectively sneak up on, Warren mutters an enchantment and then runs towards them.

Casting Expeditious retreat, then moving to L31.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

Alma follows as quickly as he can.


Irina dismounts, moves up to the tree in front of her, readies her crossbow and motions for the mercenaries to as well. She gestures to the one in J10, and gives the ready signal.

I know D&D mechanics don't work that way, but it makes sense for them to focus their fire. Maybe if it one's down early, the extra arrows will "hit" the goblin behind it.

When Warren is close, Irina gives the "loose" signal and fires.

Attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Confirm: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 1


Unknown

As everyone starts moving the mercenaries all draw their short bows and move up to the tree behind Irina.

Warren and Alma do not get very far and Irina has just reached the tree with her loaded crossbow when the goblins spot the group.

Surprise round, party may each take a single standard action.
Irina, Warrens not close yet, did you want to use the surprise round to take your shot and give the signal?

Updated map


Warren will move another 40 feet forward.


Yes. That massive hit must not go to waste!


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

Alma continues to ride his horse towards the goblins as quickly as possible.


Unknown

Assuming Markov is still busy with his move, so GMPC'd. Currently based on distance all ranged attacks with light xbos and shortbows is at -2
Alma, I'm assuming you are still mounted at present, so that would put at at the 23 column, so L23?

Markov also takes a shot with his crossbow
Attack: 1d20 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (10) + 3 - 2 = 11
but the shot is short.

The four mercenaries loose their arrows, trying to take down the goblin indicated by Irina.
Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 - 2 = 14
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2
Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 - 2 = 18
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4
Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 - 2 = 5
Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 - 2 = 10

Between Irina's bolt and the archers one of the goblins falls over J10

High pitched yelps of surprise and fear come from the two goblins still standing.

Alma is up first in initiative, then the goblins before everyone else.
As usual will update the map tonight.


Unknown

Update map

Warren I only moved you 20'. Surprise round you only get one move or one standard action.

FYI Alma, on horseback your movement rate is 40'.


If that first thing I did was the surprise round, then I shouldn't have moved at all as I spent the time casting my spell.


Unknown

Oh wait, the spell would have doubled your movement in any case, so you should indeed be another 20' forward.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

Alma races forward to L15


Unknown

Frantically stepping backward to get some cover under the tree the lead goblin pulls forth a short bow and takes a shot at Alma.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 1

All the while the goblin is screaming, "Bijí na poplach! Bijí na poplach!"

Irina - goblin:
Sound the alarm! Sound the alarm!

The second goblin also steps under the overhanging branches and pulls a small horn from its belt and gives a panicked blow on the horn, the burst of sound coming to you clearly.

Party may act
Updated map


Warren charges past the first goblin towards the second (Taking an AoO from the first) and swings at it with his sword.

Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Irina picks up her skirts and dashes forward.

Action: run to K12


Unknown

The first goblin is currently using a bow, so is not threatening for an AoO

The sound of the horn sputters as the goblin takes a wound from Warrens attack.

The four mercenaries knock another arrow each as they move forward, then let loose another volley,

Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 6 ⇒ (11) + 2 - 6 = 7
Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 6 ⇒ (13) + 2 - 6 = 9
Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 6 ⇒ (2) + 2 - 6 = -2
Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 6 ⇒ (13) + 2 - 6 = 9

but for fear of striking allies are unable to land a hit.

Markov reloads his crossbow then advances as well, hoping to reduce the range before taking another shot.

Alma is up


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

Move to K11

Sliding off his horse while drawing his long sword and shield, Alma slashes at the adjacent goblin.

Attack w/ Power Attack: 1d20 + 6 - 1 ⇒ (9) + 6 - 1 = 14
Damage: 1d8 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 2 = 6


Unknown

Alma is unable to land a hit.

The goblin with the bow drops it and pulls free its short blade, stabbing at Warren.

Attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

The blade is deflected by Warren's armor.

The goblin with the horn attempts to flee, running full speed due west.
Warren you may take an AoO. The goblin will end at K(-16) if it is not killed.

Party may act
Alma is at K11. Irina at K12. Warren at K10. Markov at O26
The goblin at K9 is the one that is trying to flee. The other is still as shown on the map.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

that's odd that I missed with a 14, one of our henchmen hit with his bow on a 14.

Alma swings again.

Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Crit confirmation: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

If I can still move after my attack, I follow the fleeing goblin, otherwise, I 5 foot step on top of what I assume is now a dead goblin.


Unknown

They were flat footed then during the surprise round.

Alma drops the remaining nearby goblin and begins chasing after the fleeing one. It is plain though that in his heavy armor he isn't going to be able to catch up to the creature.


AoO: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

After swinging at the goblin, Warren runs after it--Stopping just short of it's position. K-16


Unknown

The poor goblin doesn't make it more than about two steps before Warren cuts it down with his blade. Alma having started into motion to chase it down pulls up short a few feet past the creature.

All 3 goblins are now unconscious.


"That horn blast was a warning signal. 'Sound the alarm' that one had said. If one blast is 'danger', I wonder if two is all clear. There's no way the other goblins didn't hear that, as abbreviated as it was."

Irina picks up the horn, wipes it off with a grimace, and unless somebody has a compelling argument against trying it, she blows two blasts into the horn.

Clearly playing goblin horns is not her special talent, but she should be able to make a couple sounds.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"We should try to take some form of defensive posture until we know if more are coming."

Alma slices off a ear from each goblin, wiping off the blood in the grass, then looks for long enough grass to wrap the ears in. He then puts the wrapped up ears in his backpack.


Unknown

The horn is poorly made from the horn of a mountain goat. The entire thing is filthy. Irina gives it two blasts that sound loudly in the thin woods.

There are plenty of short weeds and other plant growth to place the grisly ears in, though they bleed only a little.

One of the mercenaries looks at Alma expectantly, "Was my arrow that felled that one." he says gesturing the the one with two arrows and Irina's crossbow bolt sticking out of it.

What defensive measures would you like to take? The woods are pretty much the same as far as you can in in any direction, so you can use the current map to setup any positions you'd like.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"I don't believe there is a good way to confirm who officially got the kill. The fair thing to do is simply split the reward for it between those who made accurate strikes. Wouldn't you agree?"

diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22


Warren pulls out his bow and looks to the north for any more goblins.
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Readied action to shoot and goblins that come within 100 feet.

Without turning around, Warren speaks to the others, "We can discuss the distribution of bounty later. Right now we need to be ready to fight more goblins."
Diplomacy assist: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5


Unknown

The mercenary somewhat reluctantly agrees to Alma's plan to split any gold later. All four of them take up positions behind trees, looking to the north with bows drawn and arrows nocked.

Half an hour passes with no sign of movement or life in the woods beyond a few birds and squirrels.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

I suggest we continue on towards our destination, but cautiously.


"Agreed. Everyone should keep their weapons out. Let's move on"


Unknown

Another ten minutes of travel gets you within sight of the settlement. Plowed fields and scattered buildings can be seen to the southwest of you.

Mercenaries stand atop the two northern most buildings, short bows out and arrows nocked loosely. More mercenaries can be seen on the ground standing behind picket lines, also with bows drawn. One figure stands out among those on the roofs, a man in a burnished breastplate, also with a bow in hand.

To the north of the settlement, about 150 feet away are numerous goblins taking cover behind trees or under the branches. Here and there on the ground between the two forces you can see the occasional feather of an arrow sticking up from the ground. Even farther north (off the visible map) are more goblins milling about, perhaps twice as many as those taking cover. Walking among them is a larger creature, larger than a human, though you can't make out much at this distance.

Both the defenders and the goblins spot you making your way towards the buildings. After a very brief commotion in the goblin camp over a dozen of the creatures start sprinting from the encampment heading east and slightly south, then turn almost due south, clearly looking to head you off. They are currently at/near -J70

Wooded Settlement

I will need new init rolls from everyone. You are not, strictly speaking, in combat at present though.

I will zoom the map in for later updates, so long as I can reasonably keep relevant creatures in the view of the map as needed.


"This is gonna be close. I suggest we run for it."


Or lead them south and into arrow range for those inside the town."

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17


"That might work better, unless the rest of the goblins choose to make use of the distraction and attack en mass."

Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

init: 1d20 ⇒ 15


Turning to Alma, "What is your call?"


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"Let's hope the goblins are not smart enough to attack en mass. Let's lead them south and get some free shots from the town archers."


Unknown

After a quick discussion the group heads south trying to draw the goblins past the archers.

A dozen men from the settlement move eastward a short distance. Unable to gain ground on you the goblins slow, wary of the archers. A number of shots are fired at long range by both goblins and men.

Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (5) + 2 - 4 = 3
Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (1) + 2 - 4 = -1
Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (13) + 2 - 4 = 11
Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (19) + 2 - 4 = 17
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4
Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (5) + 2 - 4 = 3
Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (20) + 2 - 4 = 18
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2
Crit Confirm: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (5) + 2 - 4 = 3
Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (14) + 2 - 4 = 12
Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (4) + 2 - 4 = 2

Attack: 1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 - 4 = 8
Attack: 1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 - 4 = 4
Attack: 1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 - 4 = 3
Attack: 1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 - 4 = 19
Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 3
Attack: 1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 - 4 = 11
Attack: 1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 - 4 = 8

Two goblins and one of the men take arrow wounds.

With some shouting from the settlement to save their arrows the archers back off, likewise the goblins retreat back to safety.

With the goblins safely in the distance again you are able to approach the settlement. The man in the breastplate climbs down from the roof and strides confidently over to you, extending a hand, "If you've come to help against the goblins you are a welcome addition, though things look grim, we are badly outnumbered here. And..." he pauses to take a breath, concern on his face, "...they have prisoners."


Eyes widening in surprise, Warren quickly recovers his emotions and begins asking questions. [ooc](I'm too lazy to ask these one at a time, but Warren will wait for a response between each question before asking the next.}[//oc]
"How many prisoners?"

"How long ago?"

"Do you know where they are being held?"

"Are all of these prisoners fighting men, or are there women and children as well?"


Unknown

You could just role play that as a stream of rapidly asked questions without stopping to breath between each one ;)

"Sorry, I didn't introduce myself, I'm Calid. Calid Lyeran. I believe at least three more prisoners, but we haven't really been able to get close enough to tell for sure, or verify gender or ages. They are held in the center..."

A loud bellowing from the north draws your attention. The large brutish creature is striding forward, a bound human held aloft in front of it. The creature stops 100 feet or so from the picket line. It shouts, clearly being heard across the distance, speaking with a thick accent in common, "Surrender puny humans, or another one dies."

Calid's face goes pale and many of the mercenaries start cursing under their breath.

Map


Knowledge Nature to identify this creature: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26


Unknown

Irina:
Its an ogre. Incredibly strong, generally of limited intelligence. The fact that this can speak common suggests it might be above average. Ogres are known for their excessive cruelty.


"Ogre. Smart one, too. It turns my stomach, but that prisoner is already dead. We're here to save a settlement, not just one man."


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"While I agree Irina, perhaps we can we can distract them, that will have them pay more attention to us then to their prisoners. Perhaps, try to draw the goblins out from the left flank, so we can pick several goblins off from the right or vice versa."

1,101 to 1,150 of 1,760 << first < prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tower of the Heavens All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.