Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Tower of the Heavens

Game Master bbangerter

Mines


1,001 to 1,050 of 1,760 << first < prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | next > last >>

Unknown

The Baronesses eyes are red and puffy. She is perhaps 60 years of age, her face and hands showing the wrinkles of age, her hair streaked with gray. She is sitting on a small stool, her guardsman Jarvak stretched out on the cot. "That... really isn't necessary" she says to Warren, though she does not withdraw her hand till he is done. "I understand I have you four to thank for saving my life from those horrible creatures. If you are willing, tell me a little about yourselves?"


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

Bowing to the Baroness. "I am Alma of the Mithril Rose, disciple of righteousness. We are happy to help those in need."


"I am called Warren; most of my time is spent hunting those creatures that would harm the innocent and the defenseless."


Unknown

"Let me welcome you to Coran then Alma of the Mithril Rose. Do you also speak on behalf of your companions? They seem a little shy." She says the last with a friendly smile. "And you may call me Lillian. I always found formal titles a bit stuffy. Having a title can come in handy at times you can be sure, but all that m'lady, and baroness, can grow wearisome." The last is said with a small touch of mock formality accompanied by an overly dramatic bow from her sitting position.

Ninja post by Warren

"Ah, a noble, if dangerous cause. Though I wouldn't normally consider myself defenseless, or innocent. But then no politician in this city is really innocent. Though what each of us might be guilty of would vary greatly, and probably in large part depend upon the teller."


"I too have found that a person's guilt varies with the teller," Irina says. "And usually augmented with every new person who tells it. Irina Moretskya," she adds, extending a hand in friendly greeting.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"At times, I do speak for my companions, as often are goal is one." pausing for a moment, as if about to chuckle, "At other times, they spout out whichever thing comes to their mind. I guess that is the problem with free will... Everybody has it."

Taking a more serious tone, "I have reason to believe one of the so-called innocent politicians could be involved with these attacks. Who would want to remove you from your post?"


Unknown

The baronesses grip is firm and strong. "Yes, there is truth to that my dear lady. Sorting fact from fiction is a quagmire and to often rumor spreads like wildfire without reason or restraint."

A quizzical look crosses her features at Alma's comment, "A person compelled to do good does not become good at heart. Lead in righteousness and some will choose to follow. But perhaps we can talk philosophy another time."

"Which noble do you believe is behind this? Any of a dozen or so of the nobles could have wished me removed at one point or another. To actually carry that out though... no, I'm not so sure I was a target here. There is a change taking place in the political undercurrents. It runs deeper than our usual plotting and posturing for power. Deeper and more dangerous. I believe that wretched woman down the hall was the more likely target."


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"We had been tracking these man who goes by the name of Morag. He is believed to be working with Duke Baelson. Morag's heart is cold as ice. What can you tell us about the Duke?.

Detect Evil on the Baroness


"I wouldn't bother trying to use sense on him, Lillian. You should be aware that Alma is the gods' gift to all humanity. Just wait till he flashes his baby blues at you and you'll know it."


Unknown

"Duke Baelson is a hard man, trained in the way of the open hand. He runs an academy here in the city, or rather has some retainers that run it. His house is second only to that of Queen Mosal in influence. The man is driven by both greed and power, but is sufficiently disciplined to bide his time to get what he wants."

Alma:
You sense no evil in Baroness Lillian Duluth

Lillian gives out a laugh, which comes out more of a cackle due to her age. "Well I think I'm a bit to old to be wooed by a pair of pretty eyes Irina." Taking a brief moment to compose herself, she stretches out a hand to briefly touch Alma's arm, "Oh, I don't intend to offend Alma, the paladins of the Mithril Rose are held in high regard. They do a good service here in the city and are a symbol of peace."

"Well I must see to poor Jarvak." Her face flashes briefly with anguish and sorrow. "If you do not have other responsibilities, please, all of you, come to my estates here in city an hour before noon. I should like to reward you for your timely appearance this evening."

Outside in the hallway you hear the front door open, and the old priest talking to a man in the hallway, one of the city guard.


Male Half-Elf Alchemist/3 HP 16/20

Walking up to the guard. "You didn't happen to bring the captain did you? That would save us time in having to explain everything."


Unknown

A plain looking man dressed in the uniform of the city guard is standing in the hallway. "The barkeep mentioned you wanted to speak with Captain Halmes. She is off duty at the moment, but she will be briefed in the morning. I don't expect to take much of your time sir, I just need a description from you and your friends of what transpired tonight. Beast men attacking people in the city... well this is a first for that, but it's not the strangest thing that has happened around here over the years."


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"It is as simple as that, the werebeasts were numerous, fortunately we were able to defeat them and help save some lives. The question is, how many more are there still out there. Carise in the other room can give you details of what happened in the room she was in. I do not know if words were spoken before the attack happened."


"There were also some of the creatures that escaped. At least, we suspect those who threw the alchemist's fire through the windows were most likely monsters as well."


Unknown

The guard scribbles furiously on a sheet of paper as you speak. "Well I shall go and talk with this Carise as well then. James and Dace spoke highly of your fighting the creatures." The guard shakes his head, "Troublesome days these. Two murders last night, and another attempted one tonight. And the goblins stirring from their mountain caves again."

If no one has any further comments we will move on to the following day, just let me know your plans for the next day. Experience is 1350 each for the days events and the battle.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

In the morning I will meet with the Leader of the Mithril Rose - Commander Quaine if I recall correctly. How many HP do we heal from the nights sleep?


Waking up early the next morning, Warren will begin helping the old priest with whatever fixing-up he is able to do.


Male Half-Elf Alchemist/3 HP 16/20

Before sleeping markov will make a clw extract.
1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
I forgot how much hp im missing but i think that should cover it.


Unknown

Markov is at full HP. Everyone else will heal 1 HP/level after resting for 8 hours, putting Alma at 7, Warren at 5, and Irina at 12.

The old priest wakes you in the morning. "I don't have enough to offer you breakfast, but I can provide some healing for your wounds if you can help me fix a few things around here. The roof needs some repairs, got a couple of leaks. And I have a small garden out back that could use some extra weeding. Or I've been trying to get a couple of extra rooms built if your handy with a saw and hammer." He shows you out back where a 15' square garden that is struggling in the drought is. To one side of the building is the partially completed framing of a new room. "You've done a good deed, risking your lives and saving the Baroness. She cares for the people under her watch more than most of the other nobles, is both fair and just with them. It would be a blow this city to have lost her. I thank you for that."

Anyone willing to assist him for a couple hours will receive a CLW cast on them at 1d8+5.


Irina will certainly tend to the garden, pulling all the weeds, and fashioning small watering dikes around the plants' bases to funnel what water there is. She cuts off the weeds' roots and uses the leaves and stems as mulch to further improve the soil.

Healing: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


Climbing on top of the roof Warren starts patching up the holes, sealing them against water.

Healing: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

Alma assists Warren with the roof. As it gets closer to 9am, he finishes up and get ready to attend the thieves trial.

Healing: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


Unknown

Warren is healed for 13, not 11.

Two others, their close covered with the dust of travel, join in the work outside, hammering and sawing at boards to complete the framing of the new rooms. Neither Carise or her friends make an appearance. The old priest works alongside Irina, as best as he is able, jabbing at the weeds with a slim metal rod to loosen up the dirt around them and using a claw like tool to grab them at the base and pull them loose. The work is strenuous for the old man though and he takes frequent breaks.

With a few hours of work behind you the priest cleans himself up a bit then heals your wounds as promised. "Well, stop by for a visit again my friends, preferably under better circumstances" he grins.

Alma is heading off to the trial then to speak with Commander Quaine again?
Does anyone else have other plans they'd like to pursue during the morning?
The Baroness is expecting you around 11 AM


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

I had forgotten that I had already checked in with Commander Quaine. So I will go to the trial.


Unknown

Arriving at the prison house you find a guard to direct you to into a small side building where a number of men and women in chains lined along one wall. A magistrate at one end of the room is currently hearing the cases and passing judgement. Logan Drais is seated on a bench to one side and motions for you to take a seat near him.

Guardsman Johnson, one of the guards who was there that night, leads the half-elf Marise and her three friends forward to the front of the room where they undergo the scrutiny of the magistrate.

"Logan Drais", the magistrate calls out in a clear voice. "these four are accused of robbing you of your rightful property two nights ago. I call upon you to witness of the events of that evening."

Standing with the aid of his cane Logan addresses the magistrate, "Certainly magistrate. It is all rather simple really. I was browsing some of the local merchant shops to see if I might find a ring that might please my eye. I was struck from behind after leaving one of the shops and thrown to the ground. A this pendant" he hold ups the pendant, "had been torn from my neck. Fortuitously there were some travelers passing through that part of the city at that time who saw my distress and gave chase. They were able to apprehend these thieves and turn them over to the city guard." Logan then seats himself on the bench again.

The magistrate looks down at a sheaf of papers in his hands, running his eyes over the words. He then peers down at Alma, "Are you Alma? Paladin of the Order of the Mithril Rose?" With a grim smile he continues, "That always makes things a bit simpler. I call upon you, Alma of the Mithril Rose, to witness of the events of that evening."


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

Rising from his seat, "Yes I am Magistrate. My companions and I had just entered the city. Darkness had began to creep in from the east. We heard the cry of 'THIEVES'. We saw them running so we gave chase. I immediately called for the guards which some other citizens began echoing. Seeing that the guards would not be there in time, my companions and I did what any lawful citizen would do. We jumped into action to help protect this great city from the wicked."

Pausing for a moment. Alma looks around the room briefly. Beaming with great pride he continues, "We were able to apprehend this filth and return the locket to its rightful owners. Hopefully, their sentence will be forceful enough to encourage them and others to avoid their dark path."

I remain standing in the even that the magistrate has any follow up questions, otherwise I will sit back down


While Alma is at the court hearing, Warren will ask around about the goblin attacks.

Gather Information: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13


Irina will find Markov this morning and pick his brain about alchemical things.


Male Half-Elf Alchemist/3 HP 16/20

Markov is found outside with Talyn flying around.


Unknown

"Thank you for your witness Alma." He then turns to the accused. "This is a first time offense for most of you, Marise Da'aleo however, this is your third offense. Do any of you have anything to say on your behalf in this matter?" All shake their heads grimly.

"Marise Da'aleo, in accordance with the laws of our city, to which you have previously been warned, you are hereby condemned to have your left hand removed. May this prove sufficient that you will give up your ways of thievery and seek hereafter to live an honest life. All of you are further fined an amount of ten gold crowns each." Marise's face is pale as she and her companions are led away.

Warren:
Concern over the goblin attacks varies. The city locals seem largely unconcerned, while those who live in outlying settlements but are in town to buy, sell or trade are quite concerned about it. There is a undertone of fear of another goblin war waiting to spill forth.

The attack itself was on a small thorp of about 30 people. Reports vary that anywhere from 2-5 people were slain in the attack by 10-20 goblins, and all indications are that they raided food supplies and burned several farm plots and homes.

The attack took place in the foothills of the Chaggath Spine mountain range to the north about two days journey from the city, several miles west of the main road that goes over the spine.

The authorities are looking to hire mercenaries to assist in scouting out the area and destroying any goblins in the vicinity. Pay is 2sp per day, plus 5gp per head for the goblins. A generous fortune waiting to be made according to most folk, on top of any spoils one might take from the goblins.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

Satisfied with the judgement of the magistrate. Alma returns to Irina and Markov.


Returning to the rest of the group, Warren then leads the way the where Baroness Lilian told them to meet her.


Unknown

The Duluth estate in the city is humble by the standards of the rich. An iron fence surrounds two acres of grounds sporting flower gardens and a pair of small fountains. A pair of armed guards stops you at the gate, but upon learning of who you are allow you inside and send you up to the front entrance.

A liveried servant in red and gold takes Alma's and Irina's horses around to a small stables attached to the two story building in the center of the grounds. The door opens as you step into the front porch area, where another servant gives you a slight bow and holds the door open for you to enter. "Come in, come in. The Baroness said she was expecting guests today."

The entrance immediately opens up into a large room, a balcony supported by white columns looks down on the area. A thick rug adorns the center of the room, covering a large portion of the hard wood floors. Two silver candelabra are affixed to each wall. Several cushioned chairs line the walls of the room.

A well dressed young man, perhaps a year over twenty, enters the room from a side door on the west wall. He seems a little startled to see you standing in the entryway. With a tone of arrogance he asks, "Sam, what are these commoners doing here?"

Taken a back and stumbling over the words the servant at the door responds, "They... they are guests of the baroness."


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

Alma approaches the young man offering him his hand for a hand shake, "Hello good sir, I am Alma of the Mithril Rose. These are my companions, Warren, Markov and the pretty one in the back is Irina. The baroness has requested that we come and meet with her this day.

May I ask your name?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Detect Evil on the arrogant punk


Unknown

Alma:
You sense no evil in the young man.

The young man deliberately ignores Alma's outstretched hand. With a sneer, "Excuse me. I've things to take care of." He sniffs and swaggers across the room and passes through another door.

"I'll let the baroness know you are here", says the servant who let you in. He heads down a hall at the south end of the room and knocks at a door in the hallway. After a brief pause he opens the door and sticks his head in. Re-emerging a moment letter he motions you to come forward and shows you into a large well lit study. Bookshelves cover the west wall, and to the south rich red drapes hang open to a let the outside light in through a large window overlooking a bed of roses. On the north wall is a painting of a couple of about age thirty. Both have features recognizable from the young man you met a moment earlier. Beneath the painting sits the baroness at a oak writing desk. Stacks of papers cover one side of the desk and a few ornamental statuettes sit in one corner of the desk.

[b]"Sam, could you get our guests something to drink please."

"Yes madam, I will see to it." Sam closes the door quietly behind him.

Smiling at all of you the baroness lets out a soft sigh, "I hope you had a good nights rest, and were not haunted by last nights horrors. You will be pleased to know Jarvak is doing well, though feeling quite week. He wished me to give you his thanks. Well first things first." She stands and comes around the desk, four folded pieces of paper in her hands with a wax seal holding the documents closed. She hands each of you one of the documents. "Each of these is a letter of credit. Any merchant or craftsman in the town should honor these. I ask that you make good use of them."

Each of the letters of credit may be used once to purchase a single item worth up to 1000gp. That could be getting a masterwork piece of armor enchanted, buying a wand, or other magic item, etc. Anything from the four primary rule books or Ultimate Equipment is valid for this.

She returns to her desk and eases herself back into the chair, her voice one of grave seriousness. "I've thought more about what you said last night. I still don't believe I was the target of the attack. But Carise, as much as I despise the woman, has her uses. Her information is good. If someone is looking for a hired blade, and I don't think there is any reason to believe they aren't. Then their seeking out Carise is troubling. There are plenty of thugs in the city who might hire out for such a thing, but anyone Carise would be able to put them in contact with would be more than just an average cut-throat. I fear the target may be someone with a high profile. One of the nobles, or the head of the merchants guild, or perhaps the heads of one of the churches. You said last night you believed Duke Baelson was behind this some how. Can you recall anything more than what you told me last night about why you believe this?"


"Mostly because we believed the hit had been hired for us, after we eluded the beasts outside the city."


Unknown

"Where outside the city did you run into these creatures before? The Dukes land holdings range from about three days west of here to Gumlat, and south of the main road to the edge of the desert."


"Gumlat was where we first met the were-creatures."


Unknown

"This quite the tangle puzzle you seem to be involved in." Half to herself, "If you were in Gumlat why did the duke not just have you apprehended?"


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"Is the duke powerful enough to simply arrest someone with out cause? Perhaps, he is toying with us for his own amusement. Leading us like a lamb to the slaughter ... if so i'm as calm as a summers morning."


Alma wrote:
"Is the duke powerful enough to simply arrest someone with out cause? Perhaps, he is toying with us for his own amusement. Leading us like a lamb to the slaughter ... if so i'm as calm as a summers morning."

I actually got that one.


Unknown

"They are his land holdings, he is the authority there. He could have certainly had you apprehended for questioning. He could not have held you there without proof of crime, unless of course no one knew you were being held. A tangled puzzle indeed." She rises from her chair again. "I apologize I cannot be a better hostess at this time, but I have other matters I must attend to. If you come across more evidence though I should like to know of it. What you have told me is troubling, trouble brewing among the nobility if my guess is right. Likewise if there is anything I can aid you with in uncovering evidence don't hesitate to ask."

If there are no more comments/questions for the baroness then the group is free to leave and make whatever plans for the remainder of the day.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

Well it seems we have two primary choices. Going after some goblins, or seeking after the mysterious person with a bloody coin.

Pulling out the coin, he looks at it intently, before looking up at his companions. "Perhaps it is time for a some bloodletting, unless one of you has a strong urge to go after some goblins, which is bound to make us some money."


"If monsters are attacking the townsfolk then it is best we get rid of them as quickly as possible."


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"Both the goblins and these lycanthropes are attacking the townsfolk. Though goblins should be less of a concern at that point. Let us go down by the well and spill some blood."


"Very well. The sooner we get done with it, the better."


Unknown

You find the well in the early afternoon in an older section of the city. Beggars and poorer folk move about the street. The well itself is about three feet across. The stones around the rim are crumbling, and the the crank is long since gone, leaving a couple of broken off wooden posts sticking up from the stones.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"So let me get this straight, we put some blood on this mysterious coin which is probably cursed... drop it in the well, and then some scary person or beast will come seek us out; who is capable of skinning us alive. Why do I get the feeling we're living through a ghost story?."

Not waiting for an answer to his semi-rhetorical question. Alma uses his blade to to cut his left forearm just enough to for blood to come out. He wipes the wound with the coin and tosses it into the well.

"Yeah, i'm sure it will turn out all right."


Unknown

The gold coin drops out of sight into the darkness of the well. You hear a soft thud as it hits the bottom of the well. You wait several minutes, but nothing else happens.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"Perhaps our contact is sleeping. Or perhaps we need to wait for him."

Alma begins the long arduous wait for an hour. He continues to look around to see if anyone suspicious may be watching.

Perception: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (16) - 2 = 14

1,001 to 1,050 of 1,760 << first < prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tower of the Heavens All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.