Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Tower of the Heavens (Inactive)

Game Master bbangerter

Mines


451 to 500 of 1,760 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

"Really, what has the poor man's crime been except to be infected with lycanthropy? I know he's done plenty of bad things since, but it was never of his own volition, as Alma would attest to with his plans to murder Heligar."


Heligar is pale and gasping....emptying out her waterskin to wash down the flavour of the wolfsbane. She croaks bitterly:

Whatever this "man" was before...it is what it is now...and it will stop at nothing to destroy us or turn us into one of its ilk. And I should hope dear Alma will slay me if he sees me become a such an evil thing! I vote that we kill it!


Is this one of the wolves that Irina subjected with her sleeping hex?


Unknown
Irina Moretskya wrote:
Is this one of the wolves that Irina subjected with her sleeping hex?

No, Cedric dropped this one with a sleep spell, so it has not been touched by any of your hexes yet.


"Then let my touch of death end it," Irina says, extra melodramatically.

Bending low over the wolf, she whispers, "Have no fear. Mirage and I serve the same master. You will run free again. This magic will fool them. Don't resist."
Bluff check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

She then uses her sleeping hex. If it takes, she will tell whoever is nearby to kill it clean and quick.


Unknown

As Irina approaches the man curls back his lips in a half snarl. As she whispers to it a look of shock and confusion comes across its face. It struggles briefly as Irina's magic hits it,
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
then falls asleep.


"Warren. May I use your sword to do the deed?"

If Warren does lend her the silver blade:
Heligar makes a precise and swift strike to put a quick end to the beast!


"Go ahead Heligar. It is better that he should die painlessly."

Warren hands the ranger his blade, then begins retrieving his rope.


Sorry, that was supposed to read "Morag". Auto-correct strikes again!


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

Astonished by Irina's accusation, "Murder! I live a life of righteousness full of light and mercy. The only mercy available for an abomination such as these is to extinguish them. It is for the greater good. You do not need to respect those of us who choose the light, but in time you will. You would do well to heed my example, to give your life direction."

Sense Motive for Irina's comment. 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (1) - 2 = -1
my sense motive rolls, that I will do from time to time with party members is purely for roleplaying purposes, to see if my character views their statements as I in real life do or not.

Intimdate Irina 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22


Unknown
Alma wrote:


Intimdate Irina 1d20+5

Irina has a backflash of memories from home. I'm sure this will go over really well...

With Warren's silver blade in hand Heligar puts an end to the creature.

Kaym wipes a hand across his face, weariness showing. "I suppose that was inevitable and is no doubt what would have come of things in the end had we placed it in the magistrates hands. We should not disregard the law and order of things so lightly though" he admonishes. He sits to rest and think for a moment. "You said earlier something about a necromancer? I'm not sure which is worse, a necromancer still loose somewhere in the country or lycanthropes here in Gumlat. The mage hall in Coran must be made aware of this necromancer. Folks in these parts still don't trust wizards much and I'm sure they would want to find this madman if for no other reason than to keep their own standing in the good faith of the city. I will need to find someone in the morning to be sure the message is delivered. And no doubt the magistrate will want to speak to you in the morning about this whole affair. You are welcome to rest here, and Erastil willing there will be no more difficulties this night. I must go and see to Cora and the children and let them know everything is all right." With that Kaym heads out into the night to Derig's home.

I'm assuming the party at this point will rest for the night. Everyone will be fully healed and Heligar's one point of missing constitution is restored. And you can continue your discussion on the merits of morality in the morning. The next day you may continue asking questions of Kaym, will meet with the magistrate (unless you intend to purposely avoid him), do some shopping if you like, and decide what to do next.

XP gain of 550 for the wolves and learning some of the history about this church in days past and some of the history of Coran. Bonus of 100 XP for using the church to seek refuge in (so 650 XP total). Current XP total is 1225 (medium XP path by the way).

If everyone could also give me new init rolls for future use.


Unknown
Irina Moretskya wrote:
Sorry, that was supposed to read "Morag". Auto-correct strikes again!

That did throw me a bit. I was trying to think if there was some reference to a diabolical deity of that name or something.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

In the morning, I will seek a blacksmith out to add silver to my sword. Cost 20gp?

I intend to meet with the magistrate, unless the party has a real reason not to.


Male Human Arcane Duelist 1

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21

Sorry for the sparse posting, I've been away for the past few days, it's also around 4 am so I'm now going to sleep now, I'll post actions in the morrow.


Irina unwillingly backs away and drops her eyes at Alma's tirade, which only fuels her anger.

"Direction? Light and mercy? Words that aren't worth the air you used, coming from a Mithral Rose! I've seen your kind's righteousness in action. Villages turned in on themselves, terrified to be around you people, lest they don't measure up to your precious vaunted selves, and get burned from their homes and chased from their families by a mob of their neighbors, or else cut down by your thrice damned holy sword!!"

In the end, Irina is shouting, her face red, her hands quivering fists. Realizing that she's been screaming, she looks about in stunned silence before running off into the night.

GM:
Irina heads off to hide, climbing through the broken window of the cottage if the door is locked.

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9


Alma wrote:

In the morning, I will seek a blacksmith out to add silver to my sword. Cost 20gp?

Longsword is a one-handed weapon, and so will cost 90 gold to add silver to it.

If you don't want to take the permanent -1 to damage, you could also invest in the silver weapon blanch (found in the APG), although using that isn't really very effective.

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18

Also Alma, I might be wrong, but I don't think you have +5 to initiative.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33
Quote:
Longsword is a one-handed weapon, and so will cost 90 gold to add silver to it.

If its that much, then I don't have the money for it yet.

Quote:
[ooc] Also Alma, I might be wrong, but I don't think you have +5 to initiative.

Did you mean to type Intimidate instead of Initiative? I will look at it for my intimate, maybe I goofed on it. And by I, I mean the person who helped me build the character, since i'm still getting used to Pathfinder Rules :)

New Initiative 1d20 ⇒ 11


Male Elf Cleric 10: AC 24, Hit Points 57/57, Perception +17, Initiative +3

I give Alma a long, thoughtful look: That moment, you should carry that with you for a while, take it out and look at it during your quiet moments.

Then I head after Irina, not sprinting or trying to stop her, just plodding along after her and giving her time.

perception if needed, I will take full advantage of my light spell and low-light vision to keep track of her.: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


Alma wrote:


Quote:
Also Alma, I might be wrong, but I don't think you have +5 to initiative.

Did you mean to type Intimidate instead of Initiative? I will look at it for my intimate, maybe I goofed on it. And by I, I mean the person who helped me build the character, since i'm still getting used to Pathfinder Rules :)

Wow. I fell really stupid now. I read that as initiative; which becomes even more pathetic noticing that Tower's post about rerolling initiative came just after your post about intimidate. I think I'm going to stop trying to correct people for a little while.


Malaswyn sees Irina sneaking into the cottage Heligar tried to climb.


Male Human Arcane Duelist 1

Cedric, surprised at Irina's outburst, looks to Alma. "That was rather harsh, is there something I've not heard about between you two?"


Male Elf Cleric 10: AC 24, Hit Points 57/57, Perception +17, Initiative +3

I sit outside the cottage with my back to the wall, breathing in the stillness of the night and waiting for Irina to regain a little composure.

As the night air grows a little cooler, I push open the door to the cottage and step inside. When I find Irina I sit next to her: not facing her because she doesn't need to feel self-aware or be watched.

After sitting with a little groaning: A little late for running about.

I pause, let the heavy silence settle a little and then speak again: You did well today. We did well. We are a good team.


Malaswyn hears gentle sobbing coming from within the cottage. When he opens the door, he finds her huddled in a corner, gently stroking a small girl's bonnet. She quickly stuffs it away upon detecting the intrusion.

"No one said we aren't a good team."


Male Elf Cleric 10: AC 24, Hit Points 57/57, Perception +17, Initiative +3

I breathe a long sigh: The first time I met Alma, he was arguing with a waitress because she had given him too much change. He couldn't even see that she was flirting with him... Cedric would have bought her a drink.
I snort, half a laugh, and then continue: But he'd step in front of a dragon for you, or for me, or for Cedric... well, maybe not Cedric... I pause again and scratch my scalp Alma's eyes do not burn like a zealot, there is good in him, for all his pride.

I shake my head: Listen to me, I like the sound of my own voice too much... How are you feeling?


"Feeling? Oh just swell. Can't you tell?"

Despite her words, there's no scorn in her voice, just tiredness.


After seeing Malaswyn take off after Irina and knowing that he will help calm her down, Warren walks up to Alma, "Remember that you have first watch. I suggest letting Irina be and not pushing her to join you until she is ready. Wake up Cedric, Heligar, and Markov when it's their turn."

Thought I'd pull up watch order again before it actually becomes relevant so that we don't have to go digging for it later. Although not mentioned by Warren, he and Malaswyn have third.

With that Warren finds somewhere comfortable, strips out of his armor and promptly passes out.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

Alma nods at Warren, as he gets ready to sleep. "I will watch the entire night if that ensures we will be safe."

Thinking about Cedric's question for a moment to place the words carefully. "I don't expect you to understand the oath that I have taken. To serve Imodae, to bring forth light and justice to this forsaken world that is filled with the disease of deceit and all manner of evil. It is vital that I stand up for what is right. And when a friend calls into question of my character. I feel I must let them know their error."

Alma stops for a moment, wrinkling his forehead in frustration. Speaking matter of fact, "I am not the same person of light that Irina has dealt with in the past." Pausing for a moment, and then speaking in a self disappointing soft tone, " Yes... I was too harsh. "

He walks a few feet away to setup his watch, replaying the aggravated discussion over in his head. The accusation that he would commit cold-blooded murder, reminded him of home. He longed for his betrothed Jezebelle. Being accused of murdering his would be father-in-law. The emotions ran strong, while doing his best to hide it from his sleeping companions.

He had not intended to be so forceful with Irina, even though he believed everything he said. He reminded himself what the Order of the Mithril Rose stood for. One key component includes compassion, which he had to admit, he did not provide in this instance.


Unknown

The night passes uneventfully and sleep helps the memories of last night to fade a bit. Just after the first rays of light have parted the darkness Warren and Malaswyn see Kaym coming up the path with a frail old woman at his side. In their hands they carry large covered trays, which they set down on the ground just outside the church. Kaym smiles at the two, "Wake everyone and have some breakfast, it isn't much, but it is the least I can do for guests." Uncovering the trays you find bread, cheese, butter, sausage, water and goats milk. Gesturing to the old woman, "This is my wife Cora."

Any hesitation at eating breakfast is brushed aside by the couple. As you begin to eat Kaym speaks, "I expect the magistrate will be by soon to speak with you." He is silent then for a moment as though reminiscing. "As a child I used to listen to old father Gart's every word as he told the stories about the history of this old church. As I grew older though I doubted the truth of those stories, about whether such creatures as lycanthropes really existed or not. Seems those stories could very well all be true after all. It seems at least one of the creatures got away last night, so you may very well still be hunted. I...", he looks somewhat ashamed, "I fear to let you stay here longer. It would be dangerous for the children. What are your plans for the future? If there is some way I can aid you I will do so if I can."


Male Elf Cleric 10: AC 24, Hit Points 57/57, Perception +17, Initiative +3
Irina Moretskya wrote:

"Feeling? Oh just swell. Can't you tell?"

Despite her words, there's no scorn in her voice, just tiredness.

I decide not to push Irina, instead I find some old blanket in a chest and share them with her.

Settling a little way off, I lay down to sleep: Rest now, the dawn brings new light and new hope. But if you ever need a friend to talk to, I would be honoured to be that friend.


Male Human Arcane Duelist 1

Cedric looks up from his sausage, swallowing a large mouthful in order to speak. "We're sorry for the trouble we've caused you, it was certainly not our intention for anyone to be in danger, and we won't put your family and community in harm's way any further." He looks around at his companions, hoping they agree with this sentiment, although he continues speaking regardless. "If anyone will be able to handle the lycanthropes it's us. While I don't cherish the thought of coming head-to-head with them again, we can handle ourselves." Provided we can deal with one another, he adds silently.

Cedric resumes eating, hoping others will speak so he can enjoy his meal.


Irina is silent during breakfast. She only picks at her food, and avoids Alma's gaze at all costs. If he pushes any kind of conversation, she gets up and leaves.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"I thank you for your kind offering of breakfast Cora." He turns to Kaym, "I fear as well we are the cause your lives have been in danger. I expect we will be leaving soon, after we meet with your magistrate. But allow me to donate a gold piece to the church."

During breakfast, Alma sneaks a few glances as Irina. Contemplating whether to say anything. In the end he decides its best to leave the subject silent.

Once finished with breakfast he gets up and puts his armor on. "I believe the magistrate is waiting for us. We are best to get moving."

He then moves to leave in search for the magistrate.


Male Elf Cleric 10: AC 24, Hit Points 57/57, Perception +17, Initiative +3

I rise just before dawn and make my tribute to the Dawnflower, then I join the others forbreakfast.

Your church has another chapter; it played its part well and I am glad we had its protection.

I make a sign of the Dawnflower's grace and then continue: I fear we must face these fiends ourselves.

Once I have finished eating, I head out of the church, on my way I pat Kaym on the shoulder and say: A wise farmer does not protect his grain from rats by sending the cats away.


Male Half-Elf Alchemist/3 HP 16/20

During breakfast markov brews a Dex Mutagen.

"At least we know what were up against. We also have the cure to their curse, but i still suggest to avoid getting bitten. We do only have one dose left."

Putting his things away and getting up.Now lets go meet this magistrate. I'd like to see if they can shed any light on my vision i had.


Unknown

Speaking to Malaswyn, "Well spoken, but I fear you are the grain and I have no cats to protect you. Though it seems you and your companions are not much in need of protection in any case."

Breakfast finished the group gets ready to go find the magistrate, at that moment a man turns in off the street and starts walking down the path leading to the church. Upon seeing him Kaym comments, "Ah, here comes the magistrate now." Kaym seems less than enthusiastic.

The magistrate is of average height, a little overweight, dressed in fine clothes and has an air of self importance about him. He does not wait for Kaym to introduce him, merely nods to the old priest and his wife. When he speaks there is a slight whistle, one of his teeth is chipped. His voice though is firm and his manner suggests he expects people to listen when he talks. ”Well hello there, I am Magistrate Bont." He does not offer his hand in greeting and his welcome seems more practiced than of genuine warmth. "You must be the strangers Kaym brought to my attention. Now tell me about this ruckus last night, about wolves and were-beasts. Why were these creatures following you and do you expect more of them?”


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"To put it simply, it is believed that last night's attack was orchestrated by someone called Gray. Apparently, old man Gray has a farm not to far from here. It appears he is a werewolf, and from the looks of it, he has been building a small army.

It would seem likely that he will attack again, whether his intention is to attack the city or simply us, that depends. Does the name Morag mean anything to you?"


Unknown

"Old farmer Grays? He used to have a farm at the edge of the village here. It has been abandoned for some time now, ever since he disappeared years go. The night watch told me there were 6 wolf-men last night. They mentioned nothing about William Grays though."

The magistrate frowns deeply, "I do know a man named Morag, but I hardly think he would associate with such creatures as werewolves, and certainly not to make plans to attack Gumlat. Morag has been in the service of Duke Baelson for a number of years and would not betray him. It must be another of the same name."

"How long do you intend to stay in our city?"


"We had originally planned to stay here until the merchant Bendon got back--he stiffed us of our pay, you see. But then Markov had a vision and we got attacked by lycanthropes and... Well, I'm not really sure where we plan on going next."


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"Could you describe Morag, to ensure we are talking about different people? Where would we find Duke Baelson?"

Sense Motive 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (15) - 2 = 13


Unknown

"Yellow hair, wears it a little bit long, average height, muscular build, he spends a lot of time practicing with his blade. Duke Baelson would normally be at his estates a few miles southeast of here, but this time of year he will be in Coran meeting with the other nobles."

The magistrates eyes narrow a bit at the mention of Bendon. "Is this some sort of joke? Are you trying to impinge on the Dukes good name?" He scoffs a bit at the mention of a vision, plainly disbelieving. "Kaym, I think these folk have seen a bit to much sun."

Kaym purses his lips, "Now magistrate, certainly all this news is disturbing, but the attack last night... well I don't think the Duke is behind it, but clearly something is going on. And I don't think it any accident considering the history of this church."

The magistrate laughs a bit at mention of that, "All those stories used to scare children you mean? This thing last night, these folk brought the wrath of whoever or whatever is after them on themselves. Those stories are just that."

Kaym is clearly becoming agitated, "That is what I used to think as well magistrate, but after last night... there is truth to them, I can see that now."

Alma:
The magistrate doesn't appear to be trying to hide anything, his derision is plainly apparent.


Male Half-Elf Alchemist/3 HP 16/20

" Believe us or not I don't care. But a lot of the things happening seem to lead back to this duke and his men. I don't think thats just a coincidence. Whatever it is their doing, if it leads to what i saw in my vision than we have to stop them. Or would you rather live with undead and dark beast everywhere?

New Initiative1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"We have no time for jokes. Your stories to scare children will make a grown man cower. For something wicked this way has come. Do you intend to help us or impede our way?

Your town is not safe, Morag is leading some deadly game that puts everyone here in danger. It seems to me, we need to speak with the Duke."


Unknown

"As I said, the Duke would currently be in Coran, if you wish to speak to him and try and convince him of your wild tales be my guest. So long as you remain here in Gumlat though keep yourself out of trouble." With that the magistrate swaggers off with a huff.

Kaym was not with the group when Markov used the chalice.

Kaym speaks up "The magistrate can be a stubborn man. It makes working with him difficult at times."

Looking to Markov "What was that about a vision and undead everywhere?"


Male Elf Cleric 10: AC 24, Hit Points 57/57, Perception +17, Initiative +3

Travelling to Morag is a distraction: Grays should be hunted down and destroyed. Else he will nip at our heels while we try to do other things.

I pause and look about the group: Besides, nobles are always easy to find: his station demands he stay in sight.


Male Human Arcane Duelist 1

Cedric, who had been staring resolutely at the ground, quietly fuming at the magistrate's words, raises his head abruptly when the magistrate leaves. "The Duke. I remember something about a duke, from when we were poisoned... Someone was angry at the duke, or else the duke was angry, and there was something that needed to happen in five days... I can't help but feel that this is somehow connected to that damn merchant. Gah, I don't know..." He trails off, but then suddenly smiles. "Well! This is certainly more exciting than guard duty! I suggest we make haste and find Grays; I'd prefer not to live the rest of my life feeling hunted, I'd like to get to the bottom of all this. Does anyone else have ideas for our next moves?"


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

Thinking for a moment before speaking up. "We definitely need to speak with the duke. But Malaswyn has a fair point. He won't hide from us even if he wanted to.

I agree with Cedric ... Now I know how it feels like to be one of Warren's prey. Perhaps we can get some clues at the Gray farm about this alpha werewolf. Its too bad we don't have the funds to be able to apply silver to our weapons."


Unknown

I'm assuming Heligar is still busy with work, so going to do a tracking roll for her here.

Heligar heads out to the main road to see if she can find any clues about which direction the one that escaped went.
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
The hard packed dirt of the road though has not left any traces that she can distinguish from the previous days use.


Speaking to Kaym, "When we went to the fort that Derig led us to it was filled with undead, which we promptly destroyed. We also found the chalice in a side room. When Markov drank from it he passed out and upon awaking told us of this vision"

Assuming that no one stops him, Warren relays to Kaym all of what Markov had told to the rest of the group.


Unknown

Cora's voice is cracked with age as she speaks, "Kaym, do you think... all those rumors about the mageocracy?"

"There are a thousand vague rumors about what the former mageocracy was involved with, to many to discern the actual truth. That they were practicing dark magic on trolls and other creatures. That there used to be a troll infestation in the region and they hunted the creatures down. That they were involved with necromancy. That some of their number turned to necromancy and were put down by the others. That when it was discovered they were involved with necromancy they offered up scapegoats. That they consorted with demons. That they lured demons to this part of the world and banished them back to their home planes. That they lured innocent folk to Coran so they could corrupt them and turn them into demons. That they sought to become gods, or to overthrow the gods, or to find the key to the gods immortality. That they came from another world and intended to subjugate ours. That they protected our world from terrors of other worlds."

"Kaym, what if there is something to those rumors? Oh, not all of them certainly, but what if there is a basis of truth to them? Certainly there must be some truth to some of them."

Kaym is thoughtful as he considers his wifes words, and no doubt thinks over the numerous rumors he himself has heard. "If there is any truth to the rumors I suppose the great library may hold some answers. Though surely others have already been down this path, yet the rumors persist so I don't know that there would be much to find."


Unknown

Is the group wanting to go to the farm? Coran? or elsewhere?

451 to 500 of 1,760 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tower of the Heavens All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.