Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Tora no Senaka - The Back of the Tiger (Inactive)

Game Master Dreaming Warforged

Trouble with Goblins can lead to a lot of places, even the other side of the world...
Jade Regent AP, now in volume 3 - The Hungry Storm


1,751 to 1,800 of 3,966 << first < prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | next > last >>

Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4

"She'll survive." Izumi interjects to Sorin, though he doesn't sound confident in his assertion.

Izumi will assure that Kelda has a decent meal and a place to sleep, and would ask her if she knew any more of the castle's layout. He would then consult with Sorin about watch shifts for the evening. Despite all that had happenned that day, Izumi felt antsy. He would take first watch, keeping an eye on the castle.


Twisting the strands of Fate

The evening is spent in merry dances and music, sharing of tales and laughter. Moments of worry and sorrow are met with Shalelu's invectives: "We all worry for our friend, but her heart is Varisian and this is how she would want us to be, remembering and celebrating her grace, enjoying friends and grand adventures. For now we rest. Tomorrow, you'll face this deadly dungeon once more, all for our friend!"

The night is quiet. When morning comes, you are already eating and packed to go back to the Castle. Koya insists Kelda stays behind for she's not healed completely.


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

Head back to the castle and return to the area with the haunted stairs.

Raith ventures to the stairs.

Will save:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Pavel will follow Raith into the haunted tower.
"You think maybe kuh'killing Kikonu would have put this thing to rest?"
Will save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


Twisting the strands of Fate

The castle seems to be resting, as its souls stay silent as you make your way to the stairs. A chill catches your bone as you start to descend them. You feel a powerful presence down there...


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

If it seems that we can pass, we'll head down marching order:
Izumi, Pavel, Raith, Sorin, Bear Spirit, Garand.

Raith halts. "Something down there. Something dangerous."

Should we buff or go down?


Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4

Stairs might not allow for Enlarge Person, but any longer term buffs should go out (Bull's Strength, etc).


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

"I definitively wish to take a moment to cast some spells before we proceed further."

Sorin takes a few moments to cast Mage Armor on himself and Raith, then Protection from Arrows on himself.

"I do not have the strength enhancement spell memorized today. I have instead memorized an extra instance of a particularly effective unlocking spell."


Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4

Unless we've got other stuff to buff, time to go down.


Twisting the strands of Fate

I'll let Garand post to see if he has buffs.

Andoran

(AC 19/t14/ff18, hp 62 of 68) Shoanti Cleric (of Erastil) 8

Garand gives Pavel a silver-colored ring that is heavy for its size, and places his hand on Pavels shoulder. A sensation of heat spikes into his flesh. For a second, he sees his own face, and Garand's shriveled hand upon his shoulder, as if he sees through Garand's eyes instead of his own. And then the moment fades, although there's still a nagging sensation that he's not alone, and the warmth of Garand's hand on his shoulder refuses to fade, long after he has drawn away.

Shield other on Pavel. For the next three hours he has a +1 resistance bonus to saves, a +1 deflection bonus to his armor class, and half of all damage he takes, Garand takes instead, so long as they remain within 30 ft.

"I have linked our spirits, so that my own will shield you from harm. Remain within ten paces of me, please, or the bond will falter."


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Pavel looks startled.
"Wh'whoah. Thuh'that was weird... you shuh'sure about this?


Twisting the strands of Fate

The stairs lead down to an iron portcullis barring passage. An examination of the walls before the stairs show recesses that seem to depress in particular ways. After a bit, Sorin finds a pattern similar to one found on a crest worn by the undead captain.

The bars slide down in the stone and the way is now clear, to go down, or to come up...

The stairs lead to a room. The walls of the room are of smooth stone, spattered with ancient bloodstains and deep, violent gouges. Deep drifts of dust lie on the floor, while immense stone doors hang open to the southwest, revealing empty vaults beyond.

As you approach, the dust on the floor swirls into the air, coalescing into an ominous shadowy form that takes on the ghostly image of an old but handsome Tian man. The spirit adopts a defensive pose, his katana held before him menacingly, but does not attack.

Please roll Perception.


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

Perception:1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29


Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 10

Andoran

(AC 19/t14/ff18, hp 62 of 68) Shoanti Cleric (of Erastil) 8

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9


Twisting the strands of Fate

Raith:
A remembrance of laughter and happiness washes over you as the immaterial undead triggers your memory. You stand with Ameiko in her kitchen, you were seventeen at the time and the loss you'd felt from your parents' passing was still strong. Ameiko had cooked for a few people and was singing. A smile was creeping up your face when you saw a portrait of an old man. His face was proud, serious and stern, with an elegant bearing.

Later, you asked Tsuto about the portrait. It was his grandfather Rokuro Kaijutsu, who opened the first glasswork in Magnimar.

The ghostly man standing before you is the man in the portrait.

Knowledge (religion) if you have ranks.


Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4

"Careful, it seems that this unquiet spirit isn't quite at rest." His voice was a little shaky. The ghostly apparition's stance was that of a warrior. Izumi glanced at his blade. "Sorin, how do you fight such a spirit?"

Andoran

(AC 19/t14/ff18, hp 62 of 68) Shoanti Cleric (of Erastil) 8

Knowledge (religion) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

No knowledge religion.

"Wait. Izumi, the spirit looks like Ameiko's grandfather, Rokuro Kaijutsu. You should try to speak to him."


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Pavel stares hard at the spirit, slowly pulling out Orbakhag's morningstar should he need to defend himself.


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

Know: Dungeoneering 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

"I am not certain. If I was to guess, I believe that Garand's abilities would serve to disrupt the necromantic energies maintaining the ghost's form."

"It does not seem to be immediately hostile though. I think that Raith is correct, communication with the shade may be appropriate."


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Knowledge- Religion (untrained with favored enemy- undead): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13


Twisting the strands of Fate

If one of you tries to talk to it, please mention language and roll diplomacy.


Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4

No Google translate atm

Rokuro? He does look like Ameiko. And he must've died her during the attack on the castle. The letter that lead them to Brinewall, this was the author. Izumi sheathed the katana, his ancestral blade, and bowed slightly. His manners were rusty.

Minkai:

"Rokuro-sama. I am Izumi of the Chosokate. My father served you, many years ago. Ameiko-sama, your granddaughter, received the letter you wrote for your son. We came to discover the secret of which you wrote. We did not mean to disturb your rest."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10


Twisting the strands of Fate

Through the wisps surrounding it, you see the creature's eyes bulge and he freezes motionless. He lowers his sword, then says in a mournful slow voice that resonates in your bones as well as in your ears, turning your blood to ice:

"Watashi waaaaa... konooooo... naaaaamaaaaaae o shiiitteeee... iiiiiiiiiiruuuu..."

Tien:
"I... knooooow... this...naaaaaammmmmeeeeee...”

A moment later, he raises his arms and cries out in anguish, then turns to face you, tears of dust running down his incorporeal cheeks. He says:

"Kara shīru o toru watashi ni sore o koko ni teiku Kodomo sore wa mohaya anzen to sa rete inai watashi wa mohaya no shikaku wa arimasen Sore o mamotte iru..."

Tien:
“Take the Seal away from here—take it to my child—it is no longer safe—and I am no longer worthy of guarding it...”

The immaterial grandfather points toward the wall beside the two empty alcoves. Then with another agonized cry, falls apart into dust, destroyed, almost a dream.
________________________________________

An inspection of the wall reveals a hidden door. Behind it, you find a set three darkwood chests richly inlaid with silver and gold motifs showing songbirds flying through a pine forest. A sense of destiny fills you as you step into the room.


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

Start searching: Perception1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22


Twisting the strands of Fate

I've opted to bring you forward a bit. The three chests are all there is.


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

"Whuh'what'd he say? Should we open these nuh'now or haul 'em back..."", Pavel says quietly, still glancing around with his morningstar in hand.


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

"He has given over to us the care of what is in the trunks. I pray that what is within will make Ameiko whole." Raith looks over the trunks.

Use previous perception roll

Andoran

(AC 19/t14/ff18, hp 62 of 68) Shoanti Cleric (of Erastil) 8

Unsure as to what the apparition has said, Garand mutters a blessing, that this spirit may find it's rest, and know peace that whatever sense of obligation caused it to linger will be resolved.

"Please translate the words of the spirit for me, Raith." Garand asks, as he moves to secure one of the chests under his arm, holstering his weapon.


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

"Rokuro said 'Take the Seal away from here—take it to my child—it is no longer safe—and I am no longer worthy of guarding it...'. So we need to take the seal to Ameiko." Raith works fervently to search the chests, secure what is within, and return with them to Ameiko.


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

"Ah, so you believe the shade to be Ameiko's father? A reasonable supposition. I would be cautious just in case the shade is attempting to trick us however. Whatever is in the chests...the seal, could be something holding back an evil or otherworldly force. Moving it could be dangerous."

Speaking as an abjurer, of course Sorin is wary of seals!


Twisting the strands of Fate

The three chests are of great size and quite heavy. As Raith inspects them, he can tell the first chest is locked, with an intricate foreign system. None of the keys found are even close to match that lock.

But as he moves to the second chest, it unlocks and opens as he simply approaches his hand. In front of him lies a small red box, almost cubic, of 8 x 8 x 9 inches, with an intricate dragon pattern running all around the box. The sense of destiny you all felt increases as the chest opens, the hair on your arms rising from an unexplained emotion.

The third chest is locked as well.

Andoran

(AC 19/t14/ff18, hp 62 of 68) Shoanti Cleric (of Erastil) 8

"In a land where the relics of the dread sin-mages of Thassilon can be found lying about, it's generally a good rule of thumb that any object that so clearly wants to be touched, probably shouldn't be..." Garand warns.

"On the other hand, this is no toy of the Runelords." he adds, "Perhaps Tien artifacts are of a kinder nature."


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Pavel scratches his stubbly cheek.
"Given what he suh'said, I doubt the whole thing is a setup to have us open a truh'trapped box. Unless you think the ghost'll come back afterwards and shout 'suckers!' or suh'suh'somethin'."

Perception:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
The ranger bends down and looks at the red dragon chest, then gingerly picks it up.


Twisting the strands of Fate

Pavel, the box has three compartment, like drawers. The top one seems to hold a small heavy object, that rattles slightly in the box.

As Pavel follows through and opens the compartment, he sees a dark green marble seal, shaped like a stout dragon. As the seal is revealed, you are all caught by what would look to an outsider like a seizure, and stand locked in place. Your mind is submerged by powerful visions...
__________________

You stand at the edge of a large forest of light green pine trees. From where you stand, you see a Tien villlage, with peaceful people congregating in the village square. From behind, you hear a rustle. You turn to watch an army of terrible fiends, with burning skin, glaring eyes, and sharp tusks, wearing strange armor and wielding exotic weapons, emerge in a storm, then descend upon the village like a swarm. The fiendish army seems to swallow the village and keeps walking, heading for the next one, and the next one...
___________________

You are flying above a filed. A young man dressed in royal robes stands over a simple well, a friend at his side. Suddenly, the friend grows nearly three times in size and is sheathed in a frightening suit of jade armor. The jade warrior draws a sword and strikes down his royal friend, then holds the bloody sword aloft in triumph.
___________________

A young Tian man hands a beautiful sword to a richly dressed Ulfen man in exchange for a bag of gold.
___________________

Ameiko wakes from her deep sleep, but she is dressed in the finery of an empress. She rises from sleep not in a humble Varisian caravan, but from a resting spot within the arms of a jade throne...

When the visions fade, you are filled with a sense of destiny. You know that the land invaded was the distant land of Minkai, and that the murder you witnessed was of Shigure, the former emperor of Minkai. The Kaijutsu name now sounds weird in your ear, and instead, your mind seems to say...

Amatatsu...

Looking at the seal and the box, their powers are revealed to you. This stone statuette of a dragon is one of five royal seals of Minkai, and represents the Amatatsu family’s divine right to rule the empire of Minkai. Should no Amatatsus of pure blood be able to take up that charge, however, the Amatatsu Seal can invest the right to rule as an Amatatsu in any number of living humanoid hosts.
The Amatatsu Seal has a daily allotment of 5 charges that it can use to cast the following spells on an Amatatsu scion: cure serious wounds, remove curse, remove disease, or restoration. Each casting uses up 1 daily charge. Alternatively, the seal can cast heal on an Amatatsu scion, but doing so expends all 5 charges. Finally, and only at the seal’s discretion, it can cast resurrection on an Amatatsu scion, but doing so renders its spellcasting powers useless for a month.
The Amatatsu Seal itself radiates strong magic, and those with the proper resources can sense this magic across oceans and continents, allowing it to be tracked across any distance.
Originally meant to allow its rightful owners the ability to track it if stolen, this feature makes it dangerous to remove the seal from its warding box, for as long as the warding box is open, someone can track it.
The Amatatsu Seal can never be transported by teleportation magic or dimensional travel. It cannot be taken from the Material Plane save via special portals blessed by the gods.

As for the box, while the lid is closed, the warding box and all objects inside it are protected from all divination spells. In this state, no divination spell save for those employed by the gods can detect the warding box or its contents.

You have been invested by the seal with the legacy of Minkai, to place its rightful heir on the throne. A long journey lies in front of you, and perhaps finding this Ulfen merchant and the sword he bought might provide more clues...

End of Chapter One - The Brinewall Legacy

Congratulations! Please update your sheets to level 4. There are still the two chests and the return to the caravan.

Andoran

(AC 19/t14/ff18, hp 62 of 68) Shoanti Cleric (of Erastil) 8

Garand reaches forward and closes the box. "Those who wish Ameiko harm may have just become aware of the existence of this seal." he says. "We should keep the box closed, as much as possible, to prevent such forces from finding their way to us."

He glances around at the walls around them, seeing if there is means of trapping or destroying this location, which may become the arrival point of hostile forces.

"At the very least, we should obscure our trail from this place, as much as possible, to forestall being followed by whatever may arrive in response to the seal's discovery."


Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4

Izumi falls to his knees in the wake of the vision. Everything had happenned so fast. But now he knew, they had been guided here. Some deity must be watching over them. And he had purpose. The Chosokate family would once again see the Kaij... Amatatsu family on the throne. Which meant Ameiko. Ameiko. "We should hurry back to Ameiko as fast as possible, while still hiding our tracks." Differing to Garand's wisdom when it came to tracking. Izumi was itching to get back as fast as possible, concern for Ameiko written on his face. He had seen her awaken in the vision, but it was not in the Caravan... hopefully she was awake.


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

Raith whispers,"Empress...Ameiko Amatatsu." In a state of disbelif, Raith closes the seal box and works with the others to return what is here to its rightful owner.


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Anything in the other drawer/compartments?

Pavel looks around in disbelief.
"That was fuh'f@@#in' weird!"
Enervated by the magical goings-on, Pavel paces back and forth, as if expecting something to leap from the shadows. Finally, he puts his weapon away and grabs one side of the other chests.
"All right, tuh'time's a-wastin'. Let's get outta this fuh'forsaken place already."


Twisting the strands of Fate

The other compartments are empty.


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

Sorin quickly casts Detect Magic on the chest when the drawers are closed, to confirm the information relayed by the vision.

"I agree with Pavel. That was a distinctly odd experience. I believe that the Seal itself is an artifact of some power and is semi-aware."

He is silent for a moment as Pavel goes and grabs another chest.

"Did anyone else see the green armor? Do you think that was made of jade?" After a second he shakes his head and looks to Izumi. "Izumi, it is magical tracking that we need to worry about. But once trackers find this place, it will not be difficult for them to follow us, we are in a caravan after all. I think that if we do not wish to be found we need to quickly move to a city. Then we can muddy our trail while hiding Ameiko. When we depart the city it will be challenging to discern our path as we leave. Then we will simply be one of many caravans."

"It is going to be critical that the Seal is not removed from the chest, nor is the chest opened unless there is dire need. It should be fine for Ameiko and others to view the Seal while we are here. I would also advise that we do not allow Ameiko to actually touch the Seal, unless required. Those who have the ability to track the Seal might be able to detect a difference in the...quality...of the magic. That might let them know that the Emperess and the Seal have been located. Anonymity may still provide defense for Ameiko."

"I wonder if I can find a bit of lead to place a seal on the chest..."

Are the other chests empty? Locked?


Twisting the strands of Fate

The chests are locked, but with some time, you should be able to get them opened. Sandru might have an idea or two about how...

You make your way back to the caravan. All is silent as you approach, but you find your friends well and smiling, but clearly in shock, as Ameiko stands among them, serene and regal, with a slight hint of hesitation on her frown. She looks up to you as you approach, and you can tell she's just announced the others about a vision she had...

I'll leave some room for the get together. The chests, once opened, reveal a magical composite longbow +1, a magical katana and a set of magical Do-Maru armor +2. All are of exquisite craftmanship and bear the symbol of a fox dancing with a crane near a mountain, with a tiger hiding behind a tree.


Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4

Izumi couldn't help but to break into a smile at the sight of Ameiko, feeling as though something had caught is his throat, and he was trying to keep tears from his face. "I am so glad to see you back on your feet, we were very worried about you."


Twisting the strands of Fate

Do-Maru Armor

Katana - Dancing Fox


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Pavel plops down the chest he was hauling back from Brinewall. He smiles crookedly at Ameiko.
"Luh'Lookin' good, boss. That nap o' yers musta duh'done ye some good!"


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

Raith sits down, eyes on Ameiko. He sighs, The darkness has lifted. She is awake. Fatigue and relief mingle in his expression. "Good time to wake up, Ameiko." He pats a chest."We have some items here that interest you."

1,751 to 1,800 of 3,966 << first < prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tora no Senaka - The Back of the Tiger - Jade Regent IC Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.