Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Tora no Senaka - The Back of the Tiger

Game Master Dreaming Warforged

Trouble with Goblins can lead to a lot of places, even the other side of the world...
Jade Regent AP, now in volume 3 - The Hungry Storm


1,351 to 1,400 of 3,966 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>

AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

Raith sheathes his blade and nods ready to follow.


Twisting the strands of Fate

Got some Internet issues. I won't be able to update before around 14-16 hrs. Sorry.


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

Crap happens. Hope everything resolves positively soon. Cheers.


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

No problem at all. I should be able to keep up, but my job is getting into the busiest season, so I may miss a day or two here or there between now and the beginning of June.


Twisting the strands of Fate

In the silence that followed Kikonu's disappearance, you approach the east door. Listening, you can make a few voices whispering back and forth...


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

Raith moves quickly to the door, listens, then steps aside to let Pavel and Izumi prepare to open the door and start the assault.

Perception:1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25

Move into position to let Izumi and Pavel go through first. Give them no time and go in on them prepared to crush what stands before us.


Twisting the strands of Fate

Dungeons are hard for pace! I'll deal with some encounters differently. Give me feed back if you prefer another way.

Izumi and Pavel charge in, followed by Raith, Bear Spirit and Garand. Sorin moves in later.

War cries welcome your entry, filled with rage and fear. Four humanoids armed with simple clubs charge on you. They resemble cave lizards, with long tails and crests on their heads and backs, though standing. Their scaly hide is dull gray. The shouts you recognize as draconic.

Despite their positive views on combat and the own prowess of their race, the creatures are cut down swiftly, and their pet lizard proves in fact to be the real challenge, though one good cut from Pavel's axe brings it down.

Silence resumes anew through the castle. The air in this room feels stuffy and carries an eye-watering reptilian stink.

In the main room, a large table lies in shambles in the middle of this room, while crumbled suits of armor bearing decorations of dragons twisting around castle towers lie in heaps along the walls. A flight of stairs winds up along a curved wall to the north.

The other rooms bear several ruined beds and bunks lying in various states of disrepair. Their moldy mattresses are piled into filthy heaps against the walls.

Perception if you search the room.

Map

Andoran

(AC 19/t14/ff18, hp 62 of 68) Shoanti Cleric (of Erastil) 8

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19

Garand entreats the spirits to gather near any items that bear magical auras, so that he can separate them from the others, detect magic and, in addition to seeking items of magic, or other items of value, he also looks to see if any of the decorated armor suits seem of high-enough quality to possibly serve as a nice gift to one of their absent friends.

The reptilian men are a suprise to him. Bird-men and lizard-men, in such proximity? What other sorts of animal-headed men might lurk here?


Twisting the strands of Fate

Sorin, could you roll Knowledge (arcana)?


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

Perception:1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27
I don't mind how you handled it. I do the same thing if I know the party will win with minimal resources spent.


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

Sorin looks with distaste at the creatures. He nudges one with the toe of a boot, raising its face so he can view it more easily, before allowing it to flop back to the ground.

Arcana 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

"Just foul..."


Twisting the strands of Fate

Although the room is in disarray, you recognize a number of documents, maps, and troop lists that date back to the final nights of Castle Brinewall. This room has sheltered the documents somewhat, but they’re still damaged.

Notes wrote:
The citizens of Brinewall are rioting, though their reasons are unclear. Fire is spreading through some of the houses below. The Captain has ordered an offensive to bring order and investigate.

An investigation of the mattress reveals a bejeweled silk gown set with pearls worth

450 gp that is in remarkably clean condition.

Sorin:
As you call back the memory of Kikonu's change of for and sudden disappearance, you put together a few details that seem to form a picture. From what you saw, Kikonu was not a tengu, but an onitengu, a particular kind of oni.

The oni are a diverse group of evil spirits who take on the form of humanoid creatures so that they can enjoy the pleasures and vices of the flesh. The most widespread of the oni are the creatures known across the world as ogre mages. They are but one variety of these evil spirits. More common in Tian Xia than other parts of the world, oni clothe themselves in a variety of humanoid bodies—often in lumbering forms with monstrous features, distortions of given humanoid breeds.

When an oni first takes humanoid shape, it remains bound to that shape for the rest of its life. Its features may be oversized (large fangs or huge malformed ears), misshapen (hunched back or twisted arms), or appear in grotesque abundance (three or more eyes or six-fingered hands). While their powers are nearly as varied as their forms, all oni are shapechangers, though the shapes they assume are generally similar to their true forms.

Andoran

(AC 19/t14/ff18, hp 62 of 68) Shoanti Cleric (of Erastil) 8

"The description of the mysterious rioting doesn't seem to have any obvious connection to whatever afflicts Ameiko," Garand says. "This Tien madman who thinks himself a playwright may have the answers we seek."

Yes, Garand can be single-minded... :)


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

"Oni..." Sorin murmurs. "I believe that these creatures are oni...a type of evil spirit that has taken the form of flesh. They typically are malformed in some way...they take humanoid form in order to enjoy the pleasures of the flesh, but being creatures of spirit, are unable to truly understand the form of flesh and blood, so they fail to form properly. My understanding is that one of the more powerful of these creatures is known as an ogre mage, a physically powerful oni with strong magical powers. We may be facing one here...possibly Kikonu."

"If we are done here, we should move on...the spells I cast will not last forever. We should continue, or depart and rest. I personally do not want to leave Kikonu free, and aware of our presence."


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

"Luh'let's check the other side o' the hall, then. Wuh'we need anything special to hurt these Oni guys?"


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

"I will not rest well until Ameiko's curse is broken. Let us go on." Grim resolve is all that shows on Raith's face.


Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4

"I am with Raith. At very least, we must deal with that man, lest he gather whatever minions remain here and strike at our camp."


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

Sorin thinks for a moment. "Strong oni...yes, silver, magic and the like. Weaker oni, no."


Twisting the strands of Fate

You converge to the north of the throne room, opening the door leading to the dungeon.

Old tapestries depicting a seaside castle hang askew on the walls of this circular room and a thick layer of dust cakes the floor. The air is musty and weirdly cold. Old bloodstains splatter the walls, along with numerous brutal gashes and slashes to the stone itself. Two doors hang askew on hinges in a passageway to the south, while to the north, a third door lies in fragments on the
floor, opening onto a flight of stairs leading down into darkness. A second staircase leads upward against the north wall.

One of the rooms seem to have been an office, perhaps the captain's. The officer’s desk and the chairs that once decorated the room lie in shambles on the floor. A flight of stairs leads up to
the southeast. The battered door to this room hangs askew, revealing a short hallway beyond.

The other room contains a large bed, an ornate writing desk, and a leather chair, all in shambles. Trophy displays for armor and weapons, lies on its wall, but everything has been smashed to ruins. A thick layer of dust clings to
everything in the room.

As you walk around the place, investigating, you find several scattered and hastily written notes among the desk’s shambles, one of which is part of a letter mentioning an attack on Brinewall Castle. The letter describes the attack as a night assault by men dressed in dark robes. The letter is unfinished...

As you read the letter, the air seems to thicken. All of a sudden, ghostly soldiers seemingly made of blood emerge shrieking from the bloody swaths on the walls, only to be hewn apart by unseen blows, spattering all with blood. You blood chills and you feel drained by a cold rush.

Will save DC 13. Success means 1 hp damage. Failure means 1d6 ⇒ 5 hp damage and frightened.

From the stairs leading down emerges a walking corpse, flesh rotting and putrid, dressed in heavy armour, wearing a command helmet. Its eye sockets glow with an unearthly red light.

Knowledge (religion)

Raith, Pavel and Izumi all converge to meet the new threat (if they don't run away, scared for their life...).

Map
You all get to act first as he gets to the top of the stairs.


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Will save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

Having steeled himself against the hauntings' effects, Pavel draws Whispering Shrike from its scabbard, figuring this must be no ordinary zombie. Looking into the corpse's gleaming red eyes, he kindles the horror and anger he felt while his family was devoured below him in his own home.
"Come on, you ugly bastard!"
Whispering Shrike w/favored enemy bonus: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 281d6 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Crit: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Critical! 22 hp damage!


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

Will save:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

Raith's hand grabs the hilt of his blade and he drops into a battle stance.

Swift Action Crane Style. Total Defense.

Andoran

(AC 19/t14/ff18, hp 62 of 68) Shoanti Cleric (of Erastil) 8

Garand Will save 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
bear-spirit Will save 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Knowledge (religion) untrained, can't beat DC 10 1d20 ⇒ 18

Stricken by supernatural terror, both Garand and bear-spirit flee the room, out the direction they entered.


Twisting the strands of Fate

Sorin and Izumi?


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

Sorry, just got back from Manila today...long flight.

Will Save 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

"Another haunting! The walls must be drenched in the fear and pain of those slain here..."

Sorin moves out of the way, so the warriors can do their work.


Twisting the strands of Fate

Round 1 - The Travelers
Having steeled himself against the hauntings' effects, Pavel draws Whispering Shrike from its scabbard, figuring this must be no ordinary zombie. Looking into the corpse's gleaming red eyes, he kindles the horror and anger he felt while his family was devoured below him in his own home. 
"Come on, you ugly bastard!"
His blade sinks deep in the rotten and putrid flesh, almost cutting the monstrosity in two!

Raith's hand grabs the hilt of his blade and he drops into a battle stance.

Stricken by supernatural terror, both Garand and bear-spirit flee the room, out the direction they entered. As they move past, the former captain of Brinewall slaps at Garand with a long fingered claw: ”Cowards!”

Secret Rolls:

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22; 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

The blow lands squarely in the druid’s face. He reels in pain but keeps fleeing. Running, Garand, feels his bone seize and become brittle as his very life is sucked from him. (Energy Drain, -4 hp from blow, -5 hp from drain, -1 all d20 rolls, save DC 14 in 24 hours or become permanent.)

Furthermore, the creature seems to heal from the blow it landed!

Sorin moves out of the way: "Another haunting! The walls must be drenched in the fear and pain of those slain here..."

Izumi (1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16) fights his fear and strikes at the horror, aiming for the shoulder.
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15; 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
The ancestral katana cuts through the undead and brings it to its knees, before it had a chance to strike back.

Combat over.


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Pavel sheathes his weapon, giving the undead captain a nudge with his boot before dragging the corpse from the stairwell.
"Luh'let's make sure Garand's okay. Know anything about thuh'this guy, Sorin? Seems important, judgin' by his tuh'tin britches."


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

Sorin makes a quick pass with his hands, searching the corpse and the room for any sign of magic. Detect Magic

He then squats down next to the undead remains and looks for any indications or markings as to his identity.

"If this room is anything like the one on the floor above, we need to complete our business and move on in short order. I just had a thought: Is this room underneath the other haunted room?"

Andoran

(AC 19/t14/ff18, hp 62 of 68) Shoanti Cleric (of Erastil) 8

Garand drops like a stone, although bear-spirit keeps on running down the hallway.

DC 13 Con check to stabilize 1d20 ⇒ 6


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Pavel looks over, thinking Garand ran into the other room.. then looks back to see him bleeding on the floor.
"Oh... Uh'OH!", he stutters, kneeling and pouring his cure moderate wounds potion past the druid's lips.

Cure Moderate: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (8, 4) + 3 = 15

Andoran

(AC 19/t14/ff18, hp 62 of 68) Shoanti Cleric (of Erastil) 8

Garand stirs, and begins crawling from the room, still gripped with fright.

Yeah, I thought I was running out the door with Sorin in it, too! I didn't realize that we came in from the same door the monster came from! Thanks for the potion!


Twisting the strands of Fate

Sorin:
The undead carries a longsword on his side that concentrates the lines of power, bending them slightly. It is likely a weapon carrying a minor enchantment.

Andoran

(AC 19/t14/ff18, hp 62 of 68) Shoanti Cleric (of Erastil) 8

How long does the frightened condition last?


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

"The sword is magical. It may be connected with this room though, in which case it could have an enchantment with significant negative consequences...please give me a moment to examine it."

Spellcraft: if the sword is connected magically to the room, Sorin will not handle it. 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20

Sorin kneels over and flips the sword with the toe of his boot, examining it without coming into contact with it.


Twisting the strands of Fate

Garand's not frightened anymore.
Longsword +1


Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4
Sorin Saldward wrote:
"If this room is anything like the one on the floor above, we need to complete our business and move on in short order. I just had a thought: Is this room underneath the other haunted room?"

"I think you're right with that Sorin. There are some spirits that died in fear here... And these deep gashes in the stone. Some monstrous creature must've attacked here. I agree though, we shouldn't linger. Should with finish with this floor or head down the stairs now?"

Andoran

(AC 19/t14/ff18, hp 62 of 68) Shoanti Cleric (of Erastil) 8

Garand makes sure that bear-spirit has not run into any sort of danger, calling him back to his side. The bear is teetering on the brink of unconsciousness, and Garand examines his companions before meting out his limited supplies of healing.

With the negative level, is Garand capable of using a scroll of cure moderate wounds? He doesn't have UMD, and might not qualify to cast them normally, as he might not count as able to cast 2nd level spells atm... If he thinks he can, he will use a scroll of cure moderate wounds on Izumi.

scroll of cure moderate wounds on Izumi, if possible. 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (6, 6) + 3 = 15

wand of cure light wounds on bear-spirit 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

"Let's fuh'finish this floor and tuh'tackle downstairs tomorrow."


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

Negative levels no longer deny spell slots or reduce a caster to the point they can't cast a certain level of spells. They lower caster level when casting a spell, that is it.


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

"While I agree that we need to complete this floor first, I am concerned about leaving an enemy in the castle and aware of our presence. If Kikonu steals up upon us in the night, I think we would be sorely pressed to repulse his assault. Of course, if we are at the limits of our magical strength, it may be best...what do you say Garand? Finish the floor and find a bolt-hole to rest the night?"

Andoran

(AC 19/t14/ff18, hp 62 of 68) Shoanti Cleric (of Erastil) 8

Garand looks up from the still wounded bear-spirit, "Resting soon would indeed be my preference. My own healing magics are exhausted. Although we should rest far from these haunted rooms, as we have no means of countering them."


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

"What's say we cuh'compromise, then? Raith and I can sc'scout out the other doors, give each one a listen and if we hear that guy with the buh'big nose, we can decide from thuh'there."
Assuming everyone agrees, Pavel just sort of walks off and listens at the remaining doors.
1 Perception check for each door?

Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 121d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 171d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

Raith follows Pavel. He is tired and grim. This castle reeks of death, despair, and madness. He longs only to find the source of Ameiko's affliction and be done with the darkness.


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

Sorin picks up the longsword, explaining that it has a minor enchantment on it.

Whoops...almost left it.


Twisting the strands of Fate

As best Pavel can tell, it's all deadly silent behind each of the doors...

What next? Push through? Regroup and rest? And if so, where?


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

Go back to the main camp and rest. Give us a chance for some extra healing from Koya and additional reinforcements in a fight. Maybe we'll get to hear Ameiko speak in a spooky, possesed voice and give us more information we need to know.


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

How far is it back to the caravan? If we can't make it there, we could retreat to the gatehouse and close ourselves in with the mechanisms.


Twisting the strands of Fate

About an hour and a half max to the caravan.


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Pavel plods back over to the group.
"Let's get back to the cuh'caravan. Didn't hear nothin' at the doors and night's fuh'fallen. Anyone know how to juh'jam the gates open?", he whispers.


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

"No, but we have a key to the castle, and you can always climb back up and open the gate house if the doors get closed by someone. I don't think that this problems are insurmountable."

1,351 to 1,400 of 3,966 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tora no Senaka - The Back of the Tiger - Jade Regent IC Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.