Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Tomb of the Emperor Gods -- PbP

Game Master Tarren Dei

This PbP started with Entombed with the Pharaohs and continues with The Pact Stone Pyramid. Many of the characters travelled to Osirion after completing a PbP based on River into Darkness.


3,951 to 4,000 of 4,710 << first < prev | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | next > last >>

You can walk around the runes. The hellhound was on the far side of them, but you commanded it to walk over them and nothing happened to it. (It would have had to walk over them twice now, even -- once coming to you and once heading back to the room.) It's up to you.


Male Human Rogue 1/ Wizard 6 (but Drained 2 levels)

Korian carefully moves around the runes, without touching or passing over them, and stops at the entrance to the mummy room, watching as the hellhound approaches the figure. He also carefully checks out everything else in the room.
Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15(+1 for traps)


Fighter (Shield) 3 / Rogue 4

Ovirid takes a moment to examine the runes. Are they somehow portable, or do they appear to have 'engraved' themselves into the passage?

"Ye know, lad, fer sum'un smart, ye miss obvious things sometimes. Ye say those strange words 'r numbers, countin' down? Ah 'ave only 'eard 'em when we see sum'un die. Ah think 't be countin' victims. 'ow many souls d'ye think 't needs? 27 more?"


Male Human Rogue 1/ Wizard 6 (but Drained 2 levels)

Korian looks back over his shoulder at Ovirid for a moment, head tilted curiously as he says [b]"You think Girallons have souls?"[/i] not knowing the answer himself, but having his suspicions, he turns back to continue observing the room and the hellhound's progress.


Fighter (Shield) 3 / Rogue 4

"The voice dinnae speak when th' beasty fell. It sounded when th' slave died. 'n yea, Ah think a real live critter 'as a soul. 'at thin' wasn't livin', Ah'm thinkin'. Where's th' body?"


A large, muscular Osirion sits on a throne. It wears white robes over a body wrapped in white linen. When the hell hound approaches it stands and addresses the beast.

Anyone who speaks modern Osirion may make a DC 15 Linguistics Check to understand what it says.

Ancient Osirion:
"Who seeks to enter the heart of Ahn'Selota?"


Fighter (Shield) 3 / Rogue 4

Linguistics, but no modern Osirion 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Yup, not even good enough if I knew the right language. Ovirid has no idea what he says.


Female Human Cleric 7

"Darn it." Refina mutters to herself "Should have done this earlier." Casts comprehend languages on herself.


Male Human Rogue 1/ Wizard 6 (but Drained 2 levels)

Korian shakes his head at himself, annoyed at missing the aspect of the infernal voice. But always though he had dependde on his Dwarven friend's solid thinking. "Once again your wisdom opens my eyes my friend. You are undoubtedly absolutely right. Let's try and make sure no more souls go to feed that infernal voice, eh?"

When the mummy stands and speaks, Korian translates for the others, whispering " He said 'Who seeks to enter the heart of Ahn'Selota?'" as his mind races but draws mostly a blank at the moment, he asks the Dwarf "That mean anything to you Ovirid?"
Knowledge(history): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 16(+6 for pharaohonic stuff)


Re: Knowledge (history) -- It's a fairly typical question by a guard of the era. You still hear guards today ask, "Who seeks to enter Mighty Sothis?" or "Who seeks to enter the Court of the Ruby Prince?".


Male Human Rogue 1/ Wizard 6 (but Drained 2 levels)

Sorry, I must be forgetting, but what or who is Ahn'Selota?


You are in Ahn'Selota. (Perhaps the name of the pyramid (and later the surrounding village) never came up.) The village did not survive long after the people in it were forbidden to speak of or even acknowledge the existence of the pyramid in the middle of it on pain of death. It kind of freaked people out and they slowly slipped away to other towns and cities.


Heheh. It did come up. One YEAR AGO! I can't believe you didn't commit it to memory!! heheh.

Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:


Akkhunis speaks up then, "So. Here's what you need to know. Khymrasa, an Osirion noble, has been searching for the location of a tomb called Ahn'Selota for years with some advice and research support from Cheliax. Ahn'Selota is known as 'The Pact Stone Pyramid'. Signficant to the Four Pharoahs. Shortly after you left last month, she started to buy massive amounts of slaves. We've been wondering why. She left with her slave army into the desert three days ago. Venture-Captain Krenshar went to visit the site to find out why. It's what we thought. She's got her slaves digging outside of Tumen, unburying a pyramid--THE pyramid."


Male Human Rogue 1/ Wizard 6 (but Drained 2 levels)

Ya what was I thinking?? Better start taking my Ginko Baloba again ; )

Stepping forward into the doorway, Korian, in a confident voice, replies in ancient Orisian "I, Korian Allende, son of Orision, along with my companions, do seek to enter."


The linen-wrapped man rises from his chair angrily, repeating the same question in Ancient Osirion.

Ancient Osirion:
"Who seeks to enter the heart of Ahn'Selota?!?"

Behind you in the hall, you hear a strangled roar. Looking back you see the runes rising from the floor and pulling together motes of dust and wisps of energy to form a four-legged creature. It hasn't quite taken shape yet, but it looks like a large dog or a giant cat.


Fighter (Shield) 3 / Rogue 4

Where is the rest of the party relative to the runes?


Others haven't spoken. I'm assuming that you are all clustered between the runes and the big room as no one has said different.


Male Human (Taldan/Osirioni) Rogue 3/Sorcerer 4

That sounds about right.


With a frown at the swirling runes Sykala sinks back into the floor.

She is going to move into the room and come up opposite the party in the furthest corner.


Fighter (Shield) 3 / Rogue 4

Ovirid will try to disrupt the forming rune-critter with his weapons, hoping to damage or destroy it before it's a threat.

"Look lively, m'friends. 'ese fancy letters 'r n' done playin' games."


Updated map.

Where are you, Sykala?

I imagine everyone around the entrance. The hell hound is in front of the throne like chair.

Ovirid's weapons pass through the gathering runes.


Male Human (Taldan/Osirioni) Rogue 3/Sorcerer 4

Ixius draws an an arrow and will shoot as soon as something substantial forms from the runes.


Male Human Rogue 1/ Wizard 6 (but Drained 2 levels)

What are those four circle/stary things? Pillars?

Korian steps forward until he is about half-way into the room, and repeats again in Ancient Osirion, more loudly this time " "I, Korian Allende, son of Orision, along with my companions, do seek to enter the heart of Ahn'Selota!"

As he moves further into the room, his eyes rove over everywhere, trying to determine if he is missing some clue as to the proper phrase to say to gain entry. He also carefully watches each step he takes, on the lookout for traps.
Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20
Perception-traps: 1d1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26


The four carved pillars serve no function in this room and appear mostly decorative.

Korian sees nothing that might hint at the proper phrase.

Apparently, his last attempt, was not correct either.

The man roars at Korian, "Son of Osirion, you claim entry in your own name?!"

The runes take the form of a lion.

Korian, obviously, is too busy to participate in any conflict with the lion. Sykala is apparently across the room.

Refina, Ovirid, and Ixius can attack before the lion gets a chance.


Female Human Cleric 7

Attack

1d20 + 28 ⇒ (9) + 28 = 37

Damage

1d10 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13


Male Human (Taldan/Osirioni) Rogue 3/Sorcerer 4

Ixius shoots.

Attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Sneak attack damage: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 3) = 5

Attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Sneak attack damage: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 2) = 6


Hmmm, odd shaped room. She'll go to the far left point of the chamber. If up is north on the map, it would be the southwest corner.


Fighter (Shield) 3 / Rogue 4

Assuming that Ovirid has to move to get a flank from Refina, only the first attack may be pertinent. If no flank is available, he will attack twice and the sneak attack damage may not apply (unless it's flat-footed, maybe?)

Attack #1 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25 including -2 Power Attack, -2 Combat Expertise, +2 Flank, +1 Bless
Damage 1d6 + 5 + 2d6 ⇒ (5) + 5 + (4, 3) = 17 including Sneak Attack

Attack #2 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20 including -2 Power Attack, -2 Combat Expertise, +2 Flank, +1 Bless
Damage 1d6 + 5 + 2d6 ⇒ (2) + 5 + (1, 6) = 14 including Sneak Attack

AC 23


Male Human Rogue 1/ Wizard 6 (but Drained 2 levels)

At the sound of battle, Korian sends the hellhound racing back to attack the lion. Hearing it's master's command, the hellhound races back, (I think it should have 1 or 2 rounds left)
Hell Hound bite: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28 (flank & bless)
Bite & Fire Damage: 1d8 + 3 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 3 + (2) = 8

Hell Hound
AC 16, hp 38
Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +1
Immune fire
Weaknesses vulnerability to cold
CMD 18 (22 vs. trip)

Meanwhile, brain spinning trying to come up with the right pass, advances until halfway down the room, while asking himself 'Subservient or bold?' and decides to go with the truth. "Yes, I, son of Osirion, do claim entry in my own name! I have been to the Pyramid of (the one we went to)! My companions and I have met and defeated the Four Pharaohs (the four we..you know)! The ones you served ages ago are gone to dust and their conqueror stands before you! So step aside in the name of your new master and let us pass!"


The lion barely takes form before it is met with an onslaught of attacks. The wisps of energy that came together to form it swirl away as the runes tumble to the floor once again.

The massive man on the throne pauses at Korian's words and then finally replies, "Enter, Pharaoh."

It steps back from the throne and stands beside the wall. Both it and the wall begin to glow until you cannot see the man -- if it was indeed a man -- only the space where he was and, through that space, an opening in the wall. The large, linen-wrapped man has become a door. Through this opening, you see a small room beyond with a tiny shrine.


The druidess stares, very unsure about what just happened.


Fighter (Shield) 3 / Rogue 4

Mutters to himself, loud enough for the others near the lion to hear, "By Torag's 'oly 'ammer, did 'e jus' call th' lad a Pharoah? Did 'e no' think th' kid was sure enough o' 'imself?" Bemused, the old dwarf shakes his head.

Walking into the room, he says out loud, "Well, if'n ye be th' Pharoah, sir, mebbe ye c'n 'ave th' rune-critters stop comin' back, eh?"


Are you really unsure? The creature stepped back against the wall and became a door.

If it makes Ovirid feel any better, the creature didn't seem like the brightest candle on the temple wall.


Female Human Cleric 7

"Hmm the thing seems to act more like a construct than an intelligent undead so it is possible something Korian said or the way he said it convinced it that he was the pharoah"


Fighter (Shield) 3 / Rogue 4

*wink*


Tarren the Dungeon Master wrote:
Are you really unsure? The creature stepped back against the wall and became a door.

And this is normal behavior for what exactly?! :) Anyhow, she is unsure because she doesn't understand a word of what is being said.

Finally, catching on to what Ovirid and Refina are going on about, Sykala rolls her eyes and feels bad for what Jinx will have to put up with. She watches the hallway entrance in case the floating runes decided to show up again. Involuntarily shuddering they remind her a bit too much of what happened to Lonicera...


Male Human Rogue 1/ Wizard 6 (but Drained 2 levels)

Blinking in surprise for a moment, more than a little surprised to have had his ploy work let alone be called a pharaoh, Korian finally grins and turns to his companions. With a mock bow and a wave of his arm, his bids them pass through the door [b]"Your Pharaoh gives you leave to enter! But do not worry, I shall not demand tribute of you...yet. His continued grin giving the humour to his jab.

While he plays thus, a small but insistent voice in his mind cautions, funnily enough sounding nothing so much like an old dwarf 'Aye lad, have yer fun, but if'n ye want tae survive this quest, don' be gittin' all up in yer britches like. Ye've just entered tha pyramid n' surely more difficult challenges still await ye.'

Cheerily ignoring the advice, the rakish rogue keeps the big grin on his face and enters after his companions. As he does, he activates his magical vision, scanning for magical auras all around the throne and entryway.

Inside his snug silk 'nest' in his master's robes, one certain weasil-ish familiar roles his beady little eyes.


Korian: The throne does not off a magical aura. The four pillars do. These are both in the room you are in the midst of leaving.

Wisps of glowing energy begin to rise from the runes in the hallway.


Male Human Rogue 1/ Wizard 6 (but Drained 2 levels)

As soon as he notices the magical auras of the pillars Korian stops the party and spends some more time examining the pillars.


Male Human (Taldan/Osirioni) Rogue 3/Sorcerer 4

Even more confused than Sykala about what is happening, Ixius draws another arrow and watches the runes.

"If he's the Pharaoh, what are we supposed to be?".


Just to be clear, you are staying in the large room, not going through the portal that has been opened? Do you move closer to the pillars (on the other side of the room from the door) or investigate from where you are? Also, Perception checks are necessary for any investigation. From anywhere in the room you can see that the pillars are adorned with a carved relief of a human headed snake that winds around the pillar. It's head is opened in a silent scream.


Ixius wrote:

Even more confused than Sykala about what is happening, Ixius draws another arrow and watches the runes.

"If he's the Pharaoh, what are we supposed to be?".

Look guys, don't get too upset. ;-) Just because a talking elevator named him Pharaoh doesn't mean he is.


Fighter (Shield) 3 / Rogue 4

UPSET!!! You think I'M UPSET!?!

Seriously, I think it's a cool development.

"Well? 'r ye gonna stand 'n stare 't th' walls o' yer pyramid, King Korian? 'r 'r we gonna go lookin' fer whatever 't be we 'r lookin' fer."

Seeing the glowing runes reactivate, the dwarf says, "Ye know, mebbe 'ose 'r active whenever someone be present. If'n we move 'n, we c'n leave 'em 'ere. 'n 'ey c'n surprise any'n followin' 's sneaky."

The dwarf moves over the the golem/sentinel/door and peers in at the little shrine. Can he tell anything about it without entering?

Perception 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25


Female Human Cleric 7

Refina steps through the portal into the next room


Fighter (Shield) 3 / Rogue 4

"'at 'r ye...?" When she steps past the dwarf, he follows immediately behind, weapons ready, looking for traps. "Careful, lass, we don' know 'at 'ey might 'ave trapped."

New Perception, if needed 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21 not including +2 vs traps


Sykala will follow through the stone around the door not through it.


The little shrine is one the opposite side of the room. It consists of a small stone box and a small copper bowl in which a tiny flame burns. The wall behind the shrine is carved with a creature unfamiliar to Ovirid. It resembles nothing so much as a gelatinous elephant with a hundred eyes and a mouth full of tusks.

No traps trigger when Refina walks boldly (foolishly?) through the portal.


Female Human Cleric 7

"Werent you the one asking if we were going to spend all day standing around?" She responds to Ovrid as she stops after just crossing the thresshold. She detects magic on the room "Besides it's this or stay in the room with the thing that keeps getting back up.". (Also are the pillars in the room she just enterd or the one she just left?)


Fighter (Shield) 3 / Rogue 4

Just left, I believe.

The dwarf blusters something about "No' ye, th' new kin'." under his breath, but he moves around her and investigates the room.


Yes, just left. The new room is not on the map yet. The pillars are.

3,951 to 4,000 of 4,710 << first < prev | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tomb of the Emperor Gods -- PbP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.