Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

To Wear the Carrion Crown (Group 3) (Inactive)

Game Master Haldhin

Carrion Crown Adventure Path


801 to 850 of 1,546 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>

M Half-orc Monk (Martial Artist) 5 {HP 43/44; AC16(20), T16, FF13(17); F+7 R+7 W+7; Init+2; Perc+10} {Effects: none}

Harold edges back from the hole after getting a good look at the room below, "Looks like a right mess down there. The lift is aaaht an' da stairs blocked, so might we need doin' some spelunkin' ter find aaahrselves explorin' da depths ov Hell fer 'er secrets." He turns to look at the others as they start spouting off about blood. The half-orc hefts his sword as he glances around the room, "Wut blood?"


Bjorn:
You blink and when you open your eyes, the blood you just saw on Harold's back is gone. It just disappeared, but you could swear it was right there!

Korvus:
You blink and when you open your eyes, the blood you just saw on the ground is gone. It just disappeared, but you could swear it was right there!


Ulfen Cleric 2/Heirophant 1 (HP 29/29; AC:19, T:12, FF:17; Fort:+7 Ref:+3 Will +7; Init+2; Perc+9)
Resources:
Channel Positive 5/8 | Channel Cold 6/6 | Mythic 1/5

Bjorn blinks again and aggressively rubs his eyes until they water.

"Bah! It's just those damned ghosts playing with our f#$%ing heads. We've got to keep moving", the big Northman says.


Male Half-Orc Wizard (Conjurer) 5 {HP 34/34; AC 15, T 11, FF 14; F+3 R+3 W+6/+8 vs. fear effects; Init+1; Perc+12} {Effects: Mage Armor}

"Indeed, I believe Master Stonehand is quite correct in his estimation of the situation," Korvus says in a much calmber tone as he straightens the pince-nez perched on his nose.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Oracle of Life 4

Alexei blinks as he realizes Bjorn and Korvus has likely seen something that was not there, but then shrugs and turns back to the cavernous opening in the floor. Holding his shield out to try and illuminate it again, the oracle speaks, "What should we do?"


Short update; ways out of this room include doors to the north, the door you used to enter the room, cracks in the wall leading outside, and the hole heading down to the lower level.


Ulfen Cleric 2/Heirophant 1 (HP 29/29; AC:19, T:12, FF:17; Fort:+7 Ref:+3 Will +7; Init+2; Perc+9)
Resources:
Channel Positive 5/8 | Channel Cold 6/6 | Mythic 1/5

Doors to the north!


Male Human (Chelaxian) Oracle of Life 4

I'm down with going through the north doors, too.


Male Half-Orc Wizard (Conjurer) 5 {HP 34/34; AC 15, T 11, FF 14; F+3 R+3 W+6/+8 vs. fear effects; Init+1; Perc+12} {Effects: Mage Armor}

Northward!


Moving north, you see a huge stone furnace dominating this room, large enough for a child to climb inside. An ancient fire has burned away the entire east wall the room, providing a panoramic, if eerie, view of the lake beyond. That same lake has gradually expanded into the room, flooding its eastern half.

You can also see an open door on the far side of the room that leads south.

If you move into this room, please provide a Will save along with the description of your actions


Ulfen Cleric 2/Heirophant 1 (HP 29/29; AC:19, T:12, FF:17; Fort:+7 Ref:+3 Will +7; Init+2; Perc+9)
Resources:
Channel Positive 5/8 | Channel Cold 6/6 | Mythic 1/5

Bjorn moves inside the room, clutching his siphon tightly.

He examines the interior of the room and motions for the group to head towards the southern door.

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Will Save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17


Male Human (Chelaxian) Oracle of Life 4

Alexei enters the room cautiously, his glowing shield held forward to illuminate the darkness. His right hand rests on the hilt of his morningstar, as he peers around the dilapidated room for anything of note.

Will save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23


M Half-orc Monk (Martial Artist) 5 {HP 43/44; AC16(20), T16, FF13(17); F+7 R+7 W+7; Init+2; Perc+10} {Effects: none}

Harold pads into the room cautiously as he looks around at the heck of a view. He motions at the furnace and the burnt-up east half of the room, "Wonder if da fire started 'ere. Migh'y big furnace fer bakin' awer 'eadin' up da place." Not letting his curiousity get the better of him, Harold keeps with Bjorn as they skirt over toward the southern door.

Will save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13


Giving others a chance to post before continuing.


Male Half-Orc Wizard (Conjurer) 5 {HP 34/34; AC 15, T 11, FF 14; F+3 R+3 W+6/+8 vs. fear effects; Init+1; Perc+12} {Effects: Mage Armor}

Korvus follows his companions, keeping a wary eye on the furnace while Maximus keeps a watchful eye on the eerily quiet lake from his perch on Korvus' shoulder.

Korvus' Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Korvus' Will Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20 - plus additional +2 if a fear effect

Maximus' Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Maximus' Will Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10


The group moves into the room, and an eerie silence descends on the room.

Harold & Maximus:
You detect the distinct stench of burning flesh. The aroma appears to be intensifying.

A loud 'CLANG!' draws your attention to the furnace. In the dim light of the room, you can make out several crudely carved words over the wood grate. The words read 'Ember Maw'. Looking at the grate, you are struck by its similarity to a massive toothy mouth...

Rushing wind blows through the room, and the interior of the furnace begins glowing. The grate over the interior creaks as it slowly begins to open.

What would you like to do?

Harold & Maximus:
As the interior of the furnace starts to glow, you can barely make out a figure trapped inside. If the furnace lights, whoever is in there will surely die!


Ulfen Cleric 2/Heirophant 1 (HP 29/29; AC:19, T:12, FF:17; Fort:+7 Ref:+3 Will +7; Init+2; Perc+9)
Resources:
Channel Positive 5/8 | Channel Cold 6/6 | Mythic 1/5

"To hell with this!" Bjorn grunts as he unstops his siphon and points it at the furnace.

Sorry, I have a personal rule about messing with haunted furnaces.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Oracle of Life 4

Alexei sees Bjorn aim his siphon at the furnace, and begins to gesture with his free hand, chanting quickly and quietly in his airy tongue. An open-palmed gesture marks the end of the spell's casting.

Alexei casts Detect Magic.


M Half-orc Monk (Martial Artist) 5 {HP 43/44; AC16(20), T16, FF13(17); F+7 R+7 W+7; Init+2; Perc+10} {Effects: none}

Harold grunts at the moving furnace before blinking his eyes several times, "Oy! There is somebody in there! They'll be a crispy side ov bacon if what fn' gets li' up!" Harold fumbles around in his pockets for his waterskin which once he finds, he aims the tip toward the interior of the furnace. He squeezes while keeping a hold of the tip, producing a high-powered stream of liquid refreshment straight into the mouth of Hell.


Alexei:
You detect a strong aura around the furnace.

Harold moves toward the furnace and pulls out his waterskin. He begins spraying a stream of water into the grate, which opens wide, like giant mouth preparing to feast!

The interior of the furnace roars to life, and the room is bathed in an eerie orange glow from the fire. Two gouts of flame shoot out toward Harold, but immediately before impact, they both curve around the half-orc toward Bjorn, who watches as the flames flow into the haunt siphon!

What would you like to do?

Harold & Maximus:
You no longer see anybody inside the furnace. It was apparently a trick of the light... or something more sinister!

-----

The haunt siphon gas changes color indicating it has been used for the day.

The furnace is putting off lots of heat, and long rays of fire are shooting out of the "mouth" - think scorching ray for a more detailed description of the effect.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Oracle of Life 4

"אני יכול לחוש כוח!" Alexei shouts, raising his shield between him and the furnace. He reaches for the siphon tucked in his belt.

Celestial:
I can sense strong magics!

Alexei draws his siphon (Move action) and continues to try and discern the magics surrounding the furnace (Standard action).


Alexei:
Evocation and Necromancy

-----

I think I'm changing the way detect magic works. It's fine for face-to-face gaming, but having to post back and forth three times in PbP games is kind of annoying. Anybody object if I simplify the mechanics of the spell a bit?


Male Human (Chelaxian) Oracle of Life 4

Not at all.


Ulfen Cleric 2/Heirophant 1 (HP 29/29; AC:19, T:12, FF:17; Fort:+7 Ref:+3 Will +7; Init+2; Perc+9)
Resources:
Channel Positive 5/8 | Channel Cold 6/6 | Mythic 1/5

Bjorns stows his used siphon.

"What now?" he barks.

Total defense for now.


Male Thrush Familiar {HP 14/14; AC 18, T 16, FF 16; F+0 R+4 W+6; Init+2; Perc+11} {Effects: none}

Apologies for absence. Catching up now.

Maximus flutters about, twittering excitedly as Harold squirts water into the furnace. The bird settles back onto Korvus' shoulder as Bjorn's haunt siphon captures the gouts of flame shooting from the furnace. "'Ere now! Ain't nobody in there! Must've been a trick 'o th' light or somethin'," the blackbird chirps shakily, glancing about the room wildly.


Male Half-Orc Wizard (Conjurer) 5 {HP 34/34; AC 15, T 11, FF 14; F+3 R+3 W+6/+8 vs. fear effects; Init+1; Perc+12} {Effects: Mage Armor}

Korvus listens to Alexei's warning and casts a minor spell, firing a ray of bright white energy toward the furnace.

Cast Disrupt Undead at the furnace.
Ranged Touch Attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Disrupt Undead Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3


The roaring of the fire inside the furnace continues to rumble. The grate begins moving again, in time with the rumbles, and you notice a pattern. It seems the furnace is laughing at you.

Korvus attack hits the furnace and the flames inside flicker slightly before resuming their full-fledged state.

Please roll initiatives and let me know what you want to do with your actions - no surprise round, so everyone has a full round to do something.


M Half-orc Monk (Martial Artist) 5 {HP 43/44; AC16(20), T16, FF13(17); F+7 R+7 W+7; Init+2; Perc+10} {Effects: none}

Harold pats at his eyebrows to make sure they are still there after the blast of fire that diverted about him. The half-orc growls in anger as he starts making a warding motion at the furnace, which looks more like him telling the inanimate object to do choice things with its non-existant anatomy, before spitting into the laughing face of the contraption. He restows his waterskin and hefts up his sword once more afterward.

Using my trait to cast Disrupt Undead on the furnace.
Disrupt Undead ranged touch vs furnace: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Disrupt Undead damage vs furnace: 1d6 ⇒ 3


Male Human (Chelaxian) Oracle of Life 4

Initiative: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Alexei pops the top off his his Haunt Siphon, aiming it directly at the laughing maw of the furnace. "להסתלק, מפלצת!"

Celestial:
Begone, monster!


Male Half-Orc Wizard (Conjurer) 5 {HP 34/34; AC 15, T 11, FF 14; F+3 R+3 W+6/+8 vs. fear effects; Init+1; Perc+12} {Effects: Mage Armor}

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

Holding action pending result of Alexei's haunt siphon.


Ulfen Cleric 2/Heirophant 1 (HP 29/29; AC:19, T:12, FF:17; Fort:+7 Ref:+3 Will +7; Init+2; Perc+9)
Resources:
Channel Positive 5/8 | Channel Cold 6/6 | Mythic 1/5

Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Bjorn raises his shield and looks to his allies.

"Blast the damned thing!"

Total defense.


M Half-orc Monk (Martial Artist) 5 {HP 43/44; AC16(20), T16, FF13(17); F+7 R+7 W+7; Init+2; Perc+10} {Effects: none}

And completely forgot Initiative roll...
Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19


Well, I wrote something but it looks like I just previewed it and didn't actually post it. :/

Round One
23 Alexei
19 Harold
17 Korvus
07 Ember Maw
03 Bjorn

Alexei releases the lid catch on his haunt siphon and aims the opening at the furnace. With a rushing noise, fire from inside the furnace swirls outward directly into the haunt siphon. After several seconds, the lid snaps closed on the now-glowing vial.

The fires inside the furnace have dimmed noticeably, and the laughter once coming from Ember Maw has turned into a roar of anger.

Harold flings a spell at the furnace, and a bright green light flashes as it connects.

Korvus?


Male Half-Orc Wizard (Conjurer) 5 {HP 34/34; AC 15, T 11, FF 14; F+3 R+3 W+6/+8 vs. fear effects; Init+1; Perc+12} {Effects: Mage Armor}

Round One:

Korvus retrieves his own haunt siphon from his belt pouch and points the vial toward the furnace as he twists it open.

Move action to retrieve haunt siphon; standard action to activate. Haunt siphon positive energy damage to Ember Maw: 3d6 ⇒ (1, 3, 6) = 10.


Seeing the effect of Alexei's haunt siphon, Korvus quickly retrieves his own, opens the lid, and aims it at the furnace.

A gout of flame shoots out of the grate, spinning in a tight spiral toward the haunt siphon. With a massive clang, the grate slams down and the fire goes out inside the furnace.

Harold & Maximus:
You both see what appear to be human bones inside the furnace.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Oracle of Life 4

Knowledge (Religion) check on the furnace: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Alexei tucks the now glowing vial back in his belt, sighing heavily. "Haunted furnaces? Really? Is there anything in this place that isn't a ghost or undead? Dawnflower forgive me, I almost wish this place had completely collapsed." Drawing his morningstar, he walks over to the side of the no-longer-animated stove, poking it cautiously with the weapon's head.

Durr, I probably should have tried making this Knolwedge check to start with.


Alexei:
As you get close enough to poke at it,, you can clearly see the scorched skeleton of a human inside the furnace.

That, coupled with your knowledge about undead matters, indicates to you that this furnace was likely haunted by the dead person's spirit. The only way to end this particular haunt for good is to put the spirit to rest.

I can't tell you how to put the spirit to rest, but your knowledge check was high enough that I'll tell you the act would most likely involve the bones in the furnace.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Oracle of Life 4

Alexei frowns as he notices the charred human remains inside the furnace. "It's likely this poor soul was the one haunting the furnace. They probably just want to be put to rest... maybe removing the bones and burying them somewhere would be enough?"

The oracle places his right hand on his chest, saying a short prayer for the deceased. "May the Dawnflower's light find you," he finishes, before looking to the others.


Ulfen Cleric 2/Heirophant 1 (HP 29/29; AC:19, T:12, FF:17; Fort:+7 Ref:+3 Will +7; Init+2; Perc+9)
Resources:
Channel Positive 5/8 | Channel Cold 6/6 | Mythic 1/5

Bjorn casts the oracle a nebulous glance before soldiering up and approaching the furnace.

"You want me to pull them out? We can bury them in the yard", the big Ulfen suggests.


M Half-orc Monk (Martial Artist) 5 {HP 43/44; AC16(20), T16, FF13(17); F+7 R+7 W+7; Init+2; Perc+10} {Effects: none}

Harold moves to help Bjorn, "Probably be best ter just stick 'em in a bag until we can bury 'em proper-like in da cemetary on sacred ground. Soul might rest easier there."


Bjorn & Harold:
As you investigate the bones, you note that despite spitting out flames just a few moments before, the furnace is cool to the touch.

The bones, however, are very hot. Both of you think the bones would be hot enough to start a fire if they were to contact anything flammable, and they are certainly hot enough to burn your skin.


Ulfen Cleric 2/Heirophant 1 (HP 29/29; AC:19, T:12, FF:17; Fort:+7 Ref:+3 Will +7; Init+2; Perc+9)
Resources:
Channel Positive 5/8 | Channel Cold 6/6 | Mythic 1/5

After bundling his arms in some cloth (a spare set of clothes most likely) , Bjorn will fish out the bones a few at a time bearing whatever burns comes with them.


Male Half-Orc Wizard (Conjurer) 5 {HP 34/34; AC 15, T 11, FF 14; F+3 R+3 W+6/+8 vs. fear effects; Init+1; Perc+12} {Effects: Mage Armor}

"Here, Master Stonehand. No need to risk setting yourself on fire," Korvus says as the Ulfen begins to bundle his arms in cloth. The half-orc wizard recites a short mystical phrase as he beckons toward the bones with one hand. Responding to the minor magics, the bones begin to float out of the furnace one-by-one and stack neatly on the floor.

Use Mage Hand to retrieve the bones from the furnace.


Ulfen Cleric 2/Heirophant 1 (HP 29/29; AC:19, T:12, FF:17; Fort:+7 Ref:+3 Will +7; Init+2; Perc+9)
Resources:
Channel Positive 5/8 | Channel Cold 6/6 | Mythic 1/5

Mage Hand only works on non-magical items. Being haunted, they may count as magical.

That said, Bjorn doesn't mind not being burned. =P


True on the spell limitations, but I'm okay with mage hand in this situation.

The bones are removed from the furnace, but everyone can still feel the heat emanating from them, even from several feet away.

I've updated the map in the shared folder


Male Human (Chelaxian) Oracle of Life 4

Alexei frowns again, looking at the piping-hot bones. He rubs his bearded chin for a moment, before he seems to come to a conclusion. "...I have an idea," the oracle starts, while gesturing towards the bones, incanting under his breath. Suddenly, water begins to pour forth from his hand, cascading onto the pile of remains.

Alexei casts Create Water.


A loud hiss occurs when the water hits the bones, with steam and smoke rising from the remains. As the spell ends, a transparent image of a man rises from the bones and flies up into the air, disappearing through the ceiling. Before he disappeared from view, everyone saw the look of peace on his face.

With the spirit finally laid to rest, the bones holding it to this place now crumble into dust.

A clang sounds from behind you, and the group turns to see the furnace now appearing as if the time and weather of five decades have finally affected it. The entire thing is now little more than a rusted and broken heap of metal.

Nicely done, where to now?


M Half-orc Monk (Martial Artist) 5 {HP 43/44; AC16(20), T16, FF13(17); F+7 R+7 W+7; Init+2; Perc+10} {Effects: none}

As the bones fall into ash, Harold glances at the others before coughing, "So on'ard then?" He heads toward the northernly door by the fallen wall leading into the pool of water.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Oracle of Life 4

Alexei seems to honestly smile for the first time since entering the prison, "Yes, onward." The bearded oracle puts a hand to his chest and says another short prayer for the deceased, before drawing his morningstar and readying to move on.

I suppose we should head towards the door on the far side of the room that heads south.


Ulfen Cleric 2/Heirophant 1 (HP 29/29; AC:19, T:12, FF:17; Fort:+7 Ref:+3 Will +7; Init+2; Perc+9)
Resources:
Channel Positive 5/8 | Channel Cold 6/6 | Mythic 1/5

Bjorn kneels down and picks up a handful of the dust. He rubs it between his fingertips.

"Well done, Holyman."

"Let's keep moving."

South it is.

801 to 850 of 1,546 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / To Wear the Carrion Crown (Group 3 - Gameplay) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.