Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

To Wear the Carrion Crown (Group 2) (Inactive)

Game Master Haldhin

Carrion Crown Adventure Path


151 to 200 of 1,082 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

So Leon is heading for the Temple of Pharasma, anybody else? If you are not heading to the Temple, are you going directly to the Restlands?


Male half-elf Summoner (Wild Caller) 5

I don't think its a good idea to separate. I'll go with Leon and we'll meet up later.


Human Rogue(Thug/Scout) 1 , hp 11/11, AC 17(T14/FF13) CMD 16, Init +6, Perc +5. F+2/R+6/W+1

We might as well stick together for the time being.


DM screen:
1d20 + 20 ⇒ (19) + 20 = 39

The familiar view of the Temple comes into sight as you approach it from the south. Though easily one of the largest buildings in Ravengro, the muted colors and lack of ostentation makes it seem smaller somehow, as if the builders intentionally constructed it so as to not draw attention to it.

An acolyte greets you as you enter, and nods as you request a meeting with Father Grimburrow. Several minutes pass before the old priest emerges from a door in the rear of the sanctuary. He beckons you forward as he stands by the open doorway.

"Greetings, friends. Be welcome in Pharasma's presence." he says in a formal style. He waves you into a large office with plenty of seating for all.

He moves to the right side of the room and seats himself beside a small writing desk. He looks the group over for a few seconds, "So, I do not notice the typical visages of sorrow or grief that visitors usually bring me, which means you are not here about my duties at Ravengro's mortician. And I know you were friends of the Professor, which means you likely have similar interests, shall we say? And from the expressions on some of your faces, the matter you bring to me is either delicate or distasteful... Assuming I am correct in my initial estimation, what can I help you with today?"

Knowledge: religion DC 15:
Father Grimburrow is a relatively high-ranking member of the clergy, likely given charge of the Temple in Ravengro as a reward for a life of service and devotion to the Church of Pharasma. He directly controls this Temple, and likely advises others in the region. It would also be a safe bet to assume he has a direct line to the highest ears of Church leadership should the need arise.

Sense Motive DC 15:
Father Grimburrow is an old man used to dealing with people exhibiting a variety of emotions. He has spent decades ministering to people who are either at their strongest or weakest points in life. He is very likely an excellent judge of both character and "reading between the lines" when speaking with others.


HP 53, AC 22/25, F +9, R +7, W +7, +10 Perception, Punish 1/1

"We have reason to believe that Professor Lorrimer may have hidden some important objects in one of the crypts in our graveyard, Father. We wanted your permission before we started looking for them."


DM Screen:
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

The old priest responds, "You have reason to believe the Professor hid something in one of the crypts? What exactly do you mean by that? I would be... disappointed... to learn that he violated the sanctity of The Restlands."

Sense Motive DC 15:
Something about the way Father Grimburrow responded indicates that his response is based more out of curiosity than anger.


Human Rogue(Thug/Scout) 1 , hp 11/11, AC 17(T14/FF13) CMD 16, Init +6, Perc +5. F+2/R+6/W+1

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 16

"He may have had a good reason to do, but we will not know unless we investigate further. We had no desire to trespass without leave and thought it best to bring the matter to you. "


HP 53, AC 22/25, F +9, R +7, W +7, +10 Perception, Punish 1/1

"We don't know what's there. It was just something that was mentioned in his notes while we were researching what lead up to his death. We were hoping whatever he hid might be helpful in our investigation."


Grimburrow considers your responses, "I see. I appreciate your wisdom in bringing this to my attention. But I must also ask, what investigation are you conducting? I find it peculiar that Petros Lorrimor would have used The Restlands for anything of importance to him... I knew the man for many years, but we were not friends. Even so, I always regarded him as someone who moved deliberately. That is to say, I believe he always had a plan in place before he made any decisions or selected a course of action."

He brings his hands together and folds them in his lap, "So now you are here, friends of Petros who coincidentally appear in Ravengro so soon after his blessed passing. And now you are conducting an investigation and following in the good Professor's footsteps. I assume the matter is of some importance or else you would have simply left town after a period of mourning. With that, I suggest we speak plainly. What are you investigating, what do you hope to find in The Restlands, and what do you need from me?"


Human Rogue(Thug/Scout) 1 , hp 11/11, AC 17(T14/FF13) CMD 16, Init +6, Perc +5. F+2/R+6/W+1

Someone with a good diplomacy score want to handle this one?


HP 53, AC 22/25, F +9, R +7, W +7, +10 Perception, Punish 1/1

Leon nodded. "Honestly, we aren't sure what we are investigating. There were some things in his notes that led us to believe that his death may not have been an accident. We may be wrong, but for our own peice of mind we have decided to look into this. As a follower of Lady Pharasma, I am sure you can appriciate the need to find out as many details as possible on the deaths of those who lie in your tombs. You keep the records, don't you?"


Mithias, nobody needs to roll Diplomacy checks at the moment. Grimburrow is being "friendly" right now, if a bit direct in trying to figure out what everyone is doing in his office... :)


Male Gnome Druid 1

"To be blunt, we have heard Whispers that lead us to believe the good Professor's death may not have been accidental. I know personally, I'm willing to look into that possibility because I feel that outing the truth is the least I could do to honor his memory." Taking a steadying breath, Girvin did his best to assess the clergyman's mood before continuing.

"Given the history of the Harrowstone, and the Way the professor's studies branched into unusual subjects, we thought it best to prepare ourselves for anything before looking into things personally. The Professor's journal mentioned that a false crypt was historically outfitted in the Restlands as a home of defenses against the... unnatural - so it seemed like something to look into before going forward."

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18 detect motive


Male Elf Rogue 5 [HP 38/38 || AC 20, T 15, FF 16 || F +2, R +8, W +1 (+3)] {Effects: None}

"Everyone is going crazy with the play on words," Firavel mutters.

"Indeed, the professor had encountered ghostly dangers at the old prison during his investigation of those who we suspect killed him. His research here may have uncovered the cache and subsequently he moved to borrow some items to protect himself from these ghosts while trying to find out what these others were doing. As we desire to retrace his movements, a visit to this crypt seems to be in order."


Male half-elf Summoner (Wild Caller) 5

"I know it must seem strange for strangers to come to your town and start investigating a man's death. But you must understand that to us he wasn't just a man. Personally, Professor Lorrimor was a mentor to me, he guided me and helped me become who I am today. Even if his last wishes did not include a request to stay for a while to aid his daughter I would still be here and still be trying to find out why he died. I am sorry if that makes you uncomfortable but nothing short of being sent to meet the gods will stop me and I would rather have your blessing than your ire."


Human Rogue(Thug/Scout) 1 , hp 11/11, AC 17(T14/FF13) CMD 16, Init +6, Perc +5. F+2/R+6/W+1

Mithias punctuates Girvin's emphasized Whispers and Way with a broad over-exaggerated wink.


Father Grimburrow listens intently as you all make your case. When Girvin mentions a false crypt, the priest's eyes widen slightly. After everyone finishes, he responds, "The false crypt... that rings a bell. In older times, when the undead scourge had finally been cleansed from our lands, our church was rumored to have laid away stores of equipment. But in the past few hundred years, those caches have become little more than stories."

"While I would not normally authorize anyone to disturb the peace of The Restlands, in this case, I will make an exception... with one condition. You may investigate this false crypt, but two of my acolytes will accompany you. Is that acceptable?"

Girvin:
You sense that Father Grimburrow is being very frank with you, and seems to be legitimately interested in the false crypt you spoke about.


HP 53, AC 22/25, F +9, R +7, W +7, +10 Perception, Punish 1/1

"Of course." Leon said with a nod. "Thank you."


Male half-elf Summoner (Wild Caller) 5

"Yes, thank you father."


Sorry, should have added this last night... Let me know if anybody wants to do anything before heading to The Restlands.


Human Rogue(Thug/Scout) 1 , hp 11/11, AC 17(T14/FF13) CMD 16, Init +6, Perc +5. F+2/R+6/W+1

Mithias goes to get his adventuring gear, before heading over to the Restlands.

I imagined that he wasn't wandering around town in his full battle gear.


Male Elf Rogue 5 [HP 38/38 || AC 20, T 15, FF 16 || F +2, R +8, W +1 (+3)] {Effects: None}

Firavel joins Mithias in returning to the Lorrimor place. "Makes sense to grab our things and let Kendra know we may be out for a while. Assuming we're going to Harrowstone after we pick up the goods from the crypt."


Male half-elf Summoner (Wild Caller) 5

if were going directly afterwards then Sethis will go as well to gather his gear.


HP 53, AC 22/25, F +9, R +7, W +7, +10 Perception, Punish 1/1

Same here

"We will meet you at the gates to the Restlands, Father. Going into a long-sealed tomb is not an undertaking to be considered lightly."


The acolytes are waiting for you at the entrance to The Restlands. One tall and thin man introduces himself as Antoly, while a shorter man with a scar on his right cheek introduces himself as Bertram. Both are wearing leather armor and wearing daggers at their sides. The acolytes indicate that Father Grimburrow filled them in with the details you shared, and they are here to help you with whatever you need, assuring you they do not wish to interfere with your investigation.

Nobody else appears to be visiting The Restlands right now, and the acolytes quickly lead you to the area detailed in Professor Lorrimor's journal. After nearly 30 minutes of searching, a faint doorway is located on the rear side of an old tomb. Both acolytes seem shocked by the discovery. Antoly points out that the inscription on the tomb indicates it marks the burial location of a revered hero of Pharasma, while Bertram idly notes the coincidence of the location, given what is supposed to reside inside.

Disable Device DC 15:
A small depression on the side of the tomb masks a hidden button. When pushed, a release is tripped and the doorway swings open to reveal a narrow set of steps that descend into the ground. A stone floor rests at the bottom of the stairs, leading away into darkness.


Male Elf Rogue 5 [HP 38/38 || AC 20, T 15, FF 16 || F +2, R +8, W +1 (+3)] {Effects: None}

Disable Device DC 15: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

Firavel reaches around the side of the tomb to press the button and tries to peer into the darkness.


Firavel:
You can see about sixty feet into the undertomb before the angle of looking down the stairs cuts off your view. It appears the stairs lead to a sublevel about thirty feet wide and extending beyond your vision. There are several stone sarcophagi lining the walls.


Male Gnome Druid 1

"Nice find on that button." Girvin cooed as he watched the elf's nearly instinctual performance. Their evidence for this particular crypt seemed a bit circumstantial, but it was certainly a better lead than they had on any other crypt checked. Stepping up to the now exposed maw, Girvin took a moment to closely inspect the area near the doorway, in the hopes of finding some recent sign of disturbance that they could connect to the Professor's earlier visit. Giving a brief nod of satisfaction to himself the gnome picks up a small pebble nearby, reaches into his pocket, and says a few muttered words to illuminate the stone. "Any objections to me tossing it in?"

Given no objections, consider the pebble thrown.

Actions:

-1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16 Perception
-1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20 Survival (tracking)?
-Cast orison - Light


HP 53, AC 22/25, F +9, R +7, W +7, +10 Perception, Punish 1/1

never enter a crypt unarmed his uncle's words echoed in Leon's mind. Carry a weapon for cutting, a weapon for bashing, and a source of fire

Leon took off his fine velvet coat and pulled on a reinforced leather jack, then belted on a heavier harness dotted with pouches, weapons and tools. Taking the time to light an actual torch, the young knight stepped into the entry way next to Firavel.

Mind if I take point?


Male half-elf Summoner (Wild Caller) 5

"Why are secret crypts always so big? as he looks down the tunnel then to Leon arming himself for battle."Leon, do you really expect violence inside the Restlands? After all aren't these lands blessed by Pharasma to prevent undead or something?"


HP 53, AC 22/25, F +9, R +7, W +7, +10 Perception, Punish 1/1

"I hope there won't be violence. I've seen the inside of a few crypts. The first was actually with Professor Lorrimer. It'll probably be pretty dirty in there. I figured leathers would be better suited than velvet.

To be clear, the only real weapon Leon carries is his Rapier. The rest are tools that might double as weapons (and are pretty clearly both), like crowbars, handaxes and daggers.


The pebble bounces down the stone stairs, and skips across the floor. After a few seconds of waiting, you neither see nor hear anything out of the ordinary.

Girvin's light spell and Leon's torch provide enough illumination for everyone to see the bottom of the stairs and the stone sarcophagi lining the walls. The crypt itself continues farther than your vision permits you to see from the top of the stairs.

Girvin:
You notice the faint outline of footprints leading down into the crypt, and apparently the same footprints leading back out. From the disturbed dirt and dust, you would guess the footprints are between two and four weeks old. These correspond with the Professor's entry about the crypt


Male Gnome Druid 1

Girvin released a short, shrill whistle cueing a large snake to crawl out of a nearby bush and heel at his leg. Taking a look to all the others, the gnome took a single exaggerated step onto the descending staircase. "Well, let's do this. If, uh- someone a bit more durable wants to go in front of me I wouldn't object."

Help yourself, Leon


Male half-elf Summoner (Wild Caller) 5

"Feel free to take point."


HP 53, AC 22/25, F +9, R +7, W +7, +10 Perception, Punish 1/1

Leon nods and moves ahead and down the stairs, briefly testing his weight on each step before settling and moving to the next.

"Never know what might give way in these old tombs. Keep your eyes out for loose stones too. When I was younger, the professor told me that many masons use sub-par mortar on buildings no one will be living in, and after a few decades collapses become likely."


Male half-elf Summoner (Wild Caller) 5

"Great, now we have to worry about this place buryig us alive? And my family wonders why I prefer the woods."


Male Elf Rogue 5 [HP 38/38 || AC 20, T 15, FF 16 || F +2, R +8, W +1 (+3)] {Effects: None}

"I'm thinking that the building can't be too problematic. If this is truly the place, Lorrimor came and went without incident. Presuming he wouldn't have withheld such information from his diary. Nonetheless, keep an eye out for pitfalls and traps. One can never be too careful."

Looking for traps and the like as we descend.
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


Human Rogue(Thug/Scout) 1 , hp 11/11, AC 17(T14/FF13) CMD 16, Init +6, Perc +5. F+2/R+6/W+1

"I'm sure we have nothing to fear, but best safe than sorry."


The group cautiously makes its way down the stairs, arriving at the floor nearly twenty feet below the surface. The ground is covered in large flagstones, and the walls appear to be natural stone - obviously worked through arm or magic. The room extends eighty feet beyond you, and remains thirty feet wide until the far wall. Four stone caskets line each wall, each with imagery representing Pharasma and her worship.

The light from your torches and spells is enough to illuminate the entire room, though the stone caskets cast shadows all around you.

Girvin, Firavel:
Your trained eyes quickly pick out footprints in the dust (Girvin, these are the same you saw on the steps). The prints lead back and forth across the room, apparently visiting each of the crypts.

Firavel:
You do not find any traps, pits, or other protective features in the crypt.

I need Perception checks from everyone please.


Male Elf Rogue 5 [HP 38/38 || AC 20, T 15, FF 16 || F +2, R +8, W +1 (+3)] {Effects: None}

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


Male Gnome Druid 1

"Hear hear for preferring the woods."

perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20


Human Rogue(Thug/Scout) 1 , hp 11/11, AC 17(T14/FF13) CMD 16, Init +6, Perc +5. F+2/R+6/W+1

Perception:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Survival:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Mithias enters the crypt cautiously, stooping to study the footprints in the dust.


Male half-elf Summoner (Wild Caller) 5

perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16


You can continue with actions as desired. The caskets appear to have stone lids that open by sliding off to either side.


HP 53, AC 22/25, F +9, R +7, W +7, +10 Perception, Punish 1/1

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

Looking to the pair of acolytes, Leon asks "If we need to open a tomb, are there any rites that need be performed first?"


Male half-elf Summoner (Wild Caller) 5

This looks just like an ordinary crypt. How are we supposed to find anything here?
"So where do we start looking? I doubt the priests would be happy if we just started opening caskets and it wouldn't be fair to anyone interred within either."

Did the two representatives from the church come down with us?


Human Rogue(Thug/Scout) 1 , hp 11/11, AC 17(T14/FF13) CMD 16, Init +6, Perc +5. F+2/R+6/W+1

"Shall we follow the footsteps and see where they lead?"


Male Elf Rogue 5 [HP 38/38 || AC 20, T 15, FF 16 || F +2, R +8, W +1 (+3)] {Effects: None}

"The footprints seem to visit each crypt. Perhaps if we go to what seems like the last crypt Lorrimor visited, assuming the footprints to be his, we'll find what he was looking for. Hopefully he didn't take it all."

Can we figure this out?


DM Screen:
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Between the tracking skills of Girvin and Mithias, the group is able to follow the footprints well enough to trace the path. The trail leads to each of the first three caskets on each side (right, then left, then right, etc.), ending at the fourth on the right. The trail does not to to the last casket on the left.

Girvin, Sethis:
As you get close to the fourth casket, you notice a two-foot wide crack in the rear left wall, almost entirely hidden in the shadows. What concerns you the most are the undulating forms moving within the opening.

As the group moves toward the back of the crypt, a loud chittering sound begins from the back wall on the left. A large segmented creature emerges from the shadows moving forward on hundreds of chitinous legs, its forcipules dripping with a sickly green liquid. Another creature emerges from the shadows, following the first, both of them head directly toward you.

Knowlege: nature DC 10:
These creatures appear to be giant centipedes. More informatin will be provided depending on your skill check result.

Please roll initiative and post your intention once combat begins; Girvin and Sethis, you both get to act in the surprise round. Once everyone has posted an action, I'll recap the round and we'll move along from there.

I am not posting a map for this unless people really want it; assume you can make any reasonable tactical adjustments - i.e. if you want to flank one of the creatures, assume you can do it.


Human Rogue(Thug/Scout) 1 , hp 11/11, AC 17(T14/FF13) CMD 16, Init +6, Perc +5. F+2/R+6/W+1

Knowledge(Nature):1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

Perception:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Mithas moves forward to flank one of the creatures and stabs out with his spear.

Power attack[Reach]:1d20 + 2 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (12) + 2 + 2 - 1 = 15
Damage:1d8 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 3 = 10

AOO if needed:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

151 to 200 of 1,082 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / To Wear the Carrion Crown (Group 2 - Gameplay) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.