Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


To Wear the Carrion Crown (Inactive)

Game Master Haldhin

Running the Carrion Crown Adventure Path.


101 to 150 of 1,336 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Karl scampers up the barn easily, reaching a point at the apex of the roof nearly thirty feet above the ground.

Looking over the field, he sees three areas where the wheat appears disturbed beyond the point of natural growth. Further arousing suspicion, all three appear to meet at a central location near the center of the field.

Two paths run southeast from this point, though they diverge to become a few feet apart when they reach the edge of the wheat. Another path runs from the central point northeast, toward the barn (and the blood splatter).

As Karl is noting the locations of these disturbed areas, a short gust of wind, followed by an odor of rotten meat, catches his attention.

Karl's gaze follows the gust toward a ventilated cupola on the roof. From between the slats, a growling bald man with glowing yellow eyes suddenly materializes and leaps toward Karl with an upraised axe in his hand!

Please roll a Will save DC 15.

If Karl makes it:
The image passes through Karl harmlessly and disappears.

If Karl fails:
The axe slashes across Karl's neck dealing 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 damage. Karl also must roll a Reflex save DC 15; if he makes the save, he remains on the roof, otherwise he slides down the roof and falls to the ground, suffering 1d6 ⇒ 2 more damage.

After that event is resolved:
Both Shanoa and Michael clearly saw what happened, and Michael's detect evil erupted as the image appeared.


Male Human Alchemist 4 (HP 28/28 - AC15, T13, FF12 - F+5 R+6 W+2 - Init+2 - Perc+8) (Effects: +2 save vs Poison)

Roland thanks Zokar and orders a cup of mead, then offers the 1 GP for the private room.

-1 GP

"Some companions may arrive shortly to join us. Please let them know we're in the back."

Following the Slaughter Priest to the back, Roland takes a seat, then leans in and lowers his voice out of habit.

"What did you wish to discuss?"


Male Gnome Wizard (Fire) 3 (HP 19/24 AC 13, T 13, FF 11/ F +3, R +3, W +3/ Init. +2/ Per. +2)

Was Karl able to relay the information about the disturbed areas before he's "attacked"?


Oorincunathysin wrote:
Was Karl able to relay the information about the disturbed areas before he's "attacked"?

Ah, sorry. Had Oorin with the others for some reason in my notes - apologies.

Yes, Karl would have had time to give basic details about what he saw from the roof. A few sentences at most.

Oorin also sees what happens to him on the roof.


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4

Will: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Ouch! There's that Achilles heel...

Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Karl manages to keep his feet.

initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

Karl cries out in pain at the gash on the side of his neck.

AMBUSH!!!


No initiative needed. The apparition disappears immediately after striking you.

You also notice that the wound you suffered is not actually a gash despite what you felt. Instead of a cut, a large bruise has developed where you were "struck" by the axe.


Roland Savardson wrote:

Roland thanks Zokar and orders a cup of mead, then offers the 1 GP for the private room.

-1 GP

"Some companions may arrive shortly to join us. Please let them know we're in the back."

Following the Slaughter Priest to the back, Roland takes a seat, then leans in and lowers his voice out of habit.

"What did you wish to discuss?"

"I have some suspicion as to what happened to The Professor. But I am not great on book learning so I must ask these things. First, tell me all that you know about the Whispering Way." The Slaughter Priest maintains the volume and firmness of his voice, very much unafraid of whoever might hear their conversation.


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4
DM Haldhin wrote:

No initiative needed. The apparition disappears immediately after striking you.

You also notice that the wound you suffered is not actually a gash despite what you felt. Instead of a cut, a large bruise has developed where you were "struck" by the axe.

This can't be happening... People do not just appear and disappear like that. Especially not men with glowing eyes...

What is this foul sorcery... Did you all see that? I'm not crazy! Something happened!

Karl gathers himself and carefully makes his way back down the side of the barn to the relative safety of the ground.

Climb: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8


Male Human Paladin (Undead Scourge) 1

Michael staggers back as the evil from Karl's assailant overwhelms him. As Karl comes down, Michael quickly seizes the young man's uninjured arm. "Are you alright? Did that man say anything to you before he disappeared?"

The pulse of evil still lodged in Michael's brain, he looks down at Karl's bruise and concentrates on it, attempting to assess the entirety of the evil aura coming from it.

Will spend a move action and concentrate on the bruise to determine all information about it as if I had spent three rounds.


Male Human Alchemist 4 (HP 28/28 - AC15, T13, FF12 - F+5 R+6 W+2 - Init+2 - Perc+8) (Effects: +2 save vs Poison)
The Slaughter Priest wrote:
"I have some suspicion as to what happened to The Professor. But I am not great on book learning so I must ask these things. First, tell me all that you know about the Whispering Way." The Slaughter Priest maintains the volume and firmness of his voice, very much unafraid of whoever might hear their conversation.

Damn. The one subject I'm not familiar with in this whole mess. It figures.

Roland looks a little sheepish.

"Sadly, I don't know much more than you, I suspect. Other than what we read yesterday in the Professor's journal. They seem to be some cult dedicated to undeath, yes? And he mentioned they were interested in something related to this ruined prison."


"You are not dissecting the journal entries enough, Roland. What do cultists dedicated to undeath seek? Is it not eternal life?" The Slaughter Priest asks Roland leading questions like a lawyer in a courtroom.


Male Human Alchemist 4 (HP 28/28 - AC15, T13, FF12 - F+5 R+6 W+2 - Init+2 - Perc+8) (Effects: +2 save vs Poison)
The Slaughter Priest wrote:
"You are not dissecting the journal entries enough, Roland. What do cultists dedicated to undeath seek? Is it not eternal life?" The Slaughter Priest asks Roland leading questions like a lawyer in a courtroom.

Roland taps his fingers on the table, thinking for a moment.

"Well... I wouldn't say 'eternal life,' per se, because the undead aren't really 'living.' But certainly a continuance of sorts. One that stretches beyond death."


Roland Savardson wrote:
The Slaughter Priest wrote:
"You are not dissecting the journal entries enough, Roland. What do cultists dedicated to undeath seek? Is it not eternal life?" The Slaughter Priest asks Roland leading questions like a lawyer in a courtroom.

Roland taps his fingers on the table, thinking for a moment.

"Well... I wouldn't say 'eternal life,' per se, because the undead aren't really 'living.' But certainly a continuance of sorts. One that stretches beyond death."

"And how do you think they plan to achieve such an end? Surely such is common knowledge among the learned?"


Male Human Alchemist 4 (HP 28/28 - AC15, T13, FF12 - F+5 R+6 W+2 - Init+2 - Perc+8) (Effects: +2 save vs Poison)
The Slaughter Priest wrote:
"And how do you think they plan to achieve such an end? Surely such is common knowledge among the learned?"

What is Arthur getting at, exactly?

"I wouldn't exactly call such knowledge 'common' at all. Indeed, in some corners of Ustalav even the suggestion that you possess such knowledge could get you hanged. I don't think I need to remind you of the reception the funeral received yesterday from some of the more superstitious locals."

"Still... I have heard tell of arcane means that can allow more unscrupulous practitioners to 'continue' beyond their natural lifespan. And I'm under the impression you can 'catch' undeath through other means. I admit my research tends toward subjects of life and the living."

I assume the above to be knowledge Roland would readily have, but if I'm wrong I'll happily ret-con. Also, just in case there's anything more in depth that I know:
Knowledge (Arcane) 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14
Really, couldn't even crack 15 with a +12 modifier? :p


Roland Savardson wrote:
The Slaughter Priest wrote:
"And how do you think they plan to achieve such an end? Surely such is common knowledge among the learned?"

What is Arthur getting at, exactly?

"I wouldn't exactly call such knowledge 'common' at all. Indeed, in some corners of Ustalav even the suggestion that you possess such knowledge could get you hanged. I don't think I need to remind you of the reception the funeral received yesterday from some of the more superstitious locals."

"Still... I have heard tell of arcane means that can allow more unscrupulous practitioners to 'continue' beyond their natural lifespan. And I'm under the impression you can 'catch' undeath through other means. I admit my research tends toward subjects of life and the living."

"And what rumors of such research have you heard, Roland? Please feel free to speculate. Perhaps, a correspondence you may have had with the Professor can provide the answer."

This time The Slaughter Priest whispers:

"The Professor was murdered, Roland. He was not the accident prone man that the circumstances of his death make him out to be."

"Identifying the murderer or murderers require us to determine 3 things: one, motive, two, means, and three opportunity."


Male Human Alchemist 4 (HP 28/28 - AC15, T13, FF12 - F+5 R+6 W+2 - Init+2 - Perc+8) (Effects: +2 save vs Poison)
The Slaughter Priest wrote:
"And rumors of such research have you heard, Roland? Please feel free to speculate. Perhaps, a correspondence you may have had with the Professor can provide the answer."

Roland takes a sip of his mead, and "hmm"s to himself for a moment.

"Well. If an arcane means of becoming a powerful, free-willed undead exists, I certainly have never heard of it - and I consider myself to be something of an expert in such matters."

Though it's possible Oorin may know something I don't on the matter...

"Very well, speculation. Well, if it's not a common ritual, it must be secret, and it must require a great deal of effort and power to perform. Likely rare and potent reagents. And when you dabble in the darker arts of necromancy, one can assume many of those reagents may not exactly be 'legal.'"

Roland frowns.

"Do you suspect this 'Whispering Way' may be searching for powerful tools or materials here in Ravengro? Or at the ruined prison?"

Again, trying not to dip into out-of-character knowledge here.
Also, I posted all that before you added your whispered part.

The Slaughter Priest wrote:

"The Professor was murdered, Roland. He was not the accident prone man that the circumstances of his death make him out to be."

"Identifying the murderer or murderers require us to determine 3 things: one, motive, two, means, and three opportunity."

Roland leans in.

"I suspected as much, too. The means of his death very 'conveniently' rendered a Speak with Dead spell impossible. No one would be able to question his spirit why he was at the prison, nor about the circumstances of his death."


"Yes, the Journal suggests as much. But we need to find out which 'ruins' and 'fire' the Professor was referring to. And what is the Harrowstone? And do you know of some way of protecting ourselves from ghosts?"


Male Human Alchemist 4 (HP 28/28 - AC15, T13, FF12 - F+5 R+6 W+2 - Init+2 - Perc+8) (Effects: +2 save vs Poison)
The Slaughter Priest wrote:
"Yes, the Journal suggests as much. But we need to find out which 'ruins' and 'fire' the Professor is referring to. And what is the Harrowstone? And do you know of some way of protecting ourselves from ghosts?"

"Ah yes, you joined us late this morning. The defaced statue was that of the last warden of Harrowstone prison, which was destroyed in a terrible fire some years ago. Miss Lorrimor mentioned the warden himself had been slain in the inferno."

"As for protection from ghosts, sadly no. Again, a subject a little too far afield for me. However, last night both Shanoa and Michael mentioned some prior experience with the undead. Perhaps they may have some ideas?"


The Slaughter Priest re-reads the Professor's Journal.

"Listen to this: The Professor suspected that this Whispering Way people were looking for something in the Harrowstone Prison, something that may prolong life or the semblance of it. The prison is now inhabited by ghosts whose identities could be the ones who died there during the fire. The tools for our protection against ghosts could be found in a false crypt in the Restlands at the intersection between Eversleep and the Black Path. If we do not stop this Whispering Way people then perhaps they and/or the ghosts of Harrowstone may pose an even greater threat to Ravengro."


Male Human Alchemist 4 (HP 28/28 - AC15, T13, FF12 - F+5 R+6 W+2 - Init+2 - Perc+8) (Effects: +2 save vs Poison)
The Slaughter Priest wrote:
"Listen to this: The Professor suspected that this Whispering Way people were looking for something in the Harrowstone Prison, something that may prolong life or the semblance of it. The prison is now inhabited by ghosts whose identities could be the ones who died there during the fire. The tools for our protection against ghosts could be found in a false crypt in the Restlands at the intersection between Eversleep and the Black Path. If we do not stop this Whispering Way people then perhaps they and/or the ghosts of Harrowstone may pose an even greater threat to Ravengro."

Roland sighs and drinks some more mead.

I can't very well abandon this. If the Professor was murdered, there must be justice. More than that... if he was a stalwart opponent of evil, I would be a poor student indeed if I did not carry on his legacy.

"Agreed. We cannot allow this to escalate. This morning's vandalism of the monument may be related to this somehow."

"It seems to me the answers to our questions lie at the scene of the Professor's murder. Therefore, we must learn all we can about this Harrowstone Prison. We should also speak with the local temple of Pharasma about this false crypt, and see what tools it can provide us."


"Then we should look at this monument. After which we shall ask around about the Prison and the Temple of Pharasma."


Male Human Alchemist 4 (HP 28/28 - AC15, T13, FF12 - F+5 R+6 W+2 - Init+2 - Perc+8) (Effects: +2 save vs Poison)
The Slaughter Priest wrote:
"Then we should look at this monument. After which we shall ask around about the Prison and the Temple of Pharasma."

Roland smiles, in spite of the gravity of the situation.

"You're in luck! The monument has already been looked at!"

"As I said, it is a statue of the warden who served when the prison was destroyed by fire. If I recall what Kend - *ahem* - Miss Lorrimor told me, he was celebrated for having saved many lives before sacrificing his own. I don't know the circumstances of the fire, however."

He dips his finger in his mead and draws a wet "V" on the table between himself and The Slaughter Priest.

"Someone left a message on the statue, a 'V', drawn in animal blood. No sign of who did it, or why. Though Karl believed he'd found a trail. Perhaps when the others rejoin us, they may have more answers."


"Let's go back to the monument. The act of vandalism suggests that it is important somehow."

"By the way, do you have strong ties with the Pharasman church?"


Male Human Alchemist 4 (HP 28/28 - AC15, T13, FF12 - F+5 R+6 W+2 - Init+2 - Perc+8) (Effects: +2 save vs Poison)
The Slaughter Priest wrote:

"Let's go back to the monument. The act of vandalism suggests that it is important somehow."

"By the way, do you have strong ties with the Pharasman church?"

"I was brought up in the faith, but wouldn't exactly call myself practicing."

Roland rises and finishes his mead.

"The others were going to meet us back here. I'll leave a message for them."

As the pair leave the inn, he stops to speak with Zokar again.

"If you don't mind, hold our room for the duration of our rental. If our associates return while we're still out, please take them back there and let them know we'll be back shortly."

I still have to send that letter to the University, too. Mustn't forget to do that.

The unusual duo head back to the monument.


"Roland, a blade dipped in holy water do you think it has a chance of harming a ghost?"

"Pardon my curiosity if it disturbs you but in my business knowledge of how to destroy a thing is just as important as protection."


Male Gnome Wizard (Fire) 3 (HP 19/24 AC 13, T 13, FF 11/ F +3, R +3, W +3/ Init. +2/ Per. +2)

Oorin runs over to Karl, "Good, you don't appear to be seriously injured (assuming that Climb roll didn't result in a fall ;) ). It appeared to be a phantasm of some sort; it's mostly real if you're mind believes it's real. This was was most likely set up to deter the average local whom it could have seriously injured, possibly even killed."

Oorin looks out into the field even though he isn't tall enough to see over the wheat stalks. "That they felt a need to protect this indicates its importance. If your wound doesn't bother you too much, I suggest we investigate all the disturbances you saw."

Assuming we go into the fields, Oorin we cast Detect Magic in various directions as they move just to be safe. He'll cast it again at each disturbance area if nothing else hinders us before then.


@ Karl: The climb check is enough to get down safely - barely. You're pretty sure that if you had not been able to climb up successfully, you would have fallen when attempting to get down.

@ Michael: The bruise radiates faint evil, and the aura appears to be fading.

@ Roland: No problem, I'm fine with what you posted.

@ Oorin: You do not detect any magic.

Assuming the group continues to investigate the field, they discover the disturbances appear to be recent trails used by an individual heading into and out of the field. At the center of the field, you find a small area covered with blood splatters.

-----

Survival, Knowledge (nature), Perception checks and other similar skills are needed to figure out more information about what's going on in the field.


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4

Karl inspects the field with a discerning eye.

Survival: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Knowledge(Nature): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30

Booyakasha!


Male Human Paladin (Undead Scourge) 1

"You have definitely been tainted by evil, my friend, but it seems to be fading..." Michael looks at Karl with a worried expression. "How do you feel? Does anything feel strange or different, or are you just in pain?"


Karl inspects the bloody ground and looks over the trails.

He is sure that a small trap was laid here several days ago, and likely caught something, a rat, rabbit, squirrel, or some other small animal. Whatever was caught was then killed, but most of the blood was obviously contained so that most of it didn't hit the ground.

One of the western trails was only used to enter the field, while the northern trail appears to only exit from the field; it appears that both of these were made last night.

The other western trail was used to both enter and leave the field, and was made between two and four days ago. It is going to be nearly impossible to be more precise due to all the recent rain.


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4

Karl is somewhat taken aback by Michael's comments. Tainted by evil? Gods preserve me from that! I will admit, my neck does pain me fiercely, although it is strange to see a bruise where I expect a gash, but I don't think it said anything...

He shakes his head, as though trying to clear it and then squats down on his heels.

From what I can tell, a small trap was set here, perhaps two or three days ago. It snared a small animal, possibly rat, rabbit or squirrel, but not much blood was shed. That is most likely the source of the V on the statue, if I had to hazard a guess. As far as the trails go, one of the western ones was only used to enter the field, I don't think anyone exited that way. It looks like they left to the north. Also, I'd say they were made last night, around the time when our vandal struck the statue. The last western trail is older, perhaps as much as half a week and shows signs coming and going. I also caught a whiff of carrion when I was on the roof, before whatever that thing was attacked me. We may want to investigate the barn further.

He turns to Oorin and looks the gnome in the eye. You said it was a phantasm? What is that? Some kind of spirit from beyond the grave?

Shadow Lodge

F Human Inquisitor 4 {HP32/32; AC16/12/14; F+5 R+4 W+8; Init+7; Perc+10}

Shanoa rushes to Karl the moment she sees the commotion. After Michael has his turn, Shanoa asks to examine the bruise. "Let me see if I can do something about the pain." Taking his arm in her hands, she gently touches the injured spot and rubs in circles, both bruise and pain fading as she goes. She speaks while working. "Yes, sometimes spirits leave traces or memories, or even worse things behind. What you saw could have been such a thing. And since it left a mark I'd say you don't have to worry about being mad - whatever it was was real."

casts cure light wounds
1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 - hp regained


Male Gnome Wizard (Fire) 3 (HP 19/24 AC 13, T 13, FF 11/ F +3, R +3, W +3/ Init. +2/ Per. +2)
Karl the Bastard wrote:
You said it was a phantasm? What is that? Some kind of spirit from beyond the grave?

"No," Oorin replies. "just a type of illusion that your mind can make partly real."

"I agree about investigating the barn. I see nothing here that they would need to hide behind a warding like the one you encountered. Just in case, I'm going to try and sneak into the barn unnoticed; who knows who might be watching?"

If there's a way to sneak into the barn, Oorin will attempt it. If not, he'll just go in with everyone else.

Stealth (if possible): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4

Karl rubs his neck. Thank you Shanoa! That feels better already! Well, what say you two? He looks at Michael and Shanoa. Shall we investigate the barn?


There are three entrances to the barn on the ground level; a standard doorway on the northern side, a standard doorway on the western side, and two large doors are on the southern side of the barn (facing the field). A large door provides access to the second floor - these type of openings are most commonly used for moving hay into the loft. A small window (one foot square) lies directly above the second floor doorway.

Oorin is able to find a loose board on the barn and sneaks in effortlessly.

Inside the barn:
Beams of sunlight illuminate the inside of the barn enough to easily reveal its contents. Oorin sees hay on the floor, bales in the loft, and stalls along the northern wall. Two of these stalls are empty, and two contain mules. A stout wooden ladder leads to the loft. From his position, he can see all the ground floor entrances mentioned above.


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4

Karl pulls the greatsword off his back into a two-handed grip and does his best to stealthily approach from the western entrance.

stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14


Karl leads the group into the barn. Oorin leaps out of his hiding place, nearly scaring Michael to death, and the group commences the scouring of the barn.

Unfortunately, after several minutes, nobody can find anything out of the ordinary. There are several sets of tracks, but all lead to the houses nearby, and into the fields. They do not correspond to the trails of disturbed wheat that Karl noticed earlier.

For all intents and purposes, this is a completely normal barn.

-----

Michael, by this time, the evil taint has disappeared from Karl's neck, as well as from the cupola on the roof.


Male Gnome Wizard (Fire) 3 (HP 19/24 AC 13, T 13, FF 11/ F +3, R +3, W +3/ Init. +2/ Per. +2)

"Well, there appears to be nothing here," Oorin states the obvious sounding a bit disappointed. He turns to the others and shrugs.


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4

Yes, lets make our way back to town and find out what Roland and Arthur have gotten up to.

Karl sheathes his sword somewhat sheepishly and leads the way back to the inn.


Walking to the monument here....


Assuming everyone is going to end up meeting near the square

Arriving at the square, you note that the crowd has largely dispersed with only a few stragglers loitering about. Two deputies are walking around with shovels scooping up bloody dirt surrounding the monument and putting it in a large bucket. Another deputy is vigorously scrubbing the monument to remove the blood specks. (The "V" still remains across the plaque). The fourth deputy continues to keep an eye on people as they move around the square, obviously taking pains to keep the area clear.

The sheriff is still there, talking with a small group of people, one of whom you recognize as Vashian Hearthmount, Councilman of Ravengro, and the man who read the Professor's will last night.


Male Human Paladin (Undead Scourge) 1

Michael goes with the rest of the group back to the tavern in order to meet with everyone and explain the evil power emanating from Karl's arm. When they reach the square, Michael spots the councilman Hearthmount, and smiles, walking over to greet him with a friendly "Good morning!"

Michael realizes that his detect evil ability is still active, and, out of habit, concentrates on the councilman, just in case.

"How are you doing today, Councilman?"


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4

Karl spots Roland and Arthur and waves them over.


Male Gnome Wizard (Fire) 3 (HP 19/24 AC 13, T 13, FF 11/ F +3, R +3, W +3/ Init. +2/ Per. +2)

Oorin turns to greet Roland and "Arthur" as well but ends up letting out another tremendous yawn instead.


Male Human Alchemist 4 (HP 28/28 - AC15, T13, FF12 - F+5 R+6 W+2 - Init+2 - Perc+8) (Effects: +2 save vs Poison)

As they approach the monument, Roland notes the rest of the group returning from their hunt. He waves back to Karl, as Oorin yawns and Michael greets the councilman.

"What luck! We were just on our way to the statue so Arthur could take a closer look. I have a private room rented at the Laughing Demon Inn for the next few hours where we had intended to join back up with you shortly."

Roland leans in conspiratorially and whispers.

"Arthur and I have discussed some of our suspicions regarding the Professor's fate. Perhaps we could all discuss things further in private?"


Councilman Hearthmont turns slowly, displeasure obvious in his face. Seeing Michael addressing him, he takes a deep breath, "Ah, one of the Professor's ... associates. How do you think I am doing, young man? Some cretin has decided to deface our monument, and now we're hearing about how our Sheriff is encouraging outsiders to get involved in our business without Council approval!"

A woman beside him exclaims, "Vashian! Show some respect to our visitors!"

Vashian bows slightly, "Oh, of course, Mirta. If it wasn't for their friend the Professor, we wouldn't be having these troubles now, would we?"

He sighs and turns back to Michael, "Look, I'm sure you and your friends mean well, but we already sent for help - experienced professional help - and they should be here any day. So while I appreciate your efforts, you don't need to feel obligated to stay any longer than absolutely necessary. To be frank, we don't need your help, and we don't want it."

The woman named Mirta looks shocked, "Vashian!"

"Enough! We have other matters to discuss!" he roars at her, startling all the others and causing the deputies working nearby to turn in surprise.

Vashian waves his hand at you in a clear sign of dismissal, "Now, if you will excuse us, we have to finish our business."

Sense Motive 15/Perception 20:
The other people around obviously disagree with what Vashian is saying, but they are keeping their opinions to themselves.

Sense Motive 20/Perception 25:
As Vashian looks away, the Sheriff takes the opportunity to mouth the word "later".

-----

The Sheriff is talking to Vashian, Mirta, another man, and another woman.


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4

Karl is shocked by this public outburst. Even my grandfather had the decency to keep his shouting in his own home...

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Oh, clueless Karl...


Male Human Alchemist 4 (HP 28/28 - AC15, T13, FF12 - F+5 R+6 W+2 - Init+2 - Perc+8) (Effects: +2 save vs Poison)

Roland is also taken quite by surprise by the councilman's attitude, and shifts uncomfortably.

I can understand his trepidation in trusting strangers with village business, but there's no need for rudeness!

The only thing that makes it out of his mouth, though, is; "Er..." He clears his throat and tries to stay out of sight behind Karl and Shanoa.

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Huh, that guy looks angry or something.


Sense Motive/Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

The Slaughter Priest guards his words by remaining silent. No use pitching more tinderwood to this open fire. But his hands itches to draw his sword and slice open this corrupt specimen of a politician.


Male Gnome Wizard (Fire) 3 (HP 19/24 AC 13, T 13, FF 11/ F +3, R +3, W +3/ Init. +2/ Per. +2)

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 7

What Vashian says is so completely contrary to what everyone is obviously feeling that Oorin assumes the man must be joking and starts laughing out loud. Continuing to laugh he points at Vashian, "Ah, an excellent jest good sir. Truly you..." Oorin trails off when he sees everyones expression and realizes that this idiot is serious and tries to, lamely, cover his laughter with coughing.

"*cough* Ah, yes, well. You've sent for "experienced professional help have you? A good idea, yes, most excellent...to deal with what exactly?"

DM Haldhin wrote:

Some cretin has decided to deface our monument...

If it wasn't for their friend the Professor, we wouldn't be having these troubles now, would we?"

Pompous windbag...

Oorin cares nothing for what the councilman thinks of him but he wants to give Roland and "Arthur" a chance to examine the statue before all possible clues are washed away.

"Are you saying that we did this?" he asks as indignantly as he can muster. Oorin turns to the Sheriff, "As a worker in stone I consider this a serious accusation; what evidence has been brought forth that would implicate any of us in this? I would also like to remind the councilman the the late Professor was deceased at the time of the defacement."

Oorin will go on with his fake tirade for some time unless it's clear that neither Roland nor "Arthur" are going to investigate the statue. He'll imply things like the councilman accusing Pharasma's faithful of doing a poor job of laying the Professor to rest and wondering whether his position is elected or not, etc. etc.

When the examination of the statue is finished, or never starts, Oorin will stop mid sentence and turn to Roland. "Did you say an inn? Excellent! I'm starving!"

101 to 150 of 1,336 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / To Wear the Carrion Crown (Gameplay) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.