Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

To Wear the Carrion Crown (Inactive)

Game Master Haldhin

Running the Carrion Crown Adventure Path.


1,001 to 1,050 of 1,336 << first < prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | next > last >>
Shadow Lodge

F Human Inquisitor 4 {HP32/32; AC16/12/14; F+5 R+4 W+8; Init+7; Perc+10}

attack: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 5 + 1 = 18
damage: 1d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 1 = 7

Shanoa's eyes flash with rage as she swings the tangled mass once more at the Charlatan.


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4

Karl freezes for a moment when his axe turns into a torch after shattering the skeleton's torso. His shock is short-lived though. He lopes down the hallway, axe raised high and trailing flame like a brand, the flickering light painting his face a lurid orange. He swings at the collapsed Father Charlatan. Hoping to bury the burning axehead in the grotesque corpse's face.

Power Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Damage+Fire: 1d6 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + 7 + (4) = 13


Male Gnome Wizard (Fire) 3 (HP 19/24 AC 13, T 13, FF 11/ F +3, R +3, W +3/ Init. +2/ Per. +2)

DM Haldhin:
Oorin wonders about his best course of action. His friends seems to be doing well and he himself appears to be "winning" this strange mind battle. He's unsure about leaving this apparition behind, perhaps being a part of Father charlatan, but fears being outside his own body if the "Father" is defeated.

This all flashes through his mind in a few moments and he decides to accept the pull and return to his own body. His attempt to get the book is what triggered this so it is clearly an object of importance.


Human M Human Fighter 3 Paladin 1 {HP37/37; AC19/11/18; F+7 R+4 W+4; Init+5; Perc+3}

Round 4
HP: 12/17

"Keep at it, Shanoa, he's starting to look like he's had enough!"

Attack Longsword 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Damage 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Attack Shield Bash 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Damage 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Round Four
23 Karl
19 Shanoa
17 Oorin
17 Roland
16 Cassandra
14 Skeletons - DEAD
08 Darren
08 Father Charlatan

Karl lashes out at the reeling undead but aims too high!

Shanoa again brings the holy symbols into the fight, flaying them against Father's temple, bringing a howl of anger and pain!

Surprising everyone, Oorin begins moving around, opening his eyes and leaping up! Whatever foul sorcery held him down has been defeated!

Cassandra moves forward and casts a spell, touching Darren. 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9 hit points back

Darren executes a skewering strike with his longsword, thrusting through Father's shoulder.

Father, though broken and bleeding, looks upward and roars in a ear-shattering voice. Please roll a Fort save.

1d8 ⇒ 3 points of damage to everyone; Fort save DC 14 - fail, stunned for 1 round; success, not stunned.

Next round!

Shadow Lodge

F Human Inquisitor 4 {HP32/32; AC16/12/14; F+5 R+4 W+8; Init+7; Perc+10}

fort: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Shanoa starts to look over her shoulder to see how Oorin is when she's caught by surprise by a loud sound that stuns her momentarily.


Male Gnome Wizard (Fire) 3 (HP 19/24 AC 13, T 13, FF 11/ F +3, R +3, W +3/ Init. +2/ Per. +2)

Fort Save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21

Oorin is still adjusting to being back in his body and the roar seems muted somehow.


Human M Human Fighter 3 Paladin 1 {HP37/37; AC19/11/18; F+7 R+4 W+4; Init+5; Perc+3}

Fort Save 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Darren looks back gratefully at Cassandra as she heals him, but then Father Charlatan's ear-shattering scream knocks him back into the fight.

Round 5
HP: 16/19

With a loud roar of his own, Darren continues his onslaught.

Attack Longsword 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Damage 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Attack Shield Bash 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Damage 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Don't think those hit, but thought I'd post damage just in case.


Male Gnome Wizard (Fire) 3 (HP 19/24 AC 13, T 13, FF 11/ F +3, R +3, W +3/ Init. +2/ Per. +2)

When Oorin's turn comes around he's going to make for the book Cassandra pointed out to him.


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4

Fort Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Though his ears still ring with Father Charlatan's horrid roar, Karl takes another swing at the reeking copse after moving to flank it with Darren.

Flanking Attack: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 6 + 2 = 18
Damage+Fire+Sneak: 1d6 + 5 + 1d6 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 5 + (1) + (4) = 15


Round Five
23 Karl
19 Shanoa
17 Oorin
17 Roland
16 Cassandra
14 Skeletons - DEAD
08 Darren
08 Father Charlatan

Karl slashes deep into Father Charlatan's torso, drawing a horrible shriek from the undead monster known as Father Charlatan! He falls to the ground, tearing at the floor trying to regain his footing. His struggles become weaker and weaker, until he finally reaches toward the sky, his face a mask of fear!

His arm falls back down and his body goes limp. Father Charlatan is no more.

In Shanoa's hand, the tangled group of holy symbols suddenly writhe and twist. In her hand are twelve individual holy symbols, each polished and shining as if newly crafted on brilliant silver chains.

-----

Great job all. Father Charlatan is dead, and the holy symbols that were once infested with his evil acts have been purified by your actions.


Male Gnome Wizard (Fire) 3 (HP 19/24 AC 13, T 13, FF 11/ F +3, R +3, W +3/ Init. +2/ Per. +2)

Oorin picks up the book; wondering about it's importance.


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4

Karl wrenches the axe out of Father Charlatan's gut and kicks the corpse for good measure.

Shanoa, Oorin, are you all right? He kicks the corpse again. Is it dead?

He also looks wonderingly at the scythe that Oorin has been carrying around. Do you want a hand with that, Oorin? And what happened to you? One moment you were unconscious, the next you seem right as rain!

Shadow Lodge

F Human Inquisitor 4 {HP32/32; AC16/12/14; F+5 R+4 W+8; Init+7; Perc+10}

Shanoa sighs as she stares at the mangled corpse on the ground. "Yes, I'm fine." She picks out a holy symbol from the collection in her hand that matches the symbol on her back - a rose growing out of a bloodstained cobblestone street, placing it around her neck before stowing the rest. "He won't be corrupting any more innocents."


Oorin:
The book appears to be a diary written by Father Charlatan. It contains a number of entries that seem to be nothing more than the rambling diatribes of a raving lunatic. Still, to the right individual, this book could be worth hundreds of gold pieces. Perhaps one of Professor Lorrimor's acquaintances at the University would be interested?


Cassandra looks aoud the corridor and turns back to the group, "Everyone, I think... Aaahhhh!".

Before she can finish her sentence, a pair of elongated ghostly arms reach up out of the floor, grab Cassandra, and pull her straight down through the wooden planks as if she was an incorporeal spirit!


Male Human Alchemist 4 (HP 28/28 - AC15, T13, FF12 - F+5 R+6 W+2 - Init+2 - Perc+8) (Effects: +2 save vs Poison)
Karl wrote:
"Do you want a hand with that, Oorin? And what happened to you? One moment you were unconscious, the next you seem right as rain!"

"Indeed," Roland chimes in. "Is everything all right?"

Before Oorin can answer, Roland's attention is caught by a scream.

Cassandra wrote:
"Everyone, I think... Aaahhhh!"

Roland watches in horror. After a palpable moment of shocked silence he clears his throat.

"We just can't catch a break."

Shadow Lodge

F Human Inquisitor 4 {HP32/32; AC16/12/14; F+5 R+4 W+8; Init+7; Perc+10}

Shanoa looks around in shock at the others. Who will be next?

"They can't just keep taking us! Can't you see? We need to end this, or not a single one of us will ever be safe."


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4

Karl gathers up his javelin and checks Father Charlatan's corpse for anything of interest or value. The roof, then the basement. He nods grimly to Shanoa. Let's finish this.


Father Charlatan's corpse is rapidly decomposing, and you find nothing of value in the remains.

You head for the roof and look around for several minutes. It does not appear anything related to your tasks is to be found here.

Just to save some postings, you have cleared the upper and main levels.


Male Gnome Wizard (Fire) 3 (HP 19/24 AC 13, T 13, FF 11/ F +3, R +3, W +3/ Init. +2/ Per. +2)

Oorin was thumbing through the Father's rambling diary when Cassandra's scream cut through the air. He dropped the book and fumbled for his Xbow but she was already gone.

Rather shaken, he can't help looking at his feet, he says, "Ah, I'm fine, I think. Somehow the "Father" entered my mind (or pulled mine into his) but I appear to have been successful in our battle of wills. This diary of his is just ravings. Useful for scholarly study perhaps but no benefit to use immediately, I think."

Trying to regain his composure he hefts up the scythe, "This is a little unwieldy for me to carry around. I'm fairly certain there's more than one enchantment on it, though I don't know how useful a weapon any of you might find it."


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4

Enchanted weapons don't just fall out of the sky. We can take it with us.

It's a martial, I would wield it, but Karl is kinda stuck on this Handaxe at the moment.


Male Human Alchemist 4 (HP 28/28 - AC15, T13, FF12 - F+5 R+6 W+2 - Init+2 - Perc+8) (Effects: +2 save vs Poison)

Roland is wringing his hands as the group checks the roof.

"We must hurry downstairs and see if there's anything we can do for Miss. Cassandra," he said, voice quavering. "Though... it is certain that three of the monsters are lurking below."

The Mosswater Marauder.

The Lopper.

Splatter Man.


Human M Human Fighter 3 Paladin 1 {HP37/37; AC19/11/18; F+7 R+4 W+4; Init+5; Perc+3}

"It looks like a wicked weapon, to be sure -- I get chills just looking at it, though, thinking of the evils in its past. We'll bring it along, I suppose, but I hope we needn't wield it."

Darren is quite close to a medium load, but I could carry it around in a sack and drop it when combat hits if needed.


As the group rushes downstairs, they encounter another individual entering the prison through the main doors.

Here is the big entrance!


3 Cleric (Crusader) AC 19/ HP26/26 Fort 5, Ref 1, Will 6, Initiative 2

The doors burst open to the clang of steel on flagstone. A flowing red cape flutters from the shoulders of a large man encased in highly polished full plate. A bastard sword clutched in his hands, the knight scans room looking for foul beast. Seeing the group rushing down the stairs he roars,"Who are thou and why are you covered in the liquid of life!?!" The five flaming wings plated in gold upon his breastplate seem to glow in unison with his fury.

Shadow Lodge

F Human Inquisitor 4 {HP32/32; AC16/12/14; F+5 R+4 W+8; Init+7; Perc+10}

Shanoa stops and almost trips down the rest of the stairs, surprised to see this newcomer announce his presence. "I suppose we could ask the same of you? And what do you mean, liquid of life?"


Male Human Alchemist 4 (HP 28/28 - AC15, T13, FF12 - F+5 R+6 W+2 - Init+2 - Perc+8) (Effects: +2 save vs Poison)

Roland collides with Shanoa's back, and catches her arm to prevent the two of them falling down the stairs.

Franc wrote:
"Who are thou and why are you covered in the liquid of life!?"

"Friends!" Roland shouts back, nervously, sweat beading his brow. "In Pharazma's name we're friends!"

Oh, Professor... why did you get me tangled up in this?


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4

Shanoa, Roland, Oorin, is it another spirit? This one seems, livelier... Karl checks himself for signs of life liquid.


3 Cleric (Crusader) AC 19/ HP26/26 Fort 5, Ref 1, Will 6, Initiative 2

Lifting the visor of his helm, Franc continues to eye the assembled group with suspicion before easing his harsh demeanor. "Sir Franc DuMein. Sword of Ragathiel, Battle Chaplain of the Five Winged Lord. And who might you be and what are you doing in this dreadful place?", he finishes with a quizzical look upon his alabaster face.


Letting the group roleplay through this intro. Just let me know when you want to continue; the only way down is through the hole in the floor (in the room to the east).

Shadow Lodge

F Human Inquisitor 4 {HP32/32; AC16/12/14; F+5 R+4 W+8; Init+7; Perc+10}

knowledge(religion): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Shanoa tries to place the name of his lord and for now is drawing a blank. "Shanoa. We're here investigating the death of a citizen of this town." She pauses a moment, considering. "Watch your step in here. It's infested with evil spirits."


3 Cleric (Crusader) AC 19/ HP26/26 Fort 5, Ref 1, Will 6, Initiative 2

"That is precisely why I have come to this damned place. I seek to lay those very spirits to rest. Who is this citizen you speak of? Was he a friend of your's?"


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4

He was a great friend to all of us. His name was Petros Lorrimor. I am Karl. Who is Ragatheil? I have never heard of him before.

Shadow Lodge

F Human Inquisitor 4 {HP32/32; AC16/12/14; F+5 R+4 W+8; Init+7; Perc+10}

Shanoa shifts uncomfortably, unsure how much to share with this newcomer. Still, he didn't seem to have an evil aura, and he certainly wasn't one of the undead here or cultists. "He was. A respected man, Professor Lorrimor. He was investigating this place when he died. And as we've already lost two of our own within these walls, I can now easily see why...only a fool would come here alone." She narrows her gaze at the knight. "How did you come to know of this place?"


3 Cleric (Crusader) AC 19/ HP26/26 Fort 5, Ref 1, Will 6, Initiative 2

At the name Lorrimor, Franc's face tightens and a trembling rage shakes his body. In a hiss of a voice he says,"Was he murdered? Lorrimor was a lso a friend of mine. It wounds me deeply to hear of his fall, though it does not surprise me. And if you mean to insult me woman you will not like the results of such a slight. Fool I am not and this will be evident should we continue down that path!" Looking at Karl, he says"Ragathiel is the supreme lord of vengeance and chivalry, elf. He is one who leads the mighty to victory over the foul and despicable."

"Now it seems we are on a similar mission being that I am now oath sworn to avenge the good professor. I shall attend to your wounded and dead, though should you see fit to cross me I will lay you low. Not the most cordial of introductions, I know, but I am sure the same thoughts are meandering through your own heads."


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4

Karl chuckles darkly. You seem awfully sure of yourself for one facing four. Especially in this place. Hopefully your bravery will keep you alive. As for cordiality, plenty of time for that later, if there is a later. Either way, be welcome among us. We are all friends of the professor, and yes, we believe he was murdered by a foul cult known as the Whispering Way, who now seek to free the dark spirits of this place. We've sent some of the haunts to their eternal reward, but we still have at least three to contend with in the basement. Join us if you will, but mind your step lest some... thing drag you into an abyss.

Shadow Lodge

F Human Inquisitor 4 {HP32/32; AC16/12/14; F+5 R+4 W+8; Init+7; Perc+10}

Shanoa raises an eyebrow and almost laughs. "Chivalry, eh? I don't believe any of us are badly wounded at the moment but it would be wise to deal with Arthur's body before we proceed further. Follow us back upstairs if you wish to help." She turns with a flourish, her long black hair flying out away from her back, revealing the design on her back - a rose growing out of a bloody street.

Knowledge(Religion) DC 20:

You recognize the mark on her back as the holy symbol of the goddess Milani, a lesser deity of hope, devotion, and uprisings; she is the patron of all those who fight against oppression and unjust rule.


3 Cleric (Crusader) AC 19/ HP26/26 Fort 5, Ref 1, Will 6, Initiative 2

Knowledge R 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

A servant of Milani.....Hmmmmm. She doesn't seem to be of her clergy nor one her paladins. I will need to watch this one closely.

Returning the visor on his ornate helm to its battle position Franc's voice echos forth,"Lead me to your fallen comrade. We shall need to consecrate his remains and those you have slain lest you face them again."


You find Arthur's body without a problem, still lying where he fell. Assume you have time to do whatever you need to with regard to spells, taking his body downstairs, bundling him up to transport him back to Ravengro, etc.


3 Cleric (Crusader) AC 19/ HP26/26 Fort 5, Ref 1, Will 6, Initiative 2

"What manner of beast felled this man?", Franc ask as he looks about the room.

Shadow Lodge

F Human Inquisitor 4 {HP32/32; AC16/12/14; F+5 R+4 W+8; Init+7; Perc+10}

Shanoa looks grave. "A vengeful spirit known as The Piper. He also claimed the life of another of our friends back in town while he slept - a warrior of Iomedae."


Male Human Alchemist 4 (HP 28/28 - AC15, T13, FF12 - F+5 R+6 W+2 - Init+2 - Perc+8) (Effects: +2 save vs Poison)
Shanoa wrote:
"A vengeful spirit known as The Piper. He also claimed the life of another of our friends back in town while he slept - a warrior of Iomedae."

Roland has been hanging back as the others speak with this new traveler who's joined them. At this, though, his eyes widen.

"Lady Cassandra!" He says, rather louder than he'd intended. "She was drawn into the floor by one of the fiends below! She may yet live!"


3 Cleric (Crusader) AC 19/ HP26/26 Fort 5, Ref 1, Will 6, Initiative 2

"It seems that we are facing pit fiends. The powers of the hells have been unleashed upon the dark land and it is our duty to lay them back in their filth." Looking over the assorted dead he says,"Separate your dead from those of your enemies. I will need to remove all of their heads before I consecrate their bodies. May their souls find the warmth of the Five Winged lord's arms." After the bodies have been divided Franc pulls a small vestment from his sack ad administers the last rights to the dead. Drawing his sword he then removes the head from each of the bodies. "It is done."


Evening everyone, going to give everyone the rest of the night, then I'll post the first room in the lower level tomorrow morning.


The group can descend to the lower level from the hole in the floor of S18. It's a 50 foot drop, I'm assuming you use a rope to climb down.

As you land on the floor, you notice this cavernous chamber may have once been an underground cellblock, but it has long since collapsed. The crumbled walls are thick with mold and stained with soot, and heaps of fallen stones and charred wooden beams line the area. Water drips and seeps along the walls, collecting in a dark, murky pool in the middle of the room. To the north, the twisted remains of a wood and iron lift lie in a heap in a shallow portion of the pool. A jagged hole in the roof yawns twenty feet above this ruin. To the west, a partially blocked opening seems to open up after several feet into a dark but stable tunnel.


3 Cleric (Crusader) AC 19/ HP26/26 Fort 5, Ref 1, Will 6, Initiative 2

Once they touch down, Franc frees his blade casting a spell upon it which illuminates the area around him. Looking about the large ruin he says,"Which way?"

Cast Light


Half-elf Ranger (Guide) 4 / Rogue 2 HP: (37/37) 49/49 / Init +4; Perception +16; AC 18/13/16; F+(3) 5, R+9, W+5; CMD: 21; Conditions: Mummy Rot - Con Damage: 4, Cha Damage: 4

My thanks for the light. Let's make sure there's nothing hiding in or above that lift, or in the water before we squeeze ourselves into that tunnel.

Karl creeps forward, a javelin in one hand and his burning axe in the other to examine the lift and the hole above it.

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29


After looking around the chamber, you confirm the only exits from this room are the holes in the ceiling (leading back to the main level) and west into the partially blocked opening that leads to a dark tunnel.

Karl moves toward the ruins of the lift and finds the twisted and melted remains of what must have been the elevator between this level and the main floor. The evidence of an intense fire is all around, from the few charred wooden supports to the chain links that have been melted together.

Under and around the debris are the remains of a dozen or so humanoid figures. Burns are obvious, as are broken limbs and shattered bones. It is impossible to determine how they died, but it appears to have happened when the lift collapsed during the fire.

I'll assume you search through the remains, but nobody finds anything of interest.

I also notice I neglected to upload a map of the lower level. I'll do so when I get home from work today.

Shadow Lodge

F Human Inquisitor 4 {HP32/32; AC16/12/14; F+5 R+4 W+8; Init+7; Perc+10}

Shanoa shivers. "Bad things happened here, that's for sure. This place gives me the creeps."

1,001 to 1,050 of 1,336 << first < prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / To Wear the Carrion Crown (Gameplay) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.