Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Tianshuniverse II

Game Master wakedown

Sandflow Source - Map


1 to 50 of 306 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Legends foretell of a coming of dots, and by dots the Ancients were making veiled references to the weathered age-spotting of a certain elder Nagaji matron...


A week or so again, you were all gathered together and handed a missive penned by former Venture Captain of the Lantern Lodge, Amara Li.

The Note

But again, that was a week or so ago. For some of you, it felt like year agos, as the journey to Dtang Ma’s capital Ramparassad seemed to take as long in the company of an old Nagaji woman who incessantly demanded that her feet be rubbed each night. For others, the journey was as swift and effortless as traveling on horseback - because, well, the journey was on horseback.

**

Bells tinkle and chime as the door to Pak’s Tobacco and Spice opens.

Shelves on the walls are full of jars and pouches, and a collection of masks adorns the wall opposite to the entrance. An old Tian-Dtang man sitting behind the counter wakes up mid-snore, rubs his eyes, and exclaims in a raspy but exuberant voice.

"Yes, come in, come in! Ah, you must be the Pathfinders Ms. Amara sent! Where are my manners! I am Pak!"

Clearing his throat, he adds " Tea, anyone?"

Before anyone can answer, Pak flicks one end of his metal smoking pipe, snags a teakettle, and plants it atop a small brazier with smoldering coals.

Grand Lodge

AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 36/36 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Init +2 | Perc +6
Active Spells:
Feather Step
Remaining Spells:
1st: 2/3
Bardic Performance:
Rounds: 8/8 - Inactive [Inspire Courage] +1 Competence bonus to hit/dmg ~ +1 Morale bonus to saves vs fear/charm

Just when I thought I was out, they keep pulling me back in...

With a slight nod of his head Hayato greets this most recent taskmaster...

Greetings, Pak. While I am sure that my reputation precedes me, you will be happy to know that you are now in the presence of the great Hayato. Tea would be lovely, thank you.

Grand Lodge

AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 27/27 | F +4 R +6 W +8 | Init +2| Perc +8
Spells Remaining:
Tricks 4/4 1st 3/3
Spells Active:

A strong odor of liniment and moth balls wafts into the tobacconist's shop

A stooped Nagaji elderly walks into the room, closely following Hayato.

"Oh, Master Pak! You a good boy, offer tea! Yes! I will have some! Ayy Yaah! It long walk; my feet hurt so much! Where is that child Reiko?? REIKO!!! Why you so slow!!! Come rub Lo Ma's feet!"

The old woman pauses for a moment, apparently confused or lost in thought. Her eyes return to focus as she smiles at the shop keep.

"Ah, Master Pak! Please accept gift; enjoy with tea!"

Lo Ma stretches out her hand; in it rests a slightly crumpled package labeled, "Assorted Nagaji Sweets"

Perception 15:
Underneath in small print reads, "A melange of sugar coated roasted bugs, carefully chosen to appeal to the discriminating Nagaji"


Did anyone do Tapestry's Toil on any of these characters?

Pak smiles at Lo Ma, clearly not unnerved by the elder nagaji's loud voice - perhaps even used to similar mannerisms throughout Dtang Ma.

As he begins pouring, he smiles to the other Pathfinders present as one of the masks fixed upon the wall shudders before dislodging and floating into the room's center and speaking.

"Pathfinders!! Ohhh, I know a thing or two about Pathfinders!"

Long ago, I was a kami who lived near a temple of Yamatsumi in the Kullan Dei mountains. But centuries ago, the temple and I were magically transported into an extraplanar place called the Hao Jin Tapestry. For hundreds of years, I languished in a broken temple surrounded by tyrannical conquerors who encouraged my cruelest habits, and I turned into what I am now — an oni."

Image of Tanbaru

"It wasn’t until a group of Pathfinders found me and showed me mercy that I was able to see past my own selfishness and spite. I have been working for the Pathfinder Society ever since, both in Absalom and in Tian Xia."

As the oni finishes its monologue, it floats near Hayato, dangerously close to disrupting his hair.

Grand Lodge

AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 36/36 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Init +2 | Perc +6
Active Spells:
Feather Step
Remaining Spells:
1st: 2/3
Bardic Performance:
Rounds: 8/8 - Inactive [Inspire Courage] +1 Competence bonus to hit/dmg ~ +1 Morale bonus to saves vs fear/charm

No Tapestry's Toil for Reiko or Hayato.

Seeming less unnerved by the Oni than he is by the fact that he appears to be the only member of his party in the shop with Lo Ma...

Little Sister! Where are you!?

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Yup... The curse of my PbP rolls continues.

Raising an eyebrow at the Oni circling his head...

You will find that not all Pathfinders are spineless and filled with inclinations towards mercy. What is your name?


The oni is quick to respond to Hayato.

"Tanbaru!"

Pak appears somewhat apologetic for Tanbaru's brusque demeanor, then runs a hand across his partly shaved head and explains the opportunity at hand.

"I'll get straight to the point. I would appreciate your to traveling to the Kullan Dei mountains in southern Dtang Ma and exploring what is left of the temple of Yamatsumi near which Tanbaru once lived."

"You see, the ancient sorceress Hao Jin was able to transport only the lower, front half of the original temple into her tapestry. I know little about the broken temple other than its haunted reputation, but Tanbaru here says that the temple's secluded location high up in the mountains may well have kept its historical secrets and hidden treasures safe from vandals and looters, relics that should be valuable to the Pathfinder Society."

Pak proceeds to light his pipe with vanilla-scented tobacco while he gestures to the oni.

"I want Tanbaru to accompany you. Although his transformation into an oni made his memories somewhat frayed, he still instinctively knows the way there. You should know that when Tanbaru was a kami, the Pilgrim’s Path - the trail that leads up to the temple - was his sacred ward. His presence may have unpredictable consequences, so please keep him safe."


Roll Knowledge (geography) or Knowledge (nature) and pop all spoilers corresponding to the DCs you've beaten.

DC 15+:
Kullan Dei is a 2,500-mile long mountain range that winds its way through Nagajor and into the dragon kingdom of Xa Hoi. The northernmost stretch of the mountain range extends into southern Dtang Ma. The nearest summit is just a few hours hike from the busy streets of the sprawling capital Ramparassad.

DC 20+:
The mountain range is volcanically active. In fact, Mount Pho-Yim, which looms over Ramparassad, often exudes ominous smoke. Seismic activity is common in the mountains, sometimes causing earthquakes, landslides, and volcanic eruptions.

DC 25+:
Many species of birds and snakes are endemic to the Kullan Dei Mountains. Some develop a spiritual attachment to important sites, defending those areas as guardians or watching over them as auspicious sentinels. Dragons, ogres, and various types of kami and oni are also relatively common in the region.

Grand Lodge

AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 27/27 | F +4 R +6 W +8 | Init +2| Perc +8
Spells Remaining:
Tricks 4/4 1st 3/3
Spells Active:

"Oh, Tanburu's hair so long and silky!! Reiko!! You need take lessons from oni!! Why your hair look like rat's nest? You worship rat god??"

K:geography, nature: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 131d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

The old woman's nose wrinkles slightly as Pak lights up the scented tobacco.

"Ok, children! Very important to know about area before mission!! What you know about Kullan Dei mountains? Lo Ma knows but don't want to spoil learning opportunity for kids!!"

bluff: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

Grand Lodge

HP 30/30 (0NL), Burn 0 | AC 17 (T13, FF14) | Fort(+7) Ref(+2) Will(+3) | Init +5 | Perc +8

No Tapestry's Toil credit for Totoma or Lana."

Stumbling into the room, is a man with short spiky black hair. Aside from the grains of rice scattered across the front of his his training gi, the only thing remotely interesting about Totoma is the rush of wind that follows in his wake.

"Sorry I'm late, I was really hungry, I just had to stop at this little..."

As if looking around the room requires so much concentration that continuing to talk becomes an impossibility. Totoma's hangs open for a couple of seconds while his eyes dart around the room before ending their sweep on the floating head.

"What...er... Who are you? You don't look very strong. How do you do your training without any arms?"

As his brain catches up to the conversation that he heard from the hallway, his train of thought derails completely.

Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nature): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (5) - 2 = 31d20 - 2 ⇒ (3) - 2 = 1

"Kullan Dei mountains...? That sounds like a nice quiet place for training... OH or a tournament! Does it have those flat mountains that we can fight on? Those are the best."

Grand Lodge

AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 27/27 | F +4 R +6 W +8 | Init +2| Perc +8
Spells Remaining:
Tricks 4/4 1st 3/3
Spells Active:

Lo Ma casts a withering look at Totoma.

"Totoma-kun!! Don't give Lo Ma slack jawed look! All you do all day is train! Train on walk, train on horseback, train on break, train when rest!! You become big muscle head!! This what happens when you no study, you battle freak! Vacant look in eyes mean you know nothing about mountains!!

Hayato, you good boy, you know answers?

Where Reiko-chan go to?? She hiding? Maybe she go find husband? Or maybe she hide, like always. Forget to unhide. Ayyy Yaah!!!"

Grand Lodge

HP 30/30 (0NL), Burn 0 | AC 17 (T13, FF14) | Fort(+7) Ref(+2) Will(+3) | Init +5 | Perc +8

Totoma looks genuinely dejected for a moment as he stares down at the floor.

"Sorry Lo Ma..."

While continuing to act as though he is in trouble, he looks around the room for a distraction.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Grand Lodge

AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 36/36 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Init +2 | Perc +6
Active Spells:
Feather Step
Remaining Spells:
1st: 2/3
Bardic Performance:
Rounds: 8/8 - Inactive [Inspire Courage] +1 Competence bonus to hit/dmg ~ +1 Morale bonus to saves vs fear/charm

With a look of equal parts annoyance, frustration, and bewilderment.

Right, so let me get this straight... We are to make the journey to Kullan Dei mountains in order to explore only part of a temple. A temple that, on the word of an ONI, *may* have treasures that are of value to the society. And to top that all off, you want us to bring the Oni with us? Knowing full well that his presence will likely have some kind of negative ramifications?

Turning away from Pak and Tanbaru and mumbling one last thought.

Seems about par for the course for the Society...

When will this old woman learn that I am a warrior and not a damn scholar...

Yes, of course I know about the region Lo Ma. The Kullan Dei mountains have many cliffs and sharp rocks that someone may accidentally fall and impale themselves on...

Hayato takes a moment to envision a certain member of the party taking such a fall

We will want to be prepared to climb and potentially deal with uncomfortable weather conditions.

Bluff: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

Last and certainly least it is time to address that fool Totoma. How someone clearly lacking any form of common sense has made it to such heights as a warrior is beyond me.

Ah, Totoma, how lovely of you to join us! Did you manage to learn anything during your pit stop for food? Perhaps bring anything for the rest of us to eat?

Not waiting for Totoma to answer...

I expected as much. Hopefully you at least prove useful in combat.

As if to no one and nowhere in particular.

LITTLE SISTER! ENOUGH HIDE AND SEEK, THERE IS WORK TO BE DONE!

Braggart/Dazzling Display
Intimidate: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 30/30 (0NL), Burn 0 | AC 17 (T13, FF14) | Fort(+7) Ref(+2) Will(+3) | Init +5 | Perc +8

Totoma's demeanor changes rapidly from shame to humorously awkward as he leans back with both arms behind his head.

"Ha, funny you should mention that. I did remember to buy you some this time! ...but then I forgot it was yours on the way here."

With a flash of insight, Totoma begins to get excited.

"Don't worry Hayato, I'm sure we can find you some even better food when we get to the Yama Sushi temple!"

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 36/36 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Init +2 | Perc +6
Active Spells:
Feather Step
Remaining Spells:
1st: 2/3
Bardic Performance:
Rounds: 8/8 - Inactive [Inspire Courage] +1 Competence bonus to hit/dmg ~ +1 Morale bonus to saves vs fear/charm

HOW CAN HE BE SO STUPID!? Three deep breaths Hayato... just breathe...

After taking a moment to wipe the dumbfounded and angry look off of his face.

You realize that we're going to... You know what, no, you're right. I'm sure the food at Yama Sushi Temple will be amazing. In fact, you should save your appetite and not eat between now and then to make sure that you can fully enjoy the meal.

Bluff: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

Grand Lodge

HP 23/23 (0NL) | AC 11 (T12, FF10) | Fort(+4) Ref(+3) Will(+3) | Init +1 | Perc -1

Lana cast Heightended Awareness while searching for the store. She has about 10 minutes left

The bells tinkle and chime as the door opens once again. A redheaded woman’s head pokes in eyeing the shop.

“Greetings, is this the right place? I wrote down in my journal Sak’s Tobacco and… pice? So I’ve visited every tobacco store in the area.”

As her eyes adjust to the indoors, she spots the companions she had forgotten she was supposed to travel with for this mission. Moving into the shop she stands next to Lo Ma.

“Ah judging mama! Perfect, past me never steers me wrong. So what have I missed? Payment, treasure… power?”

She glances around the shop appraising the masks on the wall.
Appraise: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

Being unimpressed with the merhandise, her attention turns to Totoma.

”You have rice on your gi. Ooh tea, yes please.

Grand Lodge

HP 30/30 (0NL), Burn 0 | AC 17 (T13, FF14) | Fort(+7) Ref(+2) Will(+3) | Init +5 | Perc +8

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

While completely oblivious to Hayato's sarcasm, Totoma keeps up his high spirits.

"Silly Hayato, you know I always have room for food!"

In response to Lana, Totoma quickly brushes off the rice from the front of his clothes.

"Ha ha, oops. So... can we go now?"

Grand Lodge

AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 27/27 | F +4 R +6 W +8 | Init +2| Perc +8
Spells Remaining:
Tricks 4/4 1st 3/3
Spells Active:

"Ahh, Lana-san. We go to mountains where payment, treasure or power is dubious. Maybe good training for youngsters?"

The old woman shrugs.

Turing to Pak, she says in an all too loud voice, "Master Pak, training for youngsters not go well. Lo Ma ask you to educate them on dangers of mountains! Lo Ma would, but children NEVER listen to Lo Ma! Ohh, poor Lo Ma!!!"

Grand Lodge

HP 23/23 (0NL) | AC 11 (T12, FF10) | Fort(+4) Ref(+3) Will(+3) | Init +1 | Perc -1

Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

"Mountains? As in the Kullan Dei? We're not too far from the this end of the mountain rang. It is maybe a few hours from here..."

Grand Lodge

AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | HP 33/33 | F +2 R +11 W +2 | Init +8| Perc +7*
Spells Active:
None.
Resources:
inspiration (1/1), ki pool (3/3), luck pool (1/4)

Reiko is as silent as she is stealthy.

Stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27

Which is, apparently, very.

Just the same, as it seems her companions are lost without her guidance as always, her muffled voice quietly speaks up, though it is hard to determine the location from which it originates.

If we are ready to leave, then we should leave. Unless Master Pak wishes Hayato to shout his quaint shop to pieces.

Grand Lodge

HP 30/30 (0NL), Burn 0 | AC 17 (T13, FF14) | Fort(+7) Ref(+2) Will(+3) | Init +5 | Perc +8

Totoma gets excited, and directs his attention directly to Hayato.

"Hayato! How does the spooky voice know more about your fighting techniques than I do? I thought you mostly just waved your sword around and said mean things. Can you really break things by yelling at them?"

Grand Lodge

AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 36/36 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Init +2 | Perc +6
Active Spells:
Feather Step
Remaining Spells:
1st: 2/3
Bardic Performance:
Rounds: 8/8 - Inactive [Inspire Courage] +1 Competence bonus to hit/dmg ~ +1 Morale bonus to saves vs fear/charm

At least Lana seems to have a level head on her shoulders. Knowledgeable and a desire for treasure and power... She'll make it far as a Pathfinder.

Thank you for confirming what I had already told them about the Kullan Dei mountains, Lana. Your skills are a welcome addition.

Dammit Reiko, I do not need you contributing to this fools confusion. You are quite lucky that the one thing you are actually good at is hiding.

Hayato scans the shop, speaking in an attempt to address no one person in particular.

The "spooky" voice likes to think that she knows things, but all she is good for is hiding... like a coward...

Turning to face Totoma and speaking very slowly and deliberately.

As for my fighting technique, I would not expect one such as you to comprehend the art of the sword.

Continuing on, as though speaking to a child.

I realize that this may be hard for someone with your... limited intellect to understand, but words can accomplish a great many things. With the proper training one could in fact destroy objects and even people with words alone.

Turning back to Pak and Tanbaru.

Now then, shall we be off?


Tanbaru circles about a few times, seeming to give Lo Mo a wide berth.

As the oni speaks, his facial expressions are exaggerated and he speaks in a hollow voice.

"I'll help you... show the way..."

Old Pak, wisely assessing you are ready and have brought no additional inquiries for him, takes a final draw from his pipe and begins gather some provisions for you from his shop.

He provides two large backpacks full of rice and a camping cooker that only needs twigs for fuel. He explains the terrain is rough and taking pack animals into the mountains would be unwise.

He then seems to study Hayato's kikko armor for a moment.

"Be careful. If you plan to wear that, watch your step..."

One thing you recall from your journey to Ramparassad - the weather is sweltering hot. A week-long journey through bamboo forests and mountains lies ahead before you will reach whatever remains of Yamatsumi's temple.

Feel free to secure any last purchases before this journey.

Grand Lodge

AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 36/36 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Init +2 | Perc +6
Active Spells:
Feather Step
Remaining Spells:
1st: 2/3
Bardic Performance:
Rounds: 8/8 - Inactive [Inspire Courage] +1 Competence bonus to hit/dmg ~ +1 Morale bonus to saves vs fear/charm

Not appreciating the implication that he should travel anywhere without Jinfu.

Jinfu is no pack animal! He will be fine. I have taken him many places that folk such as yourself advised against, and with rare occasion have encountered no issues.

Taking a moment to consider Pak's comment about his armor, Hayato responds with a dismissive tone.

As for my armor, not only have I spent years of hard training to learn how to maneuver while armored. This is Mithril Kikko. I'm lighter on my feet in this armor than you would be in your pajamas.

Besides, if it is truly *that* hot, I always carry scrolls of Endure Elements.

Now then, do the rest of you have any provisions that you need to acquire?

Grand Lodge

AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | HP 33/33 | F +2 R +11 W +2 | Init +8| Perc +7*
Spells Active:
None.
Resources:
inspiration (1/1), ki pool (3/3), luck pool (1/4)

Of course he intends to take that useless horse with him...

Indeed, the occasion is rare that you do not encounter issues with your stubborn ass disguised as a horse. There are a couple of scrolls I wish to procure.

Reiko will be buying a Wand of Endure Elements w/ PP and a Masterwork Tool (Climbing). We'll call them special clawed ninja tabi. She's skipping the climbing kit since she already has grappling arrows and rope.

Reiko dislodges herself from her perch in the rafters, making herself visible for the first time today, and scoops up the pack of rice and supplies, casting a glance Totoma's way.

I feel as though it may be best I bear the weight of this burden. Unlike some party members, I won't be tempted to devour the entire contents before our journey's end.

This moves Reiko into medium encumbrance. Posting the penalties under spoiler so I can refer to them later.

Medium Encumbrance:
Medium
Max Dex: +3
Check Penalty: –3
Speed Reduction: 20 ft.
Max Run: x4

Grand Lodge

AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 36/36 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Init +2 | Perc +6
Active Spells:
Feather Step
Remaining Spells:
1st: 2/3
Bardic Performance:
Rounds: 8/8 - Inactive [Inspire Courage] +1 Competence bonus to hit/dmg ~ +1 Morale bonus to saves vs fear/charm

She is getting better at hiding... but still can't carry more weight than a common house cat. Protecting the food from Totoma is a rather good idea though...

Come now little sister, while I appreciate you protecting our food from Totoma, we all know that you cannot manage such a burden. I'll take care of transporting the food. That "stubborn ass" you speak so poorly of has plenty of room in his saddlebags. And worst case scenario, if the path does indeed prove too treacherous for the brave and honorable Jinfu, I will carry the burden myself.

Grand Lodge

HP 30/30 (0NL), Burn 0 | AC 17 (T13, FF14) | Fort(+7) Ref(+2) Will(+3) | Init +5 | Perc +8

Seeing Reiko and Hayato passing around large sacks of rice, Totoma feels left out.

"I know this one! It's good for your chest, biceps, and triceps."

Totoma adopts a wide stance and extends his arms, as if waiting to be passed the rice. He then realizes that he should probably start heading out.

"On second thought, you guys should probably save the exercise for when we make camp. This floating-head-thing seems eager for us to leave."

Totoma then heads out of the shop while rummaging around in his pockets for a snack.

Totoma will proceed to wander around town. Buy a couple of servings of street meat, visit a general store and ask about "mountainy stuff", and eventually come back with a Climber's Kit and some extra space rations.

Grand Lodge

AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 27/27 | F +4 R +6 W +8 | Init +2| Perc +8
Spells Remaining:
Tricks 4/4 1st 3/3
Spells Active:

"What good brother! Offering to carry things for Reiko-chan. If you stop eating, perhaps you can learn from Hayato too, Totoma-kun.

If you are looking for last minute provisions, Lo Ma heard that famous Sirrus caravan in town! Be sure to buy white packet of magic mountain powder! Sirrus say it good for keeping alert in mountains!"

Grand Lodge

HP 23/23 (0NL) | AC 11 (T12, FF10) | Fort(+4) Ref(+3) Will(+3) | Init +1 | Perc -1

Lana leaves the shop searching for weather gear. Not quite remembering what kind of gear she required and her journal only saying weather gear, she purchases both hot and cold.
Journal entry:

  • Weathr gear
  • missiles (more power)
  • soo hungry

Lana purchases hot & cold weather gear, wand of magic missiles, and more rations.

Unsure where to meet her companions she begins searching the town for Judging mama.


It takes a few hours for the highly coordinated Pathfinders to re-unite in the markets of Ramparassad, but with their first success (meeting up again) behind them, they hit the trail that winds out of the town and do through the rice fields towards the bamboo forests and distant mountains.

Once again the sweltering heat greets you and makes the hike for the first two days through the forests uncomfortable for all those who aren't riding atop Jinfu. Although, it's arguably uncomfortable for all who can understand Common, as Lo Ma makes it known that walking anywhere is her mortal enemy.

Eventually, you reach the Kullan Dei range and up in the mountains the air is pleasantly cool.

The air is thin but after several days you all slowly become acclimated to the high altitude.

(Feel free to roll a Fort DC20 check to see who struggles vs has ease acclimating ~ but eventually everyone acclimates, just some easier than others)

Tanbaru floats along throughout the entire journey, seeming to be curious and unaware of many obvious things in mortal life. You spend time answering what chopsticks are used for, why you eat rice warm instead of raw, why Hayato rides on Jinfu instead of Jinfu rides on Hayato, and countless other inquiries.

Eventually though, Tanbaru presents an intriguing dilemma for Hayato (and Totoma as he is in earshot and intrigued by the physical nature of the inquiry).

"Whaaaat is that for?" (Tanbaru nods towards Hayato's katana)

"Hooooww do you use it?"

"Caaaan you demonstrate?"

Hayato (and Totoma):

After you answer some of the basics about your weapon, Tanbaru asks about your "style" if you have any, when fighting.

For the purposes of not spending 2 days posting on this... feel free to answer the above and then add a divider "**" where you then post about demonstrating your fighting style to Tanbaru.

Finally, Tanbaru, apparently impressed by your answers, wonders if you can split a log (hardness 5, hp 15) or similar object employing your fighting style.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 36/36 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Init +2 | Perc +6
Active Spells:
Feather Step
Remaining Spells:
1st: 2/3
Bardic Performance:
Rounds: 8/8 - Inactive [Inspire Courage] +1 Competence bonus to hit/dmg ~ +1 Morale bonus to saves vs fear/charm

Fortitude: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Of course...

Seeming surprised by Tanbaru's lack of knowledge about such an ancient weapon, Hayato seems almost happy. The opportunity to share the training he has dedicated his life to is almost enough to make him smile. Almost...

Tanbaru wrote:
"Whaaaat is that for?"

This is my katana. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My katana is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Before Shizuru, I swear this creed. My katana and I are the defenders of my country and my allies. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

Tanbaru wrote:
"Hooooww do you use it?"

The katana excels at both offense and defense, but is most powerful when delivering a killing blow. Unlike a rapier or similar lighter blade the weapon is used with a slashing motion. It may be wielded with a one handed grip to allow for the use of a shield. However, if the goal is to inflict maximum harm to your foe a two handed grip may be employed.

Tanbaru wrote:
"Caaaan you demonstrate?"

With a slight bow Hayato responds to Tanbaru's final question.

It would be my pleasure

Approaching the log in question a sense of calm seems to wash over Hayato.

Attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15 forDamage: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Log successfully split since I'm ignoring hardness with Adamantine.

Cleaning his blade before returning it to it's sheath, Hayato offers another slight bow to Tanbaru before returning to Jinfu.

Forgot to post about combat "style", but didn't want to edit to have it above as it messes with rolls.

**

There are many different styles one may adopt when fighting an enemy. The most skilled warriors do not restrict themselves to a single form. I tend to forgo the added defense of a shield in order to wield my blade with two hands. This allows me to inflict greater harm upon my enemies.

Walking away from Tanbaru and drawing his weapon as he goes, Hayato begins to spar with an imaginary opponent while continuing his explanation.

My personal style is a blending of martial and psychological. Getting inside the mind of your opponent is just as crucial to winning a battle as being the superior fighter.

Performance Combat: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Intimidate: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

Imagine that this happened before the log splitting.

Grand Lodge

AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | HP 33/33 | F +2 R +11 W +2 | Init +8| Perc +7*
Spells Active:
None.
Resources:
inspiration (1/1), ki pool (3/3), luck pool (1/4)

Reiko mutters beneath her breath in Tien, watching the ostentatious display of power her brother revels in.

Kakkou tsukurena.

Assuming everyone in the group speaks Tien, it means "Don't show off."

Fortitude: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Reiko takes quite some time to adjust, limiting her contribution to conversation in part due to shortness of breath, but in larger part due to a total lack of desire to contribute. After all, ninjas aren't noisy. She will, however, attempt to move 20 ft. ahead of the group and scout, appearing only to harass Hayato verbally.

Stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15
Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Well, at least average threats won't surprise her.


Tanbaru seems more than impressed by Hayato's answers and prowess, solemnly nodding at each answer, and circling about with near-enthusiasm as the log is easily severed by a single strike.

"Impressive..."

The next several dozen miles pass quietly, with only an occasional harassment from a shrubbery seeming to toss an insult in Hayato's general direction.

As the week-long trek seems to come to an end, you arrive at a set of stone pillars with inscriptions that read "The Pilgrim’s Path" in several different languages (Common included).

The mist-shrouded outline of the broken temple is visible in the distance, some 5 miles away.

DC 18 Knowledge (geography, local, or religion):
You know that the stone pillars not only mark the beginning of the Pilgrim’s Path but also a transition from profane to sacred, which means that travelers should show proper reverence to tradition and the rules of the trail. One of the stone pillars lists these rules.

The most salient points have been translated into Common, denoted in the first spoiler below. Those who understand Dtang, Tien, or Nagaji can read the more detailed spoiler that follows, understanding the additional information in italics.

The text on the pillars...

You Do Not Speak Dtang, Tien or Nagaji:

Do not obstruct paths!
Text you cannot read as it is translated only to Dtang, Tien and Nagaji.

Leave no trace!
Text you cannot read as it is translated only to Dtang, Tien and Nagaji.

Stay on the marked trail!
Text you cannot read as it is translated only to Dtang, Tien and Nagaji.

You Do Speak Dtang, Tien or Nagaji:

Do not obstruct paths!
Don't pitch your tent or leave your equipment on the trail. Be courteous and mindful of others using the trail.

Leave no trace!
Take your trash with you. Don't make fires outside designated areas. Don't leave any other trace of your passage.

Stay on the marked trail!
Nature is sacred and fragile; do not tread on it. Don’t harm animals unless you must defend yourself.

Tanbaru circles about the pillars three times and floats, impassively observing your interactions with the text written upon each.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 30/30 (0NL), Burn 0 | AC 17 (T13, FF14) | Fort(+7) Ref(+2) Will(+3) | Init +5 | Perc +8

Since leaving Ramparassad, Totoma has been poking himself with a recently purchased Wand of Cure Light Wounds. This new wand has been the source of much frustration for Totoma, and potentially some level of amusement from the rest of the party.

Upon hearing Tanbaru, Totoma's frustration is quickly washed away and his attention becomes wholeheartedly focused on Hayato.

"You're pretty good with that, I'm still not sure about the mean words part though."

Totoma shrugs and goes back to poking himself with his new wand.

"Hey Hayato, do you know how these things work? One of the shop keepers I talked to said I could have it, he said all Pathfinders can get a free Wand of Cute Light Wounds. I'm starting to think it's a dud though, it doesn't hurt at all and the red spots don't look any different."

Totoma will offer up his Wand of Cure Light Wounds to anyone who can use it

Fortitude: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

It takes some time for Totoma to adjust to the altitude as well.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 36/36 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Init +2 | Perc +6
Active Spells:
Feather Step
Remaining Spells:
1st: 2/3
Bardic Performance:
Rounds: 8/8 - Inactive [Inspire Courage] +1 Competence bonus to hit/dmg ~ +1 Morale bonus to saves vs fear/charm

I was wondering how long he was going to poke himself with that damn wand before asking for assistance... Did he just... Cute Light Wounds... Ugh...

I am quite skilled with magical items, however your wand appears to be rather unique. Normally a Pathfinder is given a wand of Cure Light Wounds. Your wand of Cute Light Wounds must change the shape of a wound to be less grotesque rather than actually provide healing.

Bluff: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

I can hold on to the wand for you if you like. Should you become injured I will use it to make your wounds more "cute". Perhaps I can shape them like cats.

Turning his attention to the three pillars Hayato proceeds to read them without any issue.

What time of day is it? Will likely determine whether Hayato suggests to make camp or not.

Grand Lodge

HP 30/30 (0NL), Burn 0 | AC 17 (T13, FF14) | Fort(+7) Ref(+2) Will(+3) | Init +5 | Perc +8

My sense motive is +2, I auto-fail

Totoma gets visibly excited.

"That sounds amazing! Can you make one look like a dragon? I've always wanted a tattoo of a dragon. Maybe I can get a dragon shaped scar, oh that would be awesome..."

Totoma continues to carry on like this for quite some time, completely distracted from the signs.

Grand Lodge

AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 36/36 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Init +2 | Perc +6
Active Spells:
Feather Step
Remaining Spells:
1st: 2/3
Bardic Performance:
Rounds: 8/8 - Inactive [Inspire Courage] +1 Competence bonus to hit/dmg ~ +1 Morale bonus to saves vs fear/charm

He's too dense to even realize when someone is insulting his intelligence...

Applying pressure to his temples in an attempt to suppress the constant headache that Totoma causes him, Hayato takes the wand from Totoma and inserts it into his spare spring loaded wrist sheath.

Sure, Totoma. If you'd like I can inflict some superficial wounds...

At this comment Hayato seems to lose his train of thought for a moment as he allows himself to enjoy the day dream.

... And, uh, try and use your wand to shape them into a dragon. It should cause you minimal pain...

Bluff: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

If that somehow works, he's getting a damn faerie dragon scar.

Grand Lodge

AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | HP 33/33 | F +2 R +11 W +2 | Init +8| Perc +7*
Spells Active:
None.
Resources:
inspiration (1/1), ki pool (3/3), luck pool (1/4)

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

We are entering sacred ground. We should be quite mindful of our behavior here.

She seems to direct the stress in the sentence toward Hayato, particularly as the shenanigans between Hayato and Totoma continue down the road of ludicrousness.

Quite frankly, I don't care if they maim each other so long as they do not leave a mess of corpses behind...

Though I do wonder how we are to camp at all if we are to stay on the trail, yet are not permitted camp on it. These signs are rather contradictory.

Grand Lodge

AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 36/36 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Init +2 | Perc +6
Active Spells:
Feather Step
Remaining Spells:
1st: 2/3
Bardic Performance:
Rounds: 8/8 - Inactive [Inspire Courage] +1 Competence bonus to hit/dmg ~ +1 Morale bonus to saves vs fear/charm

Ah, little sister. Your ability to state the obvious never ceases to amaze me. However, your reading comprehension could use improvement! As for camping, I believe the signs simply indicate that we cannot make a fire outside of the designated area. Nor can we make camp on the trail itself. So long as we make camp in a designated area, we should be fine.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 30/30 (0NL), Burn 0 | AC 17 (T13, FF14) | Fort(+7) Ref(+2) Will(+3) | Init +5 | Perc +8

Totoma begins to pay very close attention to where his is walking. As he leans his head lower, his words come out as a harsh whisper.

"Sorry Reiko... Um Reiko...? Which part of the ground is sacred?"

Grand Lodge

AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 27/27 | F +4 R +6 W +8 | Init +2| Perc +8
Spells Remaining:
Tricks 4/4 1st 3/3
Spells Active:

fort: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
local, religion: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 111d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

"Gear I picked up very heavy!! Lo Ma tried to haggle with shop keep, but old man didn't seem to understand. Would not make scrolls cheaper!

Hayato, Lo Ma will need to store some gear on Jinfu! It too heavy, make feet hurt.

You children used to mountains yet? It very brisk! Lo Ma feel at home!!

Children, look for small critters for Lo Ma to snack on!! Don't worry, signs just for foreigners!!

Grand Lodge

AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 36/36 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Init +2 | Perc +6
Active Spells:
Feather Step
Remaining Spells:
1st: 2/3
Bardic Performance:
Rounds: 8/8 - Inactive [Inspire Courage] +1 Competence bonus to hit/dmg ~ +1 Morale bonus to saves vs fear/charm

The fortitude of that old woman never ceases to amaze me...

I am fine of course, but I've been keeping a slower pace for Jinfu's benefit

Bluff: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

Without offering to get down from Jinfu and load the items into the saddlebags himself, Hayato takes a moment to respond to Lo Ma's request.

Of course, Lo Ma. There is plenty of room in Jinfu's saddlebags.

Hm, perhaps we could get Totoma to test what happens when the rules are broken

Turning to Totoma and speaking in a hushed voice.

If you would like to earn favor with Lo Ma, you should hunt for her as she requested. It may put you back in her good graces after the incident at Pak's shop...

Grand Lodge

AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | HP 33/33 | F +2 R +11 W +2 | Init +8| Perc +7*
Spells Active:
None.
Resources:
inspiration (1/1), ki pool (3/3), luck pool (1/4)

Unless you intend to rest in designated campfire areas, there isn't a specification as to where we should camp.

I know it is pedantic, but it's best to keep Hayato preoccupied with words rather than violent tendencies...

Reiko furrows her brow at Totoma's question, which is really the only way she's able to express any sort of facial communication given her face mask.

From this point until we reach the temple, all ground is sacred. We simply must tread upon it with respect as we continue our trek.

She smiles beneath the mask. Totoma's simple nature bothers Reiko very little; to her, conversing with him is more a puzzle or challenge to be solved, especially if he leaves with understanding.

Simply... walk with great respect.

Her eyebrows on the other hand, raise up in mild alarm at Lo Ma's suggestion. Assaulting critters for snacks seems exactly the opposite of the rules set before them.

Though I suppose one could say that placating Lo Ma is a form of self defense...

Grand Lodge

HP 23/23 (0NL) | AC 11 (T12, FF10) | Fort(+4) Ref(+3) Will(+3) | Init +1 | Perc -1

Fortitude: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Religion: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28

Lana takes a very long time to adjust to the altitude. Unable to catch her breath, Lana stands in the back glaring at Hayto and Lo Ma's displays of exuberance.

Grand Lodge

HP 30/30 (0NL), Burn 0 | AC 17 (T13, FF14) | Fort(+7) Ref(+2) Will(+3) | Init +5 | Perc +8

Totoma hangs on Hayato's every word, and begins eyeing the surrounding area for food.

Perception check 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16 to search for an edible creature.

Upon hearing Reiko's words Totoma nods thoughtfully.

"I think I understand..."

Totoma continues his search, but as he does so he straightens his back and attemps to walk very rigidly and with great purpose.

If Totoma finds food...

Spoiler:
If Totoma finds anything he thinks might be suitable for Lo Ma, he doesn't hold back. From up to 60 feet away he will gather power and launch a Gusting Air Blast,1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23 for2d6 + 6 ⇒ (6, 2) + 6 = 14 bludgeoning damage. A tiny or smaller creature hit by this attack is knocked to the ground, rolls1d4 ⇒ 4 * 10 = 40 feet, and takes4d4 ⇒ (2, 3, 4, 3) = 12 non-lethal damage (1d4 per 10ft). This functions as a ~50 mile per hour gust of wind that affects all creatures in its path. This may also have the intended unintended side-effect of "breaking the rules".


Everyone speaks Nagaji or Tien, so all the rules are readable to all!

We will call this midday for the purposes of time. You see a five mile hike up the path, which should be able to be completed by evening barring anything unexpected...

The party debates the finer points of the recently discovered "rules", but Totoma immediately takes to the promise of hunting for a snack for Lo Ma, chasing a stray bird here and there, but never quite finding them in range, until...

**

After the first mile or so the narrow trail winds along the base of a steep ridge, and large, jagged rocks have fallen from the cliff face here, blocking the path. At least a score of dark birds with white throats reside here, sitting atop nests built into the cliff face.

Lo Ma licks her lips in anticipation as Totoma adopts an appropriate stance to employ his Gusting Air Blast.

DC 15 Knowledge (nature):
You identify the birds as cliff-nesting martins endemic to the Kullan Dei mountains.

They are timid creatures and likely to abandon their young if disturbed.

DC 19 Knowledge (geography, local, or religion):
You realize that the locals consider the birds an auspicious sign, and never kill them or eat their eggs.

The TLDR on this obstacle will be (a) balancing as you cross the rubble, (b) clearing it from the road, (c) climbing up the bird-ridden cliff face up over it, (d) back-tracking and looking for an alternate path you may have overlooked or (e) surprise me.

Tanbaru circles about, appearing to be mildly curious how the obstacle will be traversed, and what the outcome of Totoma's grunts and gestures may result in.

Grand Lodge

HP 23/23 (0NL) | AC 11 (T12, FF10) | Fort(+4) Ref(+3) Will(+3) | Init +1 | Perc -1

Nature: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
Religion: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26

Totoma don't even! Those are Cliff-nesting Martins only located here in the Kullan Dei mountains. The locals consider the birds an auspicious sign. Auspicious meaning brings good luck. So they don't eat them. We don't want to anger the locals do we?"

Intimidate: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Why are we in the mountains again?

Grand Lodge

HP 30/30 (0NL), Burn 0 | AC 17 (T13, FF14) | Fort(+7) Ref(+2) Will(+3) | Init +5 | Perc +8

A look of pure disappointment washes over Totoma's face. Totoma looks around for the "locals", but finds only his companions and Tanbaru. Realizing that to pursue this meal would be selfish, Totoma begrudgingly concedes.

"But, but... I wanna eat them..."

Totoma continues to mumble to himself as he slowly releases the conjured ball of air he had clenched in his fist. As he does so, the static that had formed around him dissipates.

Acrobatics 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28 to balance across the rubble.

Totoma kicks a couple of pebbles in mild frustration before attempting to navigate his way through the debris.

Additionally, Totoma will use his Basic Aerokinesis to count Lana, Lo Ma, Hayato, and Jinfu as downwind.

Grand Lodge

AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 27/27 | F +4 R +6 W +8 | Init +2| Perc +8
Spells Remaining:
Tricks 4/4 1st 3/3
Spells Active:

religion, local: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 91d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Bahh. Make no sense. Stupid locals not know delicacy of white-breasted Martins!! They probably very tasty, locals just try to keep them for themselves!

The old woman scowls at Lana and gives Totoma a meaning look and a shrug.

bluff: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

passed message:
We will feast when the eyes of the judgmental aren't upon us!

Grand Lodge

AC 17 T 12 FF 15 | HP 36/36 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Init +2 | Perc +6
Active Spells:
Feather Step
Remaining Spells:
1st: 2/3
Bardic Performance:
Rounds: 8/8 - Inactive [Inspire Courage] +1 Competence bonus to hit/dmg ~ +1 Morale bonus to saves vs fear/charm

Hypothetically, how much rubble would one need to jump over if they wanted to do that instead of balance on top? Hypothetically...

Would Feather Step make the crossing any easier?

Bah... Lana ruining all of my fun!

Hayato watches Totoma make his way across the rubble seeming disappointed when he encounters no difficulty. His expression brightens a few moments later.

Jinfu may have some difficulty crossing this rubble... If I am to encounter issues, I'll be damned if that imbecile Totoma gets to just hop, skip, and jump across unchecked.

TOTOMA! How dare you cross without offering to assist Lo Ma first. Lo Ma, do you think you can make the crossing or shall we try to clear some of the rubble? Alternatively we could look for an alternate path.

1 to 50 of 306 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tianshuniverse II Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.