Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Thirst - A Ravenloft PbP

Game Master Celestial Healer

Set in the land of Ravenloft, a band of intrepid heroes searches for a way home, but their fate may be inextricably tied to a vain, power-hungry madman. Uses the Pathfinder ruleset.


2,801 to 2,850 of 4,598 << first < prev | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | next > last >>

female Human Rogue 4

That's the kind of thing I was thinking of :)

Berating herself for being terrified of living laundry, Angalia circles and tries to grab the thing.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11 - combat maneuver

... and fails.


Male Human Magus 5 AC21, T14/16, F15/17, Hits 40/40, Init +6(+8), F+7, R+6, W+5; Perception +0, Arcane Pool 9/9

Andrzej mutters a word under his breath and the scimitar briefly lights up with greenish veins before settling back down to normality. Then he stabs at the jacket, attempting to skewer it.

Swift action, 1pt arcana pool to make scimitar +1 for 1 minute then attack 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17, damage 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

Knowledge(Religion): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

Res tries to identify what is in the room with them. He then lifts up Gorum's holy symbol, and prays aloud, "Gorum, bless us with your might, that we may be stand strong against this evil." A red light bursts forth from the symbol, filling everyone with courage against fear, and confidence in their attacks. Res casts Bless, + 1 morale bonus on attack rolls and saves against fear effects. It will last 4 minutes.


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

knowledge(religion): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Holding for action until the results of the knowledge check.


Andrzej's scimitar cuts into flailing straitjacket. It is made of sturdy canvas, but his smooth strike cuts into it and leaves a noticeable gash.

Angalia tries to grab at its sleeves and straps, but is not able to securely grasp it. Meanwhile, Res invokes the blessings of Gorum upon his comrades in arms.

Leandro:
What is animating the straitjacket, you cannot be sure, but the shifting objects in the room seem more familiar. You have heard of restless spirits that can act upon inanimate objects and can be quite dangerous; they are known as poltergeists. They cannot be seen by the unaided eye, and when they choose to show themselves, their appearance is terrifying to behold.

Tiffana, Leandro, and Eliva are up. Res, were you running Tiffana for this?

MAP

The party gets +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and saves vs fear effects due to Res's bless spell.

Tiffana
Leandro

Angalia (posted)
Eliva
Foe 1
Straitjacket
Andrzej
Res


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

"There may be a foul spirit here, friends. May the holy power of Shelyn cleanse this place!" Brandishing his holy symbol, Leandro moves to a more central location and floods the area with holy energy.

Move to J-10 and channel to damage undead (2 loh, 4/6 used)
CPE vs undead: 2d6 ⇒ (6, 3) = 9


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

Oops forgot about Tiffana. Thanks for reminding me.

Tiffana casts Detect Magic to try to identify what is controlling the straitjacket.


Will save 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Leandro feels that whatever is out there has resisted much of the channeled energy, but it did seem to have an effect.

Tiffana looks for magical auras. She can discern that the straitjacket is enhanced with Transmutation magic. It does not appear to be a spell so much as a magical energy that was left behind in this place and stirred by the many spirits of this place.

Eliva is up.

MAP


Female Half Orc Inquisitor 5 {HP:28/30}

Eliva tries to help Angalia.

Combat Maneuver (grapple) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21


Eliva leaps into the fray and grabs at the straitjacket, getting a firm grip upon its flailing bulk.

The straitjacket immediately begins to struggle against Eliva's grasp. Combat Maneuver 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22. Constrict 1d6 ⇒ 6 She finds herself unable to keep a hold of it, and the straitjacket envelops her, squeezing tightly and holding her in place.

On its turn, the straitjacket attempted a CMB roll to escape the grapple. It succeeded and, as noted in the grappling rules, rather than release, it has become the grappler. Eliva takes 6 damage and is grappled.

With a screech, a horrifying figure bursts into view. Beholding the apparition which hovers beside the examination table, it is as if you are facing the visage of death itself - a foul, rotting thing with unholy light shining from its eyes. The figure is draped in tattered rags that seem to float about it as if caught in a draught, although the air has grown quite still. It's gnarled fingers stretch out at you, marking each of you for demise. It lets out another shrill screech before vanishing from sight once again.

DC 14 Will save. This is a fear effect. If you fail, you are frightened for 1d4 ⇒ 1 rounds. Tiffana is out of range, but everyone else must save.

I am marking the poltgergeist's last known location as P on the map. It is invisible again, but at least for this round, you have an idea of its location because it showed itself.

MAP

Andrzej
Res
Tiffana
Leandro
Angalia
Eliva
(grappled)
Poltergeist (invisible)
Straitjacket (grappling Tiffana)


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

Leandro is immune to fear effects, magical or otherwise, and every party member within 10' gets a +4 to their save. I think that's only Eliva and Andrzej.


Female Half Orc Inquisitor 5 {HP:28/30}

Usually a grappler can't constrict on the first round - I don't know if there are special rules in place, but it generally takes a standard action, which was spent turning Eliva's grapple into the straitjacket's grapple

Save vs. Fear: 1d20 + 7 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 7 + 4 = 31
Grapple to regain control: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Eliva growls and forgoes her usual air of restrained civility as she bares her bestial teeth at the frightening apparition and tears the straitjacket arms off of their restrictive grip on her.


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

Res will save: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 7 + 1 = 23

Res channels positive energy against the ghostly apparition. 2d6 ⇒ (1, 2) = 3.
DC 17

Tiffana
Tiffany casts disrupt undead at the spot the ghost appeared. range touch attack: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 5 + 1 = 26. I am on my phone, I'll let you roll the miss chance. damage:1d6 ⇒ 5


female Human Rogue 4

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10 - Will save

Angalia is terrified and can't even try to hide it.


Male Human Magus 5 AC21, T14/16, F15/17, Hits 40/40, Init +6(+8), F+7, R+6, W+5; Perception +0, Arcane Pool 9/9

Andrzej Will save 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Now that Eliva has a good hold of the jacket, Andrzej slashes down across its back, trying to spring the hooks and ties, cutting at the sleeve joins.

Attack 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28, damage 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10, possible critical 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20, damage 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

"Voshusk aham diras!" he mutters a gypsy curse.


Eliva Smith wrote:

Usually a grappler can't constrict on the first round - I don't know if there are special rules in place, but it generally takes a standard action, which was spent turning Eliva's grapple into the straitjacket's grapple

I was basing that on this.


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

Leandro wastes no time, striking at where the creature flickered into existence with his glaive. "Courage, friends, and do not surrender to your fears! This thing means to make us flee this place, but the Sister needs us."

glaive attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
glaive damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Not in sight, I cannot smite! I know there's a 50/50 roll for invisibility miss even if that does hit. Let me know what to roll for it if needed. We usually do 1d100 with miss being 1-50, but I don't know how you prefer it.


Tiffana's miss chance 1d100 ⇒ 80 (80). Crit damage 1d6 ⇒ 1 (1). Total damage 6. Tiffana's spell squarely strikes the poltergeist. It shrieks as the positive energy disperses some of its essence and as Res's invocation does more of the same.

Save vs Res's channel 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16 (16).

Frightened, Angalia attempts only to flee the danger. Angalia, you must spend your turn trying to flee. I will take the liberty of directing that to keep things moving. Angalia hastens to the door you entered through and attempts to pull it open. The door is held fast and, try as she might, it does not budge. She grows increasingly panicked at her inability to leave this room. The door, which slammed shut behind all of you, is magically held.

Andrzej's scimitar further cuts away at the straitjacket, while Eliva frees herself from its grasp and takes hold of the thing once again.

Miss chance for Leandro 1d100 ⇒ 71 (71). Leandro, I roll miss chance the same way. You hit. You have a magic glaive, I see, so it can strike an incorporeal foe for half damage.

Leandro takes a mighty swing at the poltergeist with his glaive. With another screech, the spirit dissipates in a foul breeze before the items in the room finally grow still.

The straitjacket succeeds in grappling Eliva again and tries to squeeze her to death. 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 1d6 ⇒ 1 damage.

MAP

Andrzej
Res
Tiffana
Leandro
Angalia
Eliva
(grappled)
Straitjacket (grappling Eliva)


Female Half Orc Inquisitor 5 {HP:28/30}
Celestial GM wrote:
Eliva Smith wrote:

Usually a grappler can't constrict on the first round - I don't know if there are special rules in place, but it generally takes a standard action, which was spent turning Eliva's grapple into the straitjacket's grapple

I was basing that on this.

Huh. That's either a change in pathfinder I missed, or I've been doing it wrong. Curses, PCs have escaped with more health than they are entitled to! My Jade Regent players may not thank you for this. ;)

Eliva struggles to regain control of the possessed jacket.

Grapple: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

"Tear it up, already!" she growls as she fails to free herself.


Male Human Magus 5 AC21, T14/16, F15/17, Hits 40/40, Init +6(+8), F+7, R+6, W+5; Perception +0, Arcane Pool 9/9

Andrzej's eyes widen at the resilience of the jacket and he tries to think it. Then he aims the scimitar at the left sleeve and tries to break the grip by a precision strike.

Scimitar attack 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24, damage 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

And although Eliva is struggling hard, the warrior mage manages a solid hit.


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

Res moves to assist Eliva Move to L13 drawing his Greatsword as he moves. He attacks the straitjacket to try to free Eliva. Power Attack: 1d20 + 6 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (19) + 6 + 1 - 1 = 25, damage: 2d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (1, 1) + 4 + 2 = 8 trying to confirm critical attackPower Attack (crit confirm): 1d20 + 6 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (12) + 6 + 1 - 1 = 18, damage: 2d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6, 1) + 4 + 2 = 13

Tiffana readies another disrupt undead spell in case any other ghosts appear.


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

Fearing to harm Eliva with a weapon strike, Leandro makes a grab at the neck of the jacket and tries to tear it away from the struggling half-orc.

CMB: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

Leandro should still be at J10 as the glaive is a reach weapon and he did not need to move to strike the horrid phantasm.


Eliva struggles in vain to free herself from the jacket, which maintains a firm grip on her.

With careful, well placed strikes, Andrzej and Res cleave at the thing, rendering it in tatters which flutter to the floor. Its straps twitch and wiggle for a time before the last of the magic animating the garment disperses.

Out of combat.


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

Does Angalia's fear persist after the threat is gone?


It only lasted 1 round. She has recovered her wits.


female Human Rogue 4

Cursing herself for her folly, Angalia pulls herself together and darts around the back of the straitjacket.

"It's nothing but laundry. Nothing but laundry."

Move to flank with Andrzej, taking OA if necessary.
Attack straitjacket.
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14 - with flanking

Oh, for goodness sake.

Despite her best efforts, her hands seem to freeze.


The straitjacket is destroyed, but you're welcome to keep stabbing at the scraps. ;)

What do you want to explore? Do you want to look at more in this room? There is a small wooden door in the back if you just want to push through. The question remains to be answered whether you will be able to open the doors; Angalia could not when she was trying to flee.


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

Leandro gently takes hold of Angalia's shoulders from behind. "Lady Angalia, it is over. Are you well? Perhaps you should have a look around the room and see if you can find traces of the Sister's tracks? And Lady Eliva, are you injured?"


Female Half Orc Inquisitor 5 {HP:28/30}

Eliva involuntarily her ribs where the straitjacket bound her especially tightly. At Leandro's question she grimaces. "A bit. That cursed thing was strong. Maybe I need to practice up on my wrestling ability. But we should move on, I worry about the sister being dragged through this unholy place!"

Eliva look around for signs of passage of the clawed creature they've been following.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

"I just want to take a quick look around this room to see if we can find the source of the ghost."

perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Male Human Magus 5 AC21, T14/16, F15/17, Hits 40/40, Init +6(+8), F+7, R+6, W+5; Perception +0, Arcane Pool 9/9

"Would she have come this way? I mean through such evil." Andrzej smiles thinly at Angalia and Leandro as he performs the necessary succour.

"Fine bladework, Sir."


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

Leandro bows to Andrzej and Res. "And also to you, Sir Andrzej. I feared to strike Lady Eliva if I tried what you and Sir Res both did so successfully. My compliments to your weapon-masters. And who knows what evil the good Sister's kidnapper is party to. Perhaps he was able to manage the evils here so they could pass?"


Male Human Magus 5 AC21, T14/16, F15/17, Hits 40/40, Init +6(+8), F+7, R+6, W+5; Perception +0, Arcane Pool 9/9

"It was surgery. Simple cuts and thrusts. A scimitar makes a fine scalpel."


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

Res just nods to Leandro and Andrzej, "I was just answering Eliva's call. My greatsword may not be precise, but it is effective. Eliva is tough and wise. I counted on her to be able to avoid my blade."

Speaking to the group, "I know some of you are injured, but are you injured gravely? I only have a little healing energy left, and I prefer to save it for whatever else we may encounter. However, if you are need, I can use one of my spells."


Eliva sees few marks on the stone floor of this chamber, but notices a great many large scratches on the small door on the far side of the room. The wood is unfinished, so that the markings stand out plainly against the soft, rotting surface. It is as if the door has routinely been opened by animals.


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

"Well I don't see anything of interest in here. Shall we press on?" asks Res.


Male Human Magus 5 AC21, T14/16, F15/17, Hits 40/40, Init +6(+8), F+7, R+6, W+5; Perception +0, Arcane Pool 9/9

Andrzej nods as he wipes the curved blade on a piece of tattered jacket. He follows Res out.


The small door opens easily onto a narrow stair descending before you, dimly lit from below. The marble and tile floors of the hospital have given way to rough stone in what appears to be the entry way to a cellar. You hear the sound of hurried whispers below, but the stair turns so that you cannot see who is speaking. The signs of the large rodents are apparent on the steps.


Male Human Magus 5 AC21, T14/16, F15/17, Hits 40/40, Init +6(+8), F+7, R+6, W+5; Perception +0, Arcane Pool 9/9

Does it sound like the sister? Perception 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6


Because it is a whisper, it's hard to be certain (with that Perception check, at any rate), but you think it is a male and a female.


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

Leandro follows, glaive at the ready.


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

First, Res tries to discern what the voices are whispering. Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 Then, he casts silence on himself to mask the sound of the group coming down the stairs. He then continues down the stairs.

Everything within 20 feet of him emits no sound for 4 rounds


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

Clompy Leandro sticks close to Res!


Can I get a marching order on the stairs?


Male Human Magus 5 AC21, T14/16, F15/17, Hits 40/40, Init +6(+8), F+7, R+6, W+5; Perception +0, Arcane Pool 9/9

Andrzej takes the tail end charlie position, letting everyone pass him as they head down the stairs.

If he isn't in the area of silence - Stealth 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

Leandro would prefer to have Res behind him and take the lead with his reach-type glaive.


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

Res stay in the middle of the pack to spread the effect of his silence spell up and down the stairs. Also, was he able to hear anything more with 17 perception check (before he cast the silence spell. Tiffana will follow right behind him.


Res:
You can't make out a whole lot of the conversation, but you hear snippets: "...following us..." "...more patients..." "...hold them off..." The female voice seems to be giving orders to the male voice. You also hear a muffled moan from a third voice - a male.


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

Before he casts his silence spell, Res whispers to the others. "Be careful, I think they know we are coming and are preparing to take a stand against us. There is a female who seems to be in charge down there."


Male Human Magus 5 AC21, T14/16, F15/17, Hits 40/40, Init +6(+8), F+7, R+6, W+5; Perception +0, Arcane Pool 9/9

Staying behind and outside the area of magical quiet, Andrzej casts a spell on himself to increase his speed in battle. He mentally prepares to target the leader and save the sister.

Andrzej casts cats grace on himself

2,801 to 2,850 of 4,598 << first < prev | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Thirst - A Ravenloft PbP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.