Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Thirst - A Ravenloft PbP

Game Master Celestial Healer

Set in the land of Ravenloft, a band of intrepid heroes searches for a way home, but their fate may be inextricably tied to a vain, power-hungry madman. Uses the Pathfinder ruleset.


2,551 to 2,600 of 4,534 << first < prev | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | next > last >>

Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

Res is slightly concerned by the quick change between curtness and politeness that some of the sisters do. He tries to listen carefully for anything that may betray a sense of trouble beneath the surface. sense motive: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17


Res:
Sister Cecile is concerned about any display of disagreement in front of guests. Her anxiety is akin to that of a nervous hostess.

Sister Jacinthe was clearly agitated by Sister Nadine's comment. You think she dismissed the young sister's inquiry very quickly, as if to intercede before anyone else could pursue the discussion. What that might mean, you do not know.

You can tell the sisters have a habit of privacy, so you suspect that prying questions would not be well-received.

Sister Cecile smiles at Angalia. "I am sure that is true. You all have done so much over the last few days."

She continues: "After we have dined, Sister Claudette will receive you in her study." Sister Claudette nods in agreement before Sister Cecile goes on. "I must attend to my rounds, but afterward I will show you around our facility." She smiles warmly.


female Human Rogue 4

"May I help? I'm no use as a healer, but I can help make beds."

Angalia offers what practical assistance she can.


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

"Anything you need done, sisters, you have but to ask, no matter how humble." Leandro bows after adding his offer to Angalia's.


female Human Rogue 4

"I can empty chamber pots if you've got enough bed makers."


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

Leandro gives Angalia a mildly horrified glance and remains silent.


"We would be most appreciative," Sister Cecile says to your offers. "We can discuss it further later today."

The sisters begin clearing their plates. "We must see to the morning meal for the patients," Sister Cecile says.

Sister Claudette speaks up, "If you will come with me, we can continue our discussion in my study."


female Human Rogue 4

Angalia looks sidelong at Leandro and smiles slightly. "How did you think they got emptied? Where I grew up we didn't have chamber pot fairies."

She follows Sister Claudette.


Female Half Orc Inquisitor 5 {HP:28/30}

Does Eliva use her lesser restorations? How does nathaniel look?


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}
Angalia wrote:
Angalia looks sidelong at Leandro and smiles slightly. "How did you think they got emptied? Where I grew up we didn't have chamber pot fairies."

"Servants?" Leandro ventures timidly.


female Human Rogue 4
Leandro wrote:
Angalia wrote:
Angalia looks sidelong at Leandro and smiles slightly. "How did you think they got emptied? Where I grew up we didn't have chamber pot fairies."
"Servants?" Leandro ventures timidly.

Angalia laughs - the first time in many day she has relaxed enough to do so. Despite the permanent worry about Nath, the atmosphere of the infirmary is helping her.


Nathaniel looks somewhat improved, but he's not out of the woods. Earlier I posted that he made his save. He needs to make two, though. He did not take any ability damage, so no need for a restoration.

Sister Claudette leads you on through the lofty corridors and up a flight of stairs. She opens a heavy wooden door which leads into a sparsely decorated office. A few shelves on the wall contain no more than a dozen books, and a large wooden desk occupies much of the chamber. She takes a seat behind it.

"I have heard much of your travels from Sister Cecile," she says. "You have my gratitude and that of our order. You are welcome to remain here for a time. If there is anything you require that we have the ability to provide, please ask."

"Your companion Nathaniel has gained some strength. His condition is still perilous, however. With care, we are hopeful for a recovery."

"Your other companion Erfan is not faring so well. Whatever he has endured has tainted his mind. He may regain some measure of sanity with time, but nobody can be certain."


Is there anything you want to ask her?


female Human Rogue 4

Angalia looks stricken at the news about Erfan - so much so that she feels unable to speak.

Realising that her long silence is impolite at best, she forces herself back to the immediate present.

"We were happy to be able to help. The plague afflicted me for a short time and I know the pain of it. Sister Claudette we have reason to believe that this will not be the only attack. There is a man known as Gilbraith who may be an instrument in much of this. We want to find him and bring him to justice."

She carefully doesn't mention that in her book, justice may well be meted out on the spot and permanently.


Sister Claudette regards Angalia with something akin to pity. "There are a great many evils in this world. I commend your efforts, but be sure they are not in vain."

"When the land itself conspires against the champions of righteousness, vanquishing the agents of evil is akin to ridding the earth of worms. The task is never done, nor even is any progress made."

"The Sisters of Charity focus instead on serving the needs of the innocent and ministering to those in need. In that way, our deeds my shine like the light of hope for so many weary souls."

"Do what you must, but do not throw your lives needlessly at a task that may never be fulfilled. The waste of such potential would truly be a loss for all those who resist the grasp of darkness."


female Human Rogue 4

Trapped on totally cruddy laptop with very dodgy connection.

"I think we're doing the same thing really." Angalia gives Sister Claudette's words serious consideration.

"We're using different tools, but we too protect the innocent where we can and help those in need. Even so, we need to find Gilbraith if we can. He took Nath's sister. That's personal."


Female Human (Gypsy) Dreamspun Sorceress 4

The young gypsy interjects with a gleam in her eye,"Perhaps the struggle is not one of victory here, in this life, but instead a victory of the spirit, one that will reap peace in the afterlife.", she pauses only a moment before she gets up and says over her slender shoulder, "Of course I care little about grand things, I simply want Gilbraith to burn for what pain he's caused us."


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

"Did we not hear that one of the patients here is raving about the Gilbraith person?" Leandro asks the party.


Sister Claudette says nothing in response to Angalia and Tiffana, but nods with understanding.

To Leandro, she says, "Yes. Sister Cecile had approached me regarding your interesting in that patient. I will allow you to meet with him, if for no other reason than to perhaps learn something about him. We do not even know his name. He speaks rapidly of horrible things - creatures of darkness and the like - but rarely answers a direct question. Perhaps if you know of those things about which he speaks, you will be able to get through to him and find out what has brought him here."


female Human Rogue 4

"We can try, at least."

Angalia looks hopefully at Res, Eliva and Leandro and the people with most experience in dealing with this kind of thing.


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

"Thank you Sister Claudette, We will try to bring comfort to the tortured soul. May we meet with him soon?" asks Res.


Sister Claudette nods. "I will see to it."

As if on cue, there is a rap on the door. Sister Claudette calls out with an invitation to enter. It is Sister Cecile, and she has your companions Yuri and Andrei behind her.

Sister Cecile greets you all. She explains that Yuri has recovered quite well. While he was shaken by the events in the carnival, some rest has done wonders for his state. She tells you that your friend Andrei has invited Yuri to accompany him to his cousin's farm, just outside of the city. Yuri's skill with animals can be put to better use on the farm than in the carnival.

Tiffana notices that Yuri bashfully avoids eye-contact. She must have had quite an effect on him.


female Human Rogue 4

"Ah, that's good." Angalia's pleasure at seeing both Andrei and Yuri in better spirits and with a future to look forward to pleases her immeasurably.


After the exchange of pleasantries, Sister Cecile offers to take you on the promised tour, including an interview with the unnamed patient.

Before you depart, Sister Claudette says, "Thank you again, all of you, for what you have done. It will not be forgotten."


Female Human (Gypsy) Dreamspun Sorceress 4

Tif offers a curtsy to Claudette and flashes a sweet smile towards Yuri before turning to await Cecile's tour to begin.


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

Leandro rises and bows deeply to Sister Claudette. "It is I who should thank you, Sister, for the charity of your order. I was one of the victims, not one of the saviors, and Sister Cecile and her companions cared for me well until these fine people broke the damnable cures. I am forever grateful and in your service, for the cure as well as for the lessons about this land. You are truly angels."


Sister Claudette bids farewell as Sister Cecile leads you down the corridor.

Your tour begins with a walk down the corridors of the Sisters' and staff quarters. The rooms are simple and spartan, but clean. The ceilings in this part of the building are not as high as they are elsewhere. She shows you the kitchen and common room, before leading you into a narrow courtyard.

The lofty structure looms on both sides of this small courtyard, which is choked with fragrant plants. Two individuals, one clearly a patient, sit on a bench in conversation, but the garden is otherwise unoccupied. Cracked flagstones cut a winding path among the verge.

"We take a great deal of pride in the garden," Sister Cecile says. "When we arrived, it was dreadfully overgrown. Now it is a place of tranquility." That is debatable in your estimation, as the many narrow windows of the hospital seem to peer down on you from above.

As she leads you down another hallway, you notice through the window that there is another courtyard, a mirror image of the first, that is overgrown with thorny weeds and cracked masonry. She does not offer to lead you through that one.

Ahead, a large double door stands firm. "We do not use the East Wing," Sister Cecile explains. "The building is too large for us, and too many find that area... upleasant. I have not been in it myself. As I said once before, while this place is a house of healing now, it was not always so."

Pausing here if you want to interject, otherwise I will continue.


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

"What was its function before this, Sister? And why have you not cleared the other courtyard?" Leandro is rather curious about the prior purpose of this grand building.


Sister Cecile considers a moment before speaking. "It was always a facility for the mentally disturbed," she says slowly, "but the purposes of the prior management were not benevolent. The one who managed this place was a vile man who tormented his patients and subjected them to unspeakable experiments. Most of that happened beyond those doors."

"Those he kept in that ward had access to the East Courtyard. Both the wing and the courtyard are said to be haunted. I do not enter either, but I have heard things. I do not look through the windows into the courtyard at night; would that they were boarded up forever."

"I am inclined to believe the tales of hauntings and do not care to see more with these eyes. I have enough to concern me among the living."


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

Thoughtful, Res asks a question. "I don't recall if you've already mentioned this. What became of the previous manager and his pat..., errr, victims?"


Sister Cecile starts to look pale. "The patients rose up," she says. "One of them got free and stirred up the others, unlocking doors, freeing restraints. They tore the 'doctor' limb from limb." From her tone, you can tell she holds the "doctor's" self-appointed title in great disdain.

She pauses and swallows hard. "Many patients were killed in the aftermath. The carnage was terrible. No one knows what became of the one who stirred the others. A few of the patients from that time are still in our care."

You can see plainly that she does not enjoy discussing this subject.


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

"I do not like this remnant of the troubled past so close to your vulnerable patients, nor to you good Sisters," Leandro frowns, "We must certainly cleanse this place before we leave, somehow. I, at least, owe you that much." He peers into the overgrown courtyard without fear as if he expects to see the dark spirits that haunt this place there.


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

"I am sorry to bring up such a distasteful subject, Sister Cecile. I only wish to learn as much as I can. In this dark land, who knows how evil may cross paths and join forces for a time. Any information we can find, better prepares us. Let us continue," says Res.


female Human Rogue 4

"Your doctor sounds horribly familiar. We've already met an experimenter like him," says Angalia quietly.

"Sister, I doubt the spirits in this place are resting easily. Surely it would help the patients of the old regime if it were cleansed and the wing restored to its proper use?"


Leandro does not see anything in the courtyard besides sickly weeds and broken flagstones. All the same, the place easily gives one the chills.

Sister Cecile looks to Angalia with some surprise. "Truly you are a courageous sort," she marvels. "While we do not lack for space, I can well imagine that having such vile presences so close to where the patients convalesce does them no good. I do not envy the task you choose for yourself."

She leads on to the patient floors. The corridors are broad, with high, arching ceilings, lined with doors on either side. From within, you can hear a great deal of sounds: singing, laughter, wailing, screaming, whispering - it as if the entire panoply of the human experience is being audibly projected into your midst.

"Here in the middle of day, they are the most active," Sister Cecile says loudly so as to be heard. "We do what we can to keep them calm, but are reluctant to actually restrain them, so a certain amount of... exuberance... is inevitable. I am afraid it comes with the territory."

You pass Sister Jacinthe, striding in her stern way down the corridor with an orderly in tow. She nods curtly as she passes.

Near the end of the corridor, Sister Cecile stops. "Here is the patient of whom we spoke," she says. "You may speak, but I must warn you, he can be highly incoherent."


female Human Rogue 4

Angalia hangs behind her more adept companions, not sure if she really wants to listen to more deranged ramblings, but aware that this may be the only lead to Gilbraith.


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

Is the patient in a room we can enter, or is he behind a door?


Sister Cecile is preparing to open the door and let you into his room.


Female Half Orc Inquisitor 5 {HP:28/30}

Eliva looks around with interest at the plants in the courtyard, noting what she can about them and their care as she passes through. While her knowledge of nature tends more towards survival than gardening, maybe she can be of assistance here.


Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17
survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

As they walk up to the door, Eliva holds her breath, not wanting to say the wrong thing and prevent them from learning about Galbraith.


Eliva: The plants are mundane. Weeds have overtaken the garden due to years of neglect. As with all the flora of this accursed land, the plants seem to have a darker, more twisted appearance than you are accustomed to, but the differences seem to be cosmetic.

Sister Cecile opens the door and lets you in.

A man in simple hospital garb has his back to you, and is scratching into the surface of the wall with a small stone. You can see the scratches across the plaster throughout the room. The markings may be writing, but they are difficult to decipher without closer inspection. Sister Cecile gives an exasperated sigh, "This is going to need significant repair."

When Sister Cecile speaks, the man stops, as if just noticing that someone has arrived, evidently oblivious to the opening door. He turns to look at you, and his eyes widen with recognition.

He is a young man, probably less than 30 summers. His hair is unkempt and graying prematurely, and dark circles surround his wide eyes. He has a pale look to him, as of one who has been through a great ordeal.

"You must stop him," the man croaks.

Eliva, Angalia, Res, Tiffana:
While his appearance has changed much in a short time, you recognize the man as Sevren, the captain of Gilbraith's guards in Andoran. You defeated him but let him live back when you stormed Gilbraith's fortress.


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

Res stares intently at the man, and then his eyes widen as he recognizes the man. Res steps forward into the room. He takes a deep breath to suppress his anger and remember the greater mission here. "I see you were not spared the mist either. It took you with Gilbraith I presume. What has brought you here and what must we stop him from doing, friend?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


For the time being, I am keeping things moving slowly here. Tordek and Treppa are both very busy with life, Rev and Moorluck are having computer problems. I think the slower pace works for the time being. As fall progresses, we might find it is possible for things to pick up again.

At the mention of Gilbraith's name, Sevren's eyes widen with fear. "Gilbraith. Gilbraith. Not a man, a monster. They will consume you!" He moves closer, but it is not a threatening gesture - more of an entreaty.

Make a Perception check if you are close to Sevren. Also, if anyone wants to inspect the writings on the wall, you could make a Perception check for that as well.


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

Res moves closer to Sevren, sensing the desperateness in Sevren's voice. "Who's they, Gibraith, or someone or something else. We can help."

Perception on Sevren: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Res keeps his eyes locked onto the man's face to try to calm him. So focused is he, that he fails to see anything else about the man.


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

Leandro quietly edges closer to the man, hoping his very presence helps calm him.

Move to within ten feet to allow Aura of Courage to work.


Interesting application of Aura of Courage. I'll roll with it. It can alleviate his fear, although it won't make him any more lucid.

Sevren seems a bit less agitated due to your calming presences. "Gilbraith works for the dark now. He does their bidding. He made me work for him. The Mists - they came - Gilbraith carried a sword for that terrible army. Pellen laughed - he laughed to death. Gilbraith had it too, but the dark - they came to him." His eyes stray to the markings on the walls.


Male Human (Taldan); Init +0, Perception +0; Paladin 5 {35/55, LoH 4/6, CON: -2}

Leandro's eyes follow Sevren's, as the man's words mean little.

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 12


Female Half Orc Inquisitor 5 {HP:28/30}

Eliva is frustrated with the confused ramblings of the man, and looks around his room to see if his writings are as circular and nonsensical.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30


The scratchings on the wall are mostly gibberish, as if he is carving words that pop into his head without any regard for syntax. A few words come up often:

Dark. Blood. Gilbraith. Laughter. Mist. Wings. And a word or name you do not recognize: Tetslin.

"They take you in the night," Sevren continues in his ramblings. "Cannot be stopped."

Eliva:
Your sharp senses detect something else. Sevren is rather haphazardly dressed in a loose shirt and trousers. As he gesticulates wildly and moves about the room, his open collar reveals markings on the side of his neck: two small blemishes or scars, about an inch apart.


Female Half Orc Inquisitor 5 {HP:28/30}

Eliva's eyes narrow and she taps Leandro's shoulder gently as she slowly squeezes through her compatriots, up to Sevren. As if dealing with a skittish animal, Eliva slowly holds out an empty hand, stopping it's forward movement the moment Sevren reacts to its approach.

"The monsters are not here, Sevren. These walls will keep you safe. The sisters will help you. We will protect you. We are still men, not monsters. You are still a man, too, Sevren. May we help you? Will you let us help you?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16


Sevren looks torn, as if considering multiple contradictory angles. "Who? How can you help me? Against them? They can be anywhere."

2,551 to 2,600 of 4,534 << first < prev | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Thirst - A Ravenloft PbP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.