Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Thirst - A Ravenloft PbP

Game Master Celestial Healer

Set in the land of Ravenloft, a band of intrepid heroes searches for a way home, but their fate may be inextricably tied to a vain, power-hungry madman. Uses the Pathfinder ruleset.


1,701 to 1,750 of 4,541 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>

Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

"Is he still around? Did they say what he was offering to attract new recruits?" asks Res.


female Human Rogue 4

"Whatever it was, it wasn't enough. They're wary and they didn't trust him."


To be clear, they referred to Gilbraith as having been at the camp in the past, and said they did not know what had happened to him or where he went subsequently.


female Human Rogue 4

Thanks! I wasn't entirely sure so kept it vague.


So what is your plan?


female Human Rogue 4

Carnival to find Yuri, then back to sort out magic plague if we can.

Angalia runs a hand through her hair.

"I need to wash this soon," she comments absently. "This man Yuri seems to be the lead we need. Shall we go and see a show?"


"That plan sounds as good as any. Perhaps we'll find a seer at the carnival who can steer us in the right direction," Erfan muses.


Female Human (Gypsy) Dreamspun Sorceress 4

"An excellent plan" Tif says, "I think we could all use a bath. And then a night of entertainment may be just what we need, even more so if it ends with this Yuri educating us."


Neither the infirmary nor the Round Oak camp looked promising for baths, but the village of Tillich is a short distance south. You don't know much about it, but unlike the other two, it is a permanent settlement.


female Human Rogue 4

Angalia smiles.

"A bath would be lovely, but I think not catching the plague probably take priority. Let's go to the carnival."


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

Sorry for my absence folks, family stuff has taken priority over the past few days.

CH, in my last post Nathaniel meant to say “Vlad’s service”, not “Gilbraith’s service.” He gives them the money anyway, partly as a bribe for future cooperation, and partly because he truly thinks they have done a good thing by leaving the Falkovnian military and doesn’t want them to regret the choice.


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

“One of the soldiers at the camp had heard a rumour that Gilbraith had contracted the plague – or the curse as it were,” says Nathaniel. “But perhaps it was one of his followers, likely the man this sister Cecile told you of. The wanted poster we saw in Falkovnia indicated that two men had deserted with Gilbraith, but the men at the camp said there was only one other with him.

“I agree, let’s visit the carnival first, and try to talk to this Yuri fellow – did you actually meet him, or just hear of him? After we’ve learnt what we can we’ll travel on to Tillich and see if we can get rooms – and baths,” he adds the last with a smile and a nod to Tiff and Angalia.


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

Answering Nathaniel, "We have only heard of Yuri. Sister Cecile says he was quite nervous about speaking to her, so we need to be discrete when we talk to him. No one watching can suspect what we are talking about. Since he handles animals, I suggest we start there and innocently inquire about the beasts at the carnival. If everyone is ready, let's head to the carnival."


The party faces no difficulty locating the carnival. Well-worn tracks lead off of the road not far from the infirmary and make their way determinedly across an open field.

As you approach, you are greeted by the sounds of merriment and laughter ahead of you. The carnival grounds are dominated by a large colorful tent surrounded by several smaller pavilions, vendor stands, and a few buildings that appear to have been adapted from the existing derilict architecture. A low wooden fence marks off the perimeter, but its low height and poor condition indicate an intended use of containing animals and delineating the fairgrounds, rather than providing any legitimate security.

The path leads to an opening in the fence decorated with a colorful fabric canopy. A barker stands on an apple box proclaiming the magnificent sights exuberant spectators can expect to behold inside.


female Human Rogue 4

Angalia pauses to listen to the barker.


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

Are there other spectators / customers about?


There are patrons at the carnival, but not very many. They look about in wonder at the many sights of the carnival.

The carnival barker shouts out, "Behold! The Carnival of Mysteries! Witness feats of skill from jugglers and acrobats come from across the land! See animals that could tear a man in half! Test your strength against the strong man! Behold the lovely twins Zorya and Zaria, attached from birth! Two copper pieces gets you inside!" He stops to take a few coins from some peasants who proceed into the carnival.


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

Speaking in a low tone as the group assesses the carnival, Res says, "Remember many of the victims of the laughing plaque may have been afflicted at the carnival. If any one of us is cursed with this plaque, I cannot help them. The magic is more powerful than I. Eliva and I can boost everyone's resistance a little, but it is only temporary and it may not be enough. I am torn, should we split up and spread out our risk, or stick together? The drawback to the first plan, is that split up, we are easier to overcome, the problem with the second option is that we may all be affected in one large group. Does anybody else have any ideas?"


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

Something about the carnival makes Nathaniel feel uneasy. “I think it best if we stick together,” he says. “Though if this animal trainer we seek wishes a discreet meeting it might be best if only one or two of us approach him. Let’s look for him together though.”


female Human Rogue 4

"I think we have to stick together. Nath's probably right that we can't all descend on this Yuri at once, but we need to find him first."


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

"That sounds good then. Once we find Yuri, Tiffana and I can try to talk to him since we can invoke Sister Cecile's name as means of an introduction. Eliva can stay with you for continued resistance protection. My resistance boost will only last a minute, so I can try to constantly cast it on each of you. Given the jovial setting of the carnival, I don't think it will look suspicious if we are laughing, joking around and pushing each other to look at things. It will disguise the touch spell I am placing on each of you."

With that, Res gives a hearty laugh and claps some of you on the back, while nudging others to move toward the carnival. All with Gorum's holy symbol resting nonchalantly in his hand and murmuring a prayer of resistance to Gorum with each gesture.

Resistance +1 on all saving throws for one minute


Are you approaching the entrance, then?


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

Yes.

Nathaniel fishes out some coins to pay the entry fee.


female Human Rogue 4

Angalia plays along, smiling widely as she takes Nath's arm and heads to the entrance.


Female Human (Gypsy) Dreamspun Sorceress 4

Would Tif have had the time to change into her entertainers outfit before heading there?

"This is well friend Res." Tif remarks, before turning to Nathaniel and Angalia and adding, "Don't the two of you look the sweet couple." in a giggling tone.


female Human Rogue 4

"Well, we were going to keep quiet about it for a bit longer, but since you've guessed - please wish us well!"


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

Nathaniel’s blush is mainly hidden behind his suntan and beard. He suddenly finds himself very busy looking about for any sign of animals or animal trainers, rather than meeting Tiff or Angalia’s eyes - though he doesn't attempt to extract himself from Angalia's grip.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26 (a further +2 vs humans)


Female Human (Gypsy) Dreamspun Sorceress 4

Tif's face brightens as she laughs heartily her eyes catching Eliva to share the mirth of the rare moment.


Sure. If you want to have taken a moment to dress yourselves, splash some well water on your face, etc, that is fine.

Are you all fully armed and armored?


Female Human (Gypsy) Dreamspun Sorceress 4

Tif is NOT carrying her crossbow, but is otherwise armed with her daggers under her skirt.


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

Res is wearing his scale mail and his greatsword and cross bow are strapped to his back. He is walking not in a threatening way, but in a confident way like wearing armor and weapons is second nature. If confronted, about it, he will be startled and perplexed that his attire is raising a fuss.


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

Nathaniel has all his normal gear and weaponry. He figures that going armed may not be so unusual this close to the Falkovnian border.


Male Dwarf Fighter 3

*Urdrin is also armed and armored, he would feel naked without it.*


female Human Rogue 4

Angalia has her usual daggers up her sleeves and leather armour under cloak.


As you approach the carnival entrance, the barker continues with his exclamations. "For a mere two coppers, you can behold the many wonders of the Carnival of Mysteries! Come one, come all!"

When you arrive, he stops and looks at you all with an appraising look. "We don't want any trouble here. You'll have to peacebond your weapons if you want to come in." He proffers lengths of cheap rope for this purpose. "Two coppers each gets you inside."


Erfan is still dressed in the clothes that the gnome at the Vistani camp gave him awhile ago. They're probably quite unkempt by now, but he doesn't own any other clothes. He is also still carrying his longspear mostly for lack of a better place to stash it... thus a peacebond is not going to cut it (there's no scabbard).

Erfan gawks at the scene laid out before him, having never been exposed to such an event before.


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

“We’re not looking for trouble,” Nathaniel agrees, taking a rope to peacebond his weapons as best as possible as he pays his copper pieces. “These are troubled times, you can’t be too careful.”


The barker looks at you all warily. You become conscious of what an eclectic lot you are, especially in this land. He nods at Nathaniel and sticks his coins in a pouch.

A token effort to peacebond your weapons, even if it is completely ineffective, is enough to get through. It's clearly a flimsy precaution to begin with - more symbolic than anything else. I'm also assuming you're coughing up the 14 coppers for all of you to get in. You can afford it.

A consummate performer, the barker smiles again. "Be sure you don't miss the sweets. You've never had honey rolls like these." He gestures into the main entrance and promptly begins scanning the horizon for new arrivals.


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

"Do you have any performing animals?" Nathaniel asks as he passes through the gate.


female Human Rogue 4

"Honey rolls and animals? This could be a perfect day."


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

“If we were doing this back home ...”


"We have many fantastic beasts!" the barker says with excitement. "Keep to your left and you cannot miss them!"


female Human Rogue 4

"Thank you!"

Angalia bestows a dazzling smile on the barker and pulls Nath to the left.


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

"We're not looking for trouble at all" Res takes the offered rope and loosely ties his weapons. "Let's take a look at these fantastical beasts." He follows behind Angalia and Nathaniel.


Female Half Orc Inquisitor 5 {HP:28/30}

Eliva can't resist a brightening of her spirits at the happy tone and playful antics of her companions. She is kept busy keeping her friend's resistances high, and doesn't have as much time as the others to keep up with the sights...though her mouth does water at the mention of honey cakes. She wordlessly peacebonds her weapons, figuring the gauntlet will serve if an immediate threat presents itself.


Female Human (Gypsy) Dreamspun Sorceress 4

"Gratitude my friend." Tif says to the man and beginning to scan looking for the nearest vendor of sweet confections.


Once through the gate, you are able to fully observe the interior of the carnival. Colorfully painted wagons and tents are scattered about, some selling food, others taken by performers demonstrating their skill at juggling, sword-swallowing, feats of strength, and the like. The carnival is not particularly crowded with patrons, but those that are present seem to be enjoying themselves.

There are four particularly large features:

Directly ahead of you is a large central tent with painted signs in front that depict clowns and acrobats. In front of the entrance to that tent is a clown entertaining a group of children with his slapstick antics.

To your immediate right is a smaller tent with another barker in front. "Come inside and have a look," he calls out to all present. "All of the oddities from the world over brought to appease your curiosity. See the bearded lady! Watch the shrunken man do somersaults! Behold the beautiful twins Zaria and Zorya, forever conjoined! A copper piece gets you inside to behold these and other mysteries!"

Beyond it is a garishly painted farmhouse with a large addition that appears recently added. Its painted sign indicates it has been converted into a funhouse, but the entrance has been boarded and it shows no signs of occupancy.

Off to your left from another large tent you can hear the sounds of animals: whinnying horses, roaring cats, and a few sounds you are not so sure you recognize. On the path toward the animal tent a few venders are set up, selling a variety of foods. If your nostrils do not deceive you, one of them is even selling the advertised honey rolls.


female Human Rogue 4

"See? Honey rolls and animals."

Angalia heads towards the animal tent, but pauses to buy honey rolls for everyone at the stall first.


A grumbly old man attends the honey roll booth and gladly takes your payment of a copper piece each. The confections look and smell delicious.


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16 (11 without armor)}

"Thank you Angalia, it smells delicious. But just to be safe...", Res moves away from the vendor, and discretely passes his holy symbol over the roll. "Let me make sure it is safe. cast detect poison.

1,701 to 1,750 of 4,541 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Thirst - A Ravenloft PbP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.