Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Thirst - A Ravenloft PbP

Game Master Celestial Healer

Set in the land of Ravenloft, a band of intrepid heroes searches for a way home, but their fate may be inextricably tied to a vain, power-hungry madman. Uses the Pathfinder ruleset.


451 to 500 of 4,462 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

When Angalia examines the box, she finds that it is locked, but thinks she could pick the lock rather easily.

The group's searching turns up the following (apart from whatever may or may not be in that box):

Two masterwork alchemical silver daggers
18 alchemical silver arrows
Masterwork crossbow
Masterwork longbow
Masterwork rapier
+1 longsword
Two suits of +1 leather armor
+1 studded leather
+1 chain shirt
Cloak of resistance +1

A pouch containing 40 gold pieces

Erfan's detect magic also reveals the nature of two sacks carried by the bandits. They are bags of holding (type 1). A search of the contents reveals:

Wand of cure light wounds (12 charges)
Wand of magic missile (8 charges)
2 potions of Cure Light Wounds
Scroll of lesser restoration
Scroll of remove fear
Scroll of hold portal
Bracers of armor +1


female Human Rogue 4

"This is an impressive haul. They'd had good pickings, whoever they were."

Angalia comments absently, her eyes on the box as she probes the lock gently.

Disable Device?


Angalia wrote:

"This is an impressive haul. They'd had good pickings, whoever they were."

Angalia comments absently, her eyes on the box as she probes the lock gently.

Disable Device?

Yes.


Female Half Orc Inquisitor 5 {HP:28/30}

Eliva is interested in the following:

18 alchemical silver arrows
Masterwork longbow
+1 studded leather or +1 chain shirt
Cloak of resistance +1

Eliva is able to use:
Wand of cure light wounds (12 charges)
Scroll of lesser restoration
Scroll of remove fear
Scroll of hold portal

but those are usually better with the cleric.


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

“I agree Eliva,” Nathaniel replies to the Inquisitor. “As for people, well, that looks like a village down there. Let’s hope the bandits and the monsters haven’t scared everyone away.”

Nathaniel begins digging a shallow grave in the sandy soil, but looks up from his work and wanders over to the others as the loot is examined and discussed. “Looks like these fellows were good at what they did,” Nathaniel mutters darkly, turning his head and spitting on the ground. “Excuse me. Anyway, as the Inquisitor says, no point in letting all of this go to waste. Magic you say Erfan?”

Nathaniel wants all the same stuff Eliva wants. ;-)
In all seriousness Eliva is probably a better archer than Nate, and less quick to move to melee, so it probably makes more sense for her to take the bow and arrow.
If Belanos wants the longsword he should probably have first dibs at it, given it appears to be his weapon of choice. If he doesn’t want it, Nathaniel will be happy to use it.
Happy to take the chain shirt, Nate can swap his masterwork one if anyone wants.
Not that fussed about the cloak.
Can’t use the scrolls.


female Human Rogue 4

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19 - disable device. If I can take 10 or 20, that's 21 or 31.

Angalia concentrates on the box, before casting an eye over the plunder.

"The daggers looks useful and the armour is better than mine."

She'd love the daggers and one of the suits of armour. The cloak sounds as if it should go to someone squishy.


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

I guess we should wait and see what’s in the box before we make a solid decision on dividing treasure. I tend to be in favour of the ‘whoever gains the most benefit gets the item’ style of treasure division, with conflicts resolved between characters (or players) and characters who missed out on much in the last haul getting their first choice in the next.


Female Human (Gypsy) Dreamspun Sorceress 4
Celestial GM wrote:


Masterwork crossbow
Cloak of resistance +1
bag of holding (type 1).
Wand of magic missile (8 charges)
Scroll of hold portal
Bracers of armor +1

Tiff would be interested in any of the above items, I know that her choices may overlap with Erfans needs though, and I'm sure we can split the "sorcerer" items fairly.


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16}

Res turns to Eliva, "You know how to use a wand of cure light wounds, don't you? Between channeling and my spells, I have many different ways to heal people. Perhaps you should take the wand that way if something happens to me, there is still someone able to keep healing. I will take the scrolls of remove fear and lesser restoration." Speaking to the whole group, Res continues, "I suggest Angalia and/or Belanos should take the potions just in case they find themselves in a spot where I can not get to them to provide healing."


Angalia wrote:

1d20+11 - disable device. If I can take 10 or 20, that's 21 or 31.

Angalia concentrates on the box, before casting an eye over the plunder.

"The daggers looks useful and the armour is better than mine."

She'd love the daggers and one of the suits of armour. The cloak sounds as if it should go to someone squishy.

I suppose you could probably take 20, since you're not in a rush.

While the bandits carried useful gear on their persons or in the sacks, the box is for "pretty things."

200 more gold coins
A citrine worth 50 gp
A chunk of lapis lazuli worth 10 gp
A gold necklace set with small rose quartz stones, worth 300 gp
The box itself is worth 75 gp


female Human Rogue 4

"Didn't they do well?" She looks around at the mangled remains and amends that statement. "Sort of, anyway."


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

Nathaniel looks over towards the village. “We should finish burying these ones, divvy up this loot, then get moving again,” he suggests.

See the discussion thread for some comments on loot division.


male human fighter 1

While I'd be happy to get the +1 longsword, it looks like the other stuff could be better used by others. In regards to the potion, I have a bad habit of forgetting to use them and would prefer if someone else kept them. I wouldn't mind a bag, though.

While the others gather the valuable items, Belanos quietly looks over the bandits goods for food, blankets, bedrolls, packs, and ordinary, day-to-day necessities. His journey through the mist left his gear back at the Baron's. And last night demonstrated the need for basic camping gear.

"I don't know much about these ghouls. Should we burn the bodies of the dead bandits with the dead ghouls to be safe?"


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16}

"Very good suggestion Belanos. With ghouls, you can never be sure if their victims will re-spawn. We must be wary though, the smoke from the burning corpses could bring more trouble upon us. I agree with Nathaniel, it is time to move on."


Erfan will take the wand of magic missile since he lacks offensive spells of any kind. Tiff can have the bracers and anything else 'sorcerer-y.'

"Yes... impressive spoils indeed. Much magic here... almost fortuitous..." the gnome inspects some of the items before smiling at one of the wands. "We must be off soon. Others may come... or perhaps the rightful owners of these items, assuming they still live."


Belanos Grandi wrote:

While I'd be happy to get the +1 longsword, it looks like the other stuff could be better used by others. In regards to the potion, I have a bad habit of forgetting to use them and would prefer if someone else kept them. I wouldn't mind a bag, though.

While the others gather the valuable items, Belanos quietly looks over the bandits goods for food, blankets, bedrolls, packs, and ordinary, day-to-day necessities. His journey through the mist left his gear back at the Baron's. And last night demonstrated the need for basic camping gear.

"I don't know much about these ghouls. Should we burn the bodies of the dead bandits with the dead ghouls to be safe?"

They have some mundane gear. Take a pack, a bedroll, 1 day worth of rations, and a rope if you need that sort of thing.


male human fighter 1

sorts out bedroll, pack, rope, and food.

"Can one of you spell casters wuji-wuji this stuff clean? I don't want a dead mans bugs."

he's talking about prestidigation to clean the stuff


female Human Rogue 4

"Better move on, I think."


So what's the plan?


Female Human (Gypsy) Dreamspun Sorceress 4
Belanos Grandi wrote:

sorts out bedroll, pack, rope, and food.

"Can one of you spell casters wuji-wuji this stuff clean? I don't want a dead mans bugs."

he's talking about prestidigation to clean the stuff

To the warrior Tiff throws her hands up in the air as a flash erupts from the salvaged gear, when the smoke clears it is free of dirt and grime.

Without waiting for a response she turns towards the strange little gnome, "Are you sure there is not more you would like? I mean not to take from you what you would desire."


Female Human (Gypsy) Dreamspun Sorceress 4
Celestial GM wrote:
So what's the plan?

Pull out, return to the ship, and NUKE it from orbit..... it's the only way to be sure. ;-)


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16}

Res looks around and notices that the dusk will be giving way to night soon.

"To the south there seems to be a small village. Let's head that direction. Between spiders, ghouls and bandits it's definitely not safe out here. And with dusk falling, we best hurry. Let's burn the bodies and be gone."


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

Nathaniel drags the bodies into the pit he has dug, then gathers some driftwood (directing the others to do the same), and gets a fire going that he hopes will produce a lot of heat but not too much smoke. Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Then he’s ready to head to the village.


male human fighter 1
Tiffa wrote:
Tiff throws her hands up in the air as a flash erupts from the salvaged gear, when the smoke clears it is free of dirt and grime.

"Thanks"


After solemnly burning the bodies, the party makes its way down the hill, leaving behind the scene of carnage it had witnessed.

The coastal village is very small, with dwellings for no more than a hundred residents by your estimation. Still, any settled place is a welcome sight after wandering through the mists for so long and witnessing the dangers of this strange new wilderness.

The stunted structures of the village seem to huddle together against the darkness. They are of poor construction, with rotting timbers and sagging roofs. Doors and windows are closed tightly and securely, but slivers of light can be seen from lanterns and hearthfires within. The streets are largely empty.

What, if any, preparations are you making before entering the village? What do you plan to do there?


Female Half Orc Inquisitor 5 {HP:28/30}

Eliva gravely handed Kani's bow over to Nathaniel, and limbered up the well made longbow one of the hapless bandits once carried. She picked out 5 silver arrows from the pile as well. "If we end up needing these, we'll want them spread around, I'm sure. Worse comes to worse, one of these can be used to stab someone that gets too close."

After the bodies were seen to Eliva shouldered her gear and looked at the small village ahead. "We should do our best to introduce ourselves. I still have no idea where we could be. I have a fair chance of talking to people, if they don't already have a problem with half orcs, but..." She shrugged and sighed. Most did have a problem, and she often didn't get a chance to even speak before it was obvious the locals didn't like her kind.


female Human Rogue 4

"Between you and Erfan, we're going to cause comment whatever we do," points out Angalia quietly. "It's a shame, but people are frightened more easily than they'll admit."

She puts on the suit of new armour, gradually adjusting herself to the feel of it.

Which bumps her AC to 17 or 18?


Female Half Orc Inquisitor 5 {HP:28/30}
Angalia wrote:

"Between you and Erfan, we're going to cause comment whatever we do," points out Angalia quietly. "It's a shame, but people are frightened more easily than they'll admit."

She puts on the suit of new armour, gradually adjusting herself to the feel of it.

Which bumps her AC to 17 or 18?

Your dex gives you a 14 AC, and the armor bonus for +1 studded leather is 3 (studded leather) +1 (magic). With no other bonuses, you would have an 18 AC. :) (as a note, I opt to over-explain stuff on a forum because back and forth questions take up a lot of space and take a long time otherwise. I'm sure you know a lot of what I post already - but I feel passing on too much information at the outset makes forum post communication easier)


female Human Rogue 4

Thank you :) I know what you mean about over-explaining - I do it myself. It's what I thought, but I'm glad to have the confirmation.


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

Nathaniel will ease himself into his new armoured shirt before setting off. He recommends that the party approach the village openly and with weapons sheathed so that they do not resemble bandits or seem like they are up to no good.

As he approaches, Nathaniel will note the condition of the local countryside and farmland (if any – Survival 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24) and keep an eye out for further signs of life or anything suspicious from the village, particularly looking for something that resembles an inn or tavern (Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24).

What time of evening / night is it?


By the time you reach the village, the sun has set. It is evening.

There are a few active fields around the village, but they are poorly kept, and appear to offer little yield.

Viewing from outside the village, none of the buildings seem conspicuous as a tavern or inn. If there is such a venue, it must be very small.

Do you head into the village?


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

“Much as I’d like to find out where we are, and sleep with a roof over my head tonight, I wonder if we’ll meet a warm welcome if we show up unannounced at night? These people may well be plagued by bandits and the ghoulish creatures we fought, and suspicious of strangers.” Nathaniel looks around at the others, trying not to let his gaze linger over-long on Eliva or Erfan. “What do you all think? Shall we go in, or should we wait for the light of day?”


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16}

Res takes the masterwork crossbow and the wands of lesser restoration and remove fear. He then walks along with the group toward the village. When they reach the outskirts he hears Nathaniel's question and answers, "Yes, perhaps one more night outdoors is wise. I'm sure the members of this village are quite skittish given the nasty things we have encountered so far. Morning is the best time to arrive. Let's set up camp here."


female Human Rogue 4

Camp and try and visit in the morning. Setting watches.

"If these people have been plagued by bandits and ghouls, they'll have every right to be suspicious. We should wait til morning."


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16}
Res Thannq wrote:
... wands of lesser restoration and remove fear...

Oops! I meant that Res picked up the two scrolls...

Res begins preparing his bedroll. "I'll take the last watch. It will allow me time to meditate."

If necessary during my watch, here is a perception roll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15


husband half Italian Expert 15 (carpenter 5/ gamer 5/ reader 5)

swings new sword a few times

"Nice. Good balance, comfortable heft. I'm going to enjoy using this."

frowns, realizing what he said

"I mean, using this to protect the rights and honor of the people."

Did I end up with a missle weapon from somewhere? And is it OK for me to take a bag of holding? A pack would ruin the hang of my Uniform coat.


When scouting a place to set up camp, the party finds a few potentially promising locations.

Less than half a mile from the village, they spot a ruined cottage with a partially intact roof that may provide some shelter. It's overgrown with weeds, and shows no sign of recent use.

Up the hill a short way is a copse of trees that should provide decent cover to those within.

Up the coast a short distance from the village, against the rising cliff face, there is a large ledge, partially sheltered by the cliff itself. It looks somewhat difficult to reach, which could be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on your point of view.

If you're looking for wide open grassland, there's plenty of that too, of course.

Where do you plan to set up camp?

Taldor

Female Human Level 4 Bard
Celestial GM wrote:


Where do you plan to set up camp?

Eliva looks at the high ledge with favor. "We can see attacks coming from most directions, and we have people with the ability to shoot dangers that approach. Of course, falling would be..." she winces, "painful."


female Human Rogue 4

"Only if we're the ones doing it. Let's plan not to."


Female Human (Gypsy) Dreamspun Sorceress 4

Before setting off to find a campsite Tiff tosses one bag to the newcomer, and the other to the trapsmith before donning the bracers. "I'd rather sleep in an inn, or a house.... even if we had to kick the door open ourselves. But if you all insist.....", it is obvious the girls mood has become as dark as our new surroundings.


Male Human Cleric/5 {HP:42/42, AC 16}

"It's getting dark fast, I'm not the best climber in the daylight much less at night, so that ledge does not appeal to me. I saw the remains of a cottage less than half a mile away from here. Perhaps a partial roof is better than no roof for Tiff."


male human fighter 1

stores gear in Bag

"Cottage sounds fine to me. Maybe we can find some water to bathe with."

indifferent to location- just glad to have a bedroll


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

“I think Res is right,” says Nathaniel, squinting through the deepening twilight at the ledge. “Little point in finding a safe place to camp if some us risk serious injury getting to it. And come to think of it, those ghouls we fought seemed fairly agile – it wouldn’t surprise me if they could climb up there better than we could, if there are more about. Let’s at least investigate the cottage.”


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3
niel wrote:


Did I end up with a missle weapon from somewhere? And is it OK for me to take a bag of holding? A pack would ruin the hang of my Uniform coat.

Ok by me. And yes, Nathaniel will offer Belanos use of his longbow, now that he has 'Kani's shortbow.


Erfan seems content with his acquisition of the wand, tucking it nonchalantly into the tattered leather cord that serves as his only article of clothing, adjacent to his belt pouch. He toddles around, following the group afterwards, remaining largely silent and yielding no protest to the group's direction.


Small delay while I do a little behind-the-scenes work...


Sorry about that…

The party scouts the area around the tiny village for a suitable shelter for the night. They spy a ruined cottage, largely overgrown and showing no signs of recent use. While one of the walls has partially collapsed, the roof is mostly intact and promises to provide some degree of protection from the elements, as well as some shelter from the prying eyes of whatever may be prowling these hills.

Built on the side of a low hill, the cottage has only one discernable entrance. What once may have been a walkway approaching the door is choked with weeds and overgrowth. Sturdy stone walls support a sagging wooden roof, although part of the front wall has fallen away, leaving a hole on the same face of the cottage as the door.

The encroaching weeds have invaded the interior of the cottage, forcing their way between rotting floorboards in places, but the floor is generally firm and stable. The one-room cottage was clearly abandoned decades ago, although a few household items lie abandoned in the tiny space, including a heavily worn wooden table next to the long disused hearth.

Could I get perception checks from everyone?


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8


Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Erfan nearly trips on one of the vines outside.


Female Half Orc Inquisitor 5 {HP:28/30}

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

Eliva looks around carefully, unwilling to trust anything so convenient in such an obviously dangerous place.

451 to 500 of 4,462 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Thirst - A Ravenloft PbP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.