Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

The Wild Lands Pacification War - A Campaign by Faol Mhor

Game Master Faol Mhor

The Chelish Armada is set to loose hordes of soldiers into the lands of Varisia. Five young teenagers are caught up in the mayhem of war and thrust into an adventure together.


1 to 50 of 177 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

I was there when the great armada left the harbour of Egorian on the 1st of Pharast, a Fireday.

It left under good omens, so said Arastus the Infernal Wizard of House Thrune. It left with much fanfare and even Her Infernal Majestrix, Queen Abrogail II of the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune was there to send the fleet on its way.

She looked regal and stately despite her great age. But the years had been kind to her infernal majesty, or perhaps it was some darker power that sustained her even yet.

During the ceremony Her infernal Majesty handed a great sceptre of magnificent beauty, bedecked with jewels and gold to her great granddaughter and 23rd in line for the crown, Lady Dessra Thrune, the Queens voice in the “new” Varisia.

To Generals Kastion Starkagarr II and Marduke Vadrian-Thrune she bestowed Helms with great feathered plumes in red and black with the emblem of Cheliax on the brow, emblazoned in red that glowed when worn, and to Bladmaster Sigmund Krase of the Order of the Scourge she gave him a large scroll containing the Law of Cheliax sealed with her infernal Majestrix’s seal.

The music to follow was thunderous and the cheering of the people was deafening but it was all but muted by the sound of the Cannons firing a salute as the fleet set sail.

Sailing South down the Adivian River the fleet passed through the mouth of the river into the open ocean sometime on the evening of the 3rd day of Pharast, it was an a Moonday.

Until this point all attention had been placed on the greatness and the splendour of the army, the huge power of the vessels and the mighty men and women, generals and lords and ladies sworn to pacify the wilds of Varisia in the name of the empire.

But few could imagine that as the festivities raged on deck of the war galley Braxus, celebrating this great endeavour, that down below in the quiet hold of the massive ship several young people, nobodies to be sure, would meet for the first time and this meeting would change the course of Varisian and Chelaxian history forever.


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

The second deck of the Braxus was strangely quiet. Most of the crew and soldiers sleep down in the lower decks, while anyone of importance, and their servants have berths in the fore or aft cabins up top.

But tonight most people are on deck for the celebration and the feast. The generals, the leaders of the Hellknights, the commanders of great importance, the great wizard Arastus, they are all there feasting and celebrating.

A number of porters sleep among the cargo. The squires frequent the hold to groom and feed the horse which are stabled here. The kitchen and galley is on this deck as well.

Tonight Aspirant Lucanus and Squire Nemius are the last of the squires to be finishing their chores and cleaning up after the horses they have charge over.

Off to one corner a young man from Isger hired as a porter has found a warm place to lay out his bedroll in the cargo hold which is between the galley and the stables.

In the galley, now quiet, the cooks all up on deck serving the elite, a young halfling Maid, sent to boil and fetch hot water for her ladies washing and hot water bottle has just lit a small fire.

A stout dwarf, a healer by trade has just finished seeing to several of the slaves on the lower deck who have been forced to work hard rowing the massive galley through the river over the last few days. He is headed back up to the second deck to find a spot to sleep and will pass by the Galley on his way to bed down in the cargo hold near the porter.

Most of the lamps have been dimmed and the din of the party is faintly audible here.

The Braxus is a four deck war galley with mast and oars, the lowest deck has slaves and the oars to row the ship as well as some storage. the third deck has a large bank of cannons, the armoury and this is where most of the soldiers sleep and have their gear, Squires sleep here as well.

The second deck which your characters are on now holds the galley up front and two large cargo holds in the middle, the first has food and supplies where the porters and other servants sleep, the second cargo hold has make shift stables to keep the large number of horses in it. This deck used to have another row of cannons on it but they where taken out to make room for the horses and the supplies. Finally the top deck is the open deck with a fore castle and a stern castle, both of which have multiple cabins where the elite stay with some select servants. Kayla sleeps in one of those tiny cabins near the lady Thrune with the other maids.

I'm going to keep this a little less structured than S&S so you can choose what your character tries to do and roll what you feel is appropriate for tasks you choose to do. I'll jump in and assign rolls if I feel there needs to be one.

You are all here, have at it...


Male Human-Chelaxian Fighter(Two Weapon Fighter), HP11/12, NL-HP 0/12, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat-Footed 17, F +3, R +3, W +0, Init +3, Perc +1

Lucanus continues to brush down the horse he is working on, his sword swings in his way as he moves and he sighs. He puts down the brush and tries to tighten the belt once again. I may have to try to make another knot upon the belt...

He spots a squire of one of the knights across the hold, cleaning a horse just like he. He picks up brush once again and continues his chores, ignoring the sounds of the festival above.

They celebrate like we have one, and yet we haven't even started...


M Dwarf Cleric of Pharasma 1 / HP 11/11, NLD 0, AC 15, Touch 10, Flat 15, F+2, R+0, W+6 / Init +2 Perc +4

Atlas sighs as he pulls off his doctor's mask, and lowers his hood. The mask had been his fathers and makes him look like a bird with a long beak. Wearing the mask in the confined decks of the ship has made him thirsty, and passing by the galley, he decides to get himself some water. He turns to the maid boiling some water.

Excuse me, miss, where is the drinking water?


Female Gnome Oracle / 1

Kayla sighs loudly as she heats up the water for her mistress. Stuck down alone in the kitchen yet again. So boring, though I suppose it's better than stuck being on deck as a server. Giant, clumsy oafs have been nearly stepping on me nearly all day long as we've been loading the boat.

At the sound of someone talking, apparently to her, Kayla looks up in surprise. I thought I was alone in here. Nice enough of him to actually ask for water rather than just telling me to get him some. Also nice to see someone who doesn't tower over me by twice my own height.

"There's a cask filled with drinking water on that table right there. Here, let me get you a cup for it." It's going to take another minute for that water to get hot enough anyway. Kayla darts over to a cabinet, opening it to grab out a wooden mug and then handing it to the young dwarf in front of her.


M Dwarf Cleric of Pharasma 1 / HP 11/11, NLD 0, AC 15, Touch 10, Flat 15, F+2, R+0, W+6 / Init +2 Perc +4

Thank you. I'm Atlas. He offers his hand to shake.

After drawing some water, he holds up the cup Cheers! and takes a long draught, dribbling a little on his beard, longer than most humans would keep theirs but still a long way from a respectable dwarven length.


Female Gnome Oracle / 1

Kayla reaches up and shakes the hand offered, though Atlas isn't very tall, he is still about a foot taller than she is. "Nice to meet you Atlas. My name's Kayla. You gave me a bit of a start when you came in, I thought most everyone else was either sleeping or on the upper deck celebrating."

As she speaks, Kayla checks the water's temperature and glance around, looking for any thing to eat that might not be missed.


Male Human-Chelaxian Fighter(Two Weapon Fighter), HP11/12, NL-HP 0/12, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat-Footed 17, F +3, R +3, W +0, Init +3, Perc +1

Lucanus finally finishes with the last of his chores and tending of the horses. His stomach begins to growl slightly at the continued sounds of the festival above. All the serving staff should be above, I can see if the cook has anything prepared for us

Walking over to the galley, Lucanus walks in before realizing that it's not empty, he spots a dwarf and a halfling immersed in conversation. He makes sure to lighten his step as he doesn't want to accidently hurt one of them, his height and size usually a deterrent when dealing with the smaller folk.

"Excuse me, My Lady and Master Dwarf, but was there any food left out for the squires? I'm afraid that my stomach betrays me, wanting to attend the festivities up stairs..."


Male Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Warrior) 1 HP: 12/12 AC: 18 FF:14 T:14 F:+3 R: +4 W:+0 Init:+4 Perc: +0

"Sheesh, apparently all Hellknights are the same no matter their rank, always taking from the poor and innocent." A boy just walked up to the conversation but even though his face betrayed his age he was only a little shorter than the aspirant. A big grin covers his face making clear it was all in jest.

"My name is Matei, nice to meet you all." The boy is dressed in a simple linen tunic and brown pants, his brown hair cut short.


Male Human-Chelaxian Fighter(Two Weapon Fighter), HP11/12, NL-HP 0/12, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat-Footed 17, F +3, R +3, W +0, Init +3, Perc +1

Lucanus snorts at Matei, "They also say that Hellknights have no sense of humor" He stares intently at Matei for a long moment before laughing. He holds out his forearm to Matei, "Well met, your the squire to Ser Magnus Cortain, correct? I am Lucanus"


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

perception check DC 10:

You notice some fruit to one side that appears to be of decent quality but unacceptable for the lords and ladies and a loaf is stale bread.

Perception DC 20:

You find under a serving platter with a small chicken that appears to have been forgotten by the serving staff. They are salted and spiced perfectly and still warm.


Male Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Warrior) 1 HP: 12/12 AC: 18 FF:14 T:14 F:+3 R: +4 W:+0 Init:+4 Perc: +0

Matei shakes his hand, "Oh I know all to well that humor is rare among Hellknights, and no, I'm not the squire, I'm a porter. Signed up by my granddad to get me away from my father. Long story." He shrugs.

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 8


Male Human-Chelaxian Fighter(Two Weapon Fighter), HP11/12, NL-HP 0/12, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat-Footed 17, F +3, R +3, W +0, Init +3, Perc +1

Lucanus looks confused, spotting the unusual way the man holds himself and his display of weapons. "I'm sorry, I was momentarily confused by your stature, you don't have the attitude of a porter, especially towards someone such as myself."

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 10

Spotting the servicable fruit and stale bread, he grabs them out and slices a few slices and takes an apple. "If anyone is hungry, I'm sure this won't go missed"


Male Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Warrior) 1 HP: 12/12 AC: 18 FF:14 T:14 F:+3 R: +4 W:+0 Init:+4 Perc: +0

"Like I said, I was signed up by my granddad for this job, I actually am a blacksmith who hunts goblins in his spare time." He smiled. "I'm used to negotiating with lower ranking Hellknights for the bounty per goblin head."


Female Gnome Oracle / 1

perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

It takes Kayla a few moments to get the courage to speak, a bit intimidated by the large humans who had suddenly joined them in the galley. It's rather tight quarters in here, wonder what the odds are of me being stepped on at some point?

"Uhm, nice to meet you two. My name's Kayla." She gives a little curtsey as she introduces herself and stands back far enough that she's not likely to be stepped on by anyone.


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

"Bah, he's no more a Hellknight than I'm a bloody lord!"

A tall man stumbles in through the door to the galley from a back stairwell. He's followed by two more hefty men.

the room begins to reek of alcohol.

Knowledge (nobility) DC 15:

You know that the oddly crooked tower emblem on their red and yellow checked surcoats indicates that these are sworn men in the service of Duke Haus. They are not stationed on this ship so they must be visiting from another vessel with the duke for the party.

One of them carries and empty wine bottle, another carries a mug that also appears empty, their red and yellow surcoats stained with food and drink.

The first man into the room speaks again.

"And you! A blacksmith eh? Well what's a blacksmith doing here in the damn galley? Flirting with the staff, cause there sure aren't any goblins here...goblin slayer..." He viciously emphasis his last words in a mocking tone

He stumbles slightly waving the empty mug about before fixing a gaze on Kayla.

"Ah, you, you there...wench!...we need more wine get it for us quick like!"

He leans against the table and slams the mug down, some loose drops from the mug splatter onto Kayla's face. His two companions say nothing but are both obviously interested in the same thing.


Female Gnome Oracle / 1

Though quickly stepping back as the men entered, lest she be stepped on, Kayla didn't get far enough to avoid the splatter of left over wine. Wiping her face with the hem of her apron, she briefly freezes when the man's gaze fixes upon her. Too scared to speak up, Kayla curtsies, and then moves over to where the wine is usually kept, looking to see if there is any left.

KN 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


Male Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Warrior) 1 HP: 12/12 AC: 18 FF:14 T:14 F:+3 R: +4 W:+0 Init:+4 Perc: +0

Matei just rolls his eyes. Nobles and their henchmen, hopeless sorts. Countries were ran by the common people and yet these kind of buffoons figured they were somehow better. Better at drinking perhaps but that was it. "Goblins need slaying and someone has to do it." He shrugs.


Male Human-Chelaxian Fighter(Two Weapon Fighter), HP11/12, NL-HP 0/12, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat-Footed 17, F +3, R +3, W +0, Init +3, Perc +1

My knowledge is more akin to demons, not lord banners, sadly

Lucanus moves to put himself between the hefty men and the little hafling that introduced herself as Kayla, he picks up the mugs and walks over to Kayla, allowing her to fill it up before putting it down before them.

"Will this suffice, or will you need the bottle as well?"


M Dwarf Cleric of Pharasma 1 / HP 11/11, NLD 0, AC 15, Touch 10, Flat 15, F+2, R+0, W+6 / Init +2 Perc +4

Perception Check 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

I am Atlas Healshorn, nice to meet you, Matei and Lucanus. Atlas takes a piece of bread when offered and chews it thoughtfully. He is about to speak when the nobles come demanding wine. He drops his bread and his hand makes its way unconsciously toward the dagger hanging in the sheath on his belt, but he does not draw it.


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

Noticing Matei roll his eyes the man says

"Why is it the children of the commoners who always think they are so much better than they actually are?"

The brute says reaching for the mug.

"They are so much more docile once they've lived a few years and realized their is no hope they'll move beyond their station."

The group of men laugh.

One of the others notices Atlas reach to his belt, "This dwarf thinks he's something as well doesn't he."

The first man takes a swig of the wine while the other two laugh at Atlas, He spits it back out, "What is this you half runt where is the good stuff?!"

Enraged he tosses the mug at Kayla behind Lucanus.


Female Gnome Oracle / 1

Kayla jumps back as the mug clatters to the ground right in front of her feet, glad that the man is too drunk to aim. However she fears he may also be drunk enough to start a fight and she knows she wouldn't stand a chance against him and his two friends. Her little voice trembles a bit as she answers the angry drunkard. "I don't know. That's all that's left down here, everything else went up on deck. They wouldn't leave anything good down here where us servants and commoners could get to it sirs. I'm sorry, perhaps if you went back above you could find better?"

bluff 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
trying to convince them to go back up top for their wine.


Male Human-Chelaxian Fighter(Two Weapon Fighter), HP11/12, NL-HP 0/12, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat-Footed 17, F +3, R +3, W +0, Init +3, Perc +1

Lucanus, again makes sure to be between Kayla and the brutes, he puts the mug of wine down between them. "The lady speaks truth, if it is wine you seek, then please find your way back above to the festival. But if you seek anything else, then you will not find it here. Please leave, or pray that I do not mention this to my superiors."

Intimate 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19


Male Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Warrior) 1 HP: 12/12 AC: 18 FF:14 T:14 F:+3 R: +4 W:+0 Init:+4 Perc: +0

Stupidly brave aspirant. These were noble bastards high on drink, their inflated egos probably couldn't handle this, nor could their addled minds. Taunting them was folly, because those cowards out ranked everyone of them they would end up with the short end of the stick in every possible scenario and those cowards knew it. They were nothing but bullies, all those damn nobles were. It was the one good thing about goblins, they didn't choose their targets based on one's birth or heritage.

Instinctively Matei took a step back. If these goons did attack he wasn't backing off. They would be blamed anyway, better make it worth it.


Sense motive to Kayla's bluff 1d20 ⇒ 3

They seem to believe you that there must be more wine on deck. But they also seem to be fueled by enough wine already not care. They seem more interested in a fight.

its kind of critical that Avakor's character gets in on this at least a bit so between Kayla's bluff and Lucanus ridiculous intimidate roll :-) I'm going to say nemius (was that his name?) needs to take an action, but Lucanus your roll and what you said still stands and won't be tossed out


Male Human Cavalier 1, HP 13/13, NL-HP 0/13, AC 17, Touch 11, Flat-Footed 16, F +4, R +1, W +1, Init +1, Perc +5

Nemius works slowly and gingerly brushing his horse. "Easy there, Thunder. I know the waters are not a comfortable place for you, but we'll be back on land soon enough." He continues to speak calmly and plainly as he brushes the horse, letting the sound of his voice help ease the animal.

Hearing a bit of commotion from the galley, he turns to look at door. "I'll be back in a minute, boy. Rest easy and I'll return with a snack for you." The horse's ears perk up at the last part of the comment. Nemius puts down his brush and walks over to the galley. He pushes open the door after hearing the last bit from the three men.

After listening to words of the other teens in the room, Nemius looks towards the three drunken men. "It's sad that even such a thing needs to be mentioned." He gestures to Lucanus. "Aren't those of noble blood supposed to comport themselves in a 'noble' manner? Why is it that there are so many nobles that think they are so much better than they really are?" He glares at the men.

Assisting Lucanus with intimidate.
Intimidate to Aid Another: 1d20 ⇒ 6 Fail
So much for helping there...


These men themselves are not necessarily nobles but rather make up a more of a middle class of well off soldiers. They would see themselves as better than a commoner but they themselves are men at arms.


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

"your superiors don't scare me boy! High and mighty lords of the law they claim. Just an order of lords themselves imposing their own rule. Go ahead defend the halfling some day yell be different someday folk like her won't even matter to you." the first man continues to rant but after lucanus stod so firmly against them the other two seem a little less interested in engaging in further discourrabid they grab their friend by the arms and drag him gently towards the door. "and you blacksmith! Better hope we don't meet again when we're on land, that little wench knows her place but I'll be happy to teach you yours."

"come on Fen, let's go there's no wine down here, nothing but a bunch of teenagers, not worth our time."

The two men at arms gently drag Fen out but they all look back over their shoulders and sneer at you all as you go. As quickly as they grew angry they turn to laughing and joking again as they stomp up the stairs. One of them throws the empty bottle back into the galley and it smashes on the deck at lucanus feet, to his friends amusement.


Female Gnome Oracle / 1

Lucanus suddenly finds a pair of still slightly trembling arms wrapped around one thigh as the halfling maid hugs the only part she can reach. "Oh thank you so much. I thought they might hurt me."


M Dwarf Cleric of Pharasma 1 / HP 11/11, NLD 0, AC 15, Touch 10, Flat 15, F+2, R+0, W+6 / Init +2 Perc +4

Once the soldiers have left, Atlas lets out the breath he'd been holding. He spots and picks up the piece of bread he dropped, brushed off a few bits of dirt and resumes eating it. If he gets some stares from the group, he smiles sheepishly. Sorry, my mother always taught me to never waste food. That lesson got reinforced in the Archfiend's orphanages, too. Never enough food there. Had to pray everyday there Phar--Asmodeus to give me the ability to purify anything I ate. He hastily shoves the rest of his bread into his mouth and swallows, but the bread being dry, he draws another cup of water from the basin and drinks it. Sorry, I do not usually talk about being an orphan. I am glad to the Church for taking me in after my family died, of course I am. And allowing me the honor of healing the Archfiend's troops, of course.


Male Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Warrior) 1 HP: 12/12 AC: 18 FF:14 T:14 F:+3 R: +4 W:+0 Init:+4 Perc: +0

Good riddance. These were the useless men that died by bushels during the Goblinblood wars when the people's militias and the mercenaries were more effective than the soldiers. If they'd try anything they'd be paying for it, either directly or when they found themselves at the delivery end of a Shoanti axe just after their sabotaged armor fell off their shoulders.

When the Dwarf starts about Asmodeus Matei looks surprised, "I don't think you need to grovel Atlas. I doubt any of us are too fond of big ol' Asmodeus." He himself wasn't and he had never seen a halfling follower of the old goat. In his experience with the Hellknights of the Citadel north of his home town they cared more about law than about Azzy, which left only the newest arrival but he spoke up to those soldiers and that would be out of line for one of the indoctrinated.


Male Human-Chelaxian Fighter(Two Weapon Fighter), HP11/12, NL-HP 0/12, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat-Footed 17, F +3, R +3, W +0, Init +3, Perc +1

Lucanus smiles down at Kayla, "You are most welcome, my lady. Some of the common soldiery can be brutes, especially around a woman. They are gone for now and the drink will drain from their systems and give them some sense. I would remain slightly cautious for the next few days. But have no fear, for I am duty bound to keep an eye out for you" Lucanus relaxes his hand by his sword as he realizes the threat is finally gone.

At the mention of Asmodeus, Lucanus clears his throat and draws out his sword enough so that Matei can see the upside down star, the symbol of Asmodeus, upon the pommel. He gives it a few taps, to emphasis his point. He re-sheaths the sword before joining Atlas with the remainder of the bread and fruit.

"Not to worry, fair dwarf, I am also an orphan. I was taken as a ward to Citadel Demain when both my parent's died in the line of duty. They were both Hellknights, so you can say that my path is predetermined already."


Male Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Warrior) 1 HP: 12/12 AC: 18 FF:14 T:14 F:+3 R: +4 W:+0 Init:+4 Perc: +0

A Hellknight devoted to the goat? Curious. The Hellknights in Isger didn't really care about the fiend but this one did. "Lucanus, may I ask what order you belong to? Back home I've met both Nail and Godhandclaw and neither of those cared about anything but the law, though both in their own way, and they certainly weren't devoted to the old goa.. well that guy."


Male Human-Chelaxian Fighter(Two Weapon Fighter), HP11/12, NL-HP 0/12, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat-Footed 17, F +3, R +3, W +0, Init +3, Perc +1

"As an Aspirant, I have not joined an order, but Citadel Demain was my home and it housed the Order of the Scourge. My patron choice is simply my own"


Female Gnome Oracle / 1

Looks like we all have different deities.

Though she doesn't usually care for any of the HellKnights she's run into before, Kayla decides Lucanus is nice even if is an Aspirant. Given that she is barefoot, as usual, Kaylee steps carefully around the shards of broken bottle as she goes to check on the kettle of water on the stove. Now that there's no more danger, she remembers that she's in the galley for a reason.

"Well, if we're discussing gods, I hope no one minds I follow Shelyn. Now, I don't want to seem rude and just run out on all of you, but I had best be getting this hot water to my mistress's cabin before it has time to cool off. Maybe I'll see you all later? Most of the other people I've met so far can't be bothered to talk to me."


Male Human-Chelaxian Fighter(Two Weapon Fighter), HP11/12, NL-HP 0/12, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat-Footed 17, F +3, R +3, W +0, Init +3, Perc +1

Lucanus finishes with the fruit and bread, having his fill. He gets up and approaches Kayla, "Would my lady mind an escort? Just to make sure those brutes have indeed gone back upstairs. My mind would be at rest to make sure you are safe."


Female Gnome Oracle / 1

"Oh, I hadn't even thought that they might still be hanging about. If you truly don't mind or have pressing duties elsewhere, then yes, I would very much like an escort."


Male Human-Chelaxian Fighter(Two Weapon Fighter), HP11/12, NL-HP 0/12, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat-Footed 17, F +3, R +3, W +0, Init +3, Perc +1

Lucanus shakes his head "I have finished my chores, but even if I hadn't, my commander would understand my delay. I only wonder if my caution is enough to grab my shield and armor... we should be fine. Lead on my lady!"


Male Human Cavalier 1, HP 13/13, NL-HP 0/13, AC 17, Touch 11, Flat-Footed 16, F +4, R +1, W +1, Init +1, Perc +5

Nemius shakes his head and sighs, "What scum... Pretending they're worth anything. Their behavior shows that quite plainly."

He watches the serving girl and the hellknight aspirant leave and begins to search the galley for a snack for Thunder.

Perception Check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

He glances at the other two in the room as he searches, "Would either of you two happen to know where something such as a carrot of similar vegetable is? I promised Thunder a snack when I returned, so I do not wish to return empty handed." He sighs as his search has turned up nothing so far.


Male Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Warrior) 1 HP: 12/12 AC: 18 FF:14 T:14 F:+3 R: +4 W:+0 Init:+4 Perc: +0

"I'm afraid you just missed the one person who knows her way around this kitchen. Lucanus seemed to have found apples though I don't know where." Matei starts looking around in an attempt to find where the aspirant had left them.

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 8

"Don't fret about those soldiers, their egos are inflated by working for a noble. They can't really help being stupid anyway."

Kind of odd by the way, that the warrior kid is the smartest (Int wise) of the group


Female Gnome Oracle / 1

Even though Kaylee is very nearly running with the kettle to get it to the cabin before it can cool, the tall human with his long strides has no trouble keeping up with her. When they near the cabin, she'll motion for him to stay back while she knocks on the door and delivers the water. I really hope that's the last thing they need me to do for the night. I'm really tired now and just want to go find a place to sleep.


Male Human-Chelaxian Fighter(Two Weapon Fighter), HP11/12, NL-HP 0/12, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat-Footed 17, F +3, R +3, W +0, Init +3, Perc +1

Lucanus positions himself by the door and remains quiet, I'm glad this has been uneventful. Lucanus quietly stiffles a yawn as Kayla heads in.


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

Lucanus & Kayla:

Lucanus and Kayla go up a back passage into the aft cabins in the sterncastle where Lady Thrune and her ladies in waiting have their chambers.

The don't see anyone but they hear that the party on deck must be winding down which means Lady Thrune, the lords and the Generals will soon be heading back to their own ships or heading to their cabins.

Esmera, Lady Thrunes lady in waiting and chief confidant opens the door.

"Kayla, thank you." Esmera says with a curt nod without a smile. Kayla has found her to be a very difficult person to read, her eyes seem sharp and aware and she doesn't seem to miss much. She doesn't treat staff lesser than herself poorly but nor does she seem friendly or cordial.

She is a young human woman, perhaps eighteen or twenty years old, of average height with a long dark brown braid and she wears a grey and green dress with white frills.

Her eyes are green and they quickly notice Lucanus standing down the hall. She shows absolutely no reaction. She takes the hot water from Kayla gently and says "That will be all dear, you can retire." She closes the door behind her.

What I'm going to do is just post a longer post for each of you trying to describe some of the people you work with, and for, as well as a bit about your daily life and responsibilities in your positions.

I'll also then include these people in a dramatis personea on the information page for future reference, and also so I can remember who they are. Any questions about these characters just ask because they are people your characters should have known for the last few weeks or months. I'm just going to try and set the tone for each of your characters lives, not all posts will be this long.

Kayla:

Kayla you share quarters with Bertha the cook and Hani the second scullery maid just down the hall. You also have Lady Thrunes two dogs in your cabin as well which are part of your responsibility to feed and groom. You know Hani and Bertha won't take care of them properly, they have no aptitude when it comes to dealing with the two large hounds. They both seem to like you even though they are almost as tall as you and you are sure they will be there ready to great you with wagging tails.

Just as a note about your current duties, you are responsible for helping Bertha with cooking, mostly cutting and cleaning. You are responsible for making sure the chamber pots are dealt with and food is brought up to her ladyship, walking and grooming the dogs is usually your afternoon chore. In the evening your duties consist of cleaning anything that is required as well as preparing the hot water for washing or for bathing as needed. You are very rarely allowed into her Ladyships presence and you often meet Esmera or one of the other two ladies in waiting at the door to send in or receive items that need to go in. Life on the ship is almost identical to what you have experienced thus far in the ladies employment. Lady Thrune herself barely says one word to you or her staff or seems to notice them, except for when she complimented you once on how well her dogs seemed to be cared for. But even then it was not directed at you but more in general conversation in your presence.

The way she treats you is by no means different than the norm for how most nobles of Cheliax treat their servants.

Lucanus:

Lucanus you are quartered in the forecastle at the other end of the ship on the top deck with the generals and the Hellknights, blademaster Sigmund Krase, two Hellknights and you, the only aspirant, share the same cabin.

You guess that Hellknights Jaran and Davian, despite the party, probably retired very early and are tending their equipment and preparing for bed already. Master Krase is probably still on deck, making sure not to miss anything but he will probably be in a sour mood after having to sit through the party. He will return expecting you to be done seeing to the horses and to be ready to help him with his armour.

The Hellknights tend to be the only ones who wear their armour all the time on the ship or in camp. They do so to maintein an sever and authoritarian appearnce. Most soldiers and knights wouldnt dare wear plate or even chain out to sea for fear of drowning but fear is not really accepted by the Hellknights. You may wear your armour as well but it's not really conducive to performing your horse grooming or feeding most of the time.

Master Krase is a fair but stern man, he has, in the past, kept his distance from politics and built his reputation by being a competnet commander and a man who seeks to uphold justice. Many times he finds himself at odds with the generals. He rarely looses his temper but once in a while when he does it is a sight to see and most people run in terror. He is known to be one of the best swordsmen in the order and favours the bastard sword himself which is why he may have taken an interest in your training and accepted you as the one aspirant on the mission.

As for the rest of the Hellknights armt they are seperated on to two other war ships the Fury and the Immortal and several transports,. The contingent consists approximately of:

500 heavy knights on horse,
250 foot knights,
2000 infantry,
5 light guns,
200 crossbowmen,

It is a large contingent of Hellknights but it is meagre in number in contrast to the rest of the army.

Your duties consist of, bringng the three hellknights their meals, grooming master Krase's horses, armour and weapons. You frequently take part in dueling and training with the other two hellknights

I'll post for the rest of you when I get back, just didn't have the time right now

Nemius you also manage to find the bread and some fruit but no vegetables while in the galley.


Female Gnome Oracle / 1

Lucanus & Kayla::

Kayla curtseys after the water is taken from her and after Esmara shuts the door, she'll head back over to Lucanus. "Thank you again for coming with me sir. The cabin I share with some of the other girls is just right down the hall. I swear I'm so tired I'll most likely fall asleep before my head even hits my pillow. It's always just so much work whenever there's a party planned. Well, I'll bid you goodnight and perhaps I'll see you again on this trip?"

Kayla will be moving towards the door to her cabin as she keeps talking, eager to see her bed.


M Dwarf Cleric of Pharasma 1 / HP 11/11, NLD 0, AC 15, Touch 10, Flat 15, F+2, R+0, W+6 / Init +2 Perc +4

Glad to see I've met those worshipping more admirable gods, or at least paying the Archfiend the devotion he deserves, Atlas smirks. I'm very used to groveling. You've got to grovel when you're a Pharasman cleric healing in the Church of Asmodeus. Only reason I volunteered to go on this mission was to get out of the Church. I like healing people, even the fiend's flock, but I hate all the lip service I have to give to the fiend. At least out here soldiers are far less pious than priests. Don't really care who you're praying to when you're magicking their wounds shut, as long as it works.


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

Nemius:

Your duties consist of maintaining weapons for Ser Magnus Cortain as well as helping him with his armour. You are also responsible for carrying messages that he might have for his men or running errands for him and his top riders. You participate in drills and practice combat with the unit but have had little sparing time since the unit has been so busy getting ready for the voyage.

You are also responsible for feeding the horses everyday and grooming them. There are three horses, your own thunder, Ser Cortain's riding horse Frenzy and his black destrier Pantheon.

Magnus Cortain himself is a charming and smart man, handsome by any standards and innovative. He's also a knight through and through, believing in being gallant and daring and cutting an imposing figure on the battlefield. Although he stands just over 6 feet he still manages to come of as a giant of a man in social settings or when ridding his horse into battle.

He's friendly enough towards you. you haven't been with him for very long so you haven't gotten to know him that well but he seems interested in teaching you and more than competent to do so.

Although he seems to be just a commander he is in command of one of the most prominent cavalry units in the army, The Black Hearts. This group of knights and horsemen have dropped the lance and now are using pistol and longsword in combat. They ride hard towards their targets let loose a volley into the enemy and then engage with their swords. This new tactic seems controversial with the generals but Ser Cortain seems to have the full support and trust of Lady Thrune. The Black Hearts also ride exclusively black warhorses and it's said the second in command is a wizard or magus who casts fear and doubt into the minds of the enemy as the Black Hearts charge head long into battle.

Several Lords have made it clear publicly that he is stepping beyond his station and advising on battle strategies when he is only a commander but it seems like he has Lady Thrunes ear and he plans to use it.

you are quartered with the command staff of the Black Hearts in the fore sterncastle. You are in a small cabin with Ser Cortain, Ser Lokerbee, Ser Barton and Ser Faulk. You've been given a spot on the floor as their are only four cots.

Lokerbee is a man of panache and charisma, he clearly suffers from an ego larger than most, but he seems to be able to back it up. Tall, handsome, with a large moustache he cuts a striking figure, especially on parade where he wears extra plumes and has an elaborate red cape. several times he's been mistaken for the commander because he is so over dressed which doesn't seem to bother Cortain at all, in fact they seem to get a laugh out of it.

Barton is quiet and thoughtful but other than that he seems well adjusted and confident. He is an expert shot with a pistol, and very competent with the blade.

Faulk is a mystery, he never seems to talk except in low whispers and then only to Cortain or Barton. He seems to dislike Lockerbee but lockerbee seems not to care. Faulk is not the most impressive rider in the unit but he is competent. You suspect that he may be the "magus" of the bunch but you actually aren't sure if he is or not.


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

Atlas:

You have been given few instructions as to what you are to do or how you are to do it. You have been given a place to sleep in the cargo hold and told to report to Tursk the slave driver on the lower deck everyday to make sure the oarsmen are healthy to drive the ship to Varisia.

Tursk is a large fat man with scars all over his large belly and shoulders. He treat the slaves extremely poorly and barely tolerates you. But he does recognize the need for your aid.

Other than Tursk you have made few acquaintances on board the ship. You do report to Styrian, a high ranking priest of Asmodesou, he himself reports to Cardinal Oradnus the vile, whom you have never spoken to or met in person.

Before leaving on the voyage you were forced to enter the temple of Asmodeous in Egorian and watch the "blessing" ceremony, something that will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Although you've found that most Chelish people simply live their lives in peace and give little thought to the fact they are under the church of Asmodeous, the clerics and priests themselves are fully committed to his vile worship which includes human sacrifice and scrying from the innards.

You closed your eyes and nearly vomited several times at the sounds of the sacrifices and the infernal chanting. In truth you are very glad to have left Egorian behind.

Styrian, for the most part leaves you alone and doesn't care what you do as long as he doesn't have to hear Tursk complain about you.


Male Human-Chelaxian Fighter(Two Weapon Fighter), HP11/12, NL-HP 0/12, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat-Footed 17, F +3, R +3, W +0, Init +3, Perc +1

Lucanus & Kayla:
Lucanus bows to Kayla "Of course, my Lady, you have a pleasant evening and I do hope to see you around the boat once again."

Once she heads to bed, Lucanus heads up to the Hellknight cabin to attend to Master Krase, if he sees him, he will give his report of everything, including his chores, the rowdy noblemen and his escorting of the Lady Thune's attendant while assisting them man with his armor.

Due to the hostilities, Lucanus thinks it would be prudent to begin wearing his armor around the boat, like the other senior Hellknights.


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

Matei:

You helped several load the Braxus and then you were told to make your way into the cargo hold and find a place to set up your gear. You seem to belong no were. The soldiers have their units, the crew of the ship all know each other. The lords and the knights simply ignore you and the other porters don't even care who you are, they are just here for their own reasons.

For right now, on the voyage, it seems like you take your orders from the quartermaster for the 3rd Arquebusiers, a new unit made up of men who use firearms instead of crossbows.

You aren't even certain of his name but he seems to find you and order you about all the same, "move this, store that, find this crate, no that crate." Now that most of the cargo has been settled in place you are most likely going to have a lot of free time until the fleet docks.

One thing you've noticed is one of the Sergeant at Arms has taken notice of you and has even invited you to join him and his band of men for supper a few times.

L'Aaron “Lark” Van Helmunn, he's a bit of a rogue, lean and tough, he's been a professional soldier for almost fifteen years, he's fought in three campaigns and when the opportunity came to try something new he jumped on it with his men and they joined the new regiment.

His battalion is known to be the most undisciplined but also some of the best scouts and skirmishers and have been assigned to protect the Braxus from the rigging on the voyage and then they have been assigned to Ser Magnus Cortain and the Black Hearts heavy horse cavalry for scouting and foraging when the army lands.

Yesterday Lark was mentioning to you that he was trying to get you assigned to his unit to help with upkeep and repairs of the weapons. He and his men know their guns through and through but could use a blacksmith who can work with fine material to provide the parts they need in the field to stay in fighting shape, and he joked, a strong young man to carry the powder kegs to the battle and his loot back for him useful as well.


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

Lucanus on your way to your berth on deck you see the three men from Duke Haus' guard with seven others. They are still drunk and they are awkwardly trying to climb the rope ladder over the railing and down to a waiting boat to take them back to Duke Haus' warship. There is no sign of anyone you assume could be Duke Haus but the deck is crowded with servants and crew cleaning up after the party.

The men see you and smile a nasty grin, "Hellknight! See you around! Oh don't look so sad your old buddy Fen won't forget your face. See you in a month in Korvosa, you can buy use all drinks!" With that they make their way over the railing and down, joking and laughing at jokes only drunk men would laugh at.

The rest of the house Guards all take note of your face as well and grinning with nasty and contempt-full sneers the Haus men leave the ship.

Before you start on again you notice Master Krase striding across the deck. He does appear to be in a sour mood. He appears to be coming from rear cabins and heading to your shared quarters.

He sees you and nods, willingly taking your report as you fall in beside him. He says nothing until you are finished.

"You did well not to engage them, a foolish man tries to argue with a drunk, a wise man simply sends them on their way."

He pauses and turns to you before entering the cabins.

"Lucanus, if you wish to be a Hellknight know that it is indeed a just cause, but justice chaffs at the neck of the common man and the noble alike. You will garner no sympathy from either. Your very presence will cause all men to lash out at you because only those who have truly given themselves to justice understand it and find freedom in it." He turns and heads into the cabin.

Jaran and Davian stand and salute the master when he enters and they give you a nod. You help Krase with his armour and the master takes out a large key, opens a his chest and takes out a journal and a map, he quickly settles in at a small desk making notes and scribbling lines on the pages of the journal.

You light a candle for him. Jaran and Davian are both prepared for sleep and Jaran locks the door shut before heading to his cot.

Lucanus you are free to continue to stay up, take actions, whatever you like. I want to keep this much more loose and more open for your characters actions than the skull and shackles game. I might take license with simple things like assuming your character would light the candle etc. but I'll try and leave most stuff up to you to create your story within the story.

1 to 50 of 177 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Wildland Pacification Wars Gameplay Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.