Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

The Third Continent

Game Master Quillworth

An unlikely group, bound first by necessity and now friendship, emerges from a desert cave to find...


1 to 50 of 142 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Welcome to the Third Continent campaign.


"This is a spoken statement."

These are character thoughts, unless otherwise stated. They can also be used for emphasis, or to show a whispered phrase, etc. As usual, try to "show" instead of "telling."

This is description. Use it to describe actions or objects.

Use this for skills and rolls.

Use this for out-of-character commentary, such as saying "oops, I forgot to XYZ" or "are you sure that's the rule?"

Anything another player wouldn't (or might not) know:
Or other languages. If you're going to post in another language, post in the language first, for effect. You can use any translator found online. I don't really care.

1d8 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8 Dice expression. Please roll in the open.

Gandalf said wrote:
Use this to quote other players. Quote only the part you are addressing.


The Third Continent is officially open! Welcome!

Our story begins in the middle of nowhere.

A group of escaped prisoners find themselves sprawled out across a small expanse of smooth alabaster rock, amid multi-colored dunes the size of large mountains that stretch into the sky. A gushing spring is nearby, clearly the only source of hydration for miles, if not farther, spilling down into a dark cave entrance. A giant lizard cools itself under an outcropping of rock.

The sun is descending in the sky, and soon drops behind one of the larger dunes, affording all some respite from the intense heat.

It is 7:00pm, or thereabouts, and the small group ponders what to do next.

Anyone may post now!


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3

"We should make our way back to Snyderholm, if we can."


Male Human Ranger 3

Knowledge (Geography) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20, to determine if Baronrun is closer?

"Agreed. Does anyone carry anything to carry large amounts of water?" Eli stoops to refill his water pouch.


Female Human Cutpurse Rogue 3

"Sounds like a good plan...do we know the way? I remember that there is a road somewhere going through this desert. I believe Snyderholm is to the North. We should travel by night if possible, and gather as much of this water as possible before we leave." Ariana looks around at the landscape to try to determine where they are in the desert in relation to the tallest mountain peak, the sun, and any other geographical marks visible.

Survival Check: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (4) + 0 = 4


Eli Ravenkin wrote:
Knowledge (Geography) 1d20 + 8, to determine if Baronrun is closer?

All that you can see is sand and sky, but you know that the tales of Keller's Basin place it somewhere near Baronrun. It's a guess, but you are more likely to be near Baronrun than Snyderholm if this is indeed Keller's Basin.

Ariana Firth wrote:
Survival check.

You squint into the bright sunlight, trying to spy something beyond sand...sand...endless sand...and you fail.


Female Human 3rd Level Wizard

Carys checks over her meager belongings, making sure everything is there. She puts everything neatly back into her pack and swings it onto her back. "Shall we go then? Snyderholm is north?"


Male Human Ranger 3

"North, yes."
Eli squints at the position of the sun, his shadow, and listens for the wind. Survival 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16, to determine north, possibly the direction of the road?


Eli Ravenkin wrote:

"North, yes."

Eli squints at the position of the sun, his shadow, and listens for the wind. Survival 1d20 + 11, to determine north, possibly the direction of the road?

You can easily determine North as a bit of time passes. The spring where the lizard lay underneath an outcropping of rock is nearly directly north from the cave entrance. The road is most likely to be due East, as it runs a bit off-center North-to-South through the huge desert, and Keller's Basin is said to be in the center or near center of the huge dunes. If you keep heading East, you're likely to find it.


Male Human Ranger 3

"Hm, no, wait..." Eli pauses, thinking. "Let's go east. There is a road that way that leads north. When we find it, we don't have to worry about getting lost among the dunes. We can take it to Baronrun, and on to Snyderholm."


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3

"I say we wait an hour or two for the heat to pass and we move on."


Everyone must now make a fortitude save against the extreme desert heat. Each of you has five levels of heat exhaustion:

1- Healthy (all is as normal)
2- Thirsty (character now wants water as a secondary goal)
3- Dehydrated (character now needs water as a primary goal)
4- Heat sickness (speed reduced to 5ft, -5hp per hour)
5- Death

You start at 5 right now. You must pass a fortitude of 5 every hour that you are in the desert from 10a.m. to 7p.m. You may forego the fortitude save if you have a drink of water. Whatever you choose to store water in, tell me and I will calculate the amount of "drinks" it contains. Ask me in discussion for any clarifications :)

You may take multiple drinks and multiple rolls privately, as long as you keep track with the others somehow if you are using a shared container. You only need to post status changes of your heat exhaustion level here.


Female Human Cutpurse Rogue 3

Fortitude: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

"Yes, please, let's wait a bit. It's too hot. Maybe we can wait over in the shade with the lizard?" As Ariana speaks, she fills her waterskin from the pool.


Male Human Ranger 3

Fortitude 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

After filling his waterskin, Eli drinks from the spring.


Eli's waterskin contains 25 drinks of water when full.

Heat Exhaustion clarification:

Some clarification: the heat exhaustion should be the following:

-1 Normal
-2 Thirsty
-3 Dehydrated
-4 Heat sickness
-5 Death

You must pass a fortitude save of 5 every hour (including one right now to start). Rolling a 1 IS an automatic fail in this case.

You may forego the save if you have a drink of water instead that hour.

Feel free to post your saves (if you are not drinking water) to your character sheet for tracking. You can also use the discussion forum or a spoiler on here. Same for keeping track of water stores. This will be too tedious if we try to post everything on here, but I want this desert to be difficult for you :)


Male Human Ranger 3

Cool.

Nodding to Ariana's suggestion, Eli moves to the outcropping of stone to rest until nightfall.


Female Human Cutpurse Rogue 3

Ariana moves towards the shade to rest as well.


As the group moves closer to the shade, the lizard wakes from what appears to have been a brief slumber. It watches them, seemingly exhausted.

As dusk settles, the lizard rises and begins to move back toward the cave entrance, slowly.


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3

"It's getting dark. Let's get going."


Female Human 3rd Level Wizard

Carys takes a few drinks from the pond and then settles into the shade and flips through her spellbook aimlessly. As dusk is settling, she takes one last drink of water, packs her things, and looks ready to follow the group.


Female Human Cutpurse Rogue 3

Ariana stands at Lucas' suggestion, packs what little she took out, and says, "Yes, shall we?"


Male Human Ranger 3

Eli rises and shoulders his pack. "We shall. Eastward."

The ranger sets a pace to the east.


You set out East.

As night truly falls and the moonlight illuminates the ghostly white sands, you begin to traverse the first valley between two mountain-sized dunes. Two hours under the cover of night, you crest a decent-sized dune and see nothing but sand until the horizon. It takes much effort to keep trudging ahead, and your pace is slowed by the deep sand.

Around 2:00am, it becomes quite cold. Before you lie salt flats, a long stretch of nothing. The salty crust is treacherous to tread, and has formed thinly over a deep muck. Most likely, this place was once a lake. To the east, across the flats, lie more white, mountainous dunes.

It is an hour into crossing these perilous flats (3:00am) that you notice some strange formations, about the size of a horse, appearing to be embedded into the ground nearly a half mile in the distance. The moonlight is fading, so they are difficult to make out.

You aren't sure, but it seemed that one of them moved just now.


Male Human Ranger 3

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

Eli continues onward, but watching the oddities ahead carefully.

Knowledge (Nature) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21, for when he gets close enough to identify them.


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3

"Do not approach it. We need to find shelter before morning. We must keep going."


Male Human Ranger 3

I don't have a tent. Is the soil sturdy enough to dig out a shelter?


Eli Ravenkin wrote:
I don't have a tent. Is the soil sturdy enough to dig out a shelter?

Perception & Kno:Nature:
The heaps are gleaming in the moonlight. They are shiny to some extent, and buried at least partially in the dirt. As you near, you see that they are even a bit glossy. (I'll assume you partially take Lucas' advice and don't get too close) As you get as near as the others let you, you see a large crack in the things running lengthwise down them. It seems to be the separation of two large plates. Suddenly, it strikes you, and you can't believe it, but you recognize them as the outer armor of several gigantic insects. Beetles, you'd guess, but can't completely tell as all but their shells is hidden beneath the salty crust.

Several feet of muck lies below a salty dry crust, and you would be hard-pressed to "dig" much of anything out. Also, the muck is carbon-based, the remains of animals and plants, and smells foul. If you were to dig a shelter, you might be sick from the smell, and that is assuming that the muck wouldn't just seep back into fill up the hole.


Male Human Ranger 3

"Agreed, Strongjaw. Those look to be giant beetles, buried up to their backs. While I would enjoy the challenge, not all of us are built for the desert wastes. Perhaps another time. Pray that we find a place to hunker before the sunrise."

Eli continues east, careful to give the creatures a wide berth. He doesn't trust the flats and keeps a watchful eye on the path ahead.
Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17


Perception:
You give the creatures plenty of room, and soon they fall far into the distance behind you, but dawn is only an hour away, and you have only come to what you judge to be the middle of the salt flats. There are small "islands" of sand here and there now, but that and the distant mountains of sand across the flats is all you spy.


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3

Survival for inspiration of further ways to avoid the desert heat.

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


Male Human Ranger 3

Eli furrows his brow. He touches his waterskin, to be certain of its place. He glances over the rest of the group, but says nothing. We will rest if we find shelter. When we find shelter. There is no hesitation in his eastward strides.


Lucas "Strong Jaw" Tavington wrote:

Survival for inspiration of further ways to avoid the desert heat.

1d20+6

Survival inspiration:
The flats offer no natural shelter. Of course, a tent would offer a little help for the sunlight, but the air temperature of the flats is bound to be nearly unbearable, and very dangerous, even if one were to stand in the shade. It's possible that below the salty crust the layers of carbon-based sludge could remain cool. Many animals, such as hippos, coat themselves in mud to remain cool. Muck has the ability to keep them from overheating, so it might do the same thing for you, if you tried to burrow into it. However, it is likely to simply slip back into the hole once you've dug into it. The sludge is also only a few feet deep. You've heard of people burrowing to avoid the desert sun, but never on salt flats. That doesn't mean it can't be done.

Male Human Ranger 3

I think we continue until something happens, or at least until saves need to be made?


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3

^


The group journeys on throughout the night, and arrives near the middle of the salt flats at daybreak. The heat is instantaneous, and begins to sap their strength from around 7pm onward. Another 3 hours will let them reach the dunes at the far end of the flats. Perhaps there is shelter to be found among them?

Each of you needs to make 3 saves or have 3 drinks of water to make it there.


Male Human Ranger 3

Saves:
Fortitude 1d20 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 + 4 = 21 Fortitude 1d20 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 + 4 = 28 Fortitude 1d20 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 + 4 = 23, bonus +4 is from the Endurance feat.

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Accustomed to this climate, Eli squints at the dunes in hopes of finding shelter for the fairer folk.


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3

Saves:

Fortitude 1d20 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 6 + 4 = 29
Fortitude 1d20 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 4 = 12
Fortitude 1d20 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 6 + 4 = 19
The extra plus 4 is from the Endurance feat.

The heat is strong but Lucas endures. An hour in, he's dying for some water. He quaffs some when the ranger isn't looking.

Show no weakness. Earn respect.

The water was cool and refreshing: just what he needed. He matches Eli stride for stride, assuming Arianna is alright...


Female Human Cutpurse Rogue 3

Saves:
Fort:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Fort:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Fort:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Ariana doesn't look so great after the first bit of sun, and so she takes a sip of water. The water cools her off, and now that she's had a taste for it, she continues to sip as they trek towards the dunes in search of shelter.

"I don't know how much longer I can take this heat. It's terrible."


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3

"It's not far now. Maybe after this you'll have that bronzed skin you saw on those women from the trading caravan? That'll be worth it right? Hahaha."

Lucas is sincere in trying to keep her spirits high, but the comparison is too funny for him not to laugh.


Eli Ravenkin wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

Perception 1d20 + 8

Accustomed to this climate, Eli squints at the dunes in hopes of finding shelter for the fairer folk.

The dunes on this side of the salt flats rise above you, but not to the extent of the ones you left behind. They are a much more manageable size, and the group will be able to make better time through them. They are also a golden color, instead of the white before. Besides these things, however, you see something that looks large and artificial. It does not match the sand.

Eli only:

Rolling a WIS check for you.
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

As you gain a bit of ground for a better look (knowing the kinds of things that desert and sun can do to a man), you shake your head and look again. It must have only been a mirage, making a few cacti appear to be a building of sorts. No other obvious shelter presents itself to your sight.


Male Human Ranger 3

Eli does not change his pace, eventually stepping up to the cacti. Drawing his dagger, he prepares to remove the spines in order to harvest water and the fleshy innards of the cacti.
Survival 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12 :(


The cacti all seem to contain water. You are able to sheer off enough needles to access the innards of the plant, but you accidentally spill some several times. You are able to obtain 5 "drinks" worth of water, as well as enough flesh to make a passable meal for 2 persons from the few you carve up (this takes little time). Based on "provide food & drink" survival usage.


Male Human Ranger 3

"Carys, Ariana, eat." Eli offers the portions to the ladyfolk. He fills his dry hands with cactus water, and gulps it down. 4 "drinks" left.

"Refill your waterskins if you need to, but there is only a little left. I would prefer to keep moving until we find shelter."

He looks to each of his four companions to see how the weather is wearing on them. Satisfied that no one is in immediate danger, he waits for the others to eat and collect the water before resuming his ground-eating pace.


Female Human 3rd Level Wizard

saves:
I want to use Resist for my saves (o level +1 on next save)
Fort1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
#2 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
#31d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Carys trudges along quietly behind the others. Clearly, she is not enjoying the heat and quietly enduring the bitter sun at the back of the group. She accepts Eli's food gratefully and attempts a drink from the cactus.


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3

Aiding Eli with harvesting the cacti. 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Add 2 to his result!

"Where did you learn that trick old man? I'll have to remember that. Show me again how to take the spines off."


Male Human Ranger 3

"Not much to it, Strongjaw. See? You catch on quick."


Female Human Cutpurse Rogue 3

"Thanks, that is quite a trick." Ariana eats some of the cacti, puts some of the liquid in her water skin, and then continues on with the others.

I put two drinks worth of cacti juice in my water skin, as long as nobody objects.


Male Goblin 3 Fighter (Free-hand)

Xazt crawls out of Eli's backpack and finally joins the rest of the party!

So really, how many fort saves and things should I do? S+!! I didn't realize I was a month behind...


Male Human Ranger 3

"Bloody hell! I thought my pack seemed a few pounds heavier. Alright gobo, no more loafing."

Eli readjusts his pack to distribute the weight.

I think 4 saves? I dunno.

1 to 50 of 142 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Third Continent All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.