Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

The Strangler of the Shadow Moor

Game Master Terquem

When a mysterious experiment draws together the Plane of Shadows and the Plane of Negative Energy, strange things are born, and a world begins to unravel | The Temple of Shadows


1,251 to 1,300 of 1,307 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>

male

There is no response to Sasithorn's last demand.

All is quiet


Male Dwarven Ranger Lvl 4 | HP 44/45 | AC:16 T:13 FF:13 | BAB +4 Melee:+5 Rng:+7 | Frt:+6 Rflx:+8 Wll:+3/+5* | Init:+3 | Per:+9
STATS:
Climb +7 *(-1/5ft) Handle Animal +8 Know:(Geo)+5 (Nature)+7 Sns Mtv: +4 Stealth +10 Survival +9/11 Swim +1 | Endurance

Even though the Uradurlun have stopped firing their crossbows, they aren't talking either. Neither of these inactions sits well with the ranger and he says as much, Ah donna like it. Peeking his head over the railing, Gwernach draws back the string of his longbow and tries to get a bead on any of the Uradurlun dug in inside. At the first hint of a return to hostility, Gwernach decides he's going to take a shot.

Readied Action:

Readied Action: Long bow attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
Bow Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Sasithorn:
They may be considering given your diplomacy roll. Sweeten the pot? Offer them a cut perhaps? If we could close the gap, we might stand a better chance.

Lantern Lodge

male Wayang Eysterlun Shadowcaster 4 | AC 19*, T 13, FF 17* |HP: 23/23 | F +3, R +3, W +3? | Init +2, P +4 |CMB 0 CMD 12| 1/4 Void Points

Gwernach:
Sounds like a thought, but...a cut of what?
What can we offer? We're in here to verify the presence of a souped-up sphere of annihilation, and the only treasure that's come my way this whole adventure is a bag of bread and cheese. :P

One of the other people who know Uradurlun want to try aiding my Diplomacy roll? '25' sounds like a substantially better number than '23.'


Female Half Elf Inquisitor 4

Uradurlun:
"You do not know what you are dealing with in there - we hold this place to be taboo for a good reason. Leave now, and let us pass, and we will not harm you any further"

Diplomacy (Aid Another): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


I don’t think they are going to be swayed, Parker says, And I’ve never been any good at direct physical confrontations. It might be time to reconsider our plan, maybe look for another way in and hope we can avoid any run in with these people or anyone else who might be occupying the ship.

Parker shrugs, and looks around at everyone’s faces.


Male, old, old, Male

There is an awkward silence, and then a mysterious shadow begins to emerge from the inside of the ship. It appears dark inside the ship but only a patch of shadows near the door. As it moves outward the shadows become an area of dim, and then normal light, reducing the glare of the sun from bright reflections of the floor. A Hobgoblin walks toward you, and the shadows seem to follow him as he comes. He is dressed in Scale Mail armor, and wears a strange, open faced helm. In his left hand he carries a smooth, pale yellow staff.

Identifying the Darkness:
Detect magic/Spellcraft skill checks automatically reveal this is a Darkness spell, and it is moving with the Hobgoblin

A male voice calls out from inside the Darkness The voice is speaking in Uradurlun, those who cannot speak this language cannot understand the message

Uradurlun:
I am Durtank of Iengaroth. I am not here to negotiate, but I will answer your questions if you will answer mine.

The Darkness stops and covers the area between the end of the bridge and the entrance to the ship

Uradurlun:
First, it has been decided that you may enter but only under armed escort, but before you can enter you must tell us what it is you are looking for and I will tell you if it can be found in the areas we know. Second, you are right in that there is much danger here. We have been allowed to claim some of this place under a treaty with the Red Woman. She has paid us to protect this place from intruders and in exchange we have made parts of this place our home. We will not give it up just because of your threats. There are places the Red Woman has said are forbidden, even to us, and we are meant to keep you or anyone else from getting into these places. Why should we allow you to demand that we leave our home? If what you want is here, what can you offer us in exchange for letting you remove it, and how do we know the Red Woman will not destroy us if we help you?

Lantern Lodge

male Wayang Eysterlun Shadowcaster 4 | AC 19*, T 13, FF 17* |HP: 23/23 | F +3, R +3, W +3? | Init +2, P +4 |CMB 0 CMD 12| 1/4 Void Points

Uradurlun:
"Understand that this comes as a surprise to us. I have never known Uradurlun to deal peaceably with others - but I thank you for making the wise choice. We seek...a great, dark orb of great deadly power. We wish only to...prove...to ourselves that it is here. We must know that. We do not seek its power for ourselves. We are not certain who 'the Red Woman' is...unless perhaps you refer to our...travelling companion here." He indicates Yildiri. "We will not...challenge your...entitlement to your home, although if the thing we seek is indeed here, it may be wise for you to seek another home for your own safety. That is no threat on our part. If we do find the orb, our plan, if I am not mistaken, is not that WE will remove it, but that others will: A powerful race from the stars with the power to safely remove the dangerous orb. I suppose that is what we can offer you in exchange: If the orb is not removed, this place will not be safe enough to be your home, but if you allow it to be removed, then it will be safe for you to live here. As for your final question, we would need to know more about the 'Red Woman' to possibly answer that."

Diplomacy, Void point: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20


Parker fixes his eyes on Yildiri and asks her, quietly

What are they talking about?


Female Half Elf Inquisitor 4

Yildiri replies.

"They say they'll let us in, but only under armed escort, and they need to know what we're looking for first. They say the 'Red Woman' pays them to protect this place and keep out intruders and allows them to live there. Who the 'Red Woman' is, I don't know. Let me think"

Knowledge (Local) - untrained: 1d20 ⇒ 13


Male, old, old, Male

Yildiri:
Your people do not interact in any way with Uradurluns that would result in learning anything about their situations, but scouts, hunters, and others who often come close to the giant metal building have seen a tall, human like woman with gleaming metallic-red skin, and flowing black hair, around the structure. She is usually in the company of Uradurluns, and sometimes a golden-skinned shorter woman. This red skinned woman could be who the Uradulun is talking about, but other than what she looks like, you know nothing about her.


Male Dwarven Ranger Lvl 4 | HP 44/45 | AC:16 T:13 FF:13 | BAB +4 Melee:+5 Rng:+7 | Frt:+6 Rflx:+8 Wll:+3/+5* | Init:+3 | Per:+9
STATS:
Climb +7 *(-1/5ft) Handle Animal +8 Know:(Geo)+5 (Nature)+7 Sns Mtv: +4 Stealth +10 Survival +9/11 Swim +1 | Endurance

The tension in Gwernach's bowstring tightens at the approach of the male Uradurlunian(?). Suspecting a trap the dwarf decides to keep his arrow aimed directly at the gap in the stranger's odd shaped helm, Ah ain't go'n down with'ot giv'n ya a world o'urt bub.
Yildiri's update gives Gwernach some hope but not a lot, Red woman? Gwernach repeats incredulously, then getting a little side tracked offers up a small antic dote, Ya mean like ging'r? Ya know Ah once knew'a real picara, marchael type an all! Gwernach grins and throws a cheeky wink before turning his eye back to the staff wielding hobgoblin. Taking up a serious tone Gwernach offers his own assessment of the hobgoblin's 'arrangement', Ba no thas one. No, tha lass in there sounds a real piece; keep'n them as'er slaves mo'like. Does E'know tha ging'r's play'n 'em forra dolt? Was she got'on'em? Bett'ya they'll change thar tune once they see tha light.

Aid another Diplomacy with a suggestion: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19 - Translation/suggestion: Gwernach believes the Red woman is playing these hobgoblin's as her patsies.
Perhaps we can tilt the table in our favor by trying to change their attitude toward her? We should ask more about her, find a sore spot.

Terq: As I understand it, Aid Another can be used to give (Sasithorn) +2 on the next roll of the required skill check. Rather than adding directly to the skill (or in this case the conversation), the assistance can be indirect, such as offering advice or simply by doing a little grunt work.


Female Half Elf Inquisitor 4
Yildiri Carakeju wrote:

Yildiri replies.

"They say they'll let us in, but only under armed escort, and they need to know what we're looking for first. They say the 'Red Woman' pays them to protect this place and keep out intruders and allows them to live there. Who the 'Red Woman' is, I don't know. Let me think"

[dice=Knowledge (Local) - untrained] 1d20

"Ah, yes. Some of our outrunners have seen her - tall, with skin like scarlet metal and long black hair, in company with the gulyabaniler - but I can recall nothing else about her"


Male, old, old, Male

The Uradulun in the shadows listens patiently as Sasithorn explains, while Parker moves closer to Yildiri, in order to hear everything she tells him about what is being said.

When Sasithorn is finished, Durtank bows his head, and then stands tall as he answers

Uradurlun:
I can assure you that no such dark orb of power can be found in any of the places where our people are allowed to go. Know this, Wayang, we outnumber you, and we know this place well enough to defend it from you or any marauders from the stars. There are places inside where we are warned not to go. The Red Woman, she is the master of this place, has warned us of its dangers, but has never mentioned any such danger as this orb you are talking about. But, I do not want a battle here with you, or any of the Eysturluns or their allies. I will summon the red Woman’s consort, and you can ask her if this orb is here. If anyone will know it will be her. Wait on the bridge. Do not come any closer or we will consider it an attack on our home.[/b]

Lantern Lodge

male Wayang Eysterlun Shadowcaster 4 | AC 19*, T 13, FF 17* |HP: 23/23 | F +3, R +3, W +3? | Init +2, P +4 |CMB 0 CMD 12| 1/4 Void Points

Sasithorn sighs, an even mixture of relief and frustration, and turns to the others.

"I don't know how I did it, but I made something resembling a deal: They won't let us go any farther, or they will attack, BUT they have promised to bring us 'the Red Woman's consort,' who we may ASK about the sphere. What concerns me, of course, is that the Red Woman - they say she is 'master of this place' - well, she keeps a lot of secrets. She dictates where they may go in this place, and seems to keep them informed on a 'need-to-know' basis. She never told them about any sphere. I...I just hope she's more forthcoming with us."


Female Half Elf Inquisitor 4

"I do not trust the gulyabaniler, and I do not trust whoever pays them, but we shall see", says Yildiri, in a quiet voice.


Male Dwarven Ranger Lvl 4 | HP 44/45 | AC:16 T:13 FF:13 | BAB +4 Melee:+5 Rng:+7 | Frt:+6 Rflx:+8 Wll:+3/+5* | Init:+3 | Per:+9
STATS:
Climb +7 *(-1/5ft) Handle Animal +8 Know:(Geo)+5 (Nature)+7 Sns Mtv: +4 Stealth +10 Survival +9/11 Swim +1 | Endurance

Gwernach spits over the side of the bridge, Ah donna like it. Wait 'ere?! Sounds lik'a trap ta me gents. Not wanting to leave Yildiri out, the dwarf throws her a quick nod of inclusion. Wa's stopp'n Ging'r Girl from blow'n tha bridge, an us with it?

sense motive: I've got a bad feeling about this...: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21


Male, old, old, Male

Gwernach:
You don’t know these “Uradurluns” but they seem to have a lot in common with Hobgoblins, as you know them, back where you are from. What you know about them, is that they are usually cruel, and violent, but follow strict codes of honor, and work under strict hierarchies. You cannot shake the feeling that even though it seems like these negotiations will go on, probably without incident, something terrible is about to go down. It is a feeling from your toes to the pit of your stomach.

A good long amount of time passes, waiting in the shade of the covered bridge.

There are no more threats from the Uradurluns inside and just when you are about to consider that maybe you’ve been played for fools. A strange, attractive, golden-skinned woman appears on the other end of the bridge, coming from inside the ship.

She is dressed in a skin-tight jump suit. Her hair reflects the golden light of the sun and her features remind you of a tall elven, Drasbian woman, though this woman is so thin as to appear frail.

The woman walks straight toward your position, a smile is on her face. When she is a few feet from you she stops, puts her hands, palm upward, out in front of her, and says, in common


Auto-function Intermediary Medical Emergency Assistant

Welcome, strangers. My name is AIMEA and I was told you have questions that were troubling to our Urandulurn homesteaders. I want to assure you that you are in no immediate danger from myself, our homesteaders, or the ships damaged systems in any way, however, it is not safe for you to remain. I speak on behalf of my Mistress, the Red Mysterion. She would not be pleased with your intrusion here, and I can assure you that when she returns she will most likely order an attack against you, unless you have already left the area. I would be delighted to help you with any questions you might have, but I do have other responsibilities so I cannot tarry long. How can I help you today?

Lantern Lodge

male Wayang Eysterlun Shadowcaster 4 | AC 19*, T 13, FF 17* |HP: 23/23 | F +3, R +3, W +3? | Init +2, P +4 |CMB 0 CMD 12| 1/4 Void Points

Sasithorn turns back to Parker.

"Do you know anything about what she's talking about? How are your people supposed to remove the sphere if they won't let anyone in?"


Parker turns his head so as to try and direct his words to the group without giving away too much to the woman waiting patiently

This woman is an android, a machine, much like our friend Marvin here. Her name stands for her function, Auto-function, Intermediary Medical Emergency Assistant - a simple sort of artificial life form programed to be of assistance to more qualified medical personnel. That she is still functioning is a mystery, and who she is talking about, this Red Mysterion, I have no clue who that is. Let's see if she knows anything useful to us.

Aimea, my name is Parker Anderson, and I was sent her on behalf of the people who originally owned and operated the Contagion, the ship. I'll come right to the point. I believe this ship is hiding a Black Globe Generator. Do you know if that is true, and where the generator is located? Because for a very long time no one has been able to verify the condition of this ship, and right now the United Consortium of Planetary Governments is sending a squadron of system defense boats and an eight hundred ton cruiser here to recover that generator, and when they come, your homesteaders and your Mysterion won't be able to stop them. I wan't to help you if I can. If we can identify the generator, establish its location, and negotiate its turnover to the IRS, I think we can avoid a whole lot of trouble here.


Male, old, old, Male

Marvin:
I know you have been busy, but before you respond to anything said by Parker or the other android, give me a little time to draft a PM to you that will help guide you in decisions you might make regarding who you are and how you came to be what you are now


Auto-function Intermediary Medical Emergency Assistant

The woman looks pleasantly surprised

Oh, is that what you are looking for? It was removed from the ship a very long time ago. The Red Mysterion determined that it would be dangerous, and could better be put to use in a safer location. It was moved,

She raises her right arm until it is parallel with the ground and with one finger points back across the bridge.

It was taken there. To the vault, I understand. I am not permitted to enter that place, and I have no information about it, other than that the Red Mysterion has on many occasions returned from there in a highly damaged state. It is a place of strange mazes and terrible monsters, but it is where the red Mysterion goes to find inspiration. The generator, and all of its associated control devices, was moved there, for everyone’s safety.


Parker’s jaw drops slightly, So it is true, he sighs. With one hand he scratches his head, and then asks. If the red Mysterion will not be returning anytime soon, I wonder if you, with your Homesteaders escorting me, could show me the location where the generator was connected to the ships systems?

While the woman is considering the request he turns again to the rest of you, and says quietly

I need to at least put my eyes on the connection points for the generators equipment, maybe get a few pictures. If they let me in, I want to ask the rest of you to head to the entrance of that temple, maybe scout the entrance, but be careful. Get an idea of how dangerous it is to go in there, and when I get done, we’ll figure out if it is worth the effort to head into the temple and find the generator.

He takes a step closer to Yildiri and says I know you have some misgivings about that place. I’m not asking you to violate your peoples taboos, I just want to know how dangerous it is.

Lantern Lodge

male Wayang Eysterlun Shadowcaster 4 | AC 19*, T 13, FF 17* |HP: 23/23 | F +3, R +3, W +3? | Init +2, P +4 |CMB 0 CMD 12| 1/4 Void Points

Sasithorn smiles a big, enigmatic grin. "I KNEW this would happen."


Female Half Elf Inquisitor 4
Parker Andersen wrote:


He takes a step closer to Yildiri and says I know you have some misgivings about that place. I’m not asking you to violate your peoples taboos, I just want to know how dangerous it is.

"We do not enter it for a reason", replies Yildiri, in an undertone. "It is very dangerous, and having the gulyabaniler and this 'Red Woman' seemingly in charge of it does not reassure me at all"


Male Dwarven Ranger Lvl 4 | HP 44/45 | AC:16 T:13 FF:13 | BAB +4 Melee:+5 Rng:+7 | Frt:+6 Rflx:+8 Wll:+3/+5* | Init:+3 | Per:+9
STATS:
Climb +7 *(-1/5ft) Handle Animal +8 Know:(Geo)+5 (Nature)+7 Sns Mtv: +4 Stealth +10 Survival +9/11 Swim +1 | Endurance

Gwernach stares at A.I.M.E.A as the android and Parker speak, wondering how all of her, dimensions, manages to get into such a skimpy outfit. Peeking a glance over at MARVIN's androgyny, the dwarf puzzles, Ah thought they'd al'look like 'im, before returning to gaze at AIMEA, So much gold...
Wait. Wha?! Picking up the conversation Gwernach's eyes narrow now that he realizes where Parker's sending them, Great.
Folding his arms irritably Gwernach addresses the golden beauty, AIMEA, yar auto-funk-shing, right? Mean'n ya can make up ya own mind. So, are ya requir'd ta show Park'r 'ere to thas connect'rs? or can some'un else do it? Looking in Parker's direction the dwarf elaborates, If ya'r und'r escort, ya won'na be need'n a medic lad. We, on tha oth'r hand, are head'n in ta real dang'r. AIMEA's skill'd hands could be of use. Should, one of us, geet 'urt...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Android Gunslinger (Musket Master)/4 | AC 18, T 15, FF 13 | HP: 42/46 | F+5, R+8, W+3 | Init+6, P+11 | CMD 19

Red… Mysterion…" Marvin looked preoccupied, deep in their thoughts upon the mention of the name by AIMEA. The light of their eyes flickers into a haze, attempts to retrieve related information in their memory being forcibly stopped by bad requests, fatal errors, or some other exception. It's like their system defines that name as a parameter whose presence indicates a condition where it cannot operate safely. To an android which processes emotions as data, and sometimes data as emotions, the repeated attempts to abort any thought relating to the name and the inability to understand it gives Marvin blatant unease.

This reminds them of the feeling most of their interaction protocols invoke, but on a lesser scale. Their protocols involving other beings were what some would call paranoid, always assuming threat from any action directed at them and thus resulting in less efficiency in team situations, but their system's logic had accepted that this way of thinking would have been more useful to a solitary unit. It made sense to be uneased with any situation not proven to be friendly, but could the reason for his threat-first interaction protocols been have something else?

AIMEA's protocol-based behavior should have been more comforting to another android, but Marvin only felt more unease. They stay behind the party, their grip tight and ready around their musket. "This… this unit does not recommend prolonged stay." Their voice is low, directed only at their party. Though they speak in the same monotone, the halting words, as if hesitant, add a wary inflection. "The Re… Red Woman's location is unknown and she may return at any time. Her danger is estimated to be of the highest level. This ship and the temple's danger is relatedly estimated to be of similar risk."


Auto-function Intermediary Medical Emergency Assistant

Aimea seems to take no notice of Marvin, while smiling at Gwernach

I'm sorry I do not understand your reference. I am forbidden from entering that place. I...cannot... agree to accompany you.

Something seems to affect the woman's demeanor, a slight twitch flickers across her left cheek

The twitch last for several moments, and then stops

If you are in need of medical assistance the ship's primary care facilities have been restored to a limited functional condition and I may be able to render aid if you wish to accompany me. I'm afraid that all of the ship's supplies that would be of use in first aid of triage parameters have been exhausted or have exceeded their expiration limitations and I would not be allowed to use them to help you, but basic diagnostic and recuperation equipment is functioning.


I think we've got a opportunity here and we need to move quickly Parker says

Aimea, please show me the installation location of the black globe generator before it was removed from the ship.

Parker turns to Gwernach, Sasithorn, Yildiri, and Marvin and says

I think I'll be fine. I'll be in and out as quickly as I can. Meanwhile, see what is the deal with that temple. It can't be too large. While I'm with Aimea I'll try to find out when this Red Woman is expected to return, but believe me, time is not on our side. I may have exaggerated about the UCoIG response, but I've no doubt they are inbound. We have at most a few days before this whole area is turned into a quarantined demilitarized zone


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Half Elf Inquisitor 4

Yildiri furrows her brow at Parker's words

demili... quaranti... what?!

And looks unhappy at the mention of examining the temple.

"I will have to do penance after penance if I go in... If I ever come out again..."


Male Dwarven Ranger Lvl 4 | HP 44/45 | AC:16 T:13 FF:13 | BAB +4 Melee:+5 Rng:+7 | Frt:+6 Rflx:+8 Wll:+3/+5* | Init:+3 | Per:+9
STATS:
Climb +7 *(-1/5ft) Handle Animal +8 Know:(Geo)+5 (Nature)+7 Sns Mtv: +4 Stealth +10 Survival +9/11 Swim +1 | Endurance

With an expression that says, 'the person ahead of you just took the last one', Gwernach stows his bow and turns to face the direction of the temple's entrance. Summing up the approach the dwarf pauses for a moment then shrugging his shoulders turns to AIMEA, We're gonna needda time frame. 'Ow long do-ya think yu an Parker a'gonna be? Should we me'back 'ere? Call on-ya chums there, Gwernach points in the direction of the Uradurluns, or will ya send Parker in aft'r us?

Feels a bit like taking a trip to the mall - everyone meet at the food court in an hour! :)) But seriously. How much time is enough to decide how dangerous the temple is?


Android Gunslinger (Musket Master)/4 | AC 18, T 15, FF 13 | HP: 42/46 | F+5, R+8, W+3 | Init+6, P+11 | CMD 19

Marvin's face looks tense before it suddenly loosens. However, their grip on their musket remains as tight as ever. "If the party insists on proceeding, this unit recommends great caution in scouting. Immediate retreat and regroup is advised in the event of danger."


Auto-function Intermediary Medical Emergency Assistant

The woman finally lowers her hand, and turns over her palm, offering it to Parker.

I can show you the place where the generator was installed. It would be a pleasure.


Parker turns and winks at the rest of you, and before taking the androids hand, he says quietly

We have the short range communicators, remember. Here let me show you how they work.

Parker takes a moment to show the group how to turn on the communicator, and how it basically works, and then says

Just keep it turned on. The power cell should keep it working as long as it is in the light of the sun. Once the sun goes down, or if you go into the temple, it will last probably twelve hours. I’ll contact you before then. Just be careful.

With that he leaves with Aimea

With nothing else to do for a while, do you go back across the bridge, and then approach the temple entrance to “check it out”?


Male Dwarven Ranger Lvl 4 | HP 44/45 | AC:16 T:13 FF:13 | BAB +4 Melee:+5 Rng:+7 | Frt:+6 Rflx:+8 Wll:+3/+5* | Init:+3 | Per:+9
STATS:
Climb +7 *(-1/5ft) Handle Animal +8 Know:(Geo)+5 (Nature)+7 Sns Mtv: +4 Stealth +10 Survival +9/11 Swim +1 | Endurance

Gwernach pays close attention to Parker's instructions for the talking boxes. Leary of the source of their power, the dwarf non-the-less keeps his handy, tucking it securely upon one of the utility harness's straps.
Watching to two leave, Gwernach turns to the others, Best get'on with it, would'ya like me ta lead tha way?
Retracing his steps across the bridge, and careful not to look down, Gwernach cautiously makes his way towards the temple entrance

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27 - +2 for unusual stone work


Female Half Elf Inquisitor 4

Yildiri appears to have her eyes closed, and is praying almost silently in her own language.

Spoiler:
"Tanrıça, bana güç verin. Tanrıça, dinle beni. Tanrıça, beni nazikçe yargılar; Senin adına tehlikeyi avlıyorum"

She opens her eyes briefly, nods at Gwernach, then follows him towards the temple entrance, still praying, but looking about at the same time with a distracted, worried expression on her face.


Male, old, old, Male

There doesn’t appear to be any hurry, no reason to rush, as the four characters slowly approach the twenty foot wide opening in the wall of the canyon.

On either side of what looks like a built up or certainly worked edifice are two tall cylindrical columns of dark stone and as soon as the group gets near, Gwernach knows something special about this stone that was used for the columns.

Gwernach:
The stone used to make the columns that flank the entrance here are a type of stone found with deposits of iron, it is called, by the dwarves of Holdandun, “break Iron” or “glass iron”. It is a type of rock that is harder than iron, but very brittle. To see it in this much quantity is remarkable, not to mention the decision to utilize it as a column supporting a stonework beam above. This type of stone is not normally used like this, and it has never been found in solid pieces this large to your memory. If you approach it you will be able to see that the columns are actually made up of discs of stone, one fitted on top of another, shaped to near identical diameter and fitted so closely as to make the seam, seem almost impossible to see. The beam above the columns appears to be a type of black and brown marble (the columns are made from Hematite)

When you reach the symbol painted on the ground in front of the entrance each of you feels a warm, comforting feeling. Crossing the symbol and approaching the entrance the warm comforting feeling soon fades and a cold “alien” feeling begins to creep into your bones.

The entrance is twenty feet wide and fifteen feet high and there is enough light shining to illuminate a natural cavern on the other side of the entrance. In the shadows, some thirty feet past the entrance you can see a wall which has been “built up” with stones two feet on each side made from dark granite. Set in this wall is a pair of doors, but what those doors are made from you cannot tell without entering the cavern and getting closer.


Male Dwarven Ranger Lvl 4 | HP 44/45 | AC:16 T:13 FF:13 | BAB +4 Melee:+5 Rng:+7 | Frt:+6 Rflx:+8 Wll:+3/+5* | Init:+3 | Per:+9
STATS:
Climb +7 *(-1/5ft) Handle Animal +8 Know:(Geo)+5 (Nature)+7 Sns Mtv: +4 Stealth +10 Survival +9/11 Swim +1 | Endurance

The sight of the columns causes Gwernach's pace to slow as his eyes scan the lengths of each. A puzzled looks morphs to grave concern, Ah donna like thas. Pointing to the columns the dwarf explains, Thas' Holdandun, a dwarv'n ward mean'n break iron or glass iron. Tis a very brittle met'l, not usual'lay us'd in construct'n. An see those beams? Gwernach points up to the horizontal support beams, Thas Hema-tite. Tis bett'r us'd in woman's jewl'ry though Ah've heard it us'd by heal'rs 'swell. Anoth'r strange choice iffya ask me. Folding his arms in front of him and frowning at the entire place in disappointment the ranger passes perhaps a premature judgement, Poor'lay made place this.
Moving on, the dwarf warily makes his way towards the dark granite wall and the pair of doors.
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15 ... +2 for stone work

If that is not enough, and as there is no immediate danger just yet, Gwernach will start by take 10 on the door for a total of 19, taking 20 if he has to.


Android Gunslinger (Musket Master)/4 | AC 18, T 15, FF 13 | HP: 42/46 | F+5, R+8, W+3 | Init+6, P+11 | CMD 19

Marvin's hands grip their musket, always at the ready as they walk. They look down and observe the symbol they crossed before scanning the cavern and the doors cautiously.

Upon Gwernach's words, Marvin assesses the construction for themselves.
Knowledge (engineering): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


Male, old, old, Male

Gwernatch passes through the portal cautiously, heading toward the doors at the far wall in the shadows, while Marvin pauses to examine the peculiar columns

Marvin:
These hematite columns appear unusual in this application, but you can determine nothing out of place. You have a suspicion that the block of stone resting across the two columns might, in fact, be hollow, in order for the whole assembly to have remained standing for such a long period of time.

Gwernatch finds the doors set in the artificial stone wall of the cavern are in fact made from an exotic, hard wood, polished smooth and coated with a thick layer of some kind of dark resin material which shows some small damage in places where it looks as if someone may have hit the wood with an axe or other small blade. Here, in these places, he can see that the wood below the stain is a deep, dark red in color.

The doors have no handles, no rings to pull, and are closed shut with no more than a hairs width of a gap between them. On the bottom there is a gap of about one inch while you cannot see if there is a similar gap at the top.

The doors have strong iron hinges, molded into plates that are nailed to the doors at each side. Each nail is two inches across the head, and in fact may be rivets rather than nails but you cannot tell until you see the other sides of the doors. Given the arrangement of the hinge plates, you suspect that the doors must be pushed open from the other side, might be pride open from this side with a strong tool inserted in the gap at the bottom.


Android Gunslinger (Musket Master)/4 | AC 18, T 15, FF 13 | HP: 42/46 | F+5, R+8, W+3 | Init+6, P+11 | CMD 19

Marvin assesses the door for themselves, checking for traps. Upon confidence that there is no danger in investigation, they start feeling the door with their hands, knocking on it lightly to listen both for thickness and danger.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25
I'll also take 20 if applicable.

"A tool will be required to open this door."

Marvin scans the area to see if any such tool lied nearby.


Female Half Elf Inquisitor 4

An observant onlooker might see a faintly relieved expression on Yildiri's face.

"I can see nothing that might serve, myself"


Male Dwarven Ranger Lvl 4 | HP 44/45 | AC:16 T:13 FF:13 | BAB +4 Melee:+5 Rng:+7 | Frt:+6 Rflx:+8 Wll:+3/+5* | Init:+3 | Per:+9
STATS:
Climb +7 *(-1/5ft) Handle Animal +8 Know:(Geo)+5 (Nature)+7 Sns Mtv: +4 Stealth +10 Survival +9/11 Swim +1 | Endurance

Kneeling down, Gwernach peers under the door checking the gap.
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
If all is clear, the dwarf tries using his fingers at the bottom of the door to see if he can't pry it open enough for someone to pry a dagger into the widening gap between the two doors and wedge them apart/open.


Male, old, old, Male
Gwernach wrote:


Diddo...but a bit extra:

1 weight nullifier, 1 respirator, 1 utility harness, 1 length of rope, two personal restraint systems, 1 short-range communication device, 1 of those portable power systems with multi-configuration adapters and a multi-tool.

Whistles as he passes by, the Generic DM reminds everyone of some gear they might be carrying around...


Male Dwarven Ranger Lvl 4 | HP 44/45 | AC:16 T:13 FF:13 | BAB +4 Melee:+5 Rng:+7 | Frt:+6 Rflx:+8 Wll:+3/+5* | Init:+3 | Per:+9
STATS:
Climb +7 *(-1/5ft) Handle Animal +8 Know:(Geo)+5 (Nature)+7 Sns Mtv: +4 Stealth +10 Survival +9/11 Swim +1 | Endurance

Guilty of being technologically challenged...
Remembering his new acquired gear, Gwernach searches his utility harness for the thing Parker called a 'multi-tool'. Removing it from the harness, the dwarf fiddles with some of its attachments, looking for something which might help.
Untrained tool skill check+Int: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15


Male, old, old, Male

What began one night just over a week ago with the sudden appearance of dark, shadow creatures attacking the coastal village of Connie’s Bright, then the revelation of a mysterious entity conducting experiments on unwilling subjects in the Moors to the west of the village, which lead to the discovery of a monstrous creature known only as the Strangler of the Shadow moor, has now brought a small group of strangers with barely any knowledge of each other to a pair of massive, dark wooden doors set deep inside a cave on the southern canyon wall of the Great Canyon of Kizjta. A local hunter and mysterious guardian of this place, Yildiri watches nervously as a young dwarven ranger by the name of Gwernach assembles a metal tool he hopes will be able to pry at least one of the doors open from the outside. The mysterious copper skinned individual known only as Marvin, keeps a watch in the direction of the cave entrance as occasional images of a mysterious past he cannot recall flicker in his mind. And finally, Sasithorn, a man with his own mysterious past with some understanding of the perils involved in dealing with the realm of shadows and ancient stories of the retribution of offended goddesses, peers at the doors barely able to conceal his excitement as it overcomes his concerns. What lies beyond these doors is said to be of such incredible danger and malignancy, that it is said in hushed whispers that few who enter ever return and those that do are often changed beyond recognition.

Kizjta, The Great Canyon, at the Temple of Shadows

Day 8, Thursday (midday)

Gwernach peers under the door, wondering if there is a way to try and pry it open, and then suddenly remembers the multi-part tool he stashed in his pack.

He stands, and without so much as a ‘how do you do,’ he throws the three pieces of the tool onto the floor as he retrieves each piece from his pack.

The dwarf folds his arms and stares at the pieces for only a moment, and then snaps his fingers, reaches down and takes two parts, quickly fitting them together with a snap, and then fixing the heavy head to one end of the tool he admires his work, seeing he has assembled a sturdy pry bar, with a heavy, flat and pointed, angled head that will easily fit under the gap of the door and should provide all the leverage he needs to jack the door open a few inches at a time until it clears the other door and someone can get their hands behind it to finish opening it.


Male Dwarven Ranger Lvl 4 | HP 44/45 | AC:16 T:13 FF:13 | BAB +4 Melee:+5 Rng:+7 | Frt:+6 Rflx:+8 Wll:+3/+5* | Init:+3 | Per:+9
STATS:
Climb +7 *(-1/5ft) Handle Animal +8 Know:(Geo)+5 (Nature)+7 Sns Mtv: +4 Stealth +10 Survival +9/11 Swim +1 | Endurance

With a shrug and a sideways glance to the others as though to say, 'Here goes!', Gwernach puts the tool to work opening the door.

Perception beyond the door: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28


Android Gunslinger (Musket Master)/4 | AC 18, T 15, FF 13 | HP: 42/46 | F+5, R+8, W+3 | Init+6, P+11 | CMD 19

Marvin clutches their musket tightly, putting aside the faint memory images to ready themselves for what awaited behind the door.


Female Half Elf Inquisitor 4

Yildiri looks on with a worried expression, fiddling with the handle of her mace and chewing her lip.

"There may be a good reason why we have been shut out of here", she offers.


Male, old, old, Male

The door opens slowly and silently under the steady work of the pry bar in Gwernach’s hands. When nit is opened far enough for him to get a hand behind it, he drops the bar to the side, and pulls.

Warm dry air blows out through the door, as if the air beyond the doors is even hotter than the air of the desert above*

You open the door far enough for the whole group to get a look at what lies beyond.

Before you is a vast chamber, with a floor finished in black polished stones. You cannot see if there is a wall in the distance, and from the doorway it appears that the room goes on and on into the shadows straight ahead, and to either side.

At first you think it is completely dark beyond the doors, but slowly your eyes adjust and you begin to see a faint bluish glow fills the room. This glow comes from a source you cannot see to the left and to the right.

Poking your head just a little past the door you look left and right and see a wall, thirty feet away twenty feet long that seems to suggest that this cavernous room has two alcoves just a short distance to the left and the right after passing the doors.

I will post a map of the area tonight

*The heat:
Only Yildiri knows that the desert floor above the canyon is normally quite hot (you can compare it to the desert around the Grand Canyon in Arizona, USA). However, as the sled landed at the bottom of the canyon, and your group ascended only a short distance up the southern canyon wall, you have actually found it to be comfortable so far. The heat coming out of the door as it opened was warm, but not dangerously uncomfortable. It is a dry heat

1,251 to 1,300 of 1,307 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Strangler of the Shadow Moor All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.