Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

The Sinister Secrets of Sandpoint (Inactive)

Game Master TheHairyAvenger

A Beginner Box game set in Sandpoint and its environs.


101 to 150 of 590 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Tamilius's bolt of magic energy struck the ogre hard on the chest and elicited a roar of pain and anger.

Trapper wrote:
So Trapper should be 30 feet away now, right? He can move 20 feet. Can he move the 20 feet and attack with the short sword? If so, the melee roll was a 14 (see above). If not, I will have Trapper simply move within striking range.

He can move the 20 feet (so he's covered 30 feet of the 40 feet to the ogre) but the jump was one action already so he can't attack (he needs to be 5 feet closer to attack anyway). He is, however, within the ogre's 10 ft attack reach.

Talberon Toil wrote:
As he scampered up to Old Ben he was bordering on panic, "Come on, we have to move... now!"

Ben had been frozen into place by the sudden emergence of the ogre, but Talberon's cry sent him and his customer's scrambling for the shelter of the doss-house.

Belethor wrote:

Belethor jumps from his seat and draws his longsword.

He bellows to the Watchman "DRAW YOUR SWORD AND FIGHT WITH US!!!"

Belethor's command goaded the Fat Watchman into action. With one hand he clumsily drew a sword while running to toward the ogre. With the other trembling hand he brought a signal whistle to his lips and blew a piercing note. His face was white with fear.

Belethor has moved next to Maya and Gozer at He. The Fat Watchman is at Gg, Ben and the others are in a flat out run so they are at the door of the doss-house.

Gozer has stood and drawn his sword so he can still take a move action. Belethor has only taken a five foot step so I'll assume the rest of his turn will be keeping up with Maya so he will end up adjacent to her wherever she should move.


Human Human Fighter 1

Well if Maya can take an action beyond drawing her blade and getting up, she will move out toward the center of the marketplace, and start taunting the ogre, trying to lure it in her direction, so she can hopefully lead it down to the docks and ideally off the edge of the pier.

She's not sure if it speaks common, but she starts shouting, waving her sword and making rude gestures.

You fat slug. It looks like your head came out of a horse's ass. I bet your sister and your mother are the same ugly sow!

She has no real idea how to insult an ogre, but that was the best she could come up with.

Charisma Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1
Tippo Dakar wrote:

Trapper wrote:
So Trapper should be 30 feet away now, right? He can move 20 feet. Can he move the 20 feet and attack with the short sword? If so, the melee roll was a 14 (see above). If not, I will have Trapper simply move within striking range.

He can move the 20 feet (so he's covered 30 feet of the 40 feet to the ogre) but the jump was one action already so he can't attack (he needs to be 5 feet closer to attack anyway). He is, however, within the ogre's 10 ft attack reach.

Trapper stares as a dead human's body is hurled through Dyer's Square and hits the man with the clumsy sword. Trapper's eyes go wide as he realizes the shadow he's under is the ogre's arm.

Torag's Teeth! I'm too close to the forge!

@GM Tippo -- If Trapper moved 30 feet, then he is at "Ke" and the Ogre is at "Me"
Is this correct?

@Maya -- Why would you do a Charisma check here?


Human Human Fighter 1

To taunt the ogre and try to get its attention, so that it will hopefully start making its way to the pier, though with others attacking it that might not happen. It might be dumb enough to come after me and provoke some opportunity attacks.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1
Maya Harlech wrote:
To taunt the ogre and try to get its attention, so that it will hopefully start making its way to the pier, though with others attacking it that might not happen. It might be dumb enough to come after me and provoke some opportunity attacks.

.

.
Thanks for the explanation.
So, I'm guessing that our GM would have DC values for a lot of situations, where you can use your stats to determine success/failure? (Although, accusing an ogre's family of incest is probably not covered in the CRB, huh?)


Male Human Barbarian / 1

Usually GMs will have stats for certain situations. However with the way players react and their unpredictability as shown by Maya and her probably extremely accurate :-) name calling, a GM will usually make one up on the spot including the NPC's own stats.

Unfortunately with its ten foot reach you wouldn't get one Maya. It can stop ten feet away and at that point not be in your threat range. Or you could get lucky and he could charge you, lol. ;-)


male human
Gozer "Bone Splitter" wrote:

Usually GMs will have stats for certain situations. However with the way players react and their unpredictability as shown by Maya and her probably extremely accurate :-) name calling, a GM will usually make one up on the spot including the NPC's own stats.

Unfortunately with its ten foot reach you wouldn't get one Maya. It can stop ten feet away and at that point not be in your threat range. Or you could get lucky and he could charge you, lol. ;-)

It wouldn't get one from me, but maybe Trapper or the guard.

Normally I would try to use a skill check, but I didn't see a skill that really fit with what I was trying to do, so I defaulted to the attribute I thought best. If the GM wants me to roll some other check instead for the action I'll be told.


Male Human Cleric/1
Tippo wrote:
Belethor's command goaded the Fat Watchman into action. With one hand he clumsily drew a sword while running to toward the ogre. With the other trembling hand he brought a signal whistle to his lips and blew a piercing note. His face was white with fear.

Well if that and the stench of this ogre doesn't attract the guards I don't know what will. Now just to try not to die...

Belethor's sword shakes slightly as he raises it in preparation for the fight to come.


Maya Harlech wrote:


You fat slug. It looks like your head came out of a horse's ass. I bet your sister and your mother are the same ugly sow!

The ogre bellows back, "I crax you skull and eats you brains!"


back to the top of the initiative:


  • Talberon (24) [Ki]
  • Ogre (17) [Me]
  • Tamilius (14) [He]
  • Trapper (13) [Le]
  • Ben and the Bystanders* (12) [Nm]
  • Belethor (9) [He]
  • Fat Watchman (7) [Fg]
  • Gozer (6) [He]
  • Maya (4) [He]

If I have your map coordinates wrong, let me know.


Human Human Fighter 1

Maya had tried to move more to the middle of the square, so I think she's more at "Hi"

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

Trapper twists his head around, makes a desperate gesture about his vulnerable position practically underneath the ogre, and then mouths to Talberon,
"Do something!


Male Human Wizard / 1st

Below is a map I made based on DM's locations and Maya's response. I am a visual thinker. Let me know if I am way off.
:::THE MAP I MADE:::

Talberon, seeing the Dwarf he just met mouthing encouragement to him, sprung into action. He reared back with the dagger in his right hand and loosed it at the large beast, not expecting to bring it down, but in hopes of drawing its attention...

Ranged Attack and Damage:: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 111d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Then took off towards the docks to the South, switching his second dagger from his left hand to his right as he moved.

'What in the nine hells are you doing Talby?!' he thought to himself. It was all that he could think of doing, at that particular moment, and others were counting on him.

Moved from [Ki] to [Qj]

EDIT: I updated the map figuring all the people listed as being in [He] would actually be around a table in [He]. Thoughts?::NEW IMPROVED MAP::


Human Human Fighter 1

Bump. I guess we are waiting on that pesky ogre.


Talberon's dagger whipped by the pesky ogre's head, distracting him for a moment before he turned his attention to the dwarf before him. His fists slammed down at Trapper.

Ogre punch and non-lethal damage should he hit
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 221d4 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8


Male Human Wizard/1

Tamilius casts Ray of Frost 1d20 ⇒ 15 1d3 ⇒ 2 I've never made a ranged touch attack before. I guess I roll 1d20, but do I add anything to it? My Dex gives +1 on ranged attacks so add that if needed.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

Trapper collapses to the ground, disabled.

Trapper's hp = 0


male human
Tamilius Zantamia wrote:

Tamilius casts Ray of Frost 1d20 1d3 I've never made a ranged touch attack before. I guess I roll 1d20, but do I add anything to it? My Dex gives +1 on ranged attacks so add that if needed.

You would add your dex modifier and your BaB, which is 0 for a level 1 wizard. You'd be adding +1 to the roll. However. I guarantee that even without the +1 you would hit an ogre's touch AC with a 15. Unless it was a super dextrous ogre monk or some such nonsense.

The wizards are slowly taking it down. I guess us warrior types should do something soon.


Male Human Cleric/1

Belethor rushes forward 10 feet and with a grunt stabs his longsword into the ground. Light and energy rush from the point of impact to envelop all those within range.

Healing: 1d6 ⇒ 6

Lifting his sword he rushes forward another 10 feet.

Casting the channel energy at square eI so should heal Trapper but not the Ogre I hope :) and then move another 10 feet to eJ. I think I can do this if not just remain at eI.


A blue ray arced out of Tamilius' extended hand and struck the ogre in the shoulder leaving a livid mark where the cold damaged the tissue. A look of pain crossed his face, but was quickly replaced by a mask of rage.


Ben shoved the owner of the doss-house inside then picked up the broom she'd been using. "Bar the door!" he shouted over his shoulder as he turned to face the square, protectively holding the broom in front of him.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

Question: See discussion board

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

Trapper trembles with a pain like he's never felt, followed immediately by overwhelming relief from the same agony.
He shakes his head from side to side, trying to figure out what happened.

Torag's tongue! I haven't felt this weird since I drank that keg of beer from Katapesh!


Male Human Barbarian / 1

By Gorum that Dwarf can take a hit. Gozer thinks as he takes in everything happening around him in a calm and cool manner. His respect for the stout folk growing as he watches.


Human Human Fighter 1

Well big fella. Are we going to get in there and try to take this thing down? Maya calls out to Gozer.

Seeing that the ogre doesn't seem to be in hurry to come after her and might well kill the dwarf if she doesn't help, she rushes across the market place and charges the thing, using her longsword in two hands since she doesn't have her shield with her.

1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 5 + 1 = 9

She hesitates as she reaches the hulking, foul smelling fiend, taking a few tentative swings, but failing to land a strike.


Female French-Canadian

Maya, why do you have 1d20+5+1 for your attack roll?


male human
Joba Tett wrote:
Maya, why do you have 1d20+5+1 for your attack roll?

You generally get a +1 bonus to hit when you charge. Not that it matters since I rolled a 3. I'm not sure if that rule is in the Beginner Box though, so the DM can easily ignore that bonus.


Male Human Barbarian / 1

See discussion page


Human Human Fighter 1

So it looks like everyone has acted for round #2, except Gozer, but maybe "taking in everything" was his action.


Male Human Barbarian / 1

No just commenting on the dwarf, I am waiting for the fat watchman to go before I decide what I want to do.


The Fat Watchman charged forward, shouting "Get back everybody! Get back!" His voice was cracking with fear. He swung wildly at the raging monster.

Watchman's attack and potential damage
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 81d8 ⇒ 3


We're at the top of the round again. The watchman charged so he's standing next to Maya. Maya, a charge gives you a +2 to your attack but a -2 to your AC until your initiative comes up again; you'd have gotten a 10 on your roll, which still would have missed.


Male Human Wizard / 1st

Talberon watched as the others charged the large behemoth.

Toe-to-toe with an Ogre! This bunch is extremely brave or foolish, he thought.

He reached down and lifted the light crossbow he had tethered to his harness at the waist. Raising it with one hand, he pulled a quill from the quiver on his left.

I'll never get used to the draw of this, he thought as he pulled the bow back and placed the bolt in the knock. Move Action?

Raising, and shouldering the stock of the crossbow, he sighted down the length of it, bringing the large monster into its field of vision...

'Thwang' went the crossbow as he pulled the trigger...

To Hit / Damage Roll:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 61d8 ⇒ 5

'Damn, I jerked it! Father always said to squeeze the trigger! his mind screamed.


Human Human Fighter 1

Our attack rolls have been ass!


Male Human Barbarian / 1

I still get my move before Maya so I should have a clear path to the Ogre.[ooc]

Gozer grabs his greataxe in both hands and smiles... He lets out a bellowing roar that can probably be heard streets over as he starts to charge the great monster...

[ooc]Gozer will charge the ogre moving 40' into the space next to Trapper and use Power Attack as he charges in.[ooc]

As Gozer reaches the ogre he lets his axe swing from one side to the other.

Screaming out Gorum!!!

1d20 + 7 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (11) + 7 + 2 - 1 = 19

[ooc]+7 for his to hit, +2 for the charge, and -1 for the power attack. If Gozer hits

1d12 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 7 + 2 = 12

+7 from his strength modifier (two-handed weapon gets 1.5(5+2.5=7 rounded down) and +2 for his power attack.


Male Human Barbarian / 1

My AC will also be -2 until this round is over and the ogre gets an attack of opportunity from me for moving through his threatened space up next to him.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

See discussion, please ...


Male Human Wizard/1

Tamilius casts Ice Cone(I'm tired and don't remember the name, same spell I used last time) 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15 1d3 ⇒ 1

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

By Torag's beard, I will put an end to him or to me!, Trapper shouts.

I'm a blithering idiot, Trapper thinks.

He charges the Ogre, wielding his short sword like a paladin swinging a two-handed blade and tries to strike deep into the Ogre's guts.

To hit roll = d20 plus BAB (0) plus STR(+1) plus Charge (+2)

1d20 + 0 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 0 + 1 + 2 = 10

:sigh:


"Talberon Toil wrote:
'Thwang' went the crossbow as he pulled the trigger...

The bolt hissed past the ogre's head as he clumsily dodged the attacks of Maya and the watchman.

His luck ran out when Gozer's axe caught him in the side of his jaw. Spitting blood and broken teeth, he roared at the big man and aimed a fist at his head.

Ogre's attack on Gozer

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 241d8 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Gozer got a good solid hit in and Tamilius frost bolts have done some damage. I've got the Ogre down 15 hp. He's had better days.

Positions & Initiative


  • Talberon (24) [Qj]
  • Ogre (17) [Me]
  • Tamilius (14) [He]
  • Trapper (13) [Le]
  • Ben and the Bystanders* (12) [Pm]
  • Belethor (9) [Ie]
  • Fat Watchman (7) [Me]
  • Gozer (6) [Me]
  • Maya (4) [Me]


The ogre's fist slams painfully into the side Gozer's leaving his ear ringing.

In the distance the watch bell began to toll alerting the militia that trouble was afoot.

11 points of non-lethal damage. It hurt bad but Gozer is still standing.


Male Human Barbarian / 1

Gozer's head snaps to the left as the ogre's fist connects solidly, a blow that would have felled a lesser man. With an almost unnatural resilience, Gozer turns his head back to the ogre, not wavering in the least and says:

I've been hit harder by goblin women!


Male Human Cleric/1

Belethor sees Gozer's axe connecting with the ogre's jaw, then the ogre's answering comment. Wow maybe we should just leave these two to it!!!.

Belethor raises his sword high into the air "Gorum we shall take this beast's blood in your name". His sword glows brilliantly blue for a second before it quickly fades away. Turning he sees his companions weapons do the same thing. Now we have a party.

He then runs to try and flank the ogre.

Bless has a range of 50 feet. It gives +1 bonus on attack rolls for 1 minute (10 rounds). Belethor is now on square cK I believe.


From behind, the combatants heard a cheer. The women in the dyeworks had noticed the battle and were watching from the safety of their building. Their encouragement was picked up by the apprentices in the glassworks and the longshoremen down at the docks. The last group had picked up boat hooks and anything else that might serve as a weapon but they didn't seem eager to join the fray themselves. From around the corner, the handsome watchman came running, still strapping on his belt and scabbard over his disheveled clothes.

The fat watchman saw none of this. Emboldened by the numbers fighting the creature with him, he swallowed his fear and stepped in to attack the ogre once more.

Fat Watchman attack and potential damage
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 201d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


The fat watchman's swordpoint sunk deeply into the ogre's thigh. He staggered sideways a bit, his expression changing into one of fear. He was finally becoming aware he was surrounded by enemies in a hopeless fight. He let a roar of rage and despair.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

Trapper has a bemused, disbelieving look on his face as he wiggles his sword loose from the sand at the ogre's feet.

My brothers were right: I'm no fighter. And these folk aren't going to have a thing to do with me after this fiasco.

When he sees the fat watchman hit the ogre, Trapper sighs heavily.

But given time I can set or locate some mighty mean traps, just like I did against "The Chopper". I just need a *chance*.


Male Human Barbarian / 1

Gozer spits a little blood from his mouth and hears the cry for Gorum come from behind him. He notices his weapon flash blue and feels Gorum's strength rush through his axe. He smiles at the ogre.

Gozer bellows, if possible, even louder than before and brings his axe up over head bringing it down in an arc straight for the ogre's head.

AAAHHHHHH!!!!

Gozer will once again use power attack for his attack taking a -1 but adding +2 to his damage. He will also get the +1 to attack from bless.

1d20 + 7 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (12) + 7 + 1 - 1 = 19

If his axe connects...

1d12 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 7 + 2 = 21


The ogre tried to block Gozer's with a raised arm but the blade sliced neatly through his wrist and buried itself deep in the creature's skull. He fell to his knees and made a sound almost like a sigh before toppling over lifelessly.

A cheer went up from the people who'd been watching the fight.


Combat's over so no more need to act in initiative. I've an event to attend this evening so I won't post again until about 10 Mountain Time (-7 UT) when I'll follow up with the NPCs in the square.


Human Human Fighter 1

Maya looks over at Gozer with his blood drenched axe.

Well played sir. A good showing.

Now, what in the hells was this ogre doing in that warehouse in the first place?

101 to 150 of 590 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A Fine Day at the Docks All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.