Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

The Sinister Secrets of Sandpoint (Inactive)

Game Master TheHairyAvenger

A Beginner Box game set in Sandpoint and its environs.


51 to 100 of 590 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

male human
Joba Tett wrote:

"10 gold will be enough for my services." Tamilius says to Maya "Perhaps we should find this Shalalu?"

Where can I find info on Sandpoint and places in this setting for free, or do I have to buy it?

There is a little bit in the Beginner Box, but there is a lot more in the Rise of the Runelords AP, especially the first book. The first book of the Jade Regent path has stuff as well


Human Human Fighter 1

Maya looks at Trapper with concern, What crimes has this Sandpoint Devil committed?

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

Trapper scrunches his eyebrows and moves closer so that the group can hear him, but hopefully nobody else:

You've been in Sandpoint a while, M'Lady. I have seen you about. And perhaps you have noticed this, but it's hard to see when you're within the bustle of the town.

Children! Trapper says in a voice that would be good for a campfire tale except that his face is so pallid.

The children of Sandpoint are never seen without an adult. And what's more, up and down the coast road, from Magnimar to the harbor of this town, and inland for several leagues from the Varisian Gulf, children are disappearing. Not one. Not two. All of the children are disappearing!

Trapper's eyes are watery.

The night I saw the accursed beast, on a foggy morning near a small, peaceful village, this beast, half-horse, half-demon, walked along a stone path, standing on two legs at first, and then dropping down on all fours as it entered a schoolhouse and it began to shriek with a wail that is not borne of this world. And our mounts neighed and began to gallop in a fury at this noise, leaving me helpless as we flew into the woods, the screams from the school echoing in the distance. And there was nothing I could. Nothing.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1
P.H. Dungeon wrote:


Where can I find info on Sandpoint and places in this setting for free, or do I have to buy it?

.

..
...
There is a Pathfinder wiki that is really good!
Link=Pathfinder Wiki


Male Human Barbarian / 1

At Maya: Bah! I need no gold to crush monsters or foes. Keep your money woman. I will still come along!

How dare she think me some lowly blade for hire... Although I did accept that free meal for conversation...hmm... Well no matter I made my point. 1.Find adventure...Check, 2.Eat food...Check, 3.Kill something... ... No Check... :-( Note to self amend item number three!

At Maya and Trapper: Crimes? The Sandpoint Devil is a beast, a demon, pure evil from what I hear. Something to test my blade against!

Just in case anyone didn't have a chance to look at the stats on a Sandpoint Devil it is a CR8 creature, so for all Gozer's bluster I really hope we don't meet it ;-) lol.

Gozer finishes his meals... and returns the bowls to the fish barker. Then sits back down at the table.


Human Human Fighter 1

Regarding the Sandpoint Devil: Well that all sounds sufficiently horrible. I have to admit, my experiences come from the couple of years I spent fighting alongside my husband as part of his mercenary company. The killing I've done with my blade is limited primarily to other men. Demons and such are well beyond my realm of experience. However, the presence of such a beast certainly cannot be tolerated. If you help me deal with the goblins, I will help you track down and kill this demon.

As Maya speaks those words, she secretly wonders if she actually does have the courage to face such a terrible creature.

Maya has actually only be in one real battle, and that was the one her husband was nearly killed in. Most of her experience is from training and sparring with other members of the company. Her other significant combat experience was with the goblins that attacked her homestead and killed her husband a few months earlier. She tries to make it seem like she's a bit more experienced than she actually is.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1
Maya Harlech wrote:
Regarding the Sandpoint Devil: Well that all sounds sufficiently horrible. I have to admit, my experiences come from the couple of years I spent fighting alongside my husband as part of his mercenary company. The killing I've done with my blade is limited primarily to other men. Demons and such are well beyond my realm of experience. However, the presence of such a beast certainly cannot be tolerated. If you help me deal with the goblins, I will help you track down and kill this demon.

...

That sounds like a fair bargain to me. And not if, but when we deal with these nasty Goblins, then we can figure out how to handle this abomination terrorizing the coastline

Meanwhile Trapper is thinking: I hope I scared the crap out of her, because that circus-freak of an emaciated horse scared the crap out of *me*

Trapper had run-ins with Goblins during his family's journey from Highhelm to Absalom, but there's no *way* any of these characters can tackle a Sandpoint Devil directly. But maybe it has minions??

I hope this description was not too over-the-top. If so, I apologize. Pathfinder has a lot of horror elements, and it's kinda hard to make up something more awful than "the Chopper"

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1
Gozer "Bone Splitter" wrote:


Just in case anyone didn't have a chance to look at the stats on a Sandpoint Devil it is a CR8 creature, so for all Gozer's bluster I really hope we don't meet it ;-) lol.

Yeah, I sorta blew it on that one. Trapper is a melodramatic dwarf, but I had no idea the Sandpoint Devil was a that freakin' powerful. We'd stand an easier chance taking on the Varisian army. I also did not know the Sandpoint Devil was based on the legend of Jersey Devil.


Male Human Wizard / 1st

Talberon took it all in as he finished his meal and allowed the large man to take his basket as well back to the fish barker.

Not having been privy to all of the Goblin discussion, he assumed that the lady wished help in finding them and imposing justice.

Talberon searched his mind for any information that he could recall on the Goblin tribes hereabouts or this Devil...

Seeking Knowledge:
Knowledge (Geography): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Knowledge (History): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

"I think I may recall... then again perhaps not..." he said as he rubbed his temples in deep thought.

Sorry, I meant to reply earlier but the darn site went down... lost my whole previous post!


Male Human Barbarian / 1

Yeah had a better post than one of the ones I did before and lost the whole thing!

Didn't read far enough into the devil to know if was based on the Jersey Devil. Thanks pretty cool. I am sure Tippo will find an appropriate place to insert things that need to be inserted lol.

Gozer looks to Maya to determine her worth in fighting such a creature, taking a good measure of her..

Gozer will sense motive on Maya to see if she is really telling the truth about helping kill the demon and about her fighting experience. I will make two rolls. Sorry Maya I know you have it in the thread but that's OOC knowledge not Gozer's.

1d20 ⇒ 13 About fighting the devil
1d20 ⇒ 8 About her fighting experience.


Talberon Toil

Knowledge Checks:

Talberon racks his brains but can only stir some memories of what he heard others refer to as the "unpleasantness in Sandpoint", a series of tragedies that have hit the town the past few years: fire, serial murder, and, yes, a goblin raid. Not a few miles out of town, he recalls, are rocky hills, perfect terrain for goblins to thrive.

Your geography check was successful against a DC 15, so you recall the hills and know that they are perfect for goblins. Everything else comes up short. However news of the recent troubles in Sandpoint has traveled far, so you have heard of it.


Gozer "Bone Splitter" wrote:


Gozer looks to Maya to determine her worth in fighting such a creature, taking a good measure of her..

Gozer will sense motive on Maya to see if she is really telling the truth about helping kill the demon and about her fighting experience. I will make two rolls.

Maya, if you want to hide your feelings from the others, I'll need a Bluff roll to hide them from Gozer's attempt to 'read' you. If you aren't making an effort to conceal how you feel, I'll make a judgement of how much he can discern.


male human

Tippor

Spoiler:
she wasn't really bluffing about anything, so she is good.

Tippo Dakar wrote:
Gozer "Bone Splitter" wrote:


Gozer looks to Maya to determine her worth in fighting such a creature, taking a good measure of her..

Gozer will sense motive on Maya to see if she is really telling the truth about helping kill the demon and about her fighting experience. I will make two rolls.

Maya, if you want to hide your feelings from the others, I'll need a Bluff roll to hide them from Gozer's attempt to 'read' you. If you aren't making an effort to conceal how you feel, I'll make a judgement of how much he can discern.


Before the conversation could go on, a muffled shout and a bestial roar comes from the warehouses dockside. A scream of pain followed, then the door of one warehouse shatters. Squeezing through the splintered wood is a huge misshapen humanoid. In one hand it bears the crushed body of the warehouse guard, apparently used as ram to smash open the door. Around the creature's wrists are manacles attached to lengths of broken chain. It paused, squinting in the bright sunlight.

Okay everybody, initiative rolls (1d20 plus your dexterity bonus plus 4 if you have the Improved Initiative feat). We're in combat so you'll be acting in order of your initiative (highest to lowest). The creature, an ogre (I'll leave it to you to decide if your characters recognize it), has paused to let its eyes adjust to the bright light, so it doesn't get a surprise round.

You are at He on the map; the ogre is at Me. There is 40 feet between you hand him. The Fat Watchmen is at Ch, Old Ben and 3 longshoremen customers are at Ki. The merchant and the ship captain had gone into the warehouse with the guard. The Sweeping Woman stands at the doss-house. She screams.


Male Human Barbarian / 1

Gozer's Initiative:

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


Male Human Barbarian / 1

::sigh::


Fat Watchman:
1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7

Bystanders:
1d20 - 1 ⇒ (13) - 1 = 12

Ogre:
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17


Male Human Cleric/1

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Shouldn't have drank that ale!!!


Male Human Wizard/1

"Forget about the Sand(point?) Devil, we have a real problem here."Oh dammit, what could that be?
Init 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Knowledge(Any)1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19 to find out what the creature is
I have plus 8 in all knowledge skills


Human Human Fighter 1

Oh s#$#! That's a big, fellow. What in the hells was he in that warehouse for?

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Oh her turn Maya will stand up from the table and draw her blade.

That thing doesn't look too bright, but it looks like it might hit hard. Be careful. Do you think we could lure it down to the water and find a way to make it take a swim? I bet swimming in manacles is tough

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

...
Trapper whirls about, hand on his short sword hilt.

Initiative Roll =
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Go for the ankles! Take it from a Dwarf! Go for the ankles!

*sigh* I have to head to the office. I should be back online in about an hour.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

I have "Knowledge Dungeoneering". Would that help Trapper recognize monsters? If so, here's the roll. If not, disregard

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

God, I suck at rolling dice.


Male Human Wizard / 1st

"I seem to recall..." Talberon began to say when the warehouse door exploded, thrusting him into reactive action. Initiative: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
He attempted to stand and pull the two daggers he kept in the thigh sheaths of his harness. The commotion of the large beast drew his eye, as he did. Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
"Someone get the women out of here..." he yelled, as he looked toward the fish monger, 'Lords! He is too close! I must help...', he thought.

I may have gone a tad overboard in my actions, but I figure as much as I could squeeze in, the better, as I find PbP combat tends to slow things down. Feel free to disregard anything that doesn't fit in the allotted time.

I intend to see if I can go help 'Old Ben' and usher him toward the glassworks... for now anyway. Suspect he might be tougher than me, but you know, I think it is what Talberon might do...


Male Human Barbarian / 1

So in this instance Talberon would go first and then the ogre, followed by Tamilius, Bystanders, Trapper, Belethor, Fat Watchman, Gozer, and finally Maya correct?


Male Human Barbarian / 1

So will we be posting as such and waiting for those posts to happen? Thanks

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1
Gozer "Bone Splitter" wrote:
So will we be posting as such and waiting for those posts to happen? Thanks

That makes sense to me. And it's a good learning experience for us newbies, since there is a wide array of combat round actions.

It's possible this first combat may be a tad slow, but I suspect things will pick up as we go along ... or as we get stomped into jelly by this ogre on steroids :)


Human Human Fighter 1

pbp combat can be slow if you have to spend a long time waiting for someone to post. When I run pbp's I don't set up an iniative order. I just have people post for a round, and the order they post in is the iniative order, as DM I try to be fair about allowing characters some time to post before attacking with monsters, and I split monsters up, so they don't always all go at once.

My rule is that once you've posted you don't post for another round of combat until I, as dm, put up a post saying that the next round of combat postings can begin. If one player is taking too long to post (over a day) in combat, they lose their turn, but can still post in subsequent combat rounds. The main drawback of this format is that it means that Dex is slightly less useful, and that the improved initative feat is useless, but as long as players know that this is how it will work. I find it effective and recommend it for pbp. This system tends to reward players that are particpating most actively, and I think that is a fair way to play in a pbp game. It also encourages players to be active in their posting, so they don't miss a turn.

However, initiative order can work fine as well; I just think it's more useful in a face to face game. Whatever the DM is most comfortable with.

Maya won't be doing much on her turn besides getting up from the table and drawing her weapon.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

If possible, Trapper jumps off the table..

Acrobatics (jump)
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

And he draws his short sword if he can.

I will not be online tonight due to graduation stuff, so just in case, here's a melee roll just in case

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14


Male Human Cleric/1

On my turn

Belethor jumps from his seat and draws his longsword.

He bellows to the Watchman "DRAW YOUR SWORD AND FIGHT WITH US!!!"

I thought because the watchman was nervous before now there is an ogre he might run off and leave us so trying to persuade him to fight

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

If he gets a chance he will move to stand by Mara's side.

Im going to bed now so won't be posting again till morning sorry if this slows the game down. Night all.


Male Human Barbarian / 1

Let me know when I can post Tippo. Thanks


Male Human Wizard / 1st

Okay, I am going to assume that I could stand and draw my weapon (my previous post) while the Ogre appeared and was adjusting to the light... If this is a no-go, feel free to tweak the following as necessary.

Talberon headed for Old Ben, 'Attacking this beast my draw its attention, but I have to get Old Ben out of the way first before I do...', he thought.

As he scampered up to Old Ben he was bordering on panic, "Come on, we have to move... now!", he proclaimed.

I am going to try and kick over one of the fish oil pots toward the Ogre and usher Old Ben toward the glassworks. Dexterity Roll: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16 to see if I can kick over the oil pot if required.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1
Talberon Toil wrote:


As he scampered up to Old Ben he was bordering on panic, "Come on, we have to move... now!", he proclaimed.
[/ooc]

.

.
OIL!!, Trapper yells. USE THE BOILING SOUP LIKE BURNING OIL!!"


Much apologies to everyone today. Trouble at work but I can sit down and relax now. And post.

Initiative


  • Talberon (24)
  • Ogre (17)
  • Tamilius (14)
  • Trapper (13)
  • Ben and the Bystanders* (12)
  • Belethor (9)
  • Fat Watchman (7)
  • Gozer (6)
  • Maya (4)

*Band name!

Gozer

Sense Motive:
You can sense Maya's not so confident about facing a demon.


Knowledge Checks:
Those of you making knowledge (dungeoneering) over 10 and knowledge (nature) over 15 recognize the creature as an Ogre, a large evil-spirited creature known for its ferocity. You also know it has a long reach and can strike at enemies within in ten feet of where it stands.


Male Human Barbarian / 1

Cool waiting on the others now :-)


The ogre let out a fearsome roar when he saw the people in the square.

Talberon wrote:
"Come on, we have to move... now!", he proclaimed.

The monster turned its attention to the sound of Talberon's voice. Talberon's kick sent a cauldron of boiling oil and potatoes spilling onto the sandy ground of the square. He hurled the body of the guard at Talberon.

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

The ogre gets a plus five on his thrown weapon because of its strength, but is at -4 because he isn't proficient in hurled human bodies as a weapon.


Male Human Barbarian / 1

Not proficient with human bodies? Here I was thinking that's the only thing they were proficient with. lol


The body hit Tableron square on.

Great, I hit him. Now I have to guess what kind of damage a thrown body does.

Talberon Damage
1d4 ⇒ 3


Tamilius and then Trapper are up. Trapper, your jump takes you ten feet and you land gracefully.


Male Human Barbarian / 1

I am off to bed, I'll post Gozer's action to help speed things up.

Gozer will stand slowly turning towards the beast and draw his axe in one smooth motion.

That will be his move action and his free/swift action since he has a BAB of +1, he will not take a standard action this turn.


Human Human Fighter 1

As Maya sees Gozer get to his feet and draw his axe, she calls out to him,

What's your plan giant? Are you going to charge the thing straight on?


Male Human Wizard/1

Tamilius casts Magic Missile at the Ogre Die foul beast!1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

So Trapper should be 30 feet away now, right? He can move 20 feet. Can he move the 20 feet and attack with the short sword? If so, the melee roll was a 14 (see above). If not, I will have Trapper simply move within striking range.

I have an appointment, so I will be back online around 10:30 Central Time. I'm sorry my normal routine got interrupted right in the middle of our first combat.


Human Human Fighter 1
Tamilius Zantamia wrote:
Tamilius casts Magic Missile at the Ogre Die foul beast!1d4+1

I have a feeling that probably did not kill it. Good old first level wizards.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1
Maya Harlech wrote:


I have a feeling that probably did not kill it. Good old first level wizards.

Some things never change, even with all the rules changes over the years.


Male Human Barbarian / 1

You know it may not be powerful but I'll tell you what at least it hits everytime. ;-)


Male Human Barbarian / 1

Also my actions are for when my turn comes up not when I posted my previous post.


Male Human Wizard / 1st

Is Old Ben moving at my behest?

A scream of uncontrolled fear caught in Talberon's throat! He stood, wide eyed staring at a body that had careened off his thigh. Carnage and blood clung to his trousers from the impact. Blood began to seep out onto the ground from the hamburger that was once the warehouse guard.

'HE'S DEAD! JUST LIKE THAT! A PILE OF... his thoughts reeling off course at a dramatic speed. He wanted to scream, but couldn't. The lack of inhaling, from the fright, did not allow any sound to escape his lips.

With a rising unblinking distant stare, Talberon's eyes climbed to the beast. AN OGRE! was the only thought that could penetrate his quickly withdrawing sanity.

A pounding, nah banging, pain began to pulsate up his left thigh into his abdomen, but he took no notice. He had been hit with the carcass of a man...!!!


Male Human Cleric/1

My main move is further up the page so if old Ben has a turn then Belethor will just do what was said earlier maybe move closer to the if he can

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

By Torag's hammer, this is what I feared the most. And I'd bet all the gold of HighHelm that this isn't the only beast imprisoned here!

Maybe I'm small enough to sneak underneath this monster and stab him where the sun don't shine!

Now that Trapper is closer to the Ogre he does not yell out, or use any kind of battle cry.

51 to 100 of 590 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A Fine Day at the Docks All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.