Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

The Sinister Secrets of Sandpoint (Inactive)

Game Master TheHairyAvenger

A Beginner Box game set in Sandpoint and its environs.


1 to 50 of 590 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Date: 21 Desnus, 4712 (Moonday) Late morning (Glorian Calendar)

It is promising to be a fine afternoon. The early haze has burned off and the sky is a bright blue. In northwest corner of Dyer's Square (map) the 'girls' from the dyeworks are taking their first break of the day for their noon meal. They chatter over their food. Any man passing suffers from risque suggestions and catcalls from the women. A moment ago two of the town watchmen entered the square. One of them, a tall handsome man with dark eyes and a well-oiled mustache, disappeared into a narrow alleyway with one of the women while his partner (younger, plumper, and not as good-looking) stands by looking very uncomfortable.

In the center of the square Old Ben has two pots of oil boiling over a charcol brazier. For three coppers he'll plunge a plump fish into one, some potatoes into another, and serve them up to you in a wicker bowl. Bring the bowl back and he'll refund a copper. He's had a few customers among the dyers and the longshoremen bringing goods back and forth from the docks to the warehouses in the southwest of the square.

In front of one of the warehouses a guard is posted. He's a foul looking man with sparse hair and sparser teeth. On his belt is a whip, seemingly the only weapon he has, but the longshoremen seem to respect it because they give his door a wide berth as they go in and out of the others.

On the Map:
The women are in the grid squares Id, Ie, and He. The dyeworks are the building behind them. The watchman and his girl disappeared into the alleyway at Bh. Old Ben is in Ki and the guard is at Mc. The building behind the guard is divided into storerooms for merchants and the longshoremen are carrying goods in and out of them.

Building 29 is a glassworks, but the apprentices there are hard at it and not outside. Building 36 is a doss-house for sailors and other itenerants.

Your job:
Place your characters in the square and let us know why they are there. It could be you have just arrived on a ship, or you heard about Old Ben's fish fry and wanted to try it, or you've got a sweetheart among the workers, etc.


Human Human Fighter 1

Maya is hanging out in the Square, and she is in the midst of ordering a bowl of food from Old Ben. She's just come into town from her home, which is on the outskirts of town, and she is rather hungry after the long walk- hence the quick stop for some food. She is wearing all her armour and weapons, as the walk from her home to town can be dangerous.

What time of the year and day is it? Maya is in square Ji. She is primarily in town to network and socialize, especially if it is spring since she'd likely have been cooped up in her home for most of the winter.


Male Human Cleric/1

As Belethor entered the square the aroma of cooking fish fills his nostrils. I failed in bringing my Father’s death to justice but that doesn’t mean I don’t deserve a hot meal. He notices the beautiful yet deadly looking woman already ordering food, Maybe more than a hot meal. Brushing the dust from his armour he casually wanders over and as he orders himself a bowl he turns to the woman "Hail, I am Belethor Grimwood and honoured to be in the presence of such an exquisite and striking character such as yourself. May I humbly request you name." He gently bows as he speaks. Accepting the food and taking a mouthful he waits expectantly for her reply.

Have I done this right


Male Human Wizard/1

Tamilius has just exited the inn and walks into the square. He smells something delicious and looks over at the two pots of cooking food, but what catches his eyes is the sight of the two people ordering it. They look as if they might know a thing or two. As Tamilius walks over to them, he pulls out three copper pieces and tosses them to Old Ben. "Hello," he says to Beletor interrupting him before Maya has a chance to respond to his question My name is Tamilius, what might your be? I'm new in town and am looking for a job, you looked like the sort who might know something.


Human Human Fighter 1

Maya looks the two over. She's in the midst of mowing down a bowl of stew and doesn't likely look too ladylike. When Belethor approaches and speaks to her, she tries to be a little more dainty with her eating.

Maya is a tall athletic looking woman. She wears a suite of well maintained scale mail armour, and she has a sword and a dagger in scabbards at her side, as well as a water skin. She wears a deep red tabard that has black raven insignia in the centre of it.

Her shield, bow, and war hammer are currently at her home, and she is carrying 5gp, 10 sp, and 20 cp on her. The rest of her money is locked in a strong box at her home, which is hidden in a compartment beneath the hearthstone of her fireplace

My name is Maya Harlech. Are you two new in town? You don't look familiar, granted I've only been residing in Sandpoint for barely a year.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

Trapper emerges from the alley between the glass works and the doss house.
He's wearing his studded armor, and has his short sword sheathed on his side.
He also carries his thievery tools under his cloak.
He's heard murmurings about the fish fry and is eager to try it, but when he sees three others, he hesitates before walking up to Old Ben.

He thoughtfully strokes his beard and stares at the girls from the dye works.

Things don't feel right. The town has been peaceful for weeks, but the way these girls and longshoremen are acting reminds me of how uneasy I felt in the days after I saw the Sandpoint Devil. And yet, strangers have gathered, too ... Breathe in, breathe out. They must be an omen from Torag. They must be.

Trapper looks at the two men and woman standing nearby.

Gentlemen, mi'lady. Might I ask ..., Er, I mean, might I inquire ...? Well, if any of you can make change for a gold piece it twould help a Dwarf buy a hearty cup of fish and taters

Trapper is nervously holding a gold coin so that the three can see it, but firmly enough so it won't be snagged by a pickpocket.

Trapper is standing at Kk, unless that's too far for him to be heard, in which case he hesitantly gets in earshot, but no closer.


Male Human Cleric/1

Belethor grasped Tamilius on the shoulder "Greetings, I am Belethor." A huge welcoming grin was painted across his ruggedly handsome face. "I once resided in a village not far from here and visited Sandpoint fairly often. However I have been away for quite some time..." His eyes seem to darken slightly as he speaks, he quickly tries to hide this "Now I return to seek employment and maybe right some wrongs".


Human Human Fighter 1

What sort of employment are you looking for handsome?


Male Human Wizard/1

Tamilius: http://drakonis.org/uploads/7/v/0/7v0ng7m0e3/2011/03/04/20110304000016-f0e5 fb4f.jpg

Tamilius ignores Trapper and takes a look at Maya before speaking to Belethor "Well then Belethor, perhaps we will end up working together one day." he then turns around to look at Maya As a matter of fact, I am new to this town. Might you know of any work for a magic-user like myself to do around here?

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

Trapper steps forward tentatively, still holding the gold piece out as a gesture.

I've lived on the outskirts of Sandpoint neigh on a year now, and I can tell you that the great unpleasantness, as the locals call it, is starting to come 'round again. I've seen my share of evil-doings over the years, and I wouldn't mind righting some wrongs myself. The people here have been good to me, and I want to repay the good citizens any way I can.

since there are three PCs here, Trapper randomly must be closest to one of them, so I'll roll 1d3 to test the dice roller, where
1 = Maya
2 = Tamilius
3 = Belethor

1d3 ⇒ 3

Well met, Belethor. It sounds like you and I may have seen some things in common


Male Human Wizard/1

Sorry Maya, I didn't see you post yet.

"I'm looking for adventuring work, a spelunker with spells perhaps!" says Tamilius in an exited voice.


Male Human Barbarian / 1

Gozer enters the square along the path leading from the glassworks building. The smell of food is all he needed to make him pick up his pace. Just arriving from the north he has been traveling with few breaks from his home in the Worldwound.

Gozer surveys the area as he walks towards the man with the food never missing a step. I am probably the tallest person in the square, which relxes him, but just ever so slightly. Gozer stands 6'-6" and is in one word massive. He is bald and wears hide armor wrapped with furs and carries a greataxe and greatclub at his back. Many scars can be seen over the parts of his body that are visible.

Gozer walks over to the man and says: "I'll take whatever this will fetch me..." He throws a silver on the table. An audible tink is heard to anyone standing near. His voice quite loud but not shouting.

Gozer stands paitently and alert waiting for his food. Looking around for a place to take his food and sit.


Male Human Wizard / 1st

Talberon strolled down a lane eying things withing the glassworks. Moving West along the road from Du. He unconsciously adjusted the harness he wore over his traveling clothes and under his cloak. Everything he possessed he carried upon his person.

As he neared the end of the thoroughfare he saw a plump guard fidgeting at a nearby alley. Ducking his head, he turned left and focused on the glasswork and the apprentices within. 'The days of practicing a trade are behind me, but alas, it is a pleasure to see those who do fine work,' he thought as he continued on. moved to Hl

He felt a slight breeze from the docks. He turned, and allowed the breeze to brush gently upon his face. It felt invigorating, like cool silk he imagined. As he stood he smelled the aroma that had come from a man fixing fish and potatoes, for a group of four.

He noticed they engaged in banter as they either waited for their order or consumed what had already been given. They spoke of work mostly, and he felt for his belt pouch. 'Perhaps I should partake in a meal, he considered.

Movement at the docks caught his eye as he considered the line. He began moving South. As he did he saw the doss-house. Not familiar with its purpose, he moved to investigate and allow the line at the fish barker to shorten while he enjoyed the breeze.

'Great yet more customers come,' he thought, as a large bald fellow approached the barker, 'but I will not parish while I wait.'

I really have NO idea what a doss-house is. I will end this post in the [Nm] square.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

Trapper steps forward more boldly now.

They don't trust me. And why should they? But something serious is going on there. Town guards rarely act as brazenly as that one did with the dye-worker girl. There is trouble afoot.

He slaps his gold piece on the table next to Gozer's silver and says,
Fish, chips, and any ale that Old Ben can muster are on me if I can have a word with you fine folks over at one of these tables.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1
Talberon Toil wrote:


I really have NO idea what a doss-house is. I will end this post in the [Nm] square.

It's a flop house. Basically a bed for the night for a few bucks. I had to look it up.


Male Human Wizard / 1st

Talberon caught wisps of Tamilius's words.

'Interesting,' he thought, 'this fellow flaunts his craft.'

Talberon mulled the thought over in his mind. He had spent the past year trying to not look like someone who partook in magicks. The idea was a novel one, but not one he could embrace. Perhaps it was his father's disdain, but he preferred to appear more as a blade hand than someone that meddled in the arts...

'Perhaps I should reconsider? Maybe approach this fellow...' The thought trailed off. The fear of being seen in such light was too well engrained in Talberon to change... at least at this time... in front of so many...

'Aye, a place to rest I suppose.' he decided, as his thoughts went back to what the doss-house's service might be.

Thanks Trapper


Male Human Barbarian / 1

Gozer eyed the dwarf standing next to him.

Hm. Food for some converstaion... that seems reasonable. Gozer thought.

I'll take you up on that offer dwarf!

Gozer picks up his silver and turns to the dwarf.

Well met dwarf! Lead the way. I'll carry the food.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1
Gozer "Bone Splitter" wrote:

Gozer eyed the dwarf standing next to him.

Hm. Food for some converstaion... that seems reasonable. Gozer thought.

I'll take you up on that offer dwarf!

Gozer picks up his silver and turns to the dwarf.

Well met dwarf! Lead the way. I'll carry the food.

It is an honor to meet you, Human. There seems to be a vacant table right over here. If the others will join us, perhaps we can make sense of things around here!

Trapper points to where the dye workers have been taunting passersby and finds an empty table. Since Trapper is short, he will actually sit on the table at one end and eat, dribbling soup and potatoes on his beard as he wolfs down the food.

I'm hoping our GM will allow there to be an open table somewhere around map location "Je". If not, I apologize. I've got to get back in the role (as it were) of roleplaying after years of DMing


Maya Harlech wrote:
What time of the year and day is it?

It is early summer, on the calendar it is the Glorian equivalent of Monday, May 21.


Male Human Barbarian / 1

Gozer follows Trapper over to where he indicated they should sit.

His hands full of food he sits down, but does not eat, remaining silent and waiting for any others that may join as the dwarf indicated.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

I had intended to invite all the characters over to the table when Gozer accepted the offer of food and drink, but I didn't make that clear. So if our GM will permit it, I'd like to backtrack and add this ...

With a sweeping gesture of his huge hands, Trapper motions the wizards, fighter and cleric towrad the table with an honorable gesture and a bow.

Trapper says, Please, fellow travelers and visitors to Sandpoint, join us at this table so we may take a respite and see if we can find mutual business.


Maya Harlech wrote:
Maya is hanging out in the Square, and she is in the midst of ordering a bowl of food from Old Ben.

Old Ben's face lit up as Maya approached his stand. He hadn't seen her since the winter came, but she'd been a regular customer before. He had a pot of fish stew simmering at the edge of the fire. He measured out a generous bowl for her and presented it with a hunk of bread from the bag at his feet.

He was about to ask her how she'd fared that winter when Belethor approached. Busy day. He dished up some fried fish and potatoes for the man. He took in his appearance. One of Gorum's 'sons', that's for sure. His eyes went to the scars on neck, Probably gets a lot of work out of that sword as well.

Tamilius Zantamia wrote:
Tamilius walks over to them, he pulls out three copper pieces and tosses them to Old Ben.

As he handed the basket over to Belethor a third approached. A merchant or somethin' from the look of him. He caught the coins with a quick hand (Old Ben seldom let coin slip through his fingers). The three fell into conversation and Old Ben went back to tending his food.

Did we ever decide if Tamilius had a cat familiar? If so, Ben, who is fond of cats, will slip it some fish.

Trapper, Brother of Keith wrote:
Trapper emerges from the alley between the glass works and the doss house.

For Trapper:
As Trapper made his way to the square, he passed a heavily laden wagon drawn by two mules and driven by two Dwarven women he is acquainted with, Alfonsie and Erzsebet Pallwitz. Alfonsie, the blonde one, flashed a friendly smile at Trapper, but her sister, the red-headed one, hissed something in her ear that caused Alfonsie to roll her eyes and give Trapper an apologetic grin. They trundled on toward the city gates.

Ben looked on bemusedly as Trapper approached. He knew the Dwarf well, the whole town did after what he did to stop "The Chopper". He remembered when the Dwarf had first arrived on these docks. At the time, Ben would have wagered that Trapper would have ended up on the sheriff's gallows inside a month. But instead he'd done a lot of good for the folk of Sandpoint. In spite of this, Ben almost laughed as the Dwarf tried to get change for a gold while the others talked around him.

Gozer "Bone Splitter" wrote:
Gozer enters the square along the path leading from the glassworks building.

On the way to the square, Gozer's long stride caused him to outpace a fat merchant and a ship's captain on their way to the same place. They where having a heated conversation about cargo and didn't notice his approach until he was passing them. The merchant almost jumped out of his robes when he caught sight of the scarred giant. The captain was more sanguine and gave Gozer a polite nod as he passed.

Passing between the dyeworks and the glassworks, Gozer could hear murmured conversation and soft laughter coming from the shadows of the alleyway.

The chattering women in front of the dyeworks fell silent as they took in Gozer's arrival. Then one of them whispered something that made them all burst out in peals of laughter. Gozer couldn't hear what they said, but the fat watchman standing there evidently did. His face turned bright red with embarassment. He cast a sidelong look at Gozer before looking quickly away and trying to maintain an appearance of indifference to the goings on. Ben noticed his approach. I hope this ain't trouble. Good thing Maya's here. 'Fatty of the Watch' over there ain't gonna be slowin' this one down if he's looking for a fight.

Gozer "Bone Splitter" wrote:
"I'll take whatever this will fetch me..."
Trapper, Brother of Keith wrote:
He slaps his gold piece on the table next to Gozer's silver and says, "Fish, chips, and any ale that Old Ben can muster are on me if I can have a word with you fine folks over at one of these tables."
Talberon Toil wrote:
As he neared the end of the thoroughfare he saw a plump guard fidgeting at a nearby alley.

The murmuring and laughter that Gozer had heard while passing the alleyway had been replaced by more... primal sounds. The fat watchman blushed again with embarassment as he noticed Talberon passing within earshot.

As he passed in front of the doss-house, a slovenly woman stood in the open door sweeping the step. Behind her Talberon could see a dimly-lit common room filled with straw-tick mattresses. She smiled at Talberon with what little teeth she had. "Looking fer a flop? A copper get's ya a roof o'er yer head an' a blanket. Five get's ya a room upstairs. An' for a silver," her smile widened, "Ya can have some company in that room."

Ben pushed the gold coin back toward Trapper, "{dwarven: Keep it friend, this one's on the house.}" He passed a double portion of fried fish and potatoes to Gozer along with a bowl of fish stew. A large jug of ale came out of a basket nearby and was handed to Trapper along with his food. "{dwarven: For you and your new companions.}"

He watched knowingly as the group went to the table in front of the dyeworks. Aye, there's somethin' stirrin', I'd wager my day's take on it.

The noon bell had rung and the women had returned to their work, though their companion who'd walked off with the handsome watchman still had not returned. The longshoremen were stopping their work for their afternoon meal. Ben had spied Talberon waiting patiently. "If'n your hungry laddie, step on up now. The dockies'll be eating me out of stock in a moment."

The ship's captain and the merchant crossed the square to the guarded warehouse. With a curt nod to the guard from the merchant, all three slipped inside. The fat watchman looked about nervously. His partner was taking to long. They had rounds to finish.

I'm assuming you all go over to the table. It is at Ge. Ben and Talberon are in the center of the square at Ki. I failed to mention earlier but the squares are 10'.


Male Human Cleric/1

Belethor's grin grew even wider as he replied to Maya "Well anything I can get my hands on that gives me some excitement and allows me the use of my sword"

"Ah Tamilius I know a small amount of magic, I am 'cleric' to Gorum God of war" His grin becomes more wry and humourless as he speaks these words, If only it was by choice.

His thoughts were spiralling off to places and people long lost when Trapper beckoned them over to the table "Well I think my time here has..." But there is ale Ok my good Dwarf I will join you With that he strides over to the table, the longsword at his side bouncing slightly with every step and he takes a seat opposite Gozer. "well met fellow... traveller


Human Human Fighter 1

Maya follows them to the table, pretty oblivious to all the other things going on in the square.


Male Human Wizard/1

Finbat(The Cat) purrs loudly as he gobbles up the fish "Thank You" says Tamilius before setting two coppers down For the fish. after Finbat finishes up the fish, Tamilius walks over to the table(that Trapper is it) and sits down in an available seat Well then,Tamilius asks Trapper what is it that you want? Do you perhaps have work for me?


Female French-Canadian

Two things: 1) This is what Finbat looks like; 2) How do I post an avatar like all of you have?


Male Human Barbarian / 1

@Joba: When you go to "My Account" and create your alias or since your alias is created you go to edit alias there is a link for your avatar image. That should be it, then it will let you select an image.

@DM Tippo: Would it be better if we waited to post another entry on what we are doing so you have time to post in response? I would assume conversation with each other is okay but if we do something that interacts with the environment or NPC's to wait for your response. It may flow smoother so you do not have to keep backtracking.

Gozer sitting quietly notices the three men enter the warehouse. He scans the area also noting the large guard standing by the alley. Gozer senses the nervousness of the plump man and wonders if it had anything to do with the sounds he heard down the alley he passed.

Gozer waits patiently for the others to sit at the table. Keeping alert to all of the movement going on in the square.

Using my perception check to keep alert
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

As the others approach the table, Trapper nods for them to sit, in as welcoming a gesture as he can muster.

Looking at the party as they assemble, Trapper thinks, This is just what I hoped. These are good people. Most of the locals have been skittish or downright suspicious lately! By the hammer of Torag at least Old Ben still seems the same.

Turning to Tamilius, Trapper says,
Good sir, the reason I asked for company is because methinks all in Sandpoint is not what it seems these days. Take the womenfolk over there, the ones at that dye shop. They've never been the diamond of their father's mine, but neither have they acted so brazen. And don't get me started on the town's guards. I've known many constables in my time here, but this latest crop has no honor.

perception check to keep alert
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

I have the *worst* damn luck with dice rolls. I guess Trapper doesn't see a damn thing.


Male Human Barbarian / 1

lol


Male Human Wizard/1

Trapper must be blinded by Maya's good looks

I am new here, but I too thought that something seemed wrong. Just one question, my Dwarven friend, may I please know your name?

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (16) - 1 = 15 Tamilius looks around to see if anything seems too unusual


Female French-Canadian

By the way, Tippo, Tamilius speaks Dwarven(and Halfling, Common, Elven and Gnomish) so he heared about Trapper getting free food, it doesn't bother him(Tamilius), I just thought you should know, just in case he spoke in dwarven to keep it secret

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1
Tamilius Zantamia wrote:

Trapper must be blinded by Maya's good looks

I am new here, but I too thought that something seemed wrong. Just one question, my Dwarven friend, may I please know your name?

1d20-1 Tamilius looks around to see if anything seems too unusual

Trapper picks up the bottle of ale and takes a hearty drink.

I am honored that you ask.
I am known as Trapper, Brother to Keith the Scribe, who resides in a manse on the Isle at the Center of the World.
My family originally hails from the Highhelm, and I still long for the majesty of the snow-covered mountains and big sky.

This ale is worthy of a Dwarf!

But for the past 10 years I've been here in Varisa, often travelling the many leagues between Magnimar and Sandpoint, looking for woodworking jobs wherever I might find them.

I finally took up permanent residence here in Sandpoint about a year ago.
These people have been good to me.
And that is a rare thing in this day and age.

Trapper wipes his mouth with his sleeve, and burps.

I am on a quest to discover my family lore, who had dealings in these parts in generations past. We dwarves have long memories, and family is very important to us.

He takes one last swig and then passes the bottle of ale to Tamilius.
Have an ale. 'Tis good for the soul, and pass it around so that all may enjoy!


Male Human Wizard/1

"No thank you," Tamilius says to Trapper "I only drink at night." Tamilius takes the ale and passes it to Belethor. He looks back at the Dwarf "Well then, Trapper, what do you suppose we do? I'm willing to help you, for a price." I wonder what he could have in mind

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

I'm not seeing an explicit adventure hook yet. So I'm not quite sure what Trapper wants to do. Neither does he, btw. But he's not the sharpest stone in the quarry :)


Human Human Fighter 1

DM: I'm not sure how much room there is in the game for us to just propose our own hooks. I'll throw mine out there and if we can get to it cool, but if not no worries or maybe later down the road.

Maya looks them all over appraisingly and says, Well I'm in the market for some sellswords to help me out with settling a matter. Unfortunately, I only have limited coin to pay, but I do have some. I've only recently come to reside in Sandpoint. I moved back here with my late husband Frandor Harlech about a year ago. He grew up in these parts but had been working as a mercenary captain in the Riverlands. That's where I hail from, and that's where we met.

This past winter our homstead was attacked by a rather fiercesome band of goblins, and I've since come to learn that goblin tribes are quite a problem in the region. Frandor and I fought bravely, and drove the little buggers off, but he died in the fight. It wasn't the goblins that brought him down though. He's much to skilled a warrior to be killed by some filthy goblins, even with his bad leg. No it was the two worgs that got him- big savage wolf creatues.

The worgs and several of the goblins fled, and I intend to pay them back. The problem is that I don't know the name of their tribe or exactly where they lair. I do know that their commander, and I'm not sure if he was a chief or a subchief, was a particularly large goblin that had what looked like a dwarf made axe and one of his eyes was milky white. I can't imagine there are too many goblins around that match that description.

I owe the little wretches a dept of blood, but I can't do it on my own. I went to Sheriff Hemlock for help, but he said he couldn't spare men to chase after goblins in the hills. I don't know the wilderness around these parts, and I don't want to raid a goblin lair on my own, so now that spring has arrived and the snows have cleared I figure it's time I found some folk like yerselves to help me out.


Male Human Cleric/1

Belethor takes a deep swig of the ale "Thankyou Tamilius" Nothing beats a nice cool ale for a weary soul. He listens as Tamilus and Trapper talk then quietly says "My name is Belethor and if you don't mind me saying, I don't like how nervous that guard looks." He glances suspiciously over at the sweating man standing anxious by the alley "I suggest that when everyone has ate their fill that we should go have a word with him and see if he needs 'assistance'.".

He speaks quiet but all the people currently at the table are able to hear his words. Looking at the guard here is the perception check for anything useful.

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11


Gozer "Bone Splitter" wrote:

@DM Tippo: Would it be better if we waited to post another entry on what we are doing so you have time to post in response? I would assume conversation with each other is okay but if we do something that interacts with the environment or NPC's to wait for your response. It may flow smoother so you do not have to keep backtracking.

Using my perception check to keep alert

For now don't worry about the pace of all your postings. I'll be doing my best to keep up. You are all doing a very good job of role-playing and I would be loathe to kill your momentum. We might have to adjust in the future.

For Gozer:

perception check:

Your keen ears pick up the sound of an animal grunting coming from the warehouse the merchant and company entered. Interspersed with the grunts is the sound of a whip cracking.


Trapper, Brother of Keith

perception check:

Nope, you don't notice a thing outside what everyone else does.


Tamilius Zantamia wrote:
Tamilius looks around to see if anything seems too unusual

Tamilius

perception check:
Tamilius hears some indistinct sounds coming from the warehouse where the merchant, the captain, and the guard went into.


Joba Tett wrote:
By the way, Tippo, Tamilius speaks Dwarven(and Halfling, Common, Elven and Gnomish) so he heared about Trapper getting free food, it doesn't bother him(Tamilius), I just thought you should know, just in case he spoke in dwarven to keep it secret

Noted. Ben wasn't trying to keep a secret though. From his background description I've decided that Trapper is a bit of a local hero and Ben spoke dwarven as a sign of respect.

Maya also isn't a stranger in Sandpoint and, though not as famous as Trapper, she enjoys a favorable reputation among the townsfolk who recognize her.

The rest of you, unless of I've missed something (and point it out if I have), are new to town and the locals are neutral to you. Except Gozer who, as a big, scary Barbarian, is going to engender some nervousness among the people until they get to know him better. Maybe even after that, depending on his actions.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1
Maya Harlech wrote:

No it was the two worgs that got him- big savage wolf creatues.[/b]

Your husband sounds like he was a brave man, and it breaks my heart to see a good man lost to such vile creatures.

Maya Harlech wrote:


a particularly large goblin that had what looked like a dwarf made axe.
Trapper's nostrils flare, and he speaks through clenched teeth, "A goblin using a Dwarf's ax?! That makes my blood boil like the lava under Emporer's Peak.
Maya Harlech wrote:


I owe the little wretches a dept of blood, but I can't do it on my own.

You do indeed. And if I can be of assistance, you need only to ask. And I need no payment upfront. Just a share of the spoils, and perhaps my people's ax if we can locate it."


Trapper, Brother of Keith wrote:
I'm not seeing an explicit adventure hook yet.
Maya Harlech wrote:
DM: I'm not sure how much room there is in the game for us to just propose our own hooks. I'll throw mine out there and if we can get to it cool, but if not no worries or maybe later down the road.

There's plenty of room for you all to suggest hooks. I love it when players give me material to work from and I've been giving all your character backgrounds a great deal of attention for just that reason. But please don't be offended if I don't use all the hooks you propose or change them a bit to work them into the flow of things.

By the same token, I don't mind my players 'set dressing' like when Trapper placed a table over by the dyeworks. You can all imagine the scene as well as I, and if it doesn't interfere with something I've planned and makes sense in the context (why wouldn't there be a table out front?), I'm okay with it. I just reserve the right to say 'no' if I have a reason for not wanting something in a scene.

Something specific will be happening soon. I'd planned this as an 'event' scene where something would happen that would bring you all together, but you've been doing a good job of introductions among yourselves. My lunch break is almost over and I won't be able to post anything substantial until this evening. You can continue the character conversations. If someone talks to the Fat Watchman, you'll have to wait for me. Or if someone investigates something around the square the same applies.


Male Human Wizard/1

Tamilius looks at Maya "I'm willing to help, but I'd like a share of whatever we find, I do have to make a living." Lets just hope this doesn't end up getting me killed


Male Human Wizard / 1st
Lady Sweeping wrote:
"Looking fer a flop? A copper get's ya a roof o'er yer head an' a blanket. Five get's ya a room upstairs. An' for a silver," her smile widened, "Ya can have some company in that room."

With a young man's blush, Talberon declined, "Thank you... erm Ma'am, but I should be... uh, good for the time being." With that, he turned to the fish barker's words.

Ben wrote:
Ben had spied Talberon waiting patiently. "If'n your hungry laddie, step on up now. The dockies'll be eating me out of stock in a moment."

"Very good," Talberon said walking over to the fish monger, "a bowl will do nicely." He handed the Dwarf his three coppers and took his serving before looking around. It seemed crowded. As he thought about his options, the smell and warmth radiating from his basket of fish and potatoes flung him into action.

Standing as upright as he could, attempting to command attention as an adult, he walked over to the table that seemed quite crowded.

"Is there room for another," he said accidentally hitting his sword scabbard against the table, as he turned to see all present. His face blushed slightly. 'Damnable luck!' he thought, 'How am I to appear as a bladed man if I can't control this sword during the simplest of things?!'

The best he could size up, while stumbling over his own sword, was three male humans, one rather large at that, a woman, and a Dwarf.

Perception:1d20 ⇒ 17

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1
Talberon Toil wrote:
["Is there room for another"

Please, take a load off your feet, have some ale and a piece of hearty bread with your soup. We were just listening to the fair lady's tragic story, and we were wondering if there's anything that we can do to help her put some goblins in an early grave.

Trapper clenches his fists as he says this.

Trapper then nods his head in the direction of the alley, and mentions the "primal sounds" that everyone seems to have heard.

We have a motto in Highhelm: Live Free or Die. Guards and constables often get in the way of good business, if you ask me. What I like about Sandpoint is officials are usually seen and not heard, if you'll forgive the pun.

But that, he says and shudders, is just wrong. I don't mean wrong in the sense of 'right' and 'wrong'. I mean, there is a wrongness about it.


Male Human Barbarian / 1

Quietly:I don't know about the sounds coming from the alley, Gozer nods his head in that direction. but there are some animal noises coming from the warehouse over there.

Raising his voice slightly so everyone can hear him:at Maya Where there are goblins there are orcs... Gozer takes a bite of his meal.

and where there are orcs you will find my axe! Gozers fist slams down on the table rattling everyones bowls.

He stands: My name is Gozer Bone Splitter and I am a warrior from the far reaches of the Worldwound and no monster shall stand in my way!

He stares at Maya intently: If you find me battle woman my axe is yours...

Gozer sits back down: I have journeyed far from my land in search of monsters to slaughter... for now I am searching for the vicious creature known as the Sand Devil, I may find it traveling with you...

Gozer takes another bite of his meal and takes in every member at the table stopping at each one measuring posture and skill, his gaze finally stopping on Talberon as his sword clangs against the table.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

I thought the "primal sounds" were coming from an alley. My mistake, not Trapper's :)


Human Human Fighter 1

I've heard mention of this Sandpoint Devil. It's lair is probably out in the surrounding countryside. We might be able to solve both problems at once.

I can't guarantee there will be orcs to kill. I haven't heard much of orcs in these parts, but I haven't been living here long either. Goblins aren't exactly my idea of worthy opponents. Killing goblins is like killing really ugly, bratty children, but like I said there's one tribe out there that I owe a debt of blood, and I'd very much like to collect that debt in the next few weeks. I can offer each of you 10 gp to help me, and I'd propose we evenly share any of the spoils we find, though I can't promise that goblins will have much more than meagre loot.

However, like I said I don't know exactly where their lair is. Do any of you know of anyone in town who knows the countryside well and would be able to help us find the goblins I'm looking for? I've heard mention of ranger woman that knows the backcountry around here well. I believe her name was Shalalu, but I'm not sure how to find her.


Female French-Canadian

"10 gold will be enough for my services." Tamilius says to Maya "Perhaps we should find this Shalalu?"

Where can I find info on Sandpoint and places in this setting for free, or do I have to buy it?

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Rogue / 1

Trapper recoils visibly, the blood draining from his face.

Mi'lady, Trapper says, his voice trembling, When I arrived in Sandpoint, there was a brutal madman murdering helpless people, cutting out their tongues and gouging out their eyes for some unholy purpose that only he knew about. I was with Sherriff Avertin when he gave his life to kill that demon in man's clothing. His crimes were the most revolting and disgusting things I'd ever witnessed

.
Trapper stares directly at Maya.

The Sandpoint Devil is worse.

1 to 50 of 590 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A Fine Day at the Docks All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.