Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

The Shackled City Adventure Path by GM Rutseg

Game Master Balacertar

Cauldron's map
Current map

Campaign diary
Loot sheet
Old loot sheet (Maxim)

Group Stealth (passive): -6 (Kikinnin)
Group Stealth (active): 4 (Kikinnin)
Group Perception: 21 (Marigold)
Group Sense motives: 24 (Marigold)
Group Spellcraft: 20 (Maxim)
Group Appraise: 20 (Maxim)


5,551 to 5,600 of 5,807 << first < prev | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | next > last >>

Male HP59/59; LoH 2/3 (3d6); AC 21(24 SoF), Touch 14, Flat-footed 18, Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 6; Perception +11 (+13 vs humans, +15 vs evil outsiders; extra +2 in urban; +4 in abyss)

"Didn't we learn something about some fish-men ?" asks JJ

"Like the one on the door? Or is that the demon queen that you were referring to your Majesty"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M HP 54/54 | AC 19, touch 11, flat-footed 18 | Fort +9, Ref +3, Will +11 | Init +1, Perception +8, Stealth +1 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 5/5 (3d6 ) | Inspiring Word 7/7 (last 3 round) |Judgement 1/1 | Agile Feet 7/7 |Cleric Spells (1st -5/5, 2nd-5/5, 3rd-4/4) | Inquisitor Spells (1st 2/2)

Ryan listens to their entreaties to the would be monarch, unsure if he had much to add. It sounded as if they had touched on the topics he knew of.

GM, I'm on the road now, will try to post daily but bot if needed


HP 40/63 l AC 19, T 11, FF 19 l CMD 13 l F +6, R +3, W +8; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (0/2), L1: 3/7, L2: 3/7, L3: 2/5 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +12
Skills:
Diplomacy +11, Heal +9, Kn. Arcana +6, Kn. Local +5, Kn. Planes +8, Kn. Religion +6, Kn. Geography +6, Kn. History +10, Profession: Librarian +10, Sense Motive +15, Spellcraft +8, Concentration +11
Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 7 l Active Conditions: Prayer l Hero Points 2/3

"You're r-right, I th-think all these n-names are n-nonsense but I'm h-hoping they'll m-match up with actual landmarks on the m-map," Marigold responds to Juraan while Kikinnin distracts Crazy Jared with the map. "Th-That's the b-best way I know of to m-make sense of the things he s-says."


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Jared extends the map and stops at a name in the corner with a question mark "Oh, so you look for Bhal-Hamatugn?" he immediately casts comprehend languages "It sounds Kuo-Toan, this phrase that trips ill from my tongue. In the third declension, it means 'lucky blackness.' Or perhaps 'black fish' - my Kuo-Toan is somewhat rusty"

"Is that mean you look for an entrance to Kuo-Toan land?" the man looks at you like if you where crazy "Indeed there is an entrance near here, a foul place known as the Pit of the Seven Jaws. If some servant will fetch me something to write I can easily sketch you how to reach it in your map. Just last week I sent five hundred of Anduria's finest there to guard against an incursion by the mind flayers"


Dwarf Wizard (Spellslinger) 5/(Unchained) Rogue 2 | HP 39/39 | AC 18/T14/FF15 | F+4, R+8, W+6 | Perc +7, Dark Vision 60ft. | Init +3 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Grit: 3/3
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Skills:
+15: Dis Device; +14 Cr.Alchemy; +11: Kn.Local/Sen.Motive/Spellcraft; +10: Appraise/Cr.Weapons/Kn.Arcana/Kn.Dungeon; +8: Lore.Malachite/Lore.Jzadirune/Prof. Merchant/Sl.of Hand/Stealth; +7 Lore. Darklands

Maxim stoically puffs on his stogie as his friends continue to pan for nuggets of sanity amongst Jared's delusional ramblings.

When madman finally focuses on the mention of Kuo-Toa, the gun-mage's eyes narrow.

Finally gettin' somewhere...


Male HP59/59; LoH 2/3 (3d6); AC 21(24 SoF), Touch 14, Flat-footed 18, Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 6; Perception +11 (+13 vs humans, +15 vs evil outsiders; extra +2 in urban; +4 in abyss)

JJ fishes around for a pencil, and then goes and gets a stick of charcoal from the burning "palace".

"The finest pen that a crafsman could produce!" he says, presenting it with a plume.


Dwarven Ratcatcher HP 74 l AC 23, T 11, FF 22 l CMD 20 l F +11, R +8, W +9; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin looks over Crazy Jared's newly-added scrawl on the map, before showing it to the others. He turns back to old man. "Well, now you've gone and mentioned 'Seven Jaws' and an 'incursion', Cra... uh, Your Majesty. It would ease our anxiety, our fear of the unknown, if you happened to know more, and could tell us. What's a mind flayer, and are the 'Seven Jaws' real, or more of an old saying with regards to rock formations or somesuch?"

Knowledge(Dungeoneering/Aberrations?): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19


status:
Mage Armour: AC 18 (t 12) (ff 16) | F+6, R+4, W+5 | CMB +5 CMD 17 | Init +2, Per +10, SM +1 | speed 30 ft | Acid Ray (1d6+3) 6/day | HP 35/39 | Hero Points 0/3
Human Male:
Racial Traits: +2 to One Ability (CHA), Bonus Feat, Skilled
Archer 1 / Crossblooded Sorcerer 6 (Black Draconic and Earth Elemental bloodlines)

"Now we're talking!", Juraan whispers to Marigold.


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Jared looks confused at Kikinnin's words, his eyes go all around the place "Oh, mindflayers? Yes, they are evil monsters that want to control Anduria by consuming the brains of my serves"

"The 'Pit of the Seven Jaws'! Oh have you not heard about that ill place?" Jared looks at the floor and draws a pit, and seven dragon heads within it "It's a pit with seven jaws"

"Is it there something obscure you need to research on? I can call my sages and bring whatever obscure knowledge you need to your" Jared looks with satisfaction at the group "You proved to serve the cause of Anduria and that will be my payment for it"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 40/63 l AC 19, T 11, FF 19 l CMD 13 l F +6, R +3, W +8; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (0/2), L1: 3/7, L2: 3/7, L3: 2/5 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +12
Skills:
Diplomacy +11, Heal +9, Kn. Arcana +6, Kn. Local +5, Kn. Planes +8, Kn. Religion +6, Kn. Geography +6, Kn. History +10, Profession: Librarian +10, Sense Motive +15, Spellcraft +8, Concentration +11
Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 7 l Active Conditions: Prayer l Hero Points 2/3

"W-Wait...can we go b-back to the part where the m-mindflayers eat b-brains?" Marigold asks with alarm. "That c-concerns me a b-bit. Is n-no one else c-concerned about that??"


Male HP59/59; LoH 2/3 (3d6); AC 21(24 SoF), Touch 14, Flat-footed 18, Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 6; Perception +11 (+13 vs humans, +15 vs evil outsiders; extra +2 in urban; +4 in abyss)

"I think..." says JJ with false confidence. "they only eat the kings servants brains.."

He smiles, not at all worried by the crazy mans words.
After all, he has totally lost the plot

"They probably wouldn't worry about ours."


status:
Mage Armour: AC 18 (t 12) (ff 16) | F+6, R+4, W+5 | CMB +5 CMD 17 | Init +2, Per +10, SM +1 | speed 30 ft | Acid Ray (1d6+3) 6/day | HP 35/39 | Hero Points 0/3
Human Male:
Racial Traits: +2 to One Ability (CHA), Bonus Feat, Skilled
Archer 1 / Crossblooded Sorcerer 6 (Black Draconic and Earth Elemental bloodlines)

"A pit with seven jaws? Strange. Stairs or doors, maybe?"

"How far and what direction are those mindflayers?"


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Jared stops thinking for a long while before answering Juraan "They are plotting against us. They are everywhere"


Dwarven Ratcatcher HP 74 l AC 23, T 11, FF 22 l CMD 20 l F +11, R +8, W +9; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin listens to Crazy Jared much like a cat would watch a rathole, waiting for a concrete vermin to show its head, rather than the dust bunnies that keep spilling out of Crazy Jared's mouth. He leaps on the seven dragon heads as concrete enough.

"Juraan just downed one dragon, Your Majesty. So, is it safe to say that seven is now six? Would you know the other colors of those other dragon heads?"

The black-beard feels more questions welling up, so he tamps them down like cheap tabac, knowing that the more questions he asks at once, the likelier Crazy Jared's mind will wander.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarf Wizard (Spellslinger) 5/(Unchained) Rogue 2 | HP 39/39 | AC 18/T14/FF15 | F+4, R+8, W+6 | Perc +7, Dark Vision 60ft. | Init +3 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Grit: 3/3
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Skills:
+15: Dis Device; +14 Cr.Alchemy; +11: Kn.Local/Sen.Motive/Spellcraft; +10: Appraise/Cr.Weapons/Kn.Arcana/Kn.Dungeon; +8: Lore.Malachite/Lore.Jzadirune/Prof. Merchant/Sl.of Hand/Stealth; +7 Lore. Darklands

Maxim takes a puff of his stogie and wryly adds;

"Them Mind Flayers chow on brains? Huh. Guess that means Surabar and my bror here will have naught to fear..."

The gun-mage muses further;

"Pit o' The Seven Jaws could also be just one creature... A hydra or some such? Perhaps its the beast that caused our dear departed wyrm tangled with? Ain't sure if they come in a seven headed variety? Prof, you got any predications on what might be lurking there?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Ratcatcher HP 74 l AC 23, T 11, FF 22 l CMD 20 l F +11, R +8, W +9; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin nods, smiling, before the smile fades and the black-beard cocks his head, as it dawns on him why it is he wouldn't have to fear a mind flayer attack.

Maxim wrote:
"Pit o' The Seven Jaws could also be just one creature..."

"That doesn't seem any better. Seven jaws, seven heads, one body? Seven jaws, one head, one body? Never tussled with one of those hydra creatures..." Kikinnin turns to look at JJ.

"You fixing to charge Seven Jaws as soon as you set eyes on more than two of 'em, JJ? You saw what ranged attacks of magic looked like just now, so you might want to rein in your ambition this time, and give Maxim and Juraan a chance to engage from a distance, first."


Male HP59/59; LoH 2/3 (3d6); AC 21(24 SoF), Touch 14, Flat-footed 18, Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 6; Perception +11 (+13 vs humans, +15 vs evil outsiders; extra +2 in urban; +4 in abyss)

"A Hydra?" says the horrified lad.

"I remember hearing stories about them in the Orphanage. They always ate the naughty kids..."

He looks aghast. "You mean they actually exist?"


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Jared ponders Kikinnin's question marveled "Wait... you think Gotrrod has anything to do with the pit?" his eyes widen "As your King I command you to visit the Pit of Seven Jaws and find out before it is too late!"


HP 40/63 l AC 19, T 11, FF 19 l CMD 13 l F +6, R +3, W +8; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (0/2), L1: 3/7, L2: 3/7, L3: 2/5 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +12
Skills:
Diplomacy +11, Heal +9, Kn. Arcana +6, Kn. Local +5, Kn. Planes +8, Kn. Religion +6, Kn. Geography +6, Kn. History +10, Profession: Librarian +10, Sense Motive +15, Spellcraft +8, Concentration +11
Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 7 l Active Conditions: Prayer l Hero Points 2/3

"All k-kinds of things exist outside our little b-bubbles," Marigold responds softly, thinking back to the disturbing dreams she'd had of late. "S-Some good b-but mostly j-just horrible. M-Most of the time we're lucky and they stay outside those b-bubbles. And m-most of the time we're sm-smart enough to stay away from the d-dark places where they lurk. B-But sometimes we aren't and even if we g-get away, those th-things follow us h-home - in one w-way or another."

She sighs. "It s-sounds like this P-Pit is our b-best lead from here. We sh-should p-prepare as b-best as we can and then g-go investigate."


Dwarven Ratcatcher HP 74 l AC 23, T 11, FF 22 l CMD 20 l F +11, R +8, W +9; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin's jaw sets as Crazy Jared pronounces himself King of the Watchers, but only to prevent argumentative words from falling out. Why do the crazy ones always ranks themselves as kings or gods? Why can't they color themselves bakers or thatchers?

"Your Majesty, did you pass through the Demon Doors, or was there some other way to your land? If you can tell us more of the Demon Doors, I'd be grateful."

When the group is ready to brave the Pit, Kikinnin produces the Map, and tries to gain his bearings before heading out. If others are better versed at map-reading, he lets them point the way.


status:
Mage Armour: AC 18 (t 12) (ff 16) | F+6, R+4, W+5 | CMB +5 CMD 17 | Init +2, Per +10, SM +1 | speed 30 ft | Acid Ray (1d6+3) 6/day | HP 35/39 | Hero Points 0/3
Human Male:
Racial Traits: +2 to One Ability (CHA), Bonus Feat, Skilled
Archer 1 / Crossblooded Sorcerer 6 (Black Draconic and Earth Elemental bloodlines)

Juraan continues taking notes from Jared's ravings.
Hoping they correspond somewhat to their map.

"Oh, yes. Any other visitors to your realm lately, Majesty?"


Dwarf Wizard (Spellslinger) 5/(Unchained) Rogue 2 | HP 39/39 | AC 18/T14/FF15 | F+4, R+8, W+6 | Perc +7, Dark Vision 60ft. | Init +3 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Grit: 3/3
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Skills:
+15: Dis Device; +14 Cr.Alchemy; +11: Kn.Local/Sen.Motive/Spellcraft; +10: Appraise/Cr.Weapons/Kn.Arcana/Kn.Dungeon; +8: Lore.Malachite/Lore.Jzadirune/Prof. Merchant/Sl.of Hand/Stealth; +7 Lore. Darklands

As the others indulge the madman, Maxim finishes his stogie as he listens and mulls.

He flashes a wry smile as Kikinnin's reaction to Jared's "regal edict", then nods with grim resignation;

"Pit it is then. Who know's what we'll find there... Best we rest up, recharge and ready ourselves though. Hydra or whatever the place sounds like it'll test us."


Male HP59/59; LoH 2/3 (3d6); AC 21(24 SoF), Touch 14, Flat-footed 18, Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 6; Perception +11 (+13 vs humans, +15 vs evil outsiders; extra +2 in urban; +4 in abyss)

"Yes..." agrees JJ. "Given I've been beaten unconscious in the last two fights we have had against large creatures... I for one could do with a rest..."

He looks at the burning hut, concluding there may be limited "rest" here.

"Your majesty.... what was the dragon saying when we arrived? There was a name.. do you know who that belongs to?"


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"The name the dragon was asking was Dhorlot, he asked about his lair." and looking to Juraan "The dragon was the last visitor. There has been a long time without visitors to our Realm"

The group has not problem having a rest at Jared's place. The supplies are being consumed quickly.


Male HP59/59; LoH 2/3 (3d6); AC 21(24 SoF), Touch 14, Flat-footed 18, Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 6; Perception +11 (+13 vs humans, +15 vs evil outsiders; extra +2 in urban; +4 in abyss)

"Who is this Dhorlot? Is he another dragon?"


Dwarven Ratcatcher HP 74 l AC 23, T 11, FF 22 l CMD 20 l F +11, R +8, W +9; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin settles in, and decides to question saner people. "If I remember, Juraan, you described the Kuo Toa as fishy slavers. Are we going swimming?" The dwarf adjusts his armor uncomfortably to demonstrate his concern.

When JJ continues to inquire with Crazy Jared, Kikinnin shakes his head. Boy's itching for more fights than his body can endure. He keeps turning up names and sniffing them over, we'll never get back to Cauldron...


Dwarf Wizard (Spellslinger) 5/(Unchained) Rogue 2 | HP 39/39 | AC 18/T14/FF15 | F+4, R+8, W+6 | Perc +7, Dark Vision 60ft. | Init +3 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Grit: 3/3
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Skills:
+15: Dis Device; +14 Cr.Alchemy; +11: Kn.Local/Sen.Motive/Spellcraft; +10: Appraise/Cr.Weapons/Kn.Arcana/Kn.Dungeon; +8: Lore.Malachite/Lore.Jzadirune/Prof. Merchant/Sl.of Hand/Stealth; +7 Lore. Darklands

Maxim continues to listen to the interplay, mulling names and words discussed for significance;

Lore (Darklands) - to recognise Dhorlot?: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

At Kikinnin's concern at getting a dunking, the gun-mage nods in agreement;

"I ain't fer getting my beard wet neither. Pistol's an water ain't a good mix..."


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Jared shrugs, but Maxim thinks the name definitely sounds as draconic.

Once everything is packed back and you are to set up for your trip, Jared says to you goodbye "See you soon back and successful for your Crusade against the demon-queen my knights!"

As you leave you see Jared back casting spells that create the image of a gargantuan palace of polished stone.

The map is helpful and at this point you have become experts at moving through the oppressive tunnels of the Darklands. Another twenty miles on reasonably clear tunnels lead you to the Pit of the Sven Jaws, as marked in the map.

This forty-foot-wide pit scars an otherwise unremark­able tunel, surrounded by low mounds of rock that once filled the hole. A metal­ grate stairway spirals counter-clockwise down the interior surface of the pit. The pit bottom is dimly visible some sixty feet below. With the stairway in the way, the walls of the pit near the bottom are hidden from view.


Male HP59/59; LoH 2/3 (3d6); AC 21(24 SoF), Touch 14, Flat-footed 18, Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 6; Perception +11 (+13 vs humans, +15 vs evil outsiders; extra +2 in urban; +4 in abyss)

"Think we can rest up a tad before going down there? Or do you recon we'll just have nightmares anyway?" smiles JJ.

"I didn't think this place could get any darker, but that pit oozes it."


HP 40/63 l AC 19, T 11, FF 19 l CMD 13 l F +6, R +3, W +8; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (0/2), L1: 3/7, L2: 3/7, L3: 2/5 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +12
Skills:
Diplomacy +11, Heal +9, Kn. Arcana +6, Kn. Local +5, Kn. Planes +8, Kn. Religion +6, Kn. Geography +6, Kn. History +10, Profession: Librarian +10, Sense Motive +15, Spellcraft +8, Concentration +11
Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 7 l Active Conditions: Prayer l Hero Points 2/3

"I'm f-fine to keep g-going but I know not all of us were l-lucky enough to g-get through that last sc-scrape unharmed," Marigold replies, eyeing the pit nervously. "S-So if we want to r-rest first I'm f-fine with that."


Dwarf Wizard (Spellslinger) 5/(Unchained) Rogue 2 | HP 39/39 | AC 18/T14/FF15 | F+4, R+8, W+6 | Perc +7, Dark Vision 60ft. | Init +3 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Grit: 3/3
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Skills:
+15: Dis Device; +14 Cr.Alchemy; +11: Kn.Local/Sen.Motive/Spellcraft; +10: Appraise/Cr.Weapons/Kn.Arcana/Kn.Dungeon; +8: Lore.Malachite/Lore.Jzadirune/Prof. Merchant/Sl.of Hand/Stealth; +7 Lore. Darklands

Just to confirm - did we rest up at Jared's "Palace" or we planning on resting now at edge of the 7 Maws?? (which strikes me as chancing out luck a little...)


Dwarven Ratcatcher HP 74 l AC 23, T 11, FF 22 l CMD 20 l F +11, R +8, W +9; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

I think we rested.

"We need to get to the bottom as quickly as possible. If we get attacked, the risk of falling further than we'd like is more likely, the higher up we find ourselves."

Kikinnin tosses a rock over the edge, and listens.

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


Male HP59/59; LoH 2/3 (3d6); AC 21(24 SoF), Touch 14, Flat-footed 18, Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 6; Perception +11 (+13 vs humans, +15 vs evil outsiders; extra +2 in urban; +4 in abyss)

Thinking about it a bit more, I'm assuming we rested and healed up. Why would we wait to do that at a pit of evil?

JJ winces as the rock clatters down the pit. "Care to just ring the doorbell?" he says, braving a catty remark at the dwarf for the first time in ...... ages.

"I suggest either Maxim or myself goes first. Checking very carefully for the traps that are surely scattered through here."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Ratcatcher HP 74 l AC 23, T 11, FF 22 l CMD 20 l F +11, R +8, W +9; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin lifts his arms, and swings them to and fro, allowing his not-so-quiet armor to do the speaking, in response to JJ's quip. "If you're all that interested in meeting the Seven Jaws ahead of us louder folk, by all means. Not so sure Maxim would agree with joining you." He turns a raised eyebrow on the yellow-beard.

"Boy thinks there's going to be traps about, when there's a nasty creature or seven to discourage trespassers. That should be enough. A Pit, and Seven Jaws."


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

As soon as the first of you tests with his foot on the metal grate, the metal against metal resounds all over down the pit. The grate seems extremely creaky.
Stealth checks will take -10 if you are interested in

I understood you wanted to rest at Jared, but if you prefer different think, you can rest here or just go ahead faster to your destiny. Waiting on your decision about resting and who/how goes first/walking order.


HP 40/63 l AC 19, T 11, FF 19 l CMD 13 l F +6, R +3, W +8; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (0/2), L1: 3/7, L2: 3/7, L3: 2/5 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +12
Skills:
Diplomacy +11, Heal +9, Kn. Arcana +6, Kn. Local +5, Kn. Planes +8, Kn. Religion +6, Kn. Geography +6, Kn. History +10, Profession: Librarian +10, Sense Motive +15, Spellcraft +8, Concentration +11
Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 7 l Active Conditions: Prayer l Hero Points 2/3

I think resting at Jared's would make more sense and be a little safer so I'd vote for that. Consider MG and JJ to be slightly addled or something re: their comments about resting at the pit? :)


status:
Mage Armour: AC 18 (t 12) (ff 16) | F+6, R+4, W+5 | CMB +5 CMD 17 | Init +2, Per +10, SM +1 | speed 30 ft | Acid Ray (1d6+3) 6/day | HP 35/39 | Hero Points 0/3
Human Male:
Racial Traits: +2 to One Ability (CHA), Bonus Feat, Skilled
Archer 1 / Crossblooded Sorcerer 6 (Black Draconic and Earth Elemental bloodlines)

I too think resting is a good idea.
Especially at the rate our recent fights have burnt up resources!

Responding to Kikinnin and Maxim's concerns about getting wet.
"We may well have to get wet if we deal the Kuo-Toa."
"I'd rather not either, but that is their preferred element."
"If possible, we need to draw them out of that."

later, at the pit

"With the sound this grating makes, I think stealth might be a lost cause."
"Still, no point in making more noise than we should."
"Maxim and Kikinnin, you should know better than the rest of us; do you think this grating sound and stable?"
"For me, the noise it makes does not inspire confidence."


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

K. engineering DC 10:

The grate is in good state.

>=15:

The grate seems constructed not many years ago. And it is certainly of dwarven architecture.

>=20:

There are no obvious weaknesses in the structure. It is well anchored to the walls around the pit. Thus, collapsing the grate should require a considerable effort to break this anchoring points in at least a third of their number.


status:
Mage Armour: AC 18 (t 12) (ff 16) | F+6, R+4, W+5 | CMB +5 CMD 17 | Init +2, Per +10, SM +1 | speed 30 ft | Acid Ray (1d6+3) 6/day | HP 35/39 | Hero Points 0/3
Human Male:
Racial Traits: +2 to One Ability (CHA), Bonus Feat, Skilled
Archer 1 / Crossblooded Sorcerer 6 (Black Draconic and Earth Elemental bloodlines)

knowledge (engineering): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Of course I totally forgot Juraan has that skill; coffee time! :P

"The grate does seem to be in a good state. It is creaky, though."


Dwarven Ratcatcher HP 74 l AC 23, T 11, FF 22 l CMD 20 l F +11, R +8, W +9; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Knowledge(Engineering), Untrained: 1d20 ⇒ 15

Kikinnin shrugs. "The metal probably doesn't get much foot traffic, what with the Seven Jaws skulking about."

The black-beard stands at the top of the pit, and watches into the darkness for signs of movement. "Alright, it's now or never. You all get a move on. Let's see what stirs, once you start making noise on the metal."


Male HP59/59; LoH 2/3 (3d6); AC 21(24 SoF), Touch 14, Flat-footed 18, Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 6; Perception +11 (+13 vs humans, +15 vs evil outsiders; extra +2 in urban; +4 in abyss)

The rested and recovered JJ draws his swords and then starts down, as quietly as he can.

stealth: 1d20 + 9 - 10 ⇒ (8) + 9 - 10 = 7


HP 40/63 l AC 19, T 11, FF 19 l CMD 13 l F +6, R +3, W +8; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (0/2), L1: 3/7, L2: 3/7, L3: 2/5 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +12
Skills:
Diplomacy +11, Heal +9, Kn. Arcana +6, Kn. Local +5, Kn. Planes +8, Kn. Religion +6, Kn. Geography +6, Kn. History +10, Profession: Librarian +10, Sense Motive +15, Spellcraft +8, Concentration +11
Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 7 l Active Conditions: Prayer l Hero Points 2/3

"R-Right...l-let's get g-going," Marigold nods, ready to let Kikinnin or maybe JJ lead the way down.


status:
Mage Armour: AC 18 (t 12) (ff 16) | F+6, R+4, W+5 | CMB +5 CMD 17 | Init +2, Per +10, SM +1 | speed 30 ft | Acid Ray (1d6+3) 6/day | HP 35/39 | Hero Points 0/3
Human Male:
Racial Traits: +2 to One Ability (CHA), Bonus Feat, Skilled
Archer 1 / Crossblooded Sorcerer 6 (Black Draconic and Earth Elemental bloodlines)

"Very good. Lead on, then."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarf Wizard (Spellslinger) 5/(Unchained) Rogue 2 | HP 39/39 | AC 18/T14/FF15 | F+4, R+8, W+6 | Perc +7, Dark Vision 60ft. | Init +3 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Grit: 3/3
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Skills:
+15: Dis Device; +14 Cr.Alchemy; +11: Kn.Local/Sen.Motive/Spellcraft; +10: Appraise/Cr.Weapons/Kn.Arcana/Kn.Dungeon; +8: Lore.Malachite/Lore.Jzadirune/Prof. Merchant/Sl.of Hand/Stealth; +7 Lore. Darklands

Spells Prepped for the expedition: 0-Level [Detect Magic]; 1st Level [Disrupt Undead, Magic Missile, Magic Weapon & True Strike]; 2nd Level [Bull's Strength, Glitterdust & Knock] & 3rd Level [Lightning Bolt & Tongues]

Having attuned both his old hand gunne and Smaug Maxim checks they are locked, loaded and holstered before nodding at the others;

"Let's get this shindig underway then folks..."

At JJ's clumsy attempt to creep into the "Pit", the gun-mage shoots him a hard smile;

"Ain't worth the effort Surabar. Iffin' you can't tread soft, no way my bror does..."

The dwur peers past the young swordsman attempting to see or hear anything untoward;

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17


Dwarven Ratcatcher HP 74 l AC 23, T 11, FF 22 l CMD 20 l F +11, R +8, W +9; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

"Maxim, Juraan, you both able to strike at Seven Jaws from up top? The drop looks about 60'. Not sure the creature or creatures will be able to run up the metal grate at us. If they're big enough, they're waiting for us to get to the bottom, where they're more maneuverable."

Kikinnin listens ably enough to the noise JJ makes, and nods. "Just be ready to retreat if we're facing something as large as either Worm or Dragon." The black-beard waits up top, to give the boy his due in his attempts to stealth downwards.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Group stealth: 4 - 10 = -6
Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 9

Perception:

Target stealth+distance+poor visibility (vision in the dark required): 1d20 + 1 + 4 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 1 + 4 + 5 = 22
Kikinnin (+2 stones): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
Maxim (+2 stones): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Initiative:

JJ: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Kikinnin: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Marigold: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Maxim: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Juraan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Ryan: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Foes: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Undraw
Ryan: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Foes: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

As soon as the group steps on the northwest landing, a creature emerges from somewhere at the bottom of the pit. Seven angry snake-like heads rise from the sleek, serpentine body of the terrifying monster. The heads open exhaling a freezing mist of ice that showers Kikinnin and JJ!
Breath weapon (Ref DC 17, cold damage): 3d6 ⇒ (3, 5, 6) = 14

K. arcana DC 18:
This is an hydra, a neutral huge magical beast.
A hydra can be killed by severing all of its heads or slaying its body. Any attack that is not an attempt to sever a head affects the body, including area attacks. To sever a head, an opponent must make a sunder attempt with a slashing weapon targeting a head. A hydra can’t attack with a severed head, but takes no other penalties.
Hydra's quickly regenerate life.
When a hydra’s head is destroyed, two heads regrow in 1d4 rounds. A hydra cannot have more than twice its original number of heads at any one time.
>=23:
This type in particular is a Cryohidra. They have cold breaths and are vulnerable to fire.
They also have combat reflexes and 10' reach with their seven heads.
To prevent new heads from growing, at least 5 points of acid or fire damage must be dealt to the stump (a touch attack to hit) before they appear. Acid or fire damage from area attacks can affect stumps and the body simultaneously. A hydra doesn’t die from losing its heads until all are cut off and the stumps seared by acid or fire.

Round 1: Juraan, Kikinnin, JJ, Marigold, Foe, Ryan, Maxim

The NW landing is 30' over the floor. The SW landing is 15' over the floor. The hydra is 15' tall, thus moving to the SW landing will probably generate AoO from its heads.
The grate offers just a decreased cover (2 AC)


HP 40/63 l AC 19, T 11, FF 19 l CMD 13 l F +6, R +3, W +8; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (0/2), L1: 3/7, L2: 3/7, L3: 2/5 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +12
Skills:
Diplomacy +11, Heal +9, Kn. Arcana +6, Kn. Local +5, Kn. Planes +8, Kn. Religion +6, Kn. Geography +6, Kn. History +10, Profession: Librarian +10, Sense Motive +15, Spellcraft +8, Concentration +11
Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 7 l Active Conditions: Prayer l Hero Points 2/3

Kn. Arcana: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

"ಅಲ್ಲಿ ಅದು! ಎಲ್ಲಾ ತಲೆಗಳನ್ನು ಕತ್ತರಿಸಿ ಅಥವಾ ದೇಹವನ್ನು ನಾಶಮಾಡು! ಆದರೆ ನಾವು ಅದನ್ನು ವೇಗವಾಗಿ ಮಾಡಬೇಕಾದುದು ಅಥವಾ ಮುಖ್ಯಸ್ಥರ ಪುನರುಜ್ಜೀವನವನ್ನು ಮಾಡಬೇಕು!" Marigold cries as she bolsters them all with Sarenrae's blessing.

Celestial:

"Th-there it is! Cut off all the h-heads or destroy the b-body! But we have to d-do it fast or the h-heads regrow!"

______

Marigold will cast Prayer to get this party started!


Dwarven Ratcatcher HP 74 l AC 23, T 11, FF 22 l CMD 20 l F +11, R +8, W +9; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Round 1

GM Rutseg:

Aaaahhh, Kikinnin's got this lovely Ring of Feather Falling, and he was hoping to drop into the Pit on the opposite side of those heading down, on the opposite side of the creature(s), once it/they showed themselves. He was purposefully allowing JJ to be the 'bait'.

Status:

AC = 27, Total Defense
HP = 74/74
Weapon Equipped = +1 Dwarven Greataxe
Condition(s) = Prayer

Reflex Save DC 17: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Lay on Hands, Greater Mercy: 4d6 ⇒ (2, 6, 3, 4) = 15 Swift Action

Kikinnin allows Marigold to bring her Goddess's Blessing to bear, before girding himself against the several attacks incoming. Total Defense, Standard Action.

"ನಾನು ದೇಹದಲ್ಲಿ ಕೆಲಸ ಮಾಡುತ್ತೇನೆ, ಆಗ."

Celestial:

"I'll work on the body, then."

He a 5' step off the platform, and letting his Ring do the rest.


Male HP59/59; LoH 2/3 (3d6); AC 21(24 SoF), Touch 14, Flat-footed 18, Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 6; Perception +11 (+13 vs humans, +15 vs evil outsiders; extra +2 in urban; +4 in abyss)

JJ sighs as the seven headed creature.

"Right, as if one dragon head wasn't enough."

He quickly heads down the stairs, his swords appearing in his hands as he goes once within jumping range he uses his own magical boots to leap up close to the body.

"Let's hope it heart doesn't regrow as well."

acrobatics, jump in close to avoid AOO: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19 <- not sure if he can get down far enough in round one to do this, but if he can...


status:
Mage Armour: AC 18 (t 12) (ff 16) | F+6, R+4, W+5 | CMB +5 CMD 17 | Init +2, Per +10, SM +1 | speed 30 ft | Acid Ray (1d6+3) 6/day | HP 35/39 | Hero Points 0/3
Human Male:
Racial Traits: +2 to One Ability (CHA), Bonus Feat, Skilled
Archer 1 / Crossblooded Sorcerer 6 (Black Draconic and Earth Elemental bloodlines)

knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16 . . rats!

Round 1
"I hope this thing doesn't like fire!"
« ცეცხლის სფერო » . . "flaming sphere", in draconic

Juraan places the flaming sphere on top of the hydra.
Hoping that a cold breathing creature is more susceptible to fire than acid damage.

flaming sphere (fire): 3d6 ⇒ (3, 6, 3) = 12
(dc 16, reflex negates)

5,551 to 5,600 of 5,807 << first < prev | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [AP] The Shackled City by GM Rutseg - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.