Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

The Seer's Journey - DM Downrightamazed

Game Master downrightamazed

A young refugee girl, blessed by the gods with foresight, is accompanied by six warriors to one of the most dangerous places in the world, where a great hero will die.


3,651 to 3,700 of 4,262 << first < prev | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | next > last >>

Male Human Fighter (Lore Warden) 8 / Wizard (Scroll Scholar) 1

(Local 1) 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21
(Local 2) 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

Astar listens, glaring at the terrible little creature.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Denara. I'm certain your group has had their hands full with something this insidious. The troubles of poverty, and the things it leads people to do, often have outcomes that are dire for society as a whole. This thing certainly is devious enough. I'd love to study it in greater detail, but, well, I seem to have prior engagements."

His brief tones trail off as he takes particular interest in the creature's magical capabilities. He places the glass down, straightens his back and begins casting detect magic on it.

Not sure what to roll, for casting the spell, or if I need to make accompanying arcana or spellcraft rolls.


Male Human Fighter 8, Ranger 3

Well, that had all been a thoroughly unpleasant sight. Not a disease he would have wished on anybody, even somebody like Lenny. Taking in Hurin's words, he nodded seriously, saying, "I'm not inclined to delay at all. Up until now, we've been trying to accomplish a few things while others are preparing things for our departure. We have to leave these matters in the hands of others and trust they'll deal with them, otherwise we'll simply be tugged every which way and never actually leave."

Having let Hurin know where he stood, and keeping one ear on Lenny's continuing interrogation, he turned his attention towards Denara, "Given the amount of effort involved in curing a single person afflicted with the disease, and how easily it's spread, I don't think simply sending the healers in is going to even keep up with the rate of infection. If there are people out there deliberately spreading it, then the difficulty of combatting it goes up considerably." He wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the case. Anything referred to as a curse from Urgathoa would probably see her clergy aiding in its spread on general principle.

"Containment has to be the first priority, along with blocking any vectors for the disease to spread," he went on, "When it comes to curing the afflicted, you'll want to be very sure indeed that they're not going to be reinfected, otherwise that's a lot of wasted work. The simplest way to accomplish that would be to completely separate them from the infected population, which will present difficulties of its own."

"Much as I hate to say it, we're not in a position to provide any practical help. We've got commitments of our own, unfortunately. We've got a little time yet though, if you think we can provide any help on the planning front, or if you'd like to compare notes with the healers in the group."


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

Hurin bobs his head in agreement clearly measuring Kelne with an approving air about him. The dwarf warrior then crosses over to Sir Justal and places his hands on either side of the paladins forearms. If Hurin had been close to the human's own height the gesture would probably have been made by placing his hands on the man's shoulders.

"I am sorry, but it does not appear that we are going to find a way to reach your companion from what we have have learned here. If there is anything more you can think of that we could accomplish quickley then let's try to act on it. However, the danger is too great here and growing still.

We must move on for now, but I give you my oath that I will help you find that horse when the opportunity presents itself and does not endanger our greater purpose . . . whatever, it takes. Besides it sounds as though the one who may for sure know may look us up on her own. So tell me, can you think of anything else that we could act on in a timely manner?

Hurin will grab a new waxed oil cloth canvas before we leave town for good


@Sir Justahl: Denara gazes at you levelly. "The council, " she says, and ice hangs on every syllable, "…wishes the Scrap City would go away once and for all, and that we once again had the troops and resources to enforce the quarantine on that place and keep people out of it. They also wish it could be razed and hallowed. Those are the council's wishes."


@Hurin: Denara now turns her steely look over to you. "There is no power in the Scrap City. There is only death."


@Kelne: "We are taking all possible precautions, sir, I assure you." responds Denara. "And yes, any notes your healers here are willing to share would be most useful. This is the most thoroughly healed we've seen any victim yet. We will definitely want to observe his…progress."


Astar:
The centipede appears to be some kind of miniscule spellcaster, so your detection spells don't pick up any kind of aura, per se, anymore than they would if you cast them on Gray, or Sir Justahl. As you watch, it attempts to sunder the glass vial with magical fire and electricity, but soon tires itself it out and curls into a tight ball and then becomes still.

An utterly fascinating specimen, to be sure, and rather alarmingly powerful and smart.


@Nasmarra; Lenny replies a bit more coherently this time, but is still rather slack in the face from the effect of your mind-magic. "Yyyes. I fear her. I also hate her. She is The Huntress. Everyone fears and loves her, and I hate her."


There is a bit of a commotion from the hall, and one of the guards from the garrison in the quad comes in. "Sir Justahl!" he calls out. "Sir Justahl, an-Oh! It's all of you, good. Van-Galazzan sends word; they are ready for you now. You leave immediately. Come with me." With that, the man simply turns on his heel and heads back the way he came. "We are departing, initially, by boat, so I hope none of you gets seasick..."


After everyone has retrieved any last belongings or finished any last-minute business, you are all trooped down to the docks under heavy guard. Van-Haera herself accompanies you, though Van-Galazzan is flying low out over the sound. When you get to the docks, a handsome and well-worn man-o-war awaits you, with a veteran crew on board. The ship is called The Steadfast and she's captained by a loudmouthed female half-orc called Rynougha.

At the docks, the brass dragon, head librarian, gives tiny little Cassandra a hug, and wishes you all well; "I cannot believe we are here, doing this again. Great heroes, you all are, doing the work of the Gods. How much you have benefitted this city, and all the Land, shall never be forgotten. This I promise you." She hands a small bundle to Sir Justahl. "This will help. It's the best I could do on such short notice. Van-Galazzan will fly with you to your exit. Good luck to you all!"

As you get organized and the crew pushes off, Rynougha fills you in; "This is gonna be a quick journey, less than a half-day. We'll be heading north towards Warbane, there's a special group of rocks called "The Teeth of Kalaroth" where we'll be anchoring. It's there that the Prefect is gonna do whatever it is he's gonna do. I'm putting you all in the dinghy and rowing out of sight; Prefect's orders." She looks at you all appraisingly. "I hope one of you can man a small craft, 'cos some of you 're gonna have trouble swimming in those plates you're wearing." She grins like a shark and goes back to ordering her crew around.

It is currently 6:00 in the evening; grey clouds are scudding by overhead, occasional gaps making sundogs in the water. A short sprinkle of rain accompanies each grey cloud, causing some to seek shelter, others to enjoy the elements for a bit and relax their minds.

Sir Justahl opens the satchel Van-Haera gave him, and in it are some very useful things, indeed, along with two curious things;
1 potion of Cure Moderate Wounds for each of you.
1 potion of Cure Serious Wounds for each of you.
1 potion of Restoration for each of you.
1 potion of Invisibility for each of you.
1 potion of Greater Invisibility for each of you.
1 potion of Silence for each of you.
A Gorumite Prayer scroll, with certain passages underlined.
A small spikey compass that hurts to hold, and does not point to true north.


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

Hurin will quickly ask the librarian about the different factions and especially about the lich. before the librarian gives her fare-thee-well speech.

After the Dragon says her goodbye, Hurin mutters out loud, "Shall never be forgotten?" Then in a more jovial mood he fires back in a friendly boastful manner , "Heh, this is one dwarf who intends on being here at the end of things! We'll all be back and soon enough if I've got anything to say about it! Thank you Lady Librarian and I hope you will remember our talk down in your office. Also do us a favor and keep this place around for a bit so it's here when we get back, I want to see one of those dry sunny days you spoke about!"

Then to no one in particular the dwarf exclaims, "Ah smell that ocean air will ya!" moving over to Cassandra the dwarf offers his elbow to the little girl to walk her up the ramp, "Permission to come aboard your fine vessel here captain. Mi'lady may I have the honor of assisting you to board? Or are you going to make me beard tickle you and walk the plank?! Yarrrrr!" The dwarf has a twinkle in his eye and smile on his face for the ships smallest passenger as he gives a squinty eye and his best comical pirate scowl while he threatens her with his beard tip.

He then shoots a quick glance around and offers his hand for Cassandra to hold if she would like. Hurin moves his stoutframe and large hands with great care about the little girl and it's obvious her presence turns him into a big softy.

Hurin responds to the captain's question in a friendly tone, "I can pilot anything up to the size of a decent sized fishing boat, but I might need a few days to learn my way around this here ship."


Aasimar Paladin (Shining Knight) L11 | AC29 (t11,ff28) | CMD28 | hp 133/133 | Save F17 R11 W13 | Percep +2 (Nouhves Percep +6)

Sir Justahl, nods and frowns at Denara's words. He wondered how help for the Scrap City might be effected, as well as warn the city of the infection threatening the city as well as finding Nouhves before they had to leave later today...
Then the word came. They were out of time.
He sagged against the wall, his face turned gray for a minute.

Then he straightened up as Hurin spoke to him.
"It's too late to look for him now. But we understand, he and I, the nature of our duty. I will carry on, and hope I can find him when I am free to do so. But..."
He runs his hands through his hair roughly.
"Without him I am half of what I was! I can't hit as hard, I'm slower than everyone else now... It might be I am a liability to our Company now! Did you hear how the Skyknights found us? Their seers saw me as a blazing star! What if Cassandra's enemies could do the same?"
He looked helplessly at Hurin; then pushed off the wall to stand up straight. He sighed.
"And yet the Inheritor was clear and unambiguous. I am to escort and guard Cassandra."

After Justahl boards the ship, looking distracted as he accepts the bundle, he opens the bundle and inspects the items as they are revealed.
"Does anyone know what this... compass? Does?"


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

Belsarious takes his share of the potions, hiding them in various locations upon his person....

He reaches for the compass
"Mind if I examine this bauble?"

If no one objects, Bel carries the compass with him as he flies up to the crows nest of the ship......

DM

Spoiler:

Detect magic
spellcraft


Belsarious you are not on the boat.


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

Frustrated that they were not able to get any concrete information from Lenny about the whereabouts of Kelsha, and amazed that several hours had already passed by in the time they were in the prison I'm amazed too, Jorzan releases his breath in whoosh, accepting the situation as it is. He also looks over to Justahl, feeling emphatic to the Paladine's loss of his warhorse companion but not having any words or solution to offer him. With a last disgusted look at Lenny, he leaves the prison without another word.

During the walk to the docks his is silent and introspective, mentally preparing himself for the task ahead. As Van-Heara gives her farewell, Jorzan places a hand on her huge claw, allowing his touch and his gaze to once again express his deep gratitude and affection to her.

When Hurin offers his arm to Cassandra Jorzan gives the fighter a flinty look, arching an eyebrow at the dwarf's antics, but saying nothing. He then nods his greeting to the captain and boards after Cassandra and her bearded escort. After Justahl opens the librarian's farewell gift, Jorzan smiles faintly in appreciation and takes his share of the gifts. He takes a quick look at the scroll, trying to determine if it's anything he can read or is aware of, before handing it off to the next interested party. He also looks curiously at the compass, but does not touch it. Figuring one of the scholars would very likely have better chance of divining it's purpose and function better then he himself could do, he merely waits for their assessment, sparing himself the mental effort.


Earlier
Her eyes bore into Lenny as if seeking to simply tear the secrets from his mind. "Does she have any power beyond a normal vampire? Who does she hunt?"

Present
To the casual onlooker, Nasmarra might seem a vengeful sea spirit haunting the vessel. None saw her board the ship, not even its crew. It is as if she simply appeared on the boat, with neither preamble nor warning. One of the sailors rounded a corner of the hold and saw her, then began superstitiously started checking himself for something he called a "Black Spot." Nasmarra made no attempt to correct the notion for him, simply staring at him with her blank, inscrutable eyes until he turned away slowly and tried his best not to run. With the crew sufficiently spooked, Nasmarra makes her way up to meet up with the others. She exits the hold with her smooth, graceful stride, as unearthly as she ever is. Silently, she stands at the bow of the ship gazing out over the water. There's something about the waves that make her even more melancholy than usual, as if contemplating the fact that she will never truly get to learn the whole of the world no matter how many lifetimes she spends on its face.


@Hurin: Cassandra giggles at your jests and does a little-girl version of a curtsey. She actually accepts your offered hand and tugs you towards the port side of the ship. Suddenly a large white owl flies down and lands gently on her head. The bird is so huge and ancient it is nearly as tall as the girl herself, yet she is utterly nonplussed by its presence on her small head. The owl swivels its head to regard you. "Whooo." it inquires.

Meanwhile Cassandra props her arms on the boat's railing and looks out over the ocean. "I like being on the water. Do you like being on the water, Mr. Hurin? I like how there are always these sounds, and everything is so big, and you can see everything all around you for sooooo far away."


@Jorzan:
Out of the corner of your eye you see that one of the sailors; a big, strong, half-orc with sun-kissed skin a glorious deep green, is looking at you thoughtfully. She twists her mouth dubiously, then shakes her head and goes back to what she was doing, the thick cords of her bare biceps looking impressive as she hauls in lines.


DC19 Perception, open to anyone:
The captain is looking out over the ocean through her spyglass. She pulls it down, writes something down in a chapbook she keeps in a pocket, then lifts it back up to her eye. She speaks to her first mate, then hands him the spyglass and disappears from view through a hatch that leads belowdecks. It looks like she said "Watch them. I don't like the look of them."


Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Nasmarra stares at the owl, lost in whatever solitary thoughts that she is prone to. She looks at it with an odd stare, almost as if taken aback by it. It is the first time any of her new traveling companions have seen a look on her face other than inscrutable alien curiosity. She strides over to the owl, intently staring at it with great focus. Deep in the recesses of her mind, she reaches out to the owl with the mental voice she uses to speak to those in thrall to her. "Can you hear me, ancient one?"


@Nasmarra: Earlier: Lenny nods, though it's unclear at what. "She hunts...everyone. Whomever the Baron told her to hunt. I don't know whom she'll hunt now, but Kelne is on the list. He's high on the list. He might be the highest. And she's strong, and fast, and the Baron gave her magic things...weapons...armor...rings...bracers...boots...a cape...so many things...I don't even know them all...but even the other vampires were afraid of her...said they couldn't see her...they were scared...they hated her, too, even the Old Ones from Mamban. Even House del Luna."

Present: The owl rotates its head even further. "Who." it replies to your inquiry.

Nasmarra only:
Deep in your mind, in dark corners even you have barely plumbed in all your reincarnations, you hear an old voice, cold as the wind between stars, speaking directly in your thoughts. ::Shhhhhhh...::" it says ::I told you we would meet again. Do you remember the song I taught you?::" The voice sings in an achingly familiar and gloriously melodious tone:
::Tower and key / rescue me / glorious ghost who breathes...Book and stone / burning bones / all kings must now atone...water's deep / finally sleep / glorious ghost who sees::

The voice has just sung the prophecy.

Your prophecy.


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

Sense Motive on what the half-orc may have had on her mind: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (14) + 16 = 30
Perception: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (9) + 18 = 27

Jorzan observes the look from the big female crew member and feels something stir in him he hadn't felt for some time. He had always like them big women, for some reason he had never bothered to figure out, and he had always been thrilled by the exotic. This one seemed to combine both in one package. And that skin! Allowing a small private smile to lift the corner of his mouth, he makes his way towards the first mate, but makes sure to brush ever-so-softly against the half-orc's back as he passes by, his head turned slightly to the side so he can observe her reaction out of the corner of his eye and so she can see the smile at the corner of his mouth, should she look over at him.

Coming up beside the first mate and staring off in the same direction, without any preamble he asks directly "What is it?"


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

Hurin happily allows himself to be pulled around the deck, by the tiny seer. He finds himself very disarmed and quickly attached to Cassandra. Of course he knew her gift must have given her insight into his heart and soul, "How else would she have known about the tickles?" But wouldn't her gift also allow her to know him better? Maybe the seer had actually known him or known of him her entire memorable life? "Who knows exactly what this little girl's gifts are?" Quite frankly Hurin didn't care. Hurin was having, at times, visions or hearing tones in Cassandra's voice that reminded him of his own deceased children while listening and watching the delightful little human. "Yeah, you big Olaf, you've gone and did it now. Look at yourself, all acting like a darned fool. Hope you're happy with yourself, you're gonna get all attached and in less than a few years she's gonna be all grown up. Heh, too late she's already got me. Little rascal! Little girls do wrap you around their little fingers and worm their way into your heart." Hurin was in a blissful place enjoying the feeling of honest acceptance and warmth one can only receive from a child. His heart was definately smitten and he felt himself oddly at peace. "Maybe when all this is----------"

WHOOO!The great owl screeched landing atop the girls head breaking the dwarfs inner thoughts and revelry.

"Ho there, Well this must be your, er . . . Ugh . . . Companion? Er, yes. Your companion of whom the librarian spoke." Reguarding the owl appraisingly, Hurin inclined his head and nodded to the owl. Feeling rather foolish, but in the interest of being polite and remembering what was revealed to him in the Librarian's office, Hurin introduces himself to the owl.[/b]

Then the dwarf sees the Ghost of the Tower floating nearby stilled but facing the owl with some emotional expression on her face. Yeah she was an odd duck, but one better to have with them rather than against them.

Meanwhile Cassandra props her arms on the boat's railing and looks out over the ocean. "I like being on the water. Do you like being on the water, Mr. Hurin? I like how there are always these sounds, and everything is so big, and you can see everything all around you for sooooo far away."

The dwarf looked back to the little girl then out over the ocean , "I enjoy it very much being out here with you. And I do like being out on the water in general I guess, though the longer I stay out on it, the more I get to thinking about things. Did anyone tell you that I was actually a fisherman, before I joined up with you? The man I worked for loved the big ocean and talked about it all the time and here I am. Heh, sure smells good. And I do like the sounds too. Maybe someday I could teach you how to sail a boat and take you out fishing! Well, of course thats if you'd be interested of course. You know, just sayin. . . It definately a nice day today so far isn't it?"

Perception 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (9) + 14 = 23

Hurin is drawn to the converstation taking place with the captain and the mate.


Aasimar Paladin (Shining Knight) L11 | AC29 (t11,ff28) | CMD28 | hp 133/133 | Save F17 R11 W13 | Percep +2 (Nouhves Percep +6)

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Sir Justahl gloomily stares out at the horizon.


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

Spoiler:

Where am I?


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

Belsarious:

Just a suggestion, but perhaps you should be back with Lin, Tora'an and the rest of the Mariansu gang still in Stormfare and following Dantoor's excellent lead on another one of the, you know, Abominations? Just sayin' ; )


Male Human Cleric 9 (86/86HPs AC26 [domain spells used 0 and Normall spell used (one 1st&5thlvl). 0/10 channels used.)

earlier Gray heads to the pharasmum church. He silently walks in and hands the acting preist a folded piece of paper. The paper contains how to "cure" the horrible disease he spent hours working on. he leaves the church without a word.

Now
Gray takes the potions as they are passed out. He smiles softly as he walks pass her. Finding a "corner" of the boat to sit at. He sits and once more writes in his book. He occasionally stops to look at the view. Ignoring almost everyone on the boat he will still glance towards the girl he's suppose to protect.

Gray writes and waits for the boat ride to end.


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

Earlier with sir Justal

Sir Justal straightened up as Hurin spoke to him.
"It's too late to look for him now. But we understand, he and I, the nature of our duty. I will carry on, and hope I can find him when I am free to do so. But..."
He runs his hands through his hair roughly.
"Without him I am half of what I was! I can't hit as hard, I'm slower than everyone else now... It might be I am a liability to our Company now! Did you hear how the Skyknights found us? Their seers saw me as a blazing star! What if Cassandra's enemies could do the same?"

He looked helplessly at Hurin; then pushed off the wall to stand up straight. He sighed.
"And yet the Inheritor was clear and unambiguous. I am to escort and guard Cassandra."

Hurin regarded the paladin for a moment then tapped a finger over the knights heart. "Its not your horse that makes you important to this company, it's what's there under this armor. If you've lost your heart and resolve, what are the rest of us to think? None of us have the special boons and powers of your god. No goddess came recruiting me or any horse that I heard of. I'll take half of you over a dozen men at arms any day of the week. You weren't given superpowers to sit here feeling super sorry for yourself either. We are all counting on you, but no one as much as that little girl out there. If you lose your hand in the middle of a fight are you gonna just stop right then and get killed? Or are you gonna fight it out and learn how to fight one handed? Dispare, depression, hopelessness are all roads to nowhere and trust me they are roads I have travelled myself."

"Your horse isn't dead, your goddess hasn't turned her back on you, don't lose your faith and that inner fire. Cassandra needs you. From what the dragon said it won't much matter if we set the country side around us on fire at night or hide out in a cave, plenty of folks are going to be finding us regardless of if you are with us or not. When they do come, all I've got is my heart and my axe. Will you, with all your gifts, talents, and blessings let me stand on my own?"

"From what I understand, your horse is stranded with some of the most powerful spell casters and blade slingers one could ask for. It seems to me chances are pretty good they will get him out. And if they don't you have my word we will right after we are done with this business we will go after him ourselves."


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13
Hurin Sundershield SonOfHelgrud wrote:


"From what I understand, your horse is stranded with some of the most powerful spell casters and blade slingers one could ask for. It seems to me chances are pretty good they will get him out. And if they don't you have my word we will right after we are done with this business we will go after him ourselves."

Hey look I'd say Hirun was talking about me....I mean if I had a paladin's bonded mount with me that is.... :)


Aasimar Paladin (Shining Knight) L11 | AC29 (t11,ff28) | CMD28 | hp 133/133 | Save F17 R11 W13 | Percep +2 (Nouhves Percep +6)

Sir Justahl frowns as he listens to Hurin.
"Hand of the Inheritor!" He swears softly under his breath.
"I DO sound whiny!" He turns to face Hurin squarely.
"Now I'm sad AND embarrassed! That's not helping at all!" He replied mock-seriously.
But he smiled while he did so.
"I must say, you display more than your fair share of wisdom. Are you a priest of some kind as well?"


@Jorzan: as you brush past the half-orc, she grunts softly in surprise. "Hey landlubber, watch where you're going. Don't make me take you belowdecks and discipline you." A couple sailors in earshot hoot at this and one wolf-whistles. The tone of her voice and the salacious grin on her face makes it pretty clear just what kind of "discipline" she's got in mind.

Sailors!

When you speak with the first mate, he chuckles and gives you a nonplussed look. "Yer a nosy one, ain'tcha? Huh. Here. Take a look for yourself." He doesn't say any of this unkindly, it's more just a mildly-spoken observation.

Peering through the spyglass you see a few things that do not sit well with you; in the near horizon, the water is very dark in patches. Very dark. It reminds you of the silhouettes of the aboleths that attacked your boat in Crystal Lake. Further out, though, is something even more curious; a sort of...well, what is it? If you didn't know any better you'd swear there was land out there, but you know that's wrong.


Male Human Fighter 8, Ranger 3

Earlier, @Jorzan:

Spoiler:

With the interrogation over, Kelne decided to make time for that private word with Jorzan.

"How are you holding up, Jorzan?" he asked simply, having gotten him alone momentarily. With all that had happened over the past day, he had cause to be decidedly not okay, though whether he'd admit to it was another matter.

Now:
Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (6) + 14 = 20

It was a relief to be on the move again. Of course, they'd only been standing still in Stomfare for a comparatively short amount of time, but given the propensity of people to come after Cassandra, he really didn't want to feel responsible for bringing anything else down on the city.

He'd offered to take a look at Justahl's compass, perceiving a certain similarity in function to his own wayfinder. Clearly the device wasn't pointing north, which left the question of where it was pointing. There wasn't any way of telling directly, but he did take a bearing off of it and trace the bearing on a map. Given a bit of distance, they should be able to take more bearings and see where the lines intersected.

"I can't tell you what it's pointing to," he told Justahl as he handed the compass back, "But we ought to be able to roughly tell where it's pointing to on the map, given a couple more bearings. Something to try as soon as we reach the other end of this door." Which wasn't necessarily going to be a straightforward matter, given something had their captain on edge.


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

Are the dark shapes straight ahead, or off to the side, or? Also, what if any rolls would be appropriate to try and make some more sense of what he sees? If there are any, feel free to make them to save time.

Jorzan turns his head slightly more at the suggestive 'threat', allowing the green skinned thriller to see his most roguish grin. But he does not stop as he makes his way towards the first mate. Business before pleasure, unfortunately he thinks wryly.

"Thrice damned Aboleths..." Jorzan mumbles to himself as he looks through the spyglass. He looks a while longer, trying to determine the ships current route, and whether they could successfully make their way around the obstructions. Not having much experience on the water though he hands the glass back and defers to the first mate's much greater experience. "I prefer to know what I'll be up against and surprise is always better when it's on my side" he grins darkly in response to the earlier jibe. Nodding towards the dark shapes and the 'wall' he asks calmly "So what do you make of all that?"


Hurin only:
As your ears perk up to take in the Captain's conversation, Cassandra shakes her head, her mouth a hyphen of determination on her face. "They don't get us this time. But...they don't give up, either." She offers no further clarification, but continues to look far out toward the horizon.


Jorzan wrote:
Are the dark shapes straight ahead, or off to the side, or?

Yes.

Jorzan wrote:
Also, what if any rolls would be appropriate to try and make some more sense of what he sees?

Profession(Sailor)

Jorzan wrote:
Not having much experience on the water though he hands the glass back and defers to the first mate's much greater experience. "I prefer to know what I'll be up against and surprise is always better when it's on my side" he grins darkly in response to the earlier jibe. Nodding towards the dark shapes and the 'wall' he asks calmly "So what do you make of all that?"

The Mate shakes his head. "Can't rightly say. There's no land out there, but that's too big to be a fleet. If it IS a fleet, well..." He gives you a significant look. "Let's just say I'd rather not be thinkin' on that, if ye catch my drift. Either way, it's not your problem. Yet. Those shapes under water might be your problem if we're not fast enough, but the...whatever it is on the horizon..." Again, he shakes his head. "...too far out for ye to worry about. You'll be long gone. Heh. At least ye'd better be." He grins wolfishly.


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

Earlier with Kelne:

Jorzan looks up at the big warrior for several beats after the Northerner asks his question. For though the words and tone were simple, Jorzan well knew they had much more to them than it seemed.

After a little bit he looks away, considering his response. While it was no secret he and Kelne had often had their differences, they had always been united in their purpose to protect Cassandra. They just didn't always see eye to eye on what exactly that meant or how it might best be done. Jorzan also knew that, despite their somewhat different methodologies and philosophies, Kelne was brave and deadly ally as well as an intelligent and good man.

Finally coming to a decision, the young rogue takes a deep breath and turns to face the warrior once again. "I am...ok, Kelne. No, I am Good. I have a lot on my plate, but I am accepting of that. And I know why you're asking. I know I almost killed that old man. I'll be honest with you, a part of me still wishes that I had. I can feel that desire within me. But it's deep within me at present, and barely more than a tickle. Hmmm, actually, it seems a bit less right now, that stirring of darkness, than when Zan is around. But that's likely just coincidence, there was a lot going on earlier, after all."

Unconsciously adjusting himself, clearly not fully comfortable with this conversation, Jorzan takes another deep breath and continues. "I was able to have a long and very...helpful, conversation with Van-Haera. I felt able to confide many things to her and she...helped remind me that I am the one who controls my destiny, no matter what may have happened in my past or who may seek to use me for other purposes."

He then looks Kelne squarely in the eye "Obviously you know that much of what I'm referring to is about Bal-Zat. I don't know how much of the pieces you've heard you've been able to piece together but the short version is that it seems that twisted bastard used many of us children to try and ensure his own immortality. I believe his plan was to make many 'copies' of himself, bodies that he could later transfer his essence into, thereby having a near endless succession of young bodies to inhabit, tossing them aside like garbage when he had used them up. I believe the Paladine spoiled much of these plans when they slew him and rescued us, but apparently they did not do as good a job of killing him as we had all thought. He's still around somehow and still after me, or all of us former 'children' of his, I suppose."

Finally breaking eye contact, Jorzan unconsciously puts his had to his pocket, only to find it empty, whereupon he realizes his actions and nods once "That medallion we found near Camor? Apparently it was some form of soul collector, to be used in a ritual to bring Bal-Zat back into bodily form. Both Van-Haera and I agreed it would be much safer under her protection, locked in the Great Tower."

Shrugging his shoulders Jorzan looks impatient to go and wraps up his long speech "Bottom line Kelne, I know who or what's after me, and I believe I know why. But I'm ok with that, for I know who I am and I know what my own purpose is. I am Cassandra Protector and friend, no, more so her brother, and I am, along with you all, getting her safely to, and back from, The Wall. And no undead Mage, or horde of Dragonflights nor any other foe will stop me from doing that. I know I have a darkness inside of me, but I also know it is up to me to determine how or when that darkness rises. If I've been given power by our enemies, I shall use that power against them, force it down their throats and make them wish they'd never laid eyes on me. Does that answer your question?"

Not waiting for an answer, Jorzan begins to walk away. After a few steps though he turns back "I..I suppose if you feel the need to share any of this with the others, that...that it's likely for the best. But I would greatly prefer if you not speak of any of what I have told you to the Dwarf. I am having a hard enough time as it is reconciling what he did to me and allowing him into our group without his giving me any more dark or suspicious looks. Alright?" and this time he does wait for a response before moving on.


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

Jorzan returns the smile, but with somewhat less enthusiasm. Sailors!

Thanking the first mate, he then spends several minutes making his rounds of the ship, making sure that everyone in their party is aware of what he's seen and the potential threats both unknowns may represent. When he comes upon Hurin and Cassandra he makes a quick decision and gives the news in front of her. The girl had seen enough danger by know that she deserved not to be coddled. Besides, it was very likely she knew more about it than any of them. He does speak directly to the Dwarf though, his words clipped and terse, saying only as much as he needs to before moving on. However he gives Cassandra a squeeze on the shoulder and a smile first though before he leaves them.

Whenever he happens to pass the half-orc he gives her a significant look and grin, but he does not approach or speak to her again as yet.

Finally ending up near Justahl once more he asks "So any ideas yet what this thing is?" indicating the strange compass.


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

@Jorzan

"Thanks beardling, Cassandra says they don't get us this time, but...they don't give up, either. Just because they don't get us doesn't mean there won't be a fight. Perhaps you can pass that along too depending on what the others might think. I am betting you have the best balance and eyesight out of the lot of us. Do you think climbing up to the crows nest would give us any better information on what exactly that thing out there is?"


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

Jorzan's response to Hurin is just as curt as the rest of his recent speech with the Dwarf. "I'll take a look. And the name's Jorzan, not 'beardling'. Don't make me remind you again."

He leaves without waiting for further response. He does though include Cassandra's prophecy in his report to the others.

DRA, I have no idea how far away those dark shapes are. If it's not something obvious or easily discernible, Jorzan would've asked the First Mate.


Jorzan wrote:
DRA, I have no idea how far away those dark shapes are. If it's not something obvious or easily discernible, Jorzan would've asked the First Mate.

That's just it, no one can tell what they are, yet. They're hundreds of feet away, but there are a LOT of them so they're not like in a nice line or anything; they're all over the place. It could honestly be a pod of whales or something similarly benign. It could also be a group of aboleths. They're just vague, oblong silhouettes at this point. Unless they get closer or breach the surface, no one will be able to determine what they are.


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

"Well as you like it, I didn't want to sound too informal, Jorzan it is then and you may call me Hurin as well."


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

Sorry if I was unclear. At the moment Jorzan is more concerned with how far away they are, as in, how long until we reach them (or vice versa) depending on our relative speeds, as opposed to what they are. He wants/needs to know if they are an immediate threat, something to deal with in a few minutes, or if there's lots of time still until they're a concern (like the 'wall')

As he walks away, Jorzan offers no visible or audible response to Hurin's final comment.

Deciding that the strange compass was not of any immediate concern, Jorzan makes his way back to the first mate and asks to borrow the spyglass again, indicating his intention to take a look from the crows's nest. Whether given the looking glass or not, the rogue easily makes his way up, hiding the fact that his magical shoes make it even easier than he makes it look. Once there, he spends a good while trying to determine exactly what the shapes are, if they seem to be stationary, or if they seem to be moving in any specific direction, specifically towards the ship.

Perception: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (7) + 18 = 25
Knowledge(nature) Non CS: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


@Jorzan: From the crows nest you can tell the underwater things are keeping pace with the ship and appear to be accompanying it, i.e., they are not moving on an intercept path, but have it more-or-less surrounded in a perimeter starting over a hundred yards out and at least 50' or more down. You count 63 of them, but you know you can't be sure that's all of them.

As you stand there, it becomes apparent that The Steadfast is actually faster than the whatsits-under-the-water, and will soon outpace the front of the perimeter. You see that magic ballista are already armed and manned, and a battle mage is up at the bow. The captain, it appears, is prepared for blockade running if necessary.


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

Continued from earlier

Sir Justahl of NeoWald wrote:

Sir Justahl frowns as he listens to Hurin.

"Hand of the Inheritor!" He swears softly under his breath.
"I DO sound whiny!" He turns to face Hurin squarely.
"Now I'm sad AND embarrassed! That's not helping at all!" He replied mock-seriously.
But he smiled while he did so.
"I must say, you display more than your fair share of wisdom. Are you a priest of some kind as well?"

"No . . . Unfortunately, no I am not, though if I were . . . Ah, well it doesn't matter anyway. What's important is that you and Grey and Astar here don't forget how special your gifts are your talents are extraordinary. Me, well I have a military background and I have training as an engineer. I was a family man who had thought his adventuring days were behind him. Now I find myself here with you and involved in a major endeavor. The ancestors and the gods are watching. I intend to give them a good show! Hurin gives the paladin a chummy open handed swat to his back cathonk!


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

Hurin turns back to Cassandra and watches all the activity on deck as mages and Bastilla are brought to bare. "Not that I doubt your gift, but I guess we should probably move away from the railing. You want to go raid the galley with me to see what they have to eat down there? Or would you rather check out the forward castle? Snowy can come too.


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

Nodding his satisfaction at the Captain's preparedness. Spending another minute of so, he calls out his findings loudly enough for the whole ship (hopefully) to hear. He then leaps off the crow's nest in a showy display, timing his gentle descent to land himself right by the First Mate. He hands back the spyglass with a grin "I'm not too worried about whatever may be following us."

He then makes his way back to Justahl, gathering Cassandra along the way and says to the Paladin "I'm thinking perhaps it might be best for our little Princess here to remain below decks for awhile." giving another tender smile to the small seer.

EDIT: Ah, Hurin's ninja'd me (as I'd had to leave my computer mid-post for a while.) If Cassandra's already down below, we can ignore the last part of this post. If she's not, then it remains


Nasmarra stares at the owl, linking their minds telepathically. "Ancient one, which of my faces did I wear when we last spoke? Do you know the meaning of this song?" The words seem to resonate through her mind, achingly familiar to her. She had seen a number of references in her journals to a Prophecy, beginning with her Second and slowly slipping until the Prophecy wasn't mentioned at all. As soon as the owl spoke the words, it seemed as if Nasmarra had heard and spoken the words a hundred or thousand times before. An ancient memory, so faint as though a wisp of smoke slipping through her fingers, rises to her mind: it is her in another body, speaking the words for the first time amid a chaotic scene of raw magical power. She tries to hold onto the details, but it is gone already.


Aasimar Paladin (Shining Knight) L11 | AC29 (t11,ff28) | CMD28 | hp 133/133 | Save F17 R11 W13 | Percep +2 (Nouhves Percep +6)

Justahl nods to Jorzan.
"Yes, I agree. I will wait below with her. If we are attacked, call for me at need."


Male Human Fighter 8, Ranger 3

Earlier, with Jorzan:

Spoiler:

"The others already know the pertinent details," Kelne said, "Namely that Bal-Zat has designs on you and your brothers in order to return to life, and that he showed his hand last night with the tower. The rest is yours to share or not as you choose, though I do think you should tell them there's a risk Bal-Zat will try to take you over as he did with Camor."

"As to Hurin, while I can appreciate that you don't like him, I can't say I find fault with his actions. Think of the experience as a useful reminder that ramming your power down your enemies' throats isn't always the best way of achieving your goals, especially if you're doing so in front of strangers who might not take your side." He couldn't help but recall the incident with the tengu as he said those words. "Subtlety and restraint will often serve you better."

"There is one final matter," he went on seriously, "With you and Callistria as my witnesses, I hereby swear vengeance upon Bal-Zat. On behalf of the victims I know about, those I don't, and all whose lives his deeds have blighted. I shall tear down his works, thwart his minions wherever I may find them, and see his withered soul delivered to the Gods for judgement." Ordinarily, such an oath would be a private matter for him, but he felt Jorzan was entitled to witness this one.


Male Human Fighter (Lore Warden) 8 / Wizard (Scroll Scholar) 1

Earlier: Astar was quick about scribbling down whatever information he could gather on the awful little creature, with directions on how to properly dispose of it. Burning it ought to prevent it from releasing any contaminants, provided the ashes are disposed of safely. It wouldn't hurt to be overcautious, until such time that more information was verified. Either way, he had present business to attend to.

On the Ship: Keeping to himself, sitting against the railings topside, Astar took it all in. Weather, wind, the swelling of the sea, the scampering of the crew, the essential tasks (and non-essential non-tasks!) they performed were all scrutinized. He'd move out of the way from time to time, relocating to a new vantage point. Unlike Gray, he was ignoring nothing- he was fully in the moment, savoring it like wine. This was, to him, very relaxing.

Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (7) + 14 = 21

Even slight oddities such as the captain being displeased by something were, like the currents of the ocean, just material to glide upon in his own voyage of understanding. He strode in a direct path to the point where she was standing, his course only being disrupted as he purposefully gave wide berth to the 'owl' that Hurin, Nasmarra, and Cassandra were in proximity to. He'd see to that one later, once he'd worked out a proper methodology.

He peers into the distance, casual and calm. This was proper 'work' for him, the relaxing sort where problems sprang up in such ways that defied routine, defied his method of 'prediction'. Though he's without a spyglass, he's in no hurry. He doesn't need to see the problem just yet. He's content just to think about it.

3,651 to 3,700 of 4,262 << first < prev | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Seer's Journey - DM Downrightamazed All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.