Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

The Seer's Journey - DM Downrightamazed

Game Master downrightamazed

A young refugee girl, blessed by the gods with foresight, is accompanied by six warriors to one of the most dangerous places in the world, where a great hero will die.


3,551 to 3,600 of 4,262 << first < prev | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | next > last >>

Male Human Fighter 8, Ranger 3

Kelne nodded thoughtfully, "I'd asked Van Haera to look into getting back into the treasury, as and when it can be done," he said, "But if we can get any information out of the alchemist to help her in that, so much the better. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high though, I doubt he'll be feeling cooperative." Jorzan certainly seemed recovered from last night, if he was up to practical jokes, but it struck him as a brittle sort of cheerfulness, prone to fracture under pressure. He would definitely bear keeping an eye on, and Kelne once again resolved to have a private word before they set out.

He'd been quite encouraged at how things had worked out for Pechora. It didn't sound as if they'd have an easy time of it, but they definitely had a plan and a good attitude to be going forward with. There hadn't really been anything for him to contribute, so he'd simply wished the guardsman the best of luck going forwards and left it at that.


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

The young rogue nods in satisfaction as Kelne and apparently a few others seem to be on board with his idea and replies "I'm not too worried about his being co-operative, that's what magic is for after all." He then grins rakishly "What? You didn't think I didn't already have a plan, did you?? Well, let's get this done, shall we?" As the group walks towards where Lenny is being kept, he outlines his plan.

Jorzan' Plan:
Of course Nasmarra's or Astar's help would be ideal for this kind of thing, but if neither of our new magic users are coming along, Jorzan plans to make another quick stop in the market for some items to help wring the info we need out of Lenny. Kelne already has some Zone of Truth scrolls, but we can get another if he'd rather not use them. Also any of these scrolls: Charm Person, Detect Thoughts or Seek Thoughts, Suggestion or Dominate Person, might all be helpful. Oh, and a couple Greater Teleport and/or Plane Shift spells of course.

Or, alternatively, for 3,000gp we could by and try the 8th level spell Discern Location, which says:

A discern location spell is among the most powerful means of locating creatures or objects. Nothing short of a mind blank spell or the direct intervention of a deity keeps you from learning the exact location of a single individual or object. Discern location circumvents normal means of protection from scrying or location. The spell reveals the name of the creature or object's location (place, name, business name, building name, or the like), community, county (or similar political division), country, continent, and the plane of existence where the target lies.

To find a creature with the spell, you must have seen the creature or have some item that once belonged to it. To find an object, you must have touched it at least once.

Seems to me like that should do the trick, even without Lenny's help. Unless you have a ruling saying otherwise on that DRA?


Huge Female Silver Dragon 9 HP 79/79 DR 5/magic AC-28, T-12, Flat-26, F+9, R+8, W+8 Init +2; Senses: Darkvision (120 feet), Low-Light Vision, Scent; Per +13

Lin gives a snort of laughter at the wild, dust covered witch. "I had forgotten about you Bel! So deep in the tomes you were..." She nods to Tora'an and in one smooth stride is standing next to Belsarious with the saddlebag aimed towards him. "There is a map tube in the side pocket there and an artifact of interest That Dantoor gave us in the halls beneath the city. Perhaps you can decipher more of it."

The scroll from Dantoor actually contains a small metal artifact. It has arcane characters in it that center around divinatory magic, and gives off a very weak aura of the same kind of magical energy, as well. In his note, Dantoor writes; Lin, Tora'an, I got this charm from an old Gnoll who came here from the south, from the Bay of Katapesh. He lives above the bar called "Charna" and claims it will lead you directly to one of the "Items" you seek. He warns you, though, that it is protected by one of the Three Great Red Dragons; Felltouch. Good Luck, and I look forward to our next meeting. -- Dantoor

"Perhaps we could hunt down this Gnoll? Although I won't be able to do much to help..." She indicates her massive size with a smooth roll of her powerful shoulders and flexes her great wingspan.


Aasimar Paladin (Shining Knight) L11 | AC29 (t11,ff28) | CMD28 | hp 133/133 | Save F17 R11 W13 | Percep +2 (Nouhves Percep +6)

Sir Justahl stands with his companions in the quad, hardly paying attention as he tried to think of what to do next.
The Church.
They have access to divinatory magic, and he knows the prelate here...

Gradually it penetrated that they were talking about the crazy alchemist and of getting back to the prison/treasury.
"That's right, he might be able to tell us something... Properly motivated."

Sense Motive DC16:
There is something wrong, almost feverish about the way he said that.

Hearing Jorzan's plan, he quickly agrees to it.


Huge Female Silver Dragon 9 HP 79/79 DR 5/magic AC-28, T-12, Flat-26, F+9, R+8, W+8 Init +2; Senses: Darkvision (120 feet), Low-Light Vision, Scent; Per +13

Sense Motive 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

Lin snorts loudly at the mere mention of the alchemist but keeps her opinions to herself. She does however call out to Jorzan as he walks away. How does the boy fair? The one who was... Changed? I hope he will survive this ordeal, if he is destined not to the Alchemist has much to answer for. The last words were said in a growl and her chest rumbled with each word, shaking the earth slightly and causing those near her to sway.


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

Lin would have seen Kevin earlier when he came out with Cassandra, wouldn't she have?

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (8) + 16 = 24

As Justahl makes his strange comment before agreeing to come along, Jorzan at first says nothing but once the group is on the way, falls back to walk beside the Paladine and says quietly to him "Hey, are you ok Justahl? If there's something going on with you, let us know, let us help you."

As they are moving off an the huge Sliver calls out to him her turns and and gives her a somewhat quizzical look but smiles and answers "Kevin's fine! And Van-Heara assures us he will make a perfect recovery, thank the gods. And don't worry, I'll be sure to pass on your greetings to the Alchemist, I'm sure he'll be delighted to know of your intense interest him." before waving farewell and jogging a bit to catch up with the others.


Huge Female Silver Dragon 9 HP 79/79 DR 5/magic AC-28, T-12, Flat-26, F+9, R+8, W+8 Init +2; Senses: Darkvision (120 feet), Low-Light Vision, Scent; Per +13

I didn't know if she was there or not, also she was more focused on Brook and Sarish. Plus what was going on with her I say she was distracted. ;D


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

That sure didn't sound right coming from a paladin

"Dang I would say we should get you a girlfriend or something, but since you've probably swore off women let's go get your horse. . . Wait that didn't sound right either, eh, we'll just go get get it back, you paladins without your magical horses are like dwarves without their beards and axes."

"Hey speaking of axes I heard you had one of a set that matches the one here I got from the beardling, I would like to see it if you aren't currently usin it."


Aasimar Paladin (Shining Knight) L11 | AC29 (t11,ff28) | CMD28 | hp 133/133 | Save F17 R11 W13 | Percep +2 (Nouhves Percep +6)
Jorzan wrote:


"Hey, are you ok Justahl?"

"I am well thank you." Justahl replied tightly.

Hurin wrote:


"Dang I would say we should get you a girlfriend or something, but since you've probably swore off women let's go get your horse."

Justahl stopped and looked at Hurin for a long moment.

"His name is Nouhves, Sir Dwarf. And I will rescue him from whatever it is that holds him now."
He reaches back and takes out the fancy axe he was given back in the prison/treasury. He holds it out to Hurin.
As Hurin grasps it, Justahl leans in.
"Whatever it takes." He says with emphasis, before letting go.


BATTLEAXE--Thunder Stormaxe: +1 Adamantine Thundering Menacing Battleaxe; on a confirmed crit, sound of thunder, +2d8 extra sonic damage and DC14 fort save or permantent deafening; allies flanking with wielder gain +4 flank bonus instead of +2. Dwarven writing.


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

@Grey

"Well following human traditions Sundershield would be like my surname, it is much like a nickname of sorts, but more of an earned given name you get after you become a beardling. I am a Torkrest, which is my clan and my Surname as I am named of that clan. But as you well know there are bloodlines among the named that we adhere to since our recorded histories go back so far. We may earn other additional given names, for instance I am Campaign Veteran discharged service honorably rendered of the Ironfist Regiment. if I were to earn some great honor or to do some good or awful deed, Sundershield may become a lesser part of my full name, but will remain a part of it as to avoid confusion or misrepresentation of my identity you see."


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

Hurin studies the twin dwarven axes, reading the runes and testing their balance, before his face splits in an earnest and satisfied grin.

"Heh, well if it takes these babies to do whatever it takes then lets get on with it. I think we could breech the gates of hell with this pair of blades. So what does . . . New vees? Look like, am I pronouncing that right? And that reminds me Kelne, I will be needing a mount if I forgot to mention that before. I don't suppose they have any trained dire boars around here so a horse will have to do."


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

@Everyone in the quad.

Hurin's armor has been cleaned and polished, it's deep bas relief figures on its surface have been freshly darkened. There are new figures present in the armor, over Hurin's left breast is a dwarven woman standing near a hearth looking up at two cherubs, one in swaddling clothes and a second a young girl who is reaching for the younger child's hand while gesturing outward with the other hand and looking upwards towards the wearer of the armor's face.


Male Human Fighter (Lore Warden) 8 / Wizard (Scroll Scholar) 1

Astar had been listening in as members of the 'party' gathered. Were he not trying to make a good first impression with new business associates, he would have been eagerly paging through a book as he sat in his folding chair. Or engaging in the honorable tradition of 'pranks', with subtle works of prestidigitation. Jorzan's trick with the illusion was too forceful, and Astar knew well that there could be no satiating payoff for merely annoying someone. Regardless, he snapped his chair down to its collapsed position, and placed it back into his haversack. He stepped forwards.

"If there are people wrongfully imprisoned, then it's pretty much required that someone do something. I see no reason a quick little excursion would be out of order. It would certainly allow some of the roughness of getting acclimated to a new group to be smoothed out. Such assorted groups are always a pleasure to work within."

He shook his head slightly.

"Since Hurin here has took it upon himself to start introductions, I'll continue. I am Astar Dijkstra, pleasure to meet all of you, and I'd like to take a moment to clarify precisely what I can offer."

There was a pause as he straightened his posture, and raised a pinched thumb and forefinger, as if to indicate a tiny invisible thread.

"First of all, I'm not a caster."

He let the 'thread' go with a flourish, placing his hand coolly in his coat pocket.

"Second of all, I'm not a swordsman. The spells I do know and my skill with a blade are just tools I've learned to use, like everything else I employ. And yet I've ended the careers of wizards and fencers.

What I am, simply enough, is a man of myriad scholarly pursuits. If there are mysteries that need simplified, rituals de-mystified, insects identified, fortifications rectified, rumors verified, ruins that need classified or tongues that need untied, I am at your service. That much is said on my business cards."

He allowed himself to revel in his terrible sales pitch.

"But seriously, I am honored to be aboard, despite the dire circumstances."


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

@Astar

"Well call yourself what you will, but you can cast spells and wag a scimitar. You are definately the most dangerous sage I have ever seen and you don't dress like a bookworm. You were saying you aren't going to carry the offered items until you've "earned them", but I would suggest that you might want to take em to use anyway, this isn't a contract or commission negotiation, but rather a quest for survival. We will need everyone involved to use their skills and abilities to their utmost and be armed to the teeth. Knowledge is power guard it well, I am glad to have a spell flinging, blade wielding, book reading and entertaining scholar with us on this expedition."


Male Human Fighter (Lore Warden) 8 / Wizard (Scroll Scholar) 1

"Trust me. If you need someone to 'fling spells' you'd be much better suited asking for the assistance of any number of students in the classes here. The skillset I bring to the table is vast enough to compensate for the fact that I won't be hurling magic missiles into the fray. Consider me as one who can identify minerals, ore, and stone by touch, sight, or weight alone- can tell you where to best place support beams, and how best to bypass an aquifer- and yet has never actually spent more than a few hours with a pick in hand. I've more styles of dance memorized than spells."

He shrugs, and climbs into the saddle atpo his horse.

"Will this person be joining us in rescuing those prisoners?"

He indicates Gray.

"Or is he still weary from his ghost party?"


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

"Well we are all sitting here making boasts and mounting up, how do we get to this inter dimensional pocket universe location? And the Clerics name is Gray, I already talked to him and he is coming with us."


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

Horse? Well, suppose there's no reason why Astar couldn't ride at this point, but we're currently on the way to the prison, or wherever Lenny is kept, and most of the rest of us are walking, as our mounts are still back in Dwarf town.

Jorzan glanced over as the man who'd been sitting on the folding chair began to speak and introduce himself. Jorzan had noticed the man, and he was fairly certain he had seen him last night, but Jorzan had been coming out of his temporary insanity at the time, and been distracted besides that, so he hadn't been entirely sure what he had seen.

Astar Dijkstra...
Knowledge(local-Stormfare): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (1) + 14 = 15

...hmm, yes, Jorzan had most certainly heard of the fairly famous scholar, and in fact had seen him a few times around the library but the two had never met or been introduced so Jorzan mainly knew of him through rumor and hearsay.

From Dijkstra's speech, the man certainly liked to paint a picture of his being arrogant and overconfident, yet if the stories and rumors about him were even half true, he likely had good reason to be so. Jorzan could detect the tongue-in-cheek tone of the man's words, yet he could also detect the natural, and perhaps unconsciously condescending feeling behind them. Jorzan had long been used to being one of the most intelligent people in any gathering of minds he found himself in, yet the rumors of Dijkstra's intellect placed the man on a level significantly beyond his own. He'd certainly be an interesting person to converse with and get to know better, yet at the moment he was engaged in conversation with the Dwarf, Hurin, who was someone Jorzan was not prepared to speak with at the moment. So, leaving the two to their talk, the Shadowdancer moves over to walk near Gray.

When he had inquired as to Justahl's well-being and received the Paladine's curt reply, Jorzan had narrowed his eyes at the Asimar, not believing the answer for a second. Yet he also just as clearly perceived that whatever was bothering the man, he was not prepared to speak of it at present. So the young rogue had simply nodded his head once and said "Alright. But if you decide you do need to talk, or want any of my help, just ask." and then walked away.

Reaching Gray's side, Jorzan speaks in a voice intended for the cleric's ears alone. It is clear he is still not entirely comfortable speaking with the Pharasmian priest and as well, it is obvious that the subject matter he speaks about is of great and intense importance to him. First though, he hands Gray a pair of wands "Here, you might as well hold on to these again, as you'll get the best use out of them. What I really wanted to speak with you about though Gray was that little scene in Pechora, when you appeared out of nowhere with the Collector, and that strange man with the scars and eyes all over him. What was that all about?? Why were they after the medallion? And how the hell did you get there and disappear like you did??"

And just waiting on DRA for the Lenny scene, and any comments/additions/improvements (in the OOC) from anyone on Jorzan's plan of interrogation. Otherwise I think these side conversations can be carried on separately, yes?


Male Human Cleric 9 (86/86HPs AC26 [domain spells used 0 and Normall spell used (one 1st&5thlvl). 0/10 channels used.)

Grey nods silently to Hurin. "I go where I am needed. Though I would rather stay with the girl."

Silently listening to Jorzan he nods as the shadow dancer speaks to him. listening closely.

Speaking softly as normal He replies with a slight confused look on his face.

"As you know I was watching the tapestries making sure no one would move or destroy them while people you were inside. The kuthite and the man you speak as the collector came looking for you. I knew I would not be able to fight both of them alone if they were to be enemies. However I was not sure if they were friend or foe, Remember I have been part of the group for only a couple hours at the time."

Grey's pale eyes looks into Jorzan's as he whispers in a serious tone.

"Assuming they were an enemy, You should be thankful for I, personally delivered your foes to you."

Breaking into a grin he chuckles. Grey returns to his normal flat toned self.

"As for the trinket. I do not think they were after it. More so after you. I just happened to be quicker then them to return you something You dropped. And as for me coming and going, I used the tapestry of course. I noticed it started to burn, so I exited right away. I did not want to be far from the little one from to long."

A small creeps on the normally sad mans face.
"Anything else I can help you with?"

what exactly did you give grey to hold onto?


Nasmarra listens impassively as you all talk amongst yourselves about paying a visit to Crazy Lenny. "For my part, I will remain with Van-Haera and the small Seer. I have no need or taste for interrogation." With not a word more, the mysterious and coldly beautiful Samsaran walks off across the quad back the way she came.

Quick FYI, getting any spell above 6th level will take three hours, minimum -- you can't just visit the magic Kwik-E-Mart on the corner.

The rest of you (whoever's going) troop over to the sanitarium where Lenny is being kept. The jailer has no problem at all letting you in and giving you access to him. After all, you lot were the ones that brought him in in the first place.

You are all led to a large, open room and asked to wait. The room is circular and white, with a domed roof, and has only one door leading in and out. Windows circumnavigating the dome let in what little natural light there is. An Izmirian paladin and a Warbanian mercenary are guarding the door. They nod respectfully as you walk by.

After a short wait, the jailer brings Lenny out to you, and he is a broken husk of a man. He is clad in a simple, one-piece coverall, and is wearing a large leather belt around his waist that is clearly doing some kind of magic. His arms and ankles are manacled and chained to each other. As he sits Crazy Lenny down into a chair near all of you, the jailer explains that the belt is a Belt of Dispellation, and keeps the alchemist from practicing magic at all. He warns those of you with magic powers not to get to close as the belt can sometimes have a deleterious effect on magic users in immediate proximity to the belt. Nothing permanent, but definitely unpleasant.

Crazy Lenny is not as tall as you'd thought, only about 5'9", and very skinny. Painfully so. He has a little potbelly and thinning hair and big, watery brown eyes with dark circles under them. His nose is running and one of his eyes is very red and bloodshot and irritated. his glasses are chipped and smudged. His skin is an unhealthy yellowish color and he seems to have a couple sores on the back of his neck that look rather painful.

When he sees all of you, his eyes get huge, but then he just gives a resigned nod and lets himself be sat down in a plain wooden chair in front of you all. "Yeah, I figured. Let's just get this over with." he says, and his high, screechy voice is just as annoying as always.

Heal check. Roll ONLY ONCE and read whichever spoiler your roll clears.

DC20 Heal:
His skin color indicates severe malnutrition and his running nose and red eye are likely indicators of some kind of bad allergic reaction to something. He is quite thin and probably rather weak without his magic.

DC25 Heal:
His skin color indicates severe malnutrition and his running nose and red eye are likely indicators of some kind of bad allergic reaction to something. He is quite thin and probably rather weak without his magic.

Additionally, those sores on his neck are reminiscent of certain flesh-devouring illnesses that originate in the deep south, in the jungles where plants and insects inject careless travelers with horrid venoms. These look quite nasty, and seem almost like they're pulsing or something. You would guess that Lenny is not going to be alive much longer; he's riddled with disease.


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

Hummmm this guy looks awful, maybe we won't have to force it out of him. The paladin could offer to heal him for the information, if he even knows what hey want to ask him.


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

Convo with Gray:

"The Collector is no man, Gray, it is a construct, a most horrible and evil one, and was created by, and is a tool of, the arch-mage Bal-zat. The Collectors, for there are many of them, or at least there used to be, have been looking for me for some time now it appears. But I'm not entirely sure I understand what you are saying. You thought that the two them might be enemies of mine, so you brought them too me.?? And how did you do so? You say you used the tapestry, but how did you even know which one would bring you to Pechora?"

In Jorzan's defense, I realize one of the tapestries may have been identified as going to Pechora, but his fallible Player forgets. Oh, and he just handed you the two wands of Protection from Evil and Hide from Undead that Gray had given him before the gang teleported to Ormir. I believe you already have them on your sheet, was just RPing it out.

Heal check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Jorzan can see that something is seriously wrong with the man, but he has absoloutely no clue what it all might be or result from. He also could not care less. Being careful not too approach the alchemist too closely, the rogue first turns to the jailer "Does this belt he wears prevent magic from being used on him as well?"

If not...

Breathing a quick, quiet sigh of relief, he next turns to Astar and, holding out a few of the scrolls they'd picked up on the way to the prison, says "You say you're not a caster, but I wager you know quite a bit more about magic than any of the rest of us here. Would you care to cast these for us? Although though you might be better as casting this particular spell Justahl. And let's try and stick with the plan, yes?" and he hands one scroll to the Paladine as well. If either one or both of them don't wish to cast anything, Jorzan will attempt to use the scrolls himself.

Also part of the plan Jorzan laid out was to cast the spells in a specific order, in escalating power, if necessary. I'd also meant to ask if anyone knows of a spell that lowers the Will Save? If there is, Jorzan would include that spell in the plan as well, making it the first spell cast. Order of casting should be, first cast Zone of Truth, then Charm person, then Detect Thoughts. If using those three doesn't seem to work, next Seek Thoughts and Suggestion. If that doesn't work then Domination. Purchased 2 each of Zone, Charm and Detect. 1 each of Seek, Suggestion and Dominate.

EDIT: Hurin's idea is also a good one, but Jorzan wouldn't think of it


Male Human Cleric 9 (86/86HPs AC26 [domain spells used 0 and Normall spell used (one 1st&5thlvl). 0/10 channels used.)

Grey follows the group to the jail, while still speaking to Jorzan.

Jorzan:
"Well, I didn't know where it went exactly. However, I did watch you move through it. And Like I said, If they were foes I would not be able to fight them alone. Safety in numbers my young friend. Aside from that I figured heroes like yourself would relish to fight against your enemies?"

heal check
1d20 + 16 ⇒ (7) + 16 = 23

Grey stands behind everyone in silence. Just waiting to see what the group will do next.


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

Gray:

I'm pretty sure we four teleported to Ormir, didn't we? I don't think we used the tapestry for that at all. But anyhoo...

Frowning a little in confusion looks at the cleric a bit strangely and replies "But we didn't use the tapestry to get to Ormir...and, while I can understand some of your reasoning, the rest still escapes me. Yes, there is safety in numbers, but those two weren't posing any threat to you at the time, so you would not have had to fight them yourself. They were looking for me, and you led them straight to me. I would leap at any chance to destroy a Collector, or kill any ally or willing servant of Bal-zat, but you didn't know anything about them, or what threat they might pose to me."

Shaking his head and taking a deep breath, he tries to force some more friendliness in his voice as he says "Well, there's nothing for it now I suppose, and, in the end, it turned out alright. Except for my not getting to kill them. In the future though, do me a favour, if you run into anyone looking for me and are not sure if they be friend or foe, before leading them straight to me, perhaps ask me about them first?" and he gives Gray a somewhat forced smile and a sincere camaraderly pat on the shoulder.

"I still very much want to know though, what happened to you and the other two after you went back through the tapestry?"


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

"Well before this has to get ugly at all, I figured I will just ask you straight man to man. How do we get into that prison place with all the gems and what not? Your cooperation might even help ease your current state of welbeing."


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

Jorzan glances at the Dwarf, his still remaining anger towards him making him annoyed at the interruption, but his honesty making him admit it was a good idea and his curiosity making him pay close attention to the alchemists reaction.

Sense Motive on answer: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (11) + 16 = 27


Aasimar Paladin (Shining Knight) L11 | AC29 (t11,ff28) | CMD28 | hp 133/133 | Save F17 R11 W13 | Percep +2 (Nouhves Percep +6)

Heal: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Justahl stared at the one man who would know, if anyone did, where Nouhves had been sent when the card had hit them. He tightened up on his discipline, reminding himself that Jorzan's plan had been better than anything he could have come up with himself. Follow the plan.


Male Human Fighter (Lore Warden) 8 / Wizard (Scroll Scholar) 1

"I'd prefer not to rely on such spells to determine what a so called 'crazy' person calls truth. It would be cruel to violate his mind further, unless absolutely required."

He steps towards Lenny, keeping outside the range of the dispellation field, and appraises him casually.

"My name is Astar, Lenny. My associates and I seek to enter a pocket dimension in order to free those imprisoned inside. You know what we need to know. Tell us."


Male Human Fighter 8, Ranger 3

For now, Kelne observed, remaining a quiet, annoyed-looking presence in the background. Too many questioners would only detract from proceedings, given that almost everybody had decided to come along. Of course, Lenny was free to interpret his silent, brooding presence as he chose. He had his doubts whether this was going to work. They lost nothing by the attempt, but the key assumptions were that the alchemist knew something useful, and that he was subject to persuasion, magically-based or otherwise.


The jailer responds to Jorzan's question about Lenny's bonds; "The Belt of Dispellation functions similarly to an anti-magic circle; it stops any magic from going in OR out. The goal is to not only prevent prisoners from employing their arcane or divine casting abilities, but to also prevent any other magic users from healing or rescuing them with their own abilities. If you feel it's necessary to cast spells on this particular prisoner for some reason or another, I can make that happen, but we'll have to get the appropriate permissions and move to a more secure facility, which shouldn't take more than a couple hours, if you're interested. For now, though, you'll have to be satisfied with traditional questioning "techniques". My lips are sealed."

DC16 Sense Motive:
The jailer hates Crazy Lenny and wants to see him come to harm, but he is duty-bound by law and rules and cannot do anything to hurt an inmate/prisoner. He seems to relish the idea of one of you heroes going to town on the scrawny alchemist and making him suffer.


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

Hurin waits to see what the man says.


Lenny licks his lips nervously and takes careful note of Kelne, Justahl, and Jorzan, though strangely he seems most terrified of quiet, calm Gray Moribund; the alchemist's eyes get big when he takes in the armored Pharasman's tools of office and religious symbols. He turns his attention quickly to Astar and Hurin.

"Yeah, yeah. Yeah that one's easy." He says in his nasal and screechy voice. "There are tapestries back in the palace -- if you didn't take them, there might be some here in Stormfare that can get you there so you can use them, depending on what happened after I went out...?" He phrases it as a question, clearly wanting to know what happened to the Baron and Ormiria. "Anyway, in those tapestries are portals leading to various locations. The big ugly one on the wall in the, uh, in the promenade led there. If you get it, you go through the door, and bang you're there. I don't know the interplanar coordinates for getting their by plane shift or other ways, only the Baron knew that, though Keshla swore she knew how to get to them without the tapestries, too, but she's a lying b+%#+ so to hell with her."

DC14 Sense Motive:
This is all false bravado; Lenny really does hate Keshla, that's obvious, but he's also completely terrified of her. He's trying to set her up as a "more badder bad guy" than he himself, in the hopes of redirecting some of the group's ire away from himself.

The Alchemist squints up his one reddened and irritated eye, it must itch something awful. "So yeah; that one's easy. The tapestries'll take you right there. And be careful! If you see stoves, they're really constructs. If there are chests, at least one will be a monster in disguise as a chest. Don't let them sneak up on you." He looks at Hurin and Astar. "What else do you need to know? I'll tell you anything!"


Aasimar Paladin (Shining Knight) L11 | AC29 (t11,ff28) | CMD28 | hp 133/133 | Save F17 R11 W13 | Percep +2 (Nouhves Percep +6)

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

Ok, what made you serve this Baron, and why are you so ill looking, what could you offer us if we were to save and cure your mangy hide?


Those are two separate Sense Motive checks up there, by the way. Roll separately for each.


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

Hurin walks behind the man out of his view.

If the man tries to turn around Hurin will walk to remain just out of view then appear to be digging for something in his bag. Psychological warfare, fear of the unknown and unseen yet appearances that maybe nothing is happening, but maybe it is. Hope that there might be some hope. Plus the distraction of what exactly is the dwarf digging for to help derail deceptive thinking, for telling fact is easier than making up fiction. Hurin is also capitalizing that this man has no idea whom he is and has never seen him before.

Dwarf is keeping a conversational tone and is speaking in a matter of fact tone. "Keeping in mind of course that I already know the answers to some of the questions that will be asked of you to ascertain the validity of what you have to say and help determine what it is that may come next."


If you're trying to use PsyOps, then I'll need an Intimidate check, please.


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

This isn't so much what I am doing to intimidate just to keep him guessing. I actually don't want him to feel threatened by me, but rather more like someone who has the power to maybe do something for him like a crisis negotiator does.

As requested
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17 sense motive on lenny
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24 intimidation or diplomacy your call?
Shuzzzzam! Holy cripes


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

Sense Motive on jailer: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (14) + 14 = 28

Easily able to sense the jailers true feelings about Lenny, and Lenny's true feelings about Keshla, he nevertheless remains quiet for the moment, although he can't help but glance at Kelne when Lenny brings up the female vampire's name.

Although he would still much prefer to use magic on Lenny, to insure that the sniveling man was indeed telling them all he knew and that it was all true, for the moment he is content to allow Hurin, who seemed to have taken it upon himself to conduct the interrogation, to continue as he is. So far, it didn't seem as if Lenny was lying to them about anything, or withholding any information, but magic would be the only way to be sure of that.

There were a few things he really wanted to ask the alchemist though, and if Hurin didn't cover them, or if he went too far afield in his questions, Jorzan wouldn't hesitate to step in and take over the questioning.


Male Human Fighter (Lore Warden) 8 / Wizard (Scroll Scholar) 1

Astar nodded to the guard.

(Sense motive, Guard:) 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

"Would you be so kind as to get us all some water? I find that parched throats are less likely to quaver."

He returned his gaze onto Lenny, saving his disgust at a so called 'civil servant' to churn in his gut for later.

(Sense motive, Lenny:) 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22

"Lenny. The weight of your sins are not relative to those around you- a stone sinks in oil as it does in water. You have very few options here, if you truly wish to redeem yourself- for whatever reason, be it true desire for penance or simple self-preservation. Luckily, your intentions here are not important, merely your actions. Tell us everything, precisely, we'll need to know to activate those tapestries, where they are located, and whatever else you can about this Baron, and this Keshla.

Distribute this information to us. Many hands make light work, and we'll see about lifting this stone of sin off of your heart. I do not make this metaphor lightly. There is a dwarf behind you who knows just what to do with sin, and stones."

(Aiding Hurin's intimidation) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11


Aasimar Paladin (Shining Knight) L11 | AC29 (t11,ff28) | CMD28 | hp 133/133 | Save F17 R11 W13 | Percep +2 (Nouhves Percep +6)

Sense Motive #2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

Realizing that the two newcomers quite likely did not know that all the tapestries had been destroyed, Jorzan, allowing the shadows to build around him, steps forward and growls out "Forget the tapestries, they're destroyed. If you want to live, we need to know another way to get into that prison dimension. As well, tell us who those four prisoners were and why Ormir had them imprisoned in those gems. And while you're at it, you can let us know about any of Ormir's other treasure stashes. Speak true and you may have a chance to live. You know kind of long, lingering and painful death you face if we decide to leave you to the Jailer's tender mercies. Now speak!"

He was also growing a little frustrated with Astar and the Dwarf's tender treatment of the man. It wasn't entirely their fault, for they had never seen him as he truly was. Even more, they had never seen what the monster had done to Kevin. No, Joran had not a drop of sympathy for the mad alchemist, for he deserved whatever fate he received, and worse.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15 (either another aid to Hurin's intimidate, or a roll on his own if Hurin's doing Diplomacy instead)


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

Oh great here goes the beardling again, if he were a blunt tool he would be a titan's hammer among tack hammers. For all his grace did he ever use finesse? It was clear he fancied himself a great intellect and no doubt the kid was sharp, but untempered and inexperienced. Heh, this kid would probably get all dark and shadowy and scream at a man dangling from a hangmans noose that he would kill him. Hopefully he doesn't screw this up. This man is most likely a deadman walking anyway. It would be interesting to know if this man had been dominated by the vampire. Sometimes even the best fall victim to their charms, even paladins. I have seen Kevin with the dragon and knew that part of the story. Heh, I wonder how much of Jorzan's bluster the already dying man will buy into. Killing or maiming one of the Dragon Prefects prisoners I front of one of the city Warbanians and two paladins would be poor form to say the least.

I can't believe he gave up the tapestries being destroyed, he must not realize an interrogation is a two way itel gathering process, it is like chess.

You can always escalate an interrogation, if needed, but it is hard to descalate one once you have gone down that path. Heh, maybe he is just stroppy that my direct approach is obviously working rather than resorting to swords and sorcery. Oh well, experiences is how one will learn, but Sir Justal will be pissed if this gets screwed up and we lose the chance to get his horse back.


Crazy Lenny jerks back in his chair as Jorzan lunges forward. The alchemist is obviously terrifed; he pisses himself before the rogue's snarling visage. "I t-t-told you! I don't KNOW where the plane is! It was a demi-plane the Baron made, he didn't trust me with its name or details, only the Baron and Keshla got to see the prisoners, she was his right hand! I'm t-t-telling the truth! I don't know who he had prisoner, not in the demi-plane, or the tower, or the pit, OR the cells below the palace! And there's t-t-treasure everywhere in that place! The chairs, the tapestries, the vaults in the holds in the roots of the mountain...hell looking at you, I'm surprised you weren't tripping over treasure while you were there! But those are just the ones I know about. The only person he trusted with any info was Keshla, he didn't tell me s@%@! I swear this is the truth I sweeaaaarrrrr!" The skinny alchemist starts blubbering at the end of this, clearly frightened. The piss-stain in his pants has spread and is starting to smell.

DC15 Sense Motive:
Lenny is actually, honestly, terrified out of his wits, and honestly thinks he's going to be allowed to live if he cooperates.

DC15 P(Soldier) OR DC23 Perception:
It's obvious that Lenny is telling the truth when he says he wasn't trusted with any of the info about prisoners or treasure; someone like the baron would never trust a weakling like Lenny with info of any value. Whether or not he's telling the truth about Keshla, however, is a different matter.

DC17 Sense Motive (separate roll):
Lenny is telling the truth about Keshla, or at least as far as he knows it's the truth.

DC18 Perception (separate roll):
One of the large (about the size of a marble) pustules on the back of Crazy Lenny's neck has started to pulse disgustingly, and a thick fluid appears to be building up inside it.

The jailer returns with a pitcher of water and some cups. He makes no effort to hide his smile at Crazy Lenny's pathetic condition, and nods approvingly at Jorzan's threatening stance towards the alchemist.


Aasimar Paladin (Shining Knight) L11 | AC29 (t11,ff28) | CMD28 | hp 133/133 | Save F17 R11 W13 | Percep +2 (Nouhves Percep +6)

Sense Motive 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Perception 1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Sense Motive 2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Perception 2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21


Aasimar Paladin (Shining Knight) L11 | AC29 (t11,ff28) | CMD28 | hp 133/133 | Save F17 R11 W13 | Percep +2 (Nouhves Percep +6)

Waiting for a break in the interrogation, Justahl notices the thing on Lenny's neck.

At a time when he's not going to step on someone elses question, he will force a smile.
"Lenny, I am Sir Justahl of NeoWald, Paladin and Knight Errant of Izmir. When you threw that card at me, I was sent into one of those gem prisons, but my mount was not there. I am curious as to where he went.
"Now I see the disease on the back of your neck, and it looks serious. But as it happens, I have been granted a certain power over Disease by the inheritor. If a person were to tell me something that would lead me to recover my mount; well, I would be VERY grateful."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (13) + 17 = 30


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

Sense Motive1: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (14) + 16 = 30
Perception: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (6) + 18 = 24
Sense Motive2: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (5) + 16 = 21
Sense Motive3: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (7) + 16 = 23

Bah! Useless he was, this pathetic excuse for a man. This entire trip to the prison was almost a complete waste of time. Jorzan could easily tell that the alchemist was telling the truth about everything, at least as far as he knew it anyway. And no surprise that the man knew nothing. Ormir had been no fool, and of course he wouldn't have trusted such a weakling with any important knowledge or information. Just look at him! Jorzan himself had been tortured and tormented for his entire childhood by one who had mastered the art over decades, perhaps much longer, and here this wretch was wetting himself because someone had yelled at him. Pathetic.

Dijkstra and the Dwarf could spend all day playing mind games with him if they wanted to, Jorzan had gotten the full truth out of the worm in seconds. Regardless what they knew, or thought they knew of interrogation, or torture techniques, Jorzan had spent most of his life living it.

Disgusted and wanting nothing more than to be away from the sniveling creature, Jorzan only has one more thing to ask. Leaning in as close as he dares, in voice calm yet as cold as death, he says "Well, I have just one last question then Lenny, where do we find Keshla? We'll be sure to give her your warm greetings when we do find her, and kill her."

Leaning back to stand again, the perceptive rogue catches sight of something on the back of Lenny's neck. Far more concerned about the health and safety of everyone but Lenny, he shouts "Everyone stand back! Gray! What is that??" as he points to the back of Lenny's neck and follows his own advice and taking several steps back as he does.


Male Human Rogue(Poisoner) 5/ Shadowdancer 6| AC23 T17 F18; HP 88/88, CMD 22, F/R/W 6/14/7, Percep +20 Drkvsn 60', Init +6

EDIT: Argh! Ninja'd by the Paladin! Now I'm not sure how best to work out the timeline of he and Jorzan speaking. But good thing we have a DM to figure that out ; )


Actually it was Red the Jester that threw the card at you. But no worries.

Crazy Lenny looks at Justahl, and his face is pathetic. He slowly shakes his head, looking deeply sad as he does. "I...I don't know." He says this as if he really wishes he did know. "Red's magic is pure chaos, your, uh, your mount could have gone to any of the prisons; the jails under the palace, the oubliette in the old mine shaft outside Pechora, or just the regular prison cells in the palace, or...or I don't know where! I don't what other cells the Baron had, you g-g-gotta believe me!"

Looking more and more panicked with every second, Lenny tentatively feels the back of his neck. When his fingers encounter one of the pustules there, he freezes and goes ash-white. He pulls his hand down slowly and his whole demeanor changes. His eyes are down cast and his whole body is limp.


Aasimar Paladin (Shining Knight) L11 | AC29 (t11,ff28) | CMD28 | hp 133/133 | Save F17 R11 W13 | Percep +2 (Nouhves Percep +6)

Sir Justahl smiles thinly.
"Thank you Lenny. I am grateful..." He stops; staring at the pustule that seems to pulsing.
"I really don't like the look of that pustule. Jailor, how quickly can you remove the spell neutralizer if it develops into an emergency? I won't be able to help with it on."


Male Dwarf Fighter 7/Barbarian 2 AC29 HP128 F+14 W+6 R+6 Perception +14

Lenny you never said what your illness was. What was your ultimate goal in your experiment with the little boy going to lead to?

3,551 to 3,600 of 4,262 << first < prev | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Seer's Journey - DM Downrightamazed All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.