Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

The Secrets of the Sunderlands

Game Master GM Netherfire


851 to 900 of 2,815 << first < prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | next > last >>

Simon coolly aims again at the approaching plant. Attack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15 for 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

The taut vines pulling the plant forward slacken, and the carnivorous mound of vegetation slumps and stops moving.


Game Master

You guys are still in initiative. The Twigjack is hostile. Rolg? Aladdin?


Male Hobgoblin (Shielded) Fighter 4

Rolg turns and fires at the Twigjack.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7 for 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


Game Master

Miss.


Male Human Sorcerer 4

Aladdin steps away from the killer plant and fires again.
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 51d8 ⇒ 4


Male Dwarf Cleric of Irori

Uhm, the plants dead and I think you might need to reload?


Game Master

Light crossbows take a move action to reload. Wherever he was aiming, Aladdin missed.

The Twigjack waves his tiny spear angrily at the death of the Assassin Vine. In a raspy, high-pitched voice, the Twigjack answers the dwarf. “Get out! My forest!”

A burst of thin slivers of wood explode from his body, covering Bolgrith, Simon, and Balion in splinters.

Saves:

DC 14 Reflex saves to halve 4d6 ⇒ (2, 1, 2, 4) = 9 piercing damage.
Balion 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Bolgrith 1d20 ⇒ 13
Simon 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

Bolgrith and Balion take 9 piercing damage. Simon take 4 piercing damage.
“Go home!”
A shrill cackle, like that of snapping sticks, chatters before the Twigjack winks out of view. Perception checks to find him! These checks will not take away from your actions because they are to oppose his stealth check.


Game Master

Jamie turns her wrath to the source of the splinters in a roaring charge, shouldering past Simon. Then she stops suddenly, and whirls around to the group. Perception 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
“Where is it?!” she shouts.


Male Human Ranger

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
The Ranger waits next to the dwarf


Male Hobgoblin (Shielded) Fighter 4

Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19


Male Dwarf Cleric of Irori

Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Netherfire:
Any bonus for looking in a 10 ft radius of where the Twigjack was? I think he used Bramble Jump.

Bolgrith spits as thin lines of blood form on his face. Dropping his boarding pike next to the sling on the ground, he does an elaborate shrug that causes his shield to swing around from his back onto his arm. Gripping it tightly the dwarf speaks in a language not meant for this world as blue flames follow his hand, tracing out ancient symbols in the air. A wave of healing flame passes out from his body, encompassing and soothing the wounds of both him and the Ranger.

Cast Channel Energy 1d6 ⇒ 4

"Well, seeing as you're uninterested in talking..." Bolgrith calls out to the hidden fey. Turning he catches Alladins eye, "This one my friend is indeed susceptible to fire. May I suggest the low brambles first?"


Game Master

Bolgrith:
I am willing to grant a + 2 circumstantial bonus for knowing where to expect the Twigjack.
Your knowledge of the Twigjack’s abilities gives you a fair guess at where he might be next. However, this is also an especially sneaky creature, and it seems to be making great use of the environment. You are unable to spot him.


Simon nocks an arrow as he squints through the underbrush. Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
“Wherever you are, we just want to pass through. We don’t want to harm your forest.”


Male Human Sorcerer 4

Aladdin pulls out an acid flask and readies it.


Game Master

Lies! You arrow’d that vine! And your biggun friends axe the trees!” Simon, Bolgrith, and Balion suffer another rain of splinters. Focusing on the source, Bolgrith and Jamie are able to momentarily spot the Twigjack, a few feet in front of Squall.
“They’re afraid to grow up!” the tiny fey shrieks, and again suddenly disappears among the brambles.

Saves:

DC 14 Reflex saves to halve 4d6 ⇒ (4, 5, 3, 2) = 14 piercing damage.
Balion 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Bolgrith 1d20 ⇒ 18
Simon 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

Simon and Bolgrith take 7 piercing damage. Balion take 14 piercing damage.
Perception checks to find Mr. Twigjack. I’ll allow spell buffs to improve your checks, now that you know its tactics. Remember you can also Aid Another, at a DC 10, but you must specify who you are aiding.

Aladdin:
Aladdin, since the Twigjack was hidden by the end of its turn, your readied attack did not go off. If you want, you can still throw it at the last place you saw it, but it might not be there anymore.


“Ack!” Simon waves his free hand at the burst of splinters. Then he looks about. “Do you see it anywhere, Balion?”
Simon’s aid to Balion's Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23 Balion add +2 to your Perception check.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Irori

Coughing out a quiet prayer Bolgrith traces out a pattern on his shield and grabs Balion with a glowing hand.

Cast CLW 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Squinting at the low tangles of vegetation the dwarf attempts to spot their tormentor.

Perception to aid Balion 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

GORRAM!


Male Human Ranger

Balion looks about in a calm manner attempting to see the little fey.
Perception 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 8 + 2 = 18


Game Master

Jamie's aid to Balion's Perception 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


Male Human Sorcerer 4

Aladdin's aid to Balion's Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13


Male Hobgoblin (Shielded) Fighter 4

Rolg's aid to Balion's Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12


Game Master

With the help of his companions, Balion is able to spot the Twigjack. It crouches in the undergrowth behind Squall!
And as luck/derps would have it, Squall has not acted this round. Balion can alert everyone else to the Twigjack's location as a free action.


Male Human Ranger

"It is right behind you Squall!" The Ranger exclaimed.


Squall whirls and attempts to grab the Twigjack. 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23 "Come here you!"


Game Master

“Leggo!” The Twigjack screams. Attack of Opportunity 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15 for 1d4 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2
It jabs its tiny spear at Squall’s arms as the mighty paws close around the fey and pull him off the ground.
Both Squall and the Twigjack gain the grappled condition.

The twigged creature squirms in the eidolon’s grip. The empty knot-holes where its eyes should be level at Squall.
“Put me down!” it shrieks. Another explosion of splinters emanates from Squall’s closed claws.

Saves:

DC 14 Reflex saves to halve 4d6 ⇒ (2, 1, 3, 3) = 9 piercing damage.
Squall 1d20 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 1 - 2 = 4, the penalty is from the grappled condition.
Aladdin 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

Aladdin and Squall take 9 piercing damage (11 total damage to Squall). You guys are up! Squall has the annoying native in his grip!


"CALM YOURSELF" Squall bellows to the tanbark he has in his paws. "Before I decide to sharpen my teeth on your bark! What manner of creature are you? If that assassin vine is your friend, we apologize for attacking it, but to our knowledge they kill our kind. Can you call it off?"


Male Dwarf Cleric of Irori

Bolgrith traces out the a symbol on his shield and whispers to himself quietly as the healing blue flames return and spread over the wounds of the company.

Cast Channel Energy 1d6 ⇒ 3

"The wee evil has exhausted himself. That's the last we'll see of that splintery blast today I think. Somebody take that stick from him, Squall watch out for those claws. Perhaps a bit of rope is in order?" Leaning his shield against his knees the dwarf uses a corner of his travel-worn robe to mop the blood from his face. "Whatever you do, don't set him down in the brambles or he'll open another doorway and we'll lose him again. We should move to a clearing, somewhere with no underbrush."

The priest scans the area trying to find something like he described.

Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Male Human Ranger

The ranger looks about the area to assist the priest in his search for an opening.
Perception 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 8 + 2 = 22


Game Master

Balion, your profile lists your Perception to be a +6. Also, I'm not seeing where the +2 bonus is from? All the previous aids from party members were added to your last Perception check to find the Twigjack.

The Twigjack shakes in rage as it struggles in the eidolon’s grip. “No one friends the eater vines! You stomp into my forest to kill with arrows and bad jokes! Die!”
The Twigjack again jabs his spear at Squall.
Attack 1d20 + 3 - 4 ⇒ (12) + 3 - 4 = 11 for 1d4 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3

Perception: No clearings can be seen nearby, as these thickly bushed flatlands stretch east, west, and south. At about an hour’s trek north, the land rises into the foothills that precede the mountains. It is difficult to tell from this distance if the underbrush continues over the hills. Darker clouds inch slowly overhead, though the sun hangs at high noon.

You guys are up.

“Hold still, man-bear-thing!” shouts Jamie, as she rushes toward her quarry in Squall’s claws, her ragged falchion held aloft.
Charge attack 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 6 + 2 = 28 Confirm: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 6 + 2 = 15 for 2d4 + 12 ⇒ (1, 1) + 12 = 14 x 2 = 28
Her heavy blade shears the Twigjack in half, and Squall clutches a bundle of inanimate sticks and thorns.

Welp, there it is. You are out of initiative order and are free to act.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Irori

Bolgrith stands there for a moment and blinks. "Well that's that then." Pressing his hands together he says a quiet prayer for the fallen fey, misguided as it was. Placing a hand on Balion's shoulder he says;
"Here lad, help me see who's been through here before us." The Priest walks over to where the assassin vine lay, and begins to sort through the remains keeping an eye out for any that look to be of a sentient race.

Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Game Master

Housekeeping:
Also, before we proceed, I would like you to be aware of your current hp/spells spent/channeled energies. I will simplify hit points this once, but you must keep track of this yourself, in case there is more than one combat in one day. Aladdin: 12/18, Balion 11/23, Bolgrith 8/17, Jamie 18/18, Rolg 25/25, Simon 24/28, Squall 6/14. Bolgrith spent all of his Channel Positive Energy charges for the day.

Among the tangle of vines and roots, the stink of rotting flesh mixes with scents of earth and sap. Bolgrith nearly misses a corpse that is deeply buried within the finger-like roots and creepers. As he tries to move the vegetation aside, the roots seem to be woven throughout the tissues and wrapped around the bones, and it takes several minutes to free the plant from the corpse. However, even careful removal results in dragging rotten entrails from the sloughing flesh. The smell of rain in the air seems to strengthen these rank smells.
The body looks to be a bit bigger than human, and dark, thick brown tufts of a fur coat the parts of greying flesh that remains. The mangled face possesses a strong under-bite with sharp teeth, and the surviving ear is long, pointed, and black with rot. The ear and muscular build seem familiar, though.
Kno: Local or Nature checks will clear up what it is.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Irori

Knowledge (Local) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
Knowledge (Nature) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24
KNOW ALL THE THINGS!


Game Master

Bolgrith:
This muscular humanoid is a bugbear, the biggest and strongest of the common goblinoids. Bugbears speak Goblin and Common. As well as being considerably stronger, healthier and more light-footed than the average human, bugbears have an affinity for moving quietly despite their bulk. Combined with their natural darkvision, these qualities add up to a creature very well suited for raids on camp sites in the dead of night.


Male Hobgoblin (Shielded) Fighter 4

Netherfire:

Rolg would know what this guy is, yes?


Game Master

Rolg:
You recognize the race from your life in Hamonreld, this is a long dead bugbear. But roll an untrained Kno: Local to know how they are regarded/ how they act in the Sunderlands.


Male Hobgoblin (Shielded) Fighter 4

KN: Local 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


Male Human Sorcerer 4

Aladdin speaks up weakly. "Oh dear cleric friend of mine, would you be able to spare some healing? I seem to have taken a log through my chest area and could use some help." Aladdin walks over to Squall and lays hands on him.

Rejuvenate Eidolon, Lesser 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 Rejuvenate Eidolon, Lesser 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Screw this rolling


Simon plucks the splinters from his face and arms using the small looking glass kept with his razor. He vigorously scrubs the running blood off his face, and tries to stop up the many small open wounds with his sleeves.
“Another one of those healing pulses of holy fire wouldn't go amiss, Bolgrith,” the young noble grins.


Male Hobgoblin (Shielded) Fighter 4

Rolg taps his shield with his knuckles.

"Suddenly this doesn't look so heavy does it. Every fighter should have one."


Male Dwarf Cleric of Irori

"Aye it would lad, though I'm afraid I don't have it in me." The dwarf sighs heavily as he leans on his shield. "Come here though, I'll see what I can do, you too Aladdin." Saying this, Bolgrith straights up and rests a hand on the ranger beside him. Closing his eyes he winces as he recites a short prayer. He does the same when the others reach him.

Cast CLW on Balion1d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Cast CLW on Aladdin 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Cast CLW on Simon 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Slumping a little in his armor the Priest wipes blood from his wounds. Reaching for a loop on his belt he pulls forth a small flask. Uncorking the potion he downs it in one go.

Potion of CLW 1d8 ⇒ 7


Male Human Ranger

Balion says nothing to the rest of the party as he pulls the entrails from the assassin vine. He can be seen pulling bits from the vine as if searching vigorously for something.

Netherfire:
The ranger looks for any sign of the priest he met in Stonebit brother. Ever weary of his impeding battle with the witch he looks for a sign to point him in the right direction.
Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
DAMN!


Game Master

Balion:
You find no clues concerning the lost brother or the foul witch.


"Thank you, Bolgrith," Simon rolls his shoulders and adjusts his pack.
"I'm good to go. Shall we continue? Not sure when this storm will hit, but I bet we can reach the cover of the ravine by nightfall."

He points north, beyond the foothills ahead and to the gap in the Frosttooth Mountains.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Irori

Knowledge (Nature) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Knowledge (Geography)?1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19

Bolgrith looks out at the lay of the land and sniffs the air before answering the young lordling.

I have a map, can I read it?


Male Hobgoblin (Shielded) Fighter 4

Rolg stows his weapons and shoulders his pack, indicating that he is ready to go.


Game Master

Bolgrith, you are not allowed to look at your map. Also, Survival will help with weather prediction.

Knowledges:
Since disembarking the river ferry, the clouds are steadily gathering, and once every so often, a brief gust of wind whistles through armor and tugs at beard and loose cloth. The fields offer no cover from the wind, although the depressions in the foothills ahead might provide some protection from the blustery weather. However, if the clouds do not stop darkening, they will surely dump rain across the field and hills as the wind presses them against the mountain wall. Dark patches of vegetation, possibly trees, can be seen growing in the ravine pointed out by Simon, marked on the map as Grik Pass. Your perusal of the Hagglesport library informed you that an "Oldkeep" stands somewhere in your path, even if it is not visible from where you stand. Although a Kno: History is where their lore is kept. The best chance of finding natural cover might be in the ravine near the rock face. Still, it is merely midday. You’ve seen weather change drastically in a few hours before…


Male Dwarf Cleric of Irori

"The weather could turn nasty before we know it. If we press on though we might be able to make Grik Pass before the skies open. Might be our best chance for some shelter to weather the storm." The dwarf grins at the play on words, pointing at the corresponding point on his map. "Wherever we bed down for the evening though, we should be sure to post a watch. I think this might be Bug Bear county, they like to ambush a night if I remember correctly."

Knowledge (History) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Survival 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19


"Good one, Bolgrith," the youth grins before taking an informative tone, "And agreed. We must be more careful from here on out. Goblin raids are known to sneak out of Grik Pass, along with the occasional wandering cluster of undead."
Simon keeps his pace, but is silent as he considers something. "Odd, that we haven't seen a Borderguard patrol yet."


Game Master

Survival: A heavy rainstorm will likely fall in the early evening, with strong winds. Sleeping in an exposed area would be possible, but you may rise the next morning soaked and more tired than the night before.

Kno History:
Records found of these Oldkeeps indicate that these lone towers predate the arrival of the humans. Most folk avoid stepping near them, as they seem to be the source of unusual happenings, from bad luck to nightmares. Archeologists deemed them to be very old but completely intact, but conclusions of the original builders vary. There are five known to stand in the Sunderlands.

Up ahead the field rises into hills thick with more underbrush. The wind sends strong, sporadic gusts, and a light sprinkling can be felt from the clouds above. Looking behind, the East Snowrun River is a grey line dividing the fields, and to the southwest, the dark walls and rooftops of Stonebit are visible. After travelling for two hours, the party is at the top of a smaller hill, and larger hills rise ahead of them. Perception checks.

Perception checks DC 10:
Between gusts, you hear an anguished cry ahead, somewhere in the hills.

Perception DC 15:
Between gusts, you hear a bark or gruff shout, followed by an anguished cry ahead, somewhere in the hills.

Perception DC 20:
Between gusts, you hear a bark or gruff shout, followed by an anguished cry ahead, somewhere in the hills. The next gust of wind stinks faintly of rotted flesh and fecal matter.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Irori

Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

*SIGH* Apparently Bolgrith stares at the ground, twiddling his thumbs.

851 to 900 of 2,815 << first < prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Secrets of the Sunderlands All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.