The Road to Minkai: Dragoncat's Jade Regent (Party 2)

Game Master Dragoncat

5 PCs are picked
To journey to a far land
To reclaim a throne.

Current Date: Starday, 27th of Desnus, 4715 AR

Current Chapter: Night of Frozen Shadows

Map of Kalsgard

Loot List!

Rimerunner's Guild, 1st Floor

Rimerunner's Guild, 2nd Floor


3,851 to 3,900 of 4,486 << first < prev | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | next > last >>

Kasha Female Human Shamaness (Nature Spirit) 5

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Kasha doesn't hear the sound over the droning tones of the cleric, but as Sunday points out that he believes the man they'd come looking for was below-decks, she produces a slender wand of smooth hickory and moves toward the hatch, bending and warping the wood to open.

Warp wood


Male Aasimar Paladin (Hospitaler)4 Cleric 1 | HP: 28/38 | AC 15 T2 FF15 | F+8 R+5 W+10 | Init +2 | Perception +10 | LOH 5 of 6/day

perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

"Right stand bac...." [b]

He began growing silent as Kasha slid forward with her wand. He grinned mostly to himself.

[b]"Thats a much sounder plan. I hope he isnt like... chained or locked away, that will make this much harder."

He began doing his best to keep quiet.


HP 49/49 | AC 15/13/12 CMD 22 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Initiative +8
Skills:
Painting +8 Perception +13 Stealth +13
Favored Enemy Human +2 | Darkvision 30ft | Vampiric Touch 1/1
Kasha Mvashti wrote:
Kasha doesn't hear the sound over the droning tones of the cleric, but as Sunday points out that he believes the man they'd come looking for was below-decks, she produces a slender wand of smooth hickory and moves toward the hatch, bending and warping the wood to open.

:3

”Maybe, but not by much.” Friday tells the Paladin.


Male Aasimar Paladin (Hospitaler)4 Cleric 1 | HP: 28/38 | AC 15 T2 FF15 | F+8 R+5 W+10 | Init +2 | Perception +10 | LOH 5 of 6/day

That right stand back was directed for you and Kasha Friday, im sorry didnt mean to make it seem like he was ignoring you :)


HP 49/49 | AC 15/13/12 CMD 22 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Initiative +8
Skills:
Painting +8 Perception +13 Stealth +13
Favored Enemy Human +2 | Darkvision 30ft | Vampiric Touch 1/1

Friday is really sneaky :3


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Aasimar Paladin (Hospitaler)4 Cleric 1 | HP: 28/38 | AC 15 T2 FF15 | F+8 R+5 W+10 | Init +2 | Perception +10 | LOH 5 of 6/day

Just wait till you get ninja trained its going to be like... wasnt friday just here....ninja! I kid, . . . although the death wielding spear warrior mixed in with ninja does seem cool :P


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 49/49 | AC 15/13/12 CMD 22 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Initiative +8
Skills:
Painting +8 Perception +13 Stealth +13
Favored Enemy Human +2 | Darkvision 30ft | Vampiric Touch 1/1

Just ask those Dire Corbies... poor Dire Corbies.


Back!

The wooden hatch gives a couple of *snaps* and *cracks* and a little *pop* as it swings open.

The eulogy continues uninterrupted.


HP 49/49 | AC 15/13/12 CMD 22 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Initiative +8
Skills:
Painting +8 Perception +13 Stealth +13
Favored Enemy Human +2 | Darkvision 30ft | Vampiric Touch 1/1

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18

Friday peers in before making his way in.


Friday's Perception:
The hold below decks is dark... and surprisingly enough, very misty near the centre of the room, where the mast supposedly is.

The rattling of chains stops.


HP 49/49 | AC 15/13/12 CMD 22 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Initiative +8
Skills:
Painting +8 Perception +13 Stealth +13
Favored Enemy Human +2 | Darkvision 30ft | Vampiric Touch 1/1

"There's a lot of mist down there." Friday quietly tells the others before slowly lowering himself down.

Stealth: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13


GM Rolls:
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

Friday lowers himself into the hold, and his foot slips on the wooden deck, causing him to kick something in the dark. It makes a loud *CRASH*.

There are several pieces of treasure and keepsakes that once belonged to the old thane being stored in this hold.


HP 49/49 | AC 15/13/12 CMD 22 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Initiative +8
Skills:
Painting +8 Perception +13 Stealth +13
Favored Enemy Human +2 | Darkvision 30ft | Vampiric Touch 1/1

Nothing to do other than shrug Firday begins searching for who they came to rescue.

Friday has Darkvision btw


Male Aasimar Paladin (Hospitaler)4 Cleric 1 | HP: 28/38 | AC 15 T2 FF15 | F+8 R+5 W+10 | Init +2 | Perception +10 | LOH 5 of 6/day

Following Friday down he paused even with his enhanced vision well... It sure would help if everyone could see properly.

"close your eyes friday its about to get real bright..."

Casting daylight on Kavell's Holy Symbol


HP 49/49 | AC 15/13/12 CMD 22 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Initiative +8
Skills:
Painting +8 Perception +13 Stealth +13
Favored Enemy Human +2 | Darkvision 30ft | Vampiric Touch 1/1

Friday only had to think for a split second when Kavell said for him to close his eyes when he heard the word “bright” and instinctively closed his eyes before the spell went off, the sudden brightness burning his vision even through his eyelids. After awhile he slowly began to open his eyes again, blinking blearily to adjust to the light.


Kasha Female Human Shamaness (Nature Spirit) 5

Peering down into the now illuminated space, Kasha looks for any sign of the man they'd come to liberate.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11


Kasha's Perception:
Even with the daylight from Kavell's magic, the mist shrouding the centre of the ship makes it difficult to tell if Ulf is aboard. A more thorough investigation is needed.


Kasha Female Human Shamaness (Nature Spirit) 5

"Can't really see much because of this mist," Kasha replies going further down into the murky depth of the funeral ship.


HP 49/49 | AC 15/13/12 CMD 22 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Initiative +8
Skills:
Painting +8 Perception +13 Stealth +13
Favored Enemy Human +2 | Darkvision 30ft | Vampiric Touch 1/1

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14

Friday follows alongside the Shamaness.


Male Aasimar Paladin (Hospitaler)4 Cleric 1 | HP: 28/38 | AC 15 T2 FF15 | F+8 R+5 W+10 | Init +2 | Perception +10 | LOH 5 of 6/day

He quietly took up the rear frowning as he looked this way and that.

"Let us hurry, I am not sure when the services will end, but I would hate to be on board this boat when...well you know."

He said simply.

perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17


Female Rakshasa-Spawn Tiefling Arcanist 5 | HP 22/22 | AC 13 T 12 FF 11 | Ft +2 Rf +4 Wi +4 | Init +6 | Perc +4 (+6 if Xel within arm's reach)

"Don't jinx it, Kavell," Valeria remarked.
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
No bonus from Xel since he's too much of a chicken to come down into the hold. Although Valeria's sure to sense him panicking the moment they have something outside to worry about.


The mist below decks parts before Kavell's daylight spell... and pierces the darkness to reveal a horrific sight before the party.

Dressed in a chain shirt, expertly forged and fitted for a ruler and reaver, and bearing a steel greataxe forged in the shape of a wolf's head, an emaciated figure stands before the party, chained by the leg to the ship's mast. His skin is a sickly sea-green and covered in a thin layer of rime. One eye is glowing with a green light, and the other is missing from its socket--replaced by a grey stone, etched with a rune. The once-living Ulfen warrior's elaborately-braided beard is white with frost, and dripping with a seemingly endless supply of seawater.

The Mad Reaver himself is not resting easy, it seems.

DC 14 Knowledge (Religion):
It appears Snorri Stone-Eye is a draugr--a type of Ulfen undead that rises when an Ulfen raider dies at sea without proper burial rites. Unfortunately, the Mad Reaver has risen as a draugr captain--lacking the horrible stench of a lesser draugr, but capable of ripping out a man's soul piece by piece with his axe. He's capable of conjuring a mist that obscures people's vision, even his own.

The undead warrior growls something, and raises his axe!

Initiative (Kavell): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Initiative (Friday): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Initiative (Valeria): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Initiative (Kasha): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Initiative (Snorri Stone-Eye): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Round 1: Friday, Valeria & Kasha are up!


Female Rakshasa-Spawn Tiefling Arcanist 5 | HP 22/22 | AC 13 T 12 FF 11 | Ft +2 Rf +4 Wi +4 | Init +6 | Perc +4 (+6 if Xel within arm's reach)

"See? Now we are gonna be on here when it goes up in flames. So let's not waste time."

Pulling one of the scrolls from her pack, Valeria quickly unfurled it and attempted to use the spell within on as much of the party as possible.

Move action to retrieve Scroll of Haste.
Standard to attempt to cast it.
Caster level check for scroll: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19


HP 49/49 | AC 15/13/12 CMD 22 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Initiative +8
Skills:
Painting +8 Perception +13 Stealth +13
Favored Enemy Human +2 | Darkvision 30ft | Vampiric Touch 1/1

With Valeria's celerity empowering him Friday plunges his spear forward twice in quick succession.

Attack: 1d20 + 11 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 11 + 1 = 29
Damage (piercing, magical): 1d8 + 15 ⇒ (5) + 15 = 20

Attack (haste): 1d20 + 11 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 11 + 1 = 20
Damage (piercing, magical): 1d8 + 15 ⇒ (6) + 15 = 21


Valeria's scroll coalesces into a ball of pure magic that suddenly winks out of existence, and everyone in the party feels much faster.

Friday's spear finds its mark twice in quick succession, plunging through the dead reaver's chest and gut. It still stands, but it's wobbling on its feet!

Kasha's up!


Kasha Female Human Shamaness (Nature Spirit) 5

Kasha grabs the starknife at her hip, sending it tumbling end over end to plunge into the undead reaver, before reversing it's direction to return to her hand.

+1 Returning starknife: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

"Don't let him hit you, his axe can hack apart your soul!" the shamaness calls out, her voice dripping with revulsion at the corruption of the natural order before them.


Kasha's starknife strikes the draugr square, but skips off of its hardened flesh and flies back to her hand.

Stone-Eye raises his axe, and moves in on Friday...

Chop Chop!: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

...and as the wolf's head axe whistles through the sea air, Friday's spear intercepts it!

Kavell is up!


HP 49/49 | AC 15/13/12 CMD 22 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Initiative +8
Skills:
Painting +8 Perception +13 Stealth +13
Favored Enemy Human +2 | Darkvision 30ft | Vampiric Touch 1/1

Dauds don't have those... I wonder if my mother gave me one? Friday thinks to himself after Kasha's warning. Granted that wasn't a thought to give in to recklessness, since soul or not he wasn't interested in getting hit with that axe.


Male Aasimar Paladin (Hospitaler)4 Cleric 1 | HP: 28/38 | AC 15 T2 FF15 | F+8 R+5 W+10 | Init +2 | Perception +10 | LOH 5 of 6/day

knowledge religion dc 14: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

He had either not been paying attention in his studies involving such things or perhaps they had never went over such undead creatures.... At least Kasha had some idea what it was.

"Go back to your eternal rest creature... you dont belong here anymore."

He began slipping amongst the seats to stand beside Friday and thrusting his glaive into the creature empowered by holy energies

smite: 1d20 + 5 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 5 + 3 = 13
damage: 1d10 + 2 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 2 + 6 = 9

I doubt that hits but if it does, well smite ignores DR


Stone-Eye swats Kavell's glaive aside with a twist of his axe.

Round 2: Kasha, Friday & Valeria are up!


HP 49/49 | AC 15/13/12 CMD 22 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Initiative +8
Skills:
Painting +8 Perception +13 Stealth +13
Favored Enemy Human +2 | Darkvision 30ft | Vampiric Touch 1/1

Friday keeps up his assault.

Attack: 1d20 + 11 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 11 + 1 = 30
Damage (piercing, magical): 1d8 + 15 ⇒ (3) + 15 = 18

Attack (haste): 1d20 + 11 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 11 + 1 = 32
Damage (piercing, magical): 1d8 + 15 ⇒ (1) + 15 = 16
Confirm: 1d20 + 11 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 11 + 1 = 21
Critical: 2d8 + 30 ⇒ (6, 6) + 30 = 42
If that confirms 58 total.


Friday rams his spear through Stone-Eye's chest again, and then drives it into his skull. He gurgles and stops moving once Friday yanks it out.

Combat over.

Snorri Stone-Eye was carrying:

--1 masterwork greataxe
--1 masterwork chain shirt
--1 grey spherical stone with a teal Ulfen rune carved into it.

DC 27 Spellcraft (Grey Spherical Runestone):
It's a nacreous grey sphere ioun stone. It protects against magical aging, and guards against the ravages of time.

With the Mad Reaver put to rest, the ship goes quiet. A search of the ship's interior reveals that aside from Stone-Eye's worldly possessions, neither Ulf Gormandr nor Suishen are aboard.

"who's there"

A strangely monotone voice that sounds like the ringing of a bell comes from deeper within the ship.

"on the pile, over here"


HP 49/49 | AC 15/13/12 CMD 22 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Initiative +8
Skills:
Painting +8 Perception +13 Stealth +13
Favored Enemy Human +2 | Darkvision 30ft | Vampiric Touch 1/1

Friday moves over looks at the pile for the source of the voice calling out to the group.


Kasha Female Human Shamaness (Nature Spirit) 5

Curious despite her disgust, Kasha studies the stone for a moment but cannot determine it's purpose.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Turning as she hears the voice, she gets the attention of the others, drawing her sickle and pointing in the direction of the strange voice. "Someone...or something else here."


Female Rakshasa-Spawn Tiefling Arcanist 5 | HP 22/22 | AC 13 T 12 FF 11 | Ft +2 Rf +4 Wi +4 | Init +6 | Perc +4 (+6 if Xel within arm's reach)

Looking over the stone after Kasha's examination, something about it seemed strange to Valeria.
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19

While she wasn't able to determine anything about it, something about it suggested that it would be worth hanging onto for future examination. While trying not to think about how she'd basically just stolen a dead guy's prosthetic eye.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kasha Female Human Shamaness (Nature Spirit) 5

TROPY


Friday & Kasha look around the hold of the funeral ship, and manage to find the source of the voice--a golden Ulfen helmet, with wings of silver and pearl. It seems oddly out of place among the other possessions.

"hello" It says, the two jewels above the helmet's brow flashing. "i am Helgarval"

"i believe i know why you are all here"


HP 49/49 | AC 15/13/12 CMD 22 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Initiative +8
Skills:
Painting +8 Perception +13 Stealth +13
Favored Enemy Human +2 | Darkvision 30ft | Vampiric Touch 1/1

Friday gives a slight bow to the helmet before saying "I am Friday, we are looking for a man named Ulf, do you know where he is?"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Female Rakshasa-Spawn Tiefling Arcanist 5 | HP 22/22 | AC 13 T 12 FF 11 | Ft +2 Rf +4 Wi +4 | Init +6 | Perc +4 (+6 if Xel within arm's reach)

"You're just gonna roll with a talking helmet like it's the most normal thing in the world?" Valeria muttered. She was wondering where she'd read about something like this in the past - an artificial body suggested a construct, but few of those were articulate and aware like this one was, magical beasts tended to look at least somewhat organic. Could it have been a creature from another plane, then?

Know Planes: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30


HP 49/49 | AC 15/13/12 CMD 22 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Initiative +8
Skills:
Painting +8 Perception +13 Stealth +13
Favored Enemy Human +2 | Darkvision 30ft | Vampiric Touch 1/1

"... as opposed to?" Friday blankly asks.


Valeria's Knowledge Roll:
You've actually read quite a bit of lore about planar creatures while on your way to Kalsgard--and picked up a bit of information about Ulfen customs while you were at it.

Ulfen warriors almost never have helmets this ostentatious, even for decorative purposes--the wings would simply provide an opponent a point of leverage with which to knock them off. That, and they'd make getting through doors a pain. No, you're quite certain that this 'helmet' is actually a cassisian angel.

"i suppose i am a rare sight in this corner of the mortal plane" Helgarval replies. "but, yes, i know of the man you seek"

"he is no longer here; he was once kept here, but the Frozen Shadows have taken him away"


Female Rakshasa-Spawn Tiefling Arcanist 5 | HP 22/22 | AC 13 T 12 FF 11 | Ft +2 Rf +4 Wi +4 | Init +6 | Perc +4 (+6 if Xel within arm's reach)

Any questions Valeria might've had about what a Cassisian Angel was doing here got put to the side when she remembered something rather important.

"As many questions as I have, I think we need to start making tracks before they start the cremation. We can talk about this when we're not on a wooden boat that's about to be set on fire when none of us can swim."


HP 49/49 | AC 15/13/12 CMD 22 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Initiative +8
Skills:
Painting +8 Perception +13 Stealth +13
Favored Enemy Human +2 | Darkvision 30ft | Vampiric Touch 1/1

Friday nods and picks up the helmet. ”Who are the Frozen Shadows?”


As soon as Valeria makes her observation, and as Friday picks up Helgarval, there's a soft *FWOOMP* from above decks.

The boat suddenly lurches forward a bit, then begins to drift in the harbour's current.


Female Rakshasa-Spawn Tiefling Arcanist 5 | HP 22/22 | AC 13 T 12 FF 11 | Ft +2 Rf +4 Wi +4 | Init +6 | Perc +4 (+6 if Xel within arm's reach)

"Please tell me we tied the boats to this one before we came down here."


Male Aasimar Paladin (Hospitaler)4 Cleric 1 | HP: 28/38 | AC 15 T2 FF15 | F+8 R+5 W+10 | Init +2 | Perception +10 | LOH 5 of 6/day

"Yes... we did, Friday would you like to carry our new friend?"

He asked not quite running upstairs... but moving rather quickly.


Kasha Female Human Shamaness (Nature Spirit) 5

"That definitely sounded like fire." Kasha says heading up the stairs after the others.


HP 49/49 | AC 15/13/12 CMD 22 | F +5 R +5 W +3 | Initiative +8
Skills:
Painting +8 Perception +13 Stealth +13
Favored Enemy Human +2 | Darkvision 30ft | Vampiric Touch 1/1

”Well I picked them up,” Friday replies as he begins leaving with the others, the talking helmet under his arm.


Finally back in!

The party, with their new helmet-angel friend in tow, race back up to the deck, and are greeted by a burst of heat and smoke. The Aril's Hammer has been set adrift, and the pyre around the mast has been engulfed in bright orange flames. Smoke spirals into the sky as several shapes emerge from the smoke--shapes of men. Six men swathed in black and violet, their faces masked by strips of black cloth, bearing knives and other, strange weapons as they advance.

"i'm afraid those are the Frozen Shadows. we must escape before the ship burns to the waterline" Helgarval intones.

The assassins draw their knives and leap to the attack!

Initiative (Kavell): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Initiative (Friday): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Initiative (Valeria): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Initiative (Kasha): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

Initiative (Frozen Shadows): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Round 1: Kavell is up!


Male Aasimar Paladin (Hospitaler)4 Cleric 1 | HP: 28/38 | AC 15 T2 FF15 | F+8 R+5 W+10 | Init +2 | Perception +10 | LOH 5 of 6/day

He took a quick step forward and began to pray to his goddess bringing his glaive down hard as he struck at the first foe on his left.

five foot step forward

attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
damage: 1d10 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

If there is an AoO roll below I do have a ten foot reach weapon equipped so if any move past the first i Should get to smack them.

AoO: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
damage: 1d10 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

3,851 to 3,900 of 4,486 << first < prev | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Road to Minkai: Dragoncat's Jade Regent Gameplay Thread (Party 2) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.