Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

The Ravaging of the River Kingdoms (Inactive)

Game Master Darksmokepuncher


51 to 100 of 1,358 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Thanatos and Nyx walk over to the yard and take a seat, eyes glancing around to see what was around them.

Perception Check 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

"Defend? Defend from what? Please, explain what's going on here."


Male Hobgoblin Barbarian

Nor takes a seat beside Nyx.
"It's the griggs, isn't it? Those fluttering pests loosed a volley on us down the road."

Shadow Lodge

Svetlana snickers.

"Not griggs, surely? They are the very soul of hospitality. Sounds like an imp or two to me."

She snickers again. "But you are funny to say it. Thank you. I haven't laughed for some weeks."

A heavy sigh brings back the age to her eyes.

"It's brigands we seek protection from. You may have noticed, for a 'trading post', we ain't exactly trading much. Every month, they return and take more and more." Her voice cracks. She begins to cry. "If we can't stop them tomorrow, we'll be ruined!"

She excuses herself and runs inside, leaving the three of you to wonder.


Male Hobgoblin Barbarian

Nor stands from the bench, turning to shout up at the man repairing the roof.
"Oleg! Is this true? Why don't you two just leave?"

Shadow Lodge

Oleg, who has been nailing new tiles to the roof, stops mid swing. He turns slowly and regards Nor curiously: judging something about him.

Thrown hammer attack on Nor. 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

"Damn my old eyes but I'll hit you next time you presume ta tell me 'bout my business! I ain't got no wheres else ta go and I wouldn't wanna if I did! This is my home! You wanna help, fine. 'f you don't then be on your way, but don't think for a second that I won't kill your gobo ass if'n you try to take what's mine! Ya hear?"


Thanatos laughed at the fiery old man. "Oleg! Calm yourself! Give us some food and reasonable trading prices and your support in the future and I'm sure my companions and I can help you out."


Male Hobgoblin Barbarian

Nor scowls at the hammer, biting his lip. He turns to his companions, with a lowered voice, as to not let the old traders hear.
"I've been called a bandit before, and ran those types for a short time, west of here, closer to Numeria. One thing a brigand will do is prey on the weak. I'll wager if we can show these scoundrels we are not to be bullied, perhaps we could win their whole lot. Maybe even to get them to leave these two alone. Bandit friends could be useful, I might be the first to say it. That, and they know this land better than us. What do you two say? Doesn't sound like Nyx has any bones to pick."

Overly pleased with his wit, Nor's wide grin reveals all of his chew-stained teeth.


Male Orc Ranger

After a time of watching and remaining stoic, Dagoth jumps into action against the man. "You need to hold your temper or I will cut you and your wife down next time you make an attack against us. Secondly, We will take care of your problem, but in return you will do what we ask, when we ask it." Dagoth unsheathes his axe and calls his bird with a large shrug, all while staring down the man. "I am sorry to be blunt, but we need allies and you need mercenaries," he pauses and waits for the man to reply. To his companions he turns and whispers, "I think we kill or turn the brigadiers and be done with this menial task."

Shadow Lodge

Oleg looks smack faced after Dagoth's words. Unsure of what to say, he goes back to his work.

Svetlana said the bandits will come tomorrow. You have the rest of today to plan and or talk with the traders. Let me know when you're ready.


Male Orc Ranger

"Do we have an agreement or shall I make plans to leave before the marrow?"


Nor Gexxa wrote:

Nor scowls at the hammer, biting his lip. He turns to his companions, with a lowered voice, as to not let the old traders hear.

"I've been called a bandit before, and ran those types for a short time, west of here, closer to Numeria. One thing a brigand will do is prey on the weak. I'll wager if we can show these scoundrels we are not to be bullied, perhaps we could win their whole lot. Maybe even to get them to leave these two alone. Bandit friends could be useful, I might be the first to say it. That, and they know this land better than us. What do you two say? Doesn't sound like Nyx has any bones to pick."

Overly pleased with his wit, Nor's wide grin reveals all of his chew-stained teeth.

Nyx shakes his head at Nor.


"Calm yourself Dagoth. No need to cut down our hosts for the evening. What shall we do about tomorrow? Oleg! How many bandits are there?"

Thanatos sighed as he gently patted Dagoth on the back.

Shadow Lodge

"I'll not speak with such a murderous wretch in my presence. If you have questions, you can wait on my wife. I have work to do."

Moments later, Svetlana emerges carrying a large pot of stew.

"It's not much, but it is hot. I hope you're hungry."


Male Hobgoblin Barbarian

"Thanks, Svetlana. A hot meal is always welcome. How many bandits do you expect tomorrow morning? If you're this hospitable to strangers like us, perhaps it is your cooking that keeps them coming back."
Derplomacy 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

Shadow Lodge

"Thank you." She blushes. "I just do what I can."

"At first, there were at least a dozen of them. Lately there have been fewer. I can't guess how many might come tomorrow though."


Male Orc Ranger

Dagoth thinks hard about his next move, while walking with the others.

Dagoth rotates between himself and his companion picking slowly away at the bowl.


"Thank you Svetlana. Do you know how they're armed? Did you see bows, swords, lances? Any info you can provide would help us formulate a plan. And are there any guards here or just you two?" Thanatos states as he slurps up the soup and summons water to drink.

Shadow Lodge

"It's just the two of us, and I'm sorry, but I do not know about their arms. I try to stay inside and let Oleg deal with them."


Male Hobgoblin Barbarian

"If their numbers are fewer each time, they perceive you as a lesser threat. Hm, chances are, their leader was only present at the beginning, too."
Nor finishes his stew, puzzling out his chances. He liked the prospect of adding twelve more scars to his hide.
"Thanks again, Svetlana. I would like to discuss our strategy in private."

Shadow Lodge

A quizzical look and a gracious nod see Svetlana off to assist Oleg, who has begun to grumble and curse about something behind the stables.


"So what say you Nor? Think this is a defensible position?" Thanatos let out a burp of pleasure after finishing his stew and started in on Nyx's portion.


Male Hobgoblin Barbarian

"It surely is, though we are too few to man the battlements, and those engines have seen better days. I say we let them inside, see if we can persuade or frighten them into fighting for us. If they do not agree, well, then I'll do what I do best."

Nor removes the falchion from his pack, along with a whetstone, and proceeds to sharpen the edge.

After a moment's thought, he continues, "I noticed your skill in magic on the way here, Thanatos. Can you be counted on to help, should one of us fall?"

Shadow Lodge

Jump in on the role play anytime Josh. Also, your "kill everyone" attitude is valid, but remember you are level 1 in a sandbox campaign. Perhaps deception and diplomacy better fits your station than an iron fist? At least for now?


Male Orc Ranger

"If a fight broke out and we already let them surpass our biggest defense, I just don't like it. If we kill there leader they might run. I say that's are best chance. We route them, then make them turn on each other. I say we fight and when he shows his face we do everything we can to gut the b!*+& like a stuffed pig." After his robust rant he goes back pondering he will strike against his personal grudge.


Male Hobgoblin Barbarian

Nor nods at Dagoth's enthusiasm.
"Good point. We can bar the gates, and address them from the wall, then? If things get bloody, I'll be needing a bow and quiver, though I'm not sure I have the patience for it."


Thanatos pondered a bid and looks at the walls and the gate, looking to see if there is a walkway up top. "Do you have any giant pots by chance? We can fill them with boiling water or oil to pour on any unsuspecting foes. I don't mind if things get bloody. I'm sure my queen could use more offerings.." Thanatos trails off, mumbling to himself.

Shadow Lodge

Who are you talking to? The Leventons are elsewhere, but no, there are no such pots. However, it is possible that with proper lining some of the feed sacks could work for what you suggest.


[ooc]Whoops, didn't realize they can't hear from behind the stables.[/ooc[

"Nor, I can keep you healed during the upcoming fight. If you die though... No such ability yet. My queen hasn't granted me that power yet."


Male Orc Ranger

"Alright so hears the plan. We defend the fort as long as we can, but as soon as we loose ground we regroup inside the building." The tactician hiden in the large orc starts to mark a makeshift map of the outpost in the dirt."I seriously doubt they expect any kind of resistance. So as they approach we'll want to separate them, and the best way to do that is with fire. We'll need to ruffle up some hay or lightweight fuel, and place it in random piles throughout the inside and outside of the fort. As they progress we will light the piles via flaming arrows or torches, this will create a smokey battlefield, which will aid us in concealing our numbers. " Dagoth takes a breath, "Once we fought the first wave or things start to look slightly bad, I will call out a feigned retreat. Where we will regroup, but most importantly draw them in. Once inside they will have little chance of retreat. The main point is to bring the leader to us, where we can slay him, and hopefully take his men as our own." Dagoth pauses and stands up out of awkward squat. "Nor you need a bow and you should try to acquire one hopefully from the rude old human. After that, we will start setting those oil-doused bonfires."

How tall are the walls around the trading post?

Shadow Lodge

10 feet with 15 foot towers.


Male Orc Ranger

"Lastly, I agree with Thanatos' idea. Keep your eye's out for pots or any anything that we can scavenge to make some sort of painful deterrent. "

Searching for anything that meets the criteria= 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Shadow Lodge

You can easily find some sacks. There are also leather scraps around that could be made into a lining with a moderately difficult craft: leather or profession: tailor check.

Keep in mind too: This trading post is not a fort and it is made of wood. It is not as sturdy as you may be thinking. Also, based on Svetlana's info, it would be safe to assume 2-6 bandits tomorrow.

Let me know when the plan is ready or if you need to speak to the owners. When you're ready, I'll post their arrival.


"Dagoth.... You want to set fires in a wooden fort? Are you daft? And why all this for just a handful of bandits? Judging from what Svetlana is saying, the leader doesn't even come anymore it's just the minions." Thanatos asked as he looked for places to conceal themselves so the bandits wouldn't know of their arrival.

Perception Hiding spots 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


Male Hobgoblin Barbarian

"Maybe not fire, then, but a spike pit with a false covering might help separate their numbers a bit. Where to put it, though?"

Satisfied with the blade's edge, Nor puts away the stone and falchion. "I need to see if Oleg has a bow, before I forget."

Nor walks around the stable, picking up Oleg's hammer on the way. When he finds the old man, he returns the tool.
"Oleg, you are a poor shot. If you have a bow and a full quiver, I could make better use of it than you."


"Ha! I'm sure you could lad. I'm sure you could. I do actually think I have one. Follow me."

Shadow Lodge

Oleg leads you to the storeroom where many furs and other goods sit stackedin a heap. He hands you a bow and a quiver.

Longbow and 25 arrows.


"This lot is for them. Our "tribute" as it were. I'd be glad to see 'em all cut down."

He looks you in the eye, gives a stern nod, and walks away.


Male Orc Ranger

"We make small fires of light weight fuels, easy to control. But my skills are more focused around pillaging, if'd you rather not set fires around the fort so be it. We could let them take everything, then follow the brigadiers back kill them or what have you then bring the stolen goods back?"


"I don't understand, why not just fight them here? I'm sure you could take 4 of the bandits yourself. Unless you want to trail them back and take on the entire bandit clan?"


Male Hobgoblin Barbarian

Nor turns to hide his mocking grin from Oleg as he returns to the others.
"Trail them back? The whole clan? I like my odds better here. Even if we can't press them into our service, we can leave one for questioning. Dagoth, I sense you will be very good at 'questioning.'"


Male Orc Ranger

"Just throwing out options. Let them come, all this planning is over thinking the situation. We have strength, surprise, and a small fort! If there are more then ten we should man the battlements, if there are less we should let them in."


Male Hobgoblin Barbarian

"Sure. I'm ready."

DSP, Nor is ready.

Shadow Lodge

Noted Nor. You get 1 bonus HP for being ready first!


"Let's do this then."

Shadow Lodge

At the end of the day. Oleg and Svetlana go to bed saying they won't come out until you come to get them. Oleg shows you how the gate works so you can close it or leave it open.

In the morning, an hour past 1st light, you hear the sound of hooves on earth.

Before I can go further, I need to know if the gate is open or closed. Someone just make a call and post it, or you can all deliberate. You choose and let me know.


Male Hobgoblin Barbarian

Close it. We will see how many there are, and then decide to open it or not.

Shadow Lodge

Looking through the small gaps in the palisade, you see 5 horseman approaching the trading post. The rear most rider is clearly the highest ranking among them: a silver amulet bounces on his chest.

They get to the the gate and are enraged to find it closed. They call out in their anger: the leader loudest among them.

"Getting bold Oleg!?"

"Maybe some fire would move your ass!"

"Open up old man!"

"No fair hoarding that beautiful wife Oleg!"

"Our fee just went up old man!"

Answer back, open the gate, throw stuff at 'em. Whatever you want. If you take an aggressive action, roll initiative.


Thanatos whispers to the others. "Well, there's just 5. Let's open the gates, let them ride in, slam the gates behind them so they can't escape, and end this."


Male Orc Ranger

Dagoth opens the gate and unsheathes his greataxe. Trying his best to stay out of sight.

Shadow Lodge

Dagoth Stealth 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

Nor Stealth 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28

Thanatos Stealth 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2

Nyx Stealth 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (13) - 3 = 10

The bandits jeer as the gate opens. However, when they see Thanatos and Nyx in place of Oleg, they whip themselves into a frenzy!

Initiatives:

Bandits
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
Average=14

Players
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Average=10

You gain a surprise round. Each of you can take a move OR a standard action. Then the Bandits have initiative. They have not yet ridden into the trading post. They have only spotted Thanatos and Nyx. Nyx acts on Thanatos' initiative.

51 to 100 of 1,358 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Ravaging of the River Kingdoms All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.