Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


The Pact Stone Pyramid (Inactive)

Game Master Pact Stone GM

A Pathfinder Module, converted from 3.5 to the Pathfinder system, with a party of level 7.


3,801 to 3,850 of 6,763 << first < prev | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | next > last >>

Male Dwarf Fighter 5/Rogue(Trapsmith) 2
stats:
Hp's: 77; AC 23, T: 12, FF: 18; Perc. +12; Fort: +9; Ref: +8, Will: +7

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27 vs 14
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26 vs 13
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13 vs 12

Breach, realizing the time is now, follows the cue of the others and prods the back-stepping Moonpate into moving forward.


Female Elf Druid 5 (desert)/Rogue 3 (spy)

DC 14 Perception check: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14
DC 13 Sense Motive check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
DC 12 Sense Motive check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Xerissa doesn't really know who the Sand Sage is, so his appearance won't mean much to her. She's not getting a good read on anybody's faces right now which is makin her nervous. One hand slowly sliding to a bomb flask here.

Get ready! This is either going smooth as buddah, or we're gettin played and we've walked into something we totally shouldn't have. Since Javall has the SW references thing going, I'm going with "I've got a bad feeling about this."


“Three Interlopers”

[Several hours ago. . .]
-----
It was a painful decision, but the Master’s dark god-fiend had granted him the pragmatism to make the right choice. Soan’s priority was to find the interlopers who had dared attack the Exemplar in front of him, undermining the very security he had pledged to provide. He would bring them all to dark justice. As such, the Master chose to follow the group of three larger men: the claw-toe, the iron-shod boot and the unfit one. He knew them well. Not only were they part of the assassination attempt in the Golden tent days earlier, they were also the three survivors responsible for yesterday’s clumsy assault on the north side of the camp (and rather bold attempt to commandere a palanquin golem). If the Sage had done his job that day, the three would not have escaped. Now it had fallen to Soan to pick up the pieces, a task which had so far taken the entire night and well into morning.

To pursue the three interlopers, Soan had to grudgingly abandon the tracks of the other three men he had been following as well. Two of those other tracks belonged to two fellow brothers of his very own order, the Shrine of Horns. The monks' apparent desertion or solo mission was a mystery to Soan that the Master would love to have solved, but one which would have to wait. While he would have preferred to chase them down and beat an explanation out of them, he decided he could not afford to give the interlopers any more time. He suspected they were circling around back to the dig site. If so, they could not be afforded any more freedom. Soan had been taking his time, studying his prey, but no longer. Class dismissed.

Soan set out after the three interlopers, racing at a great speed, like that of a horse, or more accurately, like that of a great feline predator.


Gandel wrote:
Gandel bows respectfully toward the Exemplar, being careful to keep his eyes averted from her face. Trying to keep his excitement in check, the young and wiry Osirion slave carrying a spear and shield straightens and heads toward the pyramid's opening, hoping that his companions are following his lead.

-

The Exemplar nods appropriately at her servant's gesture of fealty and smiles brightly as the slave honours her by obediently making his way up the ramp to the pyramid mouth without needing to be ordered. A moment later a second slave passes the first on his way up the ramp, matching or even surpassing his enthusiasm. Perhaps this lot included some genuine patriots after all. If they survived, they would be well rewarded.


“Three Becomes Nine”

[Many minutes ago. . .]
------

The Master stood quietly collecting his inner thoughts. Although his heart pounded in excitation, his mind focussed and became perfectly still.

His three quarries had ceased all attempts at hiding their tracks and had instead made a mad rush back to the dig site. Following them had been was no obstacle for Soan. Nor was closing the distance unseen; their speed was vastly inferior to that of the Master.

That chase had brought him here, to this place, with four lifeless corpses hanging on sticks speared into the sand. Two more bodies lay in a shallow depression amongst the dunes.

The dead Osirions were once guards, now they were just meat - perhaps carrion for desert birds. The use of the term “guard” though was a rather loose one in the Master’s opinion. These men had clearly failed to guard anything at all, including a simple open stretch of desert that lead to the south border of the Exemplar’s camp.

It would appear that while the three men that Soan pursued were rushing in from the east, another team of four snuck in from behind and subdued all six men. It did not appear to have been much of a fight.

Seeing as the Osirions had failed to be of any use, Soan thought it best if he consumed their life force to replenish his ki and revitalize himself after a long night’s hunt. The guards could better serve their Exemplar in that way. After the Master twisted the neck of the first guard hanging on the spear, the other three squirmed wildly.

Apparently they did not agree with the Master’s plan for their further service. The two on the ground, tied up as they were, managed to roll ten or fifteen feet at most before Soan stepped on their necks ending their struggles. Their deaths would be questioned later, probably by that disagreeable Sand Sage, but it could easily be blamed on the interlopers who were clearly making a further incursion into Khymrasa’s camp. There were tracks enough to establish that.

Flush with ki from consuming the life force of the Osirions as they died, Soan continued to analyze the tracks. When he studied the tracks with his infernal sight, even the near-invisible disruptions in the sand provided him with vast amounts of information. With his ki now as strong as it was, if he focussed hard enough, Soan could even extrapolate a still image of the track’s creator, revealing exactly who made each depression, perhaps what they were wearing at that exact moment in time, or even what fool expression marked their faces.

Soan could see that the three big men that he had followed all morning had now reunited with the other four, swelling their total to seven. The three big men were exhausted at first, no doubt from the long run, but their tracks and associated images quickly became reinvigorated. Likely, they had been healed. A cleric was likely among the group of four. Soan loved to slay priests. He hoped it was one of those Sarenrae fanatics. There were lots of Sarenrae worshippers this far south.

In any event, the seven sets of reunited tracks accounted for all three of the dwarves that Soan saw in the Golden tent days earlier. The Halfling that did the talking that day was now here as well - as unlikely as it seemed to Soan, perhaps he was the leader.

The surprise though was the arrival of a slender half-elf. He knew this track. He had seen it causing no end of minor skulduggery around the camp the week prior, though never quite reaching the level of threat that he would have bothered to dealt with her personally. The half-elf was not at the Golden Tent when the interlopers attempted to assassinate the Exemplar. She must have been held in reserve. Interesting - the Exemplar’s enemies were consolidating.

Master Soan did not fear their growing number. Perhaps when their numbers sufficiently swelled they would finally stop running and face him.

And swelling they were. Soan spied yet two more groupings of tracks. Soan had almost missed them. One was the cleric who opened the dimensional rift a few days ago at the Golden Tent. The other was new to him, or was it? He would keep an eye on that one. Something bothered him about it but he couldn’t put his finger on it.

Regardless, that made nine in total. They were now a small army, one which would be unsuited to travelling in the camp for very long without being detected.

Soan could see that the group of nine congregated here only briefly. From here the reunited group travelled north through a field of dunes headed for the slave section of the camp. Their tracks were fresh and they were not moving fast. If he moved quickly, Master Soan would be on them in no time at all.

Soan reflected on where he was going and where he had been. This all confirmed his earlier suspicions. The interlopers had split-up and attempted to lead him away far away into the desert on some manner of wild goose chase. Then they dared to circle back and re-enter his lair. They had almost succeeded in outmanoeuvring him but they would soon learn their folly.


Moonpate wrote:
"Old Man" Moonpate hesitates nervously, taking a step back to allow for one of the "guards" behind him to "escort" him forward.

-

Moonpate's plan works perfectly - almost. Breach catches on immediately and steps in to take advantage of Moonpate's ruse.

One of the Exemplar's actual guards though quickly cuffs Moonpate with his metal wrist guard, seeking to motivate the draftee to reconsider.

OOC: Moonpate takes 1 point of non-lethal damage - a small bruise at most, it will heal in one minute.

Moonpate is among those who does speak Osiriani:

For Moonpate:

The guard tells Moonpate to 'show courage' like his brothers - probably refering to Hal and Gandel moving up the ramp.

The guard also tells Breach to get the heck out of the way and get back to wherever the heck his post is before he throws him in the stockade.

Breach thinks the guard might be talking to him, but he's not sure.


”A Brief Stopover for a Quick Drink of Ki

[Several minutes ago. . .]
-----
The Master continued to follow the nine sets of tracks as they wound through the shadows of the slave camp. He was embarrassed to see the interlopers had actually passed right by a tent where one of his shrine brothers was engaged in steam meditation. The Master risked a brief pause to enter the tent. Once there, he quickly broke both of the Chelaxian’s arms and legs. Then he scalded his flesh on the fire outside the tent, leaving the broken brother to writhe on the ground before moving on. It seemed to Soan that if the brother wasn’t prepared to use his limbs in defence of the camp when nine – yes nine – invaders marched by, then he had no particular use for those limbs at all.

It was incidental, to be sure, that the Master’s sudden burst of violence against another fellow predator further swelled his ki. Soan could now feel his life force frothing inside him. The sensation was like that of an ocean churning with great swells. The raw power was kept in check only by his sheer will, like the stone gates of a mighty dam. The Master looked forward to opening the flood gates of that dam on the interlopers as he closed in. Ever since the god-fiend had favoured him with the chance to consume an archon yesterday, his ki had scaled new heights of power, previously unreached.


Karek Kogan wrote:
Karek begins to prod those poor schmucks forward, following close behind to make sure none escape.

-

One of the "real" guards immediately steps into Karek's path his spear in front of him like a crossbar. He doesn't look too pleased. Perhaps this is a union job and Karek's violating code or something. Karek (and Donkor) have been cut-off!


Now officially scared out of her mind, Lydia stays close to Halstadt, scrambling after him up the ramp. When she looks back she sees Donkor, Karek (and soon Breach) being cut off by the guards.

"Noooo-ooo," she mouths, uncertain what to do.


“An Empty Tent of Emerald”

[Not many minutes ago. . .]
-----
The tracks of the nine lead to the Emerald tent. Soan instantly knew that this presented a serious problem. This was the tent that was being used to store the slaves the Exemplar recruited to enter the pyramid – today. Although their path was circular, they nine had deliberately made their way here. It was too much to be a coincidence. Yet, the location was secret. How could they have known?

Moving swiftly like a cat, Soan rushed inside the tent.

He was too late.

It was empty. The nine were no longer here. There were no slaves inside either. Perhaps most troubling of all, the guards were gone too. Everyone was gone. Nothing was left but a near-empty food table (and, oddly enough, a large tent canvass rolled into a ball).

Soan focussed on the tracks coming and going from the Emerald tent to see what could be learned. Again the images materialized before him and the clues slowly puzzled into place. A large procession had come, not long ago. The Exemplar’s men: they picked up the conscripted slaves to take them to the pyramid. But the tracks of the slaves were all wrong. The Exemplar’s men did not collect the slaves. They collected the interlopers instead. Could the fools not even count? They picked up nine people instead of six. From here, they headed directly to the dig site, to Ahn’Sehlota.

Soan also located the six tracks corresponding to the Exemplar’s true draftees. Five of them had now fled to the west, one though turned south. Soan could not be certain where the slaves had actually headed and he did not have time to follow the tracks. All he knew for certain was that while the Exemplar’s real draftees appeared to be still alive, they were nowhere near the pyramid where they should be.

Truly the nine interlopers had become incredibly bold. No longer were they just threatening the Exemplar. Now they had somehow become imposters and were setting themselves up for a chance to pillage Ahn’Sehlota under the Exemplar’s very nose. Her humiliation would be total. That must not happen. Was it possible? Could the nine actually know of the Pactstone?

There was even more mystery to this story though. There was the matter of the three tent guards. They left on their own power. Soan assumed the nine must had disabled them to enter the tent, but there were no bodies, only exit tracks. The guards travelled northwest, towards the Master Camp. The moved at a great speed, but they were clearly not chasing the departing slaves or the imposters. Why then? Did they flee to try to get help? If so, why was the camp not on alert?

Finally, there was also another single track leading to the outside of the tent. Soan considered that someone else had observed all of this as it occured. But who? And what side were they on? Soan activated his infernal sight and began to study the track as only one wielding the true power of a Bezekira of Ramlock’s Hollow might.

Suddenly in the distance the Master heard the sound of Osiriani drums. It came from the great pit. The Exemplar’s speech was about to begin! There was little time. Soan exploded nito action. He found the first guard he could find and ordered him to round up a squadron of soldiers and bring them to the dig site. He was to send for every brother of the Shrine he could find.

Soan did not wait to see if the guard fully understood his Osirani. He raced towards the dig site moving so fast his body began to blur.


Male Dwarf Barbarian (Breaker) 8

Well, yikes. I will wait for the input of others, before I do what a barbarian does. So, we have what, one guard in front of me? How many nearby? How many on Donkor? You can't do that to me without me wanting to talk tactics.


Male Human Wizard Level 8 - Conjurer
Karek Kogan wrote:
Well, yikes. I will wait for the input of others, before I do what a barbarian does. So, we have what, one guard in front of me? How many nearby? How many on Donkor? You can't do that to me without me wanting to talk tactics.

I am hoping, that with Donkor speaking Osirion, he can come up with something to tell the guards (like the Sand Sage personally threatened them with this escort job) to get them to back off and let you three escort us volunteers inside. Otherwise, it looks like we are going to have to dispatch the guards quickly (maybe just pushing them off the ramp) and make a dash inside. I can cast a stinking cloud behind us to discourage pursuit.


Male Halfling Bard (Archivist) 6 / Pathfinder Delver 2
Moonpate wrote:
... I can cast a stinking cloud behind us to discourage pursuit.

Is that a spell or an extraordinary ability?


Master Soan wrote:

Ever since the god-fiend had favoured him with the chance to consume an archon yesterday, his ki had scaled new heights of power, previously unreached.

Ouch! That is one amazingly awful recurring enemy, Master Beetle. Your cut scenes once again have flavored the stew we are in with more than a dash of terror.

Now I also feel bad about that poor archon I summoned. Pay back for all this crazy monk's deeds will come...right guys?


Male Human Wizard Level 8 - Conjurer
Gandel wrote:
Moonpate wrote:
... I can cast a stinking cloud behind us to discourage pursuit.
Is that a spell or an extraordinary ability?

LOL! Depends on who you ask and what I've had for lunch.


Male Dwarf Fighter 5/Rogue(Trapsmith) 2
stats:
Hp's: 77; AC 23, T: 12, FF: 18; Perc. +12; Fort: +9; Ref: +8, Will: +7
Xerissa Auraraun wrote:
Since Javell has the SW references thing going, I'm going with "I've got a bad feeling about this."

HA! Love it! :)

Pact Stone GM wrote:


Moonpate's plan works perfectly - almost. Breach catches on immediately and steps in to take advantage of Moonpate's ruse.

One of the Exemplar's actual guards though quickly cuffs Moonpate with his metal wrist guard, seeking to motivate the draftee to reconsider.

Breach thinks the guard might be talking to him, but he's not sure.

Breach remains quiet in hopes that he's not talking to him.

Pact Stone GM wrote:
One of the "real" guards immediately steps into Karek's path his spear in front of him like a crossbar. He doesn't look too pleased. Perhaps this is a union job and Karek's violating code or something. Karek (and Donkor) have been cut-off!

Breach comes to a stop, wondering why Karek and Donkor have been stopped themselves. As he scans the actions of the other guards, Breach mentally prepares himself for battle. First, I'm gonna kill that one. Then, I'm goin' after that one. And if that one is still alive, then he'll be next. But I'm thinkin' they'll all be dead by then. The way I'm figurin' it, we'll be home by supper.

I say we draw steel and end these fools! Bring on this Soan fella! He ain't nobody! I don't care if he can kill me with a mere thought! He can't kill everybody with a mere thought... Can he? :P

Or, we wait and see what Donkor and/or Hal come up with. And if they can't come up with nothing then... DRAW STEEL AND END THESE FOOLS! Heck yeah!

Okay. I'll stop helping.


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

Hal continues forward into the mouth of the pyramid. He turns back to see what is happening and notices his allies stopped by the other guards and quickly formulates a plan. I will wait for Donkor to act, if the group is still stuck I have an idea I will put to good use but it is extreme.


Male Half-orc Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 4 / Sorcerer 1/Dragon Disciple 3

Hurgah will have followed along when people began moving towards the pyramid. No idea what side of the guard he is on.


Moonpate wrote:


I am hoping, that with Donkor speaking Osirion, he can come up with something to tell the guards (like the Sand Sage personally threatened them with this escort job) to get them to back off and let you three escort us volunteers inside. . .

-

Moonpate wrote:
I will wait for Donkor to act, if the group is still stuck I have an idea I will put to good use but it is extreme.

-

Heh. This sounds interesting. Though the memories of gamers must be short. Does nobody recall what happened the last time salvation was laid to rest with Donkor?


Karek Kogan wrote:
Well, yikes. I will wait for the input of others, before I do what a barbarian does. So, we have what, one guard in front of me? How many nearby? How many on Donkor? You can't do that to me without me wanting to talk tactics.

-

There is a single elite guard stepping in front of Karek, directly in his path. He is adjascent and threatening Karek. The guard is also adjascent and threatening Donkor, though he does not block his path.

There are nine more guards in the escort. They are spread out around the Dune Squad, though they no longer in the front - Hal, Gandel and the Scarab (and soon Hurgah) are headed up the ramp. None of the other nine guards are within Karek's reach at the moment. A five-foot step would potentially get Karek next to two others, if they remain where they are when Karek moves. But all nine could close with a move action - theirs or yours. I would consider these nearby.

Karek has no idea how many more guards are down here - perhaps 40. Plus a dozen more Asmodean monks, plus Khymrasa's personal bodyguard, which is maybe another six. Most of these guys are over thirty feet away, but they could probably form a nice ring around Karek very quickly.

There maybe double that ringing the upper lip of the dig site, but they are far above. It would probably take them a turn or two to come racing down the dirt ramp that rings the pit.


Hurgah the Reaver wrote:
Hurgah will have followed along when people began moving towards the pyramid. No idea what side of the guard he is on.

-

Hurgah is in the middle of the guard procession. As he is following those moving forward, he is now making his way up the dirt ramp to the pyramid mouth (with Hal, Gandel and Lydia). That puts the guards all behind him, or to the side. None in front.


Phrip wrote:
Now I also feel bad about that poor archon I summoned. Pay back for all this crazy monk's deeds will come...right guys?[/ooc]

-

Ah! I am pleased that Moonpate has not forgotten the noble Noorulahn.

I wonder if it is true that if an archon is slayed by an evil ki-stealing monk that it cannot return home to the blessed celestial realm, but instead is left to suffer in the dark extra-planar layers of the monk's fiendish overlord. (Probably not.) Perhaps said payback is required in order to release the archon's imprisoned ki before Noorulahn can ever be free.

Regardless, Noorulahn would not care. The celestial would eagerly repeat its sacrifice for Moonpate many times over if it helped further the cause of the righteous.


Male Dwarf Barbarian (Breaker) 8

I guess I also need more information about this ramp business. There's a ramp up to the pyramid. Could I throw this guy off? How far up does it seem to extend? Finally, how far would we have to go if we just made a break for the pyramid? Sorry for the questions. I guess I'm a visual kinda guy.

Oh, and how tough does it look to hit this guy?


Male Dwarf Barbarian (Breaker) 8

I could just double move around him, right? I mean, he could hit me, but he'd have to have taken a feat to make me stop.


Karek Kogan wrote:
I guess I also need more information about this ramp business. There's a ramp up to the pyramid. Could I throw this guy off? How far up does it seem to extend? Finally, how far would we have to go if we just made a break for the pyramid? Sorry for the questions. I guess I'm a visual kinda guy.

-

Let's talk ramps.

Karek is in a giant pit, about 200 feet deep. There is a ramp of compacted dirt which circles the pit like a helix. It provides a way for someone to march in and out of the pit. (I.e. The fancy lift is not the only way up and down).

There is a second, much smaller dirt ramp. It leads to the square hole on the south facing side of the pyramid. It is only about 15 feet long, less than 10 feet high. It is new, probably built for you guys or your voluntold predecessors.

None of the guards have ventured on to the dirt pyramid ramp. Their goal appears to be to get the "volunteers" up the ramp and into the pyramid, not themselves. Disguised as a guard, Karek is also not on the ramp. He has now been blockaded from doing so. Though as you note, it is only a single guard.

For Karek to run into the pyramid, he's looking at a sprint of about 40 feet tops. That gets him just inside the entrance shaft.


Karek Kogan wrote:
I could just double move around him, right? I mean, he could hit me, but he'd have to have taken a feat to make me stop.

-

Yes. Karek could just move around him and take one or more attacks of opportunities. I think we decided he had his armor on.

I'm not sure a feat is the only way, but I get your meaning. He could in theory stop Karek if he say, killed him, or performed a combat maneuver, or used the hold person in his +5 spear of spell storing etc. But it sounds like I am grasping at straws, right?


Karek Kogan wrote:
Oh, and how tough does it look to hit this guy?

-

As Belkar would say, if Karek can't hit this guy it's time to get out the hitting business. Unless his jewlery is magical, he is unarmored. And assuming he doesn't anticipate it, he would be further flat-footed. He looks pretty muscular, like he's tough enough to take a good sucker punch. Can he take an earthbreaker?

I suspect Karek is not overly worried about this one soldier, rather it is his 50+ friends that likely concern him. They are unlikely to take kindly to what I think Karek is contemplating.


Male Dwarf Barbarian (Breaker) 8

Thank you for obliging a young dwarf's curiosity. Your information has been very helpful. I promise to reward you with bunches of Bunky RP posts. (And some Karek ones, maybe.)

I will now wait, briefly, for Donkor to "try" some sort of "diplomatic" option.


Male Human Wizard Level 8 - Conjurer
Pact Stone GM wrote:


-
Heh. This sounds interesting. Though the memories of gamers must be short. Does nobody recall what happened the last time salvation was laid to rest with Donkor?

Definitely don't forget that. He's crazy brilliant, with probably a slight emphasis on the crazy (or not too slight as the case may be).


Male Human Cleric/8

Back again, catching up

Perception vs 14: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Sense Motive vs 13: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Knowledge: History vs 13: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Sense Motive vs 12: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16


Male Human Cleric/8

Okay, nothing particular crazy, original or brilliant I'm afraid. What I have in mind is this:

Moved almost to tears by the rousing speech of the Exemplar, Sooron looks to the guards near him, encompassing Breach, Karek, and the exemplar's elite trooper.

He looks bravely to Khymrasa, and makes so bold as to speak to her directly, "Oh great, brave and noble Exemplar, we cannot constrain ourselves further, and must be part of this venture! For the glory of our ancestors, for the greatness of Osirion, and mostly for our love of you, I beg that you allow us to be part of this grand exploration!"

He takes Karek's hand in one of his, and the Exemplar's bodyguard in the other, and raises up their arms with him in a gesture of jubilation, with a fanatical smile on his face, and prepares to turn and run into the pyramid with a happy skip and hop as soon as he receives her acknowledgement, if it it comes.

Not sure if that will be Diplomacy, Bluff, or Perform: Acting or something else you might have in mind, so I won't roll it. Feel free to roll as and when required.


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

Hal will try to reach the mouth of the entrance and step inside as soon as possible in case Donkor's ruse fails and his backup plan becomes required.


Male Dwarf Barbarian (Breaker) 8

Karek hastily nods in agreement with the Sooron's words.


Female Elf Druid 5 (desert)/Rogue 3 (spy)

Xerissa follows the non-blockaded people up the ramp! Double-time!!! Whatever is in there is officially better than out here.

Holy wall of text Beetle! I think the Cole's notes on all that Master Soan stuff is that we better get in the pyramid right freakin now!


Donkor Sooron wrote:

. . . He looks bravely to Khymrasa, and makes so bold as to speak to her directly, "Oh great, brave and noble Exemplar, we cannot constrain ourselves further, and must be part of this venture! For the glory of our ancestors, for the greatness of Osirion, and mostly for our love of you, I beg that you allow us to be part of this grand exploration!"

Not sure if that will be Diplomacy, Bluff, or Perform: Acting or something else you might have in mind, so I won't roll it. Feel free to roll as and when required.

-

Well as I always say, it’s not a Bluff if you truly believe it. I’m glad to see Donkor has finally re-discovered his patriotism and what’s important. No roll required.

Just kidding, it’s a Bluff check opposed by the Exemplar’s Sense Motive and anyone else who hears him. If Donkor can make a DC 10 Acting check, I’ll add a +2 bonus on top - it'll mean he has included just the right blend of enthusiasm and toadying. Additionally, I will give him a +4 circumstance bonus for astutely telling the lady exactly what she wants to hear (You cad!).

But, before I roll: are you sure you don’t want to spend an Action point and open an obscure planar rift of some kind? Cause this really feels like the time. No? OK, then.
-----

Donkor’s Bluff check: 1d20 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 2 + 4 = 25
Donkor’s Profession (acting) check vs DC 10 to add +2 to the above total: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14


Donkor Sooron wrote:
. . . For the glory of our ancestors, for the greatness of Osirion, and mostly for our love of you, I beg that you allow us to be part of this grand exploration!"

-

The Exemplar silently waves her hand, gesturing towards the opening. She grants the exuberant guard and his two companions their desperate wish: they may have the honor of risking their lives for their country.

She may even make a point of getting the soldiers' names later. . .


Donkor Sooron wrote:
He takes Karek's hand in one of his, and the Exemplar's bodyguard in the other, and raises up their arms with him in a gesture of jubilation, with a fanatical smile on his face, and prepares to turn and run into the pyramid with a happy skip and hop as soon as he receives her acknowledgement, if it comes.

-

Just a very minor point of clarification - I am pretty sure we are on the same page regardless.

The Exemplar has a set of ten soldiers which retrieved the "volunteers" from the Emerald tent. Those are the guards next to you and which were potentially blocking the way. These are the guys with spears and expensive bracelets. I'm pretty certain that's who you mean.

Khymrasa also has a separate group of body guards (non-soldiers) who crowd around her and protect her from harm. These guys are really hulk-like and have khopesh at their side. Karek tangled with one very briefly in the Golden Tent, if I recall correctly. They look different, from the guards but more importantly have very different stats.

Donkor is not close enough to the Exemplar or her bodyguards to grab one of their hands, but he can attempt this with one of the guards, which I suspect is what he meant. I will continue to take the liberty of your blank cheque to roll for Donkor. After my last roll of 19, it would be hard to complain.
-

Donkor's touch attack to grab the hand of a guardsman:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26 (success!)
-

The guardsman attempts to yank his hand away, but Donkor has it securely - Karek's as well. The guard intends to clonk Donkor with his free hand which still clutches his spear, but stops himself when he realizes all eyes are upon him. Donkor draws an attack of opportunity for his unarmed attack against a guard who threatens him, but the attack of opportunity is declined.

Through gritted teeth he mutters something in Osirion to the effect of:

"What the [insert Osirion expletive] are you doing!?!? You [insert Osirion expletive - something about Donkor's carnal affection for undead goats ]!! Nobody has come out of that death trap alive!"

But otherwise the guard just smiles, as though happy to be part of Donkor's spontaneous volunteer group.


Halstadt Morgrym wrote:
Hal will try to reach the mouth of the entrance and step inside as soon as possible in case Donkor's ruse fails and his backup plan becomes required.

-

It appears to have been successful, save for that Donkor appears to have chosen to bring a guard other than Breach. . .

The three are now running up behind you, followed by Xerissa. It is chaotic.

Hal is just inside the opening, as is Gandel and the Scarab. Hurgah soon to follow, just making his way up the last of the ramp.

Moonpate is still near the bottom of the ramp, next to Breach.


Suddenly, the pyramid itself begins to vibrate.

A deep rattle from within is heard.


Male Half-orc Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 4 / Sorcerer 1/Dragon Disciple 3

Hurgah will hang back just before entering, allowing the others to catch up.

When the pyramid starts to move and make strange sounds, he whirls and crouches, ready for battle.


Male Dwarf Barbarian (Breaker) 8

Karek merrily bounds up the ramp alongside Donkor and the unfortunate guard, not a care in the world.


Male Human Cleric/8

Sorry, my intent was unclear as to the guard I am drafting. I had intended to wrangle the guard that had stepped in front of Karek, and include him in the venture so things seemed more seamless to the exemplar. A guard she knew joining us in our spontaneous patriotism. Breach was unimpeded, and I only have two hands, so I was attempting to include him in the plan with a glance. Thanks for the awesome rolls!

Donkor responds to his. New guard friend, "We will be the first brother!" And beats feet happily into the vibrating death trap with him, Karen, and hopefully breach. Hopefully my looks at him told the exemplar he was included.


Male Dwarf Fighter 5/Rogue(Trapsmith) 2
stats:
Hp's: 77; AC 23, T: 12, FF: 18; Perc. +12; Fort: +9; Ref: +8, Will: +7

Breach jumps at the chance Donkor's created and attempts to follow the others, while "politely" shoving Moonpate forward along with him.

Breach will head that way with Pate as quickly as he can get there... without looking too anxious of course. If possible, that is.


Male Half-orc Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 4 / Sorcerer 1/Dragon Disciple 3

As soon as the last stragglers are within a few yards, Hurgah steps into the pyramid.


Donkor Sooron wrote:
Sorry, my intent was unclear as to the guard I am drafting. I had intended to wrangle the guard that had stepped in front of Karek, and include him in the venture so things seemed more seamless to the exemplar. A guard she knew joining us in our spontaneous patriotism. Breach was unimpeded, and I only have two hands, so I was attempting to include him in the plan with a glance. Thanks for the awesome rolls!

-

Sounds like we understood each other well enough. All good.

Donkor Sooron wrote:
Donkor responds to his. New guard friend, "We will be the first brother!" And beats feet happily into the vibrating death trap with him, Karen, and hopefully breach. Hopefully my looks at him told the exemplar he was included.

-

The guardsman says, "I hope I live long enough to see you die first, you fool!"


Breach Shattershield aka Javell wrote:

Breach jumps at the chance Donkor's created and attempts to follow the others, while "politely" shoving Moonpate forward along with him.

Breach will head that way with Pate as quickly as he can get there... without looking too anxious of course. If possible, that is.

-

There were in fact, two guards who were quite prepared to take issue with the usurpation of their jobs and Breach’s handling of their slave (Moonpate). They would have presented an obstacle. But now that they appreciate the risk of being accidentally recruited into this venture themselves by the overly enthusiastic, they have sensibly deferred to you, the unknown guard who seems to want to handle their job for them. They back away, giving Breach much room.

Breech and Moonpate are able to stride into the pyramid - a rather shaky looking pyramid all of a sudden.


Karek Kogan wrote:
Karek merrily bounds up the ramp alongside Donkor and the unfortunate guard, not a care in the world.

-

You enter!

(Wondertwin powers activate: dwarven stonecunning and darkvision)


Hurgah the Reaver wrote:
As soon as the last stragglers are within a few yards, Hurgah steps into the pyramid.

-

This happens!

Moonpate and Breach follow right behind.

The Entire Dune Squad is actually inside Ahn'Sehlota!

I feel like fireworks should go off or something. . .


Pact Stone GM wrote:
I feel like fireworks should go off or something. . .

-

Why not?

No sooner do Breach and Moonpate pass over the threshold when the entrance shaft ceiling begins to collapse. Huge chunks of stone blocks are falling from above, exploding into shards as they hit the ground.

Ahead of you is a dark empty shaft which appears to gently slope deeper into the heart of the pyramid. The 'corridore' is 10' wide and 15' high.


Level 8! Here we come!

Although with rocks falling on your head, this is probably not the time. . .

The XP story award for entering the pyramid is enough to put the Dune Squad over into level 8. It will come into effect as soon as you guys are able to rest.

Before your advancement comes into effect though you must first:

1. Actually update your character sheet.

2. Write a level-up post. It should cover your PC’s advancement in some way, or at least part of it. Have your PC discover a new ability or provide an inner-monologue with some insight into what your PC has learned in the past few days.

3. Have a rest session. It need not be an 8 hour spell-replenishing session, but you can’t level mid-combat video-game style while on the move (not here anyway). Standing around getting your heads clonked with falling stone blocks does not qualify. Unfortunately, descending blindly into a darkened corridor to run smack dab into greater perils doesn’t quite cut it either.

So this probably won’t happen for a while yet, but I wanted to give everybody a heads-up that it is on the way so you can start thinking about this: plan your new spells or new abilities and start crafting your advancement post. Remember at level 8 you get to increase an ability score!

3,801 to 3,850 of 6,763 << first < prev | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Pact Stone Pyramid All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.