Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

The Pact Stone Pyramid (Inactive)

Game Master Pact Stone GM

A Pathfinder Module, converted from 3.5 to the Pathfinder system, with a party of level 7.


3,701 to 3,750 of 6,763 << first < prev | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | next > last >>

Xerissa Auraraun wrote:
Sorry!!!! Was away this weekend at FanExpo. Let me get a coffee first, eh?

-

My bad - the closer we get to the pyramid, the more enthusiastic I become. I will restrain myself better.

I will add Xerissa's auto-success with her Disguise skill - Aid Another to the Disguise checks of the other party members. (Assuming they allowed her to critique and poke at them, their silence will be their vote in favor of the +2 bonus). Hurgah's disguise of total concealment, however cannot really be improved upon. As always, he is the very measure of perfection.


Male Dwarf Barbarian (Breaker) 8

Honestly, I never favor chances with weaponless damage. If we rushed in, the guards would see us coming with ill intent and likely get off at least one shout, even if everybody manages to take their target in one hit. With nobody else in the vicinity, though, and these looking like random guards, bluffing seems like it might work. Alternately, do we think Donkor could take them down with a channeled negative energy?


Male Half-orc Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 4 / Sorcerer 1/Dragon Disciple 3

I suggest sneaking up to the back side of the tent and cutting a small hole to peek in . Then perhaps Gandel can use message to tell the slaves that we are coming in, and to stay calm. We then cut through the back side of the tent, and use mending to hide the cut. Lydia can use her patented unseen servant trick as a distraction for the guards while we do the switch-a-roo. Timely application of vanish to sneak in might also be an option. I don't think taking out the guards is a no-go. Remember, we need them to be alive and well, once someone comes for "us".


Karek Kogan wrote:
Honestly, I never favor chances with weaponless damage. If we rushed in, the guards would see us coming with ill intent and likely get off at least one shout, even if everybody manages to take their target in one hit. With nobody else in the vicinity, though, and these looking like random guards, bluffing seems like it might work. Alternately, do we think Donkor could take them down with a channeled negative energy?

-

The Sooron gives a non-committal response about how it all depends on whether the goddess has decided it is the soldiers’ time or not.

OOC: Mr. Montony could tell you Donkor does an average of 14 points of damage with a single negative channel, so it all depends on the guards’ hit points and his die luck. He can definitely get them all in a single channel.

He would probably also support a Bluff. He also has his calm emotions spell re-prepared in case things go awry as another option, but is uncertain if it would stop the guard’s from raising the alarm.


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

I like Hurgah's plan provided that Gandel has the spells to pull it off. I do have a Thunderstone in my bag so that could be used a viable "distraction" my only concern is that the guards in front of the door would stay put and a fresh set of guards would come over to investigate the commotion. Let's see what Gandel has to say.


Male Human Cleric/8

At the pause for planning, you all note that Sooron looks uncharacteristically anxious, and if possible is discreetly feeling around in his haversack. He won't do this at the expense of disguise though.

Scouting around first almost always seems like the best option, to get more info. After that, his preference would be to use Calm Emotions and act his way through. Channel energy has the potential drawbacks of not taking them down at all, or potentially killing someone if we're trying to do this without taking lives.

He is, however, not particularly concerned about the sand sage's opinions about taking the lives of the guards though.

As an addition to Hurgah's plan, he could cast calm emotions on the tent before Gandel sends his message. It doesn't appear that I need line of site to make that work, and it has good range.

Before we do anything though, he will attempt the Eye of Sooron for one round to have a quick look-see in the tent and give a scouting report.

Thanks for the GM-PC's again Beetle, much appreciated. My epic summer of days off is officially over now, so I will return to regularly-scheduled postings!


Once again, the Sooron’s eyes display that look of perfect stillness as he invokes the holy power of farsight to peer inside the tent.

The Eye of Sooron*:

Here is a six second burst of info, just enough to quickly scan the room:

Inside the emerald tent is a large carpet covering the floor. It has been woven with a series of Osiriani emblems, each contributing to a patriotic theme. A table lined with jars of water and wine sits in the center of the tent. The table also contains a bountiful spread of food. It reminds Donkor of the set up waiting for the Dune Squad in the red tent days earlier.

There are six Osiriani men inside the tent.

1. A slave sitting on the carpet on the tent floor, looking rather sullen. He is young and wiry. His head has been shaved. It looks like he has been given a military-grade spear and a polished shield. He appears very uncomfortable with the spear, almost trying to keep it out of his arm’s reach.

2. An older male slave leans against one of the load-bearing tent posts. He is sipping from a canteen and feasting on a bowl of dried fruit in his lap. He has a quiver with white-fletched arrows. A short bow hangs from his back.

3. A soldier walks around the food table plucking pieces of cheese with a silvered dagger. While you could be mistaken, he looks to be one of the volunteers as opposed to an actual guard. His spear rests against the tent. He seems to have a rather confident, self-assured stride. He’s the only one in the tent actually smiling.

4. A fourth slave lies on his back at the back of the tent, shielding his eyes. He may or may not be asleep. Old whip-scars on his chest bear testament to his time of service in the camp. A bronze-hilted scimitar lies at his side, still in its scabbard where it sits balanced atop a circular shield.

5. An unusually tall and thin Osirion kneels in prayer on the carpet. His eyes are tightly closed. It is hard to be certain if this man is another slave or if he is a religious devotee of some desert spirit. He wears little other than a hurthra and sandals, not unlike most slaves. A wooden ankh hangs around his neck, but he carries no weapons.

6. A young slave paces back and forth nervously, occasionally testing out the heavy, two-handed falchion in his hands by making a stroke through the air. His back has been tattooed with several hieroglyphs. He occasionally attempts to peer out the front door at the guards.

It is possible some of the men were conversing, but Donkor cannot hear them and the flash of his farsight was too quick to be sure.

*I just realized that since Donkor is giving a report, everyone can read this tag.


Male Human Cleric/8

So, six huh? And at least one of them looks like he doesn't want to get replaced by us. Can I hit all of the occupants of the tent with Calm Emotions? Actually, in a perfect world, could I hit the whole tent plus the three guards with it?

Does anyone want to proceed with the Calm Emotions and then send Gandel in as originally planned? Or are there other, better ideas floating around?

Did I feel anything at all unusual in my Haversack?


Donkor Sooron wrote:
Can I hit all of the occupants of the tent with Calm Emotions? Actually, in a perfect world, could I hit the whole tent plus the three guards with it?

-

Unfortunately, the tent is just a tad too long – 50 feet in length whereas the spell is a 20 radius, covering only 40 feet at most. And as luck would have it, Donkor saw that one of the volunteers (#4) is sleeping or resting at the back end of the tent. Sooron could hit the other five volunteers, plus the three guards, or he could hit all six volunteers and skip the guards.


Sorry, I missed Donkor's pack check – appreciate the reminder.

Donkor Sooron wrote:
At the pause for planning, you all note that Sooron looks uncharacteristically anxious, and if possible is discreetly feeling around in his haversack. He won't do this at the expense of disguise though.

-

When Donkor inspects his haversack he finds that the source of the sound he heard was his decanter of endless water. When he slides it out to look he finds it is making incredible progress. He can almost see the glass visibly knitting itself together. Somehow the repair process has accelerated. Stranger still, some of the patterns on the decanter are now different, with strange ruins he had not seen before. Projecting ahead, Donkor also wonders if once complete, the decanter won’t be even larger and grander than before.


Male Halfling Bard (Archivist) 6 / Pathfinder Delver 2

"You say there's also a guard within the tent? That would make things a bit more difficult if I were to try to invisibly sneak in through the back or even just cast my message spell - he'd likely raise an alarm as soon as I cut through the tent fabric."

What if we were to try to Bluff our way in, perhaps bolstered by Donkor's Calm Emotions, telling the guards that we were sent as replacements for the slaves within the tent? We could tell them that we angered Khymrasa in some fashion, and this is our punishment. We could tell the slaves that they've been ordered back to their quarters. Don't know what to do about the guard within the tent though.


Male Human Cleric/8
Gandel wrote:


What if we were to try to Bluff our way in, perhaps bolstered by Donkor's Calm Emotions, telling the guards that we were sent as replacements for the slaves within the tent? We could tell them that we angered Khymrasa in some fashion, and this is our punishment. We could tell the slaves that they've been ordered back to their quarters. Don't know what to do about the guard within the tent though.

It sounds like I can Calm Emotions all of the guards, plus the soldierly guy in the tent, leaving just the rester and the sleeper. Figure 2/3 of them or so should fail their saves? Probably worth a try.

If I blanket cast the spell on the tent, will the people who succeed in their saves realize that somebody tried to cast a spell on them?


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

The bluff our way in seems like a sound plan. If it fails we can always ko the guards.


Donkor Sooron wrote:
If I blanket cast the spell on the tent, will the people who succeed in their saves realize that somebody tried to cast a spell on them?

-

Many electronic trees have died debating this divisive issue: I believe that RAW says a person who makes a successful save vs a spell with no visible effect will feel a "hostile force or tingle". Here though, Donkor won't be seen or heard and he was able to target his spell because he used clairvoyance. It should be very tough for anyone to deduce they've been "attacked". I'd massage this by saying that unless someone in that tent is mid or high level or has a really high INT score, Donkor should be safe.

It is also conceivable that the anticipated 1/3rd might notice the 2/3rds are acting weird. Though with calm emotions the effect is rather subtle.


Halstadt Morgrym wrote:
The bluff our way in seems like a sound plan. If it fails we can always ko the guards.

-

I am hearing a lot of support for a Bluff, but if someone could clarify: what is the bluff? Is it the one Gandel proposed? (We're the replacement team) and who is going to do the talking?


Male Halfling Bard (Archivist) 6 / Pathfinder Delver 2

I imagine it will go something like this: While Donkor is concentrating on his Calm Emotions spell, we'll approach the guards - looking rather dejected - and Gandel will tell them that we angered the Exemplar (through multiple misfortunes and mistakes on our part; for example, I accidentally spilled water in front of the Exemplar as she was inspecting the dig site, etc.) As our punishment we've all been ordered to take the place of the next group of slaves slated to enter the pyramid. The slaves within the tent are ordered to return to their quarters and wait; they will be summoned back if and when our failure has been assured. If the guards question why we came unescorted, we will tell them that the Sand Sage himself is observing our progress from afar - "His eyes are everywhere, you know, and any attempt to flee on our part will be met with swift and deadly force."

Bluff check: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
If it appears that the Bluff is failing, Gandel will bolster the check with Gallant Inspiration; adding 2d4 ⇒ (3, 1) = 4, re-rolling the '1' using Quisquatl: 1d4 ⇒ 2, for a total Bluff check of 24.


Female Elf Druid 5 (desert)/Rogue 3 (spy)

Well I'd rather leave this to the pros, but Xerissa could be an answer. She can use her hat of disguise to take the form of a slave master or even better a guard captain - has she seen such a thing? Maybe Lydia could assist her with the details of what she needs to look like. Maybe she could be one of those dark monk guys. Do they talk? Second, while her Bluff skill is in the toilet, she has no ranks, she can use a potion of glibness to get a big time bonus. She would use her wand of alchemical allocation so as to not waste the potion. And she speaks Osiriani to boot. She could then use Gandel's idea and present everyone as the replacement slaves. Based on Donkor's description we probably look more like an outfit that could be successful exploring a tomb. And like Hal says be ready to hit the guards if this fails. on that note, I am cool though if you guys want to go another way, cause then I don't need to expend wand charges and save it for inside the pyramid.

Also Pact, I am sending you a pic of Xerissa for the linky so check your Pactstone account. It's her slave girl look. Maybe I'll need another one for her guard captain or evil monk looks.


Female Elf Druid 5 (desert)/Rogue 3 (spy)

Looks like Gandel beat me to the punch! Nevermind!


Male Halfling Bard (Archivist) 6 / Pathfinder Delver 2

Actually I like Xerissa's plan better. Let her be disguised as a guard leading us to the tent, and she can take the place of the guard within the tent. Using her potion of glibness, she'll probably be able to Bluff the guards even better than Gandel's check rolled above. She could use the story I posted above, about how we angered the Exemplar in various ways and that the Sand Sage is watching our progress.


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

Let's go for it, Xerissa for the win! The only drawback is that one of our best bruisers is wrapped up but with Breach and Karek on one guy and the rest of us on the other we still have a decent chance of a KO for the outside guards. We will just have to worry about the inside guards if things go wrong.


Male Human Cleric/8

Okay, sounds like we're onto Xerissa's plan then. If everyone is in agreement, Donkor will try to find a discrete place/stance to cast and concentrate on his Calm Emotions spell, and we can proceed! We'll only have 7 rounds of the spell, so as close as we can get before I cast it the better.

I'd love to speculate and examine my decanter soon too, to see why it's growing so fast now, perhaps with help from Moonpate, but that looks like it will have to wait.


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

Before Xerissa makes a check Hal will use his Touch of Good ability to grant her a +3 bonus on the appropriate skill check.


OK, I'll take Gandel's roll as a pretty awesome Aid Another check. He supplies Xerissa with the story and then will perhaps provide some puppy dog tears to play the part of a young boy slave who is rather unhappy with the prospect of being hurled into a legendary pyramid from which, thus far, none of have returned.

As to Gandel’s sob story, wasting water is something which is rather frowned on in the desert in general and once again this does dovetail rather well with Khymrasa’s reputation, so I will give a further +2 circumstance bonus for that.

Xerissa, it looks like you will lose that charge in your wand of alchemical allocation after all. If you get this in time, clarify for me what you are going to be disguised as. A guard (the same thing as a soldier in this case)? A guard-captain? A Shrine of Horns monk? Xerissa has definitely seen what guards looks like. And you are right, if you want to upgrade to a guard-captain, the Scarab can assist you with the appearance details, she’s been here for many days. She or any of the Dune Squad could help you with a monk. Xerissa hasn’t seen any male guards, so I will assume she will disguise herself as a male.
-----

From behind the tent where the Dune Squad is currently hiding, Donkor peeks around the corner and casts his spell at the emerald tent. Donkor targets the three guards and most of the emerald tent, knowing from his mystic sight that he will likely miss at least one subject in the very back of the tent.

Soldier #1’s Will save versus calm emotions DC 15: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2 (fails!)

Soldier #2’s Will save versus calm emotions DC 15 : 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1 (fails!)

Soldier #3’s Will save versus calm emotions DC 15 : 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14 (fails!)

Person #1 inside the tent’s Will save versus calm emotions DC 15 : 1d20 ⇒ 15 (saves!)

Person #2 inside the tent’s Will save versus calm emotions DC 15 : 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 (fails!)

Person #3 inside the tent’s Will save versus calm emotions DC 15 : 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6 (fails!)

Person #5 inside the tent’s Will save versus calm emotions DC 15 : 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17 (saves!)

Person #6 inside the tent’s Will save versus calm emotions DC 15 : 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8 (fails!)


Male Human Cleric/8

Not bad, all the soldiers are calm at least! A nice time for a batch of low rolls from Mr. Beetle.


Female Elf Druid 5 (desert)/Rogue 3 (spy)

OK, let's do it! Between the potion (+20), Gandalf's aid (+2), the other bonus (+2) and Hal's touch of good (+3) she's got +27, plus her Cha bonus.

She'll go as a guard, with some rank, whatever the Scarab thinks she can help me best pull it off.


Male Dwarf Fighter 5/Rogue(Trapsmith) 2
stats:
Hp's: 77; AC 23, T: 12, FF: 18; Perc. +12; Fort: +9; Ref: +8, Will: +7

You fellas are rockin' with the plan! Even Breach is impressed with such a bluff. ;)


Hey Exciting! - Not only did you not give me any flavour text, you haven’t even given me a roll! Though I suppose you saw the guard’s Will Save’s and have deduced that their Sense Motive scores must make this an auto success. (Note: I am unduly hard on Mr. Exciting because I have it on past authority that he loves it.)

Sense Motive of Guard #1 against an astonishing/unknown Bluff check: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7

Sense Motive of Guard #1 against an astonishing/unknown Bluff check: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7

Sense Motive of Guard #1 against an astonishing/unknown Bluff check: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14

-----
Xerissa’s form waivers as her mystic hat causes a dark shadow to fall over her. When she turns around the shadow clears away. No longer is she a young slave girl, but a muscular and intimidating Okaro ('Captain') of the Exemplar’s Atuk ('brigadiers' - all purpose soldiers).

The Mithral Scarab proposes minor details such as boot size and bracer length to tidy up the disguise, but there is little time.

Xerissa then steps away from the Dune Squad to drink her potion (actually she’s backwashing it if I understand alchemical allocation correctly – and I don’t think anybody wants to watch our new Okaro do that.)

The Okaro then strides forward with his line of slaves in tow.

He confidently marches up the guards and explains he has brought a replacement crew. The guards are confused by this turn of events, but they seem to be accepting it none the less. They seem neither upset with their new orders nor particularly pleased. If anything their affect is unnaturally neutral, something that the unusually messy slave that is Donkor may have had something to do with.

The Okaro launches into his explanation of what the various slaves have done to deserve their fate, but soon discovers the guards don’t seem to particularly care. They seem more interested in learning if they should maintain their post or escort the old slaves back to their duties. The Okaro tells them they need to remain where they are. The slaves can find their own way back. While this might seem rather out of order, the guards seem very much inclined to let this one go.

One of the guards does ask, however, what the giant tent roll is for. It holds, the Okaro answers, excavation tools, of course. The Okaro then gets quite indignant and discusses how the slaves have been ordered to carve their way to the center of the pyramid to get around the various traps inside, something the current rag tag crew inside the emerald tent is unlikely to be capable of. Can the guards not see that the new batch of slaves are obviously diggers? Stout beard men? Muscle men with strong backs? And a child with teeny hands for fine tool manipulation? Okarao’s attempt to intimidate the guards from asking further questions seems to fail; the guards just don’t seem to get very stressed by much of anything. However, they do find his explanations quite satisfactory. The more detail the Okaro lays on, the more it all starts to click for them.

A minute later the guards organize themselves and eject the current batch of volunteers. As Donkor suspected two of the volunteers are not entirely content with this arrangement and ask additional questions. While they are clearly unhappy, they can’t seem to be motivated enough to express much more than mild regret. One of the volunteers, a soldier, was seeking fame and fortune and the Exemplar’s favour. The other was promised enough money to free his family from slavery. That will not happen now. While the pair will no doubt be even unhappier when the Sooron’s spell wears off in the next minute, the Dune Squad takes solace in the fact that they have probably saved their misguided lives.

The other “volunteers” are mildly pleased to be released. One young slave though – who must somehow be free from Donkor’s enchantment – whoops in pleasure and gives praise to the gods for answering his prayers and a second chance at life. They all quickly scurry off before anyone can change their minds. One slave/volunteer though lingers to express regret that a child (Gandel) should be sent into the pyramid. He is too young to volunteer he says and suggests that the departing should draw lots to see who would replace him. It is not right. Okaro shoot shim a look and the guards quickly usher the malcontent away with the rest of the departing men. Whether the slaves will now head back to their former posts or try to desert the camp and risk the sun-scorched lands beyond is anyone’s guess. All of them, save for the soldier, have left their weapons behind in the emerald tent.

The Okaro then orders the new batch of slaves inside, carrying their giant roll. He explains to the soldiers that he will watch over the crew from the inside, personally. Their orders are to keep the flap closed so that none may leave until the Exemplar’s people come to fetch them.

And with that, the Dune Squad finds itself inside the shade of the Emerald Tent, awaiting what they are not entirely sure. . .


"You did it!" exclaims Lydia in a whisper. Excited, she reaches down and gives Gandel a big hug and then shakes the Okaro's (Xerissa's) hand. "Nice work everyone."

"Now would somebody unroll the big guy before he suffocates?"


Breach Shattershield aka Javell wrote:
You fellas are rockin' with the plan! Even Breach is impressed with such a bluff. ;)

-

Actually with a score that high, I'm afraid Breach forgot it was a bluff and now believes it himself. If only he could remember what it was exactly he did that displeased the Exemplar so. (I kidd, I kidd!)


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

"Now what? Do we wait for someone to arrive and bring us in? Is it wise to unroll Hurgah now, don;t we need the tent roll to bring him into the pyramid successfully?" Hal takes a copper coin from his backpack and holds onto it for a spell just in case he needs it.


Male Half-orc Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 4 / Sorcerer 1/Dragon Disciple 3

From within bundle, a familiar rumble can be heard. Fortunately, the snores are mostly muffled by the canvas and various equipment....


Male Dwarf Barbarian (Breaker) 8

After putting Hurgah down and stretching his shoulders, Karek wastes no time in taking Hurgah's example and laying down for what rest he can gather before they are called upon to for their punishment... no, duty. Is it? He's beginning to have trouble remembering.


Male Human Cleric/8

Do we want to disguise ourselves a little more to try and look like the previous batch of volunteers? Is that even within the realm of possibility? It would raise questions with the guards we just bluffed, but might help to fool other people who may possibly know what we're supposed to look like.


Pact Stone GM wrote:
Hey Exciting! - Not only did you not give me any flavour text, you haven’t even given me a roll! Though I suppose you saw the guard’s Will Save’s and have deduced that their Sense Motive scores must make this an auto success. (Note: I am unduly hard on Mr. Exciting because I have it on past authority that he loves it.)

There! just for you i even have a fancy new disguise alias! Happy? And you still haven't posted my Xerissa pic. :)


Halstadt Morgrym wrote:
"Now what? Do we wait for someone to arrive and bring us in? Is it wise to unroll Hurgah now, don;t we need the tent roll to bring him into the pyramid successfully?" Hal takes a copper coin from his backpack and holds onto it for a spell just in case he needs it.

"Yes. The noblewoman in charge is going to send for the slaves. And we will be them."

"Once I use Krenshar's gift, I can disguise Hurgah along with all of us. You are right, until the spell is cast it might be best to leave him in there in case anyone peers inside the tent. That and i don't want to be the one to wake him up."


Female Elf Druid 5 (desert)/Rogue 3 (spy)
Donkor Sooron wrote:
Do we want to disguise ourselves a little more to try and look like the previous batch of volunteers? Is that even within the realm of possibility? It would raise questions with the guards we just bluffed, but might help to fool other people who may possibly know what we're supposed to look like.

Yeah, that's where the scroll will come in. It's a scroll of seeming, which conveniently Xerissa will be able to cast without flubbing a use magic device - thanks pact! Monotony's right, the guards on the outside will probably see the slaves they sent away emerge from the tent. If they pick up on that, we'll have to be ready for that."


Male Halfling Bard (Archivist) 6 / Pathfinder Delver 2

Perhaps there'll be a shift change and there'll be new guards at the entrance of the tent when it's time for us to emerge. Gandel will stay by the tent entrance to listen for such an occurrence.


Male Dwarf Fighter 5/Rogue(Trapsmith) 2
stats:
Hp's: 77; AC 23, T: 12, FF: 18; Perc. +12; Fort: +9; Ref: +8, Will: +7
Pact Stone GM wrote:

Actually with a score that high, I'm afraid Breach forgot it was a bluff and now believes it himself. If only he could remember what it was exactly he did that displeased the Exemplar so. (I kidd, I kidd!)

LOL!!! Oh man I just died on this. :)

"I'll wake 'im up." Breach grins mischievously. "Just give me the word."


Male Human Wizard Level 8 - Conjurer

The Potentate spies the table of food and beverage and begins to consume with a gusto, momentarily oblivious to their current predicament.


Moonpate wrote:
The Potentate spies the table of food and beverage and begins to consume with a gusto, momentarily oblivious to their current predicament.

-

Ah! it has been a rather rough couple of days for the Potentate. He finds a variety of fruits and nuts along with cool water and wine. There is also some kind of flat Osirion lemon cake-thing, sweetened with sugar. It is all quite excellent.

I should also mention there is a large white cloth over the table which drapes to the ground. It provides the only hiding space in the entire tent.


Gandel wrote:
Perhaps there'll be a shift change and there'll be new guards at the entrance of the tent when it's time for us to emerge. Gandel will stay by the tent entrance to listen for such an occurrence.

-

Perception +12

Gandel does not hear a shift change, but he is able to overhear the three guards as they chat to one another. He learns the following:

He learns that this is group number three (four if you count the group released). The previous two teams of volunteers did not return. Based on the cries heard coming from the pyramid, most are believed to have died not far from the mouth of the pyramid.

It is said that this will be Khymrasa's last try using her own people. After that she will perhaps turn to the dark-haired priests of the north. Maybe she will even send the Sand Sage.

Speaking of the Sand Sage, the guards also mention spotting some of those creepy eyeballs poking around the tent earlier. It's best to pretend you don't see them they decide.

Their discussion is cut short when the guards spot a procession of guards making their way from the dig site in the distance. The Exemplar must be ready and she has sent for her brave volunteers. The guards stop talking in favor of looking particularly alert. Gandel can see their shadows stiffen and what looks like their spears pointing to the sky.


Male Dwarf Fighter 5/Rogue(Trapsmith) 2
stats:
Hp's: 77; AC 23, T: 12, FF: 18; Perc. +12; Fort: +9; Ref: +8, Will: +7

Noticing the cloth on the table seems big enough to hide the half-orc, Breach shrugs, "Alright, let's get 'tent boy' outta there." Breach unravels the tent and nudges Hurgah awake. "Get up, ya oversized brute. We've not all day for you ta be sleeping." He pops him on the face a few times with his hand to get him his senses back.

When he finally arises, "You can hide under the tablecloth if we be needin' ya to. At least if things go wrong, we can 'ave ya ready ta fight. Ya can't do much for us if yur all wrapped up."


Male Dwarf Barbarian (Breaker) 8

Karek rouses himself when the room is made aware of the guard procession, and prepares to resume "looking the part". He snacks on a few fruits and nuts, but finds them too light for his tastes. Still, he appreciates them. It's not like this situation will get better. His trail rations are beginning to taste like mud.

Almost as an afterthought, Karek looks under the tablecloth.


Like Karek, I am going to assume that Gandel being the one smart enough to realize we needed to know what was going on outside is also smart enough to tell us all so that Xerissa knows it's show time.

"We gotta move people! Everyone get in close in a huddle, tuck your heads down like you are praying or something. It won't hurt a bit, but it will take a few seconds."

Xerissa gets out her scroll. If everyone assembles, she casts.


Male Human Cleric/8

Sooron assembles, and actually prays instead of pretending, hoping fervently that Pharasma wishes us to gain access to this pyramid!


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

Hal assembles and sends a silent prayer to Angradd thanking him for his fortune thus far and asking that he continue to be guided with His will in mind.


Male Human Wizard Level 8 - Conjurer

Moonpate quickly takes a big gulp of wine and stuffs several of the flat cakes into a small sack, just in case someone requires a snack along the way, before assembling with the rest of the group.


Male Half-orc Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 4 / Sorcerer 1/Dragon Disciple 3

As soon as Breach touches him, Hurgah's eyes snap open. He looks at the dwarf silently, the red pupils pulsing like smoldering embers. Without a word, he lurches to his feet, then looks around for instructions or danger.

When Xerissa calls them over, he joins the huddle.


Male Dwarf Fighter 5/Rogue(Trapsmith) 2
stats:
Hp's: 77; AC 23, T: 12, FF: 18; Perc. +12; Fort: +9; Ref: +8, Will: +7

Breach joins the others so as to quickly get this over with.


"Pause for a quick game of Design a Potion"

Once that huddle happens, it's probably a perfect time to quickly unveil Krenshar's aid package. You may recall Mr. Exciting alluded to this earlier, but I told him to wait. I think we're good now. Xerissa can explain that in addition to sending her with his plan to get everyone inside (how's that working out so far, by the way?), Venture Captain Krenshar also gave her access to the Kothi's lab to craft a powerful potion for each member of the team.

Xerissa opens her pack and reveals a bag of nine different potions. She invites everyone to quickly choose one while she casts her powerful spell from her scroll. (What distracts adventurers better than treasure?)
-----
OK, so here's how this works.

1. You can choose/design your potion. Any valid potion, you decide. However, in case you did not know this, a potion can only duplicate the effect of a spell of up to 3rd level that has a casting time of less than 1 minute and targets one or more creatures or objects. There are many books and internet sites with lists of suitable potions to give you some ideas.

2. In game, your PC is simply grabbing a potion inside the emerald tent before the Exemplar's soldiers arive. Out of game, you the player get to decide what the potion actually is. You can chose from Core or any Paizo peripheral.

3. This next part is totally optional, but you can also then choose to pimp your potion with any metamagic feat, as long as the metamagic feat would only increase the spell by two levels or less. Although this sounds cool, don't get too excited, I suspect there are not that many metamagic feats that actually work well with potions, apart from Extend. Maybe you can surprise me. But you also don't have to use a metamagic feat at all.

4. Your optional feat choice may also come from the Core book or any Paizo peripheral.

5. To take part in this exciting one-time offer, you need to send in a post with flavor text that (a) describes what the potion looks like; and (b) why your PC chose it - give me some internal dialogue so we get more insight into your PC's personality. The potion might be labelled, or your PC might just chose it on a hunch. As the one who crafted them all, Xerissa knows what all the potions do and will share that info so I will assume your PC shortly learns what their new treasure item is.

There are 9 potions in total. That includes one for Xerissa and one for the Mithral Scarab.

3,701 to 3,750 of 6,763 << first < prev | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Pact Stone Pyramid All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.