Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

The Pact Stone Pyramid (Inactive)

Game Master Pact Stone GM

A Pathfinder Module, converted from 3.5 to the Pathfinder system, with a party of level 7.


3,501 to 3,550 of 6,763 << first < prev | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | next > last >>

Male Dwarf Fighter 5/Rogue(Trapsmith) 2
stats:
Hp's: 77; AC 23, T: 12, FF: 18; Perc. +12; Fort: +9; Ref: +8, Will: +7

"Good eye, lass."

Intelligence check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Possibly +4 more due to Gandel's above post?


Gandel wrote:

Can Gandel attempt an aid another for Breach's INT check? If so: 1d20 + 2

Also, if possible Gandel will use Bardic Performance (Inspire Competence) to grand Breach a +2 competence bonus to the INT check as well.

-

Still hiding behind a hill-shaped dune with Breach, Gandel comments how he recollects Breach was a veteran of the Darkland Incursion wars of the 4670's (A.R.) and he likely spent over a decade monitoring the maze-like, patrols of invisible duergar commandos and troglodyte subterranean river guards. He politely muses that deciphering the rudimentary routines of human guards on the open surface in broad daylight should be pretty elementary for him, at least by comparison.

OOC: Inspire Competence works well here as does the aid another. Just cross off one use of the bardic performance. Not that Gandel will ever run out - unless I finally get to run that killer encounter that can only be survived each round with a use of bardic performance.


Breach Shattershield aka Javell wrote:
"Wait for it... wait for it... now!"

Confident in the exactness of his timing, Breach leap frogs over the dune that was his hiding place, the Scarab, Gandel and Hal in tow. From there, he begins a silent scramble towards the sentries. He knows there are only a few minutes at most before the first of the Osiriani camel riders will swing around and veer back within sight.

So, how close to do we want to get and what are we doing when we get there? Am I right this is still a stalking/Stealth attempt or has this turned into a charge? You are currently 300 feet away and closing. There are six guards, all facing away from your direction.


In the meantime, Donkor can't seem to discern a wide enough opening to realistically break into the camp without being seen. The good news is Xerissa and Sooron have not been spotted, despite their increasingly close proximity. Perhaps if they wait a better opportunity will present itself. Their other option is to try to 'remove' a patrol. (Or something else all together?)


Male Human Cleric/8

If it will help, Sooron will spend 3 rounds of his eye in the sky (clairvoyance) to try and get a better angle on the situation, and see if he can attempt to discern a way in that way.


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

Infiltration Team:
Before we move Hal asks Gandel for a bolt from his crossbow.

If we are spotted Hal will cast silence on the bolt and hand it to Gandel to fire between the guards on the dune. The radius should be large enough to prevent their horns from working. If we are not spotted we will do the same thing only under less duress. Hal explaisn his plan to Gandel ahead of time so that we sty near one another to implement it.

Hal turns to his companions before they move, "I have a spell that will hopefully keep the entire group distracted while the rest of you have a chance to knock the ones who are not affected unconscious. I would have preferred to do this near dusk but I guess we must make due". Hal prays to Angradd to aid the group in their newest crazy endeavor.


Donkor Sooron wrote:
If it will help, Sooron will spend 3 rounds of his eye in the sky (clairvoyance) to try and get a better angle on the situation, and see if he can attempt to discern a way in that way.

-

It certainly could.

Three rounds of the Eye of Sooron would get you a re-roll on his Intelligence check.


Halstadt Morgrym wrote:

Before we move Hal asks Gandel for a bolt from his crossbow.

If we are spotted Hal will cast silence on the bolt and hand it to Gandel to fire between the guards on the dune. The radius should be large enough to prevent their horns from working. If we are not spotted we will do the same thing only under less duress. Hal explains his plan to Gandel ahead of time so that we stay near one another to implement it.

Hal turns to his companions before they move, "I have a spell that will hopefully keep the entire group distracted while the rest of you have a chance to knock the ones who are not affected unconscious. I would have preferred to do this near dusk but I guess we must make due". Hal prays to Angradd to aid the group in their newest crazy endeavor.

-

Kudos to you Denis for reviving a total classic from the tactics section in the original Dungeoneer's Survival Guide. You are truly a dwarven cleric at heart. Not only does the silence cover your own approach, once fired it prevents your enemy from signalling (and probably from spellcasting too).

The catch is that since 1st edition, somewhere along the way, I haven't looked as to where, the duration on silence got 'nerfed' as the kiddies say to a much more balanced level. It is only 1 round per level. Currently you are 300 feet away. Assuming the group is still using stealth and travelling at the speed of its slowest members, it will take 15 rounds before you upon your opponent. So I think you are right that you want to hold off casting your 7 rounds of silence until the last possible second. Let’s say Hal is effectively taking a readied action to do this, if a member of his outfit is spotted. Technically, he can’t really do that and stealth forward at the same time, but we get the idea – we’re still out of initiative at this point. Maybe if this goes right for him, it can even stay that way.


The Scarab slithers over a dune like a snake, keeping as low as she possibly can before sliding down and hiding inside the next dune-pocket, securely out of sight. Success! She will though need to repeat this stunt, several dozen more times with each attempt becoming progressively more and more dangerous.

Her heart is beating so hard from the tension she worries the soldiers will hear it slamming against her chest.


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

Thanks. Yeah the spell duration is unfortunate but I would rather have some tactics than no tactics. Really I am hoping that my Enthrall is the thing that will keep the guards from signaling and also keep us from having to slay any of them to meet our objectives. Of course that will work best if we are successfully stealthing to the very last second.


Hurgah suddenly picks up the pace, leaving Moonpate and Karek in his wake. However, rather than continuing to run ahead, he suddenly dashes off to the side. He then quickly climbs the tallest dune he can find. Using it as a vantage point, he tries to get his bearings.

From the position of the fiery ball of sun overhead, he thinks they are still going the right way, gradually making headway towards the dig site. It is hard to know in the stillness of the desert and once the sun hits its apex in the center of the sky it will be even harder to tell their direction.

He can see the dust cloud left in the wake of his comrades below and behind him. If the assassin is still following them, he will not have any difficulty discerning where they have been. If anything, the assassin might be intimidated by this show of confidence. Clearly he will know that the Reaver has no fear of being tracked.

Hurgah scans the horizon looking for any similar signs of movement atop the dunes. He sees nothing, however, nothing but the infernal shimmers of heat that warp his vision the further out he casts his eyes. He levels a guttural draconic curse and slides down the dune, falling into step ahead of Moonpate and the struggling dwarf.


Halstadt Morgrym wrote:
Thanks. Yeah the spell duration is unfortunate but I would rather have some tactics than no tactics. Really I am hoping that my Enthrall is the thing that will keep the guards from signaling and also keep us from having to slay any of them to meet our objectives. Of course that will work best if we are successfully stealthing to the very last second.

-

Ah! If I follow you then, scrap the readied action idea, as Hal will be uanble to cast enthrall while he is within the radius of silence. I think I better understand then: silence is his plan "B".

-----
The Infiltration team slowly closes to within 150 feet and continues to inch closer still. Shattershield has begun to furrow his brow as he mentally ticks off the passage of the seconds.


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

Yes, that is if things go wrong. If things go right I will be able to Enthrall the guards to prevent the alarm from being sounded which will also preserve my Silence spell in case I need it later in the day.


Female Elf Druid 5 (desert)/Rogue 3 (spy)
Pact Stone GM wrote:
Donkor Sooron wrote:
If it will help, Sooron will spend 3 rounds of his eye in the sky (clairvoyance) to try and get a better angle on the situation, and see if he can attempt to discern a way in that way.

-

It certainly could.

Three rounds of the Eye of Sooron would get you a re-roll on his Intelligence check.

Well if he's doing that, I'm going to slip in this time with an aid another. You know, I should probably be making the actual check and Donkor should be aiding me!

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


Male Human Cleric/8
Xerissa Auraraun wrote:


Well if he's doing that, I'm going to slip in this time with an aid another. You know, I should probably be making the actual check and Donkor should be aiding me!

We probably should have done that last time, but this time since it's my clairvoyance, probably not an option.

Sooron gives up trying to spot their path from the ground, and gets a faraway look in his eyes for approximately 18 seconds. :)

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21: +1 for Intelligence, +2 for Xerissa's aid.


Halstadt Morgrym wrote:
Yes, that is if things go wrong. If things go right I will be able to Enthrall the guards to prevent the alarm from being sounded which will also preserve my Silence spell in case I need it later in the day.

-

Urp! Hopefully you will think I am charitable to raise this now instead of after Hal strides boldly forward, ten feet away from the soldiers, and delivers a stirring lecture on the virtues of Angraad. Enthrall is a language dependent spell. Hal's limited observations so far have been that most of the guards speak Osiriani with little or no knowledge of common. Halstadt, as I understand it, doesn't speak Osiriani. There's a risk the enthrall is going to fail outright. His plan "B" is looking better and better.

The good news is the Infiltration team has now closed to 60 feet away and there is still no sign they have been discovered. It won’t be long until they are within ten. What are Gandel and Breach planning?


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

Ah fair point. Something Hal no doubt would have remember that I overlooked. I guess Silence it is then. If we get to within 10' undetected then I won't need to enchant the bolt I can just cast it outright though I suppose if we close enough to charge, within 30' perhaps we should put the crossbow bolt plan into motion. How many guards are there?


Female Elf Druid 5 (desert)/Rogue 3 (spy)

Xerissa takes a half-step back away from Donkor when he gets his crazy look and fades out for a quarter-minute."What by the gods was that?"

Nice roll. Glad it was you, not me then.


Male Human Cleric/8

In response to Xerissa, "Pharasma grants me the power to see from a point other than my eyes. So I can know all and see all. So be assured...I am watching you." With a little wink and a smile.


Halstadt Morgrym wrote:
Ah fair point. Something Hal no doubt would have remember that I overlooked. I guess Silence it is then. If we get to within 10' undetected then I won't need to enchant the bolt I can just cast it outright though I suppose if we close enough to charge, within 30' perhaps we should put the crossbow bolt plan into motion. How many guards are there?

-

Halstadt still counts six stationary guardsmen.

You are correct, Hal need not cast it on a bolt. If he casts it on a person though, the target will get a save, which is a real risk. The positive is that if the target fails his save and tries to run, the area of effect automatically moves with him.

Conversely, if cast on an object, there is no save. A third option is to just cast it on a point in space. If cast on a point in space, as opposed to an object, there is also no save, but the area of effect cannot be moved, whereas an object like a crossbow bolt can be repositioned. That can be helpful or harmful depending on your situation. So mull the options over and let me know your choice.

The infiltration team has now crept within 30 feet. There is still no indication they have been spotted. Going closer?


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

Hal will signal to Gandel that the time has come. He casts Silence on the crossbow bolt and motions to him to fire it into the midst of the guardsmen. As Gandel fires the bolt Hal and Breach can rush forward to subdue the guardsmen using non-lethal attacks. Assuming Lydia has some sort of spells to disable an opponent she will be outside of the radius of the Silence and cast spells at the foes as can Gandel. This shoud give us at least one free round of attacks where we can (hopefully) subdue one guard each to get the odds in our favor. Let me know if anyone objects!


Male Halfling Bard (Archivist) 6 / Pathfinder Delver 2

I'll do you one better - I'll cast Vanish on myself just before you cast Silence on the bolt, and then invisibly carry the bolt (loaded in my crossbow) into the midst of the guards. That way I can move around with them if necessary (or with the one holding the signal horn at least) and be sure they stay silenced while Hal and Breach attack.

Sound like a plan?


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

Angradd approves of that message Gandel.


"A quick ambush or a another full-on battle?"

On signal, Trapspringer and Morgrym begin casting in earnest. The guards immediately perk up.

Two spells with verbal components at that range, is just to hard to miss, even with your excellent Stealth. Nevertheless, they still manage to get both the spells off pre-initative.

Seeing the guards suddenly looking to and fro with signs of organization, Hal signals the attack. He holds out the crossbow bolt which is quickly snatched up by what the dwarf assumes is the halfling's invisible hand. A split-second later the bolt is gone from sight.

Go ahead and give me an initiative. Everyone is 30 feet from the closest soldier. The good news is only you will be rolling at this point; there will still be a surprise round on account of the ambush. Please also post your intended actions, but recollect that you only get a standard action in the surprise round. If you initiative is sufficiently awesome, you may well get a “double-turn” when round one occurs.


Male Halfling Bard (Archivist) 6 / Pathfinder Delver 2

Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

Invisible (and Silent) Gandel moves into the midst of the guards, standing next to the one nearest the signal horn.


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

Initiative 1d20 ⇒ 13

Hal charges forward to throw a haymaker at one of the guards realizing he does not have time to draw his weapon, at least not yet.


Seeing Hal race forward, the Scarab pops her head up, looking to see how she can help.

Initiative roll for the Mithral Scarab for the surprise round: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

Gah! Why do I keep burning up good rolls on cooperative NPCs! The Scarab will go on delay until after Gandel has moved the zone of silence away from her, in case she needs to cast.


Halstadt Morgrym wrote:
Hal charges forward to throw a haymaker at one of the guards realizing he does not have time to draw his weapon, at least not yet.

-

Good news on this front, maybe: Hal's base attack bonus is high enough that he can draw his great axe as part of his move action during the surprise round. So if he wants it, he can have it. A haymaker is pretty cool though. If he attacks with the flat of his axe, Hal takes a -4 penalty to inflict nonlethal damage. If he makes an unarmed attack, he doesn’t incur the -4 for non-lethal as a fist defaults to nonlethal, but he suffers a -4 penalty for non-proficiency so it’s a bit of a wash either way. There might be a risk the unarmed attack would draw an attack of opportunity, but his target is likely to be flat-footed and unable to take advantage.


Male Human Writer 2/Dreamer 7
Lydia of Sothis wrote:


Gah! Why do I keep burning up good rolls on cooperative NPCs! The Scarab will go on delay until after Gandel has moved the zone of silence away from her, in case she needs to cast.

Do not believe this master of misdirection for even a second. I'm confident "Lydia" here is just waiting to drop some nasty surprise on us, Thalia-style.

Yup, paranoia-level is pretty high by now.


Gandel wrote:
Invisible (and Silent) Gandel moves into the midst of the guards, standing next to the one nearest the signal horn.

-

The bad news here is there are actually three horns. They are small personal horns (hollowed animal bone) carried by three of the six guards. The good news is the radius on the silence is 20 feet so Gandel will have no problem enveloping all three in the 40 foot diameter simply by slipping amongst them. There's also that water drum which could make some decent noise, but that too will fall within the area of effect.


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

Then Hal will draw his axe and use the flat of the blade. This should be loads of fun against guys who will not hesitate to try to kill us...


Initiative roll for Breach: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10


Easy Pickin’s in the South

Initiative Tracker

Surprise Round (Standard action only)

Gandal Trapspringer: 17+

The Mithral Scarab: 17-

Halstadt Morgrym: 13

Breach Shattershield: 10


Gandel wrote:
Invisible (and Silent) Gandel moves into the midst of the guards, standing next to the one nearest the signal horn.

-

This happens! Gandel advances 30 feet and positions himself right in the thick of things. There is no indication anyone has taken note of him - the guards haven't even yet figured out someone turned down the volume nob on their lives.

Gandel will have 3 rounds left on his vanish


“Rhuma-salaxia!" the Scarab whispers. For a moment there is a faint shimmer on the sand and then everything is still once more. Halstadt and Breach can feel a slight vibration in the air around them.
-----
OOC: As a standard action the Scarab creates a protective ward.
It centers on her, conferring a +1 deflection bonus to AC for those close to her. Currently that includes Halstadt and Breach, but they are likely going to run out outside of the ward momentarily. She remains prone.


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

Hal draws his axe and furiously pumps his legs charging across the dunes at the guard post. Identifying a guard with a small horn he targets the poor man for his attack. Using the flat of his axe he attempts to render the man unconscious.

Non lethal attack -4. Charge attack +2. Total modifier for the round +5.

Greataxe attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Greataxe damage 1d12 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13


Halstadt Morgrym wrote:
Then Hal will draw his axe and use the flat of the blade. This should be loads of fun against guys who will not hesitate to try to kill us...

-

Halstadt rises up and races over the last of the dunes towards the soldiers. His footfalls are completely silent, as is his soundless warcry as he charges into the open. Remarkably, not one of the guards has turned around to see the cloaked dwarf waving his giant axe - all six continue facing outwards, looking south.
-----
Hal advances south 20 feet. The closet guard is now within 10 feet to the south. He is now within the zone of silence and outside the Scarabs' protective ward. We've sorta dispensed with the issue of whether there should have been a movement cost for being prone, but we'll just say Gandel, Hal and Breach raised to a crouch before Hal and Gandel began casting their spells.

Breach is up! Which will end the surprise round.


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

Can I keep that last post for round 1?


Looks like we cross-posted there Denis - sorry. Does Hal have a greater Speed than 20? If so, I need to fix. Otherwise, he can't reach during the surprise round and you can just keep this roll for next round (assuming the guards don't beat him on initiative and do something special.)


Female Elf Druid 5 (desert)/Rogue 3 (spy)

Beetle, I don't suppose Donkor's magic sight spots the ambush and we can join in on the initative? Though knocking people out isn't really Xerissa's thing, she's more about burning and exploding.


Male Dwarf Cleric 8

Considering running speed he can move more than 20' but not with a basic move action. Let's leave it as is.


Xerissa Auraraun wrote:
Beetle, I don't suppose Donkor's magic sight spots the ambush and we can join in on the initative? Though knocking people out isn't really Xerissa's thing, she's more about burning and exploding.

-

Ah! Right you are. I'll post as to what knowledge Donkor has. In theory Xerissa could influence this battle, by entering after the surprise round, but you are currently 250 feet away, which is likely to be a major limitation unless this goes on for a while.

Go ahead and roll initiative which I will add in for Round 1 after Breach goes.


Donkor Sooron wrote:
Sooron gives up trying to spot their path from the ground, and gets a faraway look in his eyes for approximately 18 seconds.

-----

When he does so, Donkor spots his allies converging on a stand of guards positioned around a stationary barrel, approximately 250 feet away. It's Gandel, Breach and Hal -- and one other, he doesn't recognize. The guards have not spotted their hidden approach. The Dune Squad appears to be but moments away from unleashing an ambush!


Male Halfling Bard (Archivist) 6 / Pathfinder Delver 2

I'll cry if I get caught in a bomb blast. The dangers of standing invisibly in the midst of a group of enemies...


Male Dwarf Fighter 5/Rogue(Trapsmith) 2
stats:
Hp's: 77; AC 23, T: 12, FF: 18; Perc. +12; Fort: +9; Ref: +8, Will: +7

As he sees Halstadt grab his axe and move towards their targets, Breach mimics his fellow dwarf.

I don't guess it's plausible to draw both axe and shield, is it?

Sorry folks, I just love the Olympics and it's kinda dominated my time. Will try and do better.


Breach Shattershield aka Javell wrote:
I don't guess it's plausible to draw both axe and shield, is it?

-

Normally not, but Breach is special. He has the Two-Weapon Fighting feat and such things come naturally to him. Rock on.


Initiative for the guardsmen: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (7) + 0 = 7

Smells like double-turn all round. . .


Easy Pickin’s in the South

Initiative Tracker

Round 1

Gandal Trapspringer: 17+

The Mithral Scarab: 17-

Halstadt Morgrym: 13

Breach Shattershield: 10

Osiriani Guardsmen: 7

Donkor Sooron ?

Xerissa Auraraun ?


Male Halfling Bard (Archivist) 6 / Pathfinder Delver 2

Invisible silent Gandel delays until after Breach, Hal, and Lydia act, but will act before the guardsmen.


"Cathakania!" the Scarab cries, rising from behind a dune at the edge of the battle. Her eyes are sealed shut in concentration as she focuses completely on marshaling her budding arcane power.

The guard at the far left suddenly finds his head enveloped in a jumbled cloud of pure thoughts. The Scarab throws the Osiriani-prime dictionary, the complete translation of "The 111 tales of Kalkamedes" and Pathfinder Chronicles volumes 1 through 67 at this brain all at once.
-----
Guardsman attempts a Will save vs DC 13 to save against daze: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (5) - 1 = 4 (fails!)

The easternmost guardsman is not capable of taking any actions this round. Wow! how long has it been since you've seen anyone use daze?

3,501 to 3,550 of 6,763 << first < prev | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Pact Stone Pyramid All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.