Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


The_Ninja_DM's Carrion Crown

Game Master Spiral_Ninja

The Trial of the Beast: Schloss Caromarc 1


2,751 to 2,800 of 3,855 << first < prev | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | next > last >>

Female Half-Elf Bard (Archivist) 5/ Pathfinder Chronicler 1 (hp 49/49; AC 18/14/14; 15/15 rounds)

Vertielle shrugged, checking the graves for the telltale sharp edge of shovel marks. Perhaps the presumption the bodies had been stolen by humanoid thieves was indeed premature, but she intended to find out.
Survival: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


DM Ninja/infinite

Posting to restore my x


Half-orc
Normal:
HP: 41/71 AC 16/12/12: F+8, R +4, W +1, Per:-2, Init: +5
Raging:
HP: 53/83 AC 16/12/12: F+10, R +4, W +3, Per:-2, Init: +5
Rage: 5/11

Gkirkhan picks his nose.


DM Ninja/infinite

The locals arrive back at the island and escort all of you back to their village.

Do you intend to stay the night? Any evidence gathered here must be presented to the court before 10 am tomorrow.


Wood looks around at the group:
"An intelligent life is at stake, how about we pull an all-nighter and look around? We need to find this necromancer; and they tend to like the night."


Half-orc
Normal:
HP: 41/71 AC 16/12/12: F+8, R +4, W +1, Per:-2, Init: +5
Raging:
HP: 53/83 AC 16/12/12: F+10, R +4, W +3, Per:-2, Init: +5
Rage: 5/11

"Hyu mean dot vasn't hem?"

Gkirkhan points to the dwarf corpse.


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

"I have to agree, Wood.
In that more evidence needs to be gathered."


DM Ninja/infinite

Evangline Int_check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Gkirkhan Int_check: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (5) - 2 = 3
Rova Int-check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Vertielle Int_check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
WoodInt_check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Zhiden Int_check: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (18) + 0 = 18

DC15:

The events in Morast occured a year ago. There have been no incidents since and no one has used this cemetary in a year.


DM Ninja/infinite

Just a reminder, folks. All new evidence must be submitted to the Clerk of the Court by 10AM of the day of the trial - tomorrow. It's about 9PM now. The trip back to Lepidstadt takes 4 hours and the boatride out here took about a half-hour. None of the locals want to spend the night here, so they'd have to come fetch you in the morning. Since Headman Lazne is heading in tomorrow to testify there may be someone up early enough to fetch you, but you cannot guarantee that unless you pay them up front. What do you want to do?

Also:

Heal_DC15:
The dwarf has been dead only a few weeks. He definately died from an attack by the manticore.

KN_Nature_DC15:
The boat and the objects in it have been here much longer than the dwarf or the manticore, possibly as long as a year.Given the amout of plant cover over the case of surgical instruments, it's been here at least as long as the boat.


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

Heal: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22

"The dwarf's been dead for a few weeks, from a manticore spike piecing him threw the troat."


Know:Nat: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16

After carefully examining the plant growth, Wood points out:"This stuff was here a long time. All this is not relevant to the trial of the aware construct. Let's go back and make sure we are ready to go with the headman to testify at the trail. I think the father figure the construct is protecting is in town somewhere, let us go back to town to pursue this theory. I even suspect this headman as he is the most obvious authority figure around."

The wizard looks around for other ideas, he is obviously feeling the pressure of the looming deadline.


DM Ninja/infinite

Evangline Int_check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Gkirkhan Int_check: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (18) - 2 = 16
Rova Int_check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Vertielle Int_check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Wood Int_check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Zhiden Int_check: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (9) + 0 = 9

Int_DC15:
The beast denied being at this place, cried about the child, and denied knowing anything about the Asylum attack. The only thing he didn't deny was the robbery at the university. The robbery was also the only thing he mentioned 'father' in connection with.

You know it's bad when the character with a minus to the roll makes it and the character with the +5 doesn't.


Male hp 19/36; AC 21/14/19 Level 5 Burglar

Perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30

Zhiden cast his eyes over a wide area, hoping to notice something of interest, preferably something that would recast everything in a new light.

If nothIng was found:
If he found nothing, he would sigh and say, "Yeah, let's head back, there's nothing of use here."

If the search bore fruit:
Zhiden moved to investigate whatever he'd found, careful not to touch or get too close until he knew what he was dealing with. Having undead animate when he touched them had taught Zhiden the value of keeping his hands to himself.


Female Half-Elf Bard (Archivist) 5/ Pathfinder Chronicler 1 (hp 49/49; AC 18/14/14; 15/15 rounds)

I suspect these crimes are unrelated, and that they are being blamed on the beast. He would not curse while engaged with a caiman, and we should check him for the scars of such an attack. He need not use darkvision, and wouldn't know how. We should track the true culprit by the use of these tools, as well as this face we've uncovered.
Vertielle has spent some time collecting various blood samples for a Blood Biography spell, including the caked blood found on the tools.
Let's head back and question the townsfolk, then we can leave tonight and use arcana to further reveal what happened here.


DM Ninja/infinite

Int_DC15:
Imrijka has twice said the Beast's creator is dead. Who was it and who else would the Beast call 'father'?

Evangline Int: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Gkirkhan Int: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (9) - 2 = 7
Rova Int: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
Vertielle Int: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Wood Int: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Zhiden Int: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (2) + 0 = 2

Give me a DC15 Diplomacy check for further info from the locals.


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29


Male hp 19/36; AC 21/14/19 Level 5 Burglar

Diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 10


"Anyone have any injuries recently?" It appears the wizard has managed to keep from being condescending this time.
diplomacy: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (18) - 2 = 16


DM Ninja/infinite

You get much the same information that Headman Lazne has already given you. All give the same basic description of the creature that attacked: a gigantic, grotesque, deformed creature covered in a patchwork of skin, scales, and feathers, covered in fungal boils and hideous pus-filled eruptions. Further all confirm that it cursed quite clearly when the caiman bit it.

What do you do with the skinned face you found?

Spoiler:
If you show it in Morast, the locals recognize it. They identify it as having been Nan Klebum, a poa...er, hunter, who had first reported seeing strangers hanging out at the boneyard.

The trip back is non-eventful.

Let me know what you want to do prior to the trial.


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

"Sounds like a different beast then the one on trial,
I think we should find the real culprit here. "


Female Half-Elf Bard (Archivist) 5/ Pathfinder Chronicler 1 (hp 49/49; AC 18/14/14; 15/15 rounds)

Vertielle hides the skin, not wanting to distress them, but sketches the face as it would have looked.
Yes, it rather does. Where to start? We have no time. Let's head back to Lepidstat and try to track some leads before morning.
Will any knowledge help identify the true culprit from its description?


DM Ninja/infinite

If you find it, yes.

Spoiler:
KN Nature
Did you show the sketch to the locals?


Female Half-Elf Bard (Archivist) 5/ Pathfinder Chronicler 1 (hp 49/49; AC 18/14/14; 15/15 rounds)

Yes.


Male hp 19/36; AC 21/14/19 Level 5 Burglar

"We aren't going to get much sleep tonight are we?" Zhiden asked, a weary look creeping across his face. "So how do we prove that he the beast didn't do this, when all we have is a lack of evidence of its presence?"


Wood is trying to track down the potion of darkvision.

"Whoever used that potion may have bought it here. The village is too small to support an alchemist."

Wood canvases the alchemists.


AC 21b - 11t - 20ff; HP: 44/44; PP: 2/2

Rova thinks washing off the swamp muck before appearing in court would be a really good idea, and so gets to scrubbing himself.

In the morning he lays out his good clothing, gets himself combed and shaven, and makes sure his nose ring is centered nicely...


AC 21b - 11t - 20ff; HP: 44/44; PP: 2/2

"Remember, Beast's innocence isn' wha's needed, they need ta prove he did i', our testamony is ta say it weren' 'im. Only proof dey got is witnesses see'n a big t'ing, which ain't e'en a good description o' da Beast. 'e ain't got feathers, boils, scales 'r none o' dat."

"So, ta review our evidence:

One, Beast don' swear or bleed or talk fancy, all o' which da locals testify 'e did.

Two, da Beast ain' got scales or feathers, or boils fer tha' matter.

T'ree, grave robbin' ain't wha th' Beast is accused o', but it was done, an' prolly by th' real culprit.

Four, Beast ain't know fer slicin' off people's faces an' keepin' 'em in jars.

Five, Beast couldn' even hold one o' dem surgical tools

Six, Beast sees in da dark widout help, an' can't drink a potion anyhoo

AN' seven, We should check 'em fer a scar where dey said dat swamp lizard bit 'em. Don' know iffn t'ings like dat get scars or wha', but iffn it ain't there, it's anudder point.

Anyone else got somethin' I'm forgettin'?"


Wood looks at Rova approvingly:
"You are not just a big, burly empty-headed fighter. I couldn't have summarized it better. I just think catching the culprit should be in our grasp, but is just eluding us."
Wood smacks his left hand with a fisted right hand.
"I would hate to see a conscious creature executed, it would be a loss to scholarly magic, and a horrible injustice."

It is obvious Wood strongly about both point. Which one is more important is not clear.


Male hp 19/36; AC 21/14/19 Level 5 Burglar

Zhiden smiled bitterly. "I think you two have a very romantic view of justice. It's been my experience that people tend to be quick to judge when it comes to things that are different. I don't think we will get a satisfactory judgement without the real culprit."


Female Half-Elf Bard (Archivist) 5/ Pathfinder Chronicler 1 (hp 49/49; AC 18/14/14; 15/15 rounds)

I agree with Zhiden. But, between the extract, surgical tools, and the face, we may have a leg to stand on finding the true villain.


AC 21b - 11t - 20ff; HP: 44/44; PP: 2/2

"I 'ave a feelin' we'll be runnin' inta th' real culpert durin' our investigaterin'."

Rova fingers his giant sword's hilt...

"An' I think we'll be ready fer 'im."


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

"Then let's find the real culprit, before our time runs out."


DM Ninja/infinite

Ok, so, who is going to do stuff tonight, and who is getting some rest before the trial tomorrow?

Quick note on how the trial works: general evidence must be submitted to the court by 10 AM each trial day. There will be three days: 1st: Morast, 2nd: Hergstag, 3rd: Karb Isle Sanctuary (the three capitol crimes he's being charged with). The first day will also review the theft at the University. Once evidence is submitted, you wait in the Defense chamber until called, then present each piece of evidence. Only one PC can present any one particular piece of evidence, but any PC can present more than one piece of evidence. The PC presenting a piece of evidence must make a Diplomacy DC 20 check to convince the court of the validity of that piece of evidence. Only one PC can make the check and only one check can be made for each piece of evidence. Some bits of evidence have bonuses which I will add after the roll is made. (None have minuses.) In order for the Beast to be found innocent, the group must succeed in making 12 DC 20 Diplomacy checks. While no evidence has minuses, you do take the normal minuses for fatigue. Extraordinary evidence: IE catching the real criminal and/or getting him/her to confess can be added at any time, Perry Mason style.

@Vertielle: you do get the info in the spoiler if you show the sketch to the locals.


Female Half-Elf Bard (Archivist) 5/ Pathfinder Chronicler 1 (hp 49/49; AC 18/14/14; 15/15 rounds)

Add an assassinated poacher to the list. They had seen activity around the boneyard, and probably died for voicing it.


Male hp 19/36; AC 21/14/19 Level 5 Burglar

I'm thinking Zhiden will stay up looking for what he can, and then will turn it over to someone else to present, mainly because he has no skill whatsoever in diplomacy.


AC 21b - 11t - 20ff; HP: 44/44; PP: 2/2

Rova gets cleaned up, and a good night's rest; there are going to be a lot of busy nights ahead, so grab sleep when you can...

"'Tween Vertielle an' Eva, shouldn't be much trouble gettin' da court ta listen ta 'r arguments."


Female Half-Elf Bard (Archivist) 5/ Pathfinder Chronicler 1 (hp 49/49; AC 18/14/14; 15/15 rounds)

Let's hope, Vertielle agrees before finding a place to sleep.
Zhiden, if you're staying up, why don't you try and find out where an extract of darkvision could be obtained, or even a set of these surgeon's tools. Shouldn't be too many places, and it'll help us later on I'm sure.


Male hp 19/36; AC 21/14/19 Level 5 Burglar

"All right, that doesn't sound too difficult-well, I suppose it could be, I have no idea how hard this stuff is to find. What do you suggest? Asking around, legitimate business, breaking and entering?" At the last suggestion, Zhiden's voice lowered, and he struck a comical pose. It was clearly a joke, but he might just have meant it.


DM Ninja/infinite

general_info_KN_Local_or Diplomacy_DC_15_#1:
No shops are open currently, the local shop hours are 6 AM to 6 PM. No further info can be gathered until then.

Where_made_KN_Local_or Diplomacy_DC_15_#2:
After hours: 1d4 ⇒ 3: while the skills to make surgical tools are rare, there are 20 such craftsmen in town, due to the university. Allopperate within an area known as Surgeon's Flats.

Who_made_KN_Diplomacy_or_Appraise_DC_20_#3:
After hours: 1d4 ⇒ 1: The Raven symbol on the tools is the mark of Zbraslav Hora and Sons, who have a tiny workshop on Alchemist's Alley

@Gkirkhan:
Imrijka is quite willing to help you not get any sleep. If you're interested.


Half-orc
Normal:
HP: 41/71 AC 16/12/12: F+8, R +4, W +1, Per:-2, Init: +5
Raging:
HP: 53/83 AC 16/12/12: F+10, R +4, W +3, Per:-2, Init: +5
Rage: 5/11

@GM:
Gkirkhan spends most of the night helping her not get any sleep as well.;)


Female Half-Elf Bard (Archivist) 5/ Pathfinder Chronicler 1 (hp 49/49; AC 18/14/14; 15/15 rounds)

KnLocal: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Appraise: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
No where will be open now, but I'm sure it won't take too long to canvas those still awake at bars and such.
She points to the raven symbol on the tools.
This is the symbol of Zbraslav Hora and Sons. They have a shop on Alchemist's Alley. Check the shop ledger... Discreetly.
Vertielle points out that the Carnies they met earlier might know more about the city, perhaps allowing less time to be spent discovering this information.


knlocal: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

"Zhiden, a life is at stake. YOU CAN CUT SOME CORNERS!"


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

"Vertielle is right in that we need discretion on this as we ask around."


Male hp 19/36; AC 21/14/19 Level 5 Burglar

Zhiden couldn't help but stare, wide eyed, for a moment as Wood ordered him to. . .whatever it was that he had meant, theft was certainly implied. "All right, I'll be back before dawn," He finally said.

His first stop was Alchemist's alley, since he didn't know how long it would take to cover the other angle. He kept to the shadows, and approached from above whenever possible. He headed for the store's documents, hoping to find an inventory list and a list of sales.

He hoped to find the items in question on an inventory list (and if he did, he'd help himself to an extract of darkvision, because it might be a useful demonstration during the trial) and to find a customer who had bought both of them. He'd copy down any names he found that included purchases of the surgical kit though.

I figured that it would be easiest to summarize what Zhiden is trying to do, and then you can tell me what to roll.


Female Half-Elf Bard (Archivist) 5/ Pathfinder Chronicler 1 (hp 49/49; AC 18/14/14; 15/15 rounds)

Vertielle reluctantly gets some sleep, knowing that being well rested tomorrow will be of the best help to the group.


Wood follows Zhiden excitedly: "I never done anything illegal, this should be exciting. It is for a good cause. I'll be the lookout and magic you if needed, maybe make you invisible."

Wood rubs his hands together in glee.

"Obviously I am not going to sway anyone by talking. But I can sure help with the boosting."


Male hp 19/36; AC 21/14/19 Level 5 Burglar

Zhiden shrugged, "It's not as enjoyable as you would think. The excitement doesn't come until afterward, and until then you are nearly paralyzed with fear of getting caught."[b] It wasn't a lie, not really, because Zhiden wanted to believe it. And to be fair, the fear of getting caught really was a constant, and powerful concern, and the rush of getting away with it was unmatched. He had, however, snuck into too many places where he stood to lose more than gain to actually believe the claims that he'd made. [b]"I wouldn't want anyone else to risk getting in trouble, but I certainly wouldn't mind being invisible."


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

"Then shall we get to work..."


DM Ninja/infinite

Zhiden Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19

Zhiden manages to find the place and check through its records. Unfortunately, they're not much help. That set was sold to a Vladka Kostel, but there's no further information on the purchase.


DM Ninja/infinite

Zhiden: Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15

Further checking of the records indicates multiple purchases of many items by this same individual both before and after that item.

Evangline Int: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Gkirkhan Int: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (18) - 2 = 16
Rova Int: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Vertielle Int: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Wood Int: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Zhiden Int: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (14) + 0 = 14

Int_DC_15:
This person is probably a buyer for a reseller.

OK, the dice monster hates Int checks.

Also, it's now about 5 AM.

2,751 to 2,800 of 3,855 << first < prev | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The_Ninja_DM's Carrion Crown All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.