Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

The_Ninja_DM's Carrion Crown

Game Master Spiral_Ninja

The Trial of the Beast: Gatehouse labled


2,601 to 2,650 of 3,795 << first < prev | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | next > last >>

Half-orc
Normal:
HP: 41/71 AC 16/12/12: F+8, R +4, W +1, Per:-2, Init: +5
Raging:
HP: 53/83 AC 16/12/12: F+10, R +4, W +3, Per:-2, Init: +5
Rage: 6/11

"Nebermind, if et iz about tinkink, den Hy don't have a clue."


DM Ninja/infinite

Upon asking for Barrister Kapel, the group is directed to the Defense Chamber (room 21 on the courthouse map).

He is an impressive-looking man, who looks up as you enter. "Yes? How can I help you? I am rather busy - and if it's about my client, I am required, both by law and my own honor, to defend even the guilty to the best of my ability. Someone must d-d-defend him, everyone -even m-m-m-monsters- d-d-deserves that much."

The stuttering seems to be due to nervousness. Not really a good quality in a lawyer.


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

"WOW, he's as nervous as a chicken in a fox's den"

"Actually we're here to give you a hand."


DM Ninja/infinite

"G-g-give me a hand? Are you trained in the law or in investigation, then? I can't pay you much, but, w-well, I'll take all the help I can g-get."

He pauses, trying to control himself. "I guess you need some information. Here's what we have to work with. The Beast was taken as it tried to escape from the Lepidstadt University after breaking in and stealing an old artifact known as the Seasage Effigy. It may have destroyed it, as the creature was berserkly smashing the place up when it was apprehended. it's being tried on four charges: the burglary, the murder of 10 citizens of the village of Morat a year ago, the slaying of 6 chldren in the farming community of Hergstag 7 months ago , and the arson attack on the Karb Isle Sancutary 4 months ago that resulted in the deaths of Dr. Brada and all of his patients and the blinding of his assistant, Karl."

He takes a deep breath and continues. "I have already interviewed the witnesses and the Beast will be convicted without some type of exulpatory evidence. Perhaps you c-c-can unc-c-cover more information? I'd also like to ask if you would like to h-h-help me pr-p-present-t-t evidence in court? My - c-c-condition - makes situations like this d-d-dificult-t-t.

He pauses again, and regains some degree of control. "The laws governing the court are standard. There will be three judges, and a majority, not unanimity, is required to either convict ot acquit. All evidence must be presented to the court by 10 am each day for review by both sides in the trial. Only one person may present any specific piece of evidence. Useage of magic is forbidden in the court, whether in the form of spells or magic items. The courtroom is overseen by a cleric, either from Abadar or Pharasma's churches, who constantly maintains 'Detect Magic' for just such an occurance. Though, for this trial the church of Pharasma has sent an Inquisitor to back up Abadar's cleric. The trial has already begun, and the preliminaries are out of the way. Tomorrow will be the Morast case, the day after, the children of hergstag and the thrd day the Karb Isle incident. I can provide you with the necessary documents to allow you to examine the witnesses and look for more evidence."


Female Half-Elf Bard (Archivist) 5/ Pathfinder Chronicler 1 (hp 49/49; AC 18/14/14; 15/15 rounds)

Vertielle blanches.
TOMORROW?!


Half-orc
Normal:
HP: 41/71 AC 16/12/12: F+8, R +4, W +1, Per:-2, Init: +5
Raging:
HP: 53/83 AC 16/12/12: F+10, R +4, W +3, Per:-2, Init: +5
Rage: 6/11

"Gotterdammerung. Hy tink Hy vould vant to fight de ghosty tinks again."

Gkirkhan grimaces at the thought of hours of searching for anything that might be of use.

"Hyu vouldn't haff eny vhiskey or dwarven stout? Hy tink Hy em goink to vant to be drunk for dis."


Male hp 19/36; AC 21/14/19 Level 5 Burglar

Zhiden balked at what he was told, two other charges, both of them involving murder? Had he not been paying attention, or had that been mentioned. "Whoa, hang on a minute, I know I didn't hear anythng about those middle two, I think I'm going to have to hear more about them."[/b] He turned to the others and added, "Was I not paying attention or were those new to you too?"


AC 21b - 11t - 20ff; HP: 44/44; PP: 2/2

"Alls I heard was 'e was 'on trial', never said fer w'at. I kinda assumed it was fer bein' a monster. Folks 'round 'ere are like dat."

Rova seems to be speaking from personal experience on that one..


"Give us the documents, we better get started. You better give us ALL the documents, not just the ones you think we'll need. Heck, I'd better go with you and help get them together."

Wood has no trust in the man's ability to even know what documents are pertinent to each case.


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

"Looks like we have to get going to Morast, and find the truth."


Half-orc
Normal:
HP: 41/71 AC 16/12/12: F+8, R +4, W +1, Per:-2, Init: +5
Raging:
HP: 53/83 AC 16/12/12: F+10, R +4, W +3, Per:-2, Init: +5
Rage: 6/11

Perception DC 15:
Stealth: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

Gkirkhan quietly slips out of the office and to the closest tavern.


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

she sees Gkirkhan trying to slink away
"And Gkirkhan, we have work to do so no sneaking away and drinking."


Half-orc
Normal:
HP: 41/71 AC 16/12/12: F+8, R +4, W +1, Per:-2, Init: +5
Raging:
HP: 53/83 AC 16/12/12: F+10, R +4, W +3, Per:-2, Init: +5
Rage: 6/11

Should I even try to bluff my way out of this one?
Bluff: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

"Vot? Hyu vound me Eva. Hy vas just goink to see if dere vas enytink dot de schmott guy ve first met could tell us."

Gkirkhan's strong suit is not lying and it shows.

Why do I picture this ending with Eva dragging Gkirkhan by his feet to the back of the building?


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

"Nice try Gkirkhan, or do I need to tell your momma you lied a lady to go drinking when on job with her."


Half-orc
Normal:
HP: 41/71 AC 16/12/12: F+8, R +4, W +1, Per:-2, Init: +5
Raging:
HP: 53/83 AC 16/12/12: F+10, R +4, W +3, Per:-2, Init: +5
Rage: 6/11

"If Hy run avay, hyu are goink to drag me back here by my hair, aren't hyu?"


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

she smiling as she is speaking
"No, I won't drag you back by your hair."

after a few moments
"I'll be dragging you back by the ears."
Even though she's smiling, I think Gkirkhan is picking up a powerful aura/look from her, not to cheese her off and go into a pub/bar/tavern/etc.


Female Half-Elf Bard (Archivist) 5/ Pathfinder Chronicler 1 (hp 49/49; AC 18/14/14; 15/15 rounds)

Vertielle snickers through the exchange, but uses her significant skill with papers and language to help wood determine what's significant for the first charge.

Actually, Gkirkhan, why don't you take Zhiden and find us either a few horses or a carriage out to Morast this afternoon. It MUST be this afternoon, use whatever... means... necessary to procure such transport.

Vertielle knows Gkirkhan won't be any good looking over papers, but the large half-orc and sneaky halfling should be able to navigate the metropolitan streets with much more panache than the tall, shapely cleric and ungainly wizard.


Half-orc
Normal:
HP: 41/71 AC 16/12/12: F+8, R +4, W +1, Per:-2, Init: +5
Raging:
HP: 53/83 AC 16/12/12: F+10, R +4, W +3, Per:-2, Init: +5
Rage: 6/11

"Yipe!"

Gkirkhan looks to see if the door is closed, but Vertielle's interjection brings a goofy smile to the large Half-orc.

"Ov course, dear Vertielle. If hyu vish it, Hy vill haff the royal carriage pro-porci- Hy vill get de royal carriage for hyu."

Gkirkhan gives the half-elf a low sweeping bow that has his hat off and brushing the floor as her brings it to his chest.

"Vell Zhiden, ve haff not got all day!"

Original Action:
Will Save to avoid something stupid. DC 15 1d20 ⇒ 6 Here we go.

"Hokay. Hokay. Hy vas just tryink to help by stayink out ov de vay."

Gkirkhan takes off his armored jacket and bolts for the door.

"Sorry sveethearts! Hy HATE readink borink schtoff! Catch me if hyu ken!"


Wood looks through the records of the lawyer. Looking up and seeing Vertielle, Wood smiles, "Glad you are here. I was going to summon an earth elemental to carry this. Hopefully you can help carry the important files."


Male hp 19/36; AC 21/14/19 Level 5 Burglar

Zhiden watched the Half-Orc as he walked ahead for a while before he finally spoke. "So, is Vertielle like that to everyone, or does she just have something against Halflings?" He wondered if it was such a good idea to ask Gkirkhan a question like this, since he might not exercise discretion as much as Zhidenmight hope for.


DM Ninja/infinite

"Morast is a hamlet about 8 miles east of here. You will want to speak to the village headman, Lazne. he's the witness for the prosecution. it's a backwards place, mostly filled with fishermen, blood caimen hunters, and poachers. They're not the types who would just make up stories like that, so see what you can find."

Meanwhile, as Gkirkhan and his team head toward the exit from the courthouse, they run into a female half-orc in red Pharasmin inquisitors robes.

She blinks, then smiles at Gkirkhan. (sorry, I'm bad at accents.) "Hello. Never see you here before. My name Imrijka. Welcome. Can I help you?"


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

lol, nice

Eva will talk with Lazne about the beast and it's trial

diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32


After Gkirkan flirts with the locals, Wood will pack up for the 8 mile trip. "C'mon, you can make eyes at the pretty ladies later."


DM Ninja/infinite

Barrister Kaple continues "Headman Lazne is still in Morast. I beleive that that Half-orc Inquisitor is supposed to go out there tomorrow and escort him here. No one bothers her."


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

and what of my Diplomacy check above?


DM Ninja/infinite

Headman Lazne is quite happy and flattered to fill you in on his encounter with that murderous monster.

Lazne is a grizzled, middle-aged man with dirty hair and skin the color of swamp mud. He punctuates his sentences by spitting weed-juice onto the ground. While at first he rants a bit about 'city-folk and 'furriners' he seems quite taken with Eva.

"We thought th' thing was dead til I got called ta witness in th' case. Sure I remember th' entire thing. At first he took just lone folk out at night but then it got bolder an started attacking houses. So I organized th' town an we set a trap."

He pauses to spit again, dangerously close to Gkirkhan's feet.

"We was waiting with torches an when it came inta town we attacked an drove it inta th swamp. 'twas a huge hulking brute about 7' tall. It took ta water but we kept after it. We caught it again in the village boneyard when a huge blood caiman rose up from the swamp an grabbed onto the beast. It started cussing worse than all the whores in Lepidstadt. The caiman tore a huge gash in the brute's shoulder, then dragged it under. Last we saw or heard of it til I got called fer th trial."

He spits again. "Hope they make the thing pay this time."


Female Half-Elf Bard (Archivist) 5/ Pathfinder Chronicler 1 (hp 49/49; AC 18/14/14; 15/15 rounds)

So you've seen the beast on trial and confirmed it is indeed the monster that terrorized your town?

We just time-lapsed to Morast? I'm uncomfortable with that. I'd rather play each moment than a montage.


DM Ninja/infinite

@Vertielle: I agree. I was just honoring Eva's fantastic roll. By all means play out the build-up and getting there.

Does anyone want to meet the Beast first?


Half-orc
Normal:
HP: 41/71 AC 16/12/12: F+8, R +4, W +1, Per:-2, Init: +5
Raging:
HP: 53/83 AC 16/12/12: F+10, R +4, W +3, Per:-2, Init: +5
Rage: 6/11

Vow dot iz a nice gorl, und a nice hat.

Putting on his best manners, Gkirkhan gives the lovely Imrijka one of his best bows, if not quite as sweeping as before.

"Guten Tag, mein lady.My Namen Gkirkhan, und wenn ich so ein schönes Geschöpf war bekannt als sich über war, kann ich Ihnen versichern, dass ich hier gewesen, sehen Sie viele Male. Ich bin ein wenig peinlich zu fragen, aber wo könnte ich in der Lage sein, um Pferde oder einen Wagen zu Morast zu finden? Wir haben dringende Geschäfte gibt, und meine Begleiter möchte dort sein, an diesem Nachmittag, wenn möglich."

Orc:
"Good day, my lady.My name is Gkirkhan, and if I had known such a beautiful creature as yourself was about, I assure you that I would have been here to see you many times. I am a little embarrassed to ask, but where might I be able to find horses or a carriage to Morast? We have urgent business there, and my companions would like to be there this afternoon, if possible."

Oh boy, time to turn up the charm :D


Male hp 19/36; AC 21/14/19 Level 5 Burglar

Yeah, I thought Gkirkhan and Zhiden were heading to get horses for the trip, hence the unanswered question. Either way is fine with me, I'd just like to know which way we are going.


Half-orc
Normal:
HP: 41/71 AC 16/12/12: F+8, R +4, W +1, Per:-2, Init: +5
Raging:
HP: 53/83 AC 16/12/12: F+10, R +4, W +3, Per:-2, Init: +5
Rage: 6/11

Oops sorry about that. This happens before meeting with Imrijka.

Gkirkhan thinks for a moment before shrugging his shoulders and saying.

"Hy dunno? Is et a bad tink to call a halfling a, vot vas et? A 'slip?'"


Male hp 19/36; AC 21/14/19 Level 5 Burglar

It's no problem.

Zhiden couldn't fault the large man for not knowing, he seemed to be from around here, or at least, far from Cheliax. "In Cheliax, they tend to keep Halfling slaves. It's so commonplace that they have a specific term for Halfling slaves: Slips. From what I've seen, she knows what it means, and that I don't much care for the term, but that doesn't stop her.


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

@ Lazne
"Thank you for you time, Would it be alright to check the village boneyard for further evidence?"

Eva would have met with the beast, and talked with it a bit.


DM Ninja/infinite

The Beast is chained to a chair in the largest cell (A14) seeming rather subdued and peaceful for a monster.

Give me a Diplomacy check.


DM Ninja/infinite

"There is good stable on Sweepers Lane. Fair, not cheat on race. I, too, must go to Morast. Help reconsecrate Boneyard. Bring witness for big trial. Lots of free time after."


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28


DM Ninja/infinite

The Beast is willing to speak to you. His speach is halting and childish but he seems to feel you might be a friend. What do you want to ask him?

Also anyone there to speak to him, give me Perception checks.

He seems both intelligent and self-aware. Just unschooled.


Female Half-Elf Bard (Archivist) 5/ Pathfinder Chronicler 1 (hp 49/49; AC 18/14/14; 15/15 rounds)

Vertielle makes several sketches and quizzes the beast on Morast.
How good a swimmer are you? What do you eat? Where do you sleep? Why do you chew on townsfolk, etc.
Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

She asks him about the crimes and asks him what he remembers to have done.


Half-orc
Normal:
HP: 41/71 AC 16/12/12: F+8, R +4, W +1, Per:-2, Init: +5
Raging:
HP: 53/83 AC 16/12/12: F+10, R +4, W +3, Per:-2, Init: +5
Rage: 6/11
The_Ninja_DM wrote:

"There is good stable on Sweepers Lane. Fair, not cheat on race. I, too, must go to Morast. Help reconsecrate Boneyard. Bring witness for big trial. Lots of free time after."

"Mehbe ve ken haff a drink or three then. Tank hyu for de suggestion. Mehbe hyu vould like to ride vit us?"


Male hp 19/36; AC 21/14/19 Level 5 Burglar

Zhiden decided that if the conversation was to be interrupted by this stranger, he might as well learn something useful from it. ' What draws an Inquisitor to Morast?" He asked, almost certain that the answer would involve a certain golem.


The wizard seems upset at seeing the 'innocence' of the construct.

Can't they see what they are doing. Best to have the creature tell a narrative rather than confuse it with questions.

Wood patiently speaks to the creature:"We are here to help you. Please tell us what happened the day you were captured. Please tell the whole story leaving nothing out, no matter what. Start with the morning."

PER: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


DM Ninja/infinite

@Zhiden: "Beast attack village. Locals chase to Boneyard, attack, injure, Beast bleed, draw blood caiman, blood caiman attack Beast, Beast bleed into Boneyard. Locals want cleanse before use again. After, am to escort headman witness to trial. Can travel with others, not problem."

@Wood: the creature looks confused. "Morning? I in swamp home. Then I in large room, packed with stuff. I angry. Not like be there. Smash things to find way out. People come, attack, but not their fault. Try not break people. People not understand, lock me here. Why? Not hurt people this time. Want go home!"


Female Half-Elf Bard (Archivist) 5/ Pathfinder Chronicler 1 (hp 49/49; AC 18/14/14; 15/15 rounds)

Hmm. Might be that it's cortex was damaged, causing temporary loss of reasoning capability. Often happens in complex decision processes, though the condition is generally permanent.
Vertielle seems quite versed in golem lore, but notedly hostile towards the concept.


Female Assimar (with Ulfen blood) Cleric(Theologian) 4 / Monk(Spirit Master) 2

"Vertielle, please be more considerate.
He appear to have a soul and is a person, and is not an object."

she asks the beast
"Where is Home?"

she thinks
"He does not like to hurt people,
so he does not have the heart to kill, which is good."


Half-orc
Normal:
HP: 41/71 AC 16/12/12: F+8, R +4, W +1, Per:-2, Init: +5
Raging:
HP: 53/83 AC 16/12/12: F+10, R +4, W +3, Per:-2, Init: +5
Rage: 6/11

"Vell den, do hyu mind goink a bit early? Ve vas plannink on leavink dis afternoon."

Gkirkhan goes to the stable Imrika suggested, whether she comes or not. Although he's much more polite if she does.

---Just before meeting Imrika---

Zhiden Enack wrote:
Zhiden couldn't fault the large man for not knowing, he seemed to be from around here, or at least, far from Cheliax. "In Cheliax, they tend to keep Halfling slaves. It's so commonplace that they have a specific term for Halfling slaves: Slips. From what I've seen, she knows what it means, and that I don't much care for the term, but that doesn't stop her.

Gkirkhan looks troubled, despite all appearances to the contrary he does have a sense of compassion.

"Hy vill talk to her."


DM Ninja/infinite

The Beast "Swamp. Nice hut. Keep safe from humans, keep humans safe. Can loose control, hurt without knowing. Leave humans alone, humans leave me alone."

@Gkirkhan: Imrijka "Should not be problem. Easier to reconsecrate before have to be back for trial anyway. I get stuff, meet you at stable."


Female Half-Elf Bard (Archivist) 5/ Pathfinder Chronicler 1 (hp 49/49; AC 18/14/14; 15/15 rounds)

That's gonna be a curious conversation.
Vertielle ignores Eva's comment, recording what the beast says about his hut.
She sighs at his simple responses.
This process would be more efficient were we to employ magic such as Share Memory, but it'd only work if he was a real creature.


"How did you get from the swamp hut to the large, locked room?"


Male hp 19/36; AC 21/14/19 Level 5 Burglar

First timeline

Zhiden looked surprised, he hadn't expected that, not because he figured that Gkrirkhan wouldn't care, but because it was Zhiden's experience that people tended to defend their friends before they listened to the accusations of another. "Uh, thanks. I appreciate that." He said, the disbelief in his voice.

Talking to the Lady Inquisitor
"I hope you didn't already explain this, but why does the boneyard need to be reconsecrated? Zhiden wondered if he'd committed a major faux pas in asking, perhaps the answer was typically understood, and he was presenting himself as an ignorant fool for not knowing already.[/ooc]

Questioning the Beast
"Maybe he is a 'real creature'. What do you have to lose by trying it? Zhiden said, irritation apparent in his voice. He turned to the beast, his tone softening as he spoke to it, "Do you know why they blocked you in?

2,601 to 2,650 of 3,795 << first < prev | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The_Ninja_DM's Carrion Crown All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.