Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

The Mansion in the Mists (Inactive)

Game Master Matt, Garnished Game Designer

A dungeon crawl campaign designed to teach new players the basic rules of Pathfinder.


1 to 50 of 106 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male

"Greetings adventurers, my name is Ken Devendell. You're all here in Crow's Hook because of my wanted poster I imagine? Very well then, I guess you do deserve some more explanations. What's that? How much are we getting paid? Well that depends on how far you make it my friend."

"A long time ago, I lived in a glorious mansion up in the mountains. No longer. A foul curse fell upon my home one day as I was abroad and upon returning found my home to be impenetrable and cursed with foul monsters. So in short, my plight and quest is the following:

I require the aid of adventurers such as yourself to delve deep into my ancestral home and see to finding the cause and full extent of this curse. While the mansion itself is quite immense, I reason that the job is sufficiently done if the first few floors are covered."

"You are free to take as much time as needed, Crow's Hook has plenty of supplies to sell."

"But first, I'd like to hear about yourself. Some of you don't seem to know each other very much yet either."


Female Dwarf Paladin of Torag 1

A dwarven woman in gleaming armour steps forward from the assembled adventurers, treasure hunters and mercenaries. Her hair is long, blonde, and braided, held away from her face with a scarf tied round her head.

"You have me right at least, Mr Devendell. I'm here because I saw your call for assistance. The name's Gerthi Stensikker, please to meet you all." She bows, briefly, once to the host, and once more to the group. "I'm not here for money, nor fame, but because I believe that we make the world a better place when we help each other, when any of us can live in peace without having to fear our homes being robbed or our loved one being threatened. And if it takes a few swings of me hammer to achieve this, so be it!"

Her brief speech made, the woman returns to her place, and takes a drink from her water skin.

cross-posting link to the recruitment thread


Female Human Witch/1

A tiny voice from the back is heard next, "My... my name is Sara."

"I'm in need of some coin to find... to find my mother."

The raven on her shoulder caws, it's eyes scanning the room. "It's okay Snow. We'll be joining mother again, real soon. Thank you for your consideration Mr. Devendell." The raven let's out another caw, and all is silent once more.


Male Human Rogue (Knife master)

Amidst muffled grunts, tuts and huffs a young wiry man gently elbows his way to the front of the assembled crowd. He pushes a strand of hair behind his ear, returning it to the rest of the mop which covers his head. With a hint of nervousnous, he smooths down his scuffed leather gilet as he begins to talk.

"Yeah... yes. I'm in as well." He straightens himself, trying to seem more confident. "We'll soon cut these creatures from your home. Like Gerthi said so eloquently, I'm more than happy to volunteer to make the world a safer place. Of course, there are likely to be some small expenses which will need to be met, but I'm sure that will be no problem."

He adds, quickly at the end "I'm Jacques."

Visibly relaxing after finishing speaking he eases to the side of the crowd and leans against the wall.


Female Human Cleric of Iomedae 1

A tall, slim human woman with long black hair secured in a ponytail makes her way to the front of the group next. Her large green eyes scan the gathered adventurers as she speaks.

“My name is Sakina,” she says. “As a servant of the goddess Iomedae, I am happy to aid you in your plight, Mr. Devendell.”

After finishing her introduction, the woman returns to her previous position.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1

"I'm Senjak Telva. I too am happy to aid you in what ways I can," says the half-elf.

Senjak is young looking and slim, but muscular. His long braided hair is black. His eyes are amber with violet flecks. His clothes and studded leather armor are all colored in earth tones, mostly greens and browns and are well made even though they are plain. His large cloak is a deep forest green. He wears a rapier at his right hip whose hilt guard resembles the leaves and branches of a tree. On his left hip is a thin straight dagger that matches his sword. He has a quiver and a longbow slung over his shoulder.


Male Human Druid 1

A young man steps out from the crowd of gathered adventurers, looking around the gathered group to get a feel for everyone. He clears his throat and begins rather nervously.

"My name is Lorin, Lorin Trennt... I would be happy to help out. I am just looking to help make the lives of the people in this town better as much as I can."

Looking around after introducing himself, he goes back to his place.


Male

Just waiting on Lorasaadi and then we're good to go.

Andoran

Female Half-Orc Monk Of Folgrit 4 Fighter 2

A woman dressed in a red crimson monk robes with a red mask and hood walked in.

She seems reserved.

I am Lorasaadi. You may call me The Shepherd.

she turned to a secluded corner of the room and walked there sub-consciously touching the side of her mask.


Male

"Well you certainly seem competent... unlike the others... I suggest you buy any supplies you still need before leaving though. When you're all ready just follow the small mountain trail up the mountain and in about an hour you'll reach my former home's front gate... that's where the troubles start."


Female Human Witch/1

Sara glances around at others' expressions at the mention of the "others", but says nothing. She rises slowly, hoping to blend in with her fellow adventurers as the leave.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1

"Does anyone need to get supplies? If not we can head out," Senjak says.

Andoran

Female Half-Orc Monk Of Folgrit 4 Fighter 2

Lorasaadi shook her head and fall in beside Senjak.

Let's do this sooner than later, got to get back to my monastery. Have a new batch of orphans to integrate.


Male Human Rogue (Knife master)

Jacques notices Sara's reticence.

Don't worry Cabbage. Between the dwarf's hammer and Senjak's bow I don't think we'll have much trouble. Besides, I've got a few tricks of my own.

He gives a brotherly smile and ruffles Sara's hair.

I've got everything I need. The sooner we get this spring cleaning started the better.


Female Dwarf Paladin of Torag 1

"I always travel prepared, so no need on my part to resupply."

Gerthi slings her shield over her shoulder and makes ready to depart. She scans the group, making a note of names and faces. With a slight shrug she walks purposefully over to Senjak and The Shepherd.

"You have the look of a bit of orc blood in you. Don't worry, I've lived here on the surface a good while, and I've learned there's no place for a grudge in our society. If you don't mind me asking, where do you get the name 'Shepherd' from? You don't have the look of a watcher of sheep."


Female Human Witch/1

Is noticibly annoyed by being touched, but remains silent why she ponders how she could possibly be a cabbage. Snow flies out the door the next time it is opened.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1

"I say we move out in twos. First Gerthi and me, next Sakina and Lorin, next Sara and Lorasaadi, and finally Jaques. Does this sound alright with everyone?" Senjak says.


Female Human Witch/1

Offers a nod to Senjak before falling in with the Shepherd.


Female Human Cleric of Iomedae 1

"That's fine with me," Sakina says before walking over to where Lorin is standing.


Male Human Druid 1

"That is fine. Shall we go now?" Lorin says as Sakina moves to his side.

Andoran

Female Half-Orc Monk Of Folgrit 4 Fighter 2

Upon hearing that Gerthi said the word orc-blood, Lorasaadi tensed up. Do not worry, i have no grudge against your kind in fact i owe my life to your kind. I was raised by the dwarven monks of Folgrit; the deity for mothers and children. If it was not for them, i would have been fed to the wolves.

I am a freedom fighter of Andoran, i fight against all forms of tyranny and slavery. They called me the Shepherd because I free them and the children are my sheeps..

Well met Gerthi Stensikker, you are friend. Said Lorasaadi as she pat Gerthi on her shoulder.

Shepherd observed the rest of the party curious if this is a true hearted bunch whom she can call friends.

Sense motive: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (3) + 0 = 3


Male

"If you'll be ready to leave then so am I. I will accompany you... though my services are less combat oriented, I do have knowledge of the mansion and of course, access to the numerous treasure vaults within. Here, as a token of my goodwill."

You all receive a potion of cure light wounds.

===

As you follow the mountain trail, you notice a thick, chilling fog has descended. After almost an hour march, you arrive at a large thick steel grate.

"And here lies the beginning of our troubles... I have yet to find a way to climb over the metal fence... nor unlock this gate."

If anyone has Disable Device they can attempt to pick the lock. Strong characters can attempt sunder checks on the lock. Characters can perhaps try using spells or alchemical items as well.


Male Human Rogue (Knife master)

Mind if I take a look?

Jacques steps forwards, casting his eye over the gate before settling on the floor in front of the lock.

I guess a perception check to look for traps or anything else untoward?
Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

When I was a kid and I got bored in the butcher's shop my dad used to send me to help our neighbour. He was a clockmaker. You wouldn't believe how fiddly those things are...

Disable device 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9


Female Dwarf Paladin of Torag 1

Awesome rolling!

"Shall I give it a bit of the old Dwarven delicate hand?"

I'll use a full round action which is auto-hit.
Damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
We have started so well!

Andoran

Female Half-Orc Monk Of Folgrit 4 Fighter 2

Lorasaadi emerges from behind Gerthi and swirls her quaterstaff over her head and brings down 2 consecutive hits on the lock.

Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Hope I am doing this correctly. Full round action is auto hit? I am using 2 handed weapons flurry of blows to attack twice


Female Human Witch/1

Laying her hand on Lorasaadi, she casts Guidance.

You now gain a +1 bonus on your next attack roll vs. the gate.

Maybe you should try again?

Andoran

Female Half-Orc Monk Of Folgrit 4 Fighter 2

Thank you witch. Lorasaadi seems to be hesitating when Sara Lay her hands on her.

I know Senjak paired us together but before I accept I hope you answer me truly. I have heard that witches eat children by boiling them in their cauldron..is it true?

Lorasaadi clenched her fist tightly around her quaterstaff when she asked the question.


Female Human Witch/1

A shocked look crosses her face her blue eyes flickering black for a moment before responding:

I'm but a child myself... and I own no cauldron.

Taking a step back, as she hears the familiar caw of Snow, located on a branch above The Shepherd.

Andoran

Female Half-Orc Monk Of Folgrit 4 Fighter 2

Lorasaadi looked at Sara trying to determine if she is telling the truth.

sense motive: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (7) + 0 = 7


Male

The lock still holds fast.

A full attack action is not an automatic hit in battle.

Andoran

Female Half-Orc Monk Of Folgrit 4 Fighter 2

Lorasaadi looked at Sara and cannot help but see her as a young child similar to those at her monastery. She felt compelled to believe Sara and wanted to ensure her safety.

Well I bet those rumors are untrue roo, that's why they are called rumors I guess" "You are friend too..."

Sensing invisible forces guiding her quaterstaff she twirl the quaterstaff and felt the acceleration before she strike at the gates again.

Attack roll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Roll to confirm critical hit: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

Attack roll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

damage roll if hit: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

damage roll if hit: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

I hope I am doing this correct, do advise.


Female Human Witch/1

This gate sure does seem strong

Casts detect magic on the gate


Male
Sara Andruze wrote:

This gate sure does seem strong

Casts detect magic on the gate

The gate radiates no aura... but the mansion has an overwhelming aura of universal magic.


Male Human Rogue (Knife master)

Maybe now our masked friend has loosened the lock I can get somewhere...

Ok this is getting embarrassing. What sort of adventurers are we that get stopped by a simple gate!

Disable device (I assume I can try again?) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27


Male

The gate's lock breaks open, and the gate swings inward with a deafening creaking sound.

Moments later, silence.

The mansion's front doors can be seen ahead while a sprawling garden goes off to either side.


Female Human Witch/1

Snow flies up several hundred feet in the air and begins to circle overhead...

Perception Check to see anything out of the ordinary with the garden

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

There seems to be a lot of magic coming from the mansion. Be careful everyone!


"Everyone be on their toes," Senjak says as he unslings his bow and readies an arrow.

Andoran

Female Half-Orc Monk Of Folgrit 4 Fighter 2

Lorasaadi nods and falls in beside Sara.

Do not worry witch, my staff and rod is with you.

Perception check: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25


Male
Lorasaadi The Shepherd wrote:

Lorasaadi nods and falls in beside Sara.

Do not worry witch, my staff and rod is with you.

Perception check: 1d20+9

Lorasaadi:
For a brief second, it looked like a face was peering out at you from a third story window.

As for everyone else, which way do you wish to continue? Around the house or straight through the front door?

Andoran

Female Half-Orc Monk Of Folgrit 4 Fighter 2

By Folgrit's Hammer, I do not like this place. I swear I saw someone looking at me from the 3rd storey. Lorasaadi hissed.

I think we should
check if there is a backdoor since someone is expecting is us


Male Human Rogue (Knife master)

Jacques calls out from the back of the group, talking over his shoulder as he peers out into the fog.

Good, hopefully they will be able to tell us what is going on.

Back door or front door is fine by me. I don't think we're taking anyone by surprise with the racket we made at the gate.


Male Human Druid 1

Lorin looks to Lorasaadi, unsure of what she is saying, but after thinking for a while he says:

"I agree with the Shepherd. I don't know about whether what she says is true... but if there is someone expecting us we should be careful about just walking in the front door."


Male

I'll wait to hear everyone's decision


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1

"I think we should make a trip around the outside and then decide where to enter from,"Senjak says.


Female Human Witch/1

thinking out loud

with seven of us, we could cover more ground if we split up...


Female Human Cleric of Iomedae 1

"I don't we should split up, but taking a look around the outside sounds like a good idea." Sakina replied.


Female Dwarf Paladin of Torag 1

"Definitely let's scout the exterior of the place, and keep an eye out for traps and any other unpleasant surprises!"

Gerthi scans the outside of the building, looking for clues as to who or what might be within.

can we get a little bit more description, like whether the building is fortified, has windows, any features of the grounds around, if we can peek inside somehow...?


Male

The Mansion, though mostly hidden within the clinging mists, rises to a stupendous height. By counting the windows, it seems that the mansion must at least possess eight floors and that's not including some parapets and towers you can barely make out within the mist.

The grounds around the castle are closed within a huge metal fence. Decorated with trees, tall grasses, dead flowers and more mist, the ambiance is far from cheerful.

Though not fortified, the windows seem to have metal grates on the inside.

Perception 15:
You see a faint plume of smoke rise from a western chimney.

If you roll a 15 or more in your next post on Perception you may read the spoiler.

Andoran

Female Half-Orc Monk Of Folgrit 4 Fighter 2

I am used to fighting in the mist when we ambush slavers caravans in the plains of Andoran. Allow me to see if I can make out any details.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

Can I share with the rest?


Female Dwarf Paladin of Torag 1

perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Suddenly Gerthi points up at the western side of the mansion. "Look! Is that smoke rising from that chimney? It's hard to tell through the mist, but it looks like it to me."

1 to 50 of 106 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Mansion in the Mists Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.