Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

The Legacy of Marianasu - DM Downrightamazed

Game Master downrightamazed

The great captain Korius Merit, of the Paladine of Izmir, summons a group of warriors of the air to retrieve twelve evil artifacts; the legendary Abominations of the long-dead archmage Marianasu.


2,951 to 3,000 of 3,728 << first < prev | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | next > last >>

Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Perception 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25

He gives the children a hard but saddened look as they prostrate themselves before him, that was until he pulls each of them to his feet. Cutting off their begging as he swats each of them on the behind with his hand. "Quit your begging! No more sniveling either, i'm not summoning $%&*!" He waves them off to the side as he continuesover to the three laying on the floor.

Diplomacy 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

As his magic washes over each of the wounded children he gives the others a baleful glare. "This is no longer acceptable! No more hurting your brothers and sisters! NO MORE! Or I swear I will tan your hides and shave each of you with my black blade." Once the three were on their feet and equally silenced like the rest he gave each of them a glare. "I don't know what COWARDLY $%^& you lot are confusing me with but I will tell you this. From now on when we say jump you say. 'How High?!' When I tell you to clean something YOU BETTER DO IT! Or I will tan your rump so hard you won't be able to remember the last time you sat down. No more begging, no more sniveling and not another word about the GODHEAD, not ONE! Oh and as for these, put them over there...." He looks at the crude weapons scattered around and orders the kids to pile them up in a corner. If they don't do so he takes the weapons, pile them himself and swats the behinds of any child that was trying to hide a weapon purposefully.

3x CLW used to heal children 3d8 + 15 ⇒ (3, 5, 6) + 15 = 29
1x Thunderin Drums on their crude weapons - Sonic Damage 5d8 ⇒ (8, 5, 5, 1, 2) = 21

If he gets this far ;):

Once they were piled up he looks at each child and speaks, low and hard. "You best be watching I Won't do this again..."

With a roar of outrage he turns and slams his foot into the ground, the floor shakes with the power he unleashes and the objects that had been piled on the floor are caught in the sonic blast and shatter into dozens of unusable pieces. The wall behind where they are piled looks as if it had been hammered by a dozen sledgehammers but it surprisingly doesn't break against teh onslaught of Min's magic...

He turns and looks at them, one hand starting to glow, and the unusable pieces of metal start to scurry out of the room as if being swept away by an unseen hand. "Now get in line its time you got cleaned up..."

Sorry for the long post, won't be able to post for awhile, heading to the doc with my Wife. have a good one guys!


Female Sylph Magus (Staff Magus & Cabalist) / 9| HP 72/72 AC 23*or more*, T 14, Flat 18- F+9 R+8 W+9 Init +4; Senses: Darkvision 60ft; Per +9(+11))

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

The magus' mouth drops open in shock for a brief moment as the children all seem to almost go insane with fear at the sight of Min. Having no idea as to the cause of it, she simply stares in wonder as they scurry to obey him even more than they had done for her. Internally though, she sighs in some relief. While seeing them so frighted was still horrible, at least she wasn't the one having to terrify them for the moment.

Making the children who Min had healed as the ones she will take with them, Aylaeth continues cleaning the children and the room, while also watching Min do his thing. She keeps a scowl on her face for appearances, and she arches an eyebrow at the Half-Elf's display of sonic force. 'Interesting. I had not known that he could do that!'

Whenever Min is finished and she as cleaned everything as well as she can, she points to the chosen three and says "You, you and you, come here, NOW.". As the three reluctantly make their way over, she takes out one of her silk ropes and securely, but not painfully, binds the there of them together at their wrists, leaving plenty of room for them to move comfortably. She binds them so that they do not run and scatter in panic after the teleportation, but out loud she says "When we arrive where we are going, to fool the others, you must appear to be my prisoners. No harm will come to you if you remain quiet and do everything exactly as we say. You others! You will remain here until one of us returns to get you. You will obey the commands of those who work for us as if they were our own! Is that understood!!"

Then looking to Min she nods and says quietly "It is time to go" and leaves the room, leading the three children on the rope and making sure the Warbanians secure the door behind them.

Walking back to where Damian holds forth, still holding tightly onto the rope, she kneels down in front of the children and speaks as quietly and gently as she can. As she begins speaking, tears begin to gather in her eyes and flow down her cheeks "Children. Please forgive me for my earlier harsh treatment of you. It broke my heart to yell at you and scare you as I did. I do not expect you to understand, or even believe all that I am about to tell you, but please listen. Everything I, and this man here, Min, told you before was a lie, a trick. I had to do so in front of all you children so that you did not panic or attack me and hurt yourselves. I am not the devil you saw earlier, that was an illusion. My companions and I slew that devil, and the other one as well I believe. The two priests who have treated you so terribly have fled from us in fear. We are the Skyknights, and this man here is our leader, Captain Damian Lamorak. Children, you three are the first lucky ones to be freed! Look around you! All of the soldiers and followers of Kaloroth have been slain or have fled! You are free, Children! For perhaps the first time in your lives, you are free! The life of constant pain and torment you have known your whole lives is no more! I know everything I am saying to you must sound like some horrible trick, but I swear it is all true, and you shall soon see for yourselves! I am going to keep these bindings on your wrists for a little longer though, for your own protection. For we are going to take you to a new place, where you will have new lives, free from Kalaroth and his horrible followers and any and all who have hurt you so much in the past. But this new place may be strange and scary to you at first, so I have put this rope on you so you do not run away or hurt yourselves. I promise you that you nothing and no one will hurt you anymore."

As she finishes speaking, little Ada'an flutters off of her head and says "All my master says is true little ones! I am an Angel. I am the exact opposite of those foul creatures who have tormented you for so long. I am unable to tell a lie. You are in the very best of hands now and all will be well." then he flutters to land on each of their heads for a while, allowing them to feel the glorious goodness of his angelic aura. As he flies back to his masters head, she leans forward and, if they let her, gives each of the children a tender hug and a kiss on the forehead.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Ada'an Aid: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Finally, standing, she nods to Min and Damian and says "Sir, I believe we are ready to go. Here is the wand, Mai will be able to make good use of it. Fare well Captian, and by Abadar's blessing we shall all be together again soon." and she clasps arms with her leader in a soldiers grip.

She then gathers Min and the children and, making sure all are touching, unrolls the scroll of Greater Teleport. Keeping an image of the Gazeebo in the Quad clearly in mind, she invokes the powerful magic of the spell.

Oh! And before going to see the children, Aylaeth had put the paintings in her haversack and helped him if he needed gathering all the loot.


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Min takes the magical blades with them if he is able, knowing they will come in useful for trade and gaining aid.


@Min and @Aylaeth: At this point the young orcs and kobolds and everything else are so confused that they'll do pretty much whatever you say; first devils, and cells and evil elven priests, now kisses and angels? Two of the more weak-willed ones just faint.

The three you selected go meekly along, waiting to see what kind of fate awaits them, Aylaeth's sugared words notwithstanding. After gathering what supplies they want to take, Min and Aylaeth and the three children activate their teleportation magic...

...and are stopped in an endless black void. You can breathe normally, but you can't walk or run or anything like that; if you try, you just walk in place. There are disgusting slobbering sounds, and one of the children screams. Above you, two hideous gray-black creatures are lunging at you, they are covered in what looks like a slimy chitinous shell and clacking their giant mandibles together hungrily. Each one is roughly the size of a bull elephant.

DC25 K(Planes) to know where you are:
You are stuck in limbo, the place between places. Gravity here is subjective so in order to move you must cast Fly (or similar), OR spend a swift action to focus on which direction you want to go, and how far you want to go. It should be possible to teleport out of here.

DC22 K(Planes) to know about these creatures - separate roll!:
These are Ethereal Slayers. They camp out in limbo or other planes where teleporting and/or plane shifting creatures often pass through and devour the passersby, using their magic to stop them and hold them so they can attack. They don't have much magic or special defenses, but they are strong and fast and ruthless. They have 10' of reach.

DC17 Perception:
Oh yeah, THIS is what they warned you about in Izmir.

Initiative rolls:
Slayers: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
Min: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Aylaeth: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Round 1, Initiative 29
Slayer 1:
SA: Ranged Touch attack vs. Aylaeth: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (15) + 15 = 30
MA: fly to a point 10' away from Aylaeth
Slayer 2:
SA: Ranged Touch attack vs. Min: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31
MA: fly to a point 10' away from Min

The two creatures speak in some guttural arcane tongue, waving their claws and mandibles about, and suddenly each one shoots a green ray of light out of its eyes at Min and Aylaeth, hitting each of you. Curiously, though, the rays seem not to do any damage. The creatures float in menacingly, stopping out of reach, ready to attack.

Slayer Stats:
AC:24/14/20 HP:110
Saves: F/R/W - 12/14/8

@Min is up!


@Mai and @Livain: On the return trip you again have that unshakable feeling of being watched, but can see nothing to back it up, so you continue. Upon arrival, Captain Lamorak is waiting for you. "Good. You're back. Aylaeth and Min left a little while ago, I had them teleport to Stormfare. They should hopefully be back soon. What did you find in Maho?"


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

"Captain, we saw Kalaroth priests and some people were openly wearing the sigil of the red dragonflight. We didn't see anything that resembled a standing army, but the people seemed to be coexisting with the dragonflight well enough. Not sure if that means Maho is neutral, allied with red dragonflight, or just doesn't have the power to force them out, but at the very least its not looking good. If this city is like this...what other cities have they infiltrated?

We also spotted humanoid shapes in the jungle, but were unable to confirm if they were the escaped soldiers or not."


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Perception 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

With no knowledge of the planes, much to his dismay, Min chuckles when the creatures rays don't harm him in the slightest. "My turn bast@#$s!" He brushed his hand over the magical quiver and smirked as a dove feathered arrow was pushed into his had. Say good night... He nocked it in one smooth motion and...

SA: Attack with Avenaada - Using Tier 2 Sleep Arrow 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (20) + 14 = 34
Confirm? 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (18) + 14 = 32

Damage +Critical bonus 3d8 + 24 ⇒ (8, 4, 1) + 24 = 37

At this range the arrow slammed into the nearest creature and he smiled broadly, watching the creature slump to the floor of... something... Fast asleep. He'd injured it badly with his first shot but the after effects were always nice. "Hey Aylaeth... You think this is what they were talking about back in Izmir? Gt a clue what the hell these are?" Seeing that the final child had fainted he chuckles. "Well at least they won't run off... eh... Where in the hell are we?"

??? - Will save DC17 to beat - Fail~1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13


Female Sylph Magus (Staff Magus & Cabalist) / 9| HP 72/72 AC 23*or more*, T 14, Flat 18- F+9 R+8 W+9 Init +4; Senses: Darkvision 60ft; Per +9(+11))

Damn it! I knew it I knew it I knew it! Remind me why I had her use the scroll instead of the wand?

Knowledge(plains): 1d20 + 16 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 16 + 2 = 31
Knowledge(plains): 1d20 + 16 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 16 + 2 = 25
Perception: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 9 + 2 = 21
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 20 + 2 = 36 -to identify the green rays of light
Knowlege(arcana): 1d20 + 21 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 21 + 2 = 36 -to identify the green rays of light

Ada'an Aid
Knowledge(plains): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Knowledge(plains): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Knowlege(arcana): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

"Abadar preserve us!" the oath escapes the magus at the sight of the hideous creatures. 'Damn it! I should've known better! I should have been better prepared!' she thinks furiously to herself. Yet the battle trained warrior feels no fear for herself, only concern for the safety of her charges.

The magus then thinks quickly to her familiar 'Ada'an! What did they say?' as she prepares her attack, knowing that with his angelic Truespeech he could understand any tongue.

Out loud she answers Min "These are the Etheral Slayers we were warned about! We're stuck in Limbo! I'm a fool for not preparing for this! We should be able to move by thinking of the direction we wish to go. But be careful Min, these are no easy foes!" knowing the seriousness of their situation, especially the challange of getting out of where they were, the Sylph does not share the fearless Dragon Rider's mirth.

Just waiting for results of knowledge, spellcraft and truespeech before making final decision on what to do. Also, did the sleep arrow work on the Slayer?


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Damian frowns at the scouting report, though his basic assumptions temper the disappointment of losing a potential ally. "It is not entirely unexpected. The Red Dragonflight has many allies, and more still flock to join them as they seem to grow in power. Hopefully our actions in defense of Izmir and the other free cities will stem the rush of weaker nations in joining them. Na-Calanon and General Merit will know soon of the Red Dragonflight's plans for these vile places when Aylaeth and Min arrive in Stormfare, and we will share the status of Maho when they return for us."

Damian strokes the unshaven stubble that covers his face. He is usually meticulous in his appearance, but the length of their mission and lack of the supplies in Keythan's saddle bags prevent him from shaving. "In the meantime, please try to help explain the possibility of hope to the children. I know that you both can connect with them kn a way that I cannot. Also, every hour or so, I need you both to scout for any attempt to reclaim this location. Fly out over the jungle and circle the volcano. If you see any enemy, return to report it and we will be prepared to repel them together."


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

Maiathreen nods slowly trying to hide his discomfort at having to deal with the children. He was far to aware of the trials those children must have endured. He just hoped they weren't to far gone, he thinks with an unconscious glance at Servais sheathed at his hip.


Female Silastrix Archer 11 - HP 93 AC 24, T 16, Flat 18 - F+7 R+8 W+ 4 Init +8; Senses: Darkvision Low-Light Vision)

She gives a courteous smile in hopes of concealing a whirlwind of emotions. Images of the painting surface in her mind at the sight of each of their faces. She takes a step closer to her husband. In hopes of consoling the children she tells them her life's story.

"Everything I've just told you all is to let you know we know the pain you've been through and that your not alone anymore. We are here now and no one is going to hurt you anymore. No priests or devils NOTHING."

She hopes that by telling them the horrors that she and Maiathreen had endured that they would see them as kindred spirits. That they will not injure them or let injury come to them. Despite the rising memories of the painting she feels the tears flowing down her face as she thinks about what these children had gone through. It mattered not that they were kobold, orc, and gnoll. To her they were just children, children who had seen much more than they ever should have.

She feels Maiathreen's strong hand grip her own as he stands with her as he always has and always will.


Aylaeth:
[ooc]The green rays were castings of Dimensional Anchor. You and Min are both now stuck in Limbo for the duration of that spell, at a minimum. There is no way for you to know exactly how long. As for truespeech, All Ada'an can tell you is they were doing some kind of magic, they weren't speaking to each other or to you at all.


@Aylaeth and @Min: Min's sleep arrow sticks solidly into the Slayer's side, eliciting a screech of pain before it falls asleep, apparently succumbing to the strange herbal concoction the Enhathladi put in their sleep arrows.


Female Sylph Magus (Staff Magus & Cabalist) / 9| HP 72/72 AC 23*or more*, T 14, Flat 18- F+9 R+8 W+9 Init +4; Senses: Darkvision 60ft; Per +9(+11))

Breathing an internal sigh of relief as the potent Enhathladi mixture causes the creature to fall asleep, the Sylph magus quickly weighs her options and decides to try a different tactic.

Willing herself forward a few feet, she makes sure none of her party would be in line-of-sight danger and then unwraps as much of the painting as she can, making sure it is facing the Etheral Slayer the whole time.

Just to remind, she had taken one painting with her, the most powerful one.


@Aylaeth and @Min:

DM roll:
1d20 ⇒ 12

The ethereal slayer looks at its sleeping companion, then looks at the painting. It seems equally annoyed by both. Then, as its hideous beady eyes take in the canvas, it lets out a shriek and vanishes.

Out of turn-based combat. Act as you will.


@Mai and @Livain: One of the children, a gnoll pup, eyes you flintily. "What are you?" it says, seemingly with honest curiosity. "The great ones told us the elves were to be honored and feared, but you also have wings. Are you...gods?"


@Captain Lamorak: You hear a hissing noise, and a rumble comes from the "rune room".


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Min looks at the downed creature, giving it a passive sniff and nocks another arrow. "So what did they hit us with?" Once Aylaeth explains he shakes his head. "Well between my arrows and that... painting. We can at least make a stand here until what they did wears off. Lets hope there somewhere we can hide because those three won't last long out here." Min scanned the strange environment around them looking for anyplace to head to or hide, while simultaneously looking for foes. He was quite uncomfortable with this plane of existences...

Very Uncomfortable...

Take 20 (Which 20+10= 30) on perception checks to see if there is anything notable in the area we can head towards. A land mass, ruin, anything we can hide out in until we can travel.


Female Sylph Magus (Staff Magus & Cabalist) / 9| HP 72/72 AC 23*or more*, T 14, Flat 18- F+9 R+8 W+9 Init +4; Senses: Darkvision 60ft; Per +9(+11))

After very carefully re-wrapping the painting, Aylaeth, checks in with the children to make sure they are ok. Trying to gently dispel their fears, ending with "...See, I told you. We shall protect you and make sure nothing ever harms you again."

When Min speaks to her she looks up in slight annoyance and quickly evokes a cantrip before whispering to his ears alone "They can still hear you know! They are terrified enough without filling their poor little heads with more fears."

Picking up again the silk rope binding them, and allowing it to play out behind her, she practices willing herself forward and moves to examine the sleeping slayer, searching it for anything of value or interest and learning as much about it as she can. As she works she asks Min through the whisper "Do you see anything?"

Aloco taking 20 for 29


What does "Aloco" mean?


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

Its a type of fried plantain(sweet dessert banana) originating from Africa...
But I'm guessing Aylaeth meant to say also.


Female Sylph Magus (Staff Magus & Cabalist) / 9| HP 72/72 AC 23*or more*, T 14, Flat 18- F+9 R+8 W+9 Init +4; Senses: Darkvision 60ft; Per +9(+11))

lol! Yup, Mai gets the prize for decoding my typo ; ) Although some friend sweet desert banana sounds quite Yum right about now...


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Min looked at Aylaeth raising an eyebrow at her continued sugarcoating, when she he started in on him again he began to draw the line. It was becoming obvious that, unlike Damian, he didn't command respect from anyone easily and he didn't care at this point. When he spoke his voice never wavered, despite how she continued to do what she wanted. "I'm not going to pretend and these kids deserve respect, not more lies. Children need firmness and we've done nothing but confuse them. Now. We need to find shelter so lets quit talking and move."

As Aylaeth searched the sleeping creature, the kids and Min looked at the rolling chaos of the plane around them, it was then that even he couldn't help but acknowledge the beauty of the place. Despite how deadly it most likely was and they were way too exposed...

Still taking 20 to search, I understand it'll take awhile. lol


Female Sylph Magus (Staff Magus & Cabalist) / 9| HP 72/72 AC 23*or more*, T 14, Flat 18- F+9 R+8 W+9 Init +4; Senses: Darkvision 60ft; Per +9(+11))

Aylaeth looks up at Min's response, an eyebrow arching in surprise at his tone. For a moment her annoyance wars with her sense of duty and discipline, but the later easily wins the contest and she again replies through the message cantrip "Sir, yes sir! I was merely stating my opinion that, as confused and terrified as they already are, the children do not need to be exposed to words to the effect that they are likely to die out here. I do not see how not telling them such things is lying to them. Especially about things they have little to no faculty to comprehend. However it shall be as you say sir, and if you have determined somewhere for us to go sir, then we shall of course do so immediately."

And sparing another sympathetic glance to the children, she again looks down to the Slayer and continues with her work.


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Perception 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25
Profession: Soldier 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 25

Damian hears the strange sound and is on his feet in a flash, sword at the ready. The Warbanians follow his lead quickly and very efficiently. He looks over to where the pair of winged elves have taken the children, but makes no attempt to speak to them. They are close enough that he can call out to them for assistance should he need it. He motions for the others to follow him silently, a task made difficult by their heavy armor. The mercenaries are professionals, though, and seem to perk up at the possibility of violence. He heads to the runic engine of this terrible place, trying to get a good sense of the tactical situation inside - if there is one.


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

I hadn't mean't for him to sound commanding, he was merely keeping his voice normal and trying to avoid sounding annoyed. But too late now...

Min frowns at Aylaeths back as her response was the opposite of what he had hoped. "When I see something you'll be first to know..." He looks to the kids and motions for them to stay close as he speaks. "No matter what happens you stay close to us, if you stay near me I can protect you from harm." He looks to Aylaeth and nods firmly at her as well again at her back as she searched the creature. "That goes for you as well, I'm a bodyguard after all and protect you four will be a lot easier then a dragon." He left out the part of how they couldn't lose their Magus... Not here.


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13
DM Downrightamazed wrote:
@Mai and @Livain: One of the children, a gnoll pup, eyes you flintily. "What are you?" it says, seemingly with honest curiosity. "The great ones told us the elves were to be honored and feared, but you also have wings. Are you...gods?"

Sense Motive:1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14....well I was hoping to see if there was any malice or hidden maleaning in the question.

"We are silastrix, creatures descended from both elves and dragons and no we are not gods. We are just as mortal as you I promise. Now, who are the "great ones?" Maiathreen says in response to the young gnolls questions.


@Mai and @Livain: The pup looks back up at Mai. "Sill-az-tricks?" it says inquisitively, mangling the pronunciation. It starts to speak again, but is cut off by an orcling. "The great ones ar-"

"Quiet, fool! You know what happens if you say their name! This could be them right here, seeking to catch you disobeying them and punish you!" The tiny orc child eyes you balefully.


@Sir Damian: Peering into the rune room, you see a large dragon and several feral-looking gorilla-ish creatures. All have skin like volcanic stone and visible veins glowing orange with fire and molten rock. The heat in the room is unbearable and washes out of the door in fiery waves. The Warbanians grit their teeth and stand their ground behind you. There is a very large hole in the floor, the creation of which was probably the source of the rumbling sound you heard, and all these creatures are jettisoning enormous amounts of lava onto the ceiling and floor, igniting and melting the rock into slag, which they are then separating and sending through the walls. At their current rate, you expect it's only a matter of minutes before this entire room has been erased.

1d20 + 22 ⇒ (10) + 22 = 32

The dragon shifts its bulk to block your view of the elementals, then snakes its head around so it can look in your direction with one eye. You hear its voice, aged and sad and filled with malice, fill your mind telepathically.

::I know you're there, human. All of you. Leave this place, it is not safe for you here. The Red Dragonflight will return and they will destroy you, or you will be destroyed when I fight them off once and for all. We need to remove this room; erase it. You should not be here. Were this any other day, I would have already destroyed you, but I know what you did, so I will let you stay for now. I cannot stop the elementals from attacking you, though, so you must get out of sight and stay there.::


@Min and @Aylaeth: There is nothing about the ethereal slayer that can be determined without risking waking it up, and it clearly has no treasure or treasures on it; in short, you realize quickly that there is more to be risked than gained by investigating the thing.

At first, you see nothing around you because Limbo is nothing; it is the place between places, the glue that binds the planes, the thin layer of interdimensional substrata all must cross when venturing from one place to another via any kind of teleportation spell, planar shift, or similar. You cannot determine distance because there is nothing to which you can compare your current position. There is no wind, no land, no stars, no sky...nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

However, as you adjust your senses over the course of the next couple minutes you realize that there are, actually, things happening. There are tiny sounds whose proximity you cannot guess, for starters; sliding noises and odd tearing sounds. You hear screams and roars but they may as well be on another continent they are so distant. Then you start to see the faintest of twinklings, like stars, but much more brief. There is a flash, then nothing. A flash, then nothing. You realize after some study that what you are seeing is other groups of teleporters; people and beings crossing the planes as you were before you were waylaid, and some of these get waylaid as well; far away, just at the very limit of your vision, a portal opens and four people come through and are immediately set upon by a dozen ethereal slayers. They are crushed and devoured instantly, the roar of the slayers matched in volume only by the screaming of their victims.

You realize that these two slayers that sought to consume you were but a pittance. Waiting in the dark of limbo, tucked into their own pocket dimensions within the space, are thousands upon thousands of these things. A new question forms in your minds;

How long can you remain undetected?


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Min stared at each flash, unflinching at the screams that follow as the Slayers swarmed. Even his resolve was fleeting at the thought of such a horde coming down on them, he could protect some from there claws but not all of them...

He felt a metallic taste in his mouth, as the thought occured to him. What if he had tried to summon Lin... would he have dropped her into these things clutches? Ambushed and alone? What is causing this? Why are they here and now? Swarming like locusts?

"Aylaeth, I know nothing of this place or these things. Now do you know why they would be swarming so? What attracts these things? Perhaps we can help some of these people, between you, that painting and myself we can drive some of these things off..." He turned his gaze back to the unending void of chaos, desperately searching for a place to make their stand and found...

Nothing.

Nowhere to hide, they were exposed and floating in a boiling sea of chaos. Merely waiting for something to glance and see them, and all they had were they're weapons, a magical painting and three children who were useless in combat. And yet the flashes continued, here and there, all ending the same way. No high ground...

Perception - To spot a group that appears close enough for them to aid. 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12


@Min and @Aylaeth: Though his eyes are sharp, the Slayers are too quick and they and their victims too far away for Min to spot anything useful.

Then again, even if the Tuathan scout could see another stranded party, it is impossible to predict where a new 'porting portal will open, and by the time one is spotted, the battle is inevitably over and the victims and victors alike are gone from view.

DC18 Perception, any of you (yes, even ada'an):
You recall it being mentioned that while this "swarming" phenomenon has been observed and discussed in multiple places and among multiple people back on the material plane (you first heard about it from Captain Harrix, you seem to recall), no one currently knows why it's happening.


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Perception 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

Min silently cursed the strangeness of the planes compared to their home plane and could do nothing more but watch as each of the lights appeared before fading as the Slayers swarmed their prey. He took stock of his arrows and silently calculated in his head how many he'd have to use on each slayer. All of which was a rough guess... Ten arrows per foe... Minimum of fifteen of these slayers before I run out, not including if they are fire proof... Damn.

Min stares at their downed opponent and his grip tightens on the lifebow, he swore not to kill a helpless opponent. Not with Avenaada at least, but anytime now that creature would wake up and unleash hell on them...


Male Human Battle Herald 11
DM Downrightamazed wrote:

@Sir Damian: Peering into the rune room, you see a large dragon and several feral-looking gorilla-ish creatures. All have skin like volcanic stone and visible veins glowing orange with fire and molten rock. The heat in the room is unbearable and washes out of the door in fiery waves. The Warbanians grit their teeth and stand their ground behind you. There is a very large hole in the floor, the creation of which was probably the source of the rumbling sound you heard, and all these creatures are jettisoning enormous amounts of lava onto the ceiling and floor, igniting and melting the rock into slag, which they are then separating and sending through the walls. At their current rate, you expect it's only a matter of minutes before this entire room has been erased.

1d20+22

The dragon shifts its bulk to block your view of the elementals, then snakes its head around so it can look in your direction with one eye. You hear its voice, aged and sad and filled with malice, fill your mind telepathically.

::I know you're there, human. All of you. Leave this place, it is not safe for you here. The Red Dragonflight will return and they will destroy you, or you will be destroyed when I fight them off once and for all. We need to remove this room; erase it. You should not be here. Were this any other day, I would have already destroyed you, but I know what you did, so I will let you stay for now. I cannot stop the elementals from attacking you, though, so you must get out of sight and stay there.::

Diplomacy 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (20) + 16 = 36

Damian responds in his mind, focusing his thoughts to return a message back to the sender. His magical armor keeps most of the heat from bothering him, allowing him to stand firm while responding. He motions for the Warbanians to step back so that only he remains. 'Great dragon, we are of little consequence compared to your majesty. We are humbled to have been of service to you in our vanquishing of the Red Dragonflight from this place. We share your concern for what they have done here, and seek to prevent them from using their dark tools for whatever ill purpose they seek. The great dragons who protect our homelands - Van-Seletharius in their case, Na-Calanon in mine, and Van-Galazzan and Na-Selene in the lands of our allies - demonstrate the magnificence of humans and dragons working together.' He takes a few steps back while bowing to drop out of sight humbly.


Female Sylph Magus (Staff Magus & Cabalist) / 9| HP 72/72 AC 23*or more*, T 14, Flat 18- F+9 R+8 W+9 Init +4; Senses: Darkvision 60ft; Per +9(+11))

Had a long post on my cell that got ate, grrr. But anyway, Corerue, I get where Min was coming from, but I think it's normal that allies, even friends, will on occasion, especially under stressful situations, misunderstand and snap at each other. So i'm cool to just roll with things as they are. Makes for a bit of RP spice anyway ; )

spoiler Perception DC18: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 9 + 2 = 25

Perception (for determining when/where next teleport might occur. Or an Int roll??): 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 9 + 2 = 25

Ada'an Aid
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Quickly determining that the Slayer had nothing of value on it and that in fact even trying to check on it more would only increase the risk of waking it up, she makes a difficult decision. Knowing the creature to be a ravenous terror that could not be reasoned with, she calls out to the children to look away and then, grabbing it by it's mandibles with her gloved hands, she snaps the creatures neck.

Getting up from her grisly work she picks the painting back up and moves to a position where she and Min can keep the children guarded between them. As she looks all around, her excellent mind spins to try and answers Min's questions and discover a way out of their dilemma. Meanwhile out loud she says "Please forgive my earlier sharpness Sir...Min. I was caught up by several emotions and I should not have spoken to you so, for I know well you do not deserve it. As for our situation, we are currently dimensionally anchored, which means that even if we had teleportation magic, we could not use it for several more minutes at least. As for the Slayers...I am not yet sure. Many have now become aware of the phenomenon of their 'swarming' in Limbo, but to my knowledge, none as yet have determined why. I swear to you though that between Ada'an and I we will figure out a way to get us all safely home."

With the painting under one arm and her quarterstaff in the other, the magus sets her fine and well trained mind to the task of getting them all home, her angelic familiar also working hard to help her.

DRA, what all rolls could she possibly make to figure a way out? Perhaps better I roll in the OOC?


Female Silastrix Archer 11 - HP 93 AC 24, T 16, Flat 18 - F+7 R+8 W+ 4 Init +8; Senses: Darkvision Low-Light Vision)

Livain’s eyes sadden, quilting them with softness like a mother’s gaze upon her wounded child. She takes in a deep breath and releases it slowly. “Child, If I only had wished to harm you then I would have spared the time of rescuing you and just executed the foul deed. I am not one for wasting time, therefore I did not save you only to betray you.” She lifts up a sleeve and reveals seasoned scars and grotesque branding. “If I were a great one, would I have suffered these?” She pauses for another moment and a soft smile sprouts from her lips. “No, dear child I would not have suffered these marks. I believe I am quite sympathetic to your plight for it was mine as well.”
diplomacy 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19


@Aylaeth:
After consulting with Ada'an and concentrating on every last bit of Arcane lore you can think of, a few possibilities occur to you. The first is that since a Dimensional Anchor spell was cast on you, if you can simply wait it out, you can teleport again to your destination. Limbo, acting as a waypoint, does not require you to plane shift in and out unless you are attempting to reach a very specific part of it. The downside to this plan is it requires you to wait, which may not be safe, and when you teleport it is completely possible Ethereal Slayers will follow you out.

The second possibility is you could move through the void until you find a Marker. By all reports of the great Conjurers of the Land, there are tiny clumps of land in Limbo that allow anyone lost or stuck to find their way out. Unfortunately, you don't recall there being any clear instructions as to how to find these things, and you certainly don't see one around you at the moment.

The third possibility is to simply be ready for another group to 'port through and "ride along" with them to their destination. You and Min both noted that not ALL travelers were attacked, so it's more than possible this could work. The obvious downside is it requires an enormous amount of luck and split-second timing, and you don't know where you'd end up.


@Sir Damian: The dragon rumbles low in its throat. ::you are well-spoken, human; a better ambassador than many that have been sent before me. I will tell you this also; the dwarves here are dying. A disease is taking them in great numbers. This place should be teeming with miners, but only its very lowest and very highest levels are occupied, and then by a mere skeleton crew. It is dangerous for you here. If your mind is strong, you can take the dwarven door through the Everywhen back to your homeland, to be quit of this place more quickly. But you must be strong, or you will lose part of your mind in the halls that are fixed and immovable in time. Down the halls is a room with paintings under a tarp. You must not look at the paintings for they are dangerous to any thinking thing. But in that room, by the mark of its maker, Beltz Wellrock, is a dwarven door. If you can open it, and if you are strong, it could take you home, or at least to the nearest structure that has a similar door.::


@Livain: The gnoll pup gives the orcling a dirty look and reaches one clawed hand out towards your bare arm, hovering over the scars. "D-does it hurt? Did it hurt? Can I touch it?"


@Min:
You still see nothing, but you are beginning to get the hang of how sight works in Limbo; the darkness is enveloping and requires either an action to pierce it, or very close proximity. In other words, you won't see a thing that is still until you are nearly on top of it, or if it moves in some drastic way, like drawing a weapon or starting to cast a spell or similar.

The ramifications of this are pretty clear; if you stay still, the odds are very good you can wait out whatever magic was cast on you, and without too much fear of the Ethereal Slayers. Alternately, if you start moving, you could stumble on something -- land, maybe, or perhaps a portal of some kind -- that just simply isn't visible now because it's still.


Female Silastrix Archer 11 - HP 93 AC 24, T 16, Flat 18 - F+7 R+8 W+ 4 Init +8; Senses: Darkvision Low-Light Vision)

She gives a small nod along with a sad look. "It did hurt when I was given these marks, but the pain has been gone now for man many years. It is only the memories that haunt me now." She extends her arm out closer to the gnoll pup. "Yes you may touch them."


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

Maiathreen watches watches worriedly as Livain allows the gnoll to feel her scars and tattoos.


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Min nodded at Aylaeth's apology. "There's no need for apologies, we will speak frankly and keep it to a minimal. First we need that Slayer[/i down. Second if we remain still we might avoid detection long enough for this anchoring to wear off, but if there is someplace to go or a gateway nearby we won't know unless we [i]move towards it. It would be advantageous to try and find a quicker way out but we will be giving up stealth in doing so. I saw we stay on the move, one of those things escaped and this one needs to die... Also, I have complete faith in your abilities Aylaeth, we can air our differences later though. As I said before, you and the kids stay close, we can't have them anchoring you again." The last part he says with a smile as he settles his lifebow across his back and starts drawing his blackbladed long sword. No pain, a quick release...

Will it sever the bond with the lifebow if he kills this Slayer with his adamantium longsword DRA? While it is asleep and helpless that is? Or will I just have to find out? =/


@Min:There's no way, mechanically speaking, for me to justify Min knowing that, so I'm gonna have to go with "swing and find out"...


@Mai and @Livain: The pup settles its soft paw/hand (the fur grows coarse and tough as gnolls age, but when young their fur is actually downy and soft -- a condition that lasts but a single scant year at most) on Livain's arm, its eyes wide. It only lingers there a short time, tracing the scar tissue on the Silastrus' otherwise porcelain-perfect flesh before drawing its finger away with a gasp. "That's just-" he gives a nervous look to the orcling.

"Don't you DARE!" snarls the orcling, but the pup forges on regardless.

"That's just like the scars on Grukk's back, he-"

"You SHUT UP!" the orcling launches himself at the gnoll pup, knocking him easily to the ground. The two roll around on the stone floor and the others quickly scatter out to a wide circle, watching them fight and watching the two of you nervously, waiting to see how you'll react.


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Damian bows to the dragon. It may not be able to see him directly, but he knows well the might and power of dragons extends far beyond keen eyesight. He makes a motion to withdraw to the Warbanians, leading them back into the room that the bonded pair of winged elves wait. Intent on asking Maiathreen about the length of time they should normally wait for a teleport with a return trip, he immediately stops when he sees the pair of children fighting. He holds up a hand to prevent the Warbanians from rushing in, though the warriors don't seem keen to break up what must seem completely normal to them.

Intimidate 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21

It is not often that Damian resorts to shouting, least of all to children. However, he recognizes the ingrained need for strong leadership. He would not (and could not) be abusive to them, but he could certainly use his force of personality to cow them for the time being. He wades into the pair and roughly grabs each by the neck of their fouled clothing. "THERE WILL BE ABSOLUTELY NO FIGHTING EACH OTHER! This is MY unit, and I will NOT tolerate fighting amongst yourselves!"


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

Maiathreen is caught off guard by the orc's sudden attack on the gnoll. Before he even has a chance to interfere Captain Damian breaks in and stops their fight. With a nod of thanks to Damian he looks on each of them, then turning towards the orcling. "What did he mean by that, are they like this?" He says as he strips off his own tunic revealing the tattoos and scars left by his and Livain's creators.


Female Sylph Magus (Staff Magus & Cabalist) / 9| HP 72/72 AC 23*or more*, T 14, Flat 18- F+9 R+8 W+9 Init +4; Senses: Darkvision 60ft; Per +9(+11))

Ah, Aylaeth already killed the slayer Min, thereby saving you the moral dilema. Or well, at least I think she did. I posted it, above, and haven't seen anything to indicate that it didn't happen so...?

Oh, and Damian, while their clothes may be tattered and torn still, Aylaeth spent some time magically cleaning them all up so nothing should be 'fouled' anymore. I hope.

The magus nods, accepting Min's suggesting to keeps things informal for now and save any relationship repair work for later. Seeing the Dragonrider draw his sword and divining his intent she realizes that he may not have realized what she had already done "There's no need for that S...Min, the creature is dead."

She then pauses for a moment while she gathers her thoughts and then says "As for our course of action, I see three possible options." Please read her above spoiler

"The first option is, unfortunately, unavailable to us as we have no more teleportation magic left. The third option, while offering a slim possibility of success, does not sit well with me, especially with, as you say, the possibility of the other slayer coming back. So I fully agree with you, let us take action and make our way through the void, looking for one of these 'Markers' and hopefully a way out. So, I suppose the only thing now is to...pick a direction." and she gives him a smile and a wink, her warrior's spirit and confidence fully restored and ready for the challenge before them.


Oh! Yeah, Aylaeth killed that one already. Totally forgot about that. Coup de gras, basically.


@Mai and @Sir Damian and @Livain: The kids whimper and cower when the Captain comes striding in and separates the two combatants, who stay separated once pulled apart but continue to glower at each other.

The orcling just glares suspiciously at Maiathreen when he asks his question, but his eyes get huge when the muscular Silastrus pulls off his tunic to reveal the grim and darkly beautiful results of what was done to him. The orcling remains tacit, but the gnoll pup immediately speaks up to answer. "That's exACTly what they look like! Grukk, show him! Show him! That's the same thing!"

Grukk stares at the floor, his expression unreadable.

2,951 to 3,000 of 3,728 << first < prev | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Legacy of Marianasu - DM Downrightamazed All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.