The Last King of Ireland

Game Master Amergin the Wise


951 to 1,000 of 1,736 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>

Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3, Rogue (Waylayer) 1

Amergin:
"Well it was worth a try, always room in the landlord's hand for coin and my belly for mead! I will grab my things and get going." His weapons and bedroll collected, Ruadhan heads for where the others had bedded down.


I will assume that you all come together in the outskirts of Armagh. You have a full day and a night before meeting with King Mulroney's bard. Please specify if there is anything specific that you want to do, or if there are any preparations that you want to make before leaving.


M Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 4 | HP 34/34 | AC12 T12 F10 | CMB +3 CMD 15 | F5 R4 W9 | Init +8 | Perc +12
X/Day:
Spells | Command x3 - Sanctuary DC17 | Bull's Strength - Calm Emotions x2 - Shield Other DC18 | Channel 5/5 DC14 | Inspiring Word 7/7 | Touch of Law 7/7

Only thing I think we need to do is make sure we get the kiddos before we leave.


However won't we get them after we meet with the bard?


The plans are 1) pick up the bard in the morning, and 2) meet with the Hood near the river. I can't be sure, but there may be an issue there...?


Just a little bit, I was somewhat worried about that I shall not lie. However I did have an idea for that. Since we can't really contact the Hood.


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3, Rogue (Waylayer) 1

As Ruadhán heads out to meet the others, he takes the opportunity to raid the kitchen, grabbing a loaf of bread and a few other bits for along the way.

Ruadhán will pick a few days rations and look to supplement them along the way.

When you all meet Ruadhán is now carrying a light pack, a small spiked shield with several darts and a short sword. Leaving the town he seems fresher, more alive and his eyes move constantly like an animal on the hunt.


"I am pretty sure that Mulroney's bard will not willingly deal with the Hood and travel with the sons of Muirchertach," Kassidy considers when they are all together. "Perhaps we should separate? I could travel with the bard, while you fetch the boys and take them to Tuaim? And we could meet in Boho?


M Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 4 | HP 34/34 | AC12 T12 F10 | CMB +3 CMD 15 | F5 R4 W9 | Init +8 | Perc +12
X/Day:
Spells | Command x3 - Sanctuary DC17 | Bull's Strength - Calm Emotions x2 - Shield Other DC18 | Channel 5/5 DC14 | Inspiring Word 7/7 | Touch of Law 7/7

Ó Máille considers Kassidy's words for a moment before responding. "As much as it pains me to suggest such, I think it may be the only solution. Perhaps Ruadhán or Thorun could accompany you to ensure your safety."


"I'd suggest both." Aoife spoke up as she crossed her arms. "Brother Ó'Máille and myself can collect the children and see them safely to Tuaim. Depending on their ages we can appear as a traveling family. If the children as too old for such an act to work we will simply have to move quickly." She suggested.


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3, Rogue (Waylayer) 1

"Just a thought, but this bard may have been primed as to who to expect in the group, based on your meeting. He will not be expecting me. For that reason, might it make sense for me to travel with the children, that way it might be possible to convince the bard that whomever accompanies me is staying behind as sick and then it is only one. I also am used to staying hidden whilst travelling, so I may be able to keep that party out of sight of prying eyes. But I understand that I am an outsider and you would be justified in not trusting me yet."


"It is less the fact you just joined us and more the fact about the comment you made." Aoife said as she crossed her arms. "I'm not sure I trust you to look after them. However if we are worried about Ruadhán's point he and I can take the children back while Kassidy, Brother Ó'Máille, and Thorun go with the bard to Boho."


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3, Rogue (Waylayer) 1

"That's fair and I understand. As I said, you barely know me from Adam, my Re Tuaithe has been involved in the clash over who replaces the Ard Ri and wouldn't be too happy if they turned up.And we are tied up in this by a shady bandit organisation who basically blackmailed us into it. On top of that I am experienced enough to know that trusting someone at face value, without a reference or experience of them will likely get you killed
So again I am happy to go in either group, I just thought it might help if awkward questions get asked. However, and this is more for going forward with you all, I would say this. I don't like the way my Ri Tuaithe acted during the events leading up to the death of the Ard Ri, and I think to wipe his offspring from the world is evil. Also if I had been really that bothered by the Hood, I would have fought them and died with honour, not been blackmailed. So I guess what I am saying is that I will stick to whatever plan you all come up with and earn my place. "


M Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 4 | HP 34/34 | AC12 T12 F10 | CMB +3 CMD 15 | F5 R4 W9 | Init +8 | Perc +12
X/Day:
Spells | Command x3 - Sanctuary DC17 | Bull's Strength - Calm Emotions x2 - Shield Other DC18 | Channel 5/5 DC14 | Inspiring Word 7/7 | Touch of Law 7/7

Ó Máille studies Ruadhán's face as he speaks.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

"I trust you." The priest breaks the silence that follows warrior's explanation. "Though, perhaps Thorun should accompany you. The children need as much protection as we can afford and I think it might be easier to explain his absence over Aoife's. Perhaps he spent to much coin at the tavern?" The young priest suggests as a wry smile spreads across his face.


HP= 18/26 | AC=14 | Shadow's Status |

"Splitting up does seem the best course, Aoife wit the children ta be certain. As that is the case, Aoife, who would you wish with you?"

As she responds Kass nods, "Yer correct, it seems Ruadhán makes the most sense while Brother Ó'Máille and Thorun come with me 'n the Bard. I bet we've more've a chance at encountering ah... difficulties along the way as none'll be lookin' fer ya'. Still, wit' what we 'read from tha' Hood seems someone is out fer us all. Both o' the groups will need ta' be cautious".


Aoife nodded to Kassidy. "We'll leave as soon as possible. That way we can meet you at Boho." Aoife said with a nod before she turned to Ruadhán. "Shall we gather our things?" She asked him.


M Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 4 | HP 34/34 | AC12 T12 F10 | CMB +3 CMD 15 | F5 R4 W9 | Init +8 | Perc +12
X/Day:
Spells | Command x3 - Sanctuary DC17 | Bull's Strength - Calm Emotions x2 - Shield Other DC18 | Channel 5/5 DC14 | Inspiring Word 7/7 | Touch of Law 7/7

The young priest looks to his companions in turn with a worried look on his face. "I - Well, yes. Be careful Aoife."


Aoife smiled at the brother and gave him a nod. "I plan to be." She replied. "But that goes double for you all. Watch your backs. We'll meet you in Boho as soon as we can."


Aoife and Ruadhan gather their things and bid their companions goodby before leaving Armagh. If all goes well, they should reach the Blackwater by midday. And if all goes well, the Hood will be there to meet them...

Aoife and Ruadhan:

Luck roll: 1d20 ⇒ 6
Survival DC 12: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Aoife and Ruadhan quickly leave the path that leads East to the coast, and travel North toward the Blackwater River. God is with them, and the trip is uneventful. They find the crossing – the very crossing where O’Maille almost drowned – and wait. In the later afternoon, a wary Abiodun finds them. He is followed by three boys: Conchobar, the eldest, almost a man and strong like his father was said to be; Nial, a slender teenaged boy with keen eyes; and the youngest, Mael, who hides behind the other two. Once fated to be kings among men, the boys are now orphans with nowhere to go.

”I remember you,” Conchobar addresses Ruadhan.

”I knew your father,” Ruadhan answers simply. There will be plenty of time to talk, later…

”Go quickly,” Abiodun encourages them all. He says goodby to the boys with a caring smile. Mael runs to the black man, who reassures him: ”you can trust them.”

Abiodun watches them cross the river before disappearing into the forest. The crossing is not easy, and neither is the march ahead. Nevertheless, the boys follow stoically. They set camp for the night up in the hills, far from danger.

Tomorrow, they will cross the river again, and then they will have to chose between traveling through Enniskillen or detouring South through Cavan.

O'Maille, Thorun, and Kassidy:

O'Maille, Thorun, and Kassidy spend the day exploring Armagh, and then enjoy a restful night – the first in many nights. Well rested in the morning, they make their way to King Mulroney's camp, and there meet the king's Fili, Airthir, a stern and haughty man in his fifties.

"I expected you at dawn," he complains. Thorun bites his tongue, and Brother O'Maille decides not to argue. Kassidy greets the bard with all the expected niceties, and they are soon on their way.

Luck roll: 1d20 ⇒ 6
Survival DC 12: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18

They make their way North, and cross the River Blackwater, before heading West. They cross the river once more, and set camp.

On the morrow, will they travel through Airgialla and head towards Enniskillen, or detour through Cavan?


Aoife and Ruadhan:
Aoife stood as the small group made their way. "I was beginning to worry." Aoife told Abiodun with a welcomed nod. Looking over the boys she gave the them a kind smile. "I have sworn to look after you all, I am Aoife." She said. They where a lone in this world now, and many wanted to see them dead... now it was Aoife's blade between the children and their enemies.

"Abiodun is correct we must move swiftly. Come, if God favors us we shall move without notice." Aoife ensures that the boys are settled before turning to Abiodun one last time. "Take care of yourself Abiodun. We may not have met on favored terms but I wish you only good fortune." Aoife told him as her goodbye before she saw all across the river safely.

As they set up camp Aoife takes it upon herself to hunt a bit for the group.

Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

God smiled upon the half-breed and when she returned with a fat deer. She dressed it and set a good portion of it to cook over the flames while she did her best to preserve the rest with what she had. She rolled up the hide as well.

As their dinner cooked Aoife sat down and looked the boys over properly now. "They told me I'd be taking care of children, but Conchobar you're damn near a man." Aoife jested as she crossed her arms. "Tell me how good is your sword arm?" She asked.

"Nial correct? You seem a bit thin for your age, but I'd wager you're fast and rather bright." Aoife stated with a small laugh. "If I'm correct then you two are a lot like two other brothers I know." She told them with a smile.

Finally she looked to Mael. "You didn't want to leave did you? I'm sorry you had to. But I will look after you all." Aoife reassured him.

"Tomorrow we can travel through Enniskillen or go south through Cavan. Any of you ever been to either?" She asked.


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3, Rogue (Waylayer) 1

Aoife and Ruadhán:

With nothing better to say, Ruadhán merely nods in greeting at Abiodun, before turning to the young men. It isn't until Conchobar recognises him that Ruadhán's appraising eye breaks it's stare. His brief reply is all he says before taking the lead, heading out to the lonely place of a scout, that cusp where you are close enough to aid and be aided, but far enough to barely be able to hear the main group. As such it isn't until the group's first break that he says more. "Hello, I am Ruadhán, as I said before I knew your father and I am also here to protect you. We have made good time this morning, but we must push on to see you safe." As the group push on, Ruadhán continues his scouting, seeing nothing of consequence, but finding a tall, straight bough, the raw material for a spear shaft.
Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
When the group stop to camp, Ruadhán takes up looking after the boys, telling stories whilst he readies a fire and Aoife hunts. He is pleasantly impressed with the skill she exhibits to bring back and so neatly dress such a fat deer.
Knowledge Geography: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Knowledge local: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Pondering Aoife's question, he comments, "I know the land and can easily guide us, but is a while since I have been this way and I know little about the politics of this local area. I would say the route through Enniskillen is shorter, but the route via Cavan is probably an easier one, does anyone know where is likely to be safer from people? Once the food is over and the conversation has died down to discussion of the route, Ruadhán takes tools from his bag and sets to work stripping and shaping the bough he had found.


Aoife and Ruadhán:

Unfortunately, Ruadhan's knowledge of local politics doesn't give you any insight into which way would be better. However, Ruadhan does know the lay of the land. Basically, you must chose between a longer path through Cavan, or a shorter route through Fermanagh, which imposes passing through or near Enniskillen.

O'Maille, Thorun, and Kassidy: I need to know which of the two paths you want to take, bearing in mind that you are travelling with a bard who belongs to the house of the King of Fermanagh.


M Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 4 | HP 34/34 | AC12 T12 F10 | CMB +3 CMD 15 | F5 R4 W9 | Init +8 | Perc +12
X/Day:
Spells | Command x3 - Sanctuary DC17 | Bull's Strength - Calm Emotions x2 - Shield Other DC18 | Channel 5/5 DC14 | Inspiring Word 7/7 | Touch of Law 7/7

Traveling with the Bard:
"Kassidy?" Ó Máille draws the Irishman's attention. "Politically, where will we face the least opposition? And Thorun, which route do you think will be less taxing?"


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3, Rogue (Waylayer) 1

Amergin, I'm still getting my head around the political groups and geographical areas. I think you had said something about a connection between Fermanagh and Airghialla, but I can't find it. Was that correct? as obviously as my favoured enemy, Ruadhán would avoid that route if possible. Also I hope that was ok picking a long and short route, didn't want to overstep, but seemed appropriate.


Entirely understandable! I'll endeavour to put more information in the Campaign tab in the near future. In the meantime, here's a reminder:

Boho>Fermanagh>Airghialla
Largay>Cavan>Breifne

Breifne and Airghialla both fought at Leitr-Luin, against the High King. Airghialla's allegiance has swayed in the past, but Breifne, along with Connaught, long stood against the High King and his allies, namely Leinster.

Long story short, the long route makes sense!


Should have used "<" instead of ">".

Aoife and Ruadhán:

luck roll: 1d20 ⇒ 19
Survival DC 12: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
luck roll: 1d20 ⇒ 16
Survival DC 12: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Preferring to leave the lands of Airgialla, Ruadhan and Aoife lead the boys South of Upper Lough Erne. The trip will take a day longer, but it is probably for the best... They set camp near the lake, at the foot of Slieve Rushen mountain.

The following morning, in order to avoid Ballyconnell, they hike up the Slieve Rushen mountain, which stands between Fermanagh and Cavan. The fog is thick, and the rocky terrain makes the way difficult to navigate. They lose their way, and find themselves knee deep in the muddy waters of Slieve Rushen bog.

Survival DC 12: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

They lose another day finding a path in the shallows and avoiding the dangerous quicksands. Safely across the bog, they set camp atop the mountain. The boys are exhausted, but they do not complain. They have had to endure any number of ordeals in the last weeks since their father was killed.

luck roll: 1d20 ⇒ 2
Survival DC 12: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

In the morning, the fog has lifted, and they can see Lower Lough Macnean in the distance, to the North-West. Home... Tired but hopeful, they make their way down the mountain...

...and encounter a small group of herders – two older men and four youths. Spear in hand, one of the older men approaches while the others remain behind.


Male Human Barbarian (Superstitious) 4 AC 16, Touch 12, FF 14 | HP 60/60 | F +6, R +3, W +2 | Init +4 | Perc +8
Raging Stats:
AC 14, Touch 10, FF 12 | HP 68/68 | F +8, R +3, W +4 | Init +4 | Perc +8

Can I make a survivor or knowledge (geography) check to see which of the paths will be physically easier?


As none of you are trained in Geography, I won't allow a roll, which could have given you some insight. However, you've travelled through Enniskillen before, so you know the dangers and are less likely to get lost. And don't forget that you have a map, which makes for a +4 bonus to your Survival roll!

The question becomes: keeping in mind that the others left about a day before you, how quickly to you wish to reach Boho? Or are you heading to Tuaim?


Aoife and Ruadhán:
Aoife ensured the boys had enough to eat and that they where warm. Really she seemed to dote upon the children in general. She would tell them the stories her mother would tell her and her brother when they where younger. While her attention never fully left the children of the passed King every now and again her eyes fell to Ruadhán. To her he was still an unknown and she wasn't sure how much she could risk. If Thorun had been there it would have been a different story.

When she could see Lower Lough Macnean she smiled just a bit. "We're almost there." Aoife told them, a smile still on her lips. "Lets go." She encouraged them as she lead them down the mountain.

However upon seeing the herders she held a hand up to the group and stepped foreword to meet with the elder that came foreword. "Good day, please don't mind us. We're just heading home." Aoife said kindly.


HP= 18/26 | AC=14 | Shadow's Status |

Traveling with the Bard:
Kass considers the question posed to him, "Let's travel through Airgialla an' head t'wards Enniskillen. Better the Devil we know aye?"

Boho is our destination. A stop in Tuaim may cause the Bard even more consternation plus I don't think we want him finding out anything about our side dealings with the Hood in any way.


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3, Rogue (Waylayer) 1

Aoife and Ruadhán:

During the days, Ruadhán continues his role, scouting out ahead of the group, but as the fog closes in, he ends up walking alongside the others. After their infuriating trudge through the marshes, Ruadhán's mood gets darker still through frustration at his own mistakes, but it is lightened by the efforts of the boys trying to act like men. Each evening he continues his work on the spear shaft, and by the time they head down the mountain it is half finished.
Craft weapons: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
When the men are spotted Ruadhán allows Aoife to take the front foot, staying back and readying his darts should it come to a fight, whilst keeping one eye on their surroundings. Turning briefly to the boys, he speaks quietly, Right lads, if this goes south you get out of here like your arses are on fire. Nial, Mael, stick with Conchobar. Aoife and I will deal with them and find you at last night's camp, ok?


M Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 4 | HP 34/34 | AC12 T12 F10 | CMB +3 CMD 15 | F5 R4 W9 | Init +8 | Perc +12
X/Day:
Spells | Command x3 - Sanctuary DC17 | Bull's Strength - Calm Emotions x2 - Shield Other DC18 | Channel 5/5 DC14 | Inspiring Word 7/7 | Touch of Law 7/7

On Bard Duty:
"Sounds fair." Ó Máille responds to Kassidy.

He addresses the bard. "Thorun is our physical protection and guide on this journey. With him leading us, I have no doubt we'll reach Largay swiftly and safely." (Largay is our destination, correct?)


Aoife and Ruadhán:

The boys remain with Ruadhan as Aoife goes ahead. Conchobar keeps his brothers close, ready to bolt if needs be.

"You must be far from home. This is Glangevlin land. That's your family? Where are you from?" the old man asks Aoife, eyeing her warily. Glangevlin. A township South of Tuaim. Home to the Maguire, who swear fealty to Cavan.

Aoife, please roll either Bluff or Diplomacy, depending on how you want to role-play the situation. Obviously, the right words will help!

O'Maille, Thorun, and Kassidy:

As Kassidy wrote, I believe that your destination should be Boho, given that you are travelling with Mulroney's bard. A reminder: Tuaim is a township in Largay.

Luck roll: 1d20 ⇒ 5
Survival (using map): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29

The group makes good time, and spends the night in Enniskillen. As they are in the presence of the Fili, they are hosted with great honour. They eat well, drink merrily, and sleep soundly.

If all goes well, they should arrive in Boho on the morrow...

Luck roll: 1d20 ⇒ 8
Survival (using map): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21

At the end of the next day, they see Boho in the distance...

I will resolve Aoife and Ruadhan's trip before proceeding with the arrival in Boho.


Aoife and Ruadhán:
"They are kin." Aoife answered with a nod. "My sister's children and her husband. God rest her soul, she passed trying to bring their last child into this world." Aoife told them as she looked down "We are both from Tuaim, so when I got news of her death I set out to bring them here. But I've never been so far before and we got a little lost when the fog came. If I'm right Tuaim is just north of here no?" She asked as if trying to ensure she was correct.

Bluff: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22

Damn Aoife be smooth!!! XD


Aoife and Ruadhán:

"God bless you," the old man prays when he hears Aoife's sad story. "Tuaim is that way," he continues, pointing North. "It's not so far, but you won't make it before nightfall. Keep Cuilcagh mountain to you back, and stay on the slope to avoid the wetlands to the East." The old man smiles, and moves on.

Aoife rejoins with the others, and they head north. They set camp one last time, eager to arrive in Tuaim, for better or for worse. In the morning, the conclude their trip and arrive in Tuaim before noon...

For the record: Aoife and Ruadhán arrive in Tuaim a day later than the others in Belcoo. I will therefore pause events in Tuaim (while allowing for role-play, of course) in order to allow for the situation to evolve in Belcoo. More to come when I have time to write a proper post!


Aoife and Ruadhán:
"Thank you, thank you so much. May God bless you for your kind help." Aoife said as she gave the man a respectful nod and returned to the group. "We keep the mountain to our backs, follow me and I'll get you all there but we won't be there till tomorrow." She explained.

Upon seeing Tuaim Aoife couldn't help but smile brightly. "Home." She said as she looked to the boys. "It may Not be where you grew up, but I hope it will feel like home in time."

She got them into town and headed right for the church with them. "For the moment in going to leave you with Father Ó'Máille. I need to speak with a few people about getting you all some place proper to stay." Aoife explained before she entered the church. "Father Ó'Máille!" She called.


O'Maille, Thorun, and Kassidy:

Along with the King Mulroney's bard, O'Maille, Thorun, and Kassidy ride into Boho. Recognizing the Fili immediately, King O'Fialain greets him with great reverence of offers his hospitality with a mix of worry and hope. A man such as Airthir could help his cause at Fermanagh's court, were he to become an ally. But why is he here? And why with these men of Largay?

Nial O'Fialain acknowledges O'Maille, Thorun, and Kassidy from afar. He seems concerned as well, but holds his tongue as they all make their way into his father's hall.

"I have come to settle a dispute," Airthir speaks once they have all settled, and the pleasantries have been delt with. "Breifne and Airgialla are at peace and stand together behind Connaught. The King of Fermanagh does not wish to upset this delicate balance, and so he has sent me here to hear the cause, and issue a judgement in his name. Will you abide by the ruling that I will make?"

"I will," King O'Fialain agrees, albeit reluctantly.

The Fili turns to O'Maille, Thorun, and Kassidy, and asks: "who speaks for Largay?"


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3, Rogue (Waylayer) 1

Aoife and Ruadhán:

Nice roll Aoife!
Amergin, I haven't done too much crafting in Pathfinder before, but having a quick read,
I think I have done enough work to make a standard spear.

"It has been a while since I came this way and that fog turned me right around. Nicely done with the herders, any fight is best avoided for something like this and now we know our way too."
As they break camp on their last day, Ruadhán approaches Conchobar, the now finished spear in his hand. [b]"Conchobar, it should be your father or an uncle giving you your first weapon,but, well that obviously is no longer going to happen. So I have made this for you, it is not the master crafted blade of a prince, but it will serve you well, particularly in hiding. To be a real man you need to learn when and when not to fight, but when it comes to a fight you need to know how to win. I am a skirmisher rather than a stand up fighter so I run as much as I fight, but if we get the chance, I will show you the basics. When your brother's come of age I will do the same for them to, if they would like. So come on, let us get to your new home and when you are settled in, if you want we can start."[b] This duty done, Ruadhán takes up his usual duties, an air of melancholy visible in his mannerisms and his eyes often looking in the direction of his home.


Male Human Barbarian (Superstitious) 4 AC 16, Touch 12, FF 14 | HP 60/60 | F +6, R +3, W +2 | Init +4 | Perc +8
Raging Stats:
AC 14, Touch 10, FF 12 | HP 68/68 | F +8, R +3, W +4 | Init +4 | Perc +8

Diplomacy Group:
Thorun gives a deep belly laugh as he's considered for speaker, then waves a dismissal. "No, sorry, ignore me." He steps back, still chuckling.


O'Maille, Thorun, and Kassidy:

"I do," Kassidy answers, taking a step forward.

"Who speaks for Boho?"

"I do," the king himself stands.

The Fili nods. Then, he turns to Kassidy: "you may speak your claim."

Kassidy explains that a duel was agreed upon, that the amulet was promised should Fintan of Largay win, and that Sean Quinn of Belcoo was named by the King of Boho as his champion. Kassidy contends that as Sean Quinn ran away, the duel was forfeited, and the amulet by right now belongs to Largay.

Knowledge, Local: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Book in hand, Kassidy pleads the case with skill and eloquence.

"How do you answer?" the Fili turns to the King of Boho.

Knowledge, Local: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Bluff: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Sense motive: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

The king speaks with fair eloquence and a remarquable understanding of the finer points of Brehon Law. Ultimately, O'Fialain argues that the amulet was never promised and that none here present who are not of Largay would say otherwise.

Arthur raises an eyebrow. He considers the case, asking questions and evaluating answers. He speaks to many in the hall, and they all confirm the King's account. The Fili shakes his head. Clearly, he doubts the truth of O'Fialain's words, but he has no way to prove the lie.

"Unless you can present a witness who is not loyal to Largay, I will have no choice but to judge in favour of Boho" the Fili asks Kassidy, who hesitates and turns to Brother O'Maille for guidance. Sean Quinn?


Receiving little guidance from Brother O'Maille, Kassidy asks for a pause in the proceedings.

"It is in your rights," concedes the Fili. "You have until tomorrow to produce some proof of your claim. If you do not, I will have no choice but to judge in favour of O'Fialain."

King O'Fialain is very pleased, and almost gleeful as he watches the heroes of Largay leaving Boho. Truth be told, after all these tests and tribulations, they did not imagine that the cause was not theirs.

It is late already when, dejected, they ride to Tuaim with haste. They arrive late in the night, and Fintan himself meets them, albeit in his robes.

"Saint-Patrick guides your path," he greets them happily. "I am pleased that you are well... Where is Aoife?"

She should have arrived by now, along with Ruadhan and the MacLochlain boys.

Making their way into the McGovern hall, they explain the events in Armagh, and conjecture that Aoife and Ruadhan should arrive soon. They all agree to reconvene in the morning, after a well-deserved night's rest.

In the morning, Aoife and Ruadhan and the boys arrive. Everyone gathers in the great hall...


M Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 4 | HP 34/34 | AC12 T12 F10 | CMB +3 CMD 15 | F5 R4 W9 | Init +8 | Perc +12
X/Day:
Spells | Command x3 - Sanctuary DC17 | Bull's Strength - Calm Emotions x2 - Shield Other DC18 | Channel 5/5 DC14 | Inspiring Word 7/7 | Touch of Law 7/7

Amergin, Thorun, and Kassidy:
Ó Máille pulls his companions aside, speaking quietly. "Mayhap Sean or Brigit Quinn? Would they meet the law's requirments?"


Aoife and Ruadhán:

Conchobar and his brothers had been mostly quiet during the difficult journey from Armagh. But now that they were in Tuaim where they hoped to stay safe for a while, Conchobar seemed more at ease.

"Thank you," he spoke simply to Aoife and Ruadhan as they accompanied the brothers to O'Maille's home before meeting with Fintan and the others in the king's hall. "Since our father died," he continues, "we have had no peace. But now... Now, I think that my brothers and I will be alright."

"And when comes the time to fight," he finishes, proudly holding his new spear, "we'll be ready."


Aoife seems more than happy to he home. "If you need anything, come find me. I'll make sure you get it." Aoife told them before she gave them each a hug. "Be safe, and stay together." She advised them with a smile before she waved for Ruadhán to follow her and left the boys in Father Ó'Máille's care.

When they entered the hall Aoife smiled seeing everyone else there. "Sorry to keep you all waiting, we got a little lost in a bog coming back." She explained.


HP= 18/26 | AC=14 | Shadow's Status |

Amergin, Thorun, and Kassidy:
"I do believe tha' Sean would. However, while it may settle a dispute it would also ignite another. We should ascertain from Fintan if tha' prize is werth tha' trials that may ensue therafter...

As fer Brigit, well, ah'm not sure she'd testify on our behalf."


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 3, Rogue (Waylayer) 1

"Conchobar, if the stories I have heard are true, then you have your father's spirit. Let me show you how to use that thing first, but I admire your courage."

Leaving the boys in their new home, Ruadhán talks to Aoife as they walk from Father O'Máille's house. "If you don't mind me saying, you are a natural mother, your maternal instincts are second to few, I hope you get a chance at becoming a mother yourself. I hope you can trust me a little more now, they are good boys, strong boys, they will be fine, you have given them a really good chance at life. Now let us see how our friends got on. "
When they finally rejoin the others he pipes up following Aoife's lead. "We did indeed, it is a good job, Aoife is good with words or we may have been lost for ever. How did you fare? And how can we help?


Aoife's cheeks turn a soft pink at Ruadhán praise. Honestly she had given little thought to her chances of being a mother. While she was treated fairly by her fellow slaves, the King's sons, and her King, the Queen had never been kind thus she never thought she'd be given leave to marry. Even if the one she wanted to marry was a slave. That didn't mean the thought of being a mother never crossed her mind... She once wondered if she'd ever have a family of her own.

However now Aoife was more warrior than she was before, and unless her father claimed her as his own child she'd have little in way of marriage options. "I... well thank you." Aoife said with a small sigh. "I would love to be a mother, but sadly... I doubt it is something I will ever be." She told him with a shrug. "However, I must say you have done well. You had many chances to betray us yet you never did. That speaks much of you."


Tuaim. The principle settlement in the kingdom of Largay. Home to King McGovern who is away, marching the circuit at the head of his kinsmen alongside the King of Breifne, convincing all the kings of Ireland – by any means necessary – to stand behind Connaught’s bid to become High King at Tara in the summer.

In the king’s absence, his son Fintan sits on the throne, with his mother at his side. Fintan is a good and kind man, and he has proven himself an able ruler. His mother, on the other hand, is a manipulative and dangerous politician – but she loves her son more than anything, and councils him wisely. Happy to see them all safe and sound, he greets them warmly. She simply smiles, coldly.

”How was your voyage? Has the King of Fermanagh agreed to consider our cause? Will he force Boho to return to fragment, which by right and by promise belongs to us?” he asks, once Ruadhan has been introduced and they have all settled with a cup of hot pine tea.


M Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 4 | HP 34/34 | AC12 T12 F10 | CMB +3 CMD 15 | F5 R4 W9 | Init +8 | Perc +12
X/Day:
Spells | Command x3 - Sanctuary DC17 | Bull's Strength - Calm Emotions x2 - Shield Other DC18 | Channel 5/5 DC14 | Inspiring Word 7/7 | Touch of Law 7/7

Ó Máille's countenance darkens when Fintan inquires about their progress. "Fintan." The young priest begins, "The king of Boho is no fool. He knows the law better than any of us and was able to deftly refute our claims. Our only hope is to present the king of Fermanagh with a witness not loyal to Largay who can corroborate our story."

He looks to Kassidy, then to Aoife before returning his gaze to Fintan. "We think Sean Quinn may meet these requirements, should he be willing to testify."


"Sean Quinn was given sanctuary in Killesher church," Fintan responds. "So it is to your father that we must speak of this, and to Sean of course; but I fear that Sean will have little reason to risk himself to help us..."

951 to 1,000 of 1,736 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Last King of Ireland All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.