Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


The Knights of Luruar

Game Master Graynore


1 to 50 of 431 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

This is the campaign thread for the Knights of Luruar.

Before posting, please seek final approval in the discussion thread.


Kythorn 1, Year of Wild Magic
The sun rises above the city of Silverymoon on a chill spring morning. Despite the frost still clinging outside the city, the parks and ways of Silverymoon are comfortable. On the outside of the city, you form ranks with the other recruits for the Argent Legion.

As junior army members of the confederacy of the Silver Marches, you have come from near and far. Standing in loose formation while an old man hands out Argent Legion tabards, you rub the sleep out of your eyes. A row of forty heavy knights stand in a row before the recruits. As you place your tabard over your clothes, a horn calls out and an impressive looking half-elf with silver hair steps onto a stand.

"Friends! Protectors! Soldiers! Welcome to the first day of the rest of your lives!" As the half-elf waits for the hurah to die down, he smiles and starts again "I am Methrammar Aerasume, High Marshal of the Argent Legion. Everyone of you has made a commitment to protect and better the Silver Marches. I thank you for your service. Please see your immediate supervisors for your duty assignments. Luruar!"

As you smile and look around, you notice a hobgoblin with a staff standing in formation near you. He smiles and nods at you, "Greetings. My name is Brunk'rock. Mage of Doomspire at your service." With a short bow, he looks to you, "And what would your name be?"


M Human Bard (Eldritch Might Variant) 2

The Silverymoon cosmopolitanism of his childhood wars with Alder's Uthgardt suspicion of the goblin-kin. But he nods courteously in reply, and lifts his hand in greeting.
"Alder Two-Fingers. Of...," he hesitates a moment. "Of Silverymoon. You can see whence I take the name. When we have the time, I'd be eager to hear your tale."


The hobgoblin smiles, "Huh, you're the first one not to spit. I'll take that as a good sign." As you look around, you can see several others staring daggers at Brunk'rock. "My kind are not normally allowed within the city let alone the army; however, Grandfather has negotiated a trial program. I'm it."

"Dragonkisser!" calls an old dwarf with one missing eye. "Just because Methrammar says you're in the Legion doesn't mean that anyone wants to listen to your dragon loving face. Now form up and shut up!" The dwarf straitens his tabbard before continuing, "I am Kavar Mughammer. I'm your silver shield in charge. Now you all came to defend the Marches," Kavar casts a questioning look at Brunk'rock before continuing, "but first you need to see the Marches. I know some of you fancy yourselves as soldiers already but that's not how I run my squad. We learn through experience here." Kavar takes a momement and looks over each one of you. "Your first assignment will be to carry a message to the Citadel Adbar. You'll be given provisions for ten days but that won't be enough to get there! I expect you to forage to survive. When an orc horde or collection of scrummy goblins invade, having someone feed you and put you to bed isn't what you'll expect. Now grab your kit and make ready. You leave before high sun!"

Kavar tosses the message case to Alder and says, "You're gonna be responsible for the message. Don't open it. A couple Spellguards put a nasty little curse on it. If you don't know the password, then it'll put you in the dead book. Savy? What's your name anyhow soldier?"


M Human Bard (Eldritch Might Variant) 2
DM Gray wrote:


Kavar tosses the message case to Alder and says, "You're gonna be responsible for the message. Don't open it. A couple Spellguards put a nasty little curse on it. If you don't know the password, then it'll put you in the dead book. Savy? What's your name anyhow soldier?"

Alder salutes the one-eyed dwarf and puts the message case in his pack.

It's an honor, sir. My name is Alder Two-Fingers, born and raised in Silverymoon and lately of the Tree Ghost tribe, friends of the Silver Marches and sworn allies of the Lady Alustriel. This message will reach Citadel Adbar, I swear it by the Grandfather Tree and the honor of a man of the Marches.

DM Gray:

I'd like to make a knowledge (Local - The North) check to see what Alder knows about the Hobgoblins of Doomspire.
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23


"Two-Fingers....I guess it's just not a clever name? Well, you, the Lantan, the elf, and the dragonkisser are in this together." The gruff dwarf spits in Brunk'rock's direction and stalks off.

alright, Anasth and Jaxon jump in

Alder:

Spoiler:
The Doomspire hobgoblins live in the eastern edge of the Nether Mountains overlooking the great desert Anauroch. The clan of hobgoblins serve a family of blue dragons that are suppose to know many magical secrets of both Netheril and dragon magic. While traditionally the Doomspire hobgoblins have attacked anyone in there territory, recently they have been merely exacting tribute (they call it taxes) and allowing them to pass.

Brunk'rock turns to you all, "Well, I suppose I can't expect more from a smelly dwarf. Shall we depart immediately or do you all wish to gather anything before we leave?"

everyone gains 10 days rations


Wood Elf Druid 2

Anasth frowns at his new companions, raising his eyebrows in an imperial arch that emphasizes his elven features but does nothing for his congeniality. The stalk of tall grass he had been chewing on leaned out of his mouth at a jaunty angle, and his golden hair curled around his pointed ears.

"Glad to do anything against the savages that rip through the High Forest." He says, but then silently berates himself and looks embarrassed. "Few orcs have escaped my arrows. And I've no intention of letting them get anywhere near the Citadel."


M Human Bard (Eldritch Might Variant) 2

Alder says, "What I own I'm carrying. I'm ready when you are."


Brunk'rock raises an eyebrow at Anasth's comment. "Yes, orcs are savages."

"Keep your tears to yourself, dragonkisser," Kavar snears. The dwarf looks around and notices the High Marshall aproaching. Snapping to attention, Kavar says "Attention you orc kissing maggots! The High Marshall is blessing ya with his presence!"

High Marshall Aerasume salutes you all. "At ease recruits. Brunk'rock of Doomspire, you are being reasigned to the Invocatorium. Report there immediately. As for the rest of you, you will be joined by a swordsman named Ariael. See to your assignments." As the High Marshall mounts his horse and rides off with his guard, Brunk'rock shrugs his shoulders, "Well, it might have been fun. Enjoy the ride." Brunk'rock eyes Anasth as he walks away into the city.

moving forward a little bit. I'll assume that you gather everything that you wanted.

The sun has reached its apex as you are gathered again in the muster field. All four of you stand ready to go on your grand "adventure." Kavar stands before you again, "Alright, it's time to move out. May the gods bless you all and keep you safe until the mead is ready for us all! I expect you to report in record time. You will not have mounts. You will need to band together to survive. The roads are patroled but not completely safe. I expect everyone to make it."

any questions or comments before you leave? what is the marching order? do you walk with weapons ready? if so, what are they? spellcasters prepare spells that you will have memorized.


Wood Elf Druid 2

Anasth readies his bow for combat, and hangs his quiver loosely so he can reach any arrows he needs. The longsword at his side is unbuckled from its scabbard.

"In other words, be prepared for anything."

Anasth takes up position on the right, scanning the area for any signs of orcs or other dangers.

Perception
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15


M Human Bard (Eldritch Might Variant) 2

Alder takes the rear. As soon as the group has left Silverymoon, he puts his longbow and an arrow at the ready. As they walk, he softly half-hums, half-chants an old marching song.


Male Moon Elf Ranger1(Deep Walker)

I'm awaiting DM approval of my PC, fyi


The first day goes by without a hitch. The road twists to the northeast out of Silverymoon with the Nether Mountains to the southeast. The day is chilled but not unbareable. As the night falls and the cold spring air comes, you make camp and "enjoy" the rations provided. It begins to get late and it is time to turn in for the night.
Are you setting up any watches? if so, what are they?


M Human Bard (Eldritch Might Variant) 2

Over the scarcely palatable rations, Arden tells a story of Deckon Thar, the bandit king whose haunted tomb is said to lie in the Nether mountains. As the hour grows late, he suggests dividing the watch. An early riser himself, he volunteers for last watch.


Wood Elf Druid 2

Used to darkness in the High Forest, Anasth nods.

"I'll take the midnight watch."


As the night gets late, you hear a couple wagons moving toward your position on the road. Two covered wagons come by on the road. The wagons slow down and stop. A group of gnomes and a human wave at you. One of the gnomes shout a greeting, "Hello my fellows! May we share your camp for the night?"


Male Human Rogue 2

"If you haven't eaten, we have some vegetables and meat we were unable to salt before leaving. The makings of an excellent stew!" The human says with a grin, hoping to entice the soldiers to trade protection for happy stomachs.


M Human Bard (Eldritch Might Variant) 2
Jaxon Cal wrote:
"If you haven't eaten, we have some vegetables and meat we were unable to salt before leaving. The makings of an excellent stew!"

Alder says, "Aye, come share the fire. It would be a poor soldier indeed who would pass up a chance for a good meal."


Wood Elf Druid 2

Anasth stirs from his silent position in the branches of a nearby tree, dropping down roughly.

"I imagine stew would be better than what we had prior."


Male Human Rogue 2

"Name's Cal. Pleased t' meet you." the human says, still smiling. Hopping down from the wagon he roots through some things and comes forth with a good sized cookpot and two sacks. Emptying a water skin into the pot he wastes no time getting the stew going. Soon the smell is tantalizing.


"Hey Cal! Wait up for us." A group of gnomes jump off the carts and bring over an assortment of instruments. One gnome sweeps off his hat, "Glimly Shadowrock at your service. We'll provide the entertainment and the food if you provide the company."

The gnomes pass out bowls while singing a couple tunes in sylvan. Once everyone has something to eat, Glimly continues "You all look like thhe capable sort. What are you traveling along this long and lonesome road for?"


M Human Bard (Eldritch Might Variant) 2

Alder listens to the gnomes' tune with interest. Responding to Glimly, he says,
"We are soldiers of the Argent Legion, tasked with protecting the Silver Marches and its people. I'm afraid I can't give the details of our mission, but we're headed in the direction of Citadel Adbar. And you? What brings you to the wilderness?"


Glimly smiles at Alder, "Soldiers you say! and going to Adbar no less! That is the best news I've heard all tenday. We are merchants on our way to Citadel Adbar. Perhaps we could travel together? Without mounts yourself, we shouldn't slow you down. What do you say?" Glimly winks at Jaxon. "Guess you won't be the only bigbody around anymore."


Male Human Rogue 2

"Might help rid me of this crick in my neck."


M Human Bard (Eldritch Might Variant) 2

Alder moves to speak with Anasth privately.

Anasth:

"It never pays to be too trusting in the wild, but I think we could let them join us with no harm to ourselves or our mission." He smiles. "And, of a certain, the food was good. What do you think?"


Wood Elf Druid 2

Anasth rests in a defensive stance, his arms crossed over his chest as he looks over the newcomers.

Alder:
"I care not, either way. Merchants might be likely to attract orcs on their own. If we're lucky, we'll be able to put a few of the treerippers to the ground."


Glimly smiles and waits for the response. Turning to Jaxon, he says "Perhaps we should turn in and await their decision in the morning." The gnomes set up camp and lie down for the night.

does anyone have anything they want to do before the next morning?


Male Human Rogue 2

Cal is a workaholic, so he'll be up half the night tinkering with something or other, working on something quiet like carving out a new mold or sketching new schematics. He's one of those manic artist types that doesn't sleep much. :)


M Human Bard (Eldritch Might Variant) 2

Alder returns to Glimly and Jaxon, and says, "We'd be happy to share the road with you to Adbar."

Alder has nothing in particular to do before his last watch; he spends a little time talking music with any interested gnomes, then goes to sleep.


The day opens with a slight drizzel but by midday, it is a full down poor with hard wind. There is little to no shelter on the road as you continue to move on. Glimly sits on his cart with his cloak tight about his body.

Towards mid-afternoon, you see a startling sight. An exact replica of Glimly's cart with him on it appear infront in the road. The other Glimly stands up and yells something but it is lost in the wind. As the second Glimly begins to disappear you see him point to the south of the road.

As your eyes move to the south, a ten feet tall brute with a great club comes lumbering out of the rain. As it sees you, it roars and charges toward Anasth.

roll initiative and perception checks. surprise round. -2 to ranged attacks due to the weather. everyone gets one partial action since you were warned


Male Human Rogue 2

Perception 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15
Initiative 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

"What the crap! Incoming! Get behind me elf!" Cal grabs his spear from where it sat next to him, lodged in the ground acting as a flagpole, and moves forward a step to dig his feet in and wait in case the big thing came after him.

5' adjust, standard action to Set Vs. Charge


Wood Elf Druid 2

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
Initiative 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

"I don't usually get behind shorter people." He says plainly, but with a hint of sarcasm.

He swiftly cocks an arrow into his bow and releases it at the brute.

1d20 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (7) + 3 - 2 = 8 for 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

Andoran

dotting?? a post disappeared.


Wood Elf Druid 2

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
Initiative 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

"I don't usually get behind shorter people." He says plainly, but with a hint of sarcasm.

He swiftly cocks an arrow into his bow and releases it at the brute.

1d20 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (7) + 3 - 2 = 8 for 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10


Male Human Rogue 2

Cal is 6'1". He's human. There were zero snarky looking human avatars, so I went with the one that was closest.


Wood Elf Druid 2

lol. Okay. Well Anasth is a wild elf. So as tall as a human, wiry, and an accomplished warrior before his retraining. He wouldn't take kindly to someone telling him to get behind him. :P

I need to put up a description, background, and personality. Just been too busy to do so.


Male Human Rogue 2

I'm just trying to draw fire so my readied action isn't wasted. He's charging you. If you put me in the middle, I can stab him.


Wood Elf Druid 2

Ah, well since my typical combat stance is to the side of any melee fighters, I won't be in your way. Since we're only allowed a partial action though, I tried to attack. I'll add a 5 foot space back though, if that's helpful.


Roll your attack and damage jaxon.


Male Human Rogue 2

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

2d8 + 6 ⇒ (6, 1) + 6 = 13

I have a feeling this is going to hurt.


M Human Bard (Eldritch Might Variant) 2

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 14
Initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Alder says nothing, but steps to one side and looses an arrow at the attacker.

5-foot step if necessary to get a clear line of fire, and then an attack with longbow.

Attack Roll 1d20 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 - 2 = 11
Damage Roll 1d8 ⇒ 3

I'm assuming the creature is not yet within 30 feet; if it is, add 1 to attack and damage rolls. Jaxon and Anasth, next round I'll Inspire Courage or Stun depending on what's needed, along with my attack.


The beast growls as thearrows and spear miss. It brings its club down on Jaxon's head with a loud thud.
jaxon take17 points of damage. Round 1. Everyone state your actions. Everyone acts before it.


Wood Elf Druid 2

Round 1

Anasth backs away from the large monster, cocking another arrow as he does so. He releases a primal howl in the soggy air. One that is responded to by a wolf's howl a short distance away.

Move away; Ranged Attack (into melee)
1d20 + 3 - 4 ⇒ (18) + 3 - 4 = 17
1d8 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


M Human Bard (Eldritch Might Variant) 2

Alder winces as the club strikes Jaxon. He immediately lets fly another arrow, then cries out a single, piercing note that recalls the screaming of the wind over the hills of the North.

Move action is to cast the spellnote "Stun," which stuns the creature for 1 round if its fails a Fort save (DC 14). Then he fires (into melee, but assuming now within 30 feet), hoping for a lucky hit

Attack: 1d20 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (19) + 1 - 4 = 16
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


M Human Bard (Eldritch Might Variant) 2

DM Gray: As I understand it, if the creature is stunned, that comes into effect before Alder's attack (so the -2 to AC and loss of Dex bonus would figure into that attack). But however you want to rule it; just let me know for future planning.


Male Human Rogue 2

Jaxon's down to 2 HP Ow.

Cal stagers under the blow, dropping to a knee for a moment and fighting a wave of nausea from the shock and pain.

Moving to his right he tries to set up for another thrust. "Help me flank him!

5' adjust to the right. I'd like to delay my attack for someone to flank, if possible. I'll roll now with sneak attack separate. If someone's willing to flank with me, we can just add it in.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10 +2 if I get a flanking partner

1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

sneak attack if applicable 1d6 ⇒ 1

thanks dice. thanks.


Fort Save:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
The great brute's head rolls back and the club relaxes in his grip. Alder and Anasth both pinion the beast with arrows while Jaxon stabs it with his spear.

A strange thing happens. There is a green flash and the caravan disappear. The great brute shakes off the noise and roars again.

Status:
Jaxon: -17hp
Alder:
Anasth:
Ariael:
"great brute": -18hp


Male Human Rogue 2

Second verse same as the first. Still working my way around it's right side with another 5' adjust, trying to flank.

Still reeling, Cal stabs again.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Well f#&+ you very much, dice


Male Moon Elf Ranger1(Deep Walker)

How would you like to me get involved? Was I asleep or something perhaps? or should I sit this out?


Jaxon....lmao....someguys get all the luck and apparently they stole yours too.
Ariael jump into combat. I've assumed you have been present the entire time. Assume that you are twenty feet away from the creature on the north side with Jaxon ten feet from the creature on the east side. Alder and Anasth are fifteen feet away from the creature on the north side. You may charge if you wish or move to the west side to flank with Jaxon and make one attack; however, you will provoke an attack of opportunity.

Jaxon continues to circle the great brute and stab with his spear; however, his foot slips throwing his aim off.

Ariael, Anasth and Alder are up. Anasth, your wolf should be here next round.

1 to 50 of 431 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Knights of Luruar All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.