Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


The Iron Carnival - Pentor Lionsmane's Mercenary PbP - #2 Squad

Game Master Monkeygod


301 to 350 of 1,082 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Male Human (Mwangi) Artificer 3

Torque thanks the priest again, and he and Tok leave the chapel and head back into the village towards the parked caravan. As they leave the chapel graveyard, Torque seems uncharacteristically angry

"Tok, I wish I had your talent for handing out a beating. I'd visit these idiot farmers who are idle enough to let their holdings become incapable of feeding their fellow villagers without divine favour propping them up."

Qadira

F Half-elf Inquisitor (Exorcist) 3

Acune accompanies Gremm, staff in hand.


Male Dwarf Monk/2

"Don't be so quick to anger with the farmers. Just as you were raised from birth to doubt, they were raised to believe. Until now, that belief has served them well.

Perhaps we should go spray some of your gel on their crops and see if that will answer their cries for help?"


Male Human (Mwangi) Artificer 3

As always, Torque ignores his comrade's sarcasm.

"The condensate is just raw material. Applying it on plants might repair damage, but as far as increasing yield goes it would be about as useful as burying raw meat under firewood in order to cook it. It could be used as fuel to power some sort of wide-area modification to bio-cycles, but...I have no idea how that wuld be achieved. That's beyond enhancement magic, it's permenant changes to a plant's structure. Maybe noe day I'll be able to achieve such things, but I've got a lot of experimentation to do yet."


Male Dwarf Monk/2

As Torque finishes, Tok looks at him with a confused gaze.

"So, you do want to try it out? I confess that stopped listening to your rambl - speech –before you were done. You speak of things I do not comprehend. Or want to."

Realizing that his words were harsher than he intended, Tok attempts a smile to lighten the mood.

Diplomacy Check: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2


Male Human (Mwangi) Artificer 3

Strike me down, he can even grin sarcastically


Male Weremonkey Rogue/Ranger/Trickster

Ok that's it. These interactions have made up my mind. From now on, whenever possible, the current pairings wlll be how I'll split you guys. The back n forth has been awesome to follow, well done all!!

also, since a lot has happened while I was at work and I have a few other things to toss into the mix, I will be putting my post up once I'm home as it'll be rather long

Andoran

Male Human (Varisian) Fighter 3

Oh, boy, I guess I get more "dates" with Acune! ;P


Male Human (Tian) Barbarian (Urban Barbarian, Spirit Totem) 3

Tok strikes me as one of those guys who have never smiled in their life, and when they first try it, the result is horrifying and painful to watch. Bravo!


Male Weremonkey Rogue/Ranger/Trickster

As you enjoy your run through the countryside, you soon come across another farm. This one is clearly in bad shape, the grass around you is browning, dust kicks up as you run and you don't see any sign of livestock. Since the last one seemed to be in much better condition, and you're out to gather information, you decide to make you way over to the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mirri smiles a pretty smile and sits down "Thanx, been a little busy lately. I could use a break"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The two of you wander over to the investigate what all might be going on, when all of a sudden you hear a loud whooshing sound and large boom, like a cannon. You round the corner just in time to see a cloud of purple smoke that quickly dissipates to reveal a Halfling wearing crazy, garish colors and a mask that would make Nine-Tails proud. He flips onto his hands, and begins to juggle with his feet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even though the chapel is on the outskirts of town, you two also hear the large booming sound.


Male Human (Mwangi) Artificer 3

Torque takes one look at Tok and breaks into a run, before remembering his companion and slowing to a brisk jog.

"Sounds like things have kicked off! I didn't think our first assignment would be this eventful!"

As they move back towards the buildings he draws his crossbow


Male Dwarf Monk/2

"Is this village under attack? Is there anything of value here?" Tok runs as fast as his short legs allow.


Male Human (Mwangi) Artificer 3

"I have no idea! Maybe those bandits came back in force, maybe every villager here is in league with them...maybe..."

The two mercenaries reach the village square and see the display

"...oh. Well, that's...different"

Spotting Gremm and Acune in the crowd Torque heads over to join them

"Who that? Our latest recruit?"


Male Human Sorcerer 3 (Abyssal Bloodline)

Valen returns the smile and leans in, adopting a very open and attentive posture. "Well, I'm sure you certainly deserve it. You seem like a smart young woman, certainly beutiful, surely you know about some of the things going on here. I've heard tell that the local lord has disappeared and crops seem to be failing."


Male Dwarf Monk/2

"I certainly hope he won't be joining us. We don't need a little devil trickster - we already have Valen."


Male Weremonkey Rogue/Ranger/Trickster

Mirri smiles and blushes slightly at your compliments "Crops are indeed failing and will only get worse. Nobody has been able to contact Seera, the cleric whose always made sure the land was fertile and ensured the weather was cooperative. Withour her this land will revert to the dusty, dead state that it was before Lord Grimtaur arrived" A tear escapes her eyes at the thought of such a reversal.


Male Human Sorcerer 3 (Abyssal Bloodline)

Valen nods. Hmmm, the local lord and prominent cleric both disappear. Not a coincidence. Placing a hand on Mirri's Valen gently squeezes it comfortingly. "Shed not a tear more, miss, my companions and I shall look into the matter. Tell me, have you seen or heard of anyone in the area who odd or new. Perhaps someone who seemed to take an interest or ask questions about Lord Grimtaur or Seera? Anyone at all?"


Male Weremonkey Rogue/Ranger/Trickster

The young lady tries to answer you, but the tears just get worse. Through her sniffles she manages to excuse herself, then hurries off. A few moments later, Helena comes back over and sits down where Mirri was "Please fogive her, her father was one of the first to go and investigate what might happened to Grimtaur and hasn't been heard from since. While its only been a few months, their farm has been hit badly already, so she's been working extra long days here. Her younger brother does odd jobs around town, but its getting worse for all of us. As if all that was bad enough, there's rumors of the restless dead and angry spirits roaming the land at night." She surpresses a shudder at this.


Male Human Sorcerer 3 (Abyssal Bloodline)

Valen listens to the young woman growing concerned as she bursts into tears and leaves. Listening to Helena Valen nods. A missing lord and cleric, crops going bad, missing townsfolk, and undead? Things are much more serious than I thought. "It's no problem. I can understand her concern. Helena, have you see anyone new in town? Potentially someone acting suspicious or asking a lot of questions regarding Lord Grimtaur or Mother Seera? Anyone at all?"


Male Human (Tian) Barbarian (Urban Barbarian, Spirit Totem) 3

Nine Tail will make a slow circuit around the farmhouse looking for any signs of activity. He is wary as an abandoned house is a good place for bandits to gather.

If satisfied of its safety, he will move in closer for a look into the house and any outbuildings.


Male Human Sorcerer 3 (Abyssal Bloodline)

Hahaha, Nine Tail you're just asking to get taken hostage or proc combat.


Male Weremonkey Rogue/Ranger/Trickster

If I was a jerk GM, maybe. But since I'm not, Nine Tails is in "stealth mode" and thus his agrro gen is way down :-)

Helena laughs a bit at Valen's question "You mean besides you and your buddy?? No, not really. That's what makes this so strange, its like all of a sudden Grimtaur vansished and at the same time, we lost contact with Seera."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As you near the house, you see a woman hanging laundry out back. She sees you and picks up a broom, holding it in a clumsy attempt to look meanecing. "Stay back, I warn you. I've had enough of you bandits stealing my livestock!" She tries tries to sound threatening, but it comes out more pleading than anything else.

Qadira

F Half-elf Inquisitor (Exorcist) 3

"I have no idea who the halfling is. A performer, no doubt. We've all been getting jumpy," she adds dryly. "But he might have information; we could ask him once the show is over."


Male Dwarf Monk/2

"Why wait for that? He'll probably try to slip away once he's done. I say we go ahead and grab him now."


Male Human Sorcerer 3 (Abyssal Bloodline)

Valen chuckles lightly at Helena's comment and nods. "That is odd. Do Grimtaur and Seera have any connection between them?"


Male Weremonkey Rogue/Ranger/Trickster

The little man continues his act, spinning several balls into the air faster and faster, until they become a blur, then he jumps and flips 360 and lands on his feet. He then throws all five balls up high and each one explodes into a small fireworks display. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to announce the return of the Circus of the Shadowed Sun. We have been gone for a year and I know you all have missed us, but we are now back for your entertainment and joy. Come one, come all to the greatest, craziest, most fun you'll ever have.....until next year of course" The crowd laughs and begin to drop some coins into the hat he holds out. You all quickly realize that it would be a very bad idea to grab the man, no matter what he may or may not know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Helena shakes her head "Nothing but rumors. Some say they were lovers, or siblings. Others that she was his daughter, or that he rescued her along time ago and they were just close friends."


Male Human Sorcerer 3 (Abyssal Bloodline)

"Hmm, but nothing concrete. When did the sightings of the undead start?"


Male Human (Tian) Barbarian (Urban Barbarian, Spirit Totem) 3

Nine Tail holds his hands where the woman can see them and calls out, "I am looking for bandits myself. I am with a caravan that had a run in this morning. We wiped out that batch, but I was sent to find how bad the problem is and why the Lord Grimtaur is doing nothing about it?"


Male Dwarf Monk/2

After the display is complete, Tok turns to Torque. "Torque, tell Acune and Gremm what we've learned about the situation. You can leave out your judgements of the ignorant and our fascinating discussion about your goo."

Tok focuses his attention on the halfling, trying to determine if anything is out of the ordinary with his behavior or the behavior of those around him.

Perception Check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


Male Weremonkey Rogue/Ranger/Trickster

Helena nods "Yea nothing for sure. Seera was pleasant, but didn't really talk about what brought her here, beyond being asked by Grimtaur. As for the undead, I would say about a month and a half ago we started hearing rumors about them. I'm not sure if anybody really saw them or if they were spooked by normal bandits or even animals, but whatever is being seen has been frequent enough that most of us won't leave the town after sunset, and if we do, we try to go out with as many friends as possible."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The woman keeps the broom pointed at you, but lowers it a bit. Then she sighs heavily "Its bad, our land is no longer cared for by our cleric and its dying, reverting back to how it used to be. My farm has been the first to fall, shortly after my husband attempted to find out what happened to our lord and went missing."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nothing appears out of the ordinary, Tok. It seems that the people are geniunly entertained by the Halfling. As people give him a few coins, he jokes with them, doing a couple of simple magic tricks to amuse the children.


Male Human Engineer 1/Gamer 4

"This village was the pet project of a high-end retired mercenary called Grimatar. He and his band built a keep in this region after clearing a monster infestation for the local count. Grimatar was the only one who stayed in the keep. It's east of here, near the border with Lozeri and south of Lepidstadt, if we're going to check it out"

Torque pauses and watches the antics of the halfling for a moment, noting that the folk in this village could do with a distraction from their troubles.

"From what I can tell he was never officially made the lord of these parts, but he invested his own money into the village, particularly the tavern. He hired lesser mercenaries for security and visited at the start of every month. He stopped visiting four months ago, around the same time as the cleric stopped doing the farmer's jobs for them"

Torque drops a gold coin into the hat as it passes him

"You've got to admire people like this. There must be more profitable stops for them, but they choose to cheer people up in hard times. Good name too. A bit of shade is always welcome, after all."

Andoran

Male Human (Varisian) Fighter 3

"Hail, circus boy!" yells out Gremm. "Know you any song or dance? While I'm a fan of your juggling and bouncing around, I'll pay coin for a good jig."


Male Human Sorcerer 3 (Abyssal Bloodline)

Valen nods thinking for a moment and finishes his drink. He reaches into his belt pouch and 6 gold pieces. He passes two to Helena. "These are for your hospitality and the useful information," he says pleasantly. He holds up the remaining four gold pieces as his voice becomes more somber but serious. "This is for Miri and her family. Please let her know that my companions and I will do all we can to help your village and that I will personally find out what happened to her father. And that I shall do whatever I can to bring him back. Please tell her to take care and have hope. Never stop having hope." Standing Valen turns to Jax who has been oddly quiet. "Come Jax, I think it is time we met up with the rest of the squad." Turning to Helena he bows and kisses her hand lightly again. "Lady Helena, thank you for your time and hospitality. I know I have personally greatly appreciated it," Valen says with a roguish smile and a wink. Turning Valen makes his way out of the Golden Lion and into the street to the rondevouz point.


Male Human (Tian) Barbarian (Urban Barbarian, Spirit Totem) 3

Nine Tail pulls the mask off the top of his head in deference. "What was your husband's name? My squad was thinking of finding out why the Lord went so quiet. We could ask around about your husband as well."


Male Dwarf Monk/2

"I'm tired of this. Are we ready to go back to caravan and meet up with the others or is there more for us to do here?"


Male Human (Mwangi) Artificer 3

Torque's features return to normal, though his hideous true form lingers in the memories of his comrades

"I think we know enough. We shall see if our employer thinks it's worth paying us to investigate this matter, maybe stabalize a region he travels through regularly. Though I say we should look into it regardless. These people need our help, and few bands like us will pass through here"

Qadira

F Half-elf Inquisitor (Exorcist) 3

"Agreed."


Male Weremonkey Rogue/Ranger/Trickster

Helena smiles hugely, than give you a kiss on the cheek for luck and thanks. You and Jax meet up with the others and catch the tail end of their conversation Tok's post down

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"His name is Tyth, and if you could find him my children and I would be so thankful. But please try and find out what happened to Seera. Before she came along, our land was barren and dead, the victim of a second, smaller sky falling like what hit Numeria. Thankfully the town was built along a main trade route and so we could sustain ourselves, though it was always a struggle. Then the cleric came and with her magic she was able to coax the land to be productive again. Now we seem to be reverting back to how it used to be with her missing"


Male Human Gunslinger (Gun Tank)/ Lvl 3

"Pretty smoothly done Mage. I may not pin our ears to a table after all! So it seems we have some work to do here," ambling along slowly, Jax tightens the straps on his armor, before checking over his weaponry. "I do not know what the rest found but I will be requesting that we spend tonight and tomorrow in this village, to aid in whatever way we can. Hopefully the Corporal can see the necessity for this!"


Male Human Sorcerer 3 (Abyssal Bloodline)

Valen smiles and straightens himself. Hmm, maybe he isn't so bad after all. "Thank you Jax. I've been know to be quite charming and capable of gathering information from time to time." Valen's expression turns from smiles and charm to a more serious and hardened expression. "But I completely agree. There is something plaguing this town and I personally think it is our duty to help solve the problem. If the Corporal can't see the obvious need of us here, then, I may just have to stay behind." The dire expression and tone are quickly replaced with his normal smile and charm. "Of course when we solve this little mystery I'm sure not only the town but some of the town's residents will be especially grateful and insist on repaying us personally."


Male Dwarf Monk/2

"Look into it regardless? You are noble. But I'm not sure our employer would appreciate our abandoning our post. We have been hired to accompany the caravan. Shouldn't we complete that contract first?"


Male Human (Mwangi) Artificer 3

"Let's just see what the client says. Like I told the preacher, it's in a merchant's interests to make sure the roads he travels are secure. This place is only going to keep going downhill until hiring mercenary escorts is a requirement rather than a precaution."

Torque looks thoughtfully down the street at the caravan

Fury, Valen, how about we go and see if the merchant will listen to our professional oppinion. If he doesn't, Tok's right. If we don't follow our contract our entire company's rep will suffer for it"

Torque heads off towards the parked caravan


Male Weremonkey Rogue/Ranger/Trickster

Waiting on Nine Tails reply to wrap this up. Once you are all together I'll try to post a summary of the important info you each learned, though if somebody else offers, I would not mind. Note that you all got some info that nobody else did, so keep that in mind if you decide to help with the summary


Male Human Sorcerer 3 (Abyssal Bloodline)

Nodding Valen follows Torque. "I completely agree. These people obviously need our help. To be honest I would loathe the fact if we left these people in such dire need."


Male Human (Tian) Barbarian (Urban Barbarian, Spirit Totem) 3

"Well, I can't promise anything, but we will look into it." I think, he adds to himself.

He puts his mask back atop his head and seems about to set out but stops. "You said a smaller starfall. Was that around here? Just wondering about the connection to the land".


Male Weremonkey Rogue/Ranger/Trickster

The woman nods "Yes, it was around here or so we've been told. I don't really know much, beyond idle gossip. Our mayor however knows a good deal more, you should go visit him if you want to know more" You agree it might be a good idea, then trot off at a prisk pace towards the caravan where you meet up with the rest of the squad.

As th sun is low in the sky, the caravan master decides to make camp here and return to the road the next morning. You all gather around a campfire to share what you've learned.

will try to get a summary post up later tonight, unless somebody beats me to it. Also, please head to discussion thread, will have an important post there as well.


Male Human Gunslinger (Gun Tank)/ Lvl 3

"Pity the Merchant isn't a woman. I'd hazard a guess that the Mage here could charm his way in and out of her skirts and still get us what we want on top of that!" laughing softly, Jax claps the man on his shoulder playfully.

"Your round at the Tavern next time Mage. Right. lets be to business!" Fiddling with the straps on his armor again, Jax strolls after Torque, hand resting lightly on the pommel of the shortsword at his waist.

'He didn't embarrass me, the Squad of old Two Bears. I may make a damn fine soldier out of him yet!'

Qadira

F Half-elf Inquisitor (Exorcist) 3

Acune, of course, follows back towards camp, mentally running through the possible events at the lord's keep; if they happen to go.


Male Human (Mwangi) Artificer 3

The disappearance of Lord Grimatar, the protector of the village, has sent it into a downward spiral

Lord Grimatar

- ex mercenary who was rewarded with a keep to the east of the village after slaying a monster in Shudderwood

- Keep is 'east of here, near the border with Lozeri and south of Lepidstadt'

- hired a cleric to ensuer the town's farms were productive

- hired guards to watch over the village

- invested money in the Golden Lion Inn

- Never collected taxes

- missed his visits, usually on the first of every month, four months in a row

Cleric Seera

- follower of Senrae

- Fell out of contact at the same time as Grimatar

- Divine weather effects ceased at that time

- She is connected to Grimatar somehow. "Some say they were lovers, or siblings. Others that she was his daughter, or that he rescued her along time ago and they were just close friends."

The Village

- holds a chapel venerating Abadar, Erastil and Sarenrae

- hosts the circus of the shrouded sun once per year

- The Golden Lion Inn is situated there

Issues

- Messengers sent to Grimatar's keep, haven't returned (one was the father of the barmaid Miri)

- Bandits hired to investigate Grimatar's keep, haven't returned

- Undead possibly appearing in the surrounding land

- Land is naturally barren due to an event similar to the Numerian starfall but much smaller and more localized

- Livestock is being stolen by bandits


Male Human (Tian) Barbarian (Urban Barbarian, Spirit Totem) 3

Great Summary there Torque. Good Job!. Nine Tail also met farmer who is missing her husband. I had missed the bit about the hired Bandits. Thanks.

301 to 350 of 1,082 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Iron Carnival (VoA's Merc game) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.