Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

The Horror, the horror

Game Master Revvy Bitterleaf

Von Richten Mansion

Town of Ravengro

Harrowstone


1 to 50 of 201 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Scarab Sages

It is cold and dark outside as the wind blows through the trees causing what little left over dry leafs that are stubbornly sticking to the branches are starting to drift down to the wet, muddy ground below the tree trunks.

You read through the letter you received once more; the famous Professor Von Richten, the expert on creatures of the night and how to vanguish them has passed away and you have been invited to the reading of his will.

Scarab Sages

Letter to Razagal:

Dear Razagal,

As you are well aware by now, my employer; Professor Von Richten has passed away. He remembers well the time you sold him an elixer to ward of lycantropes. Unfortunately he never had the chance to test out if the potion works on the creatures before his demise, but it was his dying wish that his collection of various plants and extracts go towards someone who has both the knowledge and the drive to use them in the fight against the creatures of the night.

I hereby invite you for a reading of the Professors will, with the assurance that there will be something in it for you if you choose to accept.

Regards,

Kendra Lorrimer

Scarab Sages

Letter to Tom:

Dear Tom,

As you might be aware by now, my employer; Professor Von Richten has passed away.

Going through his belongings I found his ledger and it turns out that you are still owed for the last job you did in assisting the good Professor in his search for rare material to be used to combat the creature of the night.

I hereby invite you for a reading of the Professors will, with the assurance that there will be compensation in it for you as final payment.

Regards,

Kendra Lorrimer

Scarab Sages

Letter to Radha:

Dear Radha,

As you are aware of by now my employer; Proffesor Von Richten has passed away.

It has fallen to me to make arrangements for his will.

The Professor always spoke highly of you and looked forward to the letters you send him.

So it should come as no surprise to you that you are named in the will.

If you were to attend the reading I assure you that it will be well worth your time.

Regards,

Kendra Lorrimer


Male Half-elf Bard 1
Stats:
HP: 9/9 AC16 (FF13/T13/CMD 12) | Fort+0, Ref+5, Will+3 | Init+3 | Perc.+7; Low-light 60ft

Razagal is thinking aloud in his wagon, as he reads the missive on the table in front of him:
"A letter from van Richten? He's dead? I.. Oh, good, it's not because of me.
His herb lore was quite impressive, and to get my hands on his collection...

Hmm, the letter does not have a date mentioned for the reading of the will. I hope I can make it there in time.
It was time I left this horrid collection of hovels and their small-minded inhabitants anyway - some of them were really starting to give me some suspicious looks."

"On to Middleport! I'm sure they've forgotten that incident by now.. wonder what has become of the old place."

He jumps outside with renewed energy and vigorously starts dissembling and packing his stall.

One thought jars his mind: "How did van Richten know where to find me? And how did he know my real name??"


Female Gnome Gunslinger 1
Stats:
HP: 13/13 AC16 (FF13/Touch14/CMD12) | Fort+4, Ref+5 Will+3 | Init+4 | Perc.+9; Low-light vision

OoC: Waar woont Proffesor Von Richten?


Female Gnome Gunslinger 1
Stats:
HP: 13/13 AC16 (FF13/Touch14/CMD12) | Fort+4, Ref+5 Will+3 | Init+4 | Perc.+9; Low-light vision

Radha wipes away a tear as she lays down the letter. "He was such a nice and strange man" Radha thinks.

She finishes the last adjustment to her gun. Then packs her stuff on Phillip, kisses her father and Gowri goodbye and heads towards the Von Richten Manor.


Male Half-elf Bard 1
Stats:
HP: 9/9 AC16 (FF13/T13/CMD 12) | Fort+0, Ref+5, Will+3 | Init+3 | Perc.+7; Low-light 60ft

OoC: Razagal is eerder in deze stad en vergelijkbare steden geweest. Hij is op zoek naar een vermomming die hem in staat stelt polshoogte te nemen en vragen te stellen zonder op te vallen.
Stel dat hij zich voordoet als eenvoudige jonge boerenzoon (of dochter), kan hij zich dan makkelijk mengen onder de locale bevolking, ook als ze hem niet direct kennen?


Male Human
Ranger 1:
HP: 12/12 AC17 (FF13/Touch14/CMD17) | Fort+3, Ref+6 Will+3 | Init+6 | Perc.+6; Fav. Eenemy Undead

Tom is sitting in the corner of his favorite inn in town.

Damn this, I finally had a client who paid me on a regular basis and who I could trust to use the materials for good.

He is thinking of the salves the Professor made to help him vanquish some undeads. A week ago Tom had to use it all when he was clearing a a large group of zombies in the forest.

Next time it might not be so easy to destroy these unnatural things without the help of the Professor

After some hours of drinking and observing other patrons Tom gets up and goes to his room. Before he goes to sleep he reads the letter another time.

The next morning he gets up, have some breakfast and goes off to the professors house for the reading.

Scarab Sages

K, gonna play out Razagal's investigation (shouldn't mess up the time line I think), but let's do the arrival to the mansion already

As Tom and Radha make their trek across the country to the Von Richten Mansion the air and general atmosphere seems to mimic their mood. Their is a slight drizzle which muddies the ground they walk upon. It's just about getting light so most of their trip is shrouded in twilight. The early morning dew is causing a light fog to rise from the bottom.

The mist isn't hampering any views ahead as it's only rising to about ankle height, but it seems unusual dense for some reason..but that's surely a trick of the light. You feel a slight chill in the air and you can't help but shudder involuntarily.

---------------------------------------------------

Tom arrives slightly before Radha and as he knocks on the door of the Mansion Radha catches up to him just as the knock is answered by someone on the other side of the door.

The door slowly opens with a creaking sound.
On the other side is a woman. Her eyes are red and puffy and she is dressed in dark, conservative clothes. Trim and attractive she greets you with a mix of curiosity, sadness and relief.

Sense motive DC 5:
Her reaction seems genuine. She seems glad someone showed up, even if it surprises her a little bit to see anyone.

"Oh goodness, someone came. I was getting worried nobody would show up for the reading. Especially with things the way they are in town these days."

"But I forget myself,allow me to introduce myself; I am Kendra, Kendra Lorrimer. Who might you be?" she says as she brushes a stray strand of hair back behind one of her ears.


Male Human
Ranger 1:
HP: 12/12 AC17 (FF13/Touch14/CMD17) | Fort+3, Ref+6 Will+3 | Init+6 | Perc.+6; Fav. Eenemy Undead

The way things are in town these days? What does she mean by that.

Hello Kendra, I am Tom. I used to run different errant for the professor from time to time. What did you mean with the way things are in town these days?

Just as Tom asks the question he realizes he is being pretty blunt.

And of course my condolences. He was a good man.


Male Half-elf Bard 1
Stats:
HP: 9/9 AC16 (FF13/T13/CMD 12) | Fort+0, Ref+5, Will+3 | Init+3 | Perc.+7; Low-light 60ft

disguise: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
bluff: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30
knowledge local: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Not wanting to risk anyone recognizing him, Razagal settles on disguising himself as a young moderately attractive peasant girl called Julia Hawkins - named after the Hawkins family he knows lives a ways away from the village of Ravengro. He arrives in the village, sitting side-saddle on his mule, its saddlebags laden with fresh fruits for the market. Julia has an air of a naive peasant girl who doesn't get outside of the farmstead much and who is enamored with the local celebrity dr. van Richten. On the market she tries to hawk her wares and listen in to gossip, occasionally steering the conversation towards the famous professor.

(Ooc)How he responds afterwards depends on the rumors and general atmosphere in the village.


Female Gnome Gunslinger 1
Stats:
HP: 13/13 AC16 (FF13/Touch14/CMD12) | Fort+4, Ref+5 Will+3 | Init+4 | Perc.+9; Low-light vision

Hi Tom! Are you here also? Radha says as catches up with him at the door. She only then notices Kendra and introduces flustered herself : Oh euh, I'm Radha Vexratchett. I was invited to the reading of the will. My condolences to you. It seems I brought approriate weather for grim tidings like these... .

Scarab Sages

@Razagal btw, if you write [ooc]text[/ooc ] zonder die laatste spatie dan wordt de hele tekst blauw en valt het iets meer op tussen de rest van de tekst

Razal manages to deliver a stunning display of showmanship in dressing up a a young moderately attractive peasant girl called Julia Hawkins.

After riding into town Razagal get's the impression that there is a general sense of uneasiness around town. Everyone seems to be in a hurry to get from place to place, children are hustled indoors by their parents and their seems to be a lack of gossiping women at various location. In any town you'd expect people to gather outside, in stores, etc. to meet each other and exchange the latest gossip and rumors about who's courting whom and who has the best chance at winning the price for best pig at the fair this year.

You don't think anyone notices anything odd about you and you feel like you could blend in pretty decently without raising suspicions. Your knowledge local doesn't give you anything other then what's written above, but you could use it to get specific knowledge if you want to know something, or Diplomacy (gather information) if you want to ask someone instead of remembering yourself.

I'm also fine with a general diplomacy or knowledge local roll to try to see if you can pick up any interesting rumor(s) just by hanging around a bit

Scarab Sages

"Thank you for your condoleance Tom. Yes, he was a good man. The best man I've ever known."

Kendra looks up at the skies as Radha mentions the weather.

"The weather has been like this for a few days now, and it seems it isn't going to get better anytime soon...but yes, it does feel appropriate for a funeral."

An eerie wind blows past as an ominous sign as the weather is mentioned. What are the odds of that happening? The hair at the back of your neck stand on edge...from the cold wind blowing.

"Speaking of the funeral, I hope you don't mind..but I..well, that would mean us..we, are running a bit late for it. It's planned to start in a few minutes. We'd better be leaving or we will be late."

She reaches behind her and takes a key from a ring hanging inside as she collects her coat from a hanger near the door.

"If you have any traveling gear you wish to leave behind for now you can place them in the hallway, you can collect them after the funeral when we return. They should be quite safe inside. The reading of the will wil be at the end of the funeral when we return here later today."

She waits for you to place your belonging inside before closing and locking the door behind her.


Female Gnome Gunslinger 1
Stats:
HP: 13/13 AC16 (FF13/Touch14/CMD12) | Fort+4, Ref+5 Will+3 | Init+4 | Perc.+9; Low-light vision

Is it ok if I put Phillip here? Radha asks as she ties her goat at a tree (out of reach of all the precious looking plants). She pulls a strap on the saddle backs, which instantly transforms them in a handy backpack and lays it inside, under the coatrack.

She then straightens her clothes as much as possible, pulls out a fancy, black jacket and puts it on.

I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

She offers Kendra her arm as she gestures Tom to hurry.


Male Half-elf Bard 1
Stats:
HP: 9/9 AC16 (FF13/T13/CMD 12) | Fort+0, Ref+5, Will+3 | Init+3 | Perc.+7; Low-light 60ft

diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

Julia attracts the attention of a passing young man and gives him a helpless smile:

Excuse me, but could you help me please? I've traveled all the way from our farm with these lovely pears to sell at the fair, but all the stalls at the market were empty when I arrived.. Could you please tell me what is going on?

She shivers slightly and pulls her cloak tighter around her shoulders.
I was really hoping I would be able to sell everything quickly so I would have a chance to see the famous dr. van Richten with my own eyes! I was so looking forward to that, ever since I was a young girl I have been listening to all the wonderful stories of his adventures...

She sighs dreamily, then refocuses.
Can I interest you in a juicy pear? They are really sweet, you'll love the taste!

Ik probeer het gesprek te sturen naar wat er aan de hand is in de stad en naar van Richten. Ik weet niet of het handig is om het gesprek volledig uit te spelen of niet. Razagal zal ongeveer hetzelfde verhaal gebruiken bij verschillende mensen die hij aanspreekt. Kijk maar wat jou het leukst lijkt :)

Scarab Sages

The young man's - who introduces himself as Jack Nimble - first instincts seem to be to dash off as he is approached, but seeing the smile on Julia's face convinces him to spend some time in "Julia's" company.

"Oh..I'm sorry to have to tell you. Dr. Von Richten passed away a few days ago..terrible accident that was. I think they are going to bury him right now."

He points somewhere over his shoulder, most likely indicating the location of the graveyard.

"Thank you for the pear"

Jack takes a bite out of it.

"..It's almost as sweet as you are.." says Jack as he blushes.

Just going to do the quick version and give you some rumors so you can catch up with the others if you want instead of playing this out in it's entirety, but feel free to ask follow-up questions and keep going if you want. I can come up with more stuff to occupy you if you wish to pursue this path ;)

With Jack as her guide Julia makes a tour around the town talking to various people and all though people seem hesitant to stay long and keep looking nervously around themselves they stick around - barely long enough - to make some small talk.

The tour starts in front of the temple of Pharasme E on the map The temple is a most elaborate building. Its eastern facade displays an intricate stained-glass mural depicting a stern Pharasma judging Count Andachi, one of Tamrivena’s most infamous previous rulers as Jack points it out to you and gives you a bit of back story about the building.

He then leads you across the bridge towards the townhall and the town square

Jack is happy to talk about the town hall D on the map which is in a classic small-town style, the people of Ravengro use this all-purpose facility for virtually everything, including council meetings, wedding receptions, and, when it rains, even the annual cook-off. Town council meetings are generally scheduled on the first Oathday of the month, and often last well into the night.

An elderly lady with white hair, rough skin and a mole on the end of her nose with 1 long hair sticking out of it tells you;
"Now and then, if you visit Harrowstone (that's the prison deary) near sundown, you can hear the ghost of the warden’s wife wailing and sobbing from somewhere within the ruins. She haunts the prison now, forever mourning her husband and attempting to frighten anyone who intrudes on the prison."

An equally elderly woman, with even more leathery skins joins in and tells you that;
"They say that Harrowstone’s executioner still guards the execution balcony on the western side of the prison, and that on some nights, his scythe can be seen patrolling the balcony on its own, as if carried by an invisible spirit."

A man with a red nose to match the color of his hair and a rather large belly walks past and comments on the conversation;
"Stories that Harrowstone is haunted are just that—stories. The ruins are still dangerous, but what folks think are ghosts are only the nasty vermin that live there."
before moving on.

Both elderly women leave soon after that heading indoors as a slight drizzle starts to set in covering the ground in a layer of mud.

Jack scuffs his feet as he looks at Julia and then over his shoulder at one of the houses

Sense motive DC 5:
He doesn't want to leave Julia..but he needs to go home.

Scarab Sages

Radha Vexratchett wrote:
Is it ok if I put Phillip here?

Kendra looks around quizzically

"Leave the goat here? Sure, that should be fine I think..just tie him to that fence over there..he can eat some of the grass of the lawn.. I think he should be fine..I mean what can go wrong with leaving a goat all by itself near a house.. yes, yes he should be fine. We won't be long..we should be back here soon enough."

She then kindly accepts the offered arm at an uncomfortable angle.

She's average for human, so even if you are the worlds largest gnome that's going to be ..unbalanced and looks more like a mother holder a child or something...but it's the thought that counts ;)


Male Half-elf Bard 1
Stats:
HP: 9/9 AC16 (FF13/T13/CMD 12) | Fort+0, Ref+5, Will+3 | Init+3 | Perc.+7; Low-light 60ft

sense motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

"Poor doctor, such a horrible tragedy. I wish you could tell me more about what happened, it must have been awful! He was such a brave man.. and kind too!"

After learning about the burial being today, Razagal realizes the reading of the will will happen soon as well. He senses that Jack is eager to go home and decides to use this to get rid of him so he can go back to his wagon and get changed.

"Oh Jack, thank you so much for the tour! I've been keeping you for far too long already...

She hugs him warmly.

"I really must be going too, it will be dark soon.. Thank you once again."

Julia waves and rides out of the village, back to where he hid the wagon.

Scarab Sages

As Jack hears Julia's question he answers; "Such a freak accident, getting hit on the head and having your brain smashed in by a falling statue of a gargoyle from one of the building...and that after fighting, not to mentioning winning against were-wolves, vampires and demons...then to come to your end like that..."

Jack might be shedding a tear as "Julia" says her goodbye..it might also just be from the rain..who can tell at this point? He stands in the street silently as he watches Julia make her way back out of town, the rain falling down on him, his clothes getting soaked and water streaming down his body....before turning around and hurrying home.

---------------------------------------------------

As Tom and Radha join Kendra on the way to the funeral they see someone approach in the distance.


Male Human
Ranger 1:
HP: 12/12 AC17 (FF13/Touch14/CMD17) | Fort+3, Ref+6 Will+3 | Init+6 | Perc.+6; Fav. Eenemy Undead

Tom places his backpack, bow and sword in the hallway and follows behind Kendra and Radha in silence.

Despite his serious demeanor and the grave situation Tom can't help but chuckle at the odd sight of the gnome offering her arm to Kendra.

I am glad the professor saw me as important to him, but I really wonder why I am invited to the reading of the will.


Male Half-elf Bard 1
Stats:
HP: 9/9 AC16 (FF13/T13/CMD 12) | Fort+0, Ref+5, Will+3 | Init+3 | Perc.+7; Low-light 60ft

Well-groomed and dressed in a top hat and simple black jacket, Razagal sets out towards van Richten's manor house at a brisk pace, afraid he'll arrive too late. Relief floods him as he sees a small group of people just leaving the house as he approaches. It look like a family, a man and a woman holding a child's hand. Something's off about them though.

As he gets closer he realizes it's not a child, but an adult gnome woman.. He quickly blinks away his surprise and walks up to the party, taking off his hat with a florid bow:
"Good evening to you all. Are you perchance on your way to the burial of the famous dr. van Richten? When I heard of his death I came as quick as I could. I hope I am not too late for the funeral."

He studies the people in front of him, and continues:

"My name is Razagal. I have had the honor to be of assistance to the doctor several times in the past with my lore of rare herbs and poultices. Might I ask who you might be?"

Scarab Sages

Kendra introduces herself as she awkwardly retrieves her hand from Radha to extend towards Razagal

"Good afternoon. I am Kendra, Kendra Lorimer.

..Razagal..I know that name. You were on the list of people I've contacted for the reading of the will. We are on our way to the funeral as we speak. You are welcome to join us. After the funeral we will return here and the reading will commence."

Just giving you a chance to interact with each other before moving on to the funeral.


Male Human
Ranger 1:
HP: 12/12 AC17 (FF13/Touch14/CMD17) | Fort+3, Ref+6 Will+3 | Init+6 | Perc.+6; Fav. Eenemy Undead

Tom turns around as another person walks towards the house.

After the half-elf introduces himself Tom returns the favor.

Hello good sir. My name is Tom and I am an acquaintance of the late professor.

His answer is short and to the point, clearly he is not someone who spend a lot of time among other people.

Tom then solemnly stares off in the distance as if remembering the professor and some of the shared past they had.

Scarab Sages

As you make your introductions to each other Kendra urges you to keep moving, the funeral was planned to start ...well, about a minute ago.

You pick up the pace, but due to someone's short legs - and the fact that you are too late already - you arrive to see an irritated looking man wearing a priest's outfit waiting next to a fine looking coffin.

"That's Father Grimburrow. I'll better go apologize" Kendra says as she picks up the pace and walks in front of you.

As Kendra approaches the man and starts to make her apologies

" Father, I'm sorry we are la.."

she is interrupted by the man.

"Yea be late. These be da polebearers yea brought with yea? Betta tell 'em to pick up the coffin and carry it to da Proffesar's last restin' place"

He then turns and starts to walk through the gates onto the cemetery fully expecting you to not only follow but also to bring the coffin in with you.

Scarab Sages

As you look where the priest is moving towards you can see a small gathering of people waiting at a grave site. A short distance apart from them are 2 men leaning on shovels.

Kendra shrugs and wraps her hands around herself before looking at you and then moving towards the front right corner of the coffin, ready to pick it up as soon as she has enough help to lift it up.

Tenzij jullie aparte dingen gaan doen zal het ieder aan 1 kant worden en 2 handen om de kist op te tillen..mocht je het om de een of andere reden echt met 1 hand willen doen dan een strength check om te kijken of het je lukt. En aangezien een gnome iets kleiner is dan de rest wordt het of de kist scheef dragen, de rest door z'n knieeen buigen of Radha boven haar hoofd (weer een strength check om te kijken of dat lukt, en een vrij hoge DC als je dat met 1 hand wilt proberen)


Female Gnome Gunslinger 1
Stats:
HP: 13/13 AC16 (FF13/Touch14/CMD12) | Fort+4, Ref+5 Will+3 | Init+4 | Perc.+9; Low-light vision

Radha tries to lift the coffin above her head to keep it horizontal

Strength: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18

Not wanting to disrupt or delay the funeral even more, she strengtherns her resolve and helps to carry it to the grave.

While walking, she looks around surprised at the small group.
Why aren't there more people here? A lovely man as the Doctor should have had the graveyard full of people. Or did people find him that excentric?

Where is the rest? she whispers to Tom. And who is this Razagal fellow?


Male Human
Ranger 1:
HP: 12/12 AC17 (FF13/Touch14/CMD17) | Fort+3, Ref+6 Will+3 | Init+6 | Perc.+6; Fav. Eenemy Undead

Tom walks with a brisk pace to the coffin and picks it up together with the others.

Radha whispers to Tom and he turns his head to answer in a whisper.

Shhhh keep your voice down to pay some respect

But she is right though, even if he was a little reclusive he had a major impact on so many of us.

So Tom decides to whisper back to Radha.

You are right though, he deserve so much more at his funeral.

He then takes a good look at the priest to size him up.

To see from which religion he is: Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (18) + 0 = 18

To see his mood/intentions: Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Scarab Sages

As Tom glances at the waiting priest he notices a spiraling symbol hanging around the man's neck.

He remembers that this is the holy symbol of Pharasma

Pharasma:
(pronounced fah-RAZ-mah) also known as "The Lady of Graves",is the goddess who shepherds recently-departed souls to their final reward. Upon death, souls migrate via the River of Souls to Pharasma's Boneyard in the Outer Sphere, which sits atop an impossibly tall spire that pierces the Astral Plane.

Pharasma makes no decision on whether a death is just or not; she views all with a cold and uncaring attitude, and decides on which of the Outer Planes a soul will spend eternity. Pharasma is also the goddess of birth and prophecy: from the moment a creature is born, she sees what its ultimate fate will be, but reserves final judgement until that soul finally stands before her. As the goddess of death and rebirth, she abhors the undead and considers them a perversion.

And going by the priests bruusk words and attitude Tom senses that the priest is a bitter old man, who most likely feels no lost love at the passing of Von Richten.

I'll assume that Razagal will also pick up the coffin with both hands and move forward

As you carry the coffin, Kendra has the job of leading the somber procession along the Dreamwake—a gravel pathway that winds through the cemetery.

As the procession reaches the halfway point along the Dreamwake, rounding a corner onto a path called the Eversleep, you see that the way ahead is being blocked by a group of a dozen surly looking locals who arrive. The tallest of these toughs is an elderly but wiry man who has the look of a former soldier about him. The whole group is carrying their farming tools (a mix of rakes, hoes, sickles, pitchforks, and hammers) with them.

As he watches you approach closer he starts to talk;
"“That’s far enough. We been talking, and we don’t want Von Richten buried in the Restlands. You can take him upriver and bury him there if you want, but he ain’t goin’ in the ground here!”

Kendra is swift to respond, her sadness swiftly transforming into anger. “What are you talking about?” she cries out. “I arranged it with Father Grimburrow. He’s waiting for us! The grave’s already been...”

“You don’t get it, woman. We won’t have a necromancer buried in the same place as our kin. I suggest you move out while you still
can. Folks are pretty upset about this right now.”

“Necromancy!? Are you really that ignorant?”


Male Half-elf Bard 1
Stats:
HP: 9/9 AC16 (FF13/T13/CMD 12) | Fort+0, Ref+5, Will+3 | Init+3 | Perc.+7; Low-light 60ft

Razagal elegantly moves to the side of the coffin and helps to carry it with al the dignity he can muster.

His eyes roam over the gathered crowd, trying to gauge the mood and looking for anything .. off
perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
sense motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

"Strange, I would have expected a much bigger turnout.. The man was a national hero for crying out loud! And the manner of his death, it really sounded like he was murdered, and not in a subtle way either. What is going on here?"


Male Half-elf Bard 1
Stats:
HP: 9/9 AC16 (FF13/T13/CMD 12) | Fort+0, Ref+5, Will+3 | Init+3 | Perc.+7; Low-light 60ft

As the crowd blocks their path, Razagal clamps down on his rising anger and tries to calm the crowd.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
"You are sadly mistaken sir, this man was a hero. If anything he has kept all the evil and foulness at bay, so that you could sleep in peace."

"Do you even have any proof that this man has ever been involved with raising the dead from their slumber? It is a dark accusation, surely you must have ample proof to back up such an ominous claim."

"Do you really intend to quarrel in your own sacred graveyard? Will your deceased kin approve when you spill innocent blood, for a false cause which is no doubt based on malign gossip?"

During his appeal, his voice becomes richer and soothing, enticing everybody to listen to reason.
Using fascinate on the crowd: Save DC 15 Will or fascinated (-4 to reaction skill checks)

Scarab Sages

Will save: 1d20 ⇒ 12

The gathered group of local people stand and listen to Razagal's words fascinated

"..well...if ya put it like that..."

Razagal's words manages to calm the thugs down enough that they sullenly disperse, shooting venomous glances at you and Kendra, but leaving the cemetery nevertheless and allowing the procession to continue.

Kendra thanks the Razagal profusely and apologizes for the assault.

"Thank you, thank you. That could have ended badly if it wasn't for you."

She then starts to move forward again until you arrive with the coffin at the designated burial plot where Father Grimburrow is waiting along with a small handful of villagers who are attending the funeral procession. Old friends of Lorrimar, they too have come to pay their respects. They consist of -as they make their introductions once you've put down the coffin - Councilman Vashian Hearthmount, Councilman Gharen Muricar, tavernkeeper Zokar Elkarid and his 13-year old son Pevrin, and Jominda Fallenbridge (Ravengro’s apothecary and one of the professor’s good friends).

Scarab Sages

Father Grimburrow gives a short sermon, then invites Kendra to say a few words about Von Richten. Kendra fights back tears and briefly
recounts a few of the Professors more courageous or self less moments, thanking everyone once again for coming.

Kendra then invites anyone else to share a few stories or remembrances

Scarab Sages

Just to point out the obvious, this is your chance to tell a story and try to impress the people present (Diplomacy, some sort of performance - oratory would work very well here, other skills can be used if you have a good enough reason to use them. Bluff for example can also work if you not only make up a story but your character makes it up as well ;)


Male Human
Ranger 1:
HP: 12/12 AC17 (FF13/Touch14/CMD17) | Fort+3, Ref+6 Will+3 | Init+6 | Perc.+6; Fav. Eenemy Undead

Tom doesn't feel the need to share before the crowd, but he listens with intent and recalls some moments he shared with Von Richten.

Meanwhile he thinks on the words of Razagal.

Murdered? Could it? Why didn't I suspect something?

Tom quickly glances over the crowd to size up the people there.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Sense motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

If he is murdered, surely the murderer would be here right?


Male Half-elf Bard 1
Stats:
HP: 9/9 AC16 (FF13/T13/CMD 12) | Fort+0, Ref+5, Will+3 | Init+3 | Perc.+7; Low-light 60ft

Razagal heeft volgens mij niets gezegd over moord.. of wat hij eerder gehoord heeft in de stad ;) Niet dat het me verder uitmaakt hoor, maar Tom zou dat niet kunnen weten


Male Half-elf Bard 1
Stats:
HP: 9/9 AC16 (FF13/T13/CMD 12) | Fort+0, Ref+5, Will+3 | Init+3 | Perc.+7; Low-light 60ft

Razagal waits patiently for the other people to speak, taking the time to compose his story.

performance (oratory): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Raz zal zeker deze gelegenheid niet laten schieten, maar ik heb nog geen mooi verhaal bedacht. In ieder geval zal het een combinatie zijn van helden verering en een mooi (heldhaftig) plaatje schetsen van zijn eigen daden. Ik ga kijken of ik de info die ik in de stad heb gehoord over zijn dood nog in het verhaal kan weven om te kijken of er iemand hier op reageert (die dus misschien meer weet over hoe hij dood is gegaan)


Male Half-elf Bard 1
Stats:
HP: 9/9 AC16 (FF13/T13/CMD 12) | Fort+0, Ref+5, Will+3 | Init+3 | Perc.+7; Low-light 60ft

Oh, het is in ieder geval deels fictief, dus als ik Bluff moet gebruiken is mijn rol 4 hoger ;)


Male Human
Ranger 1:
HP: 12/12 AC17 (FF13/Touch14/CMD17) | Fort+3, Ref+6 Will+3 | Init+6 | Perc.+6; Fav. Eenemy Undead
Razagal - Mondo the Magnificent wrote:
Razagal heeft volgens mij niets gezegd over moord.. of wat hij eerder gehoord heeft in de stad ;) Niet dat het me verder uitmaakt hoor, maar Tom zou dat niet kunnen weten

Je hebt gelijk, ik heb verkeerd gelezen. Rephrase het dan maar dat ik zelf met dat idee kom :)

Scarab Sages

None of the other people present seem to want to step forward and speak in public.

Tom notices that none of them seem to be crying He doesn't see any tears and the occasional sniff he hears could be from the cold as well as from emotions
But he does think they genuine feel sad for Von Richten's passing.

Razagal takes a few moments to composes himself and then steps forward and delivers an epic story with battles against the undead, the saving of women in distress and the gathering of treasure.

During his performance the "crowd" reacts in all the appropriate places; plinking away a tear at the sad parts, cheering at the fight scenes and laughing as the vampire is caught with his pants down.

The people present seem to relax and feel more at ease. At the end there is even a short round of applause and some comments about; I didn't know he did _that_.

Radha can still make a speech if she wants, but I'll continue with the story

Scarab Sages

After the funeral is over and Kendra has said her goodbyes to the other guests, she invites you back to Von Richten's Manor for a drink and to hear the last will and testament of Von Richten.

Von Richten's Manor is a modest residence with crowded bookshelves in every room.

You have a bit to interact with each other and get to know each other in character, but since I don't think that will impact what I'll be posting you can just insert it in your next post if you want.

Kendra isn’t sure what’s contained in the will. She produces a scroll case, shows that the professor’s personal seal is unbroken, then breaks the wax and opens the case. As she does, a small iron key falls out of the tube, clattering noisily onto the table.

Kendra looks a bit puzzled as the key falls out, but after taking a closer look it she seems to recognize it. She then takes out a scroll and begins to read.

Scarab Sages

“I, Rudolph Von Richten, being of sound mind, do hereby commit to this parchment my last will and testament. Let it be known that, with the exception of the specific details below, I leave my home and personal belongings entire to my daughter Kendra.

I know this might come as a shock to you, but I am indeed your father. I'm sorry this is how you have to find out, but I've been happy to have had you in my life"

At this point Kendra is a bit overwhelmed with emotions and has to stop for a second to wipe away a tear before she can continue to read.

"Use them or sell them as you see fit, my child.

“Yet beyond the bequeathing of my personal effects, this document must serve other needs. I have arranged for the reading of this document to be delayed until all principals can be in attendance, for I have more than mere inheritance to apportion. I have two final favors to ask.

“To my old friends, I hate to impose upon you all, but there are few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance of what it is I have to ask. As some of you know, I have devoted many of my studies to all manner of evil, that I might know the enemy and inform those better positioned to stand against it. For knowledge of one’s enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans.

“And so, over the course of my lifetime, I have seen fit to acquire a significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes, any one of which in the wrong circumstances could have led to an awkward legal situation. While the majority of these tomes remain safe under lock and key at the Lepidstadt University, I fear that a few I have borrowed remain in a trunk in my Ravengro home. While invaluable for my work in life, in death, I would prefer not to burden my daughter with the darker side of my profession, or worse still, the danger of possessing these tomes herself. As such, I am entrusting my chest of tomes to you, posthumously. I ask that you please deliver the collection to my colleagues at the University of Lepidstadt, who will put them to good use for the betterment of the cause.

“Yet before you leave for Lepidstadt, there is the matter of another favor—please delay your journey one month and spend that period of time here in Ravengro to ensure that my daughter is safe and sound. She has no one to count on now that I am gone, and if you would aid her in setting things in order for whatever she desires over the course of this month, you would have my eternal gratitude. From my savings, I have also willed to each of you a sum of one hundred gold coins. For safekeeping, I have left these funds with Embreth Daramid, one of my most trusted friends in Lepidstadt—she has been instructed to issue this payment upon the safe delivery of the borrowed tomes no sooner than one month after the date of the reading of this will.

“I, Rudolph Von Richten, hereby sign this will in Ravengro on this day

Scarab Sages

Once the will is read, Kendra puts on a brave face and thanks you again for coming and informs you that she’ll need at least a few weeks to decide if she wants to sell her family home or remain here in Ravengro—in the meantime, as stipulated by the will, she asks you to remain as well. She offers rooms in her new spacious house, promising you free room and board for the month the will requests them to remain in town, and then excuses herself to go fetch the chest mentioned in the will.

Scarab Sages

The chest itself is a relatively small object of oak and iron. Kendra, nervous about the contents, inserts the key into the lock.

The key fits the lock perfectly, and within are several old tomes and one relatively new one. The newest tome sits on the top and bears the phrase “Read me now!” scratched into the leather cover. This book is Petros Lorrimor’s journal.

The other tomes comprise the books of dangerous lore mentioned in his will—three of these have notes tucked into them indicating that they should be delivered to one Montagnie Crowl, a professor of antiquities at Lepidstadt University. The fourth, Manual of the Order of the Palatine Eye, has a note indicating it should be delivered to Embreth Daramid, a judge at the Lepidstadt Courthouse (although the note asks for this delivery in particular to be handled discreetly, and includes the address of Embreth’s home.

Scarab Sages

I'll assume you guys take a closer look at the books

Manual of the Order of the Palatine Eye: The rich purple cover contains a brass scarab set with a single eye in its center.
The book’s covers are rimmed in polished steel and clasped with a small but intricate lock, the keyhole of which appears to be for a key with a strange, triangular shaft.

On Verified Madness: This jet-black book is a treatise on aberrations and other entities found on Golarion that possess remote ties to the Dark Tapestry, the name given to the dark places between the stars in the night sky.

Serving Your Hunger This text is a copy of one of several unholy books sacred to the goddess Urgathoa. Von Richten’s notations liberally sprinkle the margins.

The Umbral Leaves This lexicon is a translation into Common of the unholy book of Zon-Kuthon.

Scarab Sages

I'll assume that you guys want to take a look at this one as well

The professor’s will does not mention his journal—it is not one of the dangerous tomes he wants delivered to Lepidstadt. The majority of the entries are relatively bland, accounting for day-to-day activities in a small town. The professor has circled several entries in the book with red ink though. The final entry, dated 17 days ago, was written on the same day the Professor’s body was found.

Scarab Sages

Enough from me for now :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Gnome Gunslinger 1
Stats:
HP: 13/13 AC16 (FF13/Touch14/CMD12) | Fort+4, Ref+5 Will+3 | Init+4 | Perc.+9; Low-light vision

Seeing the journal and his handwriting, Radha is taken back to the funeral and the letter she read from there:

- flash back to the funeral -

She stood in front of the mourners as she said solemly:
"Rudolph was a kind and generous man. He was someone with a strong opinion, but he wouldn't let that opinion get in the way of a good conversation or judge ppl for having a different one.

I sadly never got the meet him in person, although we planned to many times. His letters were always beautiful written and full of humour and wonderous insights. Let the read one of the my favourite passages.

Radha reads a paragraph of three from a letter on some strange weapon, she apparently was inventing. Something to throw fails of holy water. But what starts on the mechanics of the weapon soon turn into a elaborate and breathtaking methaphor on the struggle of good vs evil and where to stand. Some of more educated ppl in the crowd pink away a tear, just as Radha does. As she finishes reading, she carefully folds the letter, tugs it away in her jacket and leaves room for someone else to speak.

As she is walking back, she whispers at Razagal "Thanks for calming the crowd earlier. Rudy would have appreciated that.".


Male Human
Ranger 1:
HP: 12/12 AC17 (FF13/Touch14/CMD17) | Fort+3, Ref+6 Will+3 | Init+6 | Perc.+6; Fav. Eenemy Undead

Tom reads the journal and is intrigued by the doctors recent entries.

I never knew he was investigating something this big, if only he had trusted me enough I could have helped him.

Tom makes a mental node to possibly make a nightly visit to the church of Pharasma.

What would he be looking for? Whatever it is we should try to get it

Then he turns to the others.

I don't like what is in here, whatever is about to happen we need to stop it! What do you think?

1 to 50 of 201 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Horror, the horror All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.