Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


The Great (Pathfinder) Society...in Magnimar!

Game Master Eric Swanson

Shattered Star AP...undertaken by a roving band of misfits...errr scholars...errr...heroes, he he.


401 to 450 of 3,393 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

Male Dwarf Zen Archer Monk 3//Preacher 1, HP: 38/38, AC(wMA) 20 /t 16 /f 18, F 8, R 4, W 9,(+3 vs spells/poison) Init +2, PasPer 21(23 stone), Darkvision 60'

"I've no objections Master Horven. I've some equipment I'd like to obtain me self."


male Tiefling (Rakshasa Spawn) Oracle 4 Passive Perception 14

Ganer led the other two through most of the Ascendant court, in true tour guides' fashion, he related facts or stories of interest at each temple they passed. Special attention was given to the Cathedral of the Fallen. "I once found a name that was listed here three times. I was so curious about that that I looked the man up and I read the book that was written about his life. Apparenlty, he took the test three times, and each time he was thrown clear of the Temple with only minor injuries. To have survived three times in such good condition, he must have taken it as a sign becuase the then began travelling around the Inner Sea, telling his story. He died of old age, with great wealth and a very large family. I suppose he found his own immortality."

They ended up in front of the Starstone Cathedral, where Ganer explained that there had been four bridges crossing the chasm, one for each god that had entered the Cathedral as a mortal, and also that the bridge representing Aroden had collapsed, though he wasn't sure whether it was through lack of maintenance, or if there was something supernatural about the collapse. He also managed to offer a complaint about how quickly the Chelaxians had abandoned the god that gave them an empire, that came up when he explained that the building that was a temple of Aroden had been converted into a Chelish embassy. He also mentioned that, someday, long after they had parted company, Horven and Gared might want to come back here, to see if there was a new bridge to a new god.

Finally, when he was done, Ganer added, "Sadly, I can't offer a tour of shopping destinations, I'll have to follow behind on that one."

Grand Lodge

Wishes there was a Sheila Heidmarch avatar... NOT ANYMORE!!!

Reposting from the Discussion thread...

YET MORE TIME PASSES...

1 Pharast 4711 AR

As your ship pulls into the docks at the city of Magnimar, the three of you cannot help but reflect on what the last couple of years have meant in your lives. Ever since that day when you had met in the benighted courthouse and escaped there with your lives, you wondered what the next step was in your lives.

It turns out your events at the courthouse were indeed noticed by those of high stature and yet not all of them were pleased at the truth which was uncovered by your band. For while Jabrin Mord had found peace at last, the scandal which had led to his false execution was a black eye on the High Council. Needless to say, certain of those members while grateful justice was done here, were not happy with the fact there WAS a cover up to begin with. It did not reflect well on those in charge.

Not long after you returned to your various homes, you were all summoned to meet with representatives of the Absalom High Council. During your meeting the above facts were explained to you, and also enemies were made...powerful enemies. You were strongly encouraged to find a new place of residence off of the Island of Kortos before too long.

Fortunately for the four of you, another organization took an interest in your adventure: The Pathfinder Society. They were well pleased with your party's resourcefulness and ingenuity in some very difficult circumstances. They told you they were looking to expand in the Varisia area. Not having anything else better to do and realizing the distance of Varisia to Absalom would certainly put you out of reach of your enemies, you all agreed to head off to Magnimar, the City of Monuments....all except Ratcliff. He declined the offer, electing to stay in Absalom for his own reasons.

You all spent the next couple of years ensconced in the Grand Lodge training and performing minor tasks for the more senior Pathfinder agents. Now with the opening of a Pathfinder Lodge in Magnimar, the three of you have been sent to that city and to talk with the Pathfinder representatives there.

After several months of your ship voyage, you have finally arrived in Magnimar! And you barely have time to take in the sights of this wondrous city as each of you have received an engraved scrollcase containing an invitation marked with the seal of the newest Grand Lodge of the Pathfinder Society.

Opening the contents of the scroll case reveals an intriguing invitation:

Greetings, fellow seeker of adventure!

I am Sheila Heidmarch, Venture Captain of the newest Pathfinder Society lodge—and the only such lodge in Varisia at this time. You have come to my attention as someone who possesses a certain amount of skills and interests that make you an excellent addition to a highly specialized team I’m putting together for a matter of grave import, not only to the Society, but to Varisia as a whole. Please report an hour before noon to Heidmarch Manor—you will be compensated for your visit, but that reward will pale in light of the riches that await you should we come to an agreement on my proposition to you. I look forward to meeting you soon!

Signed•—Sheila Heidmarch

It is not hard to find Heidmarch Manor, as it is located in the Alabaster District of Magnimar, not far from the city’s easternmost gate. You note the manor grounds are surrounded by a stone wall, but the front gate hangs open during the day—visitors are always welcome to the manor, which has recently come to double as the first Pathfinder Lodge in Varisia.

As you arrive,you are greeted by a scribe dressed in the official uniform of the Pathfinder Society and are asked to wait in the foyer, as Sheila Heidmarch is finishing up a meeting with a visitor who recently arrived just before yourselves. He then informs you Sheila has been made aware of your arrival and will be joining you shortly. Also waiting for you are 2 young female Pathfinders, judging by their clothing.

Carlina and Yamyra, both of you received the same invitation and are waiting in the foyer as well.

OK this is your chance to introduce yourselves to each other. Go ahead and post your introduction, description, do some RPing, etc. Once you are done I will continue with the real meeting :)


Male Halfling Rogue 4, Passive Perception = 20, AC = 19, T = 15, FF = 15, HP= 26/26

"Ah, it seems like we're not the only ones Lady Heidmarch is appealing to. Must be fairly important, I guess. Either that or there's plenty of money to go around," Horven says with a sly grin.

Horven straightens his long brown hair and approaches the two young ladies. "Salutations, I am Horven Graveltoes. I assume we will be working together for Venture-Captain Heidmarch?"

He nervously offers a hand in greeting. It had been a while since he had to make professional acquaintances. Horven's expression is one of recollection and discomfort.

The last time I met people I had to work with...hm, that was a bloody affair.


Outsider Eidolon (Biped) 4, HP: 23/27, AC 15 /t 11 /f 14, F 4, R 2, W 3, Init +1, PasPer 16, Darkvision 60'

A whimsical, feminine statue; perhaps intended to represent one of the lesser-known Celestial Patrons of Magnimar stands not-quite in the corner nearest the entry gate; oddly placed, as though not yet set in it's permanent location. the impression of impermanence is heightened, both by the lack of a pedestal, and by the cloth draped over the top of the head of the statue, as if carelessly flung there by a passing workman.
A small, clearly feminine, figure sits beside the statue, taking advantage of the illumination from the open entry gate to read a book almost as large as she is, using the statue as a book rest.


Halfling Summoner 4, HP 25/25, AC 12/t 12/f 11, F 2 /R 3 /W 4, Init +1, PasPer 11, Sp (1st) 0/5 (2nd) 0/2, SMI&II 8/8

The seated figure is probably a halfling, although it is difficult to tell, given that she (clearly a she, neither boys nor men have curves like that) is draped in clothes reminiscent of a Keleshite maiden, concealing everything but her eyes, hands & the tips of her idly waving toes, which peek out from the hem of the garment.
Sighing, as if at an interruption, she holds up one finger, perhaps to mean 'hold that thought' and places a rather elegant strip of stiffened fabric in between the pages, then closes the Tome over the fabric. As she looks into your eyes, Horven, you realize you have seldom seen eyes quite as brilliant as hers. Not hazel, not green, not brown, not amber; somehow all those colours at once, but at the same time each distinct, not muddied together.

"You presume. I am here, now, because mistress Heidmarch said she needed me to return Ipswick's treatise 'On Thassilonian Architecture & Common Dweomers Thereof'. She," pointing to the attractive, somewhat vacant-eyed, young woman seated nearby, "probably will be working with you."
Leaning forward, "She's a bit, simple, if you know what I mean. But she has a good heart, Fancy says, so no tommy-knockery."

Sighing again, "I apologize, that was rude of me. My only excuse is that Ipswick is a very dense read, very...
Abstruse, I suppose you might say. It doesn't help that Architecture isn't my strong suit & I was hoping to finish the book before Sheil...
ahem, Mistress Heidmarch, needed it back."

Standing, (yup, definitely a Halfling, the head isn't disproportionate enough to be a Gnome), she offers her hand, (it's a nice hand, delicate, nails clean & neatly trimmed, some light calluses but clearly none from hard labour). I'm Yamyra, Yamyra Anafa. Yes, I'm a Pathfinder, but Sheila mostly makes use of my talents in the Library." She seems to have forgotten the familiarity in her introduction. Obviously, she wasn't trained in the Grand Lodge.

I am acting on the idea that Yamyra recieved the invitation, but already having some experience with the Lodge in Magnimar, she assumed she knew what the scroll said without actually reading it. (Low Wisdom, go figure...) Which is why she said what she did to Horven. Boy is she going to be surprised.
Heh, heh, heh.


Male Dwarf Zen Archer Monk 3//Preacher 1, HP: 38/38, AC(wMA) 20 /t 16 /f 18, F 8, R 4, W 9,(+3 vs spells/poison) Init +2, PasPer 21(23 stone), Darkvision 60'

Gared watches the exchange, giving a nod and smile to his towering (by comparison anyway) tiefling companion before moving to Horven's side with a somewhat uneasy step. The long voyage had taken his land legs from him, and he was still working on getting them back.
As the tanned dwarf managed to approach the pair of halflings with some semblance of grace, he picked up on Horven's nervousness and put a hand on his shoulder subtly in support. The nightmarish experience in the lighthouse still left it's mark on the three companions, even with years gone by.

"It's fine to meet you both, whatever the circumstances may be." The dwarf nodded and smiled down at Anafa and up to the other woman who obviously had some sort of fiendish blood running through her veins.
Gared withheld a chuckle. The last two years had done him good, his dwarven accent fading to almost nothing with the exception of times of stress, and he felt at ease around Ganer and Horven in a way he hadn't felt in years.

"Might you know what sort of task the venture captain has called us here for?"queried the dwarf.


Male Dwarf Zen Archer Monk 3//Preacher 1, HP: 38/38, AC(wMA) 20 /t 16 /f 18, F 8, R 4, W 9,(+3 vs spells/poison) Init +2, PasPer 21(23 stone), Darkvision 60'

Also, knowledge history check on Thassilon vaguely associated with their architecture. Lets see what this old dwarf knows! 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20


Female Tiefling (Demonspawn) Sorcerer 4 (Abyssal) PP=11 HP: 33/33 AC 18 (Touch 12, FF 16) Claws 7/9

Carmina snaps out from whatever she was thinking, and looks up with a confused expression, her gaze passing over the halfling. After a few seconds, she finally notices Horven, and extends her hand to the halfling, flashing a toothy smile. An unsettingly toothy smile.

"Hi! My name is Scarnetti, Carmina Scarnetti. Yes, one of those Scarnettis. Or at least I was. Most of them would probably deny it now." She remains silent a moment, as if being sad. (In fact, she is merely thinking what to say next.) "Oh yes! You got that letter from Mistress Heidmarch too? I can't wait to see where we are sent! Oh, and hi, Mr.Dwarf!"

Her enthusiasm overcoming her, she almost jumps up from her seat and starts nervously walking back and forth the foyer. After a while, she notices the strange statue in the corner. Was it there when she arrived? Being of a curious disposition, she lifts the cowl to see the statue better.


Male Halfling Rogue 4, Passive Perception = 20, AC = 19, T = 15, FF = 15, HP= 26/26

Horven looks a little disconcerted as Yamyra's comments go several places at once. He sighs to himself, but smiles as Gared reassures him. He turns his attention to Carmina.

"I can't say that I'm familiar with the Scarnettis, forgive me. I shall just have to take you at your word, if that's alright," Horven replies with a gentle laugh.


Halfling Summoner 4, HP 25/25, AC 12/t 12/f 11, F 2 /R 3 /W 4, Init +1, PasPer 11, Sp (1st) 0/5 (2nd) 0/2, SMI&II 8/8

Aside to Carmina, "They just came off a ship from far away dear. They likely don't know about those Scarnettis."

In response to Gared's inquiry, "Assuming it has to do with this," as she prods the tome next to her with a dainty toe, "I would imagine someone's found another Thassilonian ruin."
"I'm not much up on field work, to be honest."
She confesses, a bit abashedly. "No dear, that's Fancy, you've already me..." As Carmina lifts the cloth...


Outsider Eidolon (Biped) 4, HP: 23/27, AC 15 /t 11 /f 14, F 4, R 2, W 3, Init +1, PasPer 16, Darkvision 60'

As the cloth slides away from the figure's head, a brilliant arcane sigil flares forth upon her brow for all to see. Smiling, she tilts her head as she looks into Carmina's eyes. "Hello, miss Carmina. It is well that we greet each other this day." Turning to face Horven & Gared, each in turn, "As Yamyra indicated, I am called Fancy. The young man miss Yamyra is awkwardly flirting with has named himself, you are?" She asks Gared, extending a vastly disproportionate hand in greeting.


Halfling Summoner 4, HP 25/25, AC 12/t 12/f 11, F 2 /R 3 /W 4, Init +1, PasPer 11, Sp (1st) 0/5 (2nd) 0/2, SMI&II 8/8

"FANCY! Shush!" Yamyra cries at the eidolon's unasked-for revelation. "She doesn't always understand..."
"common..."
"courtesy..."
Yamyra trails off in embarrassment, notably unable to meet Horven's gaze. It is difficult to tell underneath the veil, but there might be a flush about her eyes...


Male Dwarf Zen Archer Monk 3//Preacher 1, HP: 38/38, AC(wMA) 20 /t 16 /f 18, F 8, R 4, W 9,(+3 vs spells/poison) Init +2, PasPer 21(23 stone), Darkvision 60'

Gared tensed as the statue seemingly flared to life, his right hand shooting towards the bow and quiver that hung over his left shoulder, and his left coming before him in an automatic martial defense. The dwarf quickly changed tact at the obvious familiarity between the creature and the women and returned to a more relaxed if guarded posture, all within a few seconds. The dwarf's face likewise went through a combination of surprise, fear, grim determination, confusion, surprise again, and then suddenly unabashed mirth as the dwarf roared with laughter. "BAHAHAHAHA! By Deadeye himself ye gave me quite th' start there!" Gared hooted for a moment more and wiped the tears from his face before offering a strong calloused hand to the large creature. "Ye can be callin me Gared, and fer true it's a joy teh be scared right back into dwarven brogue and not havin' to loose an arrow!" The dwarf beamed at the strange entourage. The extraordinary characters he'd just met made him feel almost at home.


male Tiefling (Rakshasa Spawn) Oracle 4 Passive Perception 14

Ganer stayed close to Gared, the heavy brown hooded cloak he wore almost completely concealing his features. His attention was immediately drawn to Carmina. How could she dare to walk around in public, her fiendish features on display so? Ganer supposed it had to do with the fact that she looked far more human than he did. Still, he continued to watch her for a while, hoping he wouldn't be overly obvious. Deciding it was time to introduce himself, he offered "I am Ganer Jitesh, of Absalom." He offered no hand to shake, apparently intending to keep his hands to himself.

When Fancy moved, Ganer reacted with a start. After it was clear that she was no monster, Ganer slowly approached the creature, studying it as though it was the statue he had initially believed it to be. When he found no obvious answers, he said, "I do not believe I've ever seen a being of your like. What manner of creature are you, if you don't mind my asking?"


Female Tiefling (Demonspawn) Sorcerer 4 (Abyssal) PP=11 HP: 33/33 AC 18 (Touch 12, FF 16) Claws 7/9

Carmina can't help but jump back a little as Fancy suddenly starts talking.

"What the... Fancy, why are you posing as a statue?" She says, with a puzzled look in her eyes. She opens her mouth as to continue, but is distracted by Ganer. "Hi! I didn't notice you at first, you were so silent... But why are you wearing such a heavy cloak? Even inside? Come on, spring is coming, you are going to die from the heat with that thing on."


Outsider Eidolon (Biped) 4, HP: 23/27, AC 15 /t 11 /f 14, F 4, R 2, W 3, Init +1, PasPer 16, Darkvision 60'

Eyes widening at the figure before her, Fancy's expression seems puzzled. "What manner of creature?.."
"I am Fancy, that is the name miss Yamyra bestowed me at my..."
The eidolon's features seem to crumple in bewilderment.


Halfling Summoner 4, HP 25/25, AC 12/t 12/f 11, F 2 /R 3 /W 4, Init +1, PasPer 11, Sp (1st) 0/5 (2nd) 0/2, SMI&II 8/8

"Oh, that's gone & done it!" Yamyra snaps in response to her companion's apparent distress.
"It'll be those Sczarni brats all over again..."
Interposing herself between the two outsiders, "Now listen you cat-fella! She doesn't know what she is."
"Truth is, none of us did until I had the chance to read some of the dustier tomes in the library. They are called Eidolons. The short story is they are...
unique
beings from the outer planes. They bond with particular individuals, in this case, me. From what little I've been able to glean on the subject, they will continue to adapt to changing events in their companion's lives as time goes on..."

Sighing, "She's only been with me the last... two years or so?"
"No, it was just after that...
strangeness up in Riddleport, so closer to four years."

"Now, I've answered your question, you can answer mine. Who are you? You're here with these two, which either speaks well for you or poor for them, so I must expect you are also a member of the Society from far-off lands?"


Outsider Eidolon (Biped) 4, HP: 23/27, AC 15 /t 11 /f 14, F 4, R 2, W 3, Init +1, PasPer 16, Darkvision 60'

Retreating to less emotionally trying subjects, Fancy focuses her attention on Carmina once more, "I apologize, miss Carmina. I was not pretending, miss Yamrya has a habit of concealing the physical manifestation of our link when we are likely to encounter strangers."
"When I am at rest, miss Yamyra tells me, I do resemble a statue."


Male Halfling Rogue 4, Passive Perception = 20, AC = 19, T = 15, FF = 15, HP= 26/26

Carmina seems an affable sort, but Yamyra must have some gnome in her family. Surely, I haven't seen anyone this...animated since I sold some of my carvings to that strange gnome girl some years ago. Has it been that long?

"Well, we have definitely been through stranger things than Eidolons," Horven remarks, groaning silently to himself. He couldn't drop the formal tone and he didn't like it.

He turns to Gared with an eyebrow raised. "Що ви думаєте про все це?"

Dwarven:
"What do you think of all this?"


Male Dwarf Zen Archer Monk 3//Preacher 1, HP: 38/38, AC(wMA) 20 /t 16 /f 18, F 8, R 4, W 9,(+3 vs spells/poison) Init +2, PasPer 21(23 stone), Darkvision 60'

Gared turned his insightful eye on the flustered halfling female and rumbled out a deep reply to Horven though addressing Anafa as he finished, a curious smile playing across his features.
"Было бы хорошо, смысл предположить, что тот, кто читает тома на древних обществах, по крайней мере знакомы с великим гномов Tounge, и я хотел бы предложить традиционным приветствием к вам!"

Dwarven:
It would be good sense to presume that one who reads tomes on ancient societies is at least familiar with the grand dwarven tounge, and I would offer traditional greeting to you!

As he gauged the halfling's reaction to the dialect, he returned his focus to Horven. "Мой друг, я только рад спине на твердой земле и далеко от тех, кто хотел видеть нас в крови. Было бы хорошо, чтобы служить первопроходцами здесь, и если история окажется истинным, как камень, он будет служить нам путешествовать с ученый и маг, как я подозреваю, от этой дамы."

Dwarven:
[b]"My friend, I am only happy to back on solid earth and far from those who would see our blood. It will be good to serve the pathfinders here, and if history would prove true as stone, it would serve us to travel with a scholar and mage as I suspect of this lady."[b]


male Tiefling (Rakshasa Spawn) Oracle 4 Passive Perception 14

Ganer couldn't help but smile, a gesture that went unnoticed of course. Ever since that foul business in the courthouse, Ganer had noticed that human women seemed unusually interested in him. He didn't know why, but he presumed that either the cloak added an air of mystery, or he was the only one among his companions that was the correct height. Still, there was something about this woman that seemed somehow different. Ganer coulnd't place it, but maybe it was her teeth. . .

Realizing he'd been lost in thought, Ganer felt the need to explain his cloak, "I'd better not take it off. My flesh was disfigured when I was a child, and I have felt it best that I remain out of view." Ganer always prefered to not lie if he could help it, and in this case, a half-truth was best of all. After all, he had been disfigured as a child, though not in the way someone might assume.

He turned toward Yamyra, irritation clear in his voice. "I have already identified myself, I am Ganer Jitesh, a Pathfinder from Absalom, as I mentioned. Now, perhaps you can explain to me why you have shown me such disrespect. I've done nothing to earn it."[/b]


Female Tiefling (Demonspawn) Sorcerer 4 (Abyssal) PP=11 HP: 33/33 AC 18 (Touch 12, FF 16) Claws 7/9

With a raised eyebrow, Carmina responds to Ganer, a slight suspcion in her voice. "Are you sure? You don't sound very disfigured."


male Tiefling (Rakshasa Spawn) Oracle 4 Passive Perception 14

Ganer chuckled a little; the question seemed to draw him out of his anger somewhat. "I wonder, just what does a disfigured person sound like? Either way, I suppose you are correct. My appearance is not the result of any injury, but rather a curse put on me when I was born."


Male Dwarf Zen Archer Monk 3//Preacher 1, HP: 38/38, AC(wMA) 20 /t 16 /f 18, F 8, R 4, W 9,(+3 vs spells/poison) Init +2, PasPer 21(23 stone), Darkvision 60'

The dwarf turned his attention to the two tieflings, and after a moment spoke to Carmina."Ganer is no more and no less cursed than you are, Lady Carmina."
Gared wore a thoughtful expression as he offered further explanation. "I do not believe it is unfair of Ganer to wish people to judge him on his actions, and his garb makes it difficult to condemn him for his image. When I look at you, I see you've likely the blood of a fiend in your lineage, but my companions and I would rather know you through your deeds rather than your blood. Sadly the world is full of the fearful and rash as much as the wise and thoughtful, and I imagine you've been subject to the actions of the former more than the later."


Male Halfling Rogue 4, Passive Perception = 20, AC = 19, T = 15, FF = 15, HP= 26/26

"I'm pretty sure that we have learned that appearances can be quite deceiving..." Horven trails off, clearly recalling Madge. He wipes a tear away. "Never mind that though, I'm pretty sure that Lady Heidmarch wouldn't subject us to each other if she didn't believe we could work out well together. And I don't think of you as cursed, Ganer, you're just unique. I can honestly say I've never met anyone like you. I mean that in a good way."


Female Tiefling (Demonspawn) Sorcerer 4 (Abyssal) PP=11 HP: 33/33 AC 18 (Touch 12, FF 16) Claws 7/9

The dwarf's words make Carmina fall silent for a moment, before he continues. "Yes, you're right. Most people don't seem to like me much. I mean, they don't say anything, but the way they look at me... You know what I mean right?" She waves theatrically, like she would be swatting an annoying fly away. "But hey, it's not my problem, is it? If they don't want to see me, it is they who should put a bag over their heads or something. After all, it's not like I care about their opinions."

Having said that, she takes a step back, leans towards Fancy, (As she is the only one at the right height) and whispers: "Hey, don't you think these guys are pretty close to each other? Makes me wonder if they are... Well, you know what I mean."


Male Dwarf Zen Archer Monk 3//Preacher 1, HP: 38/38, AC(wMA) 20 /t 16 /f 18, F 8, R 4, W 9,(+3 vs spells/poison) Init +2, PasPer 21(23 stone), Darkvision 60'

Gared's keen ears can pick up a whisper with his passive perception, so I'm playing him as having heard it.
The dwarf smiled at the tiefling's attitude, then snorted and began laughing again when he heard her whispered aside to the large stone creature. The image of romancing either Ganer or Horven was too much to for the dwarf to handle, and life was often too short and grim to pass up mirth when it was offered. When the dwarf composed himself again he took a step forward and offered a hand up to Carmina. "My lady, it's a pleasure to meet you and your companions. I think we'll be getting along just fine."


Halfling Summoner 4, HP 25/25, AC 12/t 12/f 11, F 2 /R 3 /W 4, Init +1, PasPer 11, Sp (1st) 0/5 (2nd) 0/2, SMI&II 8/8

Gah! I totally spaced that Ganer started off naming himself. I'm blaming it on Yamyra's low Wisdom & being over-protective of Fancy.

Yamyra's eyes widen at Ganer's rebuttal. What little you can see of her face gives an impression of furious reflection, followed quickly by a kind of abashed disgruntlement. "Fine. So you did." Reaching up to pull the veiled cowl from her head, revealing a blazing arcane sigil, that matches the one on Fancy's brow. "I can hardly fault you for doing essentially the same as I myself."
Smirking bemusedly at Gared's comment she interjected in Taldane, "It just so happens that yes, I am conversant with the language of Torag's children, but I try not to compound my acts of foolish ill manners."
"Seeing as I've already managed to give offense to your traveling companion, I see no reason to add insult to offense by excluding him from a conversation."
"That said,"
inhaling deeply as she turned back to Ganer, "I apologize. Fancy tells me you have just as much reason to be cautious of the ignorant as we do. I would ask however, that the next time you start questioning someone as though you were a Magistrate in your Courtroom, be certain that you are."
"This,"
her arm sweeping broadly as if to indicate both Heidmarch Manor & Magnimar itself, "is not YOUR court. No, it's not mine either."
"We both started off with our wrong feet. What say you we acknowledge this and move forward?"
Offering her hand with a guileless smile.


Outsider Eidolon (Biped) 4, HP: 23/27, AC 15 /t 11 /f 14, F 4, R 2, W 3, Init +1, PasPer 16, Darkvision 60'

"I too wish to interpose the hand of amicability." Fancy declares, reaching across, and over everyone, to put her hand before Ganer.
She also looks quizzically at Carmina. "No, I do not. Please elucidate."


Male Dwarf Zen Archer Monk 3//Preacher 1, HP: 38/38, AC(wMA) 20 /t 16 /f 18, F 8, R 4, W 9,(+3 vs spells/poison) Init +2, PasPer 21(23 stone), Darkvision 60'

Ouch, mentioning a courtroom so soon! Bad thoughts, bad thoughts! I'd imagine you'd get at least a wince from Ganer, Gared, and Horven at the reference!


male Tiefling (Rakshasa Spawn) Oracle 4 Passive Perception 14

Ganer flinched slightly at the mention of a courthouse, and then apparently decided to make use of it, he certainly wouldn't be giving this girl an advantage over him. "Hmm, my last visit to a courthouse was unpleasant, possibly the worst of my life, and that is no short list. We escaped by hanging a man, though that was after several others died deaths as senseless as they were violent." Ganer's voice was stone cold as he spoke, either because he felt nothing about the events or because he refused to betray emotion. "Though I can say that none of the dead were entirely innocent."

He turned his body to the left and right, apparently determining that there was no one paying too much attention to him other than the people he addressed, then he lifted up the hood so that his face was visible. "Since my friend Gared has given up the game, I suppose you might as well have the courtesy of knowing what I look like." His face was similar to that of a white tiger, though different enough that he was able to speak. Basically, he looks like the avatar, but without the orange.

He took another close look at the Eidolon, and said to Yamyra, "I apologize if I offended you,I did not realize that this creature was your pet."

Ganer is happy to tell any story you want to hear, but context is earned.


Male Halfling Rogue 4, Passive Perception = 20, AC = 19, T = 15, FF = 15, HP= 26/26

Horven frowns as he hears the courthouse comment. He looks for a comfortable seat and plops himself down. Glad to be out of the conversation, he closes his eyes and listens to the rest of the group.


Halfling Summoner 4, HP 25/25, AC 12/t 12/f 11, F 2 /R 3 /W 4, Init +1, PasPer 11, Sp (1st) 0/5 (2nd) 0/2, SMI&II 8/8

It is fairly obvious Yamyra does not take kindly to the 'pet' comment. It is also obvious she is holding off on a tart response. "No harm done I'm sure."

That is one I won't be sad to see off on field work...
I do wonder where he is from though. Not an accent I recognize. Oh well, any number of strange & odd peoples & places about the world.

Grand Lodge

Wishes there was a Sheila Heidmarch avatar... NOT ANYMORE!!!

As you all continue talking with each other, the door to the foyer opens and two women step into the room. One of them is a statuesque human lady with dark hair and eyes, the other an attractive half-elven woman dressed in leather armor and armed with a distinctive-looking mithral-and-redwood aklys (a hooked club attached to a cord) and a bastard sword (both weapons are currently sheathed or hanging from her belt).

DC 18 Knowledge (dungeoneering or local):
You recognize this half-elven woman as Koriah Azmeren as one of Varisia’s most famous Pathfinders and a well-renowned expert on the Darklands.

She greets all of you in a low, sultry voice. "I am Sheila Heidmarch, the Pathfinder Venture-Captain in Magnimar. Thank you all for coming. This is Koriah Azmeren, a well-renowned expert on the Darklands." Koriah nods to each of you in greeting.

Sheila motions for you to follow her into the next chamber which as you can tell is the lodge library and study. The walls are lined with bookshelves, while several tables in the middle of the room are heaped with scrolls and books. One table in the center, however, supports only a single object— an ornate cubical stone coffer covered with Thassilonian runes. Next to the box are several unfurled scrolls.

Sheila motions for all of you to have a seat around the table. Once you are all seated, she continues. "Koriah has just returned from an expedition to the Darklands below Varisia, having successfully scouted out a new (but relatively minor) route down to Nar-Voth from the Fogscar Mountains. She returned with a surprising number of Thassilonian artifacts from this expedition, and I do apologize for the delay, as I must conclude my business with Pathfinder Azmeren before we meet. In the meantime, though,I thought you could help us with another minor issue. This stone coffer is an ancient Thassilonian puzzle, a cunning feat of magical engineering known as a paradox box. As you’ll see from even a casual investigation, what appear to be seams on the sides are only shallow grooves—there’s no obvious way to open the thing. Each paradox box has its own secret method of being opened. Essentially, a paradox box substitutes hidden catches and magical triggers for a lock. Given time, anyone clever enough could figure out how to open a paradox box, just as given time, a locksmith can open any lock. This particular box was among those items recovered by Koriah—the scrolls next to the box are her preliminary notes on possible triggers or methods of opening it, but she’s not yet had a chance to sit down and properly investigate the thing. So... why don’t you put your heads together and see if you can’t do that for me? Even if the box is empty, as I suspect it probably is, knowing the method of opening it makes it a valuable find anyway. I’ll return shortly, and I hope to see that box open! Think of this as an audition, if you will—because the actual task I want to speak to you about soon will require as much wit as it will brawn!”

She then exits the library with Koriah and leaves you alone with your task.


Male Dwarf Zen Archer Monk 3//Preacher 1, HP: 38/38, AC(wMA) 20 /t 16 /f 18, F 8, R 4, W 9,(+3 vs spells/poison) Init +2, PasPer 21(23 stone), Darkvision 60'

Perception to examine the box, apparently like a dwarven boss.1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30

Gared listens to the two respectfully and thoughtfully taking the measure of the two women. With a smile and nod to them both as they leave, the dwarf moved to examine the stone thoroughly feeling the grain and cut of the stone and began to "listening to the soul of the stone" as only a dwarf can do, touching and admiring it as if it were a woman of unimaginable beauty.

Grand Lodge

Wishes there was a Sheila Heidmarch avatar... NOT ANYMORE!!!

Gared picks up the stone box, marveling at its construction. While not dwarfish in its nature, he could not deny its true artistic quality. One thing which does elude the dwarf is any sign or hint on how to open the box. Whatever the means to open it, it does not appear to be mechanical in nature.


male Tiefling (Rakshasa Spawn) Oracle 4 Passive Perception 14

I'm guessing that that part in the text of Identify about objects in your possession is an error, because otherwise it wouldn't need to work in a 60' cone. . .

Ganer brandished his holy symbol and said a few words, and then set to watching the box, in hopes that it would reveal its secrets to him.

Spellcraft to identify the object: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (19) + 15 = 34


Male Dwarf Zen Archer Monk 3//Preacher 1, HP: 38/38, AC(wMA) 20 /t 16 /f 18, F 8, R 4, W 9,(+3 vs spells/poison) Init +2, PasPer 21(23 stone), Darkvision 60'

"Truly, this is a artifact of great beauty." The dwarf spoke reverently. "This stone tells of no opening through hands alone, and instead of only of wonder and mystery. Perhaps one who knows more of Thassilon than I, and knows some of their magics might discover more." Gared turned to Anafa and offered her the coffer to her before turning to pore over the scrolls.

Grand Lodge

Wishes there was a Sheila Heidmarch avatar... NOT ANYMORE!!!

Ganer is able to verify the Paradox box is indeed a storage box which needs a command word to open it. Lacking such, the runes on the outside of the box radiate magic (moderate abjuration and conjuration).

Gared looks over the scrolls, which are notes penned by Koina. Her notes indicate the following:

1. The scroll lists translations of the significant runes on the box—one of the most oft-repeated symbols was the rune for “wrath,” which Koriah also notes is associated with evocation magic, and in the earliest days of Thassilon with the word “kindness.” Her notes also indicate that this rune possibly marks the box has having once belonged to a citizen of the Thassilonian nation of Bakrakhan, and that the rune likely has little to do with the method of opening this particular paradox box.

2. Also five of the box’s faces are identical, but on one face, several additional runes appear. These runes spell out the word “CRUEL.” Koriah deduces that this word is somehow linked to the box’s mystery. She’s also noted that each of the individual runes in the word can be reorganized by touching two runes at once—doing so causes the two touched runes to exchange places for an hour before reverting to their original spelling of “CRUEL.”


Halfling Summoner 4, HP 25/25, AC 12/t 12/f 11, F 2 /R 3 /W 4, Init +1, PasPer 11, Sp (1st) 0/5 (2nd) 0/2, SMI&II 8/8

Yamyra smiles cheerily at Gared as she accepts the dweomered stone box from his hands & looks appraisingly over the the sigils inscribed on it's surface. "At a glance, all I can tell you is, yes, it's definitely Thassilonian. Unfortunately we have so few extant examples of Thassilonian grammar forms I would hesitate to declare with certainty whether it is anything more than a particularly impressive child's toy."
"Let's take a closer look."
Linguistics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15, bear in mind Yamyra does have Thassilonian as a Language known, she just has never heard it spoken by a native speaker, so she is guarded about just how precise her interpretation might be...
What the heck, I will see you one Spellcraft as well, Spellcraft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11, and raise you a Knowledge: Arcana, Knowledge: Arcana: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17, & a Knowledge: History, like an historic boss baby, Knowledge: History: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28, (would Yamyra's trait bonus on Knowledge: History checks in Varisia apply here?


Outsider Eidolon (Biped) 4, HP: 23/27, AC 15 /t 11 /f 14, F 4, R 2, W 3, Init +1, PasPer 16, Darkvision 60'

Fancy looms over Yamyra, also intently examining the box's surface. Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7


Male Halfling Rogue 4, Passive Perception = 20, AC = 19, T = 15, FF = 15, HP= 26/26

Knowledge(Local) upon meeting Sheila:
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

"Seems like I'm out of my element again," Horven says, resting his nose on the edge of the table. "I know locks...ancient boxes? Not so much."

Perception check:
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Grand Lodge

Wishes there was a Sheila Heidmarch avatar... NOT ANYMORE!!!

Yamyra looks over the runes on the Paradox Box and verifies Koriah's notes are indeed accurate. She learns nothing further concerning the magical nature of the box. As she studied the runes further, it occurs to her the key might be hidden in anagrams of each word.


Male Dwarf Zen Archer Monk 3//Preacher 1, HP: 38/38, AC(wMA) 20 /t 16 /f 18, F 8, R 4, W 9,(+3 vs spells/poison) Init +2, PasPer 21(23 stone), Darkvision 60'

After penning down the letters and rearranging them for a while on a sheet of parchment, Gared spoke to Anafa. "Perhaps you could try rearranging the runes in the word cruel to form the word lucre. You could also try ulcer as well. I don't know much of this ancient society but the former strikes me as the best fit for a simple rearrangement of letters."


Female Tiefling (Demonspawn) Sorcerer 4 (Abyssal) PP=11 HP: 33/33 AC 18 (Touch 12, FF 16) Claws 7/9

After poking the box for some time with nothing happening, Carmina takes a closer look at the box.

Just some scribbles in some ancient language. How am I supposed to understand how something like this works?

She starts lazily blabbering nonsense in the only languages she knows, hoping that she might with luck accidentally say the right word, or at least something that resembles it enough.

Poor Carmina, brain teasers are not her strong point.


male Tiefling (Rakshasa Spawn) Oracle 4 Passive Perception 14

Assuming that Ganer gets a chance to look over the notes.

Ganer looked over the notes as he relayed his thoughts. "I doubt the box is a toy, unless these Thasilons were much more magical than we are. It gives off a moderate aura of Abjuration and Conjuration. It requires a command word to open, possibly something related to these runes, wrath and cruel?"


Halfling Summoner 4, HP 25/25, AC 12/t 12/f 11, F 2 /R 3 /W 4, Init +1, PasPer 11, Sp (1st) 0/5 (2nd) 0/2, SMI&II 8/8

In response to Ganer's comment regarding Ancient Thassilon & magic, Yamyra mutters, "Oh, they were alright, They most definitely were. Possibly a match for Azlant..."
"Possibly..."
"
More than a match..."
As she continues her own ruminations.
At Ganer's findings regarding the magical qualities of the object, Yamyra nods in acknowledgment, murmuring, "Thank you. I suspected as much, but confirmation is always helpful."
The suggestions regarding words choices & anagrams elicit more of a "Hmm? Oh yes, Just making certain there aren't any other possibilities first. Thank you, both of you."

Grand Lodge

Wishes there was a Sheila Heidmarch avatar... NOT ANYMORE!!!

After about 20 minutes or so of studying the Thassilonian runes, Gared (with Yamyra's assistance) manipulates the glowing rune tiles to spell out the word "LUCRE". As he does so, a seam appears around the chest and nested hinges appear within allowing this lid to be opened.

401 to 450 of 3,393 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Project 'X" Game thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.