Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

The Goblin Cave

Game Master Quillworth

Several adventurers wake up in a cave. There are goblins. Stuff happens.


1 to 50 of 744 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Celestial Game Master

This is a short trial story for the purpose of learning to play by posting on the messageboards. It is a closed story with three characters.

RESOURCES:

Dice Roller: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

Game Board: (MUST be signed into a Gmail account to use, email me for access) https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?hl=en_US&key=tsadAcp4BZ blQQiJ9okiJzA&hl=en_US#gid=0

Sczarni

Male Human
Quillworth wrote:

This is a short trial story for the purpose of learning to play by posting on the messageboards. It is a closed story with three characters.

This is Ryan. I am happy to show people how to create character aliases (sp?) so that we can post as our characters!

Wootzors


Male Celestial Game Master

The introductory GM post that will start the campaign will take place this weekend. Please post once to introduce your character (follow Ryan's example below) and take time to fill out a character sheet under profile details before Monday, 6/6.

Rules:
1. Combat will take place here, but using a Google Document as a reference point. For access to the document, email me. When you make a move here, move your character on the document. It's a grid, just like tabletop. Initiative order is on the document, too. Bold your name there when you've taken your turn, and wait for GM response.

2. Use the dice expression for dice rolling, bold for spoken words, and the out of character commentary mechanic for anything off-table. In story mode, describe your attempted action, "Zorthak pauses, scanning the ground for markings," and then roll for a skill, "Survival:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10" Please roll all of your rolls using the dice mechanic here unless otherwise noted. The GM will not be rolling visibly in this trial story.

3. Try to do "showing" and not "telling." For example, show us that your paladin is sad by describing his tears, or by having him fall to one knee, not by saying "Zorthak is saddened by..."

3b. Let's make good writing a priority. Take the time to use proper grammar and formatting. We want this to be enjoyable for anyone who happens along.

3c. PRESENT TENSE.

4. Don't post things that you wouldn't say on-table in person. For example, you wouldn't post your character's inner thoughts.

5. YOU are responsible for describing your character's actions in this play-by-post, not the GM. In combat, the GM will describe action resolutions. For example, when attacking, describe the attempted move, move your character on the game board, and then wait for the GM to resolve the attack and describe the outcome.

6. We are all learning how to play this way, so be respectful. Any rules explanations, arguments, or other mechanical justifications should be placed in the out of character commentary mechanic. Let's aim for one post every two days at the longest, but understanding that things come up.


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3

Introducing Lucas "The Brawler" Tavington! (fighter 1)

If you click on his name you can see his stats and stuff! Woot! (Not finished yet.)

This is Darksmokepuncher's alias. More to come!


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3

Disregard the last post please

Introducing Lucas "Strong Jaw" Tavington! (Fighter 1)

If you click on his name you can see his stats and stuff! Woot! (Not finished yet.)

This is Darksmokepuncher's alias. More to come!

Sczarni

Female Human Druid/1 Bard/1

Ohai! This is Jenni (HA!). I'll post as my alias soon. :)


Male Celestial Game Master

We now have a page in the discussion forum, with set-up information and background on the world: Go to Goblin Cave Discussion
.

Use this discussion post for comments and questions about the game while we play! I'll also be adding some tips there for how to post certain things as we nail that stuff down.


Female Human 3rd Level Wizard

Introducing Carys Heylyn Wizard extraordinaire.


Female Human Cutpurse Rogue 3

Introducing Ariana Firth: stealthy cutpurse.


Male Celestial Game Master

Carys, Ariana, and Lucas awake to find themselves surrounded by a wall of rock. The room is about 20x20 feet, with a hollow doorway leading into a dark passage. A single torch, cradled by a crude iron brazier, provides enough light to illuminate the room, glancing off a glistening greening-brown dampness on the walls. The only obvious sound is a shuffling, which seems to be coming from the darkness beyond the doorway.


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3
~ GM Quillworth wrote:
Carys, Ariana, and Lucas awake to find themselves surrounded by a wall of rock. The room is about 20x20 feet, with a hollow doorway leading into a dark passage. A single torch, cradled by a crude iron brazier, provides enough light to illuminate the room, glancing off a glistening greening-brown dampness on the walls. The only obvious sound is a shuffling, which seems to be coming from the darkness beyond the doorway.

Lucas sits up and gives his head a quick, hard shake to fling the groggy from his vision.

What's going on? He thinks to himself.

Lucas slinks quietly toward the opening in the wall, trying to determine where he might be and what might be near.

Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11
Stealth: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Well that was half good 8)


Male Celestial Game Master

Lucas' Perception:
You see nothing of interest inside the room besides the two others who are lying on the floor. As you focus on the shuffling, you notice that it is echoing through what is most likely a hallway outside the doorway.

Also, as you all wake, you seem to be missing all of your possessions.


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3
~ GM Quillworth wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

Also, as you all wake, you seem to be missing all of your possessions.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I meant to move to the opening quietly and look out. Do I see anything out there?


Female Human 3rd Level Wizard

I slowly open my eyes and sit up, looking around the cave. "Whhhatt? " I say groggily.

Perception 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17


Female Fox 1st Level Familiar

Hearing her master, Carys, stir, Rhan moves toward Carys sniffing the ground. When I reach Carys, I nuzzle her hand and look around protectively.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13


Male Celestial Game Master

No problem, Lucas.

Lucas peeks out of the doorway:
You glimpse a dim hallway that stretches in both directions. To the left, another torch is burning in a sconce in front of a shut wooden door. To the right, the hallway stretches into blackness. The shuffling seems to be coming from the right.

Carys' Perception:
You see nothing of interest inside the room besides the girl on the floor and the man who is creeping toward the doorway. As you focus on the shuffling, you notice that it is echoing through what is most likely a hallway outside the doorway, and is coming from the right. As far as your equipment, everything you had except for your clothing is missing.

Everyone notices the shuffling as it grows slightly louder. It almost sounds like footsteps, mixed with something else. Rhan, the fox, perks up her ears. She utters a low, gutteral sound and stands alert. Ariana still lies unconscious on the floor.


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3
Carys Heylyn wrote:

I slowly open my eyes and sit up, looking around the cave. "Whhhatt? " I say groggily.

Perception 1d20 +3

After seeing or not seeing whatever I see or do not see,

Lucas nearly jumps out of his skin when a voice speaks out in the darkness behind him, but he quickly smoothes his features and turns around.

"Who is that? Why are you here and what do you want?" Lucas hisses through clenched teeth.

Stealth Check
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

EDIT: Without my armor on my stealth is actually 1 point higher. So that last check should be a 13.


Female Human Cutpurse Rogue 3
Lucas "Strong Jaw" Tavington wrote:
Carys Heylyn wrote:

I slowly open my eyes and sit up, looking around the cave. "Whhhatt? " I say groggily.

Perception 1d20 +3

After seeing or not seeing whatever I see or do not see,

Lucas nearly jumps out of his skin when a voice speaks out in the darkness behind him, but he quickly smoothes his features and turns around.

"Who is that? Why are you here and what do you want?" Lucas hisses through clenched teeth.

Stealth Check
1d20 + 1

EDIT: Without my armor on my stealth is actually 1 point higher. So that last check should be a 13.

Hearing muffled voices, Ariana wakes suddenly and holds her breath trying to be as silent as possible until she can determine what is going on.

Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (20) + 0 = 20
Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

WHAT. THE. WHAT. ROLLS?


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3
Ariana Firth wrote:

Hearing muffled voices, Ariana wakes suddenly and holds her breath trying to be as silent as possible until she can determine what is going on.

Perception: 1d20 + 0
Stealth: 1d20 + 7

WHAT. THE. WHAT. ROLLS?

Two natural 20's as your first rolls of the game? If I hadn't been sitting here watching I'd cry, "Haxorz!" Wow.


Female Human 3rd Level Wizard

"I don't know. I just woke up here. Who are you?"

Still wondering if our stuff looks riffled through or if things our just missing.


Female Human 3rd Level Wizard

Also, Carys stands to her feet. Obviously ill at ease, she crouches ready to move at a moments notice.


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3
Carys Heylyn wrote:

"I don't know. I just woke up here. Who are you?"

Still wondering if our stuff looks riffled through or if things our just missing.

Our stuff is all gone

"I am Lucas and I am leaving, are you with me?"

Perception to notice Ariana:1d20 + 0 ⇒ (18) + 0 = 18

If I do notice her

"Ariana! Are you hurt?"


Male Celestial Game Master

Lucas does notice Ariana.

Ariana's perception:
You see nothing of interest inside the room besides a girl, a fox, and Lucas who is near the doorway. As far as your equipment, everything you had except for your clothing is missing. You also hear footsteps and ragged breathing, growing louder, coming from outside of the doorway. You also even notice a brief flicker in the flame of the torch that lies in the corner of the room.

The noise outside of the doorway grows louder still.

In the next things that each of you post, go ahead and describe yourselves, now that you're all awake.


Female Human 3rd Level Wizard

Carys cautiously walks toward Lucas.

"What is that noise?" she says businesslike.

Haha, for some stupid reason I read "some" of your stuff is missing.

Description: Carys is a 5'6'' female human of 25 years of age.


Female Fox 1st Level Familiar

I'm a fox yo!


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10 (to know about the footsteps)

"it's a goblin..."

Lucas stands straight and tall. The tawny muscular yooth, both handsome and rugged. However, there something in his eyes that looks changeable and tricksy.


Male Celestial Game Master
Lucas "Strong Jaw" Tavington wrote:

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 1 (to know about the footsteps)

"it's a goblin..."

Lucas stands straight and tall. The tawny muscular yooth, both handsome and rugged. However, there something in his eyes that looks changeable and tricksy.

Knowledge local:
You know that, due to your surroundings, the footsteps are likely from a goblin, but you can't account for a strange panting sound, and the footsteps aren't familiar enough to make out completely.

Female Human 3rd Level Wizard

"I'm with you!"


Male Celestial Game Master

The green-slicked walls flash bits of light from the torch to outside the doorway. The flickering illumination in the hallway outside reveals a sudden blur of movement as the shuffling, rasping noise seems to reach the small room.

Roll a perception DC10 to notice the movement outside.


Female Human 3rd Level Wizard

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

"I think it's getting closer"

Carys moves toward the torch and attempts to pull the torch from it's holder.

Does it sound like only 1 goblin or seem to be several?


Female Fox 1st Level Familiar

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

Ears still trained on the opening, Rhan crouches as if ready to pounce and continues to let out a low growl.


Male Celestial Game Master
Carys Heylyn wrote:

Perception: 1d20 + 3

"I think it's getting closer"

Carys moves toward the torch and attempts to pull the torch from it's holder.

Does it sound like only 1 goblin or seem to be several?

Perception:
It sounds like only one creature. With a 12, you saw movement in the hallway. The movement was low and slow.

Carys pulls and the torch in the brazier comes free with ease.


Female Human Cutpurse Rogue 3
~ GM Quillworth wrote:

The green-slicked walls flash bits of light from the torch to outside the doorway. The flickering illumination in the hallway outside reveals a sudden blur of movement as the shuffling, rasping noise seems to reach the small room.

Roll a perception DC10 to notice the movement outside.

Ariana is a young and thin female human, with a pleasing appearance, and based on her lean musculature, you would judge her to be quick on her feet.

Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (4) + 0 = 4

"Lucas, no, I am not hurt. It's good to hear your voice. Ugh, I hate goblins."

Ariana moves to stand near Lucas, and, hopefully, hide in the shadows preparing to attack.

Stealth (again, if I need it): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3

"I'm glad you're not hurt Ariana."

Lucas takes a deep breath and sets his jaw, determined to look confident whether he feels it or not.
A DC 11 sense motive will reaveal that he is not feeling very confident.

"Ok. I am going to take this creature down. You, He indicates Carys. stand behind me with that torch held high so I can see. Ari, if you can safely get behind it after I engage, do it.

With a sharp nod to his companions, Lucas stands from his crouching position and launches himself around the corner.

Initiative - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20 HOT DAMN!

Lucas intends to tackle the approaching creature with a grapple check (1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7) if he can.


Male Celestial Game Master
Lucas "Strong Jaw" Tavington wrote:

"I'm glad you're not hurt Ariana."

Initiative - 1d20 + 2 HOT DAMN!

Lucas intends to tackle the approaching creature with a grapple check (1d20 + 4) if he can.

Seriously Ryan? 20 initiative at level one? Are you guys sure you haven't broken the in-text dice roller? :)

Everyone else, ROLL INITIATIVE! (I'm rolling for you so we can start combat)

Carys/Rhan: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Ariana: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Initiative order:
Ariana (21)
Lucas (20)
Bojangles
Carys/Rhan (15)

The game board is now set with your (ridiculously high) initiatives and prepped for action. Feel free to discuss strategy on here when it's not your turn. Just keep it at one sentence or less, and stay in character. Ariana, you're up!


Female Fox 1st Level Familiar

Doesn't Rhan have her own Init?
Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Not that it changes anything ;)


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3

Please link the game board again.


Male Celestial Game Master
Lucas "Strong Jaw" Tavington wrote:
Please link the game board again.

It's still at the top, under "resources."

Rhan "the Fox" wrote:

Doesn't Rhan have her own Init?

Initiative: 1d20 + 3

Not that it changes anything ;)

Rhan goes on your initiative. We can talk about it on the discussion forum if you want.


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3

Do I not get a suprise round? If not, that's fine. If I do, my action is on the game board and my grapple roll is garbage: I do provoke an AoO.


Male Celestial Game Master
Lucas "Strong Jaw" Tavington wrote:
Do I not get a suprise round? If not, that's fine. If I do, my action is on the game board and my grapple roll is garbage: I do provoke an AoO.

No, you don't. Your opponent was aware of all of you. It's Ariana's turn.


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3
~ GM Quillworth wrote:


Lucas "Strong Jaw" Tavington wrote:
Do I not get a suprise round? If not, that's fine. If I do, my action is on the game board and my grapple roll is garbage: I do provoke an AoO.
No, you don't. Your opponent was aware of all of you. It's Ariana's turn.

He was aware I was there or aware that I would rush out and tackle him at that precise moment? 8)


Male Celestial Game Master
Lucas "Strong Jaw" Tavington wrote:
~ GM Quillworth wrote:


Lucas "Strong Jaw" Tavington wrote:
Do I not get a suprise round? If not, that's fine. If I do, my action is on the game board and my grapple roll is garbage: I do provoke an AoO.
No, you don't. Your opponent was aware of all of you. It's Ariana's turn.
He was aware I was there or aware that I would rush out and tackle him at that precise moment? 8)

Aware you were there. The rules state that if an opponent is unaware of someone, that person can have a surprise round. Otherwise, everyone rolls initiative when combat begins. Am I missing something? Can you link me what you're referring to?

Here are the Paizo surprise rules:
"When a combat starts, if you are not aware of your opponents and they are aware of you, you're surprised.
Sometimes all the combatants on a side are aware of their opponents, sometimes none are, and sometimes only some of them are. Sometimes a few combatants on each side are aware and the other combatants on each side are unaware.
Determining awareness may call for Perception checks or other checks."


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3
~ GM Quillworth wrote:
Lucas "Strong Jaw" Tavington wrote:
~ GM Quillworth wrote:


Lucas "Strong Jaw" Tavington wrote:
Do I not get a suprise round? If not, that's fine. If I do, my action is on the game board and my grapple roll is garbage: I do provoke an AoO.
No, you don't. Your opponent was aware of all of you. It's Ariana's turn.
He was aware I was there or aware that I would rush out and tackle him at that precise moment? 8)

Aware you were there. The rules state that if an opponent is unaware of someone, that person can have a surprise round. Otherwise, everyone rolls initiative when combat begins. Am I missing something? Can you link me what you're referring to?

Here are the Paizo surprise rules:
"When a combat starts, if you are not aware of your opponents and they are aware of you, you're surprised.
Sometimes all the combatants on a side are aware of their opponents, sometimes none are, and sometimes only some of them are. Sometimes a few combatants on each side are aware and the other combatants on each side are unaware.
Determining awareness may call for Perception checks or other checks."

By RAW you're right not to allow a suprise round. Merely a difference in style. Noted for the future and no harm done.


Male Celestial Game Master

Well, I'm not nearly an always RAW type of GM, but I just want to be consistent, especially on the play-by-post. In this case

meta:
the mob is lying in wait for you guys, mostly because it's a guard. It would be ready to attack if it saw you move to attack. Due to the nature of combat, you can't both attack at once, but it would be weird to let you have the drop on it.
Thus, it would be hard to justify a surprise round, even by RAI standards. Let's talk about this tonight. I want your input.


Female Human Cutpurse Rogue 3
Lucas "Strong Jaw" Tavington wrote:

"I'm glad you're not hurt Ariana."

Lucas takes a deep breath and sets his jaw, determined to look confident whether he feels it or not.
A DC 11 sense motive will reaveal that he is not feeling very confident.

"Ok. I am going to take this creature down. You, He indicates Carys. stand behind me with that torch held high so I can see. Ari, if you can safely get behind it after I engage, do it.

With a sharp nod to his companions, Lucas stands from his crouching position and launches himself around the corner.

Initiative - 1d20 + 2 HOT DAMN!

Lucas intends to tackle the approaching creature with a grapple check (1d20 + 4) if he can.

Ariana quietly moves nearer to the doorway (move to H3, do you need another stealth?) , and patiently waits for either the assumed goblin to move within reach to attack, or for Lucas to act.

Just in case -
Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Super busy weekend, and I forgot on Monday. I'll try to do better.


Male Human Fighter (Brawler) 3

Since GM said I could...

Lucas clenches his teeth and tears around the corner. ( Grapple check 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16) His lowered shoulder crashes into the oncoming creature ( Hopefully bearing it to the ground...) and he comes down on top of it.

If he grapples succesfully, Lucas now shares J4 with the creature. If not, He stops in I4.


Female Human Cutpurse Rogue 3
Lucas "Strong Jaw" Tavington wrote:

Since GM said I could...

Lucas clenches his teeth and tears around the corner. ( Grapple check 1d20 + 4) His lowered shoulder crashes into the oncoming creature ( Hopefully bearing it to the ground...) and he comes down on top of it.

If he grapples successfully, Lucas now shares J4 with the creature. If not, He stops in I4.

Does that mean it's my standard or move action if I want it since I held action until either Lucas acted or the creature came into my threatened area or does my move one count as my turn?


Male Celestial Game Master
Lucas "Strong Jaw" Tavington wrote:

Since GM said I could...

Lucas clenches his teeth and tears around the corner. ( Grapple check 1d20 + 4) His lowered shoulder crashes into the oncoming creature ( Hopefully bearing it to the ground...) and he comes down on top of it.

If he grapples succesfully, Lucas now shares J4 with the creature. If not, He stops in I4.

As Lucas crashes down on the approaching creature, what he assumed to be a goblin is, instead...different. In the dim light, he can make out the shape of fangs glinting in the light of the torch. The creature lets out a what sounds like a scream as it falls to the ground, and Lucas finds himself hugging a quivering, hairy, yellow-green mass which squirms beneath him.

As he holds on to the creature, falling to the ground with it, he feels a creeping feeling on the surface of his skin.

Fortitude save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

FAILED: Lucas begins to itch all over his body only milliseconds after coming into contact with the writhing creature. Lucas takes a -2 to DEX and CHA scores for one day's length.

NEXT UP: Ariana (delayed standard), then BOJANGLES


Male Celestial Game Master
Ariana Firth wrote:
Lucas "Strong Jaw" Tavington wrote:

Since GM said I could...

Lucas clenches his teeth and tears around the corner. ( Grapple check 1d20 + 4) His lowered shoulder crashes into the oncoming creature ( Hopefully bearing it to the ground...) and he comes down on top of it.

If he grapples successfully, Lucas now shares J4 with the creature. If not, He stops in I4.

Does that mean it's my standard or move action if I want it since I held action until either Lucas acted or the creature came into my threatened area or does my move one count as my turn?

Go ahead and make a standard OR a move action now, before Bojangles' turn.


Female Human Cutpurse Rogue 3
~ GM Quillworth wrote:
Ariana Firth wrote:
Lucas "Strong Jaw" Tavington wrote:

Since GM said I could...

Lucas clenches his teeth and tears around the corner. ( Grapple check 1d20 + 4) His lowered shoulder crashes into the oncoming creature ( Hopefully bearing it to the ground...) and he comes down on top of it.

If he grapples successfully, Lucas now shares J4 with the creature. If not, He stops in I4.

Does that mean it's my standard or move action if I want it since I held action until either Lucas acted or the creature came into my threatened area or does my move one count as my turn?
Go ahead and make a standard OR a move action now, before Bojangles' turn.

Ariana, following Lucas' command, moves behind the creature.

Moves to J5.

1 to 50 of 744 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Goblin Cave (trial story) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.