The Forgotten God (Table 5)

Game Master Rednal

Astoroth, God of Facts and Information-Gathering
---
The Cathedral
---
Unused


2,351 to 2,400 of 2,527 << first < prev | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | next > last >>

It took pretty much no effort to knock the guy out - and his two friends stared at his unconscious form for a few moments. "Uh... you wanna be the new boss?" One of them asked, clearly reassessing the situation. Neither of them looked terribly loyal to the one you'd knocked out.


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

"I'd rather you told me about this place. Who's here, is there anyone else that might cause trouble, and any other information you think I might find useful. As your friend just discovered, I'm not interested in becoming the new entertainment."


The thug shrugged in a very 'you're the boss' kind of way. "You're on the Redemption. It's basically five ships tied together and turned into a prison. Guards don't care much what we do as long as we're not too noisy, and only an idiot would jump out." he said, eyes flickering to a hole in the hull. "As for who's here... well, bleedin' obvious, yeah? All the burglars, street rats, and con artists you could want. Unless you're strong enough to get your food each day, you've got maybe six weeks to live once you're in here."


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

"And what's wrong with exiting through that hole?" Astoroth asked calmly. "Nasty things in the water?" The comment about food merited further observation, but there was a more pressing question at the moment. "Is there a duration to your stay here? I'm finding that this world is harsher than I'm used to, but I typically wouldn't expect simple 'burglars, street rats, and con artists' to merit a particularly long imprisonment."


It was my birthday on the 9th, so you get 6500 GP. (You can accept it in item(s), rather than exclusively coin, if you prefer.)

The thug just shook his head, a bit bemused. "You only go into Sister Lyme if you want to die." he said. Then, after a moment, "Some risk it. You stop remembering the screams after awhile. I mean, it was their own choice, right? An' once you're here, death's the only way out. May as well get used to it now. If you're strong, you can keep livin'. If not, well, hunger can make a man do many things."


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

Happy birthday. XD

"I see." He'd need more information about this 'Sister Lyme,' of course, but that could wait. This prisoner seemed resigned to his fate, so there was no sense in continuing to question him about it. For now, Astoroth decided to claim one of those floating refuse piles and observe his fellow inmates for a while. As he had no need for physical sustenance (and Book provided all his mental needs), time was not a factor for him.


Sense Motive DC 0: You're pretty sure 'Sister Lyme' refers to the river.

How much time do you want to observe them for? A few minutes, an hour, a day...? XD


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

Let's start with a couple hours. I'm basically trying to get a feel for the various personalities down here, any 'routines,' and other tidbits into the specific prison culture. Anything that hints at Graest's identity, of course, will also be factored. XD


The piles were less than great to sit on, but eventually, you managed to clamber atop one... and the rest of the prisoners, having witnessed your fight, mostly stayed away. The people here... well, it was a gathering of men and women, mostly human but with the odd other species mixed in (including someone definitely porcine). All of them looked undernourished, and disease appeared to be fairly common. There was no 'group' here - just survival by strength.


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

What a pitiable group Astoroth had found himself with. No factions, no culture (aside from survival of the fittest), no apparent escape plans, just simple resignation to a brief life of misery. Perhaps they were due for a second chance at life. After all, while he had an agreement with Eleanor, the specifics of that deal had been left awfully vague....

Waiting until mealtime to see what the procedure is. If (as I suspect), it's simply the guards dumping stuff through the top hatch, I'd like to telekinetically grab as much of it as I can.


Eventually, a hatch at the top of the area opened up - and much like you suspected, it really was food just being dropped in, with no care at all for the people below. Given it was enough to feed about 80% of the prisoners, it was actually quite a bit of food... though your telekinesis looked like it would be enough to grab basically all of it.


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

The food dropped through the hatch - and promptly floated over to Astoroth's junk pile. This served three purposes: it put him in a position of power, it almost guaranteed he now had everyone's full attention, and it kept the food from falling into the filthy hold water.

Pausing a moment to make sure that A) the food-dropper's left and B) I'm not immediately attacked by everyone in the prison hold. No sense in writing up a speech if I'm too busy fighting people off to deliver it. XD
-------------------------------------------------------
Also, since I've presumably had a couple hours, I'd like to have used divine shapechanger to get closer to determining which prisoner is Graest.


As the food moved your way, the entire throng of the prison's population surged towards you. Most of them were clearly hungry - and quite willing to mob you in order to try and get it unless something stopped them.

(Incidentally, you were able to pinpoint one thin fellow as definitely having the powers of a shapechanger.)


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

Calmly, Astoroth separated the food into equal portions and began floating it to the other prisoners, dropping it directly into their hands so it wouldn't be contaminated by the filthy water in the hold. The initial portions went to anyone that appeared particularly strong or might have leadership qualities. Then he sent food to those who looked the most hungry (and the shapechanger). He kept no food for himself and made sure that everyone received at least some nourishment.

"I have no need for food, so this only has value to me for its attention-grabbing properties. I came to this world for purely academic reasons and was imprisoned here because I'm planetouched - and therefore an abomination in the eyes of those in power. However, I don't intend to simply remain here, wallowing in filth and misery until death takes me: I possess abilities that our jailers are unaware of and have survived places much more dangerous than this prison. What I lack is knowledge about this world.

"My proposal is simple: aid me, and I'll get you safely out of this place."


It helped to be neutral in moral matters - a more righteous deity probably couldn't have explained trying to release a crowd that was, as far as you could tell, more-or-less entirely composed of criminals.

"And how're you gonna do that?" one of the prisoners called out. "It's not as simple as hopping over the side and goin' for a swim!"


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

Astoroth gave the speaker a nod. "I assume as much. After all, if escape was that easy, I'm sure you would have done so by now." As he continues speaking, his form gradually blurs into translucence, floats to the other junk pile, and turns back into his regular Sylph appearance [ooc](Alteration: air elemental transformation). "Among other things, I'm rather mobile. And, as the tattooed gentleman found out earlier, I can hold my own in a fight. However, leaving this filthy hold is the only thing I can do right now. I'm not from this world and know very little about its people, customs, and everything else that allows one to survive and thrive. That's where you actually have me at an advantage. You have a lifetime's experience living here, know people on the outside, and are familiar with all the subtle nuances that allow one to avoid meeting an untimely end.

"For me, getting out of here is as simple as hopping over the side of this ship. It's what happens after I've escaped that gives me pause. I imagine that most of you feel powerless about your current situation, but I can tell you that knowledge itself is power. Share your knowledge with me, and I'll share my power with you. United, we are stronger than the sum of our parts."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (16) + 20 = 36


Convincing a crowd was rarely hard for a deity - especially when you decided to do it in person.

"What do you want to know?" one person called out. "I mean, Toiltown's got districts that are a lot like little cities in their own right. I'll talk, but it'll help if you tell us somewhere you want to start." Most of the crowd looked like they agreed.


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

Sorry about the delay: I'm still getting used to the site redesign.

"There are two main topics that I currently lack information on - this prison and the districts themselves. For the former, I haven't been here long enough to learn guard rotations, defenses, and other things that might simplify an escape attempt. Those of you who've been here the longest can help with that. As for the latter, there are two things we'll need: time and connections. Once we're out of here, we'll be hunted by the authorities. Anything that makes things more difficult for them to find us increases the likelihood that we'll succeed. I've heard that Festival tends to be rather chaotic, might that be a potential place to go? Regardless of where we go, though, we'll need outside assistance. If any of you were members of an organization, for instance, or are owed favors, you may be of assistance in this regard. I have an associate who would aid me, but as she's a planetouched, I'm unsure of her current status. Together, we're quite formidable, but we'll need more allies to ensure all of us can stay free."

See how I'm attempting to play this? Astoroth's probably going to end up causing a fair bit of chaos on this world, as it reminds him too much of Cheliax. XD


Doesn't help that they're still in the middle of it. XD I think it'll be good when they're done, though. Lots of people seem to be appreciating the bigger text size, but they definitely need to fix a few linking issues.

As you talked, you got the feeling that the prisoners were faintly amused, and eventually one of them was more-or-less nominated as the spokesman. "Funny thing about Toiltown is that it ain't so hard to hide, if you know how. Nobody likes guards who ask too many questions... and it's not like the nobles really mind more dead bodies." he said. "As for the guards, they barely look at us unless we make too much noise. Figure we ain't even worth the dirt under their boots."


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

"A mass escape is rather difficult to simply ignore, I'd imagine. Or is that sort of thing not considered noteworthy here?"


"The Blight's got more than three million people, and most of us're Lowfolk. A thousand of us could escape and just vanish into Toiltown - a few dozen prisoners is literally a rounding error. Some guards'll get punished, and they might hunt the streets a bit, but life will go on here. You'd have to be pretty special to get remembered."


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

"Like a planetouched from another world, I suppose?" Astoroth gave a faint chuckle. "As I said, I need you just as much as you need me."


"...Admittedly, you'll stick out more than most." the man said after a few moments. "But if we can get out, getting you a disguise shouldn't be hard at all. Bad clothes, more dirt, hood... you're just another face in the crowd and nobody'll care."


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

"Very well," Astoroth nodded. "Does anyone know what's dangerous about the outside? Is the water caustic? Do monsters lurk in it? Why do those who venture out that way never come back?"


At that, there were a lot of shrugs.

"I think 'water' is a little too generous for Sister Lyme." someone opined. "It's more of a muck, really."

"And sometimes Jack's Candle rises up and chokes the life out of anyone who can't get away in time. Father Canker don't care if you're a believer or not." someone else added.

A third, sounding a bit more worried than the rest, added, "And I hear there's a big sea serpent down there. It usually stays away from the surface - the navy wouldn't take kindly to a thing like that - but whole ships have gone missing when the Canker's at its worst. They say some of the fishmen worship it."


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

"I'm beginning to get a better picture of the outside. My thanks. What are Jack Candle and Father Canker?"


An older woman spoke up at that. "Jack's Candle is one of many names for the Canker. The fog that rises from the river takes many forms, and the candle is one of the deadliest. It's usually safe enough, but there've been times when hundreds of people were taken in minutes. Father Canker is the god of the river, the lord of poison, silence, and smog. He don't have much of an opinion of people, taking loyal and disloyal, kind and cruel alike." she paused for a moment. "He's less worshiped than... placated. There's a few what claim to be priests of his, but I've never seen them meself."


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

Know(religion): 1d20 + 21 + 1d8 ⇒ (7) + 21 + (3) = 31 (do I know about Father Canker - particularly his likes and dislikes?)

Poisonous smog and a river god. That would definitely make escape via the hole in the hold more complicated.


Being the god of knowledge helps in many ways - and as you mused the details of a very obscure entity, your Book flipped open and started turning pages.

According to the information there, Father Canker (aka Brother Choke and the Silent Assassin) is a neutral deity, with the domains of Air, Death, Trickery, and Weather. Only offering four domains despite being a deity rather definitively puts him in the 'lesser deity' category - functionally irrelevant from a mortal's point of view, but it means he's more vulnerable in direct confrontations and likely prefers to avoid direct engagements with stronger powers. At the height of your power, you would have easily overwhelmed him. (That, and he's definitely real, not simply a rumor or false belief.)

His symbol is a smoking brazier or a shard of opaque glass, and he favors poisons and poisoned weapons. His typical worshipers include beggars, grieving mothers and fathers, belkers, some undead and psychotic thieves/murderers.

At this point, the Book starts to go into more flowery detail about what he's like, noting as follows: He is at your window, he swallows the breath of your children as he chokes them, sobbing as he does. Father Canker seems to be a god wholly of Casterhagi origin. He represents the ever-present danger to be found in the noxious fumes of the Canker and the choking smog of the city. Jack’s Candle is said to be his manifestation.

Father Canker is not so much revered as placated, and many beggars and those forced to live in the lowest parts of the city along the banks of Sister Lyme where the mists rise highest and the sea breezes are at their weakest live in constant fear of the choking miasma that can come without warning and leave all it encounters dead where they lay. Parents of young children who die of crib death, the Canker’s suffocating fumes, or virtually any other cause often see Father Canker as the protector of their lost child’s soul and make votive offerings into the Great Lyme River during their grieving period, a time that can sometimes last years or decades. The authorities sometimes have to keep a careful watch for these activities on days when there is a high fire danger on the river.

The Book further notes there is a local rumour — or fairy tale — that floats around Castorhage. Some people say that Brother Choke has a weakness, that he is afraid of birdsong. Whether there is any truth in that, many locals keep a canary in their homes hopefully to ward him away. They have come to know that when the bird stops singing, he is at hand, and it is time leave quickly.


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

Now I'm worried about cloudkill.... Any info about favored offerings? If I happen to run into him, I'd prefer to stay on his good (or indifferent) side. XD


Cloudkill does seem like a spell his stronger followers would favor... XD

Checking through the Book's entry, he doesn't seem to have any 'favored' offerings, per se. However, you do spy some details about night vigils where rats or other small animals are sacrificed as burnt offerings when the Canker is especially thick. There's also the burning of thick incense for the Feast of Fools to hide its presence from Father Canker, and grieving mothers are apparently known to set cornhusk dolls alight and cast them into the Lyme as votive offerings. That explained why the authorities in Castorhage had to keep watch along the river...


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

"I'm going to make a quick scouting run outside. Perhaps I can find something of use. I'll return shortly."

If there are no guards around and I don't see any thick fog outside, I'll go through the hole in the hold. I plan to stay close to the ship and will assume water elemental form if needed. Goal is to identify potential obstacles for an escape (like a sea serpent), see approximately how far from the mainland we are, and locate that boat they said they'd leave out for me.


Since there wasn't a whole lot of noise, the guards didn't seem to be looking inside at the moment. As you got up to the hole leading outside, however, you did see a small boat there... enough to hold three or four people at most, counting the nervous-looking man who was staying out-of-sight of the people inside.


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

What a surprising lack of subtlety his 'employer' showed. There must be another reason none of the prisoners had spotted this yet.

Astoroth will take the most direct route to the boat - even if that means dropping directly on top of it.


The reason nobody else had seen the boat yet was probably because nobody was really interested in sticking their head out the hole and looking around. The boat was a little like a person hiding just outside a window... and the lack of light coming from outside (you'd been in the cell for quite awhile) further disguised them.

The boat's pilot flinched slightly, then glanced up at you... and seemed to recognize you. "Did you find him?" the man whispered.


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

"Yes," Astoroth replied nonchalantly. "How much have you been briefed?"


"Enough. Where is he?" the boat's pilot asked, looking around for the person he clearly expected would be with you. "We've already been here too long - we need to get going before someone sees us."


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

"Still in the hold. He's not being particularly outgoing. I just stepped out for a brief scouting session to assess the dangers of these waters. Especially since immediately finding a boat waiting right outside the hole in the prison wall would be rather suspicious."


"Not if it's part of the plan." the pilot answered, squinting a little bit. "I'm not riskin' myself forever."


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

"There's no need for you to risk yourself. Row us somewhere you can let yourself out. My finding a boat that was carelessly left abandoned is much more believable."


The man considered for a moment. "And do you know where you're supposed to go?" he answered quietly. "We're not interested in having you just vanish after you agreed to the deal."


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

The man's caution was expected. "Yes." While Astoroth fully intended Graest to inform him at an appropriate time, he was more than capable of simply reaching into the man's mind and pulling out the information.


At that, the man looked faintly amused. "Only place I'm getting off is back on the edge of the river. Ain't many safe places aside from the docks - and even those aren't very safe sometimes." He slowly began rowing away. "Just remember - it's not me you need to impress if you want to get totally cleared."


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

"In that case, it appears that we have nothing more to discuss," Astoroth responds drily as he begins to float back to the prison vessel.
I'm high enough of a level that I can lift Medium objects, so flight should be a simple matter.


You're BAAAAAAAACK! 8D I hope everything went... well, from what I heard, not perfectly, but at least reasonably well. XD

And lifting yourself is a piece of cake - that's what your Flight talent is for. XD

Moving away from the small boat - and the confused man who thought he knew what the plan was - you moved back towards the prison vessel... and the somewhat frightened and awed gazes of the prisoners within, many of whom may have never seen so much as a cantrip before.


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

Astoroth landed atop one of the refuse piles and gazed over the mass of prisoners. "I found a boat, but it's only large enough for three people. For all of us to escape, it'll take much more than that." He didn't share the other potential options at the moment. If any of the prisoners had even a little intelligence and survival instinct, they'd do it for him.

He also took a moment to locate Grast in the crowd and analyze his history. Spending 2 Mythic Power to use Know Secrets on him. What's he know about the wererat colony in the Nettles and/or Uriah Agaric.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Remind me approximately how many people are down here with me. I'm not necessarily intending to organize a mass escape, but Astoroth doesn't see a need to punish someone with life in prison for a relatively minor offense. He'd help political prisoners and petty criminals escape if it's not unduly dangerous or they have something to offer.


There are a few dozen criminals here. You were asked to get one out. XD It would take a pretty big boat to move everyone - or enough magic to get genuinely noticed in a city that would absolutely go hardcore on the investigation.

Looking through the crowd, you eventually set your gaze on the small, thin form of Ammos Grast - the halfling has striking brown eyes nestled underneath huge eyebrows, and when you're actually looking, he has a rather vivid appearance compared to most down here.

Moments later, images of his life flicker into your mind. You see his father, Marren Grast, the head of one of the families of wererats that live on Festival. You see that Ammos is talented as a rogue, but that as a bastard son, he's truly little more than a commoner with delusions of grandeur. He believes the world will treat him as he deserves - arrogance, to the core - but that very mindset makes him easy to fool if one mentions the Family. You see he has a partner - another wererat named Obed Gride - and while he has limited knowledge of the man you're looking for, his connections may know more.


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

That's what I'd figured. Don't worry - Astoroth isn't interested in forcibly taking over the ship or anything like that. XD

"Due to the limited resources, unless something changes, I'll only be able to take a few individuals with me once I'm ready to escape. Two or three at most. I'll leave it to you to decide who those people will be."

With that, Astoroth flew over to the other refuse pile, giving the prisoners space to think. Once they were occupied, he sent a wisp of air to gently nudge Grast in his direction.
Stealth: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (18) + 16 = 34


A moment after you spoke, you noticed that about half the prisoners looked ready to kill the other half - then each other - over a chance to escape. And they weren't likely to wait very long to start doing that. Of course, you could always just let them... though the commotion might draw the guards.

(The rest - those who knew they couldn't defend themselves - just looked let down and resigned to their fates.)


HP: 187/187 | AC: 26; T: 17; FF: 21; CMD: 28 | Fort: +19; Ref: +19; Will: +18 (+4 vs illusions) | Int: +17 (forewarned); Perc: +22+1d8 (+4 vs traps)
Daily Abilities:
Spell Points 4/4; feather fall 1/1; Barroom Brawler 1/1; Breeze-Kissed 1/1; Diviner's Fortune 11/11; Inspiration 12/12; Knockout 1/1 (DC 18), Surge 8/11 (2)
Advanced Sylph Incanter 9//Skirmishing Scout Striker //Battered Detective Empiricist 8 (Archmage/Genius 4)

With guards came keys - potentially allowing the prisoners to get out of the hold if they worked together. Perhaps the more intelligent ones would figure that out. If not, the inevitable commotion would be an excellent distraction while Astoroth and Grast left via the hole in the wall.

Is Grast responding to the nudges? The Stealth roll was to keep everyone else from noticing the spellcasting. I'm wanting to have a private chat with him.

2,351 to 2,400 of 2,527 << first < prev | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Forgotten God (Table 5) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.