Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

The Deepest Shadows Lie Longest (Inactive)

Game Master Dreaming Warforged

Carrion Hill Module


951 to 1,000 of 1,789 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>

***INACTIVE*** HP 37/40 AC 19/Touch AC 13/FF AC 15 (16 w/buckler); Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7 Inquisitor/7

"I'll be up directly." The inquisitor returns to the bookshelves and quickly flips through the books on ciphers (provided there aren't that many), looking for marginalia.


Map

One of the books: Azilanthas' Occulting of the Phrase: A compilation of tools and theories on the making and breaking of cyphers has seen heavy use. Windle feels it can provide useful clues as to the method used by Hyve to encrypt his messages. +2 bonus on the Linguistic roll.


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:20/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9
Deimus wrote:
The code could be broken through a linguistics, and intelligence check, appropriate knowledge. Taking 20 is tricky, as you could have the code say anything. I mentioned the library downstairs has some books on cyphers. Also, the spell Comprehend Languages *cough* Windle *cough* would give a great bonus on the skill check.

Grigor hems and haws over the letter...

Well... I think I know some of the symbols are... seen them used before, he turns his head and spits, heedless that he's indoors, in another case.

There was that library, he says thinking. Lets see if we can find a cypher...

He stops as Windle disappears into the library and then returns with the book.

Nice work. You want to take the lead and I assist with checking through the possible cyphers? If we put our heads together on this I think we have a chance.

Aid Another Linguistics. Roll if cannot 'Take 10' 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

I figure this is like two people working together to do a Soduku or crossword. Checking the rules on Linguistics and we are gonna need a pretty good roll. We are looking at DC30 or more according to RAW.. if there is a spell that will help, lets get that out there


***INACTIVE*** HP 37/40 AC 19/Touch AC 13/FF AC 15 (16 w/buckler); Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7 Inquisitor/7

"I only hope that the visitor didn't destroy or remove the key." Windle casts comprehend languages and applies himself to the problem at hand.

Linguistics check to decipher (including Aid Another, book bonus, and spell bonus): 1d20 + 3 + 2 + 2 + 20 ⇒ (6) + 3 + 2 + 2 + 20 = 33

Cruddy roll; we'll see if the bonuses are high enough.


Map

With mostly everyone involved, you get a shot at the cypher. It takes you about two hours to make sense of the scheme used, but you manage to force the cypher into revealing its secret...

My dear Arlend,

It is with great joy that I have received your last letter, and the news of the finding of the Manuscript. As you know, my agents have met with great success in recovering some of the ingredients mentioned in it. I am hopeful the Crown will be in our possession soon, a exhilarating prelude to His return.

Now, you’ve mentioned a certain reluctance to get for me the Manuscript, mentioning a project. I am certain this endeavour must be of great promise, but I must press the importance of Our cause. Simply sending me the list of ingredients to be gathered is not enough. I must study the manuscript itself, lest I miss an important subtlety in the phrasing. My agent is on his way to Ascanor Lodge, in the heart of Shudderwood. See that the manuscript finds its way there. Or if you wish, leave it with Baveshk. He’ll find me.

I am willing to wait, but not for long.

Your Master and Friend,
Adivion

Grigor:
Grigor, Adivion Adrissant is the son of Baron Meier. The same one you were investigating in Caliphas before you were stripped of your rank.

Please see the ooc thread.


***INACTIVE*** HP 37/40 AC 19/Touch AC 13/FF AC 15 (16 w/buckler); Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7 Inquisitor/7

Cleartext in hand, Windle begins to pack away the rest of the notes. "Grigor, can you have the guards stay here and protect this place? We have to get to Mayor Heggry immediately...I fear we may already be too late."


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:20/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

Windle's words barely have time to ring in the air before Grigor dashes for street and the troops.

Move then Windle!, he calls from the door as he exits the room.


***INACTIVE*** HP 37/40 AC 19/Touch AC 13/FF AC 15 (16 w/buckler); Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7 Inquisitor/7

"I want the evidence...we are about to accuse one of the Mayor's advisors, after all."


Taldan Roguish Herbalist/7; Hp:45/45; AC:17/14/13; darkvision 60'; trapspotter 10'; perception +12

"Wha? What?" Valiard asks confusedly, following Windle and Grigor out into the street.


***INACTIVE*** HP 37/40 AC 19/Touch AC 13/FF AC 15 (16 w/buckler); Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7 Inquisitor/7

"According to the note you found, some person named Adivion was telling Myre to turn the Manuscript--the book we found in the catacombs under the city--over to an associate of (presumably) his, one Baveshk. Unless I have misunderstood the name, this is the same person who works for the mayor...and with whom Frater Kolnikov and I left the Manuscript. This Adivion does not sound like the sort who means well, so I would prefer to keep the Manuscript from him."


Male Human Cleric (Cloistered) 7

Iozef appears quite disturbed over the fact they left the Manuscript with a traitor. Keeping quiet for now--his anger likely to be misdirected if he says anything at this time--he lets Windle explain to Valiard what the situation is.


Female Changeling Witch 7 | hp 35/35 | AC: 19 (13 touch, 17 ff) CMD 15 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +8 | Perception +1 (+3 w/ familiar) | Init +2 | Attack of Opportunity +3

Mireza loses interest in the code quite quickly and lets her spider out to spin a web up in a corner of the old church and maybe catch a quick snack before the scholars have finished their work. She lies flat on her back in one of the old pews and sings quietly to herself.

DM, can I use the time to fill my new spell slots, per the 15-minutes-to-prepare-less-than-a-full-contingent-of-spells rule? Otherwise, I can't use my new level 6 toys until the next day.


Map

Of course you can.

Windle and Grigor steps out of the old church as they come face to face with Commander Feldk: "Sarenrae's burn, look at you! You look like you've just saw Asmodeus. What's going on? ... How can I help?"


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:20/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

Guard this house well Sir... and get us to the Mayor - Quickly!. Is there a wagon available?


Map

"Take the horses!"

I'll need ride checks :) Who's going?


Male Human Cleric (Cloistered) 7

Iozef looking clearly uncomfortable with the idea of riding a horse, "You all go. Go on. I'll catch up with you." He says as he picks up his pace; the thought of the distance involved not even crossing his mind.


Taldan Roguish Herbalist/7; Hp:45/45; AC:17/14/13; darkvision 60'; trapspotter 10'; perception +12

"Mireza, can you ride? I am not good on a horse..."

Valiard stops abruptly and spins on his heel looking around, obviously thinking.

Knowledge:Local, Valiard needs a carriage, cart or coach, preferrably one with a driver1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:20/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

LOL - I was thinking of a rank of ride :D, and sadly didn't take it

Grigor winced, knowing his skill as a rider was small but he was nimble enough to mount a horse without too much issue and had a decent enough sense of balance, even in the Saddle.

He grabs the reins of a horse and sets off as a trot.

Take 10? I believe 'Ride' is one of those 'everyman skills'


Map

Valiard is confident that by going down Segar Alley, then turning left on Caliphas Ave, he should find a few carriages, as they often hover around Frash Hotel.


Map

Taking 10 is fine. I'll need a roll if you wish to go all out.


***INACTIVE*** HP 37/40 AC 19/Touch AC 13/FF AC 15 (16 w/buckler); Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7 Inquisitor/7

Windle also mounts up. No Ride skill, but good DEX and light armor.


Female Changeling Witch 7 | hp 35/35 | AC: 19 (13 touch, 17 ff) CMD 15 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +8 | Perception +1 (+3 w/ familiar) | Init +2 | Attack of Opportunity +3

"I've never climbed on a horse before," Mireza muses, looking up at the massive beast with interest, but if Valiard is going to take a carriage, she'd as soon ride with him as risk slipping off the high back of the animal into the muddy streets. "Young priest," she urges Iozef as he sets off, seemingly intent on jogging to Crown Manor, "come and ride in the carriage."


Map

In but a few minutes, the group makes to the entrance of Rag Manor. A heavy rain is now pouring and the streets are mostly empty, but the courtyard is still buzzing with the coming and going of messenger. Quickly, rumours reach your ears of two buildings having collapsed and of great turmoil in the Filth, where a mob is keeping the Crows busy.


***INACTIVE*** HP 37/40 AC 19/Touch AC 13/FF AC 15 (16 w/buckler); Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7 Inquisitor/7

Before the party enters, Windle reaches out to cup a bit of rainwater in one hand, then casts a spell. Casting perceive cues. "Grigor, if he is still here I would prefer to initiate our discussion with him."


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:20/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

You lead then, agrees Grigor.


***INACTIVE*** HP 37/40 AC 19/Touch AC 13/FF AC 15 (16 w/buckler); Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7 Inquisitor/7

Windle walks in and heads for where he and Iozef worked with Baveshk.


Male Human Cleric (Cloistered) 7
Mireza wrote:
"I've never climbed on a horse before," Mireza muses, looking up at the massive beast with interest, but if Valiard is going to take a carriage, she'd as soon ride with him as risk slipping off the high back of the animal into the muddy streets. "Young priest," she urges Iozef as he sets off, seemingly intent on jogging to Crown Manor, "come and ride in the carriage."

Iozef stops and ponders it a moment. Straightening his vest, "Very well. That is more tolerable than riding upon such a creature as that."


Taldan Roguish Herbalist/7; Hp:45/45; AC:17/14/13; darkvision 60'; trapspotter 10'; perception +12

"Are we all bullying in, or do you want us to stay outside? Also, is there a back door?"


Map

Windle and Iozef lead you to Baveshk's quarters. All is quiet. His bed lay as thought it hasn't been used last night. A secret compartment in the flooring lay open, but empty.

On the desk, an envelope to Iozef and Windle...

Iozef and Windle:

Dear pharasmins,

I regret having to take away the book, but it will serve a greater purpose than the mere redemption of the Hill. Ustalav awaits!

Still, I did leave you Hyve's sword. He kept bragging on how he found it and, once I figured its nature, thought I would serve you well.

On a final note, I quite enjoyed working with you, so I say this meaning well: Don't be misled by your empty faith. There is no redemption in the Afterlife, only in this realm lies the true life, alive, or not.

Be well,

Baveshk


***INACTIVE*** HP 37/40 AC 19/Touch AC 13/FF AC 15 (16 w/buckler); Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7 Inquisitor/7

Windle reads the letter, his usual pleasant expression fading as he reaches its end and hands it over to the others. "He hid the sin in his heart well, but I will not be fooled a second time. When the monster is slain and the last of the Keepers taken, I will pursue this blasphemer and give him to the judgment he denies. I have no right to ask it, but will you join me?"


Taldan Roguish Herbalist/7; Hp:45/45; AC:17/14/13; darkvision 60'; trapspotter 10'; perception +12

Valik just throws his arms over his head.

"I don't even know what we are doing here, much less why you are asking us to "join" you!" Valik turns and points at Windle. "You dragged us half-way across the city for a letter? Hold on a moment, perhaps you need a bit of adjustment:" Valik spins and points out the door. "Slime monster thing eating people and houses," he turns and points at the letter. "A letter. Allow me to ask, which of these spells eminent doom for the city that I live in? Hmmm. Hold on, I am thinking. Wow this is difficult."

"Can we go now? I think that you have a city to save."

"And before you ask or comment, when I said "you" I meant it. I am just a bloody herbalist, I am not equipped or trained for this sort of nonsense, but I will at least do my best to make sure that you bloody hero types are able to do your job, even if that means that I have to beat you with a stick until you are standing at the gates of the Asylum."

"Does anybody else have a side trip they need to make while Slimy eats a few more people?"


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:20/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

Grigor growls.

And what if the missing Kludge Sucker was controlling said Slimy or assassinating the town leadership? Would that make things any easier?

He turns again for the door.

I'm getting too old for this stuff.

Outside looks for someone who can give him a report of what happened.

I think head for the ruckus rather than go back to where we came from - nothings burning down there


Male Human Cleric (Cloistered) 7

Question for Valiard: Who's Valik? :)

As Iozef reads the letter, his eye begins to twitch as his anger reaches epic proportions. Doing all that he can to remain calm, he listens to Windle's offer and simply responds with an ever so quiet yet vengeful "Yes."


Female Changeling Witch 7 | hp 35/35 | AC: 19 (13 touch, 17 ff) CMD 15 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +8 | Perception +1 (+3 w/ familiar) | Init +2 | Attack of Opportunity +3

Mireza looks up from her perusal of the letter obliviously. "He's very polite. What's this about a book?"


Taldan Roguish Herbalist/7; Hp:45/45; AC:17/14/13; darkvision 60'; trapspotter 10'; perception +12

Valiard follows Grigor back outside.

"Do you think that something has changed? I heard people shouting about more attacks on the way in, something about the Filth...I wonder what buildings were attacked in the Filth...or if they just collapsed from neglect."


Map

The news from the courtyard is that a mob of citizens from the Filth, having had enough of buildings collapsing, have taken to the street and ask for Heggry to fix it, asking with sticks and stones. A lot of Crows are down there to try and push them back. It seems the situation is quickly spinning out of control.


Male Human Cleric (Cloistered) 7

"Well this just keeps getting better and better. I suggest we give an attempt to calm the citizens down. If we don't find a way to stop this now, we are going to have bigger problems than some thing destroying us one by one." Iozef immediately heads toward the commotion.


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:20/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

Grigor heads to the nearest mob and crows and attempts to bring Order to Chaos by lending his experience and leadership.

Profession Watchman 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

Get Along Home Or I'll Have You In The Nick! Don't Think I Don't See You Yuri!


Male Human Cleric (Cloistered) 7

Turning his attention to Grigor, "Mr. Vachkov, threatening to arrest everyone is not going to help." Turning to the unruly crowd, "Ladies and gentleman, please, this is no way to solve anything. We are doing all that we can to stop this menace and I assure you, we are near to our completion. What can we accomplish by coming after each other? All you are doing is aiding this thing that we are trying to stop. Please, I implore you, we are only asking for a bit more time. Please."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:20/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

You stay out of trying to do my job and I'll promise not to preach from your pulpit, Grigor snarls from the side of his mouth.

Turning back to the crowd, he directs one of the crows to grab one of those who seems to be a trouble maker stirring up the others. He pushes he way to the area with the loudest agitators and pushes hard.

You are keeping us from killin' the thing you idiots - you want it taken care of? Stop keeping us busy with all this nonsense and either go home or head out the Hill for a day or two.


Map

Sorry, couldn't post before.

The mob will take a while to get under control. Soon after you get there, Commander Feldk arrives behind you: "Vachov! You have orders! Get your ass to the Asylum and make sure you make it back alive so I can flail your ass for insubordination! Now move Crow!!!"


Male Human Cleric (Cloistered) 7

Iozef just shakes his head in exasperation as he realizes the Crow and this mob will not be deterred. "We can accomplish nothing here. The quicker we take care of this issue, the better. Time to go."


Female Changeling Witch 7 | hp 35/35 | AC: 19 (13 touch, 17 ff) CMD 15 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +8 | Perception +1 (+3 w/ familiar) | Init +2 | Attack of Opportunity +3

Having her own professional reasons to avoid angry mobs of Ustalavan peasants, Mireza waits well back from the action for the Crow and young priest to return and make their way to the Asylum.


Male Human Cleric (Cloistered) 7

As Iozef makes his way back to the others, "To the Asylum. We've work to do." He says as he dusts off his sleeves and straightens his vest. He then turns and heads toward the Asylum.


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:20/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

Grigor clinically shoves a shouting face deeper into the crowd before heading off for the asylum.


Taldan Roguish Herbalist/7; Hp:45/45; AC:17/14/13; darkvision 60'; trapspotter 10'; perception +12

"Nothing like a near-riot to spice up the day. Murder in the morning, a riot for lunch. Supper should be fun..." Valiard shakes his head.

"Well should we hop in the carriage and see about heading to the Asylum? It looks like Grigor is walking, but he may change his mind after a block or two of slogging through the mud."


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:20/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

I'll assume Grigor still has the horse


Map

You make your way to the other side of town. The rain is now a heavy downpour and the sky gets torn and sliced by blue lightning, followed by the low rumble of thunder, reminding you of the power the world can summon.

Crove Asylum is located at the bottom of the Tangle, on the eastern side of town. The building is the only one made of stone in this part of town. A neoclassical Ustalavan design, with obvious Chelish inspirations, it stands low, with a single floor, but wide, his north and south wings extending far through the park surrounding it.

The gate is unmanned but locked and you see no orderlies or patients in the courtyard. Grey clouds seem to congregate around the asylum, almost disappearing in its dark grey walls, as if swallowed by the gargoyles adorning its walls.

Very few windows can be seen from where you stand, and they are all high perched, narrow, and covered with bars, definitely designed to keep things in, not out...

From the gate, a straight path leads to the main central entrance.


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:20/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

Not sure how the Rogue (and Urban Ranger) Trap Finding feature works here... A rogue adds 1/2 her level to Perception skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device skill checks (minimum +1). A rogue can use Disable Device to disarm magic traps. If its generic to all Disable Device skill checks then add +3, if its specific to traps then let me know.

After tying the horse to a part of the fence, Grigor looks long and hard at the gates, then comes to a decision.

Gather round close to me and give me some light, with some of you facing outwards... don't want people to see this.

He then digs under his cloak and pulls out a leather roll of hooks, probes and other paraphernalia that lawmen the world over call "Thieves Tools", but what others in the 'trade' may refer to as 'The hooks and rakes'.

He takes his time studying the lock.

I'm gonna stop here to give other players a chance to step in if they wish or buff me... if no one steps in let me know. I'll likely hit myself with my wand of cats grace first before making the attempt... or hit the person who makes the attempt. I have a very respectable Disable Device score but if it can be beat... step up


Taldan Roguish Herbalist/7; Hp:45/45; AC:17/14/13; darkvision 60'; trapspotter 10'; perception +12

"Do you think that we should take a look around before deciding how to go about this?" Valiard whispered. The thunder, bleak skies and eerie surroundings had him on edge, there was something about this place that just gave him the feeling like someone was walking on his grave.

Of course it could be noon, with the birds singing and the sun shining, and I still wouldn't want to go into that building. Valiard thinks, eyeing the Asylum.

951 to 1,000 of 1,789 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Deepest Shadows Lie Longest - IC All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.