Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

The Deepest Shadows Lie Longest (Inactive)

Game Master Dreaming Warforged

Carrion Hill Module


851 to 900 of 1,789 << first < prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | next > last >>

Taldan Roguish Herbalist/7; Hp:45/45; AC:17/14/13; darkvision 60'; trapspotter 10'; perception +12

Valiard stands up from where he was leaning against a table and stretches.

"Well I am one for some sort of supper, a good scrub and then sleep. I need time to let the spell wear off." Seeing the puzzled look on the Mayor's face, he explains "Myre hit me with a spell that, as as was explained to me, sucked the life out of me. I feel like I aged twenty years in an instant."

"Speaking of unpleasantness, I don't think that we should separate. I don't trust very many people at this moment...but at least I can trust you lot...as long as we don't go wandering off it should keep the chance that someone will do something fiddly," he says waggling his fingers in a vaguely magical manner, "to one of us. Until this is over and that thing out there is buried and gone I think that I want to keep my...companions? close."

He turns to Mireza.

"The good thing that comes from all of this is that I can ask if you, Mireza, if would like to see if we can find something edible around here." Valik asks, offering an elbow and gesturing to the door.


Map

Heggry smiles weakly at Valiard: "Very well then. Now is the time to regroup and recuperate. I too am washed. Baveksh! See that they get adjoining appartments for the night and that food be served this night and upon sunrise. Let's pray this night goes quiet."

You can roleplay or simply describe your evening and night, and any conversation you'd wish to have with people in Rag Manor. Depending on the flow, I'll move to the next morning when I feel it's appropriate. If you simply wish to skip to the morning, let me know, so that there is no unnecessary lapse.


Female Changeling Witch 7 | hp 35/35 | AC: 19 (13 touch, 17 ff) CMD 15 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +8 | Perception +1 (+3 w/ familiar) | Init +2 | Attack of Opportunity +3

Mireza seems startled out of her reverie by Valiard's invitation. Giving her head a little shake, she drags her eyes away from the mayor with difficulty but smiles at the apothecary's suggestion. She considers his proffered arm quizzically for a moment before her fingertips tentatively spider around his elbow. Letting him lead her away from the city officials, she leans closer once out of sight and earshot to whisper, "The mayor is not involved. He is surprised by the news of Myre ... and afraid of what your friend intends."


Male Human Cleric (Cloistered) 7

"I shall turn in and get the needed rest then. I expect to see you all ready and prepared to continue in the morning. Let's make sure none of you are late." Iozef then takes his leave and retires for the night.


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:32/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

Gregor talks with his new commander...

Seems to me that we are getting torn up by these lunatics... anything that will stop their damned magic would help but I doubt we got something on hand for that... maybe see if we got a Sawbones on hand who has some extra salves and potions... and that warrant. We have to take down these madmen and take them down hard.


Map

Commander Feldk gives you a scroll case of elaborately carved ivory, with golden tips at each end: "Here's your warrant Vachkov. Signed by me and the mayor. Use it well! As for equipment, we have some scrolls and potions, yes. Make me a list and I'll see what I can find... You've done well today." The last words are harder to pronounce, and are still weighted down by deep feelings regarding your past and present ways...


Taldan Roguish Herbalist/7; Hp:45/45; AC:17/14/13; darkvision 60'; trapspotter 10'; perception +12

Valiard nods at Mireza's words as they walk from the tent towards the main house, dodging minor functionaries and soldiers.

"Its nice to know that at least we are not serving the purposes of a madman. Anything we deal with from Heggry is politics...not much better in many case though."

After a few moments of walking toward the mayor's house, Valiard grins and looks towards Mireza, "You know, I have no idea where we are going."

"I guess we should ask where the mayor's kitchens are, and see if we can talk some food out of cooks. I doubt they have anything prepared for us."


***INACTIVE*** HP 37/40 AC 19/Touch AC 13/FF AC 15 (16 w/buckler); Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7 Inquisitor/7

Windle smiles slightly at the door through which Iozef left, then goes off to bed himself.


Female Changeling Witch 7 | hp 35/35 | AC: 19 (13 touch, 17 ff) CMD 15 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +8 | Perception +1 (+3 w/ familiar) | Init +2 | Attack of Opportunity +3
Valiard Tessar wrote:

Valiard nods at Mireza's words as they walk from the tent towards the main house, dodging minor functionaries and soldiers.

"Its nice to know that at least we are not serving the purposes of a madman. Anything we deal with from Heggry is politics...not much better in many case though."

After a few moments of walking toward the mayor's house, Valiard grins and looks towards Mireza, "You know, I have no idea where we are going."

"I guess we should ask where the mayor's kitchens are, and see if we can talk some food out of cooks. I doubt they have anything prepared for us."

"There were plates and cups in the mayor's room. There must be leftovers somewhere." She hums lightly under her breath for a few measures, then goes on. "I wonder if I can find a safe corner for my spider to spin a web where she won't be chased out by housecleaners. She hasn't eaten since early this morning either."


Map

The night is spent without any incident. Mireza and Valiard find food, and Mireza's spider finds a good corner to spin a web and feed.

Feel free to continue with some of the evening's conversation if you wish.

As dawn breaks, you feel the strain of yesterday's battles in your limb, the paralysis, blows, slips, drains, the rain even, all have taken a toll that a night's sleep won't wash away so easily.

As you are all gathered for a hearty breakfast, the sun peers through the lead windows of Rag Manor, announcing dawn, at the same time that Commander Feldk barges in: "There's been some development! A patrol of Crows have found Hyve dead in his house... murdered, not butchered. Someone else got to him!"


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:32/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

Pox and Buggeration!, swears Grigor rising from his seat... and almost seems he's going to rush for the door but it seems his thoughts catch up with him.

What news do you have Commander and who do we need to talk to for more details?


Map

"I've asked the area be secured. I thought you should have a look first."


Taldan Roguish Herbalist/7; Hp:45/45; AC:17/14/13; darkvision 60'; trapspotter 10'; perception +12

"Fine, but one of us should go to the Asylum with a Crow runner or two. If that thing goes after whatever his name was, at the Asylum, then we are going to need to act quickly."

"Hold on a second...what? Someone actually killed him, rather than being eaten or torn to pieces by the beast?"

Valiard curses under his breath and punches his fist into his hand.

"I knew killing Myre was a bad idea...well too late now. Hey, I wonder if this means that there was one extra person in the Sunless Grove that we don't know about?"


***INACTIVE*** HP 37/40 AC 19/Touch AC 13/FF AC 15 (16 w/buckler); Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7 Inquisitor/7

"Perhaps Crove decided that Hyve was too easy for the creature to kill, and chose to eliminate him rather than take the chance that he would be found and consumed. We shall have to examine the body, and see what we can determine about Hyve's arcane defenses."


Female Changeling Witch 7 | hp 35/35 | AC: 19 (13 touch, 17 ff) CMD 15 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +8 | Perception +1 (+3 w/ familiar) | Init +2 | Attack of Opportunity +3

Valiard, previous night:
After locating the kitchens and commandeering a few plates of whatever the Mayor and his advisors were eating, Mireza smiles across the table at Valiard. "Your youth should return to you by morning, but you still have scrapes and bruises over your pallor. There," she says, and Valiard feels the residual pain of his injuries fade away. "Now if your elf-friend comes to ask you to help her crush the mayor, you will be pretty enough to distract her." She hesitates and then looks pointedly at the leather armor covering his chest, where she had touched him outside the middenstone vats. "I put a scar on you there. It lets me heal you without touching you, but I can take it away if you wish to be unmarked."

Minimum she can heal if I roll all 1s is 7, and you get 5 from resting overnight so you're back at full hp by morning. Enervation ought to have expired, as well.

Need to update spells before we know what we're going to be facing today. I believe Iozef does, too.

EDIT: Spells updated and ready to go.


Map

So, what's the plan?


Female Changeling Witch 7 | hp 35/35 | AC: 19 (13 touch, 17 ff) CMD 15 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +8 | Perception +1 (+3 w/ familiar) | Init +2 | Attack of Opportunity +3

Mireza smiles and hums under her breath, a child's simple tune:
"Five little Keepers, where can they be?
Two crushed in the Grove, then there were three.
Three little Keepers, what will they do?
Myre fell by the vats, then there were two.
Two little Keepers, what have they done?
One murdered in the night, now there is one.
"

Check the dead guy and see if we can tell who or what killed him; then head to the Asylum? Grigor, Commander Feldk agreed to supply us some potions last night if you gave him a list. Shouldn't pass up the opportunity to get a few more resources if they're available. What should we ask for?


***INACTIVE*** HP 37/40 AC 19/Touch AC 13/FF AC 15 (16 w/buckler); Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7 Inquisitor/7

Sounds good to me. And I like the poem!


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:32/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

I'll be off then to look over the body but yes, we need to have a few crows watching that asylum

Spells as is


Map

Commander Feldk nods: "Very well, I'll have a squad nearby, to watch traffic at the same time as keeping an eye on the asylum. Let's go to Hyve's!"

Very nice poem!

You hit the street, just as the sun disappears behind the low hanging clouds. It seems the dry spell has ended, for the rain starts prickling down, like lead pellets on your skulls. The streets are a sharp contrast of yesterday's, for it is still quite early and the mob is sleeping. Still, as you pass patrols of Crows, weary, wet and bleary-eyed from the day and the night before, you can tell the town is wounded and about to blow soon...

You make your way from the Crown, down to the Tangle, to Elm Way, where Arlend Hyve resided in a small old church. (Knowledge (history)

From what you know, Arlend Hyve had lived at the Elm Way Church for nearly 15 years, and in those years had built a reputation as a man of knowledge, a scholar of the past, who'd made his reputation cataloguing the history of Ustalav and Carrion Hill.

You step in the church, only too eager to get out of the rain. The interior of the church is cold and damp. Two man-sized statues stand to each side of the room, both draped with gray
sheets. Dozens of sagging bookshelves stand along the walls, and a stone altar has been converted into a table.

On the old altar lies Arlend, face down, a sword stuck between his shoulder blades.


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:32/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

Grigor carefully and methodically searches for clues.

Perception +11 - Take 20 = +31


Taldan Roguish Herbalist/7; Hp:45/45; AC:17/14/13; darkvision 60'; trapspotter 10'; perception +12

Mireza, previous night:
"Well. I am not too thrilled with the idea of her visiting again. I don't trust politicians who see people as pawns, rather than living breathing folks who have needs and wants. She won't lift a finger if it doesn't get her obvious and immediate political gain." As Mireza explains the scar, Valiard looks surprised and a little shocked. "Well. I really don't know what to say to that...I think its the first time that I have been marked by a woman...and it will let you reach out and heal me." For a moment Valiard is silent, then he grins. "I guess I will have to see if it makes me dashing and roguish...well more dashing anyways...what do you think, a flowing silk shirt, open at the throat so people can just see the top of my scar? I am just kidding. Thank you for caring and keeping me alive Miri."

Valiard looks at the body of Hyve for a few moments before shrugging.

"Soooo. He's dead. And I think that this is pretty definitive that the slime-thing didn't do it. I bet this is political, nobody would be so stupid as to actually leave a sword in the back of a victim, unless the wanted the sword found. I would almost wager that its the mayor's sword...or something equally byzantine."

Valiard ignores the body and wanders off to look at the doors to the church, searching for signs of a break-in.

Perception 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13

"Hey Crow, get moving. We don't have all day to dilly-dally here, there is one more person we need to visit...and soon."


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:32/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

Patience!, Grigor growls.

Let me work, he says as he carefully examines not only the body but the room itself.


Male Human Cleric (Cloistered) 7

Knowledge (History): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21

Examining the body himself, "Yes, Mr. Tessar, he is quite dead. And it would appear senseless as to why they would leave the sword within him. Perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye."

Heal: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22 Heal check to determine if he might have been killed by some other means than the obvious. Maybe he was killed initially and this is just some form of ruse.


Female Changeling Witch 7 | hp 35/35 | AC: 19 (13 touch, 17 ff) CMD 15 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +8 | Perception +1 (+3 w/ familiar) | Init +2 | Attack of Opportunity +3

Valiard, previous night:
She colors a little pink with pleasure at the pet name. "You called me that before, at the middenstone factory. Like my name, but not." She smiles. "People aren't as good company after they've died as before," she explains, "although an exception might be made for Yarresh and his gang. I would never have expected ghouls to play ball, would you? I wonder what the rules of their game were." She stands a little reluctantly to go find the rooms which have been assigned to them. "Good night, Apothecary."

Mireza walks up to the corpse on the altar with interest, examining the way its loose limbs dangle over the sides and the aesthetic impression of the spatters of blood. "Not a work of artistry, no," she agrees with Valiard, "although we mustn't be too harsh; they did try to be dramatic."

Heal to see if he was killed by the sword in the back or by some other cause and then the sword placed afterwards, if he died on the table or his body placed there after he was killed, and to estimate time of death 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Knowledge (local) to recognize if the sword is unique and its owner identifiable or standard Crow issue or just an ordinary sword that could belong to anyone 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

When she has finished her examination, she goes to the covered statues and pulls the cloths off curiously.

Windle and Iozef might want to check out the bookshelves.


***INACTIVE*** HP 37/40 AC 19/Touch AC 13/FF AC 15 (16 w/buckler); Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7 Inquisitor/7

The inquisitor starts by carefully examining the area around the body, looking for tracks (or helping Grigor do that).

Survival check to track: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28

Knowledge (History) check to aid Iozef: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

"I met with him here not four weeks past, and I think I can remember where the local history books he used were."


Map

Iozef:
The Elm Way Church is an ancient temple of Aroden. It was a small church even during the Taldan rule of Carrion Hill. In the centuries since, it has served as a home, an alchemist shop, a museum, a base of operations for smugglers and thieves, and a guardhouse, but never again as a church. The building’s facade has yet kept its identity as a place of worship, and today, the place is known simply as the Elm Way Church.

Windle:
The room looks like there's been a struggle. Yet, upon closer inspection, you have the clear feeling that it's been staged to look like the killer and Hyve had a struggle. It's more likely that Hyve never saw it coming...

Mireza and Iozef:
Hyve is dead from the blade. Still, examining the body, you can tell he's been often in contact with alchemical substances, herbs and even poison.

Mireza:
The sword is quite unique. Strange markings and runes are etched along its blade and the bronze pummel is carved showing a weirdly shaped creature swallowing a human head.

Valiard:
Small rooms connect to the church. They are where Hyve slept cooked, ate and studied.

Grigor:
You search the main room, then follow Valiard in the smaller rooms. The place has been searched it seems. Yet, in the bedroom, you find the telltale signs of a hidden trapdoor leading below...

I'll be away until Monday.


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:32/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

Grigor searches through out the house and finally uncovers a trap door in the bedroom. He tries to open it, glaring at Valliard before he does so.


Male Human Cleric (Cloistered) 7

"Well, as is obvious, the blade is the main cause of death. Yet, it does appear he's been in contact with poison. Unsure of what type, but regardless, it wasn't the poison that killed him. I would gather that eventually it would have but the owner of this blade chose not to wait." He states as a matter of fact.

Turning his attention to the Inquisitor, "Let us peruse his collection then, Mr. Thetra. It's possible we may find something that could aid us in our endeavor."


Map

Mireza and Iozef:
He was regularly in contact, manipulating, poison.


***INACTIVE*** HP 37/40 AC 19/Touch AC 13/FF AC 15 (16 w/buckler); Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7 Inquisitor/7

Windle paces the room carefully while muttering to himself under his breath, occasionally shaking his head at something. "This is...not entirely unexpected. Although the degree of damage to the various furnishings and other items in the room is consistent with a struggle, the tracks and the pattern of damage are not. If I had to guess, I would say that the damage to the room was inflicted postmortem, and Hyve was taken by surprise and killed with minimal disturbance. Mireza, was there anything unusual about the sword?" While waiting for the witch to answer, he joins Iozef in examining the bookshelves.


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:32/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

Grigor see anything through the trap door?


Taldan Roguish Herbalist/7; Hp:45/45; AC:17/14/13; darkvision 60'; trapspotter 10'; perception +12

Valiard wanders over and peers into the trapdoor.

"Oh. Looks like a bolt-hole. Was it unlocked?"


Female Changeling Witch 7 | hp 35/35 | AC: 19 (13 touch, 17 ff) CMD 15 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +8 | Perception +1 (+3 w/ familiar) | Init +2 | Attack of Opportunity +3
Windle Thetra wrote:
Windle paces the room carefully while muttering to himself under his breath, occasionally shaking his head at something. "This is...not entirely unexpected. Although the degree of damage to the various furnishings and other items in the room is consistent with a struggle, the tracks and the pattern of damage are not. If I had to guess, I would say that the damage to the room was inflicted postmortem, and Hyve was taken by surprise and killed with minimal disturbance. Mireza, was there anything unusual about the sword?" While waiting for the witch to answer, he joins Iozef in examining the bookshelves.

"It's a lovely stabby thing," she replies absently, her eyes running up and down the visible part of the weapon protruding from Arlend Hyve's remains. "Runes and carvings... someone being swallowed... someone must be know who carried this. And it must have cost many pounds of cloves. Why leave it behind?"

The sword is quite unique. Strange markings and runes are etched along its blade and the bronze pummel is carved showing a weirdly shaped creature swallowing a human head. "Darllen," Mireza says, taking a clear prism from a pocket of her scarf and peering through it at the runes.

Casting read magic to see if the runes carved on the sword are arcane. Afterwards, she'll cast detect magic to see if the blade is magical. She can read Aklo, in case any of the markings are in that language. Also, once the sword has been investigated, she still intends to pull the coverings off the statues by the door to see what's beneath them.


Map

Valiard and Grigor:
The trapdoor opens to a narrow and steep wooden staircase, leading down. From below, only darkness and a musty and moldy smell can be discerned...

Mireza:
The runes on the blade are in fact Aklo. They say on one side: "A dark light shines" and on the other: "Leaving a bright shadow." As she shifts her sight to see the sword's aura, she discerns a magic weave, tied around the edge of the blade.

Mireza takes a moment to pull the sheets on the statues. Everybody tenses for a second, but nothing happens. The statues are in a bad shape, but are representations of angels, made of pink granite.


Female Changeling Witch 7 | hp 35/35 | AC: 19 (13 touch, 17 ff) CMD 15 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +8 | Perception +1 (+3 w/ familiar) | Init +2 | Attack of Opportunity +3

Caught up in her examination of the intricately-engraved sword, Mireza takes hold of the handle and wiggles the blade a few inches back out of the stiffening corpse; the blood pools in the carved lines of the runes, making them easy to intepret. "'A dark light shines," she reads aloud, "'leaving a bright shadow.' And it is a magic sword, worth many, many pounds of cloves. Perhaps it's his?" she turns curiously to Windle, who seems to have known the dead man best. "Stabbed in the back with his own priceless sword? If it belonged to the killer, why not take it with him, especially as the owner ought to be readily identified?"

She'll try to identify the properties of the sword: Spellcraft 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:32/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

Grigor looks back towards the fortune teller.

Cultist artifact like as not... . He thinks for a moment. I'd have thought they'd take it with them unless its some sort of message by the cult - like those who break faith or act on their own can count on pointed justice from the mystic blades of 'thingamagig' or 'whatsitsname'.

Thrice damned crazy bastards that they are.

He snorts and then looks for a flame to light his lantern with.


Map

Those who look at the sword can roll, if you have ranks in them: appraise or knowledge (history, religion and/or engineering).

Mireza:
The auras lingering around the sword tell of a clear focus against a particular type of enemy. The colors and the way the auras are knotted tell the witch that this is a sword meant to kill aberrations... (+1 Aberration-bane shortsword)

As she spends more time around the body, and pulls the sword a bit from the body, she can tell from the way the blood pooled and from the bruises around the wound, that Hyve's muscles were under hyper contraction. Looking at the rest of the body, she notices the same weird effect. It seems Hyve was paralysed when he was stabbed. She can't tell if it was through a spell or a poison.

Valiard and Grigor:
Grigor lights his lantern, revealing the walls of a cave that extends below the church, though he can't see where the cave ends. From his vantage point, he can see a bookshelf and a desk. Both seem to have been searched with a heavy hand.

Iozef and Windle:
The shelves contain hundreds of tomes about history, focusing on the last 2,000 years of Ustalav. None of the books has any particular value, but taken together, they are a powerful tool, in the hands of the right scholar.
Roll Perception


***INACTIVE*** HP 37/40 AC 19/Touch AC 13/FF AC 15 (16 w/buckler); Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7 Inquisitor/7

Perception check: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26


Map

Windle:
One of the books in the shelf draws your attention. Upon closer inspection, it looks like a book, but there is a hidden locking mechanism, making it more a box then a book. The handiwork is superb and would pass any quick inspection.


Urban Ranger 3 (Watchman) Male Human Ustalav Init +2 (+4) AC18|Touch 12|FlatFoot 14| CMD 19| HP:32/32 |Ft +5|Rx +5|Wl +5| Percept +9(+11) Snse Mot +9

For Sword - Knowledge: Religion roll. 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


***INACTIVE*** HP 37/40 AC 19/Touch AC 13/FF AC 15 (16 w/buckler); Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7 Inquisitor/7

While looking over the bookshelves and quietly discussing various titles with Iozef, Windle suddenly stops and looks back at one of the books. "That's odd...I thought that Neska's history of the Palatinates was only produced in a folio edition." He pulls the volume down from the shelf. "Do you know, I don't think this is a book at all. Valiard? Grigor? That notch looks more like a latch to me; what do you think?"

Knowledge (Religion) check for sword (which will probably end up being Aid Another for Iozef, unless I crush the roll): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14


Female Changeling Witch 7 | hp 35/35 | AC: 19 (13 touch, 17 ff) CMD 15 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +8 | Perception +1 (+3 w/ familiar) | Init +2 | Attack of Opportunity +3

"I think it's a gift," Mireza muses. "Its edge is sharper and bites more viciously against things that don't belong in this reality, things that hurt eyes and bruise minds to see; it's made to cut and carve the creature they've summoned. Someone's trying to help us. They've slain the Keeper before his beast could do so and feast on his strength, and they've left behind a valuable tool in a place we couldn't help but find it." She surveys the scene again -- the body across the altar and the magic sword protruding from its back. "You see?" she asks Valiard. "I told you they were trying to be dramatic. They didn't need such an expensive blade to kill him; a dull butter knife would have done that. He died as you almost did, Crow," she calls out conversationally. "He was frozen. Couldn't move when the blade slid in. They had leisure to set the scene. He was awake and aware until his life pooled out on the stone but couldn't squirm or call for help. I wonder if his nose itched." She leans over and stares into the dead face, as if trying to divine what its last minutes or hours were like. "I can't tell if he was magically held or if it was some kind of poison that made him stiffen, like the ghouls' filth. Remember Yarresh and the ghouls yesterday morning? You were all frozen. Did your noses itch when you couldn't scratch them?"

+1 Aberration-bane shortsword. Give it to Grigor?


Taldan Roguish Herbalist/7; Hp:45/45; AC:17/14/13; darkvision 60'; trapspotter 10'; perception +12

"Looks like his hidden office down there, don't you think?"[b] Valiard says to Grior as he peers down the trap door. He then shrugs, stands up and moves over to where Windle is poking at the bookcase.

[b]"Ah. I see what you mean. That is very nice. I don't know how any but a scholar would have seen that."

Valiard looks at the mechanism for a moment, trying to divine what it actuates.

Automatic trapfinding, rolled by the DM, when in 10' of traps, with +2 to detect.

Perception, what does the latch actuate? 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26


***INACTIVE*** HP 37/40 AC 19/Touch AC 13/FF AC 15 (16 w/buckler); Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7 Inquisitor/7

Grigor or Valiard.


Map

Secret Rolls:
1d20 ⇒ 19

Valiard:
The latch looks like it opens the book/box, but you notice as well that there are many positions for several of the metal pins around the latch, indicating some kind of combination necessary. Furthermore, the disposition of the pins suggest a trap, possibly a needle, a released gas or worse...


Taldan Roguish Herbalist/7; Hp:45/45; AC:17/14/13; darkvision 60'; trapspotter 10'; perception +12

Thanks, but I think that Grigor should get first dibs because he is going to be frontline.

"I don't think that I would touch that thing if I were you. It looks pretty suspicious. See how it is on the shelf? Its fishy, and stinks..."

Interesting...now how to get a chance to open it?


Taldan Roguish Herbalist/7; Hp:45/45; AC:17/14/13; darkvision 60'; trapspotter 10'; perception +12

"Windle, Izoef. From what I saw from the trapdoor it looks like the actual office was underground. I saw the tops of bookshelving, you may want to go down there and nose around a bit." Valiard suggests helpfully.


Male Human Cleric (Cloistered) 7

Iozef examines the sword in an attempt to ascertain whatever information he can.

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31
Knowledge (Engineering): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30
Knowledge (History): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14

Turning his attention to Valiard, "Very well. It may prove useful." Iozef then makes his way down to the office. That's, of course, I can find a way down.


Map

Iozef:
Nice rolls!
Iozef recalls how the High Priest of Pharasma was called upon by the mayor of Carrion Hill, a very long while ago, to help with an invasion of abominations. In exchange for the lands on which the current pharasmin church now stands, a sword was forged. The sword was held by the Crows' Commander as he led elite soldiers below the city.

The soldiers and the sword never surfaced, but neither did the aberrations...

Iozef also notices the very special quality of the sword's steel. It was likely forged by talented smiths, at low temperatures. (Cold Iron)

851 to 900 of 1,789 << first < prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Deepest Shadows Lie Longest - IC All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.