Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

The Darkness Below Maure Castle.... (Inactive)

Game Master Lord Thasmudyan

The ultimate dungeon delve deep into the bowels of Maure Castle where the evil, insane and vile House Maure once dwelt. What secrets lay hidden in this once proud House's crumbling abode and what happened to the members of this House....


551 to 600 of 718 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

F Half-Elf Were-Tigress

Meanwhile, everyone is wondering where I got off to, not realizing that I'm close by and listening to Malcom make noise.

Cheliax

Male Human 666th Lvl Evil DM

Flynn, Luca, Drake

Spoiler:

Flynn and Drake, you slip into the shadows and move to look over the door. All three of you have a good long look at the door and discover absolutely nothing seems to be amiss with the door as far as you can see, all seems normal. Drake you even listen at the door but don't hear any noises. While listening at the door you look down at the ground and see what reminds you of flicking candle light coming from underneath the door that you hadn't noticed before.

Chirinide

Spoiler:

You slip into the shadows as everyone else is examining the door.
No you can't hold onto that one for later but at least no one can see you right now :)


Luca uses his telepathy to relay the thoughts of the group all to each other so that none need to speak and give away their presence.

I don't see anything. Drake, Flynn, do either of you? Just think, you don't need to speak, I'll communicate your thoughts to the group.


I saw a light underneath the door, flickering like a candle. Besides that i did not see anything


Aelaeron Beast-Caller wrote:

Well Malcom, we are devising a new strategy. It involves letting the sneaky ones scout ahead, and bring us news of what's ahead. Hopefully this way, we won't lose any more shields, eh? he says with a wink.

Also, he adds, Nexumis and I need you here with us if you don't mind. Far too many ghastly horrors roving about for elves like me.

"Oh Hey, Great idea!"

Malcom will travel with Aelaeron, Nexmis and Chirinide.


Male Elf Wizard- 12

yes, and ghastly horrors cowar from the likes of loud metal noises, Nexumis snickers at his own joke and moves on, attempting to stay quite as well,

Then he thinks to the group, if you see nothing, and hear nothing odd, open the door so Malcom may give our foes the migraine to end all thoughts if only he still had metal shields to complete the orchestra

stealth: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18
When the door is opened perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21


F Half-Elf Were-Tigress

Malcolm don't get any ideas, I'm right behind the front. Chirinide isn't a glass cannon, and doesn't act like one either. She in fact was the scout many times. Hence the over-sized stealth skill.


Chirinide the Half-Elf wrote:

Malcolm don't get any ideas, I'm right behind the front. Chirinide isn't a glass cannon, and doesn't act like one either. She in fact was the scout many times. Hence the over-sized stealth skill.

Like I mentioned before, I'll behave. I don't want to be a pain in the ass for everybody.

Shadow Lodge

Male Human Ranger 3 || HP 32/32 || AC 16, T 13, FF 13, CMD 17 || F +5, R +6, W +1 || Per. +6, Init +5

Since everyone else is so keen on opening the door I am going to get to the very back of the group with my shortbow ready with an arrow knocked


Aelaeron moves up to the corner northwest of the door, staying behind the cover of the wall.

Is everyone ready? Pendin, will you open the door?


Luca flies back to his master and keeps a wary lookout for threats.

Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (17) + 14 = 31


Frozen Stream Human Monk/12

Pendin grins and nods his head. He holds his fingers up, three at first, silently counting down. When his pointer finger curls down he opens the door and readies himself for any attack that may come.

Perception from 1 step in the room 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (8) + 20 = 28


Flynn takes a look through the room, keeping an arrow knocked in his bow, just in case. Perception: 1d20 + 28 ⇒ (20) + 28 = 48

Cheliax

Male Human 666th Lvl Evil DM

You open the door and within is a round room that is lit by four small candles placed just inside of four doors at each point of the compass including the open door you are standing in front of. The inside of each door is painted in reds, purples, and yellows, and depicts a fighter in full chain mail. Each fighter seems to be awaiting an onrushing enemy, although no enemies of any type are shown.


Aelaeron casts detect magic and lets his arcane vision penetrate into the room, he moves forward a bit to capture the painted fighters in the 60' arc of the spell.

Knowledge(Arcana): 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (6) + 22 = 28
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (13) + 22 = 35


F Half-Elf Were-Tigress

I am thinking the fighters come to life and fight us, as though we are the "onrushing enemy", that's what I think, the style so far has not been to follow the standard profile but rather wickedly creative.

Chiri looks in from outside the room, and watches the others.


Flynn glances around the room Perception: 1d20 + 28 ⇒ (8) + 28 = 36


Frozen Stream Human Monk/12

Pendin looks back through the doorway at his companions, "I don't believe there is anyone in here. Just some paintings." Pendin moves over to the side of the door to make room for anyone coming through the doorway.

Cheliax

Male Human 666th Lvl Evil DM

So are you stepping into the room Pendin?


Frozen Stream Human Monk/12

Yes, I was actually 1 step into the room in front of the door


Lol, didn't we just have a discussion about not rushing into rooms before doing a full sweep?

Shadow Lodge

Male Human Ranger 3 || HP 32/32 || AC 16, T 13, FF 13, CMD 17 || F +5, R +6, W +1 || Per. +6, Init +5

Well, you now know the true horror.


It was one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do.


Male Elf Wizard- 12

Nexumis stands back, awaiting news from alearons detect magic, hes calm now, although very suspicious about these paintings.

metagame thinking Chir. None of our characters would think of pics coming to life... As a DM in my experience players that use metagame thinking always bad idea lol


F Half-Elf Were-Tigress

I have no more reason to think that then the character for one, and two in ooc quote implies what I am thinking and not Chiri, though in this case I have no reason for her not be suspicious of the paintings and a few reasons for her to be suspicious. Nothing of the statement implies or comes from outside knowledge. (unless I'm right then it might appear as though I read or heard of the module, but truthfully I'm just using my head which is something I am talented in doing, the upside of Ausperger's)

Now that I think of it, why wouldn't people who live in a world of amazing and strange magics, think of strange and magical traps as possible? Particularly when having studied magic themselves?

Edit: Chiri was the victim of a cubic gate, she is used to the idea of ridiculous magic, I don't think she is gonna believe that something in this castle is pure mundane, someone very powerful made the door, then the gargoyle heads, then the chalice. Why in the blue blazes would Chiri believe the paintings to be safe?


Honestly, this is an old school style dungeon, and as such, demands some metagame thinking if we're even going to have a chance of making it through. Besides, we're playing characters that are super humans (or elves.) In their twelve levels of experience, it is not unlikely that they've delved dungeons before and understand that enemies can come from the most unlikely places. Anyway, I'm planning to metagame the heck out of this thing. Lord Thas, if that's a problem, please let me know.

Cheliax

Male Human 666th Lvl Evil DM

Aelaeron and Chiri make good points...but anyways back to the game

Pendin you step into the room and wince as if thinking something is about to happen to you such as the whole room falling on you j/k..for that matter the whole party seems to wince as you step into the room........and nothing happens except that the candles seem to flicker a bit.


"Well that was anti-climactic..."


Frozen Stream Human Monk/12

HAH! Thanks Lord Thas! I chuckled pretty hard at your description!

With an exhaling breath of relief, Pendin looks back at his party members again and says, "That was uncomfortable for a moment, mayhaps I'll wait until our magical types use their enchanted eyes to look over a room before I rush in."

Cheliax

Male Human 666th Lvl Evil DM

No probs

Aelaeron

Spoiler:

The candles on the ground have a moderate aura of conjuration about them.


The candles are carrying a definite aura of conjuration magic, Aelaeron muses. They are not magical, in and of themselves, but if I had to hazard a guess, I would say that blowing them out might have some effect, although whether that effect is for good or ill, I could not say. In terms of power, these conjurations are somewhere between the fourth and sixth tiers of magical might. In terms of power, anything summoned could range in power and threat from something akin to a dire wolf, or perhaps a chain devil, or even a huge elemental. How would you all like to proceed?


"None of those sound particularly pleasant. Is there any kind of magical trap you could place around it in case something does come out?"


Trap? Hmmm, no, not that would last long enough to be of any real use. There had been some discussion of Nexumis placing an alarm spell on this location though. And that would certainly prove beneficial. I can't remember if he did or not though... I was... distracted


Frozen Stream Human Monk/12

"We could close the door behind us, and maybe if anyone is able to lock it?"

Shadow Lodge

Male Human Ranger 3 || HP 32/32 || AC 16, T 13, FF 13, CMD 17 || F +5, R +6, W +1 || Per. +6, Init +5

*sighs softly* I could lock the door but would it be good to lok someone in?


Frozen Stream Human Monk/12

"True I guess. Nothing magical or mundane could hold the door that we have on us?"


Male Elf Wizard- 12

maybe a wall of force around the candles? or at the door. If i had a few hours i could prepare a hold portal spell.. didnt think bout that one... ppsshhh, i say blow em out Pen, orbetter yet, Malcom. Im sure we can handle what ever demon decides to visit


Nexumis wrote:
or better yet, Malcom. Im sure we can handle what ever demon decides to visit.

Malcom forces his way to the front of the group, standing triumphantly!

"I can vanquish any foe in our path! Just let me at them."


"Well, lets have at it shall we? Blow them out Malcom, if you would." Flynn says as he knocks an arrow in his bow


Wait! says Aelaeron. There's no need to be in the room when the candles go out.

He digs into his backpack and pulls out a heavy, folded winter blanket.

Luca, if you would...


The little dragon casts mage hand and lifts the blanket. Once Pendin has left the room, he lowers the blanket onto the candle in front of the south door, cutting off the oxygen and snuffing it out.


Malcom will listen to Aelaerons words and wait for a go ahead.


Frozen Stream Human Monk/12

Pendin chuckles a bit and steps out beside Malcolm.

Cheliax

Male Human 666th Lvl Evil DM

The sheet falls over the candle and extinguishes the flame and then the nearest painted fighter on the wall begins to sparkle and then steps out of the wall fully formed before yelling and raising his sword ready to attack and rushes toward you guys

init


Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Flynn takes aim and unleashes a flurry of arrows at the nearest enemy

Burning a Ki point to make my bow deal damage as my unarmed strike for the round

1d20 + 21 ⇒ (3) + 21 = 24
1d20 + 21 ⇒ (17) + 21 = 38
1d20 + 16 ⇒ (12) + 16 = 28
1d20 + 16 ⇒ (14) + 16 = 30
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17

2d6 + 8 ⇒ (4, 1) + 8 = 13
2d6 + 8 ⇒ (3, 4) + 8 = 15
2d6 + 8 ⇒ (2, 3) + 8 = 13
2d6 + 8 ⇒ (1, 2) + 8 = 11
2d6 + 8 ⇒ (4, 6) + 8 = 18

Every roll gets +1 if within 30 ft, and using my perfect strike feat on the first roll

1d20 + 21 ⇒ (3) + 21 = 24

Shadow Lodge

Male Human Ranger 3 || HP 32/32 || AC 16, T 13, FF 13, CMD 17 || F +5, R +6, W +1 || Per. +6, Init +5

INT
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12


Initiative: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

Aelaeron studies the painted warrior with detect magic, curious as to what sort of conjuration it might be.
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (3) + 22 = 25

Trying to determine the spell summoning the warrior. Any other knowledge checks I can make here?


Frozen Stream Human Monk/12

Init 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22

Pendin rushes over to the side of the painted warrior and reaches out to hold him...

Grapple 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (20) + 21 = 41


M Human (Mwangi: Bekyar) Cleric 11/Monk 1

Init: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

"Ah, battle! Yes! Mouss casts bless.


F Half-Elf Were-Tigress

Ini: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Chiri looses an arrow right past Aelaeron's hat as it flys straight towards the phantom knight,

Attack vs FF unless he sees me: 1d20 + 12 - 4 ⇒ (4) + 12 - 4 = 12
Damage, bow: 1d6 ⇒ 5
Damage if sneak attack successful: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 2) = 6

I don't like RNGs very much, rarely a good roll, and when one does come along it's usually not very helpful.

551 to 600 of 718 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Darkness Below Maure Castle.... All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.