Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


The Dangers of Civilization

Game Master sunshadow21

The Western Trade Route runs through the Midrealms to the city of Cliffsgate and the Haven of Belauth. Being a settled region, This region should be perfectly safe for a group of up and coming stars, right?


201 to 250 of 611 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

While big cats are not unheard of in this area (you've probably come across at least a few briefly), this kind of behavior is very strange. They tend to be a bit rarer than some of the other wildlife, and prefer to keep to themselves most of the time. Even when hunting, they don't exhibit this kind of behavior.


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

Crispin looks oddly at the cat and the next time he can take a close look at him.

It is funny watching what that cat is doing it reminds me of the antics dragons used to play on travelers back home when bored, could that be a dragon in disguise. Crispin has an excited look on his at the thoughts of a dragon.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

A dragon?! But it'sssso small! Sritaro has a puzzled look on his scaled face, trying to ponder how a large dragon would be the size of a hunting cat.


The cat seems to hear Crispin's words, and she reacts rather strongly. Turning into her dragon form, and scaring the heck out of animals, even Firebrand, who almost bolt, the medium sized bronze dragon starts to say something until she realizes the effect she's having on the animals, at which point she sinks to the ground beside the road, trying to not to break down and cry. She seems to be talking to herself, and the only thing you can make out is, "I can't do anything right today."


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

"Pelina's light!", shouts Sritaro, shocked at the transformation. Once he realizes the dragon is non-threatening, and in fact seems sad, he hops out of the wagon to parlay with the creature, his hand out as a welcoming sign of peace.

Pelina's blessssing, bronze-ssscale. What is bothering you?
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

Crispin is totally glowing that he gets to see a Dragon at this distance and it is not trying to eat him. He hop out of the wagon and follow Sritaro peeking from behind him to gaze at the Dragon then timidly saying "It is not your fault, I have seen your kind do this before."

Diplomacy if Needed to boost Sritaro: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11


At this point she breaks down completely as she starts sobbing. You are eventually able to calm her down enough to catch a few phrases being repeated over and over (failure, bad men, parents will kill me, can't do anything right), but at least for the moment, she seems to be completely lost in her own misery. You get the impression that she has not had a pleasant day.


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

You have good eyes, missster Crispin. We should aid this wailing creature... any ideas?


Half-Orc

@Ha'el - The first bandit we encountered could have killed Sritaro after I failed my stealth check.

When the animals frighten, Morbak attempts to calm them down.

Wild Empathy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Listens to what she said between sobs.

Intelligence Check to piece together what has been said: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

EDIT: "I wonder what she means by 'failure'?"


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

I am not sure what we can do to help except maybe ask if there is something we can assist her. Crispin walks out from behind Sritaro stepping closer to the dragon Good day, my lady, my name is Crispin Singe and my companions and I are wondering if there is anything we can do to help you out.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

Ha'el knows he is neither a diplomat nor a counselor so instead he pays close attention to both what the dragon has to say and to her body language attempting to discern any guile or deception ...

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

@Morbak, that incident at the river was hardly 'life or death'. Trust me, I've rolled and failed on more 'save or die' type rolls than any player in the history of this game. That one barely counts as a blip on the danger radar ;) ... one day ask me to regale you with the tale of my escape from the maw of a white dragon. It didn't end well.


She seems genuinely upset as you try to comfort her, and you all know that it would be a major departure for the dragons of the area to participate in, let alone condone, any kind of banditry. Eventually you are able to calm both the animals and her, though she takes longer. While she remains disheartened and it takes some prodding to keep her on task, you are eventually able to get the bare bones of her story.

Apparently a few days ago, she had an argument with her parents, and she decided to react, much as a little kid would, which as far as dragons are concerned, is what she still is, by trying to run away. The first day went fine; she was able to catch a decent meal, and do all the things her parents normally didn't allow her to do. But today, the second day, was less successful, to say the least. Her hunting was unsuccessful, she was bored, and the underground cave she had chosen to spend the night in turned out to have a secret door to a bandit's lair, and when she tried to scare them off, they simply laughed, dared her to try to attack, and commented on the value of dragonhide armor in certain circles. Being outnumbered, hungry, and disheartened, she was forced to flee, and had been aimlessly wandering around the area until she saw you.


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

I don't have much, but I do have sssome provisions if you need food.


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

Considering that she is a dragon, Zhiyo has the respect of being in true form at the moment.

"I wouldnt call you a failure. Even dragons need help sometimes. Come lets eat and then we can help you out, what do you think?"


Half-Orc

@Ha'el - Well as far as this campaign is concerned at the moment, it's the only one so far.

Looks at the dragon and asks, "What name are you known by?


Pulling off to the side of the road to eat, the animals calm down quickly enough after the initial shock is contained. The young dragoness is hesitant to accept the food, but once she starts eating, it's clear that she is quite hungry, and she doesn't say much for a while. Once she has eaten, she seems to be a bit more composed, if still disheartened. "I'm Sylvia. I was going to ask you to help me with the bad men, but realized you can't swim, and I don't know precisely how to find the place on the surface. I thought I was ready to take on the world; I guess Mommy was right when she said I wasn't."


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

It is an honor to meet you Sssylvia. We do have some busssiness with the bandits and would like your help in finding them. Perhaps if we ussse each others talents well, we can make this happen.


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

"Would you recognize the spot from the air?" Zhiyo inquires. "We have some maps and from what you said I am guessing one entrance is somewhere near the river. Which would match our sightings as well. Though the other entrance is probably in the north east somewhere, we can also ask in town for cave locations."


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

Ha'el listens intently to the dragon's response.


Half-Orc

"Do you by chance happen to know what kind of minerals were in the cave?


She perks up at the idea she might be able help, and ponders for a second how best to reply. "I do recall seeing an old road near the edge of the bayou where I came to the surface. Unfortunately, that is the only thing I know that might help you. The cave itself was clearly dragon made, but I was unable to investigate further being chased away. If you are willing to let me help, I do some some simple spells that might be of use."


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

Sssir Morbak, do you think you could ssscout the area and find what miss Sylvia described?


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

Zhiyo looks at the map looking for roads next to bayous if ther are less then 5 in the suspected area the he will sugest investigating them.


Half-Orc

"Shouldn't be a problem. I just need a start point and we can go from there."


The map does have a few roads marked in the area, but none that that seem to match the description of the area Sylvia has given. Your best bet will be to try to find the road she saw, and go from there. It is starting to get dark, so whatever you do, you probably should plan on starting fairly soon.


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

Zhiyo will ask her to describe or show them to the road.


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

Hrm, its going to be dark soon. Are we planning a day time assault or a night time assault. Each provides tactical advantages and disadvantages. What do you think?


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

Crispin still in awe of being this close to a Dragon he at a spot he can catch up in the conversation "how many of us can see in the dark, I am wondering if first thing in the morning would be best we could catch them still asleep or just waking up."


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

Zhiyo looks at Crispin "Lets find the place first then we can come up with a plan of attack, though morning probably is the best time, so we can go now and maybe hit tommorrow morning or we can camp now while safely away and hit them day after tommorrow, depending on how long it takes to find this place of course."

He looks to group for their opinion.


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

I cannot see in the dark per se but I do have the ability to see better than the humans I grew up with when the light is poor. And I agree, we should find the place first then decide on when we go in.


Sylvia is able to show you the road she saw, though it takes a while to find a path that will allow the wagon to get through the backcountry. It is thoroughly dark when you finally find the partially overgrown path that runs northwest-southeast along the edge of the bayou, but the moon is full and there are no clouds so as long as you aren't trying to do anything to massively detailed oriented, even those with normal vision can see enough to maintain basic functionality. Going southeast in the direction that Sylvia came from, you soon come across a small walled compound that is intact, but clearly not in it's heyday. The path leads up to the only visible entrance that used to be closed by a double gate, but now stands open to all comers. Morbak is able to detect recent activity along the path.


Half-Orc

"The scents I can detect seem to be fairly recent. There seems to more going on here than meets the eye."


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

"So what should the plan of attack be? I'm up for going through the front door and telling them to ssstand down.


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

"That might work but we should be ready for battle or maybe an ambush" Crispin looks around trying to see if there are guards or lookout on the path leading up to and just beyond the gates.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

I thought we were looking for a cave? Whomever is about this place may not be the bandits we are looking for. Either way we should gather some more information before we knock on the door as whomever it is may not be friendly. Good call Crispin.

Ha'el also attempts to assess what he sees around him.

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

"Ahhh, that is a good idea! Ssstrategery is not my thing.", as Sritaro assists in the lookout.

Aid on Perception:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

Zhiyo will circle around stealthily and look from the different angles.

stealth
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

perception
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

edit wow so good at hiding that I dont see much of anything.


Half-Orc

Circles around the opposite direction of Zhiyo and takes a look

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


The gate seems to be the only way into this decent sized compound; whoever built it must have been a bit paranoid, as the walls were built high enough you can't see over them and strong enough they are still standing despite obviously being unmaintained for many, many years, as the state of the rusted iron gates testify to. Looking inside the gate carefully, you are able to see a small courtyard with several support buildings surrounding it, the two story main house directly across from the gate, and a few paths that seem to lead around the house to the back. You see some lookouts nominally doing their job in some of the 2nd story windows, but neither seem overly focused on their task. Overall, the buildings seem to be in the same condition as the walls, at least on the outside; old, unmaintained, but still very solid, if not very pretty.


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

Stealth is a skill that can be used untrained right? I always forget those. At any rate, I am not particularly good at that sort of thing so Ha'el will opt out of the reconnaissance and just hides in the woods.


Someone has to stay with the wagon, after all.


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

Crispin heads toward the main gate moving quietly keeping an eye out as he goes. heading in between Zhiyo and Morbak

Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12


Half-Orc

Takes out bow, readies an arrow, and aims at one of the lookouts.


The house is a good 100 feet away from the gate across the open courtyard from the gate and the sentries are on the second floor, so shooting them would be extremely challenging. Do you want to enter the courtyard or wait? If you go straight across the courtyard, the full moon will make it very easy for them to see you. Also, just to note, you don't know if anybody is in any of the buildings on the immediate other side of the wall, which is a mostly smooth 10 foot high, 1 foot thick stone wall with spikes on top to deter would be climbers, that aren't by the gate because you can't get a good look at them from this angle.


Half-Orc

Taking another look at the sentry's position, and realizing the difficulty of the shot, he relaxes the bowstring and rethinks his strategy.


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

Hmmm, how sharp do the ssspikes look? Perhaps you could use a boossst Morbak or Crispin?


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

Zhiyo comes back from sneaking around, "Come on lets get some sleep we can come back early morning just like we planned."

"We should be able to start a fire and drop it over the fence, then come in while they are in disarray."


Half-Orc

Is Sylvia still with us?


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

"I Could always climb up on Morbak shoulders that should give us enough height." Crispin thinks about the Plan to comeback in the morning "Following the plan is probably the best thing to do, would we be ready for a fight now we might be a bit road weary."


Yeah, she's hanging back quietly, but she is there.

201 to 250 of 611 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Dangers of Civilization All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.