Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

The Dangers of Civilization

Game Master sunshadow21

The Western Trade Route runs through the Midrealms to the city of Cliffsgate and the Haven of Belauth. Being a settled region, This region should be perfectly safe for a group of up and coming stars, right?


151 to 200 of 611 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Half-Orc

"If they have, maybe they have something that belongs to the bandits. I can try and track them from that."


Sir Laughshield listens quietly for the most part, but interjects on Ha'el comments about his hometown. "It would seem to me, my friend, that your heart would be lighter if you were to simply let go of your hatred, and focus on the future. We all have had our fair share of troubles, and while one should not forget them, one must learn to forgive and move on, lest one gets dragged down by their own stubbornness and refusal to forgive." As the discussion seems to wind down, "It is early enough in the season that news of such a bandit king would likely not have had time to reach town, but perhaps the ATA can tell you the most likely spots for their appearance, as I know that they track such things so they can warn their associates. They could also help with providing contacts amongst the local villages and hamlets that might give you a good place to start."


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

Sssounds like a good start to me![i],exclaims Sritaro as he starts heading for the exit.


Half-Orc

Finishes food, drops off dishes in the wash tub, and follows Sritaro.


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

Ha'el disregards the comments of Sir Laughshield; dismissing them as armchair psychology. how could he possibly know anything about what I've gone through and/or if I have forgiveness in my heart from the very few words I said?

Ha'el follows Sritaro and Morbak out the door.


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

he follows Ha'el out the door, "Sir Laughshield reminded me of a proverb in my village, 'Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering'. Of course people often fear the unknown, the abnormal, and the misunderstood. Welcome to my world." He stated that last part rather quietly, to avoid being overheard.

"Off to the ATA then to fell some pirates!"


The ATA compound in Tuven is tucked away underneath the eastern anchorings of the Great Bridge, two city blocks on the river side, the width of the Great Bridge, and a full city block back, making it one of the smaller, but not the smallest, station in their network. It's docks are amongst the oldest along the river, and the ATA was one of the major contributors in the making of the Great Bridge. As you approach, you can see the activity on the docks and in the yards is still a bit quiet, slowly ramping up for the day, but it is clear that some kind of operation or task is being carried out pretty much all day, every day. You go into the main office, and after a short time, led into a small conference room where you are joined shortly by one of the local managers. "Congratulations on winning the lottery. I was on the selection committee one year, and I can tell you a lot of very qualified people take a shot at it. For you to win it, you are very lucky indeed. How can we help you today?"


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

Crispin follows along sliently watching the people about the town as they walk through. Heading to the ATA Warehouse he saw last night.

When they meet the proprietor he ask what he can do for them. "Good Morning Sir I am Crispin Singe and these are my companions Morbak, Ha'el, Zhiyo and Sritaro." Crispin pauses and gestures to his companions, then looks back at the proprietor "If you were on the selection committee then you why we are here. Tuven is our first stop of many in dealing with other members of the ATA to set up a trade network to expand peoples business and maybe set up our own someday."


"Ah, so you shall be one to the groups who fully embrace the hopes and dreams of our leaders. Not that those who choose to do otherwise are bad; free will, after all, is still quite important, and even those who ultimately drift off still usually provide enough benefit to more than justify the mostly minor costs the company incurs. How precisely may we be of service to you today?"


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

Crispin smiles at the man, "Well today we come with a different task to talk to you about, on the way into town we came across some bandits and we were wondering if you might have any ideas of where might be their probable targets, since you know the area." looking innocently at the man "That is not the element we would like on our trade routes."


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

Yesss, and as a representative of the church of Pelina, you have our blessing for any assisssstance you can provide.


The man sighs, "Yes, I suppose it is that time of year again isn't it? Chances are they won't be doing much along the main road just yet, but some of the back roads could be problematic. I'll have one of our cartographers work up a map of the common flashpoints where wannabe thugs try to hone their trade before hitting the big time of the main road. If you can deal with them now, great, if not, don't risk your hide over it; the militia will catch up to them sooner or later. Is there anything else you require today?"


Half-Orc

"Have there been any reports from the surrounding countryside of vermin infestation?"


"Not that I know of. Most of the country side around here, even on the western side, tends to keep them fairly well under control. Northern Turvar tends to have ongoing problems, but this area is settled well enough they don't really have a large enough place to hide before becoming an full blown infestation. Still, you might ask around as you travel the countryside; individual vermin have been known to pop up from time to time."


If there are no further questions,

You leave the ATA compound, and fill the rest of the morning relaxing and visiting the notable sites around town. Around noon, you receive the promised map. It indicates about a dozen spots spread out fairly evenly throughout the area and on both sides of river.


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

Sritaro unfurls and looks at the map, tilting his head as he tries to make headway of which way to go.

Hmmm... let's go here!, pointing to a random spot in Eastern Turvar.


Half-Orc

"Sounds good to me. But just out of curiousity, what are we going to do with the other wagon?"


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

Could I suggest we use the other wagon as bait? Perhaps we could use it to ambush the ambushers?


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

Sritaro ponders Ha'el's suggestion, shaking his head after a few seconds of thought.

But why would the bandits want their old wagon back? And how would we ambush them if we don't know where they are?


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

Crispin looks at Sritaro "if we use it as bait we will make sure they don't recognize it, they might decide that a wagon full of provisions is a perfect target and not notice it is their wagon."


It's a generic farm wagon. It's really doubtful they would recognize it from any other even if it were the same people.


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

ie: wagon = bait :D


That is certainly a possibility if you can set it up right.


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

I was trying to play a bit stupid :P

Hmmmm I sssuppose. As long as we try to avoid killing them.


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

Avoiding killing someone who is trying to kill you is a very bad idea. I mean I am not in favor of killing the helpless or the innocent. But there is no way I am going to try to sweet talk someone who s trying to shove a blade in my gut.


Half-Orc

"Sritaro, we may have no choice but to kill them. However, I do agree that we should not necessarily kill them all. If we spare one of them, and ask nicely, we may learn where their base of operations is located.


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

Zhiyo take a look at the map and studies it for a moment to try and figure out a few likely base camp spots and if he fails that he will make note of a place he would use to cover the same area.
Int check,(+4 if know nature is better)
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22

{ If I fail that miserably I will read the tarot cards,
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
}

Then, "Well these spots seem more likely so we will want to ride our bait along these paths, at least to start. And Sritaro, most bandits will not change their ways, so killing is best all around, but if it seems one might be redeemable I'm open to giving them a chance, just not at the price of avoiding the harm of those harming me. My friends and I take priority over a bandit anytime."


Zhiyo:
You don't know enough about the area to initially figure out much, but after reading your cards, it occurs to you that using your current wagon and plying your trade in the area a bit might actually serve as better bait than the farm wagon. By posing as an outside traveling merchant, you would likely have the money to justify the attempt, would have less chance of knowing your attackers, and thus less chance of tracking them afterwards, and would be less likely to know all of the shortcuts and cross country trails. Using the farm wagon would make you look more like a local farmer and less desirable of a target for several reasons. You would presumably know more about the immediate area and it's people, making it much harder for them to escape and not be tracked down, and the chances of you carrying enough money and valuables is less.

Looking at the map, you all realize it wouldn't be too hard to work up a circuit around the area that would hit all the marked spots without being overly obvious that you were looking for bandits.


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

Indeed Zhiyo has the right of it. I would willingly risk my life to save one of you. But I'd not risk it to save one who has chosen killing and stealing as a profession. If their redemption can be done safely then so be it. Otherwise, I choose to err on the side of caution.

Ha'el looks at the map and says indeed those look like a good place to start. Good work Zhiyo!


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

"I hope you don't feel ganged up on Sritaro, but I am not going to try to save someone who was more than willing to steal my things and leave me stranded at the side of the road helpless or worse."

He walks over to Sritaro "If you can think of a way we can bring them in peacefully without harm to us, I am open to hearing it."


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

Well, I won't ssstand idly by and let you be hurt. I just wish to bring peace where I can and offer hope to those who have none. At leassst offer them to stand down before ssstriking anyone down is all I asssk from you, my comrades., kneeling to place his hand on Crispin's shoulder.


Half-Orc

Looks at the spots indicated by Zhiyo and takes a closer look at the terrain.

Knowledge: Geography - 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

"I do not see any flaw in the logic. I say go with Zhiyo's idea.


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

"Actually it has occured to me that using our wagon and selling our skills and trade to the locals might work better as bait then a simple farm wagon. Look we can follow this route and it will appear as though we are simply traveling craftsmen, and we might even make a few coins too. Thanks, Morbak."


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

Hrm, I like your thinking Zhiyo. Lets do that then. Perhaps we could trade that wagon in for another horse. Would that be possible?


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

"Excellent idea Zhiyo, if we could get a second horse that might make it easier for pursuit if needed.


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

That sounds sssatisfactory to me. I can offer some blacksmithing ssskills if needed.


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

"The more the merrier, after we have all we need when are we going to embark on our adventure."


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

I do have sssome coin to cover the cost of another horssse, if needed.


You are able to get a light horse that isn't properly combat trained, but has enough informal training to not run away unless directly attacked, as well a riding saddle.


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

"I'll drive first I guess. Everyone ready to go?"

Assuming everyone is ready Zhiyo will help tack the pets and start driving the cart along the selected route. Keeping an eye out for landmarks, bandits, and potential customers, all the while whistling a merry tune.

When we get about an hour away from people Zhiyo will say, "I once said I had something to tell you all once away from town, since we travel together I think you should know that I am not as human as I appear."


Half-Orc

"I thought something didn't quite smell right with you. Your sent didn't quite have the tang as other humans I have dealt with."


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

You're more human than I am, missster Zhiyo! as Sritaro chuckles to himself.


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

Crispin lets out a short laugh "well if you are not one you do a great impression of one."


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

Hrm, the most human one among us is the one with the giant fangs and the pointy ears. I certainly won't hold it against you for not being human.

Frankly, I've no idea what a Kitsune is anyways. I just assumed you were some kind of dog man. lol


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

I remember that ssstory... that was the better to hear us and eat us?


Half-Orc

Ignoring Ha'el's comment, he asks, "Well if you're not human, then what are you?"


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

He shifts to fox-form for now but if they come in sight of people or buildings he will change back.

"I'm a kitsune, glad to see you are all experienced people. I usually stay human in towns and stuff because the common folk usually distrust me as a fox so I try not to scare them too much. I'm sure you know what I mean Sritaro and maybe Morbak too, but then again we're an odd group."

Kitsune are fox-people who can naturally shift into a single human form and are usually purported to have extreme magical talents which dont seem to make it to rpg games, which is alright cause now I get to play one :)


The trip will take you first north, looping around to the village of Florency on the top of the headwaters, across the river, and continue your loop back to the river and down to Tuven. You take your time, plying your various trades as you go while looking out for any signs or information about bandit activity. It takes you a week to finish the loop to Florency.

You do come across a couple of potential traps on the northern eastern portion of the journey, but the would be assailants scatter before you reach them. Apparently, while there is some activity in this area, it's not particularly consolidated, and you don't hear of any rumors of anyone trying to do so in the immediate area. As you reach the northern apex and start going more south and east, you see and hear less and less about bandits until you start to go near the river again, when you once more have the same level of uncoordinated activity. It would seem that any activity on this side of the river is concentrated near the river, and highly uncoordinated or notable in it's execution.

Trade wise, you find a fair bit of opportunity in the hamlets and farmsteads that you pass through. People seem to be doing spring inventory, cleanup, and repair, as well as simply being happy to have winter over and ready to have some fun, so all of your various trades are welcomed. You all end up making 5 gp worth of coins, and will be able to replenish your supplies in Florency.

You arrive in the small village of Florency after a long, hot, dusty day on the road after a week of traveling though gently rolling hills, farmland, and the occasional stand of trees. To your south, you can see the headwaters of the Tulas River starting to turn the landscape into bayou country. Florency itself is a prosperous fishing village. It does have a small harbor and dock, but almost all of the boats are fishing boats that go out into the headwaters and nearby sea region. You are almost to the village itself when you notice some kind of large cat seems to be following you in a odd pattern. It will follow you for a bit, drift off for a bit when you look at it, then reappear to repeat the routine. Firebrand doesn't seem overly concerned, but the other animals are starting to get a little nervous.


Half-Orc

Knowledge-Nature to determine if a real animal would do that: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

EDIT: Is it just me, or do I only seem to roll well when it isn't a life or death situation?


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

well we have yet to experience anything remotely close to life or death yet so I would say its too early to call just yet. But lets hope the hot dice continue.

151 to 200 of 611 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Dangers of Civilization All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.