Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

The Dangers of Civilization

Game Master sunshadow21

The Western Trade Route runs through the Midrealms to the city of Cliffsgate and the Haven of Belauth. Being a settled region, This region should be perfectly safe for a group of up and coming stars, right?


51 to 100 of 611 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

After the RP, a quarter of the listed price.


Half-Orc

Thank you.


Sritaro:
You have been out in one of the outlying hamlets with several adepts from your order tending to an minor outbreak of disease amongst it's children. Having ascertained that the adepts could handle it, you have started to head back to your enclave just outside the town of Tuven. You are walking along quietly when you come across a wagon that seems to be stuck in the middle of the ford at a stream and a tired looking man beside it. As you approach, he smiles and hails you, "Greetings good sir, I don't suppose you could help a poor man out, could you? My wagon seems to have gotten stuck in the mud."

The preparations take a little bit of time, but you are able to secure the larger wagon and mules, and after a good night's sleep, the materials have been prepared. You start out on a beautiful bright spring day at dawn, the warmth of the rising sun at your back. The first couple days are uneventful, and near evening of the second day you are approaching the town of Tuven on the border. You come to a small stream that is requires a shallow fording. Small clumps of trees are interspersed with fields on either side. Currently there seems to be a wagon with horse unhitched stuck right in the middle of the road, with a man standing beside the wagon, and what appears to be a lizardfolk traveler wearing armor and basic weapons just ahead of you approaching to help. As you watch, you catch a glint of metal in several of the surrounding tree clumps in the setting sun. You are far enough back that no one up ahead has noticed you yet, and you don't think the lizard has seen anything but the scene on the road.

Map
The lizard guy is Sritaro, the party is just off of the map to the east.


Half-Orc

Raises hand to halt the wagon behind him and dismounts.

Perception check on the glint of metal to determine if it's an ambush: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

EDIT: *eyes popping out of head at seeing the dice roll* DAAAAAAAMN!


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

Crispin watches Morbak stop and signal the wagon to do the same. Crispin looks toward the scene ahead trying to see what might be wrong with the wagon.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Not, as good as Morbak's but better then I have been rolling on these boards in a while.


As you look closer, you can't tell exactly what the metal is, but you see it in several of clumps on both sides of the road, and yes, it looks very much like an ambush scenario.


Half-Orc

Pulls out bow, readies an arrow, and observes the upcoming events.


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

With a smile on his face, Sritaro greets the weary gentleman, speaking distinctly with a slight lisp.

I ssseee your wagon is having troubles. I see it is Pelina's will that I take this path to asssssist you.

Having spoken, Sritaro walks to the wagon and starts pressing his immense bulk into the back of the wagon, slowly dislodging it from the mud.

I assume it'll be a Strength check to see how well I progress. I'm also making a Perception check to see if I'm aware of the noise of the upcoming wagon.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Strength: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

@Morbak Dude, share those dice!


Half-Orc

@Sritaro, lol, I'm not sure you are wanting my "dice" right now. Granted I'm going off of a limited track record here, but if I'm right, my next roll isn't going to be all that good.

But here you go. *hands over some dice to Sritaro's Player.*


Sritaro is able to get the wagon picked up, but instead of helping get the wagon moved, the man draws a dagger and sticks it to the back of the nagaji's neck. "I suggest you do exactly what I say, my rich friend, lest you simply disappear never to be seen again."


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

Sritaro, not fully convinced of being in serious threat, continues to keep his pleasant demeanor and converses with his would be assailant.

Come wnow, friend. No reassson to draw blades over thisss. Attacking travelersss is no way to make a living in the world. And if you need aid, the many churches of Pelina would be glad to assssist a wonderful actor sssuch as yourself. I was sssss-certainly surprised.

With this, would now be a good time to Diplomacy roll to talk down the potential highway robber, or should I wait?. Also, when you say I picked up the wagon, do you literally mean I have the wagon lifted up to a certain point by grabbing the bottom and pulling up?


You can try Diplomacy if you want. Sense Motive would be good as well. Basically you grabbed the wagon wheel, and lifted it up just enough so he could try to slide a piece of wood underneath to keep it from sinking back into the mud when you let go.


Half-Orc

Attempts to stealthily move into some brush.

Stealth Check towards brush at K16: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

EDIT: See Sritaro, what did I tell you. LOL.


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

@GM would my Cobbler many other Talents use his sling to get a rock near the would be bandit maybe distracting him so Sritaro could get Free, Near only because he doesn't want to hurt Sritaro.


With Morbak's roll, that won't be required Crispin, but in the future, it would be a matter of aiming for the square you want it to go through.

Sritaro doesn't have a chance to respond as Morbak gets noticed as he tries to move around the scene into some brush. The man with the dagger curses, "Rot and bother. Take care of the newcomers, boys, I'll take care of our little do gooder."

Combat has begun. I will roll the initiatives and update the map as soon as I get home from work.


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

sry I took so long, Zhiyo was napping in the back of the wagon apparently


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

Sritaro is shocked at this revelation and responds accordingly.

Hey, if you had sssome friends nearby, why didn't they help get the wagon out?

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22

Naw, it's because you already passed 'em to me Morbak! /returns dice to Morbak... looks like he needs it more.


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

Can we see Sritaro from where we are in the wagon? I will assume so.

In his best imitation of Admiral Akbar, Ha'el says...

IT'S A TRAP!

leans over to the back of the wagon and pokes Zhiyo

Wake up friend, we've some nasty business to be done


Half-Orc

You know, the last time I played Pathfinder IRL, I rolled a one on a stealth check as well. And that character was a Rogue/Red Mantis Assassin. I'm beginning to think that stealth is my cursed roll skill.

"So much for the quiet way. Time to crack some skulls."

*Receives dice back from Sritaro* Thanks.


Combat:
A basic rundown of how I run combat. I will generally roll all initiatives as a way to save time, although if you do roll it before I get a chance, I will go with your roll. Once I have the rolls, I will try to group them as much as possible to facilitate a reasonable combat pace. If you could preface each combat action with the round # it would be helpful to keep track of actions.

Crispin 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Morbak 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Twitchy 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Zhiyo 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

bandit leader 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
thugs 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Round 1
bold still to go
Sritaro
Bandit Leader
Crispin
Thugs
Everyone else in posting order

Map is up.


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

I cant seem to see the map on my phone so I am looking for a group of badguys to throw a bomb at. If there is a group of two or more within range, I throw my bomb. Otherwise I cast shield

Attack nearest cluster with bomb 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18 for 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 damage. Adjacent creatures take 5.


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

@GM how close can we bring the wagon, if we can use that to get closer to get both Twitchy and the rest in range, would I have to use my turn to get the wagon closer.

@ Twitchy we are 65ft away from where the action is.


You can drive the wagon forward as your standard action. The mules are able to move 40'. At this point, you don't need to roll to control them, as nothing has really happened yet.


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

Crispin drives the wagon up the 40' I believe that will take them to 12. Then using his move action to get off the Wagon with style.

Crispin snaps the reins of the mules moving the wagon closer to disabled wagon, when stops the wagon he flips from the seat onto to the bridge, getting his hands in a position to draw his daggers next round. then talking to the figures in the water. "Excuse me strangers, might you need some assistance we might be able to help."

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14


Half-Orc

Round 1: Morbak does a perception check against Thugs Stealth check.

Perception vs Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

EDIT: With a roll like that, unless they have c*** Dex or roll a 1, good luck seeing anything. I'm beginning to feel like Flynn from Dorkness Rising.


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

Ok, back home now and I see that there is no way I can throw a bomb that far and I can't see any of the closer ones so instead ...

Round 1: *casts shield*


Male Kitsune Sor2 Rog1/ / HP=12 AC=18 TT=14 FF=14/ /F=0 R=4 W=3/ /INI=4

Zhiyo jumps awake at being poked, "Hey! What the... oh" He gets up, looks around to see what is around as the wagon pulls forward and then perception 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

casts shield on crispen for rnd one

and most likely will cast shield on himself for rnd 2

otherwise playing defensive for the moment


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

Round 1 action:

Sritaro, assuming that things didn't go as planned for the ruffian leader, tries to talk him down from anything drastic.

Good sssir, there's no need for this to come to violence, especially to innossscent travelers. Lay down your arms and let us travel in peace as Pelina desires.

Diplomacy to improve attitude: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25


Round 1

The man hesitates as Sritaro's words and the approaching wagon give him reason to be concerned about the success of this venture, especially when their reaction does not make it seem like they are particularly concerned about the outcome. He waits to see what the latest travelers will do and you see no additional movement from the clumps of trees you believe the other bandits are hiding in.

Round 2
bold still to go
Sritaro
Bandit Leader
Crispin
Thugs
Everyone else in posting order

only changes to the map have been the wagon moving forward.


Half-Orc

Round 2: I'll chance it.

Pulls bowstring back and aims at where he saw the glint of metal.

"Pelina, guide my arrow." Fires arrow.

Ranged Attack at possible thug hiding place: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

If needed for concealment (percent dice): 2d10 ⇒ (2, 9) = 11


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

Round 2 action:

Sritaro senses the man's uneasiness and relaxes a bit. He turns to his side to face the armed bandit leader, still bearing the same calming smile as he continues to disarm the man with the grace of Pelina.

Come now, good sssir. Call your men off and let's ssshare some jerky and dissscuss what has brought you here.

At this point, I believe I'm only vaguely aware that there are others nearby and cannot tell anything about them from this distance (and only looking out of the corner of my yellow eyes), correct?

Diplomacy to affect attitude: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Although I rolled again for Diplomacy, I just remembered that Diplomacy checks like this are roughly over the course of a minute... at least my die roll didn't change!


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

I believe the shield spell is self only Zhiyo.

Round Two: prepare a bomb and ready an action to throw it.


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

As much as I would love the AC bonus for Shield is only you. In my house game we have it that you can cast shield on a party member.

Crispin focuses his senses on the 2 men that are in the water trying to figure out what is going on he doesn't want to strike the wrong person.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13 To hear what is being said
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15 To see if there is continued aggression between the 2 men

Crispin hears mumbling over the sounds of the mules and the river he feels he has to move towards the 2 men. This time he draws one dagger hiding it out of sight until needed.

Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

"Hello gentlemen, may we be of assistance." as calmly as possible.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

Wall of text and non-combat rolls, yay. Trying to help Sritaro with no combat.


"Ah forget it, there's no way any of you are rich enough to make this worth it." The man sheathes his dagger, and heads over to his horse, clearly intent on leaving.

Diplomacy by itself would not have worked, but in conjunction with the arrival of the rest of the party, those were good enough rolls to make him think twice about his actions.


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

Do we see any more of the glinting metal in the bushes? Are they retreating? Or did Morbak's arrow strike home?

*Perception Check to see what is happening in the forest*

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

I suppose all of us in the wagon but Crispen were meta-gaming a bit as we likely wouldn't have known what was going on from 65 feet away. I guess we were just itching for a fight. 8)


You haven't really seen or heard much of anything in the trees beyond the occasional glint of metal. They seem to be content to simply watch for now. Morbak's arrow did elicit a short yelp, though whether it was a hit or simply a nervous bandit that did not being discovered isn't clear.


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

Initially pleased that the weapon was removed, a puzzled look comes across his scaled face.

Ssstill need help with your wagon, sssir?

Sritaro then turns to greet the newcomer, bowing gracefully to the humbly dressed being.

Greetings, sssmall child. I am fine, and it appearsss the gentleman behind me is leaving us be.


Half-Orc

Slings bow, takes a hold on Firebrands reins and walks up to the wagons.

Notice's Pelina's symbol on Sritaro's chain mail. "Greetings, brother of the sun." Puts an open hand in the middle of his chest, and bows, as is customary among adventurers of Pelina. "May the blessed light of Pelina guide you. My name is Morbak, and you are?"

Since our characters don't know who you are.


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

Sritaro looks up at the mounted greenskin and his eyes light up upon hearing another invoke the his goddess's name. He turns to Morbak and matches the reverent bow before introducing himself.

And may the light blessss you as well. I am Sssritaro, knight of the Sun Goddessss. What brings you here that Pelina would wish our pathsss cross?

Had to happen sooner than later, although I was expecting Crispin's response to the child joke first before the introduction.


The man actually leaves the stuck wagon, grabbing his horse and going cross country. When it becomes clear you don't plan on attacking, half a dozen other bandits eventually slink off into the brush. You currently have an empty farm wagon stuck in the middle of the road blocking your path.


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

Should we take the wagon?


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

@Sritaro your post hit during my commute and then family time.

Crispin looks at the newcomer wondering if tallies are all ignorant about his race or just plan don't care. This one tried to talk me then switched to the "adult" damn tallie.

Crispin walks toward Morbak and Sritaro sliding his dagger back into his wrist sheath making sure the click is audible. "Hello Sir, I believe you might have something wrong with your vision. I am no child but a full grown Halfling." Crispin pauses looking at the Newcomer and with a Bow. "I am Crispin Singe a Cobbler with many Talents.


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

Sritaro turns to Crispin with a puzzled look on his scaled face. After a few seconds of thought, he speaks out quizically.

Sssir Crispin, why are you called a halfling? Given your sssize, wouldn't thirdling or quarterling be more appropriate?

After saying this, Sritaro realizes his etiquette faux pas and walks over to Crispin, hand extended.

Err... it is a pleasssure to meet you Cobbler Crissspin. And thank you for your help. The presssence of you and your companions prevented much unnecessssary violence.

Tis okay,life happens. We'll be the best of friends over time!


Half-Orc

Slightly chuckles at the exchange between Sritaro and Crispin. Looks at the wagon the bandit left behind.

"Well we can't just leave this wagon here, we should at least try to get it off to the side of the road."

Dismounts and walks over to the stuck wagon.

"Ha'el, is there an extra board in our wagon we could use?"


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

*unsuccessfully manages to stifle a laugh at the short joke at Crispin's expense*

Hail good traveler. I am glad we could be of assistance and our arrival did seem rather timely. I am called Ha'el and my sleepy eyed friend here is Zhiyo. You've met Crispin and that handsome fellow over there is Morbak.

*hands Morbak a long plank used as a drying rack for tanning hides and hops down to help unstuck the wagon*

*to morbak* This might do the trick. I hope it holds as it is my only one. I beg you, if it looks like its going to break please let us grab one from the forest nearby as I need this.

*to Sritaro* These woods are obviously dangerous for single travelers. What brings you to this area?


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

Sritaro heads over to the wagon once again and lifts it up as high as he can, looking over to speak to the lanky elf.

I am heading back to my ssstation near Tuven after completing some hospice work in a hamlet to the sssouth. And what is the purpossse of your travel?

Strength check to lift the wagon again 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


Half-Orc

"Best let them explain, they understand it better than I." Slides board under the wheel. "Alright, let it down slowly."


Male Nagaji Hospitalier (Paladin) 2 HP: 22, AC: 20, Tch: 12, FF: 17, F: +9, R: +6, W: +8, Init: +2, Per: +7

Sritaro eases down the wagon onto the board, making sure to try and keep it intact for Ha'el. He then positions himself behind the wagon and starts to push.


Halfling(Jinx) Cobbler 3, HP: 21, AC: 19, Tch: 14, FF: 16, F: +2, R: +6, W: +2, Init: +3, Per: +9

Crispin walks over next to Sritaro and begins to push as well "Let me help"


Male Elf Alchemist 2 (HP: 11, AC: 17, TAC: 14, FFAC: 13, F: 4, R: 6, W: 0, Init: 4, Per: 4)

*leans heavily on the back of the wagon to free it from the muck*

We are on a trade mission attempting to open both new trade routes and new contracts with manufacturers, merchants, and farmers in the area of Cliffsgate. Are you familiar with the roads ahead? I do not know where Tuven is.

51 to 100 of 611 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Dangers of Civilization All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.