Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

The Custodians

Game Master DreamAtelier

An epic level game, about maintaining equilibrium and balance.


1 to 50 of 158 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

Welcome, once again, everyone who made it through. I'm looking forward to this game, and hopefully so are you.

Feel free to work in story ties between your characters now that you've all been picked. These don't need to be significant, but being members of the custodians, you would all know each other by reputation at the very least, so it would at least be good to know what your character thinks of the others.

I am at work right now, but I hope to get the collected rules from the other thread all condensed down into a single post here for you later this evening, when I get home.


Thanks for picking me! I'll have time for more posting later.


I am in the process of running through the crunch. I actually have been slowing working on it these last few days and have been slowly making decisions on shaping the skills, feats, abilities and so on.

My next action is to begin choosing gear and such.

DreamAtelier, when do you want a final build for consideration?
Also, will you be allowing the new Ultimate Equipment when it comes out?
Paizo ninja'd the release date to next week! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!


10 Board Lurker/10 Nice Guy/

I am here. Part of my character creation process this time was trying to make a realistic character with regards to potential death. Most of us try to avoid conflict in real life especially with our lives on the line. In most games combat is entered into lightly. I know I have never tried to talk myself out of a fight against obviously hostile opponents as a PC. Even though my character can still beat up many monsters there is always a puncher's chance of losing against the higher level creatures. Being willing and able to talk about a situation also lends others to know you are less likely to try and backstab them making negotiations easier.

PS:Don't worry I won't be a pacifist that refuses to enter combat*. I will just try to avoid it if possible.

I almost picked a doppleganger also. The switch to the lillend was a last minute thing

PS2:I am lillend bard CG
Dm Fnord - Advanced Doppleganger Wizard Alignment(??)
Dm Jelani/Skulda - Advanced Half-Celestial Norn Monk (N?)
Sigz/Kikubwa - Awakened Ape Barbarian/Ranger (C?)
Grand Moff Vixen -Half-Elf druid/20 Horizon Walker/5. NG


I'm neutral good thanks to my celestial blood. I can also cast resurrection once per day, so death isn't necessarily death. Not that I want to die or anything, just saying.

For making potential friends, Skulda has been in the Custodians for her entire life. Having been born with most of the power she has now, she may be in a slightly different position than the PCs who earned their badassery (yes, I just made that word up). She'd be most likely to relate to other naturally powerful beings.

Even though she looks like a young woman most of the time she's actually really really really old. She's kinda like an old hippy, you know, go with the flow and all that jazz. She can read most creatures like books, sees their futures and past swirling around them. She accepts people for who they are until they start hurting others, then she's likely to draw a firm line. She'd rather help someone than hurt them, but if you make her go there she'll throw down with the best of them. Psychotically in fact.

I feel like I'm writing a profile for a dating site or something, lol. If you guys wanna know anything else just let me know.

Edit:With all-around vision, blindsight 120 ft., low-light vision, greater arcane sight, true seeing and foresight as constant abilities, not to mention +34 perception and sense motive not much gets past her.


Howdy everyone!

I am looking forward to being here!

I have my background as having settled the northern part of the river kingdoms (kingmaker).

I have always liked the doppelganger but, I'm still looking at the coin in my hand as to whether to stick with the advanced doppelganger or go with an advanced half-celestial human.

One is more inclined to good than the other...

As a recently retired king, anyone else that has ties to nobility or is located near Brevoy, River Kingdoms area is welcome to have personal ties.

Since we are all epic before joining the Custodians, I would expect that we would at least know 'of' each other even if we don't personally know each other.

My alignment is still a bit malleable. TN has the most flexibility. For the doppel, I am considering lawful neutral. While the celestial would likely be neutral good.


Nice! I'm in!

Can you believe I found out recruitment was closed from reading another recruitment thread? Huh!? I was watching for the thread to bump up and didn't think to look so low on the page 'cause I figured the thread would be buzzing when the results were in. Heh...

Anyway.

Kiku (TN, he's an animal after all, though awakened into a magical beast) is the current gorilla king of the Mwangi Jungles who rose to power without Angazhan's aid or blessing (Hey, since we're going epic I figured he'd do something epic) so if anyone has had any business in Garund he'd have heard of Kiku. Kiku himself is content to stay in the jungles and I don't see him as having had any business outside of it.

I'll have to read up of your characters to see what Kiku's opinion would be of you as Custodians but a reminder; Though he's an awakened animal Kiku is fully capable of speech (he speaks two languages actually).

Kiku's interest consist mainly of lounging in tree tops in self-made hammocks of leaf and branch chewing on fruit (yes he's a vegetarian), drinking from springs of fresh water and sitting on his throne back on Golarion and observing his realm.

His demeanor is slow and unhurried, he likes quiet and natural sounds of teeming jungles but when aroused his rage is awesome and he tends to brake things. The battlegrounds Kiku leaves consist mainly of ruined areas that mark his passing.

I've actually been unsure of how to arrange his classes, whether to stick to barbarian/ranger or to just go full-on barbarian. With his wisdom score he could even make a more than decent druid. Barbarian/Druid perhaps? Any thoughts on that would be welcome though I think he'd be the coolest as a straight up barbarian.

As a custodian his methods are heavy-handed and brutal, as I said earlier he tends to deal with things by breaking them and leaving them to rot by the wayside. I figure he'll best serve as a battering ram when castle gates need to be breached or heads knocked together, though he's fairly intelligent (12) he has no sense for political subtleties, a dire ape attacks without warning when provoked and Kiku is still that.

I think Kiku's greatest strength is also his greatest weakness; his lack of guile and blunt ways.


a druid that animal shapes to humanoid...


And a druid that animal shapes to ape....


10 Board Lurker/10 Nice Guy/

I think Barbarian is a good way to go. If you go ranger would do it in level of 5,and take the guide archetype. Activating the ranger's focus is only a swift action, and it stacks with your rage.

It will also be an interesting contrast in the game because my character tries to avoid all conflict if possible.


10 Board Lurker/10 Nice Guy/

If I use the following feat would I be able to bring anyone with me. It does say I actually cast the spell, but I figured I would ask first to be sure you read it the same way.

Quote:


Dimensional Dervish

You teleport with a mere thought, savaging your opponents as you flash in and out of reality.

Prerequisites: Ability to use the abundant step class feature or cast dimension door, Dimensional Agility, Dimensional Assault, base attack bonus +6.

Benefit: You can take a full-attack action, activating abundant step or casting dimension door as a swift action. If your do, you can teleport up to twice your speed (up to the maximum distance allowed by the spell or ability), dividing this teleportation into increments you use before your first attack, between each attack, and after your last attack. You must teleport at least 5 feet each time you teleport.

Special: A monk can use additional points from his ki pool to increase his speed before determining the total speed for this teleportation.


Dude. Barbarian 20/Arcane Duelist 1/Dragon Disciple 4, you'll have epic strength. Wield a large sized adamantium bastard sword (-2 penalty to hit is nothing at these levels, if you're large make it a huge sword). Take all the vital strike/whatever feats that increase the damage of your standard action attacks and the sunder feats then run around the battlefield shattering everyone's sh*t. That's what I'd do anyway.


Sorry about my absence... I remain committed to this project. Just had to put one of the dogs down after it got mauled by a fisher when I got home the other day, so that's got me a bit distracted.

I'll be back into shape by the end of the weekend, I promise.


That's horrible. Many condolences.


Yes it is, my condolances as well.


10 Board Lurker/10 Nice Guy/

Sorry to hear that. Take your time.


Take your time. We will be here when you are ready.


been there, not an easy thing to have to do. we are here when you are ready.


Can't decide if I should be looking at archetypes or not... Armored Hulk is looking rather sexy atm.


How do you feel about what I suggested? If you like it you may like titan mauler. Invulernable rager is always nice too.


Heads up, the internet adapter on my pc gave out so until I get a new one I'm down to posting from a quirky laptop who's screen is broken (I need to say a little prayer every time I turn it on) and from work.

I'll do my damnedest to keep up but if I don't, please don't take it as lack of interest.

Sigz.

Edit; I'll look into those Skulda but I was looking into using my natural weapons, I just like the imagery, though I'm always willing to take suggestions.


Don't want to poo on your parade, but using only your natural weapons at this level of play is gonna severely hamper you. There are several reasons why.

-It'll take you down from 5 attacks per round to 3, and you won't be getting 1 1/2 times your strength modifier on any of them.

-Their damage is much lower compare a power attack bite (1d6+19) with a power attack huge bastard sword it's gonna be (3d8+28) not counting any magic on the sword.

-Your natural weapons are gonna have a hard time overcoming DR. With eldritch claws they can count as magic and silver but, that costs a feat and their damage remains low. (Guess you could still carry weapons of various materials as back ups though)

As to the vital strike feat chain, which is a separate issue than what weapon you end up using here are my thoughts. You can't move if you want to full attack. Which, with people flying and teleporting everywhere movement is gonna be important. With the vital strike chain you can get several attacks worth of damage stacked into one. Still not as good as a full attack, but better than nothing. It's the difference between 1d6+9 when you move and 4d6+9.

-------------

I agree that the whole king kong tear 'em up with teeth and claw thing is sweet, but the rules punish that approach at high level. In the end of course do what you feel is best, I'm just offering my views.

Another idea would be to take totem rage powers and gain more natural attacks that way. If you could pick up a gore and higher claw damage it might be worth it, I think Fiend Totem does something like that. The racial rend ability would help make up for it too.


Hey Skulda, I am focusing on the wild shape aspect for the druid and supporting this with spells as needed. With this in mind, what you do suggest that I could do to compliment the rest of the group without overlapping very much?

One of my thoughts is to become a huge creature and trample, grapple them into submission and other things. I am planning on taking the greater grapple feat to achieve this.

I am familiar with the rules but not as well versed in them as others.

What are some things and/or feats you feel I should consider?

Thanks.


Thank you Skulda. I do believe I'll go the way of the Vital Strike feats and you've aptly pointed out my main concern with the natural attack concept, namely overcoming DR and the feat cost at making it any good at epic levels.


@ Grand Moff - Never really played a druid in Pathfinder to be honest. I'll do some homework and get back to you.

@ Kikubwa - Yeah, the problem with Str focused builds (especially at high level) is that most of your damage output comes from your bonus to dice, not the dice themselves. The best way to utilize that strength is with a manufactured weapon because it gives you iterative attacks and 1.5x str mod on each blow. Not to mention the 3 for 1 you get while power attacking with a weapon held in two hands.

The adamantine blade suggestion was because it ignores hardness, and with greater sunder you could probably shatter most people's armor and/or weapons in a blow or two. Course then the DM will be forced to make our enemies super monks or something :P lol


Oh, ick... teleporting super monks... I remember a time when vampire ninja pugvampies were scary...


Worry not: I fully expect you to attempt to sunder your enemies' gear. It helps to prevent the wealth inflation that leads to everyone running around with enough +10 weapons to arm a small nation. And yes, they will occasionally do the same to you, particularly when they've identified only one of your weapons as being able to bypass their defenses. Thus Adamantine (at least for your main weapon) is highly recommended by the GM, because it is the most likely to last.

For anyone thinking about focusing on natural attacks, do remember that if you are possess an alignment sub-type, your natural attacks (as well as weapons you wield) count as being of that alignment for the sake of overcoming damage reduction. It admittedly isn't the most potent thing, but it is worth keeping in mind during the game.

So... re-gathered rulings on character creation, just in case anyone needs them for reference.

Ability Scores:

-Members of 0 hit die races will use 25 point buy, and assign their stat increases as they choose.
-Members of monstrous races use the scores printed for their race in the book, but may shift a number of points equal to the stat increases they gained from racial hit dice.

Class Levels and Racial Hit Dice/CR:

-PCs will be constructed on the basis of 25 class levels. For members of 0 hit die races, this is relatively easily done (25 class levels are taken). No base class may exceed 20 levels. No prestige class may exceed 10 levels.
-PCs of monstrous races will subtract either the CR of their race, or the number of racial hit dice, whichever is greater, from their available class levels.
-PCs who take templates will do the same as a PC using a monsterous race, but using those class levels they still had available after selecting their race, rather than the starting 25.

PCs may select from the core rulebook races, or any monsterous race published in a bestiary. They may not be constructed using the rules for the Advanced Race Guide.

Starting Wealth:

-Each class level a PC has shall contribute to their starting wealth as standard for the wealth by level chart. For PCs with more than 20 class levels, add 125,000 gp per level to the upper value of the chart.
-Every two racial hit dice a PC has shall contribute to their wealth as if it were a single class level, rounding down.
-Templates which do not provide hit dice but do adjust CR do not result in any gain in wealth.

PCs with crafting feats may reduce the cost of any item they can craft by 10% when purchasing it with starting funds. In play crafting will be conducted at the full 50% reduction, but will require time.

Epic Items:

Do not exist. All items adhere to their standard caps. Epic level damage reduction and immunities may be overcome by items which have an enchantment that would increase their enhancement sufficiently, such as the Bane and Alignment orientated special abilities.

Magic Beyond 20th Level:

It is only possible to progress beyond 20th level in a spell casting progression by being a member of a prestige class.
-1/3 and 2/3s casters (those classes limited to 4th and 6th level spells respectively) continue to gain spell slots as normal for their progression until they have gained 9th level spell slots.
-Full casters (those classes possessing 9 levels worth of spell slots already) receive 9 levels worth of spell slots at each level, distributed as they choose. Once made, these choices can not be changed.

-Regardless of what type of caster the character is, spell knowledge progresses at the rate of learning 1 additional spell from their class list per level.
-As an alternative, the caster may choose to permanently reduce the cost of applying any metamagic feats to a particular spell by 1 at each level. Different spells (or the same spell) may be chosen at each level.

Metamagic Feat Houserules:

-All Metamagic feats may be stacked with themselves via repeated applications of the feat, but the standard rules for stacking multipliers apply (ie, two x2 multipliers only multiplies the base number by 3).
-If the Heighten Spell metamagic feat is applied to the spell a caster has chosen to reduce the cost of metamagic feats for, it provides the normal benefits for the feat, despite the cost not increasing. This may increase a spell's level beyond 9 for the purposes of calculating saves.
-The Intensify Spell feat adjusts the cap of all level based variables of a spell upwards by 5, provided no other metamagic feat can be applied to those variables.

Firearms:

Do not exist at the beginning of the campaign. As such, no PC may begin play with knowledge of them, or training in their use.

Resources:

Are limited to those published by Paizo and contained on d20pfsrd.com

Leadership:

Leadership is a perfectly appropriate feat for a campaign at this power level. However, no cohort may exceed 20th level, and cohorts are NPCs. As such they may be controlled by the GM without warning, but will not refuse any reasonable request from the PC they are associated with during that time.
-Cohorts come with an amount of gear appropriate for a heroic NPC of their Level.
-Followers (when important) may be outfitted with an amount of gear equal to a non-heroic NPC of their level.

Neither followers nor cohorts receive a reduction in the cost of their gear based on their crafting feats. Equipment above their minimums may be purchased out of the associated PCs funds, and qualifies for a reduction as gear for that PC would.

I think I got them all. If there's anything I've missed, please let me know... and of course, and questions that folks have are always welcome.

I anticipate getting the first game play post up by the 23rd, and would like people to plan on having their characters completed by the 24th or 27th at the latest. If that isn't possible, let me know and we'll work something out; I don't anticipate mechanics being super important right off the bat, so there's a bit of of wiggle room that we can work with.

I'd also like to thank all of you for your sympathy and understanding... it was greatly appreciated.


Skulda wrote:

I'm neutral good thanks to my celestial blood. I can also cast resurrection once per day, so death isn't necessarily death. Not that I want to die or anything, just saying.

Just wanted to correct a minor thing here: you definitely don't want to rely on your own 1/day resurrection to come back from the dead, since you'd need to be alive to use it. ^_^ Though it is a great thing for you to have and use on other party members when they need it.


DreamAtelier wrote:
Skulda wrote:

I'm neutral good thanks to my celestial blood. I can also cast resurrection once per day, so death isn't necessarily death. Not that I want to die or anything, just saying.

Just wanted to correct a minor thing here: you definitely don't want to rely on your own 1/day resurrection to come back from the dead, since you'd need to be alive to use it. ^_^ Though it is a great thing for you to have and use on other party members when they need it.

That's what I meant :P I do have a separate question though, what happens if my shears get sundered? Since they are part of my race would they reappear the next day or something? Also, my spell resistance from half celestial is capped at 35 rules as written. It should really be 36 (CR+11), is that okay since we're playing beyond 20th?


I'm finishing up my char sheet, and should have it ready for review tomorrow.

I'm torn on taking a standard familiar that just sits in my pocket and one that can use wands... any suggestions?


DM Fnord wrote:

I'm finishing up my char sheet, and should have it ready for review tomorrow.

I'm torn on taking a standard familiar that just sits in my pocket and one that can use wands... any suggestions?

I will wild shape into a creature and act like your familiar. Since I can use wands, there you go! :-D


10 Board Lurker/10 Nice Guy/
Mr. Swagger wrote:

If I use the following feat would I be able to bring anyone with me. It does say I actually cast the spell, but I figured I would ask first to be sure you read it the same way.

Quote:


Dimensional Dervish

You teleport with a mere thought, savaging your opponents as you flash in and out of reality.

Prerequisites: Ability to use the abundant step class feature or cast dimension door, Dimensional Agility, Dimensional Assault, base attack bonus +6.

Benefit: You can take a full-attack action, activating abundant step or casting dimension door as a swift action. If your do, you can teleport up to twice your speed (up to the maximum distance allowed by the spell or ability), dividing this teleportation into increments you use before your first attack, between each attack, and after your last attack. You must teleport at least 5 feet each time you teleport.

Special: A monk can use additional points from his ki pool to increase his speed before determining the total speed for this teleportation.

Bump


My sort of researched opinions about a wild shaping druid:

Shaping Focus

Planar Wild Shape

Quick Wild Shape

Natural Spell (Obviously)

Powerful Shape

From looking at animals briefly I'd say your best animal option is probably the Tyrannosaurus, especially if you take the grapple feats. You could cast animal growth on yourself and be a pretty wicked grappler (until someone casts freedom of movement). Huge air elemental is probably a better flier than a Roc.

Overcoming DR is gonna be a problem for you as well. The t-rex focuses all it's damage into one big bite which would help a little. You can be a celestial one to overcome DR/Good as well, and Eldritch Claws would also be useful.

--------------------------
Shapechange is probably your best option since it gives you access to a few better forms (giants, dragons) and you can change shape 1/round as a free action. You may not be able to cast that every fight though.

A metamgic rod of extend spell is gonna be your friend as well. More buff for your buck.


DM Jelani wrote:
DreamAtelier wrote:
Skulda wrote:

I'm neutral good thanks to my celestial blood. I can also cast resurrection once per day, so death isn't necessarily death. Not that I want to die or anything, just saying.

Just wanted to correct a minor thing here: you definitely don't want to rely on your own 1/day resurrection to come back from the dead, since you'd need to be alive to use it. ^_^ Though it is a great thing for you to have and use on other party members when they need it.
That's what I meant :P I do have a separate question though, what happens if my shears get sundered? Since they are part of my race would they reappear the next day or something? Also, my spell resistance from half celestial is capped at 35 rules as written. It should really be 36 (CR+11), is that okay since we're playing beyond 20th?

I don't see a particular problem with easing the cap on that, given the level of the campaign.

As far as the shears, I'm trying to think of a good compromise that simultaneously ensures I can't just strip parts of your race from you, but also ensures that their destruction is as much an impediment as having a weapon sundered is to anyone else. So what I'm thinking is
-Any race with a unique racial weapon (like the shears) will be allowed to reforge them as a blade bound magus would a broken black blade. Which is to say, by waiting a week (during which time you are presumed to be working on the repairs) and paying 200gp per racial hit die in materials.
Please let me know if that seems fair to everyone else.


Mr. Swagger wrote:
Mr. Swagger wrote:

If I use the following feat would I be able to bring anyone with me. It does say I actually cast the spell, but I figured I would ask first to be sure you read it the same way.

Quote:


Dimensional Dervish

You teleport with a mere thought, savaging your opponents as you flash in and out of reality.

Prerequisites: Ability to use the abundant step class feature or cast dimension door, Dimensional Agility, Dimensional Assault, base attack bonus +6.

Benefit: You can take a full-attack action, activating abundant step or casting dimension door as a swift action. If your do, you can teleport up to twice your speed (up to the maximum distance allowed by the spell or ability), dividing this teleportation into increments you use before your first attack, between each attack, and after your last attack. You must teleport at least 5 feet each time you teleport.

Special: A monk can use additional points from his ki pool to increase his speed before determining the total speed for this teleportation.

Bump

Had to double check some stuff on it, but yup. You are actually casting the spell here, and thus can take others and objects as the spell rules allow.


DM Fnord wrote:

I'm finishing up my char sheet, and should have it ready for review tomorrow.

I'm torn on taking a standard familiar that just sits in my pocket and one that can use wands... any suggestions?

Wand usage is always nice, for the action economy thing. But, even if you have a wand using familiar, at this level you have to ask yourself how useful a spell from a wand is going to be.

For any spell that allows SR or a save, it probably won't be worth it that often, at least not against your main opposition. The DC for any saves allowed would just be so low that most creatures could make them on anything but a natural 1, while the caster level check of the wand is probably going to be so small it wouldn't have a chance of penetrating SR. However, the familiar might find itself quite useful in dealing with the minions of your opposition... a familiar with a wand of fireball or lightning bolt would certainly help to prevent you getting swarmed by any lower level backup your main opposition might be able to call.

For buff spells, it's probably still a fine idea. You get the extra buff in each round, and while the durations won't be great, they'll probably be sufficient.

So, I'd generally say your familiar would be relegated to a buffing roll... but there's nothing wrong with that, as it frees your character up to do some of the other, perhaps more important, things.

Also, given the wealth available, you could consider buying (or making) your familiar a staff, which will make it far more capable when it tries to do some of the other stuff. And be rechargeable.


I'm going to be taking staff-like wand. Would that extend to the familiar?


DM Jelani wrote:

My sort of researched opinions about a wild shaping druid:

Shaping Focus

Planar Wild Shape

Quick Wild Shape

Natural Spell (Obviously)

Powerful Shape

From looking at animals briefly I'd say your best animal option is probably the Tyrannosaurus, especially if you take the grapple feats. You could cast animal growth on yourself and be a pretty wicked grappler (until someone casts freedom of movement). Huge air elemental is probably a better flier than a Roc.

Overcoming DR is gonna be a problem for you as well. The t-rex focuses all it's damage into one big bite which would help a little. You can be a celestial one to overcome DR/Good as well, and Eldritch Claws would also be useful.

--------------------------
Shapechange is probably your best option since it gives you access to a few better forms (giants, dragons) and you can change shape 1/round as a free action. You may not be able to cast that every fight though.

A metamgic rod of extend spell is gonna be your friend as well. More buff for your buck.

I'd tend to agree with most of these assessments. I'd also say that you might want to consider the Feral Combat Training feat, which you can qualify for (aspect of the beast will get you natural weapons to get weapon focus with, or you can just wait until your total available hours of wild shape exceeds 24 at level 9 and get the feat that way). This would let you apply any unarmed combat feats to a particular type of natural attack, whenever you're in a shape that has it... and ability damage, such as from bonebreaker would bypass DR.

Admittedly this would be rather feat intensive. Shapechange is still probably your best option. If you use the Animal Domain for your nature bond, you'd get an extra casting of it per day.


DM Fnord wrote:
I'm going to be taking staff-like wand. Would that extend to the familiar?

I don't particularly see a problem with extending it to your familiar, but it would trigger off the familiar's stats and caster level (since they would be the one using the wand). This would mean that you're probably not going to be seeing much of a benefit (assuming a high intelligence familiar, you're probably looking at +1 to +3 on the save DC of most spells, and no real benefit to dealing with SR).


Here's a thread I made about the druid.


As it came up in the above mentioned thread:

Custom magic items at creation will be allowed only if the PC could craft them (and please provide a breakdown for what you're crafting here, so it can be double checked).


A few of the items I am listing as crafted have spells used in crafting that are divine. So far I haven't crafted anything other than adding two existing items together.

Since I can craft the most expensive component first, then craft onto it each additional component, I can make the crafting in steps.

For instance, a Ring of Feather Fall, Sustenance, and Protection +5, starts out as a Ring of Protection +5. This has a forge requirement of 3x the bonus caster level, which I have, forge ring feat (also have), and the spell shield of faith (doh).

The base caster check to create is DC 5 + caster level of the item +5 for any prerequisite not met. So my spellcraft check is 5+15+5=25.

My spellcraft is +36, +41 with crafter's fortune. Since skills don't auto-fail on a 1 I can handily craft the item. Or take 10.


DreamAtelier wrote:

As it came up in the above mentioned thread:

Custom magic items at creation will be allowed only if the PC could craft them (and please provide a breakdown for what you're crafting here, so it can be double checked).

Crap. With no custom items unless I take crafting I might as well go full caster as I was going to use some custom armor that would stay active in wild shape. With my ac being so low now anything of at least half my level can hit me even half of the time.

Time to rearrange my druid. This will take some time.


Hey DM, if we know each other, can we assume crafting for the group? even if full price for others?

Not allowing custom magic items will suck for anyone using weapons or armor. Unless you are allowing random generation using the tables for loot?

Take for instance, the ring I outlined above.

A ring of feather fall costs 2200.
A ring of sustenance costs 2500.
And a ring of Protection +5 costs 50000.

The customization rules state that you can pay a spell caster to enchant additional abilities onto an item. The cost increases by 50% for the lesser costing items.

So I am effectively paying a caster $3300 to add feather fall to the ring of protection, and another 3750 to add sustenance.

If I cast it myself, I am getting a 10% reduction off the total cost, but still paying a premium for adding the items together.


Grand Moff Vixen wrote:
DreamAtelier wrote:

As it came up in the above mentioned thread:

Custom magic items at creation will be allowed only if the PC could craft them (and please provide a breakdown for what you're crafting here, so it can be double checked).

Crap. With no custom items unless I take crafting I might as well go full caster as I was going to use some custom armor that would stay active in wild shape. With my ac being so low now anything of at least half my level can hit me even half of the time.

Time to rearrange my druid. This will take some time.

I should say: any martial class at 10th level with full BAB will be able to hit me half of the time.

And this is assuming no strength bonus. With even a +2 that goes up above half. If combat feats are taken (read: fighter) then the chance to hit goes even higher.

I picked up a custom hero lab file that factors in different wild shape forms and the best AC I can muster is 21 before any additional magic items.

Not very good for my level. With the custom armor I can get at least 30. Just something
I found out when I started looking at the rules for AC and all that.


10 Board Lurker/10 Nice Guy/
Grand Moff Vixen wrote:
DreamAtelier wrote:

As it came up in the above mentioned thread:

Custom magic items at creation will be allowed only if the PC could craft them (and please provide a breakdown for what you're crafting here, so it can be double checked).

Crap. With no custom items unless I take crafting I might as well go full caster as I was going to use some custom armor that would stay active in wild shape. With my ac being so low now anything of at least half my level can hit me even half of the time.

Time to rearrange my druid. This will take some time.

I think you can make any magic armor that is possible by the RAW. As an example you can have the +5, wild armor.<--He is not disallowing this.

A custom item would be like having +5 wild armor that cast entangle and gates in monsters. <--No armor enhancement in the game for those.


@DM How are you wanting to handle a wizard's spell book and spells available?


This is DM Ford's Avatar for the game.

I also have the profile and character nearing completion.

Still needing to look at spells known, and the familiar and cohort.


Swagger is right... adding special abilities to armor or a sword isn't what I meant by custom.

By custom, I was referring to the slotless item that grants extra 9th level spell slots, or the set of armor that casts a healing spell every time it is struck.

And yes, you may create items for other party members, but you do not receive any portion of the cost they spent on it.


DreamAtelier wrote:

Swagger is right... adding special abilities to armor or a sword isn't what I meant by custom.

By custom, I was referring to the slotless item that grants extra 9th level spell slots, or the set of armor that casts a healing spell every time it is struck.

And yes, you may create items for other party members, but you do not receive any portion of the cost they spent on it.

Many thanks for the clarification. I will stick with the focus on wild shape.

I should have something up by tonight to look at. I think it will work very well.

1 to 50 of 158 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post Discussion / The Viewing Lounge All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.