Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

The Baron's Tower

Game Master Tarlane


1 to 50 of 167 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Andoran

Phew, this turned way longer than I intended so I'm sorry about that.

Picture of the General to test if everyone can get to it.

Interrupting the conversation going on in the simple tent, the flap is drawn back and a tall man dressed in fine black armor strapped over deep crimson clothing enters. His short brown hair is combed back carefully and a neatly trimmed mustache adorns his face. He walks with an air of confidence over to the desk, his gaze quickly sizing up each of you as he does.

Following the man is an older human, dressed instead in simple loose flowing clothes made for easy traveling though their quality is fine enough to imply he spent well on them. His hair is beginning to grey and he flashes a bit of a salesman's smile at the assembled people though he remains quiet, letting the first man speak.

"Welcome to each of you. As you may or may not know, I am General Dakovya, charged with leading Andoran's western forces. I have called all of you here because to have the commanders beneath me tell it, each of you is truly skilled."

He pauses a moment, his hand raising to his jaw as he looks over each of the assembled members again before nodding. "I can see that, and see it I shall because I am counting on you. An entire town is counting on you and that skill."

Continuing along with the clear assumption that you all are in agreement, the General doesn't seem to be used to dissenting opinion. "Andoran faces a threat of a measure it has not seen since our split from Cheliax became official all those decades ago. In that time, the devilish nation has never been able to establish any sort of foothold on our lands. If we do not move swiftly that looks to change in the next days. The insidious fools have proven themselves as sneaky as their master's."

"There aren't many trails through the hills which can be traversed by a force of any size nor the wagons which would allow an army to be supplied. Piren's Bluff is a small mining town which sits along one of these main trails. Being in such a strategic location naturally the town boasts a proper keep to keep the passage secure, if the Chelish were to attack they could hold their own long enough for our own force to arrive and route them. Unfortunately word from my spies tells me that the Chelish may not need attack."

"The ruler of Piren's Bluff, one Baron Vendikon, has been under our attention for some time now, however he had as of yet done nothing to warrant deposing him, an act which would certainly result in bloodshed. Unfortunately it looks like this is no longer an option. A spy has delivered us a message stating that the Baron intends to hand over the city to Chelish forces in the next week. Having this town, small as it may be, would allow Chelish forces a direct path into the country behind our front lines. The danger would be enormous."

He pauses then for a moment considering his next words carefully. "We are prepared to overtake the fort with the forces we have amassed, even the gathering of our troops outside are likely enough to dissuade any Chelish approach, an attack and obvious act of war is quite different than allowing for a defection after all. It is not as simple as all that, however, and this is where you come in. I know that most of the people of the town are not looking to secede, even most of the soldiers are certainly simply following their lords commands. I have no interest in a bloodbath such as would certainly come if my soldiers breached the walls and took the town by force, not to mention the danger posed by weakening the forts defenses while Chelaxian troopers are keeping an eye on it. We want this to go off with as little harm to the townsfolk as possible."

"With that in mind we have come up with a plan. We need to send in our troops to ensure that Cheliax doesn't gain a foothold in Andoran at any cost. However, we can send you in advance. My friend here, Gaskar, is a civilian agent of mine and a merchant who frequents the town. If you take place as his guards no attention will be paid to your arrival. Once inside Gaskar will quickly conduct his business and depart which will be our sign to move in and lay siege to the town. Being within the walls should give you a unique opportunity to identify which of the prominent townsfolk are loyalist and which approve of the defection and, if you are truly as skilled as I have heard, to deal with the baron without unnecessary bloodshed. I pray that you are."

"Should you accept such a mission I can promise you will be well paid for the task, you will take your place on my short list of skilled help, and perhaps most you will know that many of your fellow citizens owe their lives to you. Gaskar can provide you a layout of the town and its important buildings, though he's never been inside the keep proper. Also, I would tell you that we know there are a few loyalist within the town itself who have spoken to our agents, but I do not have their identities. Supposedly those my agents trust are given a sprig of mistletoe with a yellow ribbon to display to mark them as allies. These people may be able to help you, but you must be careful that their affiliation not come out or they would be in great danger."

Finally he stops his long winded briefing and looks to each of you. "You would not be here being given such information if my commanders had not instilled in me a trust in you so that I hope I know your answer to all this. Are you prepared to serve your country and do what is right?"


Male Human Holy Tactician / 5

Sam'hain stands stoically throught the briefing, his posture rigid and his eyes focused. As the General closes, Sam'hain steps forward and, in typical knightly pomp, takes a knee in front of the general and bows his head. My lord, you have my sword for your cause, as always. With the Shining Mistrss as my sheild and holder of my honor, I will not allow Cheliax to gain a foothold in our lands.

He stands, then turns to glance back at the men and women with whom he'd been speaking. With allies such as these, my victory is ensured.. The burly knight seems to think for a moment, then adds. Our victory, rather...a victory for all the goodly folk who would not be trampled under the boots of oppression!

Might I ask, sir, if you have any information as to why the Baron plans to hand over the town? Is he of fiendish descent, or is he a thrall? Or, is he simply a greedy man who was offered the right price?

Grand Lodge

Lyra, Human Cleric of Sarenrae, 4

Wow, A chance to serve the whole country! I know Lia will never pass up the chance to help so many people. She is so brave and clever, and these 3 men look very strong, but I wonder if we'll be enough.

Iridae nods eagerly at Liandra to accept for her, since she's too excited to speak clearly for herself.


Male Deity (15 Power Point Currently, 3rd turn of 2nd Age done)

Omaz nods at Sam'Hain's comments, "This good man says it better than I could, General. When the fire of liberty is threatened, no decent Andoran can ignore such a call. I too am curious for more details of the baron."

Qadira

Male Human Bladebound Kensai 5

"Well said sir knight. I stand ready to aid.
+Consider carefully 'friend', we have a greater purpose than defending a country.
- Ah, but this mission falls well within the pervue of our purpose. Cheliax is an evil place, run by evil people.
+ It isn't 'good' or 'evil' that concern me.
- I know where your concerns lay, this will promote freedom as well.
+ Don't presume to know more than you do. I was ancient before your grandfather's grandfather was babe, but I will succeed to this...for now. Do not dissapoint.


Female Half-Elf Rogue 3/ Urban Ranger 2

Liandra's lips twitch in a tiny smile at Sam'hain's actions, not mocking but somewhat amused at the drama involved. Looking to Iridae she can see her excitement and her resolve.

As Irri nods her agreeement, Liandra takes a deep breath, thrill of a dangerous mission bringing that familiar rush.

"I'm in. As is my companion Iridae." she says indicating her friend. "We'll show this bastard what happens to traitors, and keepthe town safe." her tone is respectful albeit far more familiar that is probably aappropriate, perfectly in keeping with her personality.

Andoran

The general gives a nod of his head to each of you, seeming pleased with the answers given.

"Very good, I am glad we can move forward with this plan, I believe the people of Piren's Bluff are in good hands."

He looks to Sam'hain and frowns slightly "Unfortunately it seems that much of the man's motivations in risking the town and Andoran as a whole comes from a greed for power. Though a young man when we took our independence, Vendikon's family ruled a large barony for generations. As we gained freedom the aristocracy was dismantled, giving the power to the elected officials in the Council of Almas."

"The choice of siding with the people and surrendering their titles or attempting to maintain their Chelish given status and facing the anger of the people's revolution was more difficult for much of the nobility than it should have been. Several nobles have attempted to strike a middle ground, acknowledging the Council but clinging to their old lands and titles. This 'Baron' is the last holdout among them. Though much of his barony has been reclaimed by the people, his keep in Piren's Bluff is remote enough to have escaped the revolution's notice."

"He is not beyond ours. The Council has watched him carefully for signs of defection, we would not wish to risk the men of his lands so long as he remained loyal but it appears that Chelish promises have finally proved too great. I suspect that much of the temptation comes from a renewed title and lands, though the Baron fancies himself a wizard and the diabolists have plenty of gifts of arcane power to offer as well. Whatever may have led him to this, I would be wary not to underestimate the man. He may not be an idealist but he has been able to play a balancing act for years."

Grand Lodge

Lyra, Human Cleric of Sarenrae, 4

Fearing to stutter in front of such an important personage as the general, Iridae sends a magical whispered *message* for her friend's ears only.

@Liandra

Celestial Whisper:

W-what are we supposed to d-do when we find the b-baron, arrest him? P-persuade him to do the right th-thing?

And- Aren't I a little sh-short for a(stormtrooper) bodyguard?

Liandra makes a gesture for her friend to ask the general herself. Iridae quickly shakes her head "no."


Female Half-Elf Rogue 3/ Urban Ranger 2

Liandra leans closer to Iridae as she whispers.

Celestial whisper:

"He doesn't sound like the type to be persuaded by morality, but everybody deserves a chance I suppose. Maybe you can be the merchan's daughter, or apprentice...but definitely too delecate looking to pass for a bodyguard."

"So...when do we get started towards this "Baron"? It sounds as if we're on a tight deadline. Are we expected to arrest him? That could cause problems if there are enough loyal to him."


Male Deity (15 Power Point Currently, 3rd turn of 2nd Age done)

"A wizard," Omaz ponders, "I don't know enough of wizard craft to grow arrogant in dealing with it." He glances to the others "Are any of you versed in the arcane?"


Female Half-Elf Rogue 3/ Urban Ranger 2

"Honestly,if he can't talk, see or move his hands, you're good," Liandra quips.


Male Deity (15 Power Point Currently, 3rd turn of 2nd Age done)
Liandra Nightwind wrote:
"Honestly,if he can't talk, see or move his hands, you're good," Liandra quips.

Omaz laughs, taps his halbred's edge with a gauntleted finger, "If must be, that can be arranged. I've no love of traitors or tyrants."

Qadira

Male Human Bladebound Kensai 5

"Not completely safe, but a good start. I am rather familiar with the mystic arts. One of my many talents." he says with a sly smile and a wink to Iridae.

Andoran

Nodding a bit to Liandra, the General brings a small pouch from his belt and drops it on the table with a clink of coin before motioning to the man beside him. "Indeed, I would have you set out as soon as possible. Each day that passes will carry with it risk. The threat of Cheliax bringing in their own troops is diminished once we have set camp outside the town's walls, but we will only be able to hold the siege for so long before something breaks and we have to press forward. Make use of this coin as you see fit for your mission, be it bribes, equipment or anything else that is necessary."

Stepping forward a bit, the older man gives a small smile. "I am ready to leave as soon as you are. The General here has been kind enough to offer horses for any of you who ride, I'll be leading a wagon of goods and those of you who aren't familiar with horses can ride with me. We have about a two day journey to Piren's Bluff and can pick up anything you may need on the way there."

"I'm not very skilled in the way of combat so I hope to slip back out of town before the troops show up and things are locked down, but I have traded with the town for several years now and am quite familiar with it. At the General's request I have sketched out a map of the towns proper along with some notes about the more prominent citizens. Being a border town they have a rather high ratio of guards so be careful in that, but most of the people who live there are simple miners."

I know its not a 'sketch' but this should give a good view of the town. Gaskar has never been into the keep itself so he has no idea of its layout, that is beyond the wall at the southern edge.

Map of Piren's Bluff

Notes about the map

Spoiler:
1. - Watch Towers - Wooden towers which are always manned even in peacetime.

2. - The Dead Well - Inn built around a dried well and run by a gambler 'Lucky' Ben.

3. - Shenk's Dogyard - Tweiford Shenk trains dogs famously and keeps track of the Baron's fool of a nephew.

4. - Graden's - Simple supply shop, owners are very rough people.

5. - The First Light - Run down Temple of Aroden all but the old priest tend to leave it be.

6. - Terron's Yard - Terron Redgrove maintains a family stable business here.

7. - Forest Bounty - Grocer in town. Family of halflings is very friendly and those I deal with most.

8. - The Bucket & Bellows - Blacksmith Smaar Janderfut and his sons are always busy trying to keep up with the mines.

9. - The Lodge - Cantina for hunters and rangers who look after the hills. Never been welcomed in to see the inside.

10 - The Black Candle - Herbal Remedies and Alchemy. Viaren is skilled with plants and potions.

11 - The Conqueror's Blade - Tavern which serves the off duty guard. Often filled with soldiers and occasionally even their captain to boost morale.

12 - Pact Hall - Temple of Asmodeus built a few years ago when the Baron converted. Townsfolk complained but with no real change its become part of life.

13 - Almir Estate - Chelish house that never left town, House Almir runs all the mining ventures around the town. Very influential.

14 - Argith's Alchemy Shoppe - Argith is a young but talented Alchemist who has obsessions with experimenting with various compounds.

Take time to plan anything you wish and determine if there is anything you wish to buy along the way to the town or any questions you may have. You are an armed force traveling through fairly safe lands, we don't need to go through the days of travel.


Male Deity (15 Power Point Currently, 3rd turn of 2nd Age done)

Omaz eyes the map, I wonder where the defenses would be weakest? trained in seige warfare and some engineering, he realizes while it is the worst case scenerio, a seige might be inevitable if their mission fails.
Knowledge Engineering": 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Prof Seige Engineer": 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

"Does anyone have some rope? Hopefully we won't have to climb any walls in or out, but one can never be sure."

Another thought hits him as he glances over the map, "And I wonder if any of the guards will have loose tongues at the Conquering Blade?"

Grand Lodge

Lyra, Human Cleric of Sarenrae, 4

Those poor people have only The Lost God and the King of the Devils to seek guidance or comfort from. And their leader seems to care nothing for them. I wonder if we will find a leader amongst them who honestly cares for the well being of the people.

Iridae smiles softly at the mental image of the exotic warrior bravely scaling a keep's walls. Not wanting to put her friend out any further to speak on her behalf, Iridae responds to the warrior in a soft, muscial voice, I d-don't have arcane talents, b-but I have some other g-gifts. Although, I've never tested them ag-gainst a wizard who seeks the favor of the Great D-devil. And I have some rope, b-but I have never had d-difficulty getting invited into anyplace I wish to go. She swallows nervously. G-getting out again m-may be a different story.

Qadira

Male Human Bladebound Kensai 5

"Yes, I don't think we'll have trouble getting in, there should be nothing to tip off the townies, assuming no one else knows of our plan here? he asks looking at the General.


Male Human Holy Tactician / 5

Sam'hain nods slowly at the information about the baron, his face drawn down in a look of distaste. He looks at Iridae with resolve. If this Baron is devoted to the vile god of the diabolists, then we have nothing to fear from him or his kind. The true light of the Shining Mistress pierces through the darkest veils, and his false control over this town is no different. Fear not, for his people will see the light of our ways, and we'll find our share of allies.

He nods to Gaskar. You have my thanks for the map, Sir; it will be put to good use. Do you know if the Pact hall is manned by any of Asmodeus's priests?


Male Deity (15 Power Point Currently, 3rd turn of 2nd Age done)

Omaz listens to the others' comments and takes it in, "Well, it seems this group is myriad in its talents. I'm grateful for that."

Andoran

Omaz

Spoiler:
From a hand drawn map it is difficult to make out details, but what you can tell at least is that the towers look to be well placed and would be hard to get past without being seen, especially with a decent length of open ground around it, which would make a perfect killing ground for archers.

He has far less information on the keep itself, but from what he has indicated it seems to have a solid gatehouse of its own as well as towers on a much more solid stonewall and makes use of sheer mountains around it to provide cover from 3 sides. Climbing inside around the walls may be possible but would require a skilled climber and would leave you in the open in view of the keep on the climb down.

The general looks to Zarif and shakes his head "No, no one but those in this room know of the plan and this seems the safest way to proceed since you will be in no direct contact with the troops."

Gaskar nods his head to Sam'hain's question. "Yes, there is a woman who works within and serves as the Priestess of the temple, though I have never been inside myself. I believe she is an elf or the like. From what I have seen, after the initial backlash of building such a temple it seems to function peacefully within the city. The people settled down when its construction didn't cause Asmodeus himself to appear and since it has gained a bit of a following, being the only religious service still active in town."


Male Human Holy Tactician / 5

Sam'hain grimaces. That's...unfortunate. I would prefer to ride, and am ready now, if my companions are as well.

Grand Lodge

Lyra, Human Cleric of Sarenrae, 4

The shy slip of a girl who always places herself in the shadow of her bold friend, speaks with more passion than you've heard before. Despite her shyness and her stammer, Iridae's voice is still a joy to the ear. P-perhaps we can sp-speak with the priest at Aroden's temple? Along with d-displacing the b-baron, p-perhaps we could also help the townsp-people find a d-deity who deserves their trust.

Iridae looks to her friend. If Liandra is r-ready to go, then so am I. Although I'm afraid I d-don't have much experience with horses.

She turns to Gaskar. And I don't think anyone will b-believe I'm a g-guard. Y-your washerwoman perhaps?

Andoran

Just a heads up Iridae because I know you are coming in newer to Pathfinder. Aroden is actually a dead God. Just about 100 years ago he was supposed to return to the world, it was a prophecy. On the day it was supposed to happen there were terrible storms all over that lasted days and a number of other natural disasters. It basically resulted in some clerics who focused on fate going mad and his clerics stopping to be able to draw power. While it isn't known how it happened, it is accepted that he died and in that century prophesy has stopped coming true.

A cleric of Aroden is likely to be a good person and ally(assuming they accepted the loss of their god without some sort of insanity) but there isn't much of a faith remaining around him.


Male Deity (15 Power Point Currently, 3rd turn of 2nd Age done)

Well defended this place... Omaz thinks as he looks over the map, then when the others speak, he agrees, "I am ready as well."

Grand Lodge

Lyra, Human Cleric of Sarenrae, 4

Thanks Tarlane. I have been doing a little reading up, and I did refer to him as "the Lost God" earlier. Although the details are great.(Keep the lengthy descriptions coming, btw. It fills the story out, at least in my opinion.) What Iridae is actually referring to is that maybe the temple could be rebuilt to Iomedae, as many of the other temples of Aroden have done. She might also suggest Shelyn, but Iomedae seems to be the more likely choice. That would suit Sam, eh? In any case she's upset that the townspeople have only an absent God or an Evil one to choose between. Any good deity would be a better choice.

@Liandra
I was actually using the Message Cantrip earlier. No need to lean in. The people I designate (and only they) can hear me up to 150 feet away as if I were whispering in their ear. They can also respond in kind. We've probably made use of this in our adventures together. ;) Sorry if I didn't make it clearer in the original description.


Female Half-Elf Rogue 3/ Urban Ranger 2

That works. It's funny, I always think of Message as hearing the Nextel chirp and then the other person's voice. ;)

Liandra smiles as Iridae speaks, happy to see her speak her mind.

"I'm far from the most religious person around, but I have to say, all that fiend worship crap really needs to come to an end."

She tilts her head from side to side, the vertibrae in her neck audibly cracking in sequence.

"Looks like we need to remove something that's poisoning the town, and sooner or later, the nation. Let's go save a country." she finishes with a roguish grin.


Male Deity (15 Power Point Currently, 3rd turn of 2nd Age done)

"We may not be able to do much about the temple. Unless they're aiding this treason, they will simply point out they have the right to worship as they please, and by Andoran law, they'be right." Omaz says, "But I wouldn't be surprised if they were encourging it somehow."

Andoran

Gaskar considers Iridae's question and nods. "You need not accompany me as a guard, perhaps my scribe. I do not expect much in the way of questions on our entrance unless they have greatly heightened security since the Baron's decision. I doubt he wants to give away his defection to the townsfolk before necessary so things should be running as normal. I thought that having my guards remain in town after my departure when I am without merchandise would make sense."

Flashing and a smile and a wink to the Oracle he adds "I don't think anyone would be surprised by my pretty scribe leaving my service to stay with the guards who are flush after their delivery."

Sorry I didn't get a post up yesterday. Normally Saturdays are busy for me, yesterday took that to the extreme. Is everyone ready to set off and was there any purchases which wished to be made on route or other preparations?


Male Human Holy Tactician / 5

Sam'hain eyes Omaz with obvious displeasure, though he grudgingly nods his head at the man's observation. His mouth tightens as if he had tasted something foul, then he turns to Gaskar. Indeed; it should seem commonplace for us to be at your side; a fine ploy. I'm certain that the veil of evil over that place will blind those loyal to the Baron's cause, and they will not see through our...ruse. It's obvious that Sam'hain would much rather challenge the Baron to individual combat to set the matter to bed, instead of employing subterfuge.

I will need food, but want for little else. If, that is, you are providing saddle and feet as well as mount.

Grand Lodge

Lyra, Human Cleric of Sarenrae, 4

Flashing and a smile and a wink to the Oracle he adds "I don't think anyone would be surprised by my pretty scribe leaving my service to stay with the guards who are flush after their delivery."

A sc-scribe would be f-fine, but why w-would I stay with guards who are f-flush? A deep rose stain colors Iridae's cheeks as she mentally answers her own question. Oh, I-I understand. She then tries to pull her unyielding cowl even further down over her face.

I think you've said we're somewhat fast forwarding the journey, that it won't have too many incidents. But I'm thinking Iridae will introduce herself a bit more on the trip-- at least to let her comrades know what abilities she offers the team. So let me know if this is a good time. Also Liandra-- will you be riding or taking the wagon? I'll react accordingly.


Female Half-Elf Rogue 3/ Urban Ranger 2

Aware of the message spell still active Liandra's mouth quirks slightly as she speaks quietly.

Celestial whisper:

"It's ok,he's not making fun of you, just a comment."

Liandra nods in agreement to the plan.

"I'll ride alongside the wagon, one up front, one behind and two alongside would make sense as appropriate protection from bandits and the like."


Male Human Holy Tactician / 5

Sam'hain nods at the wise suggestion then offers, not unexpectedly; I will take the front

Grand Lodge

Lyra, Human Cleric of Sarenrae, 4

Iridae is extremely uncomfortable journeying in the wagon with Gaskar, occasionally fading from view if she catches him glancing her way. It does help somewhat that Liandra rides close. She knows that her friend would never let anything unwanted happen to her.

Iridae is all but mute when it comes to speaking about her past. If Liandra offers her credit in some tale of adventure, Iridae will always try to deflect the glory back to her friend. With some encouragement from Liandra, Iridae will tell her new companions of her gifts. I-I have been b-blessed with some ability to heal. With a nudge from Liandra she continues. And... I can also offer some p-protections-- from evil and f-from the elements Another nudge. And... I c-can make fighters much stronger for a t-time. Another nudge. And.. I have some- some influence with wind and lightning for attack or d-defense. Another nudge. Totally embarrassed, Iridae disappears in plain sight.

The 3 main buffs Iridae offers are: Protection from Evil(+2 AC and +2 saves vs evil), Resist Energy (10 DR vs 1 energy type for 50 mins), and Bull Strength (+4 Strength for 5 mins).
If we are aware of upcoming combat, Iridae will offer one buff per character. Let me know what your usual preference is, and I'll set it up as a standard thing she does. (It can change with circumstances, of course.) But I'll give it to Tarlane as part of my standard prepping, to hopefully speed things along.

Iridae is a delightful companion on the road, not so much for her conversation, but she starts fires without a thought, she creates an endless supply of fresh water, and when we are late to set up camp, she is able to make the day last nearly an hour longer. And the pleasant breeze always coming from behind makes one think she would be greatly appreciated aboard ship.


Male Deity (15 Power Point Currently, 3rd turn of 2nd Age done)

"Sounds like that leaves me with the rear guard, as it were, but I'll serve wherever I'm needed."

Andoran

Alright, sounds like no other supplies are really needed, and since the goods Gaskar is hauling is food I think you are pretty well covered in that way Sam. I'm going to fast forward ahead a bit.

Packing up and setting out just after dawn the first day of the trip is extremely easy going, riding through rolling hills and beautiful farmland. The second day gets harder as you enter the mountains, though being on horseback makes things easier on your legs at least. By the afternoon the trail is steep enough that the horses are obviously straining to bring the wagon up and when the town is sighted not long before nightfall its a relief.

Gaskar for his part proves an amiable companion on the trip. A consummate salesman he has a knack for reading people well enough to put them at ease and spends much of the journey telling stories of his travels which in his youth were quite extensive.

Stopping far enough away that the high stone walls of the town can be seen where it sits tucked in a natural cove of the mountain, surrounded on three sides by sheer cliffs rising up to the peaks above. While the trail has been lightly wooded the area immediately around the town is cleared to give the men(from the distance it appears there are at least several in each tower) plenty of time to leave any approaching force riddled with arrows.

The single entrance into town is a solidly built gatehouse complete with portcullis, a group of 4 guards waits outside, greeting the small trickle of miners returning from their day's work.

Just beyond the town the trail narrows sharply along one of the mountain's walls, a perfect place to barricade and hold the trail against large numbers, the fact that makes this village so important.

Qadira

Male Human Bladebound Kensai 5

Sorry for the silence, things went horribly wrong at work, got called out. Had no idea when I left I'd be time traveling back to the 19th century. Back in the 21st century now, things should be back to normal.

As far as buffs, I'll open up with Mage Armor on myself. I don't need Bull's Strength.

Zarif rode along side the wagon for as much of the trip as he was able telling tales of daring from his homeland to whoever would listen.

When coming up to the encampment, he draws closer. "Have we come up with any plans to accomplish our tasks?"


Male Human Holy Tactician / 5

Bull's strength would be helpful indeed; Sam is a hands-on kind of guy

Sam'hain inclines his head to Zarif, thogh his eyes were still on the gate before them. We must first find out the allegience of the most notable and respected people in town, in accordance with the list that Gaskar has provided. If we start at the top, those who trust their leaders will see the truth of our ways. The knight seems sure of himself and his faith, and little could sway his conviction. He leans towards Zarif, almost as if he were speaking to a co-conspirator, though his booming voice only barely decreases in volume.

There may be a...problem, that I can see. I fear I'm not very accomplished at...well, at telling a lie. This falsehood has me bothered, though I understand that it's necessary. I fear that one who doubts us could see through me. Have you a practiced tongue at such things, Zarif?

He looks to the entrance, and drifts slightly away from Zarif, then turns to the man. We are the guard; we should introduce ourself and explain our goods. He draws his heels into his horse's flank, urging the beast forward and fully expecting his companions to fall into line. When he reaches the guards at the gate, he hails them. We bring goods for trade; a wide variety of them. What is the process for entering through your gates?

Qadira

Male Human Bladebound Kensai 5
Sam'hain wrote:
There may be a...problem, that I can see. I fear I'm not very accomplished at...well, at telling a lie. This falsehood has me bothered, though I understand that it's necessary. I fear that one who doubts us could see through me. Have you a practiced tongue at such things, Zarif?

Any good story is full of, shall we say, embellishments. While not, prone to outright dishonesty, I don't see a problem with a fib or false assumption here or there as long as it promotes the greater good.

When the caravan approaches the gate, Zarif does his best to look "guard like" maintaining a friendly smile, but keeping his mouth shut if not asked a direct question.


Male Deity (15 Power Point Currently, 3rd turn of 2nd Age done)

I maybe mistaken for some foreign mercenary. That will be annoying, but understandable.

Grand Lodge

Lyra, Human Cleric of Sarenrae, 4

Iridae had started to relax a little around her new companions, but at the city gate she resumes trying to be as inconspicuous as possible.


Female Half-Elf Rogue 3/ Urban Ranger 2

Liandra studies the gates and the defenses.

"Once we get inside we act like any other guard just off the road, fall in with the general populace, then start rooting through contacts for information."

Andoran

As the wagon approaches you get a better look at the guards, three of them seem to be in standard dress, chain shirts with crossbows slung over their backs and spears in their hand. The last is obviously a superior with a finely fitted breastplate and a longsword at his hip in addition to the standard fare of the others. It is this one who approaches, raising a hand for you to stop.

He looks up at Sam's address with a quirk of his brow, giving a slight smirk. "My my, aren't we formal?" He glances over towards the merchant, grinning as if pleased with himself. "How did some huckster like you pick up such a pretty boy, Gaskar? Sounds like he should be wiping a princes' bottom not sorting your messes!"

Gaskar for his part laughs along with the man and dips a hand in the wagon, tossing the guard a fresh green apple. "Come now, I'm behind on getting to the bounty and need to get on to my next shipment. I bet you haven't eaten anything that wasn't browning in a week, keep up your jokes and you'll be explaining to your men why they are living on salted pork for a month when I run this cart back down the hill!"


Male Human Holy Tactician / 5

Sam'hain's brows furrow, and he offers the guard a stern look, until Gaskar lightens the tension. Ah, a jest. I must be aware of such men and their ways. This is not the quiet inner sanctum of my church, and the men at arms here will be much like the soldiers I've led in the past.

The large knight draws up near the guard, his eyes scanning the wall and its inhabitants. He forces a smile at Gaskar's words, even though he wasn't paying much attention to the mens' banter. Catching the eyes of the others, he nods, then sits atop his horse to one side of Gaskar, awaiting their entry into the town.


Male Deity (15 Power Point Currently, 3rd turn of 2nd Age done)

Omaz makes a smile at the jest, and tries his best to otherwise look at ease.

Qadira

Male Human Bladebound Kensai 5

Zarif moves closer to the paladin as if trying to hear the conversation. Let it go Sam, think of the bigger picture. That's it, don't give this worm the satisfaction of getting a rise out you.

Grand Lodge

Lyra, Human Cleric of Sarenrae, 4

Hmm, they called Sam pretty, which must be even harder for a man. And yet, he seems unaffected by it. I wonder if I could learn to be so strong.


Female Half-Elf Rogue 3/ Urban Ranger 2

Liandra watches from her place near the carriage, studying the Paladin's reaction. Though he was far less prideful than the old days, these idiot guards were pushing their luck.

She glanced down at the crossbow she had sitting on the pommel of her saddle, making sure the loaded bolt was still ready.

Andoran

The guard seems to consider seems to consider giving a bit more of a hassle, anything to spice up the boring job after all but then he looks down at the apple in hand. Its obvious the idea of fresh food is a bit too much to pass up so he simply turns back to the others and calls for them to open up the gates and a moment later the wagon is within.

Gaskar looks around at the party, motioning straight down the keep road. "I need to drop off my goods at the Forest Bounty, though I should be safe within the gates if you all wish to take your leave. The Tucket's at the bounty are good people and should help me unload. I intend to drop stock and get out of here as quick as possible, would rather not be in town in morning." He gives a bit of an extra nod at that, making clear what he expects to come then.


Male Human Holy Tactician / 5

Sam'hain grunts. Would it not be unseemly for guards to leave their charge while he transfers goods? If you feel it's safe, perhaps we could visit the conquerer's tavern to find out what gossip is to be had. You'd still be within our sight..

He looks to each of his companions. What say you? Shall we visit the tavern, or is there a better option to start?. He turns to Gaskar. where will we be spending the night? We should stay under the same roof.


Male Deity (15 Power Point Currently, 3rd turn of 2nd Age done)

"I'm for the tavern though I'll be drinking lightly, you can be sure. No sense losing my head while we're here for information."

1 to 50 of 167 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Baron's Tower All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.