Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Temple of Elemental Evil - Delving the depths of the Abyss on Golarian.

Game Master Tirion Jörðhár

The classic AD&D Temple of Elemental Evil - with a Pathfinder and Golarian twist.

Village of Hommlet - with building numbers <-- Legend in Campaign Info


401 to 450 of 3,447 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)
Maegge wrote:
"Ale to a Dwarf is like Second Breakfast to Braden and me? Why didn't you say so three days go?! Second Breakfast is important!"

Tybek grins a happy smile under his bushy beard and gives Arindale a wink.

"Aye now we hae an understanding!! Once we get our coins sorted oot, we'll get a company fund tae keep our food and drink provisions in stock. Oi also loik the idea of a wagon. Now yer talkin, mae gud friend! Oi cannae wait!"

Arindale wrote:
Arindale gives the dwarf a grin and a quick shove in a friendly manner to make sure he knows he is kidding.

"Aye, Oi'm glad tae ken yer only jestin, but let's nae hae any mair laughs at the expense o' mae beard! It's tae serious o' a matter! But Oi dunnae if yae heard, Arindale, . . . " Tybek looks over his shoulder briefly and continues in a hushed voice. "Oi think Oi've made some great progress with the hobbit druid. Oi think he understands the importance o' fine brew now. Gie me a little time and Oi think Oi can get breakfast ale, second breakfast shot, lunch time brew, afternoon nip, dinner time slug, and after dinner snifter! Then if we need tae gae tae the pub after dinner, we can arrange fer that tae! He even suggested Oi get a wagon sae Oi can drink all day and ride in the back wid a keg or twa!"

Arindale wrote:
"Mayeb Ranim should talk to Jaroo, she seems to have a way with words and people, nothing personal Ty or Braden..."

"What?!!" Tybek replies loudly. "Are yae saying that Oi should haud mae wheest?!


[(HP 20/26 | AC15 T11 FF13 CMD16 | F+2 R+4 W+2 | Inish +1 Per +3 S.M. +5) Female Suli Bard 3
Arindale wrote:
"Mayeb Ranim should talk to Jaroo, she seems to have a way with words and people, nothing personal Ty or Braden..."
Tybek Odeon wrote:
"What?!!" Tybek replies loudly. "Are yae saying that Oi should haud mae wheest?!

Ranim gives a chuckle to the outburst, not quite understanding Tybek's words. "A trick my father would use when undergoing negotiations with certain types was to have my uncle announce his coming. While my father was a great performer and skilled at negotiating, my uncle had a way with words to put a person at ease. Perhaps I can do the same for Glorfin?"


Perception DC 18:

While you all are talking, you hear a low growling from somewhere in the trees off to the side of the path.

If you made the Perception:

Knowledge(nature) DC15:

It sounds like a bear.

I am still waiting for someone to do something. Yell, start a fire, cast Meteor Swarm, make insulting comments about druids, sacrifice one of the halflings, or whatever else you consider appropriate.


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32 Sure, NOW I roll a 20...!

Turning to the rest of the group, Maegge announces, "There's a bear in the grove. I'm guessing that means we're in the right place, since bears normally don't hang around town and it'd take someone with special skills like I met back in Wispil to keep one from attacking."

Sitting up taller on Gimpy, Maegge calls out to who he presumes to be Jaroo, "Hello, the grove! We are six travellers from Yanmass seeking Jaroo!"


After Maegge makes himself known to anyone in the vicinity. You hear some noises from behind the building and a minute later an elderly gentleman walks around wiping his mud covered hands on his pants and scowling at the party:

Whose making all the noise out here. Yer gonna scare off all the birds.


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

Maegge wrote:
""There's a bear in the grove. I'm guessing that means we're in the right place, since bears normally don't hang around town and it'd take someone with special skills like I met back in Wispil to keep one from attacking."

"Ach Aye! Yer not the only one tae hear the growlin! But whit makes yae think its a bear?! There are lot's o' beasties that ken hae tae growl! Hae dae yae ken that it isnae the wee wizard hobbit's stomach growlin fer his next meal?"

Elderly Gentleman wrote:
"Whose making all the noise out here. Yer gonna scare off all the birds."

"It isnae me!" Tybek shouts back, defensively. "This time it was the Druid and his horny elk, Gimpy!"

Upon seeing the elderly gentleman approach, Tybek comments. "Dannae look now, mae friends, but here comes a dirty auld man!"


Ignoring the odd comments from Tybek, the old man walks up and looks at each of you one at a time. When he gets to Ramin, he stops and looks at her and her eyes for what seems forever. However, when he gets to Glorfin and his celestial eyes, the old man looks for but a few moments before moving on.

Finally, he steps back and looks at you all.

Two little folk from the Verduran, a dwarf who likes his ale, another who is blessed of the heavens, a man of the cloth of the Lucky Drunk, and if I am not mistaken, one with the blood of genies in her veins. A strange group of adventurers if I may say so. So, what do you want and why are you scaring off all my animals?


Hobbit [hp = 19/22; AC14/T14/ff11; F +1; R+3; W+4 CMD 12]

Braden looks down his glasses at the old man.
Here is one who is an agent of good and an elder to be respected.

Deciding to bow first, "Braden Montajay, at your service." Not trusting himself to talk further, he hides behind Ranim like a child hiding behind a parent. He realizes he should transition the conversation to Ranim and fells compelled to add--"Ranim here can tell you without giving offense, er um, much better than I."

Braden looks around for fruit bearing trees.
A grove should have sweet fruits to pick.


The old man watches and listens as Braden answers. When Braden begins to look at the fruit on one of the trees the old man frowns again.

This is a place of worship, not a restaurant. If you want fruit, go to the Inn or talk to a farmer.


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)

Tybek walks up and gets straight to the point.

"Are yae Jaroo?!"


[(HP 20/26 | AC15 T11 FF13 CMD16 | F+2 R+4 W+2 | Inish +1 Per +3 S.M. +5) Female Suli Bard 3

She was used to people comparing her to the heavens, Shelyn knew it happened often enough when people became enamored with her while consuming their drinks. Though she is curious who possesses genie blood in this group, and how he could mistake any of them for a she. Must be a tad into his own beverage as well. "Master of the grove, we come bearing a mission from the Corpopral of Horse in Raev. I am called Ranim, and I must say it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Allow me to formally introduce my companions."

She gestures in turn to each as she speaks. "The two little folk as you say are Maegge and Braden. The priest is named Arindale. And the two dwarves are Tybek and Glorfin. We have come to offer our assistance in dealing with the missing caravans that have plagued this area. My companions can offer greater insight into the details." The last she gestures to Glorfin, recalling he had the dealings with the Corporal.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24


The elderly gentleman listens to Ranim, and then turns and looks at Glorfin waiting for his response. As he does so, he looks down at the emblem inscribed on Glorfin's shield and armor.

Knowledge(religion): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

Unable to contain himself any longer, he has to speak up, Yes, we are ready to lend a hand in whatever troubles may be in the area. We have strong arms and good hearts and are ready to vanquish any evils that may be near!
he boasts, trying to put in a good word for Ranim.

diplomacy assist other attempt 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

That should raise her check to a 26...


The old man glances up at Arindale, and then turns his focus back to Glorfin who Ranim indicated was to enlighten him on the purpose for the group being in Hommlet.


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

Oops, sorry for not rolling the Know: Nature. It was late, I was tired. 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16 I would've known anyway so no real harm done.


Profile not in use

Glorfin bows before Jaroo, dipping his head to where he loses sight of the druid so as to show trust. He then speaks "Our path began with Sergeant Iliev of the Magistrate of Yanmass, where it was learned that some of their men were lost near to here. From there the Corporal of the Horse passed on that the men were acting as mercenary guard for a caravan nearby. Strangers yet in this land, we were given your name Jaroo as a person we might speak with."

"I have set my purpose to recovering these men if it may be done, and if not then at least recovering evidence of their passing. Any assistance that you might offer would be welcomed"


The old gentleman listens and when Glorfin finishes, he puts his hand to his chin and thinks. Slowly looking from one of you to the next. While he is thinking, a huge black bear walks out of the trees next to him and sits down next to the old man, also watching you all. The old man reaches down and scratches the bear's chin.

I do not know who you are or why you are here. However, I have known Corporal of Horse Raev for many years. Although since the Taldor Horse pulled out of this area, I rarely see her any more. If she sent you here, then she obviously saw some good in you.

If you are seeking a missing caravan, then this is the last place to look. Bandits tend to avoid this village, and with good reason as we do not accept those who would cause us, or others harm. But, if you truly wish to fight for good, then the lands around here are rife with enemies, likely including whoever, or whatever, absconded with your caravan.

As for me, yes, I am Jaroo. I oversee my flock and tend to the weak. If you plan to spend much time in Hommlet, I would expect you to do the same. As he says this last, he glances over toward the side of the natural shrine where a large concave stone in the shape of a bowl has been placed and in which are laying several coins of various denominations. You can see several wolves, at least two to three sails, and even what appears to be the silvery shine of a falcon.


Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

I think we were hoping you could point us in the right direction? Maybe talk to a bird or a fox, something like that, anyways they could help is find out where some of these bad people are...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)
Jaroo wrote:
"As for me, yes, I am Jaroo.

"Ach! I knew it! He didnae fool me!"

Jaroo wrote:
"I oversee my flock and tend to the weak. If you plan to spend much time in Hommlet, I would expect you to do the same."

"Oi'd be happy tae help! Dae yae need mae tae clean oot yer pool? It looks loik somebody has left some shiny objects in the bottom. That cannae be good fer the wee animals who wantae hae a drink!"


Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

Why do I get the feeling I am watching a 3 stooges episode when Arindale and Tybek get to talking...now we just need the 3rd stooge...Braden maybe? lol


Grrr - posted a long response and it disappeared.

After listening to Arindale, Jaroo appears about ready to respond when Tybek begins. Jaroo patiently allows Tybek to stop speaking and then stands silently once again stroking his chin as he things. Finally he stares straight at Tybek and in a very serious voice says:

Master dwarf, I do not know where you are from. But in this town, if you steal from the offering plate, you will be lucky to leave town with both hands intact.

Turning back to Arindale: My brother of the cloth, I do not know what temple you were trained in, but while one such as I can speak to animals, the animals frequently have little care for bandits, unless the bandits are shooting at them. If it were that easy to track down the bandits, trust me, the Taldor Horse would have long since routed them.

With this Jaroo again looks from party member to party member, with his gaze again lingering on Ranim for an extended period as though trying to figure something out about her. Finally, he looks back at Glorfin.

Good dwarf, I am not familiar with the crest on your shield, but you clearly carry blood which bespeaks of a noble purpose and your manners speak similarly. If you and your companions wish to find who, or what, attacked the caravan, I would start where most adventurers who come through this town do, at the Inn. Many stories are to be heard there and a patient observant person may learn much.

Now then, I must get back to my vegetables, they do not weed themselves.
With this, Jaroo turns and begins to head back behind the cottage. He then stops and looks over his shoulder and glances at the stone basin. Your assistance and contributions to the needy of this town will be greatly appreciated.


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)
Jaroo wrote:
"Master dwarf, I do not know where you are from. But in this town, if you steal from the offering plate, you will be lucky to leave town with both hands intact."

Tybek replies with indignation at the though that he would steal.

"What?! This here pool is fer the money collection?! Oi had nae idea!! What daft eedjit wid put their money oot in the open fer all tae take?! Oi thought that Oi was just gae'n tae dae a service tae yae and all the wee animals. Oi wid never think o' stealin! What dae yae take me fer, a thief?! Yae dannae ken me, Jaroo, but Oi'm a clockmker true and true!"

Bluff 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (20) - 2 = 18 (+10 = 28)

"And tae prove it tae yae, Oi'll happily toss some sails in tae show mae thanks tae all the needy wee animals! Oi just hope they dannae try tae eat mae coins!"

Tybek takes out three sails, making them clearly visible, and tosses them into the pool.

Perception DC 37:

Sleight of Hand 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27 (+10 = 37)

With a quick sleight of hand, Tybek actually replaces the three sails with three caps and tosses the caps into the pool instead.


Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

Well that didn't go as I thought it would...but I guess we should keep him happy. He walks over and drops a silver in the bowl.

Well it's off to the Inn then, let go find us some ale and some adventure! and strides off in pursuit of the Welcome Wench...


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)
Arindale wrote:
"Well that didn't go as I thought it would...but I guess we should keep him happy."

"Aye dannae worry yerself. He ought tae be happy considerin all the money he was collectin! Gie em some time and he'll warm up tae us. Mebbae yae can buy em a drink tonight if he comes in tae the Welcome Wench!"

Arindale wrote:
"Well it's off to the Inn then, let go find us some ale and some adventure! "

"Aye, wait fer me, Priest. Oi dannae want yae tae hae tae sit all by yerself!"


Seeing Tybek pull out a few sails, Jaroo turns around and frowns even more.
Sails do not feed the hungry for long Master Dwarf. And remember, charity pays great rewards.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

Perception: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (5) + 15 = 20

Most interesting. First you all start by lying to a farmwife, now you are lying to and stealing from the the town's religious leader. If not for wasting double 20s, Tybek might find himself being escorted out of town by a black bear.


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

Tybek Odeon: Bluff 28, Perception 37 <--- Roll Hax!

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

"You all can go to the Inn, I think I'd like to stay a while and listen. It's very nice here, and Jaroo seems like a very interesting fellow. Besides, I can help with his weeding to make up for your," he looks at Tybek and Arindale, "antics."

DM Chaos/NPC Jaroo:

Maegge waits for the others to leave, and pulls out several sails (whatever the gold coins are) and drops it in the offering bowl. Patting Gimpy, he follows after Jaroo.

"Sir, have you even been to Wispil? You seem a lot like some of the druids I got to know there. May I help with the weeding?"

General chit-chat / trying-to-make-friends type stuff. Maegge will follow along to the Inn after an hour or so unless Jaroo gets tired of him sooner than that.


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)
Chaos wrote:

Seeing Tybek pull out a few sails, Jaroo turns around and frowns even more.

"Sails do not feed the hungry for long Master Dwarf. And remember, charity pays great rewards."

"Aye mebbae so, but until Oi find some work tae dae, that's aboot all Oi can afford! Oi can barely afford a place tae stay at the moment! If yae want tae talk aboot needy, yae can always talk aboot me!"

Chaos:
I just wanted to clarify that Tybek had nothing to do with the farmwife. Furthermore, he did not actually steal from the collection well. In fact he even added a few coppers, not much granted, but he did actually add to the collection pool. He just gets a little sensitive about being called a thief, and he already has a guilty conscious as it is. Tybek is simply trying to portray himself in a better light. You certainly cannot fault him for that! Also, I should not call those double twenties a waste! They actually came in rather helpful! :p


Profile not in use

Although Glorfin's face has remained unchanged, the area around his cerulean tinted eyes has tightened slightly. In a controlled and measured voice he challenges Jaroo before the man retreats from their side "It would seem that Corporal Raev was mistaken, she had implied that she might lead us to one that would be of assistance to us. All you have done is attempt to extort coins of gold from my companions with passive threats and guilt. Your only suggestion has been that we waste time idling in a tavern, no doubt draining our purses further while providing naught but questionable gossip and misdirection. Do you dismiss all who come before you with a hammer arm that might aid your beloved Hommlet?"

Stating facts as Glorfin sees it, we were told he'd help... and all he's done is attempt to extort money for the collection plate and fob us off to the tavern.


@ Glorfin
Jaroo looks down at Glorfin. Are you certain Corporal of Horse Raev said that I would help you? That does not sound like her. Or did she tell you that I might be able to assist you with your investigation.

I know the land hereabouts. I know the history of this area. If you come upon the name of a river or a copse of woods or some other landmark, I am the one most likely to be able to help you. As I told you before, my job is to tend my flock. For the past several months, most of my energy has been assuring that the land hereabouts has sufficient water for the crops and fruit to grow. I do not seek out bandits.

I already told you, bandits do not bother Hommlet. We have a strong militia and other resources such as the temple on the hill and the tower. The bandits know that such an attack would be futile. However, they have attacked caravans not far from here, you are lucky that none were on the road you followed to Hommlet. You came for help, and I told you where I thought you should start your investigation. I told you the place in this town where you were most likely to find the information you seek.

Once again, Jaroo turns to head back to his garden, but then he again stops and turns.
Oh, and you do not need to contribute to help those less fortunate here in Hommlet.


Hobbit [hp = 19/22; AC14/T14/ff11; F +1; R+3; W+4 CMD 12]

"Thank you, we can be found at the Inn."

Braden looks at Jaroo and asks for some parting advice important to him.

"Can you tell me what I can do to take care of my dog better? I really would like to make him happy and take care of him."
Braden affectionately scratches Dworkin behind his ears as he eagerly awaits Jaroo's response before leaving.


@ Braden - Jaroo looks at Braden. Treat the puppy kindly. Feed it well and learn about it. Caring for animals is just like any other profession. If you consider it a joke, you will fail. Your little friend can advise you in this just as well as I. If your dog is injured or sick, that I may be able to assist you with.
________________

Maegge:

As Jaroo returns to his garden, he turns and realizes that you did not follow your companions.

Jaroo watches you carefully and looks at Gimpy for a time as well: I do not think that I have ever met one of you little people who was so attuned to the pull of nature. Yes, I know many of the elder druids in the Verduran. Some I would even call my friends. I have not been there in several years, not since the troubles began to rise again in the area.

I would appreciate your help in the garden. No matter how many weeds I pull, there always seems to be a new one where I just weeded.


[(HP 20/26 | AC15 T11 FF13 CMD16 | F+2 R+4 W+2 | Inish +1 Per +3 S.M. +5) Female Suli Bard 3
DM Chaos wrote:
With this Jaroo again looks from party member to party member, with his gaze again lingering on Ranim for an extended period as though trying to figure something out about her. Finally, he looks back at Glorfin.

Ranim knows not what to make of the old man's gaze. Often men would stare at her, entranced by her supposed beauty, a feeling she had become accustomed to. But this felt different, not one thinking what may lie beneath the clothes, but rather beneath the skin. She thought to stay and ask, but the conversation changed to a different route, and Maegge had decided to stay. She decided she would return later, when time would allow to speak with the man uninterrupted by others.

Retrieving three sails of her own to match Tybek's generosity, she deposits them into the collection plate despite the accusations brought forth before taking her own leave of the grove.


Profile not in use

Glorfin bows again to the grove-tender, though this time purposefully holds his gaze throughout so as to never take Jaroo from his sight. "As you wish Jaroo... perhaps if I come across one of your flock in peril among the wastelands, I will hold to your words. After all, I need not aid them if I merely give them directions to your grove... where the help they need might be found."

Turning from the grove Glorfin then walks away without leaving any money in the basin, hand trembling slightly at his side as he restrains his feelings. Once out of Jaroo's earshot he adds to the others "I will meet you at this fabled inn soon, I need to walk and clear my head."

DM Chaos:
Glorfin would then walk the streets of Hommlet, not stopping to talk to anyone - instead getting some idea of the lay of the land and layout beyond what he has seen already.
Essentially just to get IC the information that is on the map you've provided.


Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

All'right Glorf, see you back at the tavern. being too dense to care about the encounter bothering the Dwarf.

Once at the tavern he sits and imparts his Wisdom to the others, You all seem to take stuff a little too seriously. So the old animal-lover wasn't much help, maybe he doesn't trust us enough yet to tell us where the treasure troves are. So what!
Anyways, let's listen around here and these loose lips will at least give us something. Where is that Welcome Wench?


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)

As Tybek exits the grove, he sympathizes with his kinsman.

"Aye, that fella sure is queer! Dannae ferget whit he said. He isnae here tae help. He's here to assist. He seems wrapped up in the semantics o' words if yae ask me. Oi think he wid dae well wid a few lessons at Braden's Charm School! Well, Oi'm gae'n tae accompany Arin tae the Wench. Oi dannae wantae see the lad get intae trouble and all. But let me ken if yae find anither place in toon tae sack oot."

Tybek walks with Arindale as the company starts to spread out and go their own ways. Once inside, he looks around, appraising the Inn, to see how clean the place is.

"Arin, mae friend, dannae be lookin fer the Wench. It's just the name o' the place. If yae dae find one, dannae be tae eager to tak her back tae the room. She'll mair than likely rob yae blind. Let's just make oorselves comfortable in the tap room and hoist a few in the good name o' yer deity, Cayden Cailean."


Glorfin:

As you see from the map, the town is not that large. Most seems to be centered around the Inn and the area around there. The road to the east continues out between two small hills, the one to the south of the road on which a newly constructed tower stands and around which new battlements are currently being constructed. North of the road at the same point are a group of tents which appear to be laborers for the construction of the battlements, and presumptively eventually a castle will stand on the hill protecting the village. Past the tower (and off the map) are a few more farms, not appearing as well off as those closer to the middle of town, but still fertile and green, unlike the land beyond which once again shows the signs of drought once the fields end. There is also a small and little used path which you notice heading northeast off the road just past the tower. It appears to have little or no traffic and you do not see any footprints on it. It might just be a game trail as you do see small hoof marks and a few paw marks.

On the branch to the north, the road travels up a hill. On the left by the small river is what appears to be a brewery (better not tell Tybek about that one) and a little further up the hill is a very new temple dedicated to Iomedae. Past this, and also on the road to the west that you passed upon arriving in town, are more small farms with green vegetables and grains growing after which the drier drought stricken hills once again begin.

___________
@ Those heading to the Inn:

The square wooden sign shows a buxom and smiling girl holding a flagon of beer. This must be the Inn of the Welcome Wench, a place renowned for its good food and excellent drink! Passing merchants make a point of stopping, as do many other sorts of wayfarers, and it is said that the place is always filled with patrons.

Upon entering the Inn's common room:
This large place is bright and cheerful. It contains several rough-hewn tables and chairs, boards, and benches. Natural tree trunk pillars support the ceiling overhead, all dark with smoke and age. A motley group of people is here.

4d4 ⇒ (2, 1, 1, 1) = 5

At present there are five individuals about the place, three sitting at one table appear to be a merchant and his guards. The others look like locals simply deciding to get an early start on their drinking. The Innkeeper is also behind the bar cleaning and drying mugs while one serving girl looks rather bored on an obviously slow day.

It is currently about 3p.m., several hours before sundown.


[(HP 20/26 | AC15 T11 FF13 CMD16 | F+2 R+4 W+2 | Inish +1 Per +3 S.M. +5) Female Suli Bard 3
Glorfin Umbar-Caeli wrote:
Turning from the grove Glorfin then walks away without leaving any money in the basin, hand trembling slightly at his side as he restrains his feelings. Once out of Jaroo's earshot he adds to the others "I will meet you at this fabled inn soon, I need to walk and clear my head."

"We shall await your return, Glorfin."

Arindale wrote:

Once at the tavern he sits and imparts his Wisdom to the others, You all seem to take stuff a little too seriously. So the old animal-lover wasn't much help, maybe he doesn't trust us enough yet to tell us where the treasure troves are. So what!

Anyways, let's listen around here and these loose lips will at least give us something. Where is that Welcome Wench?
Tybek Odeon wrote:

Tybek walks with Arindale as the company starts to spread out and go their own ways. Once inside, he looks around, appraising the Inn, to see how clean the place is.

"Arin, mae friend, dannae be lookin fer the Wench. It's just the name o' the place. If yae dae find one, dannae be tae eager to tak her back tae the room. She'll mair than likely rob yae blind. Let's just make oorselves comfortable in the tap room and hoist a few in the good name o' yer deity, Cayden Cailean."

Ranim followed Tybek and Arindale back to the Inn, curiousity about the old man's gaze falling away as she decides what songs would be appropriate.

As they enter and the other two ramble on, she muses to herself aloud. "I wonder if you two could have such natural interactions in front of a crowd. People love comedy routines afterall." Her smile betrys the jest as she considers the crowd. "If you will excuse me."

Ranim starts by heading to the Innkeeper, "Good day master Innkeep. My name is Ranim, and I am a traveling singer and dancer. I would gladly like to offer my services this evening, to entertain your patrons. And would like to inquire about rooms for this evening as well?"

Let me know what it'll cost for two rooms. One for Ranim, and one for the others ;p

After dealing with the Innkeeper, Ranim will order drinks for the merchant and his guards, and head over to their table. "Would you gentlemen mind if I sit with you for a round?" Assuming they consent, Ranim will sit and speak with them. "I was curious about the roads in this area. I had heard tales of banditry, attacks on caravans. Seeing that you are obviously a skilled merchant, have you had any such experiences? It's a most frightening topic."

Diplomacy (Gather Information): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30


@ Ramin:
As you walk up to the innkeeper, he stops drying the mug he was working on and wipes his hands on his apron.

Afternoon lass, what can I do for you. I am Ostler Gundigoot and welcome to the Inn of the Welcome Wench. The best inn between Yanmass and Galt, and probably better then any in either of those places as well.

When you ask about work and rooms:

Well now Miss Ranim. I cannot just be giving away rooms for free. I will have to see how good a performer you are. We have had some very skilled bards pass through this Inn over the years, and I have had to ask more than a few to leave before too much of my food was thrown at others. As you I am sure can see, trade is not what it used to be with the bandit activity hereabouts. However, if your ability to sing and dance is as beautiful as your face, then I would have no problem offering dinner on the house, and perhaps a discount on the room.

As he says this, a portly lady walks out from the kitchen and frowns at the innkeeper.

After turning slightly red from the silent admonishment, the innkeeper continues.

As far as the rooms go, I have several available. I have my best suite for seven sails a night, although looking at your crew, I am guessing that is not what you are looking for. I have several larger rooms for one or two sails a night, a small room for five wolves, and if you do not mind sharing space, bunks in the dormitory are only one wolf a piece.
____________________

@ Ramin with merchants:
As you slide in with the merchant and his guards, they look rather surprised to see a beautiful woman join them. You chat with them and they are quite friendly telling you that they make the trip to Hommlet every two to three weeks to help resupply the trader across the river. They tell you that they have not been attacked by bandits, but have seen them watching the caravan on more than one occasion which the guards find quite troubling. Neither the guards nor the merchant know why their caravan has not been attacked on these occasions.

The guards also mention that they are even more concerned about the strange weather recently. When he says this, he makes some strange sign which you assume is a form of prayer to whatever deity he reveres. However, the other guard then speaks up and says that the money they make from running this route is more than worth it and they are able to spend a week in Yanmass after every trip to see their families. This brings a smile to his lips.


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

Geez, what's with all the 20s lately? My wizard in another game just got gunned down (literally) by a non-confirmed crit, Tybek rolls two in a row and now Ranim's getting in on it... sheesh! lol

GM Chaos/NPC Jaroo:

Maegge helps Jaroo weed the garden, talking intermittently about who they may know in common back in Wispil. When the gardening is finished, he stands up and bids the old man farewell before heading to the Inn to find Braden, Tybek, and the others.

Walking into the Welcome Wench after bidding Gimpy stay outside in front for the moment, Maegge heads to the bar and orders an ale - just as promished to Tybek.

When the bartender places the seemingly gigantic mug in front of him, he blurts, "It comes in pints?"


[(HP 20/26 | AC15 T11 FF13 CMD16 | F+2 R+4 W+2 | Inish +1 Per +3 S.M. +5) Female Suli Bard 3
DM Chaos wrote:

Well now Miss Ranim. I cannot just be giving away rooms for free. I will have to see how good a performer you are. We have had some very skilled bards pass through this Inn over the years, and I have had to ask more than a few to leave before too much of my food was thrown at others. As you I am sure can see, trade is not what it used to be with the bandit activity hereabouts. However, if your ability to sing and dance is as beautiful as your face, then I would have no problem offering dinner on the house, and perhaps a discount on the room.

As he says this, a portly lady walks out from the kitchen and frowns at the innkeeper.

After turning slightly red from the silent admonishment, the innkeeper continues.

As far as the rooms go, I have several available. I have my best suite for seven sails a night, although looking at your crew, I am guessing that is not what you are looking for. I have several larger rooms for one or two sails a night, a small room for five wolves, and if you do not mind sharing space, bunks in the dormitory are only one wolf a piece.

Ranim smiles to the woman as she comes out, giving a knowing glance as the innkeeper looks away. "Then I shall take a smaller room for myself for the evening, and one of the larger ones for my companions."

Deducting 2 sails and 5 wolves, let me know if that isn't sufficient.

____________________

DM Chaos wrote:

@ Ramin with merchants:

As you slide in with the merchant and his guards, they look rather surprised to see a beautiful woman join them. You chat with them and they are quite friendly telling you that they make the trip to Hommlet every two to three weeks to help resupply the trader across the river. They tell you that they have not been attacked by bandits, but have seen them watching the caravan on more than one occasion which the guards find quite troubling. Neither the guards nor the merchant know why their caravan has not been attacked on these occasions.

"Curious indeed. I haven't heard of bandits being overly selective. Perhaps it's the goods you carry, or the quality of guardsmen?"

DM Chaos wrote:
The guards also mention that they are even more concerned about the strange weather recently. When he says this, he makes some strange sign which you assume is a form of prayer to whatever deity he reveres. However, the other guard then speaks up and says that the money they make from running this route is more than worth it and they are able to spend a week in Yanmass after every trip to see their families. This brings a smile to his lips.

Ranim takes note of the the guards topic, having silently decided to work some songs in from Yanmass as her way of saying thanks for the information. "Yes, just the other day there seemed to be a strange storm, amidst this dry weather."

Knowledge (Religion) to identify Symbol: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

Arindale looks to the serving girl, Hello lass, why don't you bring us a few Ales. We are adventurers who are a little parched from a long time on the road! Right Ty?


Maegge:

Once you are back in the garden weeding, Jaroo looks at you and speaks to you in a strange language, that sounds like a cacophony of nature's animals, you recognize from hearing the old druids in the Verduran.

In Druidic:
So, why are you and your rather . . . socially challenged . . . friends here? You do not seem to fit with the rest. A female entertainer with the blood of genies. A dwarf with the blood of angels, but all the stubbornness of a dwarf. Another dwarf who sounds like he grew up a street urchin somewhere to the south. Your halfling friend who has the social skills of a rotten turnip. And finally the human who revers the god of drink, but is the politest of the group.

I have been here many years and have seen many groups of adventurers seek their fortunes in the caves and ruins that dot these hills. Far fewer returned to Yanmass and Galt than came. So, I will ask you again. Why have you all come here? Simply seeking vengeance on the bandits who took out a caravan seems rather noble, but also a bit of a far fetched story.

With that, Jaroo stops weeding and looks over at you waiting for an answer.

@ Ranim - that is fine. It will be tight and there is only two beds, but if some of the guys do not mind sleeping on the floor, there should be no problem.

@Arindale - The serving girl smiles at the request. You all want to buy by the mug? Or I can get you a gallon pitcher and four mugs. It is 4 wolves per mug for local ale, or 15 wolves for the pitcher. Figure there are 6 mugs in a pitcher. Or if you would like, we have some less expensive dwarven stout - it is from Mehato, not the best stout, but far superior to the other less expensive alternatives. The stout is 6 caps a mug. If you are feeling like splurging, we also have Luglurch Ale at 6 wolves, rare Linnorm Mead for 15 wolves a mug, and local beer for 2 wolves a mug.

She pauses for a second and looks at the inkeeper, then turns back. Oh, I almost forgot, we also have some Five Kings Mead if you like a better quality dwarven brew. It is 7 wolves per mug. . . If you do not like brewed drinks, we also have a fair selection of wines and some harder spirits as well. She pauses and takes another breath. And me know if you would like anything to eat. There are some snacks on the bar, and we have venison, salmon and I believe wild boar tonight should you want an early dinner.

Food & Drink Prices:

Meals
Breakfast, plain 5 sp
Breakfast, elaborate 1 gp
Lunch, plain 6 sp
Lunch, elaborate 15 sp
Dinner, plain 8 sp
Dinner, elaborate 2 gp
Dinner, 7 course 5 gp

Common Drink(per pint)
Ale 4 sp/mug, 15 sp/gallon
Luglurch Ale, special 6 sp/mug
Dwarven Stout, 6 cp/mug
Beer, heavy 2 sp
Mead 7 sp/mug
Linnorm Mead, special brew 15 sp

Wines(per pint)
* Table, local 3 sp
* Corentyn Wine 15 gp/bottle
* Cheliaxian lilac 5 sp
* Taldan white 1 gp
* Osinari ruby 2 gp
* Qadiran emerald pale 4 gp
* Kyonin fireamber 9 gp

Brandies(per gill)
* Local 3 sp
* Five Kings Dwarven 1 gp
* Sagavan(special aged) 3 gp

Liqueur
Whiskey, Dragon Punch, 15 gp/cup

--> The food is a little more expensive, but is very good. Salmon, veal, venison, hare and other fares, both exotic and local are available.

EDITED - Suddenly realized that I still had a few drinks priced in Electrum Pieces, pretty sure that would just confuse the heck out of most people. Prices should be correct now.


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)
Ranim wrote:
" "I wonder if you two could have such natural interactions in front of a crowd. People love comedy routines afterall."

"Oi heard that, Bard! What dae yae find sae funny aboot the way we talk? Yae cannae be serious aboot us performin fer an audience. Mind yae, Oi'm still hopin tae accompany yae with mae drums when yae really want tae gie an outstanding performance, and Oi'm nae talkin aboot standin outside either!"

Maegge wrote:
Walking into the Welcome Wench after bidding Gimpy stay outside in front for the moment, Maegge heads to the bar and orders an ale - just as promished to Tybek. When the bartender places the seemingly gigantic mug in front of him, he blurts, "It comes in pints?"

"Aye, that's the way yae do it! Come and bring that mug o'er here and let us hae a drink together!"

Arindale wrote:
"Hello lass, why don't you bring us a few Ales. We are adventurers who are a little parched from a long time on the road! Right Ty?"

"Aye, yae got that richt! We hae been travelin all day long, and its aboot time fer a wee bit o' refreshment. Tell me, lass, dae yae hae any dwarven brews back there?"

Serving Wench wrote:
"Oh, I almost forgot, we also have some Five Kings Mead if you like a better quality dwarven brew. It is 7 wolves per mug. . . "

"Seven wolves a mug?!!! What are yae daein exploitin the gud dwarves o' the town wid prices like that?! Whit happened tae high quality at prices we can afford?! If yae cannae come down in price then yae gie mae nae choice but tae gae with the Maheto Stout! But Oi'm gonnae hae tae talk tae yer Innkeeper aboot tryin tae bring down the price o' Five Kings. If this is due tae the bandits, we are goin tae hae mair work tae dae than Oi planned!"


The serving girl looks at Tybek and just shakes her head.

You are welcome to go to the next tavern and see if they have cheaper Five Kings Mead. Just to the south of here you will find the Curly Dragon, it is on the outskirts of Yanmass. Or, you can head east, I am sure that you will find the Usurper's Throne to your taste, it is in Galt. You may not have noticed, but this is the only Inn for three days travel by horseback, four on foot.

Turning to the rest of the group, and focusing on Arindale: So, what will it be while your grumpy friend counts his coins?


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

DM Chaos/NPC Jaroo:

At being put to the question, Maegge sighs before replying in Common, "Truth be told, I know little of what motivates my fellow travelers. I rescued Gimpy - the elk - from a Lumber Consortium trap and that's when I first felt the true call of Nature. I've been fleeing their thugs for the last two weeks. Braden, I think, got tired of being a shopkeeper and wanted to see the world. Glorfin, the stubborn one, was in military training his whole life before being Called by his god the night before he was supposed to take his vows. He doesn't like to talk about it. Or anything else, actually. The other Dwarf... sometimes he seems shifty about something or other and it's like there's something he doesn't want to talk about; he likes to complain and drink a lot. The man seems to be interested in ale and gold, in that order. The woman - with Genie blood? - I haven't spoken with much but it seems like she's from a family of travelers. As for how we came together, I'm not entirely sure but I think it's as simple as it was something to do: we're all strangers in a strange land, united by our lack of ties to anyone else around here. The bounty on bandits helped, and it seemed better to band together with all our different skills than set out all on our own."

Maegge hesitates a minute as if contemplating the possibility of seeming foolish, before continuing, "The night before we left Yanmass, I had a dream. I was being chased by fire and lightning and there were earthquakes and I was about to fall into a pool of water with no bottom and that's when I woke up to see a violent storm with more lightning than I've ever seen before and ferocious wind and rain. Coupled with the dream... it didn't seem right, like it wasn't natural."

"Just two days ago on our way here it snowed overnight! It's been very hot for weeks and the land is parched with draught, and suddenly it got cold and snowed before getting hot again and all melting within hours. And this morning there was an earthquake! I'd never been in one before, but the Dwarfs said it was unusual for such a thing in an area like this."

"Umm, does that answer your question? I didn't understand you too well, though I got parts of it. Like I said, I was in Wispil for a while and learned some things but couldn't stay because that's when the Lumber Goons came after me."


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)
Serving Girl wrote:
"You are welcome to go to the next tavern and see if they have cheaper Five Kings Mead. Just to the south of here you will find the Curly Dragon, it is on the outskirts of Yanmass. Or, you can head east, I am sure that you will find the Usurper's Throne to your taste, it is in Galt. You may not have noticed, but this is the only Inn for three days travel by horseback, four on foot."

"Ach! Oi just came frae Yanmass! Yae cannae expect me tae gae back there when Oi just arrived! Aye, back in moi home this is whit Oi wid call a bloody monopoly! We'll see aboot yer prices soon enough after Oi talk tae yer boss! Jist get me mae Maheto Stout!"


Hobbit [hp = 19/22; AC14/T14/ff11; F +1; R+3; W+4 CMD 12]

That Jaroo was somewhat unhelpful: I agree with Glorfin 100% on this one.

At the Inn Braden looks at his purse and finds himself short of coin. It looks like it will be only the elaborate dinner for him.

Braden reluctantly brings out two sails to pay for his dinner. He makes sure Maegge has the money to buy a decent dinner too.

"Well water and an elaborate dinner please."

As dinner is served: "Any news about happenings around here?"


Maegge:

Jaroo stops as you open up and listens to your story. When you finish, he stares off into space for a minute or two, long enough that you are about to interrupt him to see whether perhaps he had fallen asleep. Then he turns back to you:

Interesting. So you have little or no training as a druid. I have heard of the spirits of the natural world calling to those in need, but it is rather unusual. The fact that you were allowed to overhear and learn the language of the druids, which is actually more the language of nature, bespeaks the fact that the druids of the Verduran foresaw in you a tie with nature. Only those with ties to the druidic calling are allowed to learn the language, and we guard it from those who do not have such ties to nature.

However, your dreams are very disturbing. What do you know of the history of this part of Taldan?


___________________
@ Tybek - The serving girl appears to either not have heard your complaining or completely ignored it. But a few minutes later she does give you the requested Maheto stout. And as you recall from Maheto, there is a reason the bitter brew is the least expensive on the list of alcoholic beverages.

@ Braden - As it is still quite early, the stoves were not yet lit, so it takes a while for your dinner to arrive, but it was well worth the wait. The dinner starts with a quails egg poached and seasoned to perfection. Next is roasted boar, again perfectly seasoned with a side of vegetables which if you had to guess had not been picked more than thirty minutes earlier. And to finish it is a sweet custard topped with fresh berries.

The girl looks rather bewildered by your question about news in the area and if you had to guess, while quite cute, she is probably not the sharpest person in town.


Profile not in use

DM Chaos:
The heat that rose within his demeanor gradually seeped away as Glorfin reviewed the town's layout. noting in particular that the village seems to have little by way of external defenses. He notes also the Iomedaen temple, though does not pay his respects there either. The presence of arable land within the drought is strange to him, and he guesses that Jaroo may likely be responsible for it.

Glorfin arrives at the inn to find all have already spread within to food, drink and song. At the sight of the exhorbitant prices the stoniness descends once more upon his features. Deciding for at least the moment to refrain from either food or drink, Glorfin takes a seat near to a wall where he might look over the common room... and waits.


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)

Tybek takes a slug of his stout and declares, "Ach! I dannae ken why Oi drink this stuff, but the fact that it come frae Maheto and twa, it is priced richt! But, Oi suppose it is still better than water. Oi wonder if Oi could buy Five Kings cheaper by the keg?!"

After some refreshment and looking at Braden's feast, Tybek's stomach begins to grumble. Finally he calls the serving wench over and says, "Oikay, Oi've decided tae hae one o' yer simple meals, but wid yae keep it doon on the vegetables. Oi dannae wannae hae tae pick throug 'em tae find the meat!"

401 to 450 of 3,447 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Temple of Elemental Evil - The black heart of natural catastrophe. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.